• Published 2nd May 2016
  • 3,441 Views, 92 Comments

I Serve... - LE_MALEM



Death wasn't a fitting fate for this noble warrior. He deserves peace better than that. He saved not only his people, but other races as well. Interfering with his fate is the job of a weaver, but who am I talking about? Of course it's Zeratul.

  • ...
8
 92
 3,441

I Ask. I Answer. Part 1

Author's Note:

NOTE: This chapter will get a part 2 and maybe a part 3. BUT, they will be separated by a few chapters in order to advance the story.
Well this is it guys; the unavoidable exposition chapter. The long delay was necessary for me to think what I am about to write and what I am not about the Protoss. Please enjoy. Also, please do not try to convince me to change anything because I will not for the sake of the development and continuation of this fanfiction, unless you find something wrong, I will amend it.

Chapter 3: I Ask. I Answer. Part 1

All who were present in Twilight's castle right now can say that the situation was pretty awkward. Rarity was laying on the couch, still unconscious from Fluttershy's tale. Rainbow Dash did not dare to take a step closer towards the newest appearance so she went with Fluttershy to counter Pinkie Pie, who was still in a corner, crying, smoke coming out of her mouth while saying synonyms of "It's impossible" monotonously. That only left with Twilight Sparkle and Applejack to welcome their guest, Zeratul. From Twilight's point of view, the figure was imposing despite his mannerisms. His title 'Dark Templar' felt a bit uncomfortable for her case. Applejack, who shook his appendage already, offered him to sit down in Rainbow's chair. Zeratul accepted the generous offer and finally sat down across the farmpony. Twilight, seeing that, sat down as well.

"Well... I haven't introduced myself quite yet it seems" she started "I am Twilight Sparkle, Princess of Friendship. I welcome you to Ponyville, Mr Zeratul."

"I have felt an air of royalty from you the moment I laid eyes upon you, your majesty Twilight Sparkle, but please spare the formalities and call me Zeratul." he simply retorted.

"Hehe, I'm not that royal yet to be completely honest" admitted Twilight "The title of Princess was given to me only recently. And please do the same for me and call me Twilight."

"By your will" he bowed his head "I can sense an air of curiosity about you, friend Twilight. I am free to answer any questions you have to satiate it." At that, Twilight's eyes lit like a baby as she summoned an inkwell, a quill and a piece of parchment out of nowhere.

"I'll have to ask her about that energy later since I offered to share my information first." he thought.

"Let me warn ya there, sugarcube, Twi' is really really picky about her questions." said Applejack. Zeratul let that process for a moment.

"Sugarcube?"

Spear of Adun, at the same time

"Skippy?" thought Artanis out loud.

Back to the Castle

"Okay first question: You said that you feed on the planetary energies, is that correct?"

"Indeed it is. We Protoss feed mostly on sun ray light by day and moonlight by night. Thus we can stay for days without nutriments in space."

"You have traveled to space?" she asked, obviously excited.

"We Protoss do have more than capable technologies to do so, friend Twilight." At least Zeratul understood something from that question: These species are primitive by comparison.

"Ahem, alright. Wait, if you have no mouth and you're talking, how are you doing that?"

"We use telepathy to not only project our voices, but also understand the language you speak. Our language by the way is called the Khalani." he answered.

"So, you cast a magic spell on yourself to speak?" If Zeratul had brows, he would've risen them but he simply closed his eyes and thought.

"Magic? I'm afraid that the concept is unknown to me. What I am using is a variant of psi-energy called the Void." Twilight beamed with excitement. A species that is not only highly advanced, but also possesses another source of energy to do their bidding.

"Amazing, all of this is amazing!" she exclaimed, scribbling down non-stop "Is it possible-"

"No, it is not!" Zeratul interrupted angrily, Applejack glared at him "It is out of the question to teach psionic power usage to creatures unless they possess it. It is very rare to find such powers even within our race. Trying to forcefully awaken or transfer psionic powers from one creature to another could mean the death of both since it disturbs the flow of energy and nature itself." Twilight was taken aback while Applejack stopped glaring and nodded.

"He tells the truth, Twilight" she affirmed "He has his reasons for his... outburst."

"I am sorry, friend Applejack. It simply reminded me of a friend of mine who died sacrificing himself because of my teachings of the Void. I do not wish for the same experience to be repeated." he admitted. Applejack put her stetson over her eyes while Twilight shed some tears.

"It is I who is sorry. I made you remember the death of your friend." said Twilight apologetically.

"It is alright. We Protoss pride in death on battle. We are after all a race of noble warriors, but nobility is just a facade to a dark history with even a darker past." said Zeratul with a grim tone. Twilight and Applejack listened attentively, with serious expressions on their faces. Zeratul looked at them, knowing what they wanted from him: The Protoss's story. He closed his eyes and nodded.

"Very well, but our story is rather unpleasant. Please listen carefully." he started narrating. An air of mystique filled the castle.

"Millennia ago, we were created in our planet Aiur by the Xel'Naga, which were gods of pure essence and form. We co-existed with them for centuries. They were responsible for our evolution, our well-being. Alas, that peace lasted only for a fraction of the lifespan of our race as a rogue Xel'Naga named Amon tried to create the most powerful Xel'Naga host using us. Hearing of this treachery, our race retaliated by distancing ourselves from our creators. Severing these links only made it worse
After this seperation, the Aeon of Strife, a war that lasted for millenia, was waged. The Xel'Naga, including Amon, were gone. Followers of Amon from our noble race were gone with him, thus creating the Tal'darim, who blindly followed him. Seeing this as a betrayal, the Protoss attacked Amon as sign of retaliation. Their leave caused the Protoss to go mad, prideful and egoistic as all wanted their powers for himself, so they started killing each other. Until a Protoss named Khas, also called "He who brings order", studied the forbidden teachings of our gods after findings one of their artifacts and gained access to the Khala, the Path of Ascension and the energy opposing the Void that I am using. Speaking of the Void, the period of Discord was next."

"D-d-d-discord?" asks Twilight, terrified. Zeratul closed his eyes and nodded.

"It was the period where the Protoss were separated once again. This time into the Templars or Khalai, who embraced the Khala, and the Dark Templars or Nerazim as we were called, who refused the Khala and embraced the Void. We were persecuted, marginalized, forced to go rogue against our own will just because of what we believed. The Conclave eventually ordered our execution but a hero emerged from our within our enemies: Executor Adun: One of the rare controllers of the Khala and the Void.

Twilight's eyes widened. This Adun must have been the friend Zeratul was talking about.

"I can read your mind, friend Twilight. I was born after he died. He is not the friend you seek" Zeratul reassured her "However, he's revered by both the Khalai and Nerazim as the Exalted One: The only Protoss to ever achieve such a title."

"Fascinating!" Twilight exclaimed, still phased by the amount of brutality there is.

"He taught us how to hide ourselves from our enemies by cloaking. He went against the Conclave's ruthless orders , but not at the greatest of costs: By combining both energies together, he burned himself to death, protecting us while we fled alongside our future Matriarch Raszagal, which established the Nerazim in the planet Shakuras where I was born three hundred and fifty years after Adun's death."

"H-how old are you, Zeratul?" asked Twilight, flabbergasted.

"By the Terran calendar, I am six hundred and forty one of age, young Twilight." he simply answered. Twilight dropped her quill while Applejack simply whistled, stetson still down in order to hide her conflicted emotions.

"You're as half old as Princess Celestia herself! You're ancient!" exclaimed Twilight loudly. Zeratul just tilted his head at the mention of the name.

"Anyways, that is most of the story of my race. I would be glad to tell you my own story but we shall rest for a little bit. Your friends seem to have gathered for quite a while." It is as he said as four figures appeared, looking at him carefully.

"One last question: How did you get in our planet of Equus?" That was the question.

"A Xel'Naga somehow saved me from death and brought me here for a purpose" Zeratul answered "As for that purpose, I am afraid even I do not know."

"Most fascinating!" Twilight's exclamation was so clear on her face. "Zeratul, I shall show you to a room where you rest. I am formally welcoming you to Equus as the Princess of Friendship."

"It would be most grateful. Despite my past and the past of my race, you accepted me as I am. It is rare to see such nobility, even among the Protoss ranks." At that praise, Twilight blushed a little, as they both excused themselves to his new chambers.

"You are one mysterious creature, Zeratul. I do not know what to make out of you to be honest. But one thing is for sure: He has shown no ill intentions at all, for now." that was a quick mental note by Twilight as she left him to rest while she rejoined her friends. Zeratul sensed that but simply bared no mind to it: It is natural to be cautious after all.