• Published 12th Mar 2016
  • 480 Views, 13 Comments

Tales from the Ruby Hive - Zoljen



A collection of short stories about the changelings of the Ruby Hive.

  • ...
0
 13
 480

Cinder Part 4

Twenty-four Years after Hives Destruction.



Cinder let out a content sigh as she looked over the farm. Her mate, Blazeclaw, playing out in the snow covered field with their adoptive son. She sat on the porch to their home, grinning contently as she watched them throwing snowballs at each other. They kept this up for a good half hour before Blazeclaw noticed a grey tabby and purple colored griffin trotting up to their gate.

He and their son stopped and walked up to the gate, as Cinder watched from afar, mostly confused. They weren't expecting visitors today. She watched them converse for a bit, then Blazeclaw salute which made her raise an eyebrow. They conversed for a bit more after that, till Blazeclaw looked at their son. He quickly nodded and started running towards the house, namely her.

He panted as he stopped in front of her and grinned up at her. “He wants to talk to you, mom.”

“Me?” She raised an eyebrow, looking back at the pair of griffins still talking away.

“Yup, some pony tradition.” Bunker, the blue and black griffin chick shrugged.

“Huh…” Cinder started slowly. She stood up and walked towards the gate, with Bunker following and grinning.

Once she got closer, she could make out the tabby and purple griffin. He had a few small scars visible along his limbs, but he stood proudly. He grinned and gave Cinder a salute when she got close, making her stop with a questioning look.

“Coldbeak, I presume?” Cinder nodded slowly. “I have two things for you,” He grinned widely as he lowered his paw, a small blue glint catching her eye. “I believe the first you may enjoy, but it’s required for the second. Your arm that has the bracelet, please?”

Cinder looked down at it, the once silver ring that sat just snug enough to be both comfortable and annoying hung slightly limply now. It was adorned with small gems now.

“Uhh, I'm kind of attached to it now,” She glanced at Blazeclaw, who nodded slightly.

“We made it into something fancy. Not exactly a griffin thing, but… She isn't really a griffin, as you know,” Blazeclaw grinned as he nuzzled Cinder softly.

“Then it’s a good thing I asked about something else. Can I still see it?”

Cinder blinked and held it up, the griffin grinned and held out a small blue crystal towards it. He tapped the smaller blue crystal against the larger crystal four times, stopping for a second between the second and third taps. She watched the blue gem on her bracelet light up, then dim to almost darkness before resuming its very soft glow.

“There. Now… If you two,” he paused, looking at Bunker. “Er, three, would come with me. Your second gift awaits,” He took a few steps back before starting down the path. The pair just blinked, looking at him.

“What did you do?” Cinder asked, before trotting after, as her family members followed.

“I deactivated your ring. Technically speaking, you were free about five years ago. They just never bothered to come release you.” The griffin spoke calmly, barely glancing over his shoulder. “Name’s Quicktail, by the way.”

Cinder blinked, missing a step. “The same Quicktail from the riots of Canterlot?”

Quicktail sighed, “Please tell me I'm not that much of a legend out here.”

“I wouldn't say your a legend, just famous,” Blazeclaw chuckled. “Hence why I saluted you.”

Quicktail shrugged as the four trotted along, Cinder slowing a little as she neared her natural border that she has had for the past two decades. The others kept walking as she slowed down a little bit, once she passed what had been the threshold before, she was expecting to see her bedroom again, but the path remained.

Quicktail took a few more steps before turning and stopping, grinning at Cinder. “We are here.”

The trio stopped and looked around. “Uh,” Cinder started, just as Quicktail grinned wider and gave a short whistle. The trio heard rustling to the side, just as a green unicorn stepped out, her eyes never leaving Cinder as Cinder stared back. Cinder saw the changeling underneath the unicorn.

“It’s been too long, Cinder.” The unicorn spoke as she stood next to Quicktail, grinning.

“E-Ember?” Cinder squeaked out, barely able to believe her eyes at the moment.

“That's not all.” Another voice spoke out, as a snow white unicorn with a blue mane stepped out, an orange bat pony next to him. Cinder just stared between them as they stood next to Ember and Quicktail.

“Maybe everypony should just come out at once?” Quicktail offered to the air, chuckling softly. After a few moments, another half dozen came out of the brush by the road. Almost all of them in various pony disguises, except one. Blazeclaw focused on the natural changeling for a bit, before looking at his mate, who was just standing there, shocked.

A muted grey unicorn stepped out of the line of various ponies and up to her. Cinder looked down at the unicorn, starting to sniffle as memories came back. She shook her head and closed her eyes, trying to hold the tears back. She opened her eyes, focusing on the unicorn before her as Cinder sat.

“I… I’m so-” Cinder started to say, before a hoof gently silenced her. Cinder squeaked, as she looked at the unicorn, who wore a warm grin.

“I forgive you.” The unicorn spoke softly, grinning. At that, Cinder pulled her into a tight hug, quickly shedding tears as most of the others moved over and joined in the hug.

“Why is mom crying?” Bunker looked up at Blazeclaw. “And who is that?” He pointed to the changeling, who didn't move up to hug.

“You’d cry too if you saw your family after over two decades of being apart,” Blazeclaw grinned warmly, “And as for who that is, I don't know.” He looked at the natural changeling.

The changeling walked over to them, grinning. “Name’s Talon, Wonderbolt Recruit. And we are all from the same Hive.” He extended a hoof to Blazeclaw, who took it in his paw and shook it.

“Wait, Talon?” Blazeclaw looked over the changeling. “You were in that war that happened during the same time as the riots, weren't you?”

“Eh, yeah,” Talon waved a hoof. “Like Quicktail here, I don't care much for titles. But we are here for her,” He pointed to the pony pile of hugs. “Not to take her away, but to reconnect.” He grinned.

“And you’re only a recruit?” Blazetail asked, looking Talon over.

“My choice, actually. I think Captain Spitfire would have put me higher, but after the wedding fiasco. I thought it best to earn my way up. Especially since I can't really disguise myself.”

“Oh?”

Talon just sighed loudly, “Loooong story, you’ll get the run down later,” Talon turned to the group still hugging. “So, can we move this to someplace warmer? Unlike all of you in fur, I'm actually slightly cold.”

“You could've taken a pony disguise Mr cripple!” was shouted out from inside the pile.

“Meh, fine. I got my own fire to keep me warm anyway.”


Cinder grinned as she looked at everyone present. Her living room was currently occupied by most of her surviving hive mates. Topaz and Flame were currently in the kitchen, arguing over which spices to add to the meal they were cooking as Talon sat off to the side, chuckling. Ember sat in the middle on the floor, Bunker looking her over curiously with a young purple mare sitting next to her and a little hippogriff in her arms.

“I still can't believe you actually have a young chick!” Cinder blinked, looking the little hippogriff over.

“Little Levi here? Yeah. He was certainly a surprise,” Ember chuckled and grinned up at Cinder. “Still, I was thankful he wasn't born during the riots. That would have been very bad.”

“Yup. Still, earning that medal around your horn is a tremendous honour,” Blazeclaw nodded. “It couldn't have been easy to do what you did.”

“Eh, to be honest I still don't remember going dragon. Quicktail does though, and just keeps telling me I saved him and various guards.” Ember glared at Quicktail, who just grinned back at her.

“Still, how did Levi happen?” Cinder looked at the little chick closer.

“Well, Quicktail doesn't have a clue, nor does most of who is present. Faith Cure had an idea though; because I was effectively so full on our favored emotion after a Cloudsdale show, then getting more love energy while… erm... ” Ember blushed a little and coughed fakely into a hoof. “Doing that, the resulting energy allowed me to become fertile. At least for the time anyway.”

“Cloudsdale show?” Cinder raised an eyebrow, looking confused.

“Yes,” Scope nodded. “There was a Wonderbolt show in Cloudsdale a week or so before everything went to Tartarus in Canterlot. I was always curious how we’d fare after one of their shows. Now I know.”

“That really wasn't a riot. It was more of a full scale war in a single night,” Lode shivered as he spoke. “We all have seen wars, and those ponies can really turn it up to 11.”

“Yeah, that huge cannon was something else,” Feather spoke next. “And all the death we saw as we made our way into the city. If I didn't know better, I’d say Blueblood wanted to rule over a field of red instead of ponies.”

“But enough about that, it’s in the past and it should stay there,” Talon commented as he left the kitchen to the master chefs. “We heard from Melee and Flame that you have been here all this time. Of course, I can't really complain when I was a stone's throw from Ember for two months and never knew.”

Cinder raised an eyebrow as she looked at Talon, “You know, I am curious. How are you still almost the same age?”

Talon growled lowly as he flattened his brow and ears, “Discord.”

A resounding “Oh.” Sounded from Gleam, Bunker, Cinder, and Blazeclaw at the same time. Talon chuckled as he looked at Ember.

“Well, shall we give her our gift?” Talon grinned as he trotted over and sat by Ember.

“Oh yes, we should do that now,” She grinned widely and looked at Lode, who was already opening his pack. She turned back to Cinder, who looked confused. “We decided, since it’s been over two decades that we’ve seen you, to just give you a pair of books. The first is an address book, that contains all of our addresses, and the second… well.” She grinned as Lode slid a book sized package towards Cinder.

Cinder looked down at the package, and held it up in her magic. She slowly tore off the Wonderbolt colored wrapping paper to reveal what looked like a worn journal. She opened the book and saw various pictures of her hive mates.

“We made a scrapbook, there are plenty of blank pages so you can add your own to it.” Ember grinned widely. “This way, after we leave. You still have a way to remember us, and we each plan on getting a picture of your family too, so we can add it to our own.”

Cinder let out a few soft squeaks as she looked over the pages, seeing her various hive mates doing various things in the pictures. After a few pages she stopped and looked up at Ember, who was right next to her and pulled her into a hug. “Thank you so much!” Cinder hugged Ember tightly, making her squeak before she was able to return the hug as best she could. “I don't have a gift for you all though.”

“Seeing you again is enough of a gift,” Talon grinned. “Trust me, once I was able to, I gave Ember here a hug as well. And also apologized for our reunion being so painful.”

“And given what all happened, I forgave you,” Ember glared at Talon for a moment before returning to Cinder. “We are still on the lookout for more of our hive, so we will let you know if we find any more.”

“Well,” came from the door, making all those present turn towards it to see a blue dragon sitting in the doorway, grinning widely. “I may be able to point one more at you all. I hope I am not too late, Opal,” The dragon grinned widely at Opal, who had stood quickly and charged him. The dragon returned the sudden embrace with one of his own.

“Tesla! You’re just in time. I trust those behind you are your plus two?” She grinned as she leaned back. “And I feel we should move to the barn now. You and Mortalis won't fit in here, although...” Opal trailed off as she put a hoof to her chin.

Tesla blinked, “Yes indeed,” Tesla stepped back and gestured inside. A bright green dragon poking his head in shortly after the gesture, which looked around at everyone. Instinctively, the natural griffins growled at the dragon for a moment, before a few of the changelings followed what Opal did to Tesla.

“Jade!” Rang out from the various changelings as they all tackled and hugged the dragon. Quicktail and Blazeclaw both blinked, looking at Talon who had remained behind, along with Scope and Topaz.

“Who?” The griffins asked at the same time.

“Jade, another survivor from our hive,” Talon said with a grin as he trotted to the door and looked out at the pile on the dragon. He gazed a little bit beyond and saw another dragon, larger than Tesla by a little bit and a deep red in color with blue wings. Talon quickly lowered his eyes into a glare towards him. “And… who are you?”

The red dragon blinked, looking at Talon, then down to the changeling pile. “I am Mortalis, mate to Jade. And I will keep my claws lowered if you keep your hooves down.” Talon nodded as he slowly relaxed.

“Sorry, out of all of us, the event is still fresh in my mind,” Talon sighed. “It may have been close to twenty-five years for you, but it was only five years for me.” Talon shook his head and turned back inside.

“Yes, I am aware. That was a rough time for us as well, Borya did more damage than he thought,” Mortalis blinked as he looked at the door. “Uh, how do I get in?”

“Oh, that's easy!” Opal said suddenly from on top of Mortalis. “Take a deep breath!” She grinned down to him, her horn glowing.

“Uh, what do you plan to do Opal?” Mortalis looked up at her worriedly.

“Take a deep breath and you’ll see!”

Mortalis sighed as he closed his eyes and relaxed. After a moment he felt warm, and kind of tingly before the snow beneath his claws was replaced with a soft cushion. Even before Opal said he could open them, he quickly opened his eyes and looked around. Everyone looked so much bigger and he was inside!

“How…?” Mortalis slowly started to say, still looking confused.

“Teleportation and size magic,” Opal chuckled from Mortalis’s left. “And before you say that you're a dragon and resistant to magic. Your scales are resistant to offensive magic.” Opal reached over and gently poked the red dragons side. “So for the next twenty-four hours. You’re now Jin-sized!”

Mortalis just stared at Opal as she chuckled and continued. “How do you think we can heal your wounds, huh?”

“That… makes so much sense actually.” Blazeclaw mumbled off to the side.

“Well!” Opal grinned and stood up. “As Pinkie Pie would say, let’s get this party started!”

As Cooking Flame and Topaz Echo worked on dinner, adding in more to feed the dragons, Mortalis and Jade got introduced to everyone else. Stories were shared on how they got to various locations around the world, how they got to their respective jobs, a few of which working for the Royal Guard.

As the night wore on and drinks and food were had, Jade finally got to his part and revealed to everyone how the hive was destroyed. Most accepted it with a gasp, except Talon. He went silent as Jade explained his part, and after he finished, he excused himself from the house.

After a few moments of him almost storming out, Mortalis followed him out. Cinder sighed and followed as well. As she left the building and looked around, her ears perked up as she heard voices.

“You’re the last thing I want to see right now Mortalis!”

Cinder sighed and trotted over to where Talon was currently towering over Mortalis. Cinder shook her head and kept just out of sight.

“No, I think right now you do need to see me.” Mortalis stood as proud as a 2ft tall dragon could. “I am well aware that what the prince did was wrong. He was full of rage.”

“Yeah! And it's my fault that the hive got destroyed!” Talon turned away as he closed his eyes. “My fault that my queen died. My fault that so many of my family died that day, that I brought about the end of the Ruby Hive. I was supposed to be its protector, its guardian. And I instead bring about its destruction.”

Mortalis sighed softly as he looked behind him, directly at Cinder. He stared at her for a moment before looking back at Talon. “And what did you do after that?” Talon looked back at Mortalis as he continued. “You became a Renegade, you fought against impossible odds, all for what? Ponies that hated what you were, just because of some event that you weren't a part of.” Mortalis turned part-way away from him.

“Yes, you may have brought about the Ruby Hive’s destruction, but it wasn't just you who did. Borya paid for his crime,” Mortalis looked directly at Talon. “His wings were clipped, in the most painful of ways, and his fire breath was hindered.”

Talon raised an eyebrow at that. “How…?”

“His own father struck a nerve, literally,” Mortalis pointed to a spot on his neck. “A solid hit here, and he can't breath fire without it hurting him. To the point that almost burns his mouth.”

“That… doesn't make sense.”

“Yes it does,” Cinder spoke up as she trotted into view. “They basically turned up the temperature on his fire. Or lowered his resistance to his own fire. Take your pick,” she stopped as she stood next to Mortalis, who nodded. “Also, we don't blame you for the loss of our home, Talon.”

“But I…”

“You didn't know.”

“That's not true!” Talon turned and focused on Cinder. “I had a premonition about it!”

“Oh, that you saw the hive crumbling, but what was the source?” Cinder raised an eyebrow. “And before you ask, hive mind, remember? You kind of broadcasted it loudly.” Cinder chuckled as Talon blushed slightly, looking down and away. “We kept it quiet. But honestly Talon, we never knew what the source was.”

“When Jade found out,” Mortalis stepped up. “He only glared and growled whenever he was near the prince. And Borya couldn't do anything to him with me next to him. And he feared what I would do to him if he did do anything to Jade.”

Talon sighed, looking down at the ground and remained silent for a long time. Mortalis walked up to him and put an arm over his side.

“Borya hurt the dragons just as badly as he hurt you. You may not see it, but he is still paying the price for making us lose our best healers and builders. It was one of many factors that forced us to peace with the griffins and the ponies of Equestria.” Mortalis sighed. “Honestly, next blood feud, I'm sitting out. And going to take a page from Tesla’s book and become a hermit with Meru and Jade.”

Talon raised an eyebrow at that. “Meru?”

“A wyvern, whom I love just as much as Jade,” Mortalis’s cheeks darkened a little as he grinned sheepishly. “And she loves us both just as much.” Mortalis shook his head after that then looked back at Talon. “But that isn't relevant. I understand you need some time alone. I just wanted to clear a few things up.”

Mortalis waited a moment before starting back towards the building. “Honestly, you should be thankful as many of your hive survived as it did. I heard what happened to your sister hive, the Quartz. None survived that one,” Mortalis glanced back at the pair. “Tesla told me all about it. Our feud came in, spread like a literal wildfire, and engulfed the whole hive. So that is partially our fault.”

“I…” Talon started, looking at Mortalis.

“We are naturally a violent species, Talon. Fighting is what we do, even the griffins admit to that. But there are some of us who hate it, and I have learned that there is a time and a place for conflict,” Mortalis sighed and started back towards the main building. “Think on it, Talon. You of all ponies should know what it's like to fight for reasons beyond your comprehension.”

Mortalis vanished back into the building, leaving Talon to sit in the snow and look down. Cinder sighed softly and walked up to his side, sitting next to him and draping a wing over him. “You’re still beating yourself up about it, aren't you?” She asked, looking at him.

“It was five years ago for me. I still get nightmares about it, seeing the rocks falling. Hearing my family call out to me for help. I have tried to ignore it, but it's still there,” Talon closed his eyes, and sniffled as he continued. “It has been going away, somewhat, with each hive member we find.”

“But it will never fully leave,” Cinder leaned on her brother. “We all still get nightmares about it occasionally, Talon. I should know, seeing the dragon that did all this to me still shows up from time to time in my mind. But I'm surrounded by family, a family that I wouldn't leave for the world. And seeing all of you again,” She trailed off as she looked at Talon. “It's the best day I’ve had in the last twenty-five years.”

“But…”

“I was alone until seven or so years ago, when I ran into Flame and Melee at a stall. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw them. Like my mind had finally snapped and I was dreaming them up,” Cinder paused to shake her head. “When they saw me, and tackled me. I was so happy that I didn't care if my disguise dropped. And then seeing the rest, learning that everypony had some grand adventure, I was stunned.”

Cinder grinned as she pulled Talon in close. “Scope is a royal guard serving directly under Shining Armor and Princess Cadance, that sounds so awesome and I’d love to see the Crystal Empire. Heck! I would love to see your floating compound! See Canterlot in all its rebuilt glory! I have missed so much being cooped up here. But it's my life and I wouldn't trade it for anything.”

“Thanks,” Talon leaned on Cinder and rested his muzzle on her shoulder. She sighed and kept him warm under a wing, and they remained there for a couple minutes before Cinder shivered. Talon sighed softly and looked up at her. “We should get you back inside where it's warm.”

“Yes, we should. But are you feeling up to seeing Mortalis?” Cinder looked down at Talon, who shrugged slightly in response. “You're not going to try and stab him, are you?”

“No, I promise to be a good scout.” Talon sat back and raised a hoof.

“You were never a scout.” Cinder chuckled as Talon pouted.

“Not true! I had to scout a safe route for the Wonderbolts once… twice… a lot.” Talon trailed off. The pair shared a chuckle before Cinder led Talon back inside. Once inside, they shared the rest of the evening with the others and plenty of cookies and other desserts. That night all of them slept on the floor of the living room, or on the couch or chair, or somewhere where they were close to each other and had the best dream possible.

The next morning, Cinder woke up to the scents of breakfast being cooked. She yawned and grinned as she sat up and looked towards the kitchen. Mortalis was barely visible over the counter, and appeared to be helping Flame and Talon cooking up breakfast. She sighed contently as she watched them.

It wasn't long before the rest started to wake up and soon all were chatting away with others. Cinder sat back on the floor, leaning against the couch as she just watches everypony chat. Bunker soon sits by her side and looks at everyone. He remains quiet for a moment before looking at Cinder.

“I think this is the happiest I’ve seen you.” Bunker grinned over to his adoptive mother as she looked back at him.

“Next to the day you started calling me mother. But this one does rank a little higher.” She grinned as she pulled him closer into a hug. “I hope you don't mind.”

“I like seeing you smile, in fact I wish to see it more often.” Bunker leans over to nuzzle his mother.

“I’ll try to do so in the future.” Cinder grinned and leaned down to nuzzle Bunker. The pair remained snuggled together, Bunker under Cinders wing, till a click was heard. They both looked up towards it, to see Ember grinning and lowering a camera.

“I couldn't resist.”

Author's Note:

And Cinder's story ends on a warm note, with her reconnecting with all the hive members that have been discovered so far!