• Published 11th Feb 2016
  • 5,154 Views, 84 Comments

Flame of Disparity - Cinders of War



Sunset Shimmer awakens in a cold and distant land, with no recollection of how she got there. With ravenous beasts and blood-thirsty mobs after the flame that she carries, Sunset will need all her wits to survive this deadly night.

  • ...
7
 84
 5,154

Chapter 23: Fyrlon II

The third Flame of Death burned brightly in the rocks surrounding Twilight Sparkle, with one one rock still empty.

Sunset Shimmer could feel it now. She was close. So very close to the end of it all. Only Gravewing, Firedrake of the Depths remained, wherever it was holed up at.

What that spirit of the Rite of Kindling had told her still stayed in her mind, about the Lord of the Waking Nightmare. Whoever that was, they now knew that Sunset was stirring.

Fyrlon clearly displayed that change in atmosphere.

The warm sun by the sea was now high in the sky, covered over by an eclipse, now only a black orb, with a small aura of fire behind it, along with a pillar of flame shooting up from beyond the horizon, likely coming from the Throne of the Fallen Hearth.

That was Sunset’s end goal. Once she obtained the final Flame of Death, the way to the throne would be opened to her. Whoever this lord was, he was likely waiting for her there.

“You are close, Young Flame.” Twilight stopped beside her at the cliffside overlooking the sea and the eclipse. The orange sky was now a dark red, almost the colour of blood. “The dark ones sense it too. They know you are coming and they will stop at nothing to make sure you fail.”

There was a giggling sound from nearby, and Sunset looked over to see whence it came. To her joyful surprise, there was a familiar somebody there with a head of poofy pink hair, seated beside Sandalwood, the pyromancer she had rescued from the caverns.

“Hey, my hero!” Sandalwood said, looking over at Sunset. “How’s the pyromancy working out for you?”

“Sunset Shimmer!” Pinkie leapt to her feet and threw her arms around Sunset’s shoulders. “You’re still alive!”

“Sure am, Pinkie.” Sunset tried to breathe, but it was difficult to do so. “Too… tight, Pinkie…!”

The pink girl hopped off and giggled. “Gee, something about you smells different. It’s almost like you went on into a dream within a dream, somewhere like an old white world, where you battled something within yourself to unlock a hidden power.”

“Don’t tell me you got all that just from smelling me.”

She shrugged. “Meh, just a hunch.”

Same old Pinkie Pie. Sunset smiled to herself. That was nice. “And Sandalwood, thanks for the pyromancy flame. It’s helped me many a time in my trek forward.”

“You’ve a natural talent for fire, I’ll give you that.” He pointed a finger at her. “You’re gifted, Sunset Shimmer. Not just with that flame of yours, but your skills too.”

“I picked them up from an old friend.” Sunset reminisced her many adventures up till now. Looking down, she remembered she needed a new set of armor. The one she was currently wearing was just about blown to rags, which thankfully, still covered important parts of her body. “Do you know where I can grab some armor?”

“You’re asking the right person!” Pinkie leapt back and grabbed her hands. “Come on! I’ll show you to the blacksmith!”

Her legs turning into mini-propellers, Pinkie dashed off, dragging Sunset behind her as she raced to a small building on the northside of Fyrlon. It’s roof was partially gone and its walls were caked with moss and vines.

“Maud, I brought someone who is in need of some armor!” Pinkie pushed open what was left of a wooden door.

There was a grey-skinned girl seated in front of an anvil, holding a hammer. She wore a scorched leather apron and a disinterested look on her face.

"Hello, Pinkie," Maud droned. She turned to look at Sunset. "Hello, Sunset."

“Maud? You’re the blacksmith?” Sunset raised an eyebrow at the hammer and anvil. “I thought Pinkie said you have a rock farm?”

“Metal comes from rocks,” Maud explained in monotone. “Just like how people farm chickens for eggs and… chicken, I farm my rocks for weapons and armor.”

“But… rocks don’t… breed…” Sunset muttered, but chose to forget about it. “Anyway, Pinkie said you can make me some better armor? The one I currently have… isn’t up to standard anymore.”

“I can,” Maud replied. She picked up her hammer and hefted it. “What kind of armor do you want me to make?”

Sunset rubbed her chin. “Well, I suppose I don’t want anything too heavy. Enough for me to still jump and roll without being too encumbered.”

“Then you’ll want something with both light steel and leather.” Maud flipped her hammer in her hand and got to working on her anvil. “Won’t be long.”

Maud picked up a chunk of ore from a pile nearby and began to pound on it with her hammer against the anvil. It made a sharp ringing noise as the smith hammered away, shaping the lump into shape.

“We should probably go do something else now,” Pinkie suggested after a few minutes of watching. “Maud works a lot faster when nobody’s watching.”

Sunset nodded and allowed Pinkie to lead her to the outside of Fyrlon. There was a large tree growing out of the rocky soil there, and seated beneath it, playing with something in her hands, was Fluttershy.

Sunset had never been happier to see another friend, especially since the last time she had seen Fluttershy, she had been impaled by that skeleton centipede.

“Fluttershy, you’re okay!” Sunset threw herself on the stunned archer, who’s flute went sailing into the air and landing back on her head. “It’s great to see you!”

“L-Likewise, Sunset Shimmer.” She grinned awkwardly, rubbing at her head. “Glad to see you’re still carrying on strong in your journey. One flame left.”

“Yeah…” Sunset said, letting go of Fluttershy. “I’ve learned a few things since we last met, but to be honest, I still feel a little out of my depth. Especially when I’m alone.”

Fluttershy looked at Sunset with understanding. She reached into her pack and took out a small brown round object. She held it out for Sunset.

“I want you to have this, Sunset.”

Sunset looked at the object. It looked as though it were made of wood.

“What is it?” She asked.

Fluttershy motioned for Sunset to take the object.

“It’s a seed from this tree,” Fluttershy said expectantly. “You said you didn’t like being alone, so this seed is perfect for you.”

“Oh, well, uh… thanks.” Sunset held it up to examine it. It was a strange seed, shaped like a teardrop, but it was hollow, with a hole going right through it to the other side. “So what do you want me to do with this, eat it?”

Fluttershy shook her head. “Hold on to it. Think of it as a lucky charm. It will keep you safe from invaders.”

“Well… I can’t say no to something that’ll be of use.” Sunset placed it in her satchel.

“Yeah. Hey, do I get one too?” Pinkie stretched her arms out expectantly.

Fluttershy dug around in her pack, but came out empty handed. “Sorry, Pinkie. I only had the one.”

“It’s okay. Not like I need it!” The pink girl chuckled. “I’ve traded lots of souls to Twilight, so I’m strong.” She somehow rolled up her armor sleeves to show her biceps. Pinkie cocked her head to the side and jumped. “Sounds like Maud is done with your new armor. Let’s go get it!”

Sunset was about to follow behind her, but stopped when Fluttershy had grabbed her hand, a serious expression on her face.

“Yeah?”

“Sunset, listen. I heard what happened with… Rainbow Dash,” the pink haired girl said. “As much as I didn’t like her, I would never wish she would be dead. I am sorry you had to go through that.”

Sunset sighed and looked away, her face downcast. “Yeah… She did it for me, Fluttershy.”

The other girl nodded. “She may not have been a nice person, at least to me, but she was loyal to her friend to the end.”

“She was.” Sunset eyed the eclipse, finding that she could look directly at it without any adverse effects. She was going to end it all for her friends. “I’ll need to get my armor before I go on.”

“Wait.” Fluttershy pulled her hand again. “That wasn’t what I wanted to tell you. I wanted to tell you what lies ahead.”

Sunset waited for her to continue.

Fluttershy took a deep breath and started again. “Gravewing lies deep within the Primordial Grotto, the birthplace of all beasts. To get there, you first need to get to the Forgotten Gallows, which is south of Fyrlon. You’ll find an old bridge that will take you there.

“But be warned, Sunset, this is what I wanted to tell you. The Gallows lie within the spreading Abyss. Anything living would die if so much as a foot is stepped into it. Unless you have a special ring, I do not know how to traverse the Abyss. I do not know where to find such a ring, but you, Sunset, perhaps your Flame of Life would allow safe entry.”

“Ho-how will I even be sure of that?” Sunset didn’t want to find out the hard way if she could help it.

“You’ll just have to get there to know for sure.” Fluttershy placed her hand on Sunset’s shoulder. “The Abyss is no place for any traveler. There are dark beasts there that not even the most seasoned hunter would like to face, but that is where you will find the Primordial Grotto, and with that, your final Flame of Death.”

“And yet, I have to go there,” Sunset said. “I’ll ask Twilight if she knows anything about the Abyss, but right now I have to go collect my armor.”

“Won’t you stay for a while?” Fluttershy asked, her eyes large and twinkling. “You could rest here awhile and recover your strength.”

Sunset longed to say yes. Spending some time here in the safety of Fyrlon with her friends sounded, after all she had gone through, like a dream come true.

But in the end, she shook her head. These weren’t even her real friends, as much as they looked and talked like them.

“I would love to stay, Fluttershy. Really I would, but I know that the longer I stay here, the less I’ll want to leave, and leave I must. I have a date with Gravewing.”

“Gross…” Pinkie laughed. “A date with Gravewing. Good one.”

Fluttershy nodded, though she looked as though she might burst into tears at any moment.

“All right then,” Fluttershy conceded. “If that’s what you have to do. Keep the seed safe, Sunset. It might just save your life one day. I’ll be here. If there is anywhere you need to go besides the Abyss, don’t hesitate to ask. I’m sure Pinkie and I will be happy to help.”

The pink girl flipped around and placed an arm around Fluttershy. “She’s right! We’re just a call away! Most of the time. Now come on, your armor awaits!”

Bidding Fluttershy farewell, Sunset was led by the exuberant Pinkie Pie back to Maud’s workplace. The grey-skinned blacksmith was cleaning her anvil with a cloth when they arrived.

“Oh, you’re back,” Maud said flatly. “I finished your armor. It’s over there on the table.”

Sunset looked to the right, where a plain wooden table stood, and arrayed on its surface was a gleaming new set of armor, fresh from the forge.

She reached out a hand to it, then stopped and turned back to Maud.

“May I?”

Maud nodded. “I made it for you. Do with it what you want.”

“Thank you, Maud!” Sunset said gratefully before stripping off her old armor and putting on the new set. It was mostly mail touching her skin, with metal plate fastened on top for greater protection. The armor covered all her vital spots, even protecting the neck with a mail and leather gorget. Sunset fastened her star sword to the armor’s sword-belt, and slung her pack over her back. The armor even had small pouches on her legs to store things in and Maud had supplied a small hunting knife to strap to her thigh, in case of emergencies.

“This is amazing, Maud!” Pinkie swooned, looking as Sunset put her armor on. “You’re a really fast worker.”

Maud nodded, then picked up another hunk of metal from her stash and began hammering it.

“I’m going to make a frying pan now,” The blacksmith droned. “Boulder is getting hungry and I want to cook something for him.”

“You do, Maud!” Pinkie said encouragingly. Then she turned to Sunset. “You look like a knight in shining armor, Sunset!”

Sunset smiled. “Thanks, Pinkie.”

“That’s not a compliment,” Maud spoke up above her hammering. “Shining armor means it hasn’t been used. The most handsome kind of armor is the kind which has protected its wearer from harm. Which yours will.”

“Uh, yeah, that’s right… I guess.” Sunset rotated herself around to get a better look at her new attire. It was made mostly of chainmail and leather, which wasn’t all that heavy. She figured with some souls, she could get Twilight to make her stronger, so the weight would be more manageable. “It looks really good too. Thank you again, Maud.”

Maud continued hammering out her frying pan. “You’re welcome.”

“Come on, you said you wanted to level up, right? Before you head out?” Pinkie tugged at Sunset’s arm as she made for the door.

“Level up?”

The pink tornado of a girl giggled. “Giving souls to Twilight, silly. It’s basically leveling up.”

“How do I know how many of these souls I have?” Sunset asked as they went back to the main bonfire of Fyrlon.

Pinkie shrugged. “Eh, you just know. The more souls you have, the lighter you’ll feel once you spend them.”

“Right.”

Twilight was waiting beside the bonfire, gazing out to sea where the beam of light from the eclipse disappeared beyond the horizon.

“I’m ready to continue my journey, Twilight,” Sunset said as she got closer. “Could use a… level up.”

Pinkie giggled behind her.

“Very well, Young Flame.” Twilight stretched a hand out. Sunset knelt down before her like the last time and the firekeeper stretched her hand out. “Take nourishment from these sovereignless souls.”

Once she was done, Sunset stood and hopped a few times. She did indeed feel lighter. Stepping back, she tried rolling a few times on the ground, noticing how much easier it was now to roll and get up. Even with her new armor, which was heavier compared to her last one, she found she was now rolling at the same speed as her previous armor.

“And now your journey to the final Flame of Death begins, Young Flame.” Twilight backed up a step and nodded. “Remember, it shall be the Abyss you traverse. The Abyss is an unnatural darkness, born from the unknown as the flames began to fade. What you find there will be unlike anything you have faced thus far.”

“Yes, I figured.” Sunset balled a fist and looked at it. They didn’t know if her flame would let her walk into it, but she had to get there to know for sure.

“Is there anything else you would like to know before you go?”

“This world,” the fiery haired girl said. “Who created it?”

“I… I do not have the answer to that question, Young Flame.” Twilight looked away disappointedly.

“No names? I heard from the Rite of Kindling spirit that there is a Lord of the Waking Nightmare. Could you tell me anything from that?”

“The what now?” Pinkie looked confused.

“The spirit of the Rite of Kindling…” Sunset said slowly, looking around at the puzzled face of Pinkie and the thoughtful visage of Twilight. “You’re telling me neither of you knows what I’m talking about?”

Pinkie shook her head, still looking as though she had been told that the clouds were green.

“Did you hit your head or something, Sunshim? Cause I’ve been all over and I’ve never heard of this Righto Kingling spirit…”

“Neither have I,” Twilight voiced.

“See here.” Sunset dug in her pack and produced the red and black flame. “It gave this to me and told me I can gain more estus from using this at a bonfire.”

“My, I have never seen such a flame…” Twilight stretched a hand out as to touch it, but held it back. “Do as it says, Young Flame. Place it in the bonfire.”

Walking to the central Fyrlon bonfire, Sunset crouched down and placed it on the rim of the fire. The Rite of Kindling flickered once, twice, then faded into the orange flame.

“Hmm…” Sunset stood there waiting for something to happen, but nothing came. “Is… that it?”

Suddenly her pack felt heavier at her side. Confused, she flicked it open and looked in, finding three more estus flasks had been added to the rest, excluding her white estus flask and her ashen estus flasks.

“What… how…” Sunset shook her head. If this was all a dream, then she had to expect anything could happen. “This is great! I have more now! I can survive longer!”

“Great!” Pinkie did a random cartwheel and stopped beside the bonfire. “I would say I’d come with you, you know, help you plow your way through all the tough beasties out there, but unfortunately, I can’t go to the Abyss. I’d just die.” She snickered. “You have fun in there, okay?”

“Fun? Ha. Fun isn’t something I’d consider when trying to fight my way out of this nightmare.” Sunset placed a hand on her star sword’s pommel. “But I’ll be sure to have courage and never give up.”

“Good attitude, Young Flame.” Twilight turned her head towards the south. “Then you know what must be done.”

Giving them both hugs, Sunset soon found herself walking away from the safety of Fyrlon once more and towards her next destination. Looking up at the burning eclipse in the sky, Sunset knew she was close to the end, but she couldn’t help but feel a little uneasy. Something was coming and that something didn’t want her leaving this world.

Author's Note:

And so begins Sunset's final leg to the last Flame of Death! Hope y'all enjoyed this chapter, even in its simplicity. Cheers!