• Published 18th Feb 2016
  • 3,201 Views, 211 Comments

For Want of a Vampire - David Silver



Richard Von Dracula is a very proud vampire, from a very proud lineage. Well, he was, until his blood seemed to sour. All he produces these days are bats. Not even normal bats. Bat ponies! They're not even VAMPIRE bat ponies! He's forced to make do.

  • ...
12
 211
 3,201

1 - His Blighted Demesne

This is a story about a man, or at least what was once a man. Where a man was, there was instead a creature, no, a monster! This monster knew the sweet taste of the blood of his fellow men and women, and enjoyed it, for he was a vampire. He sat up in his bed, more a coffin than anything else. The lid rose without being touched, allowing him to sit up unchallenged. "Lady..." His face contorted into a grimace. "Lilly Candy, come, attend me."

The sound of clops echoed through the cavernous hallways of his castle. The source of those clops became clear as a pony emerged from a nearby door. "You called, mister Richard?" Despite being a small pony, she had the voice of a grown woman. "Good to see you awake, sir."

Richard stood up as if propelled by unseen forces, simply rotating to a standing position. "That's lord, Lilly. Tell me you have good news."

Lilly tapped at her light-colored chin gently. "An intruder tried to sneak in, sir. I caught them!"

Richard perked up at that. Perhaps the night would be far from a loss. "Did you now? Did you drain him dry of his vital essence for his impudence?"

Lilly shook her head. "Oh, no! Ew..." She licked over her fangs, which looked serviceable for blood-drinking, but... "You know I don't like that, sir. He had an apple though, sir. I took it, and kicked him out."

Richard scowled at her. "You let him go?" His eyes glowed red with fury as he slammed down a fist on the edge of his coffin.

Lilly shrank away from him. "I-I'm sorry, sir... I guess we're not having a treat tonight?"

Richard covered his face with a hand. "No, I'm afraid not, Lilly. Return to your patrol. If you see another human, subdue and hold them if you can't be tasked with draining them dry."

She pouted at the lost reward, but nodded at his order and scurried off, her clops heard even as she moved far away, at least to Richard's sensitive ears. He was a vampire after all, straight from the original Dracula's lineage. He had power beyond measure! Richard looked to his slightly trembling hands. He had the power to shape the world, but not to make proper spawn... It was maddening, and embarrassing.

With powerful strides he approached a heavy set of double doors. With the barest flick, they swung open wide before him without any actual contact, and he walked past them out onto a balcony. He could see his castle, and the demesne beyond. It wasn't familiar. They had moved again. Looking out beyond the walls he knew well, he saw a winding trail leading to a small town. What country were they in? He didn't trust Lilly to have that information. Perhaps his curse had lifted, and he could get useful information. Yes... That night already looked like a fine night for a hunt.

He spread his arms and launched into the night sky in the form of a true bat, rapidly approaching that small village, full of delicious necks and unwary victims. They would make such delightful noises when he found the right one, yes indeed.

As he flew, he saw one outside. A man, a young man. Richard estimated him to be in his mid twenties at best, somewhere from twenty-three to twenty-six. He wore the clothing of a banker or something similar to it, and looked to be in a hurry. Perhaps work had caused him to tarry until long after the sun had set. His misfortune... Richard's fortune.

He dove at the man, and could hear him whistling some nameless tune. He was entirely unaware of the danger approaching him, and that was just fine by Richard. He landed on the ground and flowed upwards into his full height, creeping without sound behind his victim with a sneer, fangs displayed. Just as he was about to make his lunge, the man spun around and blinked. "Oh, uh, hey? Looking for the tavern?"

Richard raised a brow. Perhaps the darkness had hid his monstrous nature. It would work just as well. "Ah, my good boy. It's so nice to see a friendly face." He was wearing glasses, and the faint rustling sounded like writing pens and other equipment. Banker, Richard was more convinced by the moment. Perhaps he would have some money as an extra bonus, and that might reveal what country they were in.

The man smiled, seemingly unaware of any danger. "Hey, it's alright. Crazy accent you have there. You from... Germany or somewhere around there?"

"Ah, yes, somewhere about there." Richard didn't care to explain his illustrious heritage to the young man. "My carriage caught in some mud outside of town, perhaps you could help me?"

He frowned at that, looking concerned. "Aw, man, that's terrible." He lifted up his hands, balled as if showing off his mediocre physique. "If I can lend a hand, sure. We'll have it moving if we both push it together."

"Ah, yes, teamwork." What a revoltingly human concept that was. "It's just this way. It shouldn't be hard, with the both of us." He began to lead the man away. "I didn't catch your name?"

"I didn't toss it," replied the man. "Name's Rick though."

"Richard."

"Crazy." Rick moved up beside Richard. "We have the same name, just different countries. How wild is that?"

"A sign that tonight... is a very special night." Richard smiled, fangs just faintly exposed, but in the dark, Rick took no notice of them.

He did take notice when he was out of sight of anyone else in town, and Richard jumped at him. He made the sweetest little gurgle as Richard's fangs found his throat and sank deep, tapping into the sweet blood trapped inside that ugly human form. Power flowed through him as his hunger abated. He could have stopped there, left Rick to awaken sometime later, scared, confused, but alive. No. Richard had to know if his curse remained. Rick was a small sacrifice to discover the truth.

Author's Note:

Welcome to a new story! What terrible curse haunts our vampire, exactly, and how will Rick handle it, if he's still alive to handle it?

Will we find out!?

I bet we will.

Find typos? Let me know!

Love it! Let me know!

Hate it? I still want to hear from you!