• Published 16th Jun 2012
  • 1,826 Views, 19 Comments

Octavia and her family - Bookworm24



Octavia talks with her parents

  • ...
1
 19
 1,826

Chapter 1

Octavia opened the door to her dressing room and sighed. She had just completed a three hour tribute to Beehoofven and Motztrot for a fundraising concert. Hopefully they could reach their goal of 50,000 bits for the local hospital. It was a shame that Vinyl couldn't be there but she had an important gig to do. Besides, Octavia couldn't see Vinyl dressing up for one of her concerts. Octavia pictured Vinyl dressed up in a sensible dress and she chuckled to herself.

After gently placing her beloved cello in its case, she proceeded to prepare a much needed hoof soak bath by filling a small plastic tub with warm water, plopping in a soothing eucalyptus tablet and dipping her hind hooves in the warm bath.

"Ahhh." She sighed. "I desperately needed this." Playing the cello, she was used to being on her hind hooves, but she never had to stand on them for three straight hours! She had never done a concert that was this long, but she hoped a music critic was in the audience and maybe she'll get a good review.

As she relaxed in her bath she looked on the couch side table and saw the picture she had of Vinyl Scratch. A few months ago, if anypony had told her she would have fallen in love with the crazy DJ, she would have had them committed. But during the royal wedding, Vinyl threw a pie at her because she called her "loud and obnoxious". Dripping with pie, she chased Vinyl into the royal hedge maze and it was in there that the two fell in love.

Just as Octavia was about to drift off to sleep from sheer relaxation, there was a knock at her door. "Who is it?" She called.

"It's your family!" A familiar voice replied.

Octavia was relieved to hear her mother's voice. Hopefully she wasn't alone. Octavia quickly cleaned up her hoof bath before she called "Come on in."

The door opened and in strode three ponies. "Oh darling, you were magnificent, simply magnificent!" Viola said smiling at her daughter.

"Thank you mother. Hello Father. Hello Grandpa." She said to the two stallions behind her mother.

"Hello dear." Bandstand said beaming at his daughter. I was completely enraptured in your entire performance. Although I must say I was worried that your cello strings might snap."

Octavia nodded in agreement. "I was afraid of that too, but thankfully they held strong."

"I just can't wait to hear you play again." Viola said

"Oh mom." Octavia said smiling and rolling her eyes. " Let me rest from this concert before we plan the next one."

"Your right dear." Viola smiled. "We'll discuss future concerts at home."

Octavia realized now was as good as ever to tell her parents about what she was planing. "Mom...Dad." She sighed. "About home...I'm thinking about moving out."

Viola and Bandstand's eyes widened upon hearing this. "What do you mean your moving out?" Bandstand said slightly annoyed. "Where are you going to live?"

Octavia took a huge breath before answering her father. "I met somepony who really makes me happy and I think I should live with them."

Both parents were elated! "You found somepony! That's great Octavia! Who is he? Viola said.

"Yes!" Bandstand said pushing for more details. "Have we met him? What does he do?"

"Who is this charming looking mare in this picture?" Bugle Scout said pointing to the picture of Vinyl.

Octavia had been avoiding this moment for months since she met Vinyl and now she found she could avoid it no more. She had heard about how scared Vinyl was when she told her mother, but Vinyl told her that getting it off her chest was the best feeling in the world. She just hoped that her parents would take the news as well as Bea did.

Octavia sighed and started answering her families questions. "Her name is Vinyl Scratch, Grandpa. She's a DJ. I'm going to be moving in with her..."

"Your stallionfriend has her for a roommate?" Bandstand interrupted.

"No dad. She's *gulp* she's my marefriend." Octavia said shaking slightly

"Well I think It's good your friends with your stallionfriend's roommate. Viola said.

"NO! You don't understand! I don't have a stallionfriend! I'm in love with Vinyl! I'm gay!" Octavia shouted, tears welling in her eyes.

A long silence hung over the entire room like a fog cloud that was broken by Bandstand as he tried to find his voice.

"I...uh...whu...whu.....HUH? He finally exclaimed

Octavia had tears rolling down her cheeks as she looked at her parents pleadingly. "Mom. Dad. Please don't be mad, but I love Vinyl. I love her so much."

Bandstand looked at Octavia disapprovingly. "You must be joking. I can't believe what I'm hearing."

Octavia looked at her father. "Dad, it's no big deal."

"No big deal!?" He shouted. "My own daughter loves mares! MARES!! I can't believe this. My own daughter is a..is a..." Bandstand then proceeded to call his daughter a majorly taboo term.

The effect of the insult on Octavia was instantaneous. She crouched low and backed up until she was against the wall, looking just like a kicked puppy. "But dad!"

" Don't 'But dad' me Octavia! Maybe It's a good thing your moving out." Bandstand said before heading for the door. "Come on dear. We're leaving."

After Bandstand left, Viola walked up to her sobbing daughter and said "Don't worry dear. We'll discuss this when you get home." Before kissing her on the forehead and following her husband out of the room.

Octavia curled up on the floor like a little filly, crying like never before. All she wanted was her parents to accept her the way Vinyl's mother did. Was that too much to ask for? How could her own father call her...that word? Everypony in Equestria knew that word was the worst thing you could ever call somepony who liked ponies of their own gender. She wanted to just disappear forever.





Octavia soon felt a gentle hoof stroking her mane which made her look up into the kind gentle face of Bugle Scout.

"Oh Grandpa. I'm so sorry."

"Shh." He said reassuringly. "You have absolutely nothing to be sorry about. Now come on." He said reaching for a tissue. "Dry your eyes."

"But dad hates me." Octavia sobbed.

"Your father does not hate you. He's just confused, that's all."

"But he called me a...."

"Now you listen to me." Bugle Scout said as he gently wiped his granddaughter's eyes dry. "Your father reacted the same way to another stallion I knew who was gay." Bugle Scout said easing Octavia back onto the couch. "Oh he would have absolutely nothing to do with him, but now they are the best of friends."

Octavia looked down at her hooves. "But I'm his daughter!. Not just some random stallion."

Bugle Scout chuckled a little. " Octavia, that 'random stallion'." He said making quotation marks with his hooves. " He's my brother!"

Octavia looked at her grandfather in surprise. "Uncle Pan Pipe?"

"Yup."

Octavia sighed and looked down at her hooves again. "Why are so many ponies against me and Vinyl being together?"

"It's because they're scared of 'the new'."

"Huh?"

Bugle Scout leaned back on the couch. "Most ponies live one track lives. So when somepony comes along and shows them something that isn't part of the one track, they get scared and shun the idea, hoping to go back on the track. But soon they get used to the idea and find no problem in it.

Octavia sniffed back a tear and smiled a little.

Her Grandfather continued. "Let me ask you a question. How many ponies don't have a problem with you and Vinyl?"

Octavia blinked in thought. "Well...there's Pinkie Pie and her friends. Mr. and Mrs. Cake, Rosebloom, Aloe and Lotus, Lily, Spike, Zecora, Cheerilee, all of Vinyl's clients...."

"And you say not a lot of ponies agree with you?" Bugle Scout interupted.

"But none of them are Dad." Octavia said, her tears starting to return.

"Now don't you worry about your father. I'll sit him down and have a long talk with him."

"But what am I going to do now?"

Bugle Scout used his hoof to lift Octavia's chin so they looked each other in the eyes. "I'll tell you what your going to do. Once you leave here, your going to go to Vinyl. Your going to tell her you love her, and then, once your ready you'll move in with her and be happy for the rest of your life. You hear me?" He said smiling.

Octavia smiled. "Yes Grandpa."

Comments ( 18 )

It's easy and enyoable. Maybe a little frumpy at the moment but i'm looking forward to more and maybe more innovative chapters.
Hoof of approval for this one. :eeyup:

I like the idea but you could have done so much more with them(I really should note I just read it's predecessor). Expanding on the actions each pony does and creating more of a conflict via the dialogue would not only increase the size of the fic but make us, the readers, more likely to sympathize with Vinyl and Octavia and their different conflicts, especially if it was an inter-turmoil issue.

Don't get me wrong, this is a good story and I like it and want to see what happens in your third part. However I would like to see more character depth than 1k words can bring.

This really hit home for me, being gay. I haven't come out to my parents..just wow. Definitely following. I enjoy it.
Five Spikes to you.
:moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::trollestia:
GOD DAMNIT TROLLESTIA.

Very sweet story. Now, it says it's incomplete, so is a second chapter gonna come before the third part of the trilogy?

So sweet. There are some minor matters, tense problems, punctuation, grammar. But overall, very sweet. My primary thing is the use of Fillyfooler. It's honestly been a long time since I've seen it used as an insult. Usually it's neutral or positive. Alos, "Coltchaser" is a new one. I've always heard Colt Cuddler.

I like how Vinyl's mom was understanding (what happened to her dad?), and Octavia's parents have a problem with it. It would be so boring if both their parents were all "Oh. you're gay! That's okay! Being a homosexual is nothing to be ashamed of, and we still love you!". I never thought I would say this, but, hooray for homophobes, for making a story interesting! (Note: Frizzy does not actually approve of homophobes. He hates them. Even the one he's related to.)

Aww it's a tuching story I'm looking forward to the next chapter.

wow, just wow, good work I'm eagerly awaiting more.
You have a great talent for story writing my friend :pinkiehappy:

755458 I actually thought of Colt Cuddler but I didn't think it had the same insulting "sting" as Coltchaser. Mostly because I figured most parents cuddle their kids in an affectionate (not sexual) way from time to time, so turning it into an insult just didn't work.

756874

Yea, there is that. I never considered that because I never really tried to view it through the lens o offense.

Because their scared of the new -> Because they're scared of the new (they're is a contraction for "they are", their is possessive denoting ownership)

They're/their/there is just a pet peeve, sorry. I ignore other grammar mistakes, but that one always bugs me.

Other than that, good read so far, if short.

[I can see fillyfooler being very derogatory, I know most use it as a neutral term, but don't forget word origins: "Filly". Fillies are underage mares, after all. It is a double-statement of one neutral aspect and one objectionable one tacked on to make it easier to hate the group, a big problem with the early homosexual movement revolved around a very similar stereotype. Same applies to coltchaser.]

Apart from some techical issues such as your instead of you're, it was an interesting read and I loved the grandpa's encouragement. :raritywink:

Your story has potential, but I definitely see parts that need development to reach your full potential. Mainly grammar issue, but a couple points in story structure. The story is a great start, and by no means bad, but needs some tweaking.

First and foremost, you need work in dialogue punctuation. If you're going to end a spoken sentence with 'she said', you can't have a period before it and make 'she said' a separate sentence. This happened with most of your dialogue. A period means the end of the thought, keep that in mind.

Also, there are a couple cases of run-ons where sentences should be broken up by commas (almost any instance of the words 'and' or 'but' to separate thoughts within a sentence.

Last grammar note, I say 'your' used instead of 'you're' on at least one occasion.

Structurally, you have a great concept, a good setting, but I think the reader needs to bond with Octavia more before her reveal. We don't get much insight to her nervousness or history with keeping this secret from her family. Has she kept this hidden a long time? Has she thought about this or is it spur-of-the-moment? Extrapolate on her fear. Does she fear rejection? Embarrassment? Hatred?

You have a lot of skill that shows in this snippet. With a little work, it can be greater than you imagine. :twilightsmile:

MORE:flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage:NOW:flutterrage::flutterrage:

:fluttercry: Daw. So sad, but good.

779546 I'm currently writing the next story but. 1) its a long one. 2) i have a lot going on right now. and 3) i also have another story i'm writing.

785854 well keep at it. i dont mind waiting:pinkiehappy:

1. Good story
2. Pan pipe sounds like a rly gay pony name...had to get that out of my head
3. I like the grandpa, he has wisdom
4. Moving on to 3 :pinkiehappy:

Login or register to comment