• Published 10th Mar 2016
  • 7,888 Views, 99 Comments

Equestrian Princess- Three Thirds - Kind of Brony



The Cutie Mark Crusaders, after succesfully helping Diamond Tiara understand herself and the value of friendship, suddenlly find themselves in a strange void... And is that Princess Celestia?

  • ...
23
 99
 7,888

Ascension... Sort of... The CMC Never Do Things the Conventional Way, It Seems

Diamond Tiara was flabbergasted. So much had happened in so little time from the election to this moment, all for it to end like this.

She had finally found the joy of helping others, had real friends instead of lackeys, had stood up to her mother’s elitist views, and was now following the true purpose of her cutie mark by leading the effort of repairing the playground. It was all so surreal, and it was all made possible by the most unlikely of ponies.

Three fillies she had tormented ceaselessly had offered her comfort and friendship despite all that she had done. As insane as the notion was to the pink filly, The Cutie Mark Crusaders were her friends, and she had just turned to flash them a smile, only to witness them float into the air, bathed in warm light, and then abruptly explode, leaving nothing behind but a scorched patch of earth.

As other ponies turned to see what the reformed Diamond Tiara was gawking at, all she could do was squeak, the largest scream of her short life lodged in her throat. “T-they blew up,” she managed when asked what was wrong before her eyes rolled up into her head and she fainted.

The Cutie Mark Crusaders were gone, and the town began to panic.


“What happened?” Sweetie Belle asked as she rubbed her head.

Apple Bloom looked around in bewilderment at the vast, blueish-white expanse around them. “What’s goin’ on?”

“Oh, come on! We weren’t even doing anything crazy this time!” shouted Scootaloo. “No ancient spell books or nothing!” A glowing ball of light drifted past her face, and she glared at it. “I bet you’re filled with tree sap…”

“That’s enough, Scootaloo!” Apple Bloom chided. “This is serious! How in tarnation did we get here?”

“Where is here?” mumbled Sweetie as she scooted closer to her friends and away from a wisp. If they were filled with sticky sap, she wasn’t going to risk getting it in her mane. Rarity would ground her for a month if they had to go through that again.

“Hello,” a voice echoed in the distance. “Is anypony here…? I swear Luna, if this is some sort of prank, you are going to get it.”

Suddenly, a tall, billowing silhouette appeared in the ether, growing larger as it stepped in the direction of the crusaders.

When the figure finally emerged, it was to the sight of three little fillies hugging each other with wide eyes. “P-princess Celestia?” Apple Bloom stuttered.

The alicorn in question had a napkin tucked into her golden peytral, a spattering of crumbs around her lips, and a bewildered look on her face. “The Crusaders?”

“Hey, you remembered us!” Sweetie Belle chimed as she untangled herself from the others.

“Well, it would be hard not to; the stories I’ve heard from Twilight and her friends tend to be quite… astounding.” The princess looked around, “How you arrived here however, will surely take the cake.”

“We don’t know, Princess, honest!” Apple Bloom exclaimed. “There was this bright light, and then poof, we're here.”

The solar alicorn heard the yellow filly, but her mind was still attempting to catch up to all of it. She had just sat down a few minutes ago for some tea and pastries after calling a short recess of day court, only to have her snack time interrupted by the barely-familiar tug of this place and being whisked away.

She wondered briefly why it was her who had been summoned. Sure, when Cadence appeared here, Celestia had been the only available option, and in the case of Twilight, she’d have it be no other, but there were now four alicorns to perform the task, so why her? Really, Twilight had unofficially taken the Cutie Mark Crusaders under her wing, so she should have been the one to guide them.

“Uh, Princess, you okay?” Scootaloo asked, tapping the alicorn’s leg.

“Hmm? Oh yes,” she responded with a smile. “Being brought here was far more unexpected than last time.” She chuckled. “I suppose it’s a good thing I’m not used to it though; I’d be out of a job if there were too many… Princesses…”

Worry settled over the Crusaders as they watched Celestia’s gaze grow distant and wide, her lips parting slightly. “Um, what’cha talkin’ about, Princess?” questioned Apple Bloom.

Celestia’s eyes snapped to her. “It’s not possible,” she muttered. “There were no signs, surely there would have been signs. Twilight would have noticed or-or.” She looked up again, the sight of magic screens manifesting making her stomach lurch. “Come along girls, we must get to the bottom of this.”

Looking between each other, they shrugged and followed their princess, having to trot to keep up with her much longer gait.

Celestia vaguely heard the fillies bombarding her with more questions before gasping as they too noticed the screens, but she was too engrossed by the moving pictures to listen. Each one displayed the trials and tribulations of her companions, a tale of endless determination unfolding before her eyes. Failure after failure were allotted only moments of dejection before the three friends picked themselves back up and tried again.

For Celestia, it was a sight to see. She had heard stories of the fillies tenacity and wit, their capacity to learn and ability to connect with others, but those hardly did them justice. Through burned manes, ruined coats, ridicule and even the occasional punishment, the Cutie Mark Crusaders endured like none other.

Equally impressive were their ability to help others and make friends when others would turn tail and run. A bully from Manehattan, the giant, supposed-criminal with dreams of the rodeo, and their most recent friend were all ponies that they had no reason to help, but they did it anyway. “You girls are quite special, you know that?” Celestia finally spoke, glancing down to the fillies with a warm smile.

The fillies in question were blushing as they looked away from some of their more embarrassing crusades. “Don’t know what’s so special about messin’ up,” Apple Bloom whispered as she cringed away from the cutie-pox reminder.

Sweetie Belle was astonished. “We really do make a lot of messes don’t we? I can’t believe we almost threw Babs in mud... and ended up there ourselves.”

Scootaloo was attempting to push one of the screens down, ashamed of the image it showed of her idolizing Mare Do Well while Rainbow Dash looked betrayed in the window. The little pegasus mumbled something about being plot heads and gave up, letting the screen drift by.

Seeing their dejected faces, Celestia said, “Yes, you have made mistakes, everypony does, but you girls have never given up, stayed together, and learned from those mistakes.” She pointed at one of the many magical recordings. “Tell me, do you believe this stallion thinks of you as failures?”

Mustering the courage to look, the crusaders saw a smiling Trouble Hooves wowing the crowd as a clown as they themselves watched on with massive grins.

“Or this one?” Their attention was directed to Babs Seed waving goodbye from the train window with her new Cutie Mark Crusader cape draped over her shoulders.

“And what about her?” Lastly, the three saw the events that had transpired just a short while ago as Diamond Tiara finally discovered her mark's meaning due to their help. “I’d say your successes far outweigh your slipups.

“Yes, you girls have come a long way to arrive here,” She continued as she spotted the image of the fillies’ first meeting at Diamond’s cute-cenera. “You’ve accomplished much in a short amount of time; it’s really quite impressive.”

“Still got stuck here though,” Sweetie said with a pout. “And we foalnapped a princess!”

This got a chuckle from Celestia as she held a hoof over her mouth. “Yes, foalnapped, I imagine the guards are having quite the panic attack right now.” Shaking her head of the silly image, she knelt down to be level with the fillies. “Appearing here is not the result of any blunder, Sweetie Belle, it’s an honor; one I will always be happy to witness.”

“Well, what is this place then?” asked Apple Bloom.

Rising up, Celestia put a hoof to her chin. That was a difficult question to answer even for veteran scholars of magic, let alone for children. “That’s… complicated, little one, but I suppose it would be easier to explain the why of this realm rather than the what. You girls are actually only the third, fourth and fifth ponies besides myself to have been brought here.

The alicorn paused a moment before giggling. “A fact Luna will be quite annoyed with. She’s been wanting to see this place since I told her about Cadance’s ascension. Imagine her surprise when she realizes she’s been passed over a third time and for such a monumental occasion as three new alicorns entering the fold.”

“There’s gonna be three new alicorns?” Scootaloo inquired with a tilt of her head.

Celestia didn’t notice however as a slight look of concern passed over her features. “Actually, I imagine this will come as quite the shock to many ponies; introducing a single new princess to Equestria was one thing, but three at once might take some fairly large adjustments to the government. I doubt another province will arise that you three could govern anytime soon.”

Beginning to pace, the solar princess hummed. “You three are very young though, perhaps we could simply wait to give you your titles. It would probably be best to keep your ascensions a secret until you come of age then; allow you normal foalhoods before taking on any major responsibilities. I’m sure with Twilight’s help we can create suitable illusion spells to conceal the fact.”

“I think Princess Celestia’s gone nuts, girls,” Scootaloo whispered from the corner of her mouth, unable to take her eyes off the mumbling alicorn. “We should get out of here before she pulls out an ax.”

“You’ve been burrowing Pip’s Trottingham Horrors comics, haven’t you?”

Before Scootaloo could respond, Apple Bloom cleared her throat. “Uh, Princess, Ah hate ta interrupt your thinkin’ but you’re actin’ mighty strange. You mind runnin’ all that by us again? What was that ‘bout more alicorns and this stuff with princesses?”

Snapping back to reality, Celestia gave a light smile. “Sorry, I get a little scatter-brained when I’m hungry, and this did happen before I finished eating. That’s neither here nor there, however. What’s important is that you three girls are going to be-”

“Wha-? Wow!” screamed Scootaloo along with her friends as all three began to float into the air.

“Not again!” Sweetie yelled as, just like at the playground, a light engulfed the crusaders.

“What’s happenin’, Princess!?” Apple Bloom tried to reach for the non-existent ground, but only succeeded in toppling mid-air.

“D-don’t worry girls! I’ll be in Ponyville as soon as I am able! Until then, I’ll send Twilight a message of what’s happened! She’ll explain everything and take care of you for the time being!” Celestia covered her eyes as the light intensified before vanishing with the Cutie Mark Crusaders in tow. “… Woops… Oh well, they’ll know what’s going on soon enough. It’ll just be a surprise now is all, and foals love surprises."

Another, weaker light soon whisked the sun princess away, leaving the strange realm silent again.


Many of the town's ponies were frantically searching every nook and cranny of their little village for the missing foals, with three mares in particular wanting to join. Rarity and Applejack, along with a fidgeting Rainbow Dash were standing behind Twilight as she scanned the area around the burnt patch of dirt.

“Anything, Twi?” the orange mare asked, resisting the urge to step forward. As soon as Twilight heard of what happened, she ordered everypony to move away from the disappearance site so as not to disrupt any residual magic left behind by whatever stole the crusaders.

With her eyes closed and horn lit, she spoke, “Well, whatever it was that did this, it was definitely some powerful magic, but it’s strange. It feels like a large part of it is actually from the girls themselves as if they somehow combined their magic to cast some sort of a teleportation spell.”

Rainbow Dash breathed a sigh of relief. “So they didn’t get blown up like that Diamond kid said? Thank Celestia.”

“Resonance casting?” Rarity said skeptically. “How could that be possible? It’s supposed to be a very advanced technique, correct? And that’s between multiple unicorns. I’m sure you’re an excellent teacher, Twilight, but I can assure you that Sweetie Belle is not yet capable of weaving anything close to the complexity of a teleportation spell, nor channeling the magic of two non-unicorns.”

“Believe me, I know the crusaders aren’t capable of this level of magic; I’m just stating what it appears to be,” responded the alicorn. “Besides, while the bulk of the magic seems to belong to the girls, there is a fourth signature, so it’s safe to assume it was what cast the spell.” Mumbling to herself, she added, “Why does that fourth one feel so familiar though?”

“Can ya track where the teleportation spell popped’em out at?”

Twilight winced upon hearing the hope in her earth pony friend’s voice. “No, I’m afraid not. I tried to of course, but it’s as if the teleportation spell didn’t have an exit point. They disappeared, but didn’t reappear.”

Frustrated, Rainbow Dash hovered forward. “Okay, can you at least tell who cast the magic or where whoever they are is at? There has to be something you can do!”

“Hey! You’re not the only one getting angry here, Rainbow Dash!” Twilight bit back. “My students, their sisters, our friends just up and vanished into thin air and I can’t do anything about it!”

“Wow nelly, take a breather you two,” Applejack interjected as she stepped in front of the glaring princess. “We’re all worried, but snappin’ at each other won’t solve nothin’.”

“I’m sorry, you’re right,” Twilight said, downcast. “Guess I’m letting the stress get to me.”

“Yeah, I’m sorry too,” Rainbow Dash said before Spike came around a corner yelling for Twilight.

“Did somepony find them?” Rarity asked excitedly as the young dragon skid to a stop in front of them.

“N-no,” Spike panted, “Or maybe? I dunno, look.” Standing straight, the small drake held up a scroll. “Princess Celestia sent a letter!”

It took only a moment for the three sets of eyes to land on the bold, yet elegantly written "CMC" across the exposed surface of the scroll, and a moment more for it to be yanked up in Twilight’s magic and unfurled.

“What’s it say?” one of her friends asked, but the alicorn was too stunned to answer as her eyes scanned over the paper several more times. A second after her fifth reading of the letter, a bright light shined in the sky and quickly descended. As ponies began to congregate towards the light, Twilight’s keen mind put together the pieces of the unbelievable puzzle and realized what would be within the glow before it even faded.

Whipping around, the princess pushed through the growing crowd with a cry of, “Girls!” as her friends followed after. Twilight screeched to a halt however, and was jostled aside by Rarity, Applejack and Rainbow Dash as she set eyes on the newly returned Cutie Mark Crusaders.

“Oh, Apple Bloom, you done gone and almost gave me a heart attack!” Applejack exclaimed as she swooped her dazed little sister up in a bone-crushing hug. “What in tarnation happened to ya?”

“Explanations can wait,” Rarity mumbled into Sweetie’s mane as she held her close. “I’m just glad you’re safe.”

“Jeez, squirt, can’t even stand around without getting into something, huh?” asked Rainbow Dash as she helped steady the little pegasus as she stood. “Hey… you look different…”

Twilight stepped forward, looked at the letter, and then back at the fillies, confusion clear on her face. “I don’t understand, the letter said that you three…” Mouth clamping shut, her eyes swept across the puzzled, but happy crowd surrounding them, and quickly lowered her head. “Girls, major friendship meeting at the castle, now. Bring the fillies. Spike, Gather the others and tell them to meet us at the castle.”

Not one to argue with her when she was in princess-mode, the young drake saluted and scampered off. Standing tall, Twilight Sparkle addressed the crowd. “The Cutie Mark Crusaders have been found. Thank you everypony for your quick response to this sudden emergency, but you can all return to your business and rest easy.”


Twilight had not waited for the crowd to react as she hurried her friends and now stood in the meeting room of her crystal castle as Fluttershy shuffled in. Luckily, the rest of her friends had been leading their own search groups and were easy to find for Spike so Twilight didn’t have to endure the questions of AJ, Rarity, and Dash for longer than a few minutes.

“Okay, Twilight, we're all here, so can you tell us what the hay is going on already? What’s got you so riled up?” demanded Rainbow Dash from her shared seat with a distracted Scootaloo. The filly was too busy staring in bewilderment at her side to notice how close she was to her idol.

With shared sentiments all around, Twilight ceased her pacing. “Honestly, I’m nearly as confused as all of you about what’s going on, so bear with me while I try to figure this out. Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, Scootaloo,” she addressed, getting the fillies’ attention. “Do you mind climbing up on the table? Don’t worry, you won’t break anything, I just need to get a good look at you.”

It was no surprise that the fillies hadn’t spoken more than two words since they reappeared; things had been quite hectic since they did and, unbeknownst to their sisters and sister figures, they were dealing with the strange sensation of subtle off-ness and were trying to figure out why.

“Uh, sure thing, Princess Twilight,” Apple Bloom managed to say as she sat up next to her sister and reached towards the table’s edge. Her eyes were wide as she did so successfully and managed to step up with in ease. The slight oddity of this seemingly mundane action was also noted by the other ponies in the room.

“When’d you have a growth spurt without me noticin’, Bloom?” AJ asked.

“Did I miss your birthday or something?” Pinkie pondered to herself, pulling a calendar from her mane and flipping through the pages.

“Ow!”

“Sorry.”

All eyes turned to Rarity and Sweetie Belle as the former rubbed underneath her jaw. “It’s quite alright dear, just be more careful. You know unicorns have to keep track of their horns or else this sort of thing happens.”

“I really am sorry,” apologized the little unicorn as she reached up to tap her horn. “I think something's different with my horn though…”

“Look! I’m-I’m doing it!” Scootaloo cheered as she clumsily hovered up over the table. “I’m flying!”

“Holy… Scoots! What’s with your wings!?” Dash shouted with wide eyes. “They’re huge!”

“Yeah! I know!” the filly cheered before the tip of one of her wings beat against the table’s surface and sent her toppling. Even fallen, she couldn’t help but lift her head and grin. “Let’s see anyone call me a chicken now with these babies!”

As Sweetie Belle jumped up onto the table and joined Apple Bloom in helping their friend to her hooves, the Council of Friendship looked on them with new scrutiny.

“Ah, Twi, I really think you should start explainin’ things or else I’m liable ta take ma sister to the hospital,” the orange mare said without moving her gaze.

“Well,” Twilight began slowly, “according to this letter, when the girls disappeared, they ended up in the same place I did the day I finished Star Swirl's final spell.” That statement alone was enough to get a few small gasps and an exaggerated one from a certain pink pony.

“You mean the magic blue place where Princess Celestia sang to you and the wings happened!?”

“Um, but the crusaders aren’t alicorns,” whispered Fluttershy.

Rainbow Dash actually burst into laughter. “Okay, either you’re pulling our leg or Celestia’s pulling yours. There’s no way the girls would end up there. Especially not before me.”

“Are you talking about the place with the magic screens?” Sweetie Belle chimed. “That place was creepier than the inside of Featherweight’s locker." She shivered. "So many pictures of me in there...”

Pinkie inhaled loudly again. “She knows about the magic stalker televisions! They really are alicorn princesses!”

“Wait, what!?” While the shout had come from all three, Sweetie Belle’s reaction was the most extreme as she fired a bolt of magic up into the ceiling, sending both small debris down unto the floor and herself on her plot.

“Calm down, everypony!” Twilight yelled as many ducked for cover. “Everything is all right.”

“Wow, Sweetie, that was awesome! You never did anything like that during Twilight Time, not even when she was teaching you magic dueling!” Scootaloo’s enthusiasm was not shared by her unicorn friend as she started to hyperventilate.

“What’s going on? Why’s my horn bigger? Why’re Scootaloo’s wings bigger? Why is Apple Bloom’s everything bigger? A-and what is my magic doing!?” As she said this, her horn brightened with magic and her eyes began to glow.

“Magic surge!” Twilight screamed before diving under the table just in time to dodge a green-white ray. She remembered what happened to her parents, and she had no intention of finding out what life as a houseplant was like. The other mares quickly followed suit as Bloom and Scoots ducked and covered their heads.

“S-sweetie Belle, what are ya doin’!”

“I c-can’t stop it!”

“Yes you can! Think of all that practice you had with Twilight!”

“This is different!” As she said this, Sweetie’s hooves slowly began to leave the ground, just their tips brushing the crystal surface of the table.

Seeing this, Apple Bloom’s eyes narrowed in determination before she lunged up and wrapped her forelegs around Sweetie’s withers. “Calm down, Sweetie, there ain’t nothin’ to be afraid of!”

Joining her, Scootaloo gave her own reassurance. “Yeah, whatever’s going on, we can handle it together, and Rainbow’s friends will help too.”

The surging unicorn looked from one crusader to the other, eyes losing their luminescence. The magic vanished from her horn and the filly fell to her hooves. “Th-thanks, girls,” Sweetie said, panting and with tears beading in her eyes. “I panicked. It’s just, we’re all different now, and Pinkie said we’re princesses. I mean, I used to think it would be cool, but I’ve seen how everpony treats Twilight different now, and all the hard stuff she has to do. I don’t think I can deal with being a princess.”

“Yes, I thought as much myself.”

Coming out from underneath the table, Twilight and her friends all shared the same response. “Princess Celestia!”

“Yes, I’m sorry it took so long to arrive,” the regal mare said as she stepped into the room. “Unlike with Twilight’s ascension, I was caught quite off guard by this one and could not fly here until after I woke Luna and had her take over day court.” She chuckled. “She was a bit grumpy about that.”

“You’re not late, Princess, we haven’t made much progress here yet anyway, and as you can see, things aren’t as you expected,” Twilight began with a small, puzzled frown. “Maybe you can help us understand what exactly is going on.”

“Yeah, like settling all this princess talk and stuff about alicorns,” Rainbow butt in. “Seriously, things are getting kinda crazy here, and that’s saying something with all the crazy stuff we deal with, like, every week.”

There were nods and mumbled agreements all around as Princess Celestia observed the huddled group of three clearly non-alicorn fillies. “It does seem things have gone a much stranger route than I had expected. How do you feel girls?”

Realizing it was them that were being addressed, Apple Bloom stepped forward. “Well, ‘bout as confused as everypony else I suppose… So that weird place was suppose ta turn us into alicorns, huh? I don’t think it worked right.”

Celestia chuckled in response to Apple Bloom's own, nervous one. “I suppose not, though it did seem to make you taller.” Looking over each one, she added, “And your wings seemed to have come in quite spectacularly, young Scootaloo.”

Locking eyes with the still shaken unicorn, she spoke more softly. “As for you, Sweetie Belle, your magic seems to have grown even more than your horn. You’ll have need of more specialized training to control it, but we’ll decide how to approach that later. For now, we’ll address the newest alicorn in the room.”

“But, there aren’t any new alicorns,” Rainbow commented.

“Isn’t there? Tell me, Twilight, have you come to the same conclusion as I have?”

“I didn’t want to make any claims without scientific evidence, and I still believe I should perform some experiments, but… yes, I think I know what you’re suggesting,” Twilight said. “The Cutie Mark Crusaders have become one alicorn… together.”

There was a pregnant pause as all but the two princesses were shocked into silence, the crusaders gaping the most. “You… wanna run that by me again, sugar cube? It sounds like you’re sayin’ ma sister is part alicorn now or somethin’,” Applejack finally said.

“How can that even be possible?” Rarity asked. “How can one be an alicorn without wings and a horn.”

“Well, just look at them,” Twilight said as she gestured to the fillies. “What else can it be? If our speculation is correct, then each one of them has gained alicorn-level magic in each of their specific tribes.”

“So, like, Scootaloo has the wings of an alicorn…” Rainbow said, a smile starting to spread across her muzzle. How many pegasi can say they’ve trained two alicorns to fly? And Scootaloo was no doubt going to be a much better student than Twilight since she wouldn’t have to keep tearing books on aerodynamics out of her hooves.

“This is totally awesome!” burst Scootaloo, flaring her wings in her excitement and pomfing her friends in their faces. “We’re like the ponies from the Wonder Triplet comics!” Grabbing Sweetie and Bloom around their necks and hugging them close, shouted, “Cutie Mark Crusader powers activate! Form of a badflank alicorn…!” Peeking around, the smile began to fall as the pegasus slumped.

“…Ahh, it didn’t work,” Pinkie Pie whined, looking as disappointed as Scootaloo. “Maybe you three have to say a magic word like Shazam or something. Quick, start saying funny sounding things! Oh, try kumquat!”

“Pinkie, I highly doubt that the powers at be would grant the crusaders the ability to fuse… though perhaps with the right magic. I recall reading about an ancient fusion spell that required a dancing component.”

“Twilight, while I’m sure that will be a very interesting avenue of research, perhaps we should focus on the situation at hoof first,” suggested Princess Celestia with laughter in her eyes.

Broken from her musings, the younger alicorn blushed. “O-of course, sorry.” Seeking a distraction, Twilight levitated the letter and said, “You wrote that you would like my stance on whether or not we should make the crusaders royalty, so we should probably discuss that, yes?”

“Well of course they should be princesses,” Rainbow said as if it were obvious. “All alicorns are princesses, and they are, like, technically an alicorn. Plus imagine how cool it would be if they were.”

“I agree with Rainbob Smash on this,” Discord gave his input while lying on the ceiling. “The Cutie Mark Crusaders are the most chaotic group of ponies I know. Just imagine what they could do with royal authority?” He sniffled. “The mere thought brings a tear to my eye.”

“D-discord? I thought you were helping the curators at the Manehattan Museum of History? Not that it’s not nice to see you so soon or anything,” Fluttershy questioned, her soft voice somehow meeting the chaos spirit’s ear over all the noise of her friends.

“Oh, I already finished there,” He answered, polishing his talons on the brown hair of his chest. “It took no time at all to create a properly accurate exhibit to represent my reign from all those years ago.”

Celestia sighed. “You just twisted the inside of the museum into a chaotic mess, didn’t you?”

“Nooo, while that would have been much funner, I am a friend now, so I instead made a very organized chaotic mess. Weren’t you listening? I had to make it accurate to the period,” Discord explained as if the ancient alicorn were a foal. “Luckily I have a very good memory so the challenge was only with my morals, not the construction.”

Rubbing her eyes, Celestia mumbled something about owing her sister five bits before saying louder, “Thank you, Discord, for your input, but I believe causing chaos will have to be a mark against making them princesses.” She addressed the rest of the room. “We have Rainbow Dash and Discord’s opinions, what say the rest of you?”

“Well, I for one think Sweetie and her friends would make fine princesses,” Rarity said. “They’ve matured greatly on their own since they first met and I believe with the proper guidance they could not only navigate the world of politics, but also bring a level of sincerity to the world of nobles… No offense.” The last bit was directed towards the two already-crowned ponies.

“None taken, Lady Rarity. I understood what you meant,” Celestia said with a tired shake of her head. “I am afraid that even with my sister and Twilight by my side, we are still outnumbered in court by those who wish to use their political power for selfish gain.”

“Really, if they’re such a problem, I don’t see why you don’t get rid of them,” commented a bored Discord.

“Because such a large change in the social and political order would cause untold bedlam,” was her answer as she ignored Discord’s comment about that sounding like a plus. “During the beginning of my thousand years as the sole princess of Equestria, the nobles were invaluable in helping maintain order, but I as I became more proficient in my rule, their necessity dwindled. Now that my sister has returned and I have you, Twilight, they do little more than cause trouble, and I’m afraid they have too much holdings to simply dismiss.”

Exhaling deeply, the white alicorn spoke, “That is neither here nor there, however. I take it you suggest that similar actions be taken as were done for Cadance, Rarity? To bring the crusaders to Canterlot so that they can begin being versed in the art of politics?”

While Rarity nodded her head, Applejack leaned forward. “Whoa, Nelly! Bloom’s way too young ta be movin’ away from home and ‘specially too young ta get mixed up in all that complicated stuff.”

“I agree with Applejack,” Twilight supported. “Though it was under my own volition, I still regret spending so much of my foalhood trying to meet the standards I set for myself as your student instead of spending more time with my family and making friends. I don’t want the girls to have similar regrets.

“While I do believe they’ll make fine princesses, I think it would be better if they remained here with the ponies who love them.” The purple alicorn suddenly became sheepish. “Plus, and I’m not complaining about being a princess, but I’d rather not have them thrown into the position out of the blue like with me. Surely they can be taught in secret from here until they’re a bit older and knowledgeable, right?”

All the adults looked around as if communicating silently. “Um, I think Twilight’s idea sounds nice,” mumbled Fluttershy.

“Hmm, I guess I could hold off on their coronation party for a little while and just have a small, 'Congratulations On Kinda Being an Alicorn Now,' celebration instead,” Pinkie mused.

“Yeah, fine, I guess waiting is for the best,” Rainbow Dash grumbled. “I was gonna have her try out for the Wonderbolts as soon as I trained her up since being a princess would have let us brush the whole age thing outta the way, but we’ll just have to wait ‘til she’s eighteen instead.” Smirking, she added, “Just means she’ll really blow their minds when the time comes.”

The mares having come to a consensus, Celestia spoke, “I agree to that plan of action, so that means there is one more opinion to be had, or three to be exact. While this will be how we handle your princesshood, we still need to know if you even want to be royalty.”

“Um, I don’t know,” began Sweetie Belle, rubbing one foreleg across the other as she stared at the table. “I still think it sounds really scary, but if Rarity thinks it’s a good idea, than I’ll try.”

“Ah reckon I could try too as long as I have ma friends with me,” Apple Bloom said. “We’re the Cutie Mark Crusaders after all, and we stick together through thick and thin.”

“Wait, I could be a Wonderbolt?” Scootaloo perked up when her idols words fully sunk in. “Then of course! Forget about waiting and learning; let’s go get us some crowns- ow!” Glaring at Bloom and rubbing the side the bigger filly elbowed, she said, “Okay, fine, yeah, we’ll become princesses later.”

“It’s settled then,” the solar alicorn declared. “The Cutie Mark Crusaders will remain here in Ponyville to continue enjoying their friendships and learn until they come of age and become Equestrian princesses.”

Cheers broke out amongst the mares as the fillies hugged each other. Life would change drastically for all of them, and it would no doubt be amazing.


“Grrr, these things are so itchy,” Scootaloo whined, disgruntled as she ruffled her seemingly tiny wings.

“Told’ja you should have preened ‘em before school started,” commented Apple Bloom, swallowing a bite of her fruit. “Ya know you can’t take the charm off when other ponies can see.”

“Not helping, Bloom,” Scootaloo said with a glare. “I’m not used to these new wings yet. How was I supposed to know how much more of a pain a few crooked feathers would be?”

“Because Rainbow Dash and Twilight told you grown-up feathers were pricklier than down and that you’d have to take better care of them now,” Sweetie Belle stated matter-of-factly.

“Argh, you two are the worst,” the pegasus groused as she rolled onto her back and kicked her legs in the air. “You’re supposed to be on my side, why aren’t you helping fix this?”

“Because we have ta be more responsible now on account of you-know-what and you’ll never learn if we baby ya. And don’t even think about it.” Apple Bloom nudged Scootaloo’s hoof away from the necklace around her neck.

“I wasn’t going to take it off.”

“Sure you weren’t,” Sweetie said as she finished her lunch and dabbed at her lips with a napkin. Rarity had started drilling her sister on proper etiquette for a lady and Sweetie was being sure to listen well. She was going to be princess one day and Rarity assured her that these skills would be of the utmost importance. “We’ll help you preen after school at the club house. Lunch is going to be done soon and we have to get back to class.”

Scootaloo groaned and rolled to her belly. “This is so unfair. Why don’t you girls have to wear stupid necklaces to hide your princess stuff?”

Apple Bloom simply rolled her eyes and nudged the pegasus to her hooves. They all knew the answer already, but Scootaloo wouldn’t drop it. Apple Bloom’s size was explained away as a growth spurt and Sweetie’s horn just observer’s imagination. Scootaloo’s wings however, had been stunted, so the sudden transition from tiny to nearly adult-sized wasn’t so easily rationalized.

In the end, a necklace was enchanted to make her wings look as they were before the ascension and she was told no flying in public. To the energetic pegasus who had dreamed of flight her entire life, this was just plain cruel, and no matter how many times Rarity assured her the jewelry brought out the color of her eyes, Scootaloo was not going to be appeased. The fact that the tomboy was wearing something so frou frou had gotten more head-turns than alicorn wings would have, anyway.

A bell ringing signaled the end of lunch and a forced march back to the school house. Hearing her friend sigh in defeat, Sweetie Belle offered a sympathetic smile. “Hey, it’s only a few more hours, and if you really can’t make it, ask for a bathroom break. Maybe you can fix your feathers in a stall where nopony can see.”

“Ah don’t know, Diamond Tiara has been keepin’ an eye on us all week tryin’ ta figure out what’s up. I wouldn’t put it past her to follow ya right to the toilet,” Apple Bloom theorized. As much as they wanted to tell their newest friend, along with all their other ones, it was decided that children couldn’t be trusted to not tell their parents, and for those parents not to tell the papers, and so the need-to-know list was aggravatingly short. Really, the only additions from those who weren't in Twilight’s map room were the other princesses, Big Macintosh, Granny Smith, and the parents of Sweetie and Scoots.

It was a shame, all three fillies agreed, that Miss Cheerilee couldn’t be informed. There was a math test today and they very much would have liked to get out of it with a few royal promises for the future. Surely access to the royal treasury would be fair exchange for a few A’s, right?


“Phew, that’s one determined pony,” Bloom commented, wiping sweat from her brow as she watched Diamond Tiara leave Sugarcube Corner in a huff from Pinkie Pie’s window. The pink filly had caught up with them halfway to Sweet Apple Acres and started pestering them about hanging at the clubhouse with them.

When they explained that they were doing official CMC business, the filly immediately suggested she be allowed to join in, claiming that her already having a cutie mark meant she could give pointers on how to help them find theirs. While Sweetie and Apple Bloom were willing to accept this, Scootaloo had been more suspicious and pointed out that Diamond Tiara hadn’t even known the true meaning of her mark until recently and thus was no expert.

Cover blown, her true intentions of discovering their secret became clear and the rich filly once again began bombarding them with questions. What followed was a chase that spanned all three crusader’s homes, Twilight’s castle, and a dumpster before Pinkie popped out from beneath a discarded newspaper and helped them give their pursuer the slip.

Filthy Rich must have gotten his daughter a personal trainer or something, because a spoiled foal should not have had that level of endurance or speed. Diamond Tiara seemed untiring when she had a goal to strive for.

“She’s just lucky I can’t use my scooter in public anymore,” Scootaloo said. “We’d have left her in the dust even before my wing-game got powered up.”

“I don’t know, maybe we got her cutie mark wrong and she’s supposed to be a marathon runner,” Sweetie commented.

At that moment, all three fillies looked to their flanks with dull hope before sighing in simultaneous disappointment. “Well, it was a stretch, anyway,” Apple Bloom said.

Pinkie chose that moment to enter with a tray on her head. “Okay girls, Nosey Tiara is gone, and I got you all refreshments!” she declared in her usual, chipper tone, tossing the tray and letting it land on the carpet, contents impossibly unspilled. “I hope you like your lemonade sweet.”

“Thanks, I’m parched,” Sweetie said as she stepped forward first, lighting her horn to pour herself a cup. That was her intent anyway as she instead caused the lemonade to vaporize in less than a second.

While the fillies all leaped back, Pinkie was caught smiling as the cloud of sugary lemon juice engulfed her whole head. “…Ouchies,” she breathed before waving the cloud away to reveal a damp, sticky mane and bloodshot, watering eyes. “Okay, I’m gonna go use the emergency eye wash station in the kitchen, and then I’ll bring you girls something new to drink that’s less acidic. Gummy, will keep an eye on you while I’m gone.” Her calm speech over, the party mare screamed and ran out of the room, causing Sweetie Belle to wince and mutter an apology.

Scootaloo giggled. “Guess you’re going to have to ask Twilight for more lessons on control.”

“It’s not funny, Scoots,” Apple Bloom chastised.

“Yeah, I thought I was doing really good, too,” Sweetie grumbled, looking at the floor petulantly.

“And ya are,” the earth pony assured with a pat on her friend’s back. “You haven’t been surging hardly t’all lately, and that one wasn’t even that bad.”

Sobering at the sight of friend's sadness, Scootaloo agreed, “Hey, I was just joking, I’m sorry, Sweetie. Apple Bloom's right, you really are getting better. I bet next time you blow up a gallon of lemonade, it’ll be on purpose.”

The poor attempt of her orange friend succeeded in making Sweetie laugh. “Thanks, Scootaloo, I’ll make sure to practice lemonade vaporizing from now on.”

“And then I can make the clouds rain on ponies,” Scootaloo cheered. “Oh gosh, that’s gonna be, like, the ultimate prank. Rainbow Dash will be so proud.”

“Or angry along with the other pegasuses because ya went and started that myth up again,” Apple Bloom said dryly, causing all three fillies to burst into laughter. "Okay, okay, let’s get serious now,” the yellow filly said once the laughter died down. “We still got official crusadin’ ta do, and cutie marks wait for no mare.”

Nodding their heads in agreement, Sweetie and Scoots dawned serious expressions and entered a circle with Bloom, ready to find their marks…


“We could try hot air ballooning,” Sweetie suggested, perking up.

“Already did, and Cherry Berry keeps her balloon under lock and key, now,” Scootaloo immediately answered, poking Gummy in the eye in a bored fashion and watching his slow blink. Pinkie had brought them chocolate milk fifteen minutes ago and then went back to work downstairs, telling the fillies they could stay until sunset. In that time, the crusaders had preened Scootaloo's wings, and nothing else “Besides, Diamond Tiara is still out there looking for us probably. Any luck finding something in Pinkie’s closet, Bloom?”

“Um, a hundred an’ twenty-one kazoos,” she answered, pulling out the box labeled as such. “Wanna try getting’ our marks for kazoo playin’?”

“Lame,” groaned the pegasus. “Even if she’s nice and our friend now, I don’t think Diamond Tiara could resist making fun of us if we had that for cutie marks.”

“How can we be sort-of alicorn princesses and still be having this much trouble?” Sweetie Belle whined as she flopped onto her belly. "Princesses are suppose to be, like, wise and always know what to do, aren't they?"

“Hey now girls, don’t get all disheartened,” Apple Bloom said as she pushed the box aside. “Remember what we were talkin’ about right before all this alicorn business? Helpin’ others and being together is what’s really important. Why, figurin’ that out’s how we got to be princesses in the first place!”

Scootaloo smiled and jumped to her hooves. “Yeah, you’re right, we’re the Cutie Mark Crusaders, Princesses of Friendship!”

“As soon as Twilight agrees to only being the Princess of Magic, that is,” Sweetie added with her own smile. “She’s being really stingy with that. She should take lessons from my sister.”

“We’ll take her to court if she don’t change her tune by the time we’re grownups,” commented the earth pony as she moved close to her friends and raised her foreleg with the others. “Until then, like ya said, we’re the Cutie Mark Crusaders, and we’ll always be together!”

Declaration made, the fillies high hooved and cheered, unaware of the small sparkles that ignited upon their blank flanks for just a moment, outlining the shared element their marks would one day have when each little princess discovered their own unique talent.

After all, just because they are bound by fate to always be better together, it doesn’t mean that’s all they are. They are individuals each with their own calling, and like all good friends, their difference brings them together just as much as their similarities. Such is the way of harmony, and such is the way of Equestria's newest princess.

Author's Note:

Because we all thought about it and it needed to be written. I didn't have any outline for this story and just kind of ran with the idea. It was also written quickly, stream of consciousness channeled through fingers, while waiting on my editors to finish up on the next chapter of my dragon story, so it's perhaps not the most organized work I've done, but it was fun to write and I hope it's fun to read. I also really hope someone gets inspired and decides to do their own, awesome version of this idea, because I would love to read it.
Oh, and corrections/suggestions are always welcome.

P.S.
If ya'll like it enough, I might do a bonus chapter going into the future.