• Published 16th Feb 2016
  • 6,746 Views, 235 Comments

The Worst - SquiggelSquirrel



Adagio is shocked to walk in on her sisters… fighting? Or not. It *sounded* like fighting.

  • ...
25
 235
 6,746

Blaze

…As Aria stepped into the hall, she was just in time to notice Fluttershy headed up the stairs. Aria ignored this, and continued towards the kitchen. Sunset Shimmer, following close behind Aria, didn't notice Fluttershy, so followed Aria to the kitchen instead.


When Aria reached the kitchen, she was greeted by the sight of Pinkie Pie constructing a second meal for herself, from the leftovers of the girls' protracted breakfast feast. Applejack was working on the washing-up, while Rarity, not content with simply putting the groceries away, had apparently set herself the task of reorganizing Fluttershy's entire kitchen.

Making a beeline for the fridge, Aria shoved Rarity aside, and began digging through the assorted bottles in the top shelf.

“Well excuse me, I'm sure,” Rarity muttered, just loud enough for everyone to hear.

“Buzz off,” responded Aria, without looking up.

“I do beg your pardon,” said Rarity, in a tone suggesting anything but.

“I said: ” Aria turned to face Rarity, “Buzz. Off.”

“Oh really now, there is no call to be rude.”

Aria straightened, having lifted a bottle of soda from the fridge, and rounded on Rarity, not even glancing around at Sunset and Applejack as they closed in on her. “You wanna start something?”

“Not at all, but —”

“You think I don't know what you girls are up to, with your little schemes and mind-games? Well I'm not falling for it, and it pisses me off, seeing you all act so concerned, like none of this is your fault.”

Our fault? I don't mean to be rude, but I hardly see how this has anything to do with us.”

“Nothing to do with you, huh? So you aren't trying to make Adagio into one of your 'friends'?”

“Uh…”

“… and I guess you think this is just about me 'n Sonata.”

“Well…”

“It wasn't enough for you, was it? Smashing our pendants? You're not gonna be happy until you've dragged us all into your little cult. Well forget it — you may have gotten your claws into Adagio, but you won't get me and Sonata so easily.”

“Aria,” interjected Sunset, drawing the girl's attention away from the cornered Rarity, “I think you've got the wrong idea. Adagio came to us for help, because she was upset.”

“Yeah, ” piped up Pinkie Pie, “and friendship isn't some freaky brainwashing cult, it's about people who like each other and trust each other spending time together and having fun, because they enjoy each other's company.”

“Oh sure, play innocent, like you don't…” Aria paused, mid sentence, her gaze sweeping across Sunset and Pinkie, “… you don't get it, do you?

“Do you have any idea how long we've been stuck in this dump? How long we — how long Adagio's been looking for a way to get our powers back, to get us back to Equestria? She's been obsessed. I don't have the patience, Sonata never had the brains, but Adagio? She made us believe. For centuries, she never shut up about it. Week after week, she had us trying every crackpot mumbo-jumbo, searching after every fairy story, trying anything just for a chance.

“Can you imagine what it felt like, seeing your big rainbow-light-show? Me and Sonata always believed we'd find a way back, one day, but when the time really came, we weren't ready, we weren't expecting it.

“But Adagio? She knew it right away. For her, it wasn't 'one day', it was always 'any day now', you know? It been, what, eighteen centuries, I guess? And she still jumped on it, right away.”

Sunset frowned. “I… didn't realise it meant so much to her.”

Aria slouched over to the table, and dropped herself into a chair.

“She hasn't mentioned any of it since then. Magic, Equestria, nothing. Six months, she's just…” Aria glared across the girls, “… you gave her hope. We really thought we'd made it, that we'd get our power back, that…

“And then you went and snatched it all away. And now Adagio's finally given up, so, congratulations —” Aria took a swig of her soda, “you broke her, and now you're gonna humiliate her with your silly make-overs and fru-fru friendship clubs.

“Heh. I don't even know if she really cares about this — 'thing' — with me and Sonata.­ Maybe she just needed something to freak out over.”

The long pause that followed, was interrupted by a buzzing sound coming from Sunset's bag.

“Oh, um, excuse me, I have to take this…” Sunset hurried out of the room, bag in hand. Once she was gone, Rarity gave a small cough, and approached Aria.

“I, uh, realise this is none of our business, but if you don't mind me asking, how serious is this 'thing' with Sonata, as you put it?”

“I guess you must be pretty disgusted by the idea, huh?”

“Well… no, actually. I'll admit,” Rarity held up a hand, “I was quite… shocked, when I first heard. Having thought on it more, though, I can't really say that you're harming anyone, and I don't feel like it's our place to judge you.”

“How very generous of you,” Aria intoned.

“More to the point,” Rarity continued, “I feel that it would be a shame if the three of you fell out over this, so perhaps there is something we can do, to help you 'patch things up', with Adagio?”

Aria blinked in surprise, then narrowed her eyes at Rarity. “Uh-huh. And why would you be so helpful?”

“Darling,” smiled Rarity, reaching a hand across the table to Aria's own, causing Aria to recoil, “it's what we do. Helping others — it's simply what we enjoy.”

Aria looked Rarity up and down, apparently unnerved by this concept.

“Ah guess I should warn ya, ” piped up Applejack, “it's kind of a 'friendship' thing. We ain't gonna ask for anything back from y'all, but if y'like havin' us help ya, maybe ya'll feel more like makin' friends with somebody, on account of friends tend to help each other out.”

“So it's… like a 'friendship' free sample?”

“Yep,” said Pinkie, “and if you think a patch-things-up-between-sisters party would help, we could make it a party free sample, too!”

“Although,” interrupted Rarity, “I rather suspect that on this particular occasion, a quiet conversation might be more… constructive. And we could probably be more helpful if we understood your feelings. I don't wish to presume, but I get the feeling you really do care, quite deeply, about Sonata?”

Aria's gaze drifted over the table, her expression thoughtful as she gently swung the bottle of soda around in small circles. Her expression slowly softened, and a small smile crept in to the corners of her mouth.

“She's… yeah.” Aria chuckled. “She's a total moron, but just so cheerful all the time, like nothing ever really drags her down. The way she smiles,” Aria closed her eyes, “the way she thinks, she's just so different, like she could never get boring, because she's always coming up with something new. She sees so much beauty, everywhere, and just being around her makes me feel so… awake, like nothing else ever has.”

Aria opened her eyes again, and gazed up at the ceiling. “I know it's stupid, but yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm in love with her. I don't wanna imagine what living would be like, without her. I get all these… feelings, whenever she's happy, or sad, or angry, or… anything, really. I'm pretty sure she could break me, if she really wanted to, and the weirdest part is, I think I'd be okay with that.”

Aria took another sip of her soda, oblivious to the way the girls were hanging on her words, or Rarity's knowing smile. Aria's concept of romance seemed somewhat… emo, but Rarity didn't doubt the sincerity behind her words.

Aria sighed, and continued her monologue.

“She's just too damn cute, y'know? Like, she does this thing were she has the most adorable puppy-dog eyes, or that silly little giggle, it just… breaks me down inside, like I can't even help myself. I just wanna wrench her arm 'round, make her scream. It's like music. Or stick a bunch of needles in her butt, get some tears going. She's just so freakin' hot when she's crying.”

Aria was still gazing off into the ceiling, and so didn't notice the suddenly very fixed smiles on the three girls gathered around her, or their sideways glances towards each other.

“She knows just how to get me worked up, too.” Aria's grin was devilish. “Keeps saying just the right thing to piss me off. And then there's the way she squeals when I shove my fingers right up her—”

“WEGETTHEPICTURE!” blurted Rarity, perhaps a tad too loud.

Regardless, this seemed to break Aria out of a form of reverie. She straightened, and turned to face Rarity, completely unabashed.

“Guess you're still a little squeamish, huh?” Aria grinned.

“R-regardless,” stammered Rarity, her face rapidly reddening, “I gather you also care about Adagio, just in a different way.”

“I guess.” Aria shrugged. “Anyway, Sonata's not gonna be happy 'till we're all 'sisters' again, which won't be easy. I don't think I've ever heard Adagio really apologise for anything, and she doesn't often go back on her word, either.”

Applejack spoke up next. “Well, Fluttershy's gone to check on Adagio, I don't reckon she wants to see you girls fighting, either. Maybe we should go talk to Sonata, an' wait to see what happens.”

Aria shrugged, and rose from her chair, headed for the door. Rarity and Applejack both rose to follow her, but Pinkie remained seated, looking thoughtful. Just before the trio reached the door, Pinkie Pie spoke.

“Applejack?”

Applejack turned, to see Pinkie Pie gesturing for her to come over. Aria continued out into the hallway, with Rarity close behind. Applejack headed back towards Pinkie Pie, but the pink-haired girl rose and slipped past Applejack, closing the door so that the two of them were alone in the kitchen.

Pinkie Pie's face had a most uncharacteristically worried expression.

“Um, are we sure about this?”