• Published 15th Feb 2016
  • 4,536 Views, 74 Comments

Monster In The Snow - Shady Steps



Actions have consequences even actions that seem so minor and harmless. One day the Princess of the Sun unwittingly lets a pebble fall down a mountain, blind to the avalanche she has unleashed.

  • ...
9
 74
 4,536

Chapter Seven, Understanding

She found herself in a pained delirious state, her body unwilling to respond as she was dragged away by the equine. She should have been fine, her body contained genetically engineered bacteria and viruses that specifically targeted microbial threats to her life.

Moaning in pain she was dropped with a thud on a slab of stone as her insides burned, her microscopic defenders failing in their duty. The world spinned in place and she turned to vomit again before, with a suddenness that stole her breath, she felt well.

Her body felt lighter and the world suddenly seemed more vibrant, happier. With a shocking weakness she turned to look at the equine as a strange presence soothed her and helped to heal the damage done.

The Equine would mutter at times, grunts and whinnies and neighs, nothing she could understand of course. With an odd lurching in her belly she began to feel something, a connection to the Equ- Pony. She was a Pony.

The revelation came slowly as the little Pony scribbled and muttered under her breath, knickers became tuts and neighs became sighs or yawns. After what must have been hours the Pony turned to her and smiled warmly and wished her a good night before turning and trotting away.

Then the world was simply darkness and she was alone with her thoughts.


Twilight looked at the strange thing on the table as Luna looked on eagerly. Upon arriving at the Crystal Empire the purple mare had been whisked away into a small dark room the Princess of the moon had commandeered. In a remarkably short time she had found the opportunity to add heavy black curtains to the cold crystal chamber and fit the bed with a moon themed bedspread that would not look amiss on the bed of a filly in her Goth phase.

Not that Twilight would know anything about that of course.

“Its beeping” The esteemed Princess of the Night and Grand Commander of the Equestrian forces added, she must assume she was helpful mused Twilight the very lacking in fancy titles.

“Yes it seems to be sending out some sort of distress signal on a wavelength I can't capture” the strange black boxy cylinder currently sat next to a state of the art brass computational device slash radio and the purple pony was doing her best to work out what exactly the black box was doing.

Less than an hour before Twilight had arrived Luna had decided she was bored and had pushed, in her words “a bunch of buttons” on the black box and when it had responded with an unknown dialectic she had simply opted to push more buttons eager to see how it would respond.

Twilight had almost never been quite so angry in her life but the larger alicorn seemed immune to her lecture on what not to do with things not understood. It was rather hard to remain angry at someone that just did not fundamentally understand they were wrong.

Twilight would have a very long session moaning to her friends about Luna when she got home she resolved. Identifying all the characters located on the screen Twilight looked over the scroll containing the unknown language and tried to match it with any of the various languages and dialects she knew cross referencing with a comprehensive book on the subject.

“Can you stop it beeping?” Luna asked hopefully as Twilight resisted the urge to bang her head on the table before her.


Star Seed activated, User not recognized, No genetic match, logging out..

Rebooting system, Genetic library found, data corruption 13%.
Fabrication library found, data corruption 36%
Micro fabricator found
Genetic sequencer found
School System damaged! Replace School System
Custodian AI not found
Capsule not found

Logging user, USER3 please enter a password now and register your account with the local administration. Password ttfw7wdYdw93hfT

USER3 please enter password again to send account to local administration for acctivation: fiaepjhgyefaj

Incorrect password, please enter password now.

Oigahehougheufofeaf.

Incorrect password, please enter password now.

IOhfuaeohgrafd

USER3 Locked, scanning, USER3 marked for unlawful access to a class1 system, scanning for authority...

Authority found, activating long range alarm.

USER3 be advised that you have been marked for the local authority, please have a nice day.

KEYBOARD LOCKED.


Shining Armour took measured steps into the darkness his eyes darting around the gloomy place in the uncertain light of his glowing horn. Drip, drip, drip. The quiet was steadily broken by some leak or spill that sounded nothing but oppressive to the Princes well trained ears.

His hooffalls felt louder than they had any right to be, a telling Clip, clop. That did nothing to calm his nerves as he trotted down into this dark place with two of his best at his flank. The cellar was large, row upon row of wine racks, bookshelves and odd looking arcane equipment, the martial prince could identify most if not by name. His sister had once had a place like this in his home in canterlot.

Nodding his head in the gloom towards the rows of wine his subordinates trotted into the cellar there eyes perked and there eyes open for any movement in the shadows. Armour had been approached by a old stallion raving about a demon in his basement and had heroically rushed to the rescue expecting a rat infestation or perhaps a drunk pony with a hangover.

The ground shaking pounding and inequine grunts of exertion had not been expected, nor did the prince expect the overwhelming darkness within the underground space.

Approaching the lab in the back of the cellar Shining looked down his horn lighting up only a small area before him, it was with a trained eye that he identified a broken containment rune. One reinforced and meant to contain the stronger demons.

Something clicked behind him. With grace that only came from years of drill and discipline the stallion turned and drew his blade with a magical flourish. With a roar the stallion looked at whatever had snuck up behind him and whatever had gotten out of that rune circle.

He came face to face with himself, reflected in a towering monsters face with the red glow of his horn casting dark shadows across its body of pale bone.

His sword clang uselessly upon its body and clattered to the floor the light from his horn going out.

Author's Note:

Thanks for reading, just so you know I am writing a story to run in parallel with this one and you can find it Here.

You don't need to read one to understand the other but they are sister stories and the events in one will effect the other.

There is also a competition on that story so be sure to take a look.

The following is something I wrote to act as a supplemental piece to the universe, its not necessary to read but i want to share it anyway. Enjoy!

The Celestine Class of Light Infantry spear was developed on the first month of the four hundredth and ninth year of the reign of our Princess Celesta alone and follows the Clover method of generating a concussive force from the rapid discharge of magic along a grounding implement.

The Celestine Class utilises the same convention for magical discharge but uses an advanced matrix cast with the grounding rod within the spear to direct the discharge more accurately.

The Celestine Class can also be used to direct magical attacks besides simple kinetic blasts but such enchanted charges are restricted to special forces.and naval operations.

The Model 51 Light Infantry spear is rated to fire with fifty six percent accuracy at ranges of up to two hundred meters should the operator be given the opportunity to brace themselves and aim. The Model 51 Light Infantry spear is to be fitted with a Military grade Charge with the dimensions of 50mmx 12mmx 14mm with a double pointed Cloudsdale style cut.

The charge should weigh six kilograms each before firing and each charge can only be fired once before it must be discarded and replaced. Replacement of the charge MUST be done via hoof or mouth and unicorns are prohibited from handling the charges with magic. The use of an insufficient Charge by means of creating a lighter load for transportation is strictly prohibited and is grounds for immediate discharge.

The model 51 Light Infantry spear MUST not receive modification from its user or the holder of its discharge ticket, all Model 51 Light Infantry spears that have received modification will be replaced and the cost of replacement will be covered by the guilty party, If the modified weapon still meets operational standards the guilty party may purchase the spear at a cost no less than two hundred and twelve bits.

If the modified weapon does not meet operational standards as outlined by the present commanding officer the guilty party will suffer correctional punishment up to the seizure of one year's pay. Officers may wish to levy a more immediate punishment as is there right and may punish the guilty party as per the standards set out in the officers no7 handbook

Addendum, Cosmetic modifications that IN NO WAY impede the operational effectiveness of the weapon so long as the cosmetic modifications serve to show loyalty or to improve morale and cohesion of a regiment, any officer present can rule over the validity of a cosmetic modification.

Comments ( 15 )

I find this one strangely interesting, I never really had a soft spot for Sci-Fi but this seemed to change my mind.
I welcome your tale to my library. I hope you can keep me entertained with it before I decide to erase it from my library.
Other than that, I wish you much luck with writing. And I'll be sure to check on it from time to time.

7227086 I am happy you have enjoyed my work! Science fiction to me has always been about looking at our culture, beliefs and species as a whole through the looking glass of the imposable, what we can be, what we will be and what we will never be.

7227105
Wise words indeed, I second that statement.

7306498
Eh. I don't think so. Somehow I doubt Cadence would be thrilled if he was just okay with that. In fact that might imply that he'd been sleeping around, maybe even with the same mare.

USER3 Locked, scanning, USER3 marked for unlawful access to a class1 system, scanning for authority...
Authority found, activating long range alarm.
USER3 be advised that you have been marked for the local authority, please have a nice day.
KEYBOARD LOCKED.

Mwahahahahaha :pinkiecrazy: You gonna get it now dark horse.

Also, all this little ponies seem to be of the shoot first, shoot again and then when everything is dead try to ask a question or two of the corpses. Its getting annoying. Not as much as Mi A-whore Cadenza and her slut festival back at the Crystal Kingdom.

7406122
To be fair, an 'open relationship' or multiple partners (wife/husband/?) is not the same as cheating. I am not in favor, but if you and the other people agree that it's okay to sleep with other people (whether that be a specific set of people or others) that's very different than agreeing not to and then going around their back(s) to do so. I don't think I'd call that marriage, but it isn't really singleness either.

Why is Luna hunting the girl? Is she trying to kill her or something? And what will happen when she sees her real face?

I'm waiting on the next chapter. Make it please.

Is it wrong to want to kick Luna in the muzzle? I'm seriously attempting to hold back annoyance-fueled rage. Great story though, I can't wait to see what happens next!

Moaning in pain she was dropped with a thud on a slab of stone as her insides burned, her microscopic defenders failing in their duty. The world spinned in place and she turned to vomit again before, with a suddenness that stole her breath, she felt well.

YOU FUCKING IDIOT, YOU KILLED THE MICROBES THAT WERE HELPING HER *PULLES OUT LASER THE SIZE OF A MINIGUN*

Ya ever gonna finish this story? or should i add it to my list of stories that 'where canceled but have the hiatus tag'?

7694280
"Eh, when you're immortal your regard for the value of life turns next to nil. I mean, most gods do it because they can undo it just as easily.
This bitch is just crazy!"

Is this history dead??:pinkiesad2:

9825055
I am currently working on another project that I want to get out of the way before I continue on this one and some one shit fics I have in mind.

Login or register to comment