• Published 11th Feb 2016
  • 1,279 Views, 24 Comments

Canterlot High Chronicles - Shadowsnake89



Canterlot High has many interesting students outside of Twilight's group. Ever wonder what do they do in their day?

  • ...
5
 24
 1,279

On Feathery Wings

Heavy rain comes down in Canterlot as Sunset Shimmer makes her way home, a large umbrella shielding her from the elements. She steps back from the curb of the sidewalk as a car zooms by, splashing water where she was just standing. Just as she is about to cross she hears a squeaking sound coming from a grate below her. “What the?” She looks both ways to make sure no vehicles are incoming before peering down into the sewer grate. “Hey there little guy. How did you get yourself stuck in there? Don't worry, I'll get you out.”

Canterlot Animal Shelter

“Okay Angel, I'm all done fluffing your tail.” Fluttershy says as she and the other girls tend to their pets: Aria with Ticki, Rarity with Opal, Applejack with Winona, and Rainbow Dash with Tank.

“Thanks for letting us have this grooming day Fluttershy.” Applejack says.

“Yeah I think Ticki is really enjoying this. Aren't you boy?” Sonata says, giving the ferret a bath in a small tub as he attempts to wriggle free. “No, bad ferret.” She says as the animal runs up her arm and begins crawling all over her. “Aria help me!”

The ferret's owner is busy working in the hallway, lifting bags of pet food to take to the storage room. “Ticki, no, stop.” She says sarcastically as she walks passed the door. Aria is stopped in her tracks by Adagio, who gives her a stern look of disapproval. “What?”

“Ticki is your pet. If he needs a bath, you'll give it to him.” She says forcefully.

“But I have all this to do.”

“You wanted a pet, then you take responsibility for him. You can finish this when you're done.” Adagio points a finger, signaling her into the room.

Aria places the bag she has over her shoulder down and walks toward the room. “Bossy fluff ball haired, thinks she's mom. Gets on my last nerves.” Aria mutters under her breath.”

“What was that?”

“Nothing, I just have a cold.” Aria says as she heads into the room with the others, walking over to Sonata, who is still wrestling with the ferret. “Come her boy.” Aria says as she holds out her hand and Ticki crawls onto her.

“I sure wish I had a pet.” Pinkie Pie says, pondering over her own statement. “Maybe something cool like an alligator.”

“Not sure your parents would appreciate that.” Dash says as she scrubs her tortoise's shell.

“That and you probably don't want a pet you might wake up inside one morning.” Adagio says as the group turn to see a soaking wet Sunset Shimmer standing in the doorway, cupping something in her hands.

“You alright Sunset?” Applejack asks as the girl steps forward.

“I'm fine, but I don't know if he is.” She opens up her hands, revealing a small chick. “I found him stuck down in a storm drain.” Fluttershy rushes over to take a look.

“Oh my. We need to get some fresh towels to warm him up right away.” The girl says as the others rush to help her, leaving their pets to themselves. Angel the rabbit is visibly upset that he is not being paid any attention. He leaps down from the table and hops over to where Fluttershy is standing and begins kicking her in the back of the leg. She stops what she is doing momentarily to look at him. “Sorry Angel bunny, I'll finish your brushing in a minute. Right now we need to get you dry.” The girl says as she turns her attention back to the small bird.

“How long was he down there?” Applejack asks.

“I don't know. I was on my way home and I heard him.”

“With all the heavy rain we've been having he might have been washed down one of the drains and separated from his family.” Fluttershy explains as they wrap the scared chick in some towels.

“He's a tough little guy I'll give him that.” Aria says as Ticki sits on her shoulder, eyeing the small bird. He licks his lips before attempting to pounce on the defenseless. His owner fortunately reacts fast enough to stop him, grabbing the ferret by the tail as he tries to get free. Amid the chaos, Sunset shields the chick from harm. “Ticki stop it! I mean it. That's it.” She puts him in his pet carrier, locking him in. “You can come out when you get a little less crazy.”

“It's okay little guy. Nobody is going to hurt you.” Sunset reassures the chick as it nestles into her. As the other girls gather around, Angel angrily glares over before turning to Ticki as the two give a nod in agreement.

The rabbit hops over to the carrier and communicates with the ferret with several thuds of his foot. “I don't like this kid. He's trouble.”

Ticki responds with a set of squeaks. “Ah you're just saying that because you're not the center of Fluttershy's attention.”

“And you're the one in a cage.” Angel responds.

“And I can own up to it. Besides it's not my fault the little fluff ball looks delicious.”

“Right. More importantly he's hogging all of the attention.”

“So.”

“So, just wait. Right now it's just a few minutes. Soon they'll be gushing all over him every second of the day and neglecting us.”

“Dude, you're a rabbit, so your credibility is 50/50 to begin with but you make a good point. What's the plan?”

As the two converse they are interrupted by Winona, who sits herself next to them with Opal on he head. “What are you guys talking about? Is it a secret? Is it about sticks? Is it about secret sticks?!” She asks in rapid succession, panting heavily as any excited canine would do.

“Dogs.” The two say in condescending unison as they fill the others in on their scheme.


Several Days Later

“Hey there. How's my favorite little guy doing?” Sunset says as she arrives at the shelter as she has the last few days to check on the chick, which they now know to be a gosling. She opens the cage door and lets him out as he scurries excitedly around the open room before hopping onto Sunset's boots. The girl can't help but chuckle as she picks him up. “I missed you too.” She then places him in a wicker basket, lined with warm clothes. “Let's go meet the others.”

The girl and her new pet, which she has decided to name Gossamer, arrive at a park a few blocks away from the shelter where her friends and their pets are waiting for them. “Hey Sunset.” Pinkie greets her as she presents the large picnic spread that has been prepared.

“So glad you could make it darling.” Rarity says, lightly stroking Opal, who quickly jumps out of her arms and strolls away. The others begin to greet her as well as their world's Twilight arrives as well.

“Hi everybody.” She says. With her is Spike. “This must be little Gossamer.”

“That's right. I found the poor little guy stuck in a storm drain so I scooped him up and brought him to Fluttershy.”

“Hey buddy.” Spike says as he approaches the small bird, who is hesitant to let him come closer.

“It's okay, he won't hurt you.” Sunset assures as he tentatively moves closer to the dog, who responds by licking him, causing the chick to peep in excitement and perching himself on the purple dog.

“Look at him. They think he's so cute.” Angel communicated with a series of taps to Ticki, Opal, Tank and Winona.

“Absolutely. Who does he think he is?” Opal says, grooming herself. “Just yesterday he swam all through my milk bowl.”

“The little dweeb keeps taking up half of my grooming time!” The rabbit says angrily.

“And worst of all, Aria won't let me put him in my stomach!” Ticki says, drooling as the others give him peculiar looks. “What?”

“I don't mind him,” Tank says slowly. “He doesn't seem so bad.”

“That's because he hasn't stolen your thunder yet,” Ticki says, the group watching as Gossamer entertains the girls with his antics, the bird attacking an empty plastic cup, knocking it around the table as the girls laugh. “Just wait, you'll get sick of him soon too.” The group soon finds that Winona has left their company and moved back over to the girls, attempting to imitate Gossamer's popular feat. She jumps up at the table, knocking over some cups, causing their contents to spill over everyone.

“Winona, no! Bad girl!” Applejack scolds, causing the dog retreat back to the other pets as the girls attempt to clean up the mess. “Sorry about that y'all. She's never done that before.”

“It's alright Applejack,” Sunset says as she helps to clean up. “nothing a few paper towels can't fix.” Gossamer vigorously shakes his feathers dry, garnering a laugh from the girls.

“I hope the other pets aren't getting jealous of all the attention Gossamer's been getting.” Twilight says as she helps clean up.

“Oh, I hope poor Angel hasn't been feeling neglected. That would make me feel just awful.” Fluttershy says, looking over at the pets.

“I'm sure their fine,” Aria says casually. “It's just like having a new sister. At first it's a pain since you have to share the attention, but you get over it eventually. I'm sure they'll do the same.”

“Got over it?” Sonata interrupts. “You tried feeding me to a giant squid!”

“Yeah, that was like a thousand years ago and you should get over it. I have.”

Applejack gets between the two to speak. “What she means is that the other pets just need time to get used to the little fella.”

“Yeah, I'm sure they aren't doing anything crazy like plotting a revenge scheme to get rid of Gossamer.” Pinkie says spontaneously as the others chuckle.

“You know Pinkie, usually your random theories are write but this time I think you're a little off.” Rainbow says, brushing off her friend's seemingly ludicrous idea. Unbeknownst to them the pets are busy communicating with each other.

“See what I mean?” Angel thumps as a depressed Winona rejoins them.

“Are you okay?” Tank asks.

“Applejack doesn't like me anymore!” Winona howls as she nuzzles the tortoise's shell.

“It's okay Winona. I've got an idea that will fix everything once and for all.” Angel says with a diabolical smirk.


That Night

The group of pets meet up outside of the local hardware store. “Alright everyone,” Angel says, greeting the others. “Wait a minute, where's Tank?”

“Well we were going to wait for him but, you know, tortoise.” Ticki says as they gather around. “So what's this brilliant idea?”

“Yes, I certainly hope it was worth getting up at this dreadful hour.” Opal complains, lightly grooming herself.

“We're going to give that little pest the boot once and for all,” Angel says deviously, noting the drool coming from Ticki's mouth. “We're not eating him. What is with you?! We're going to ship him somewhere he'll never bother us again. Opal did you bring the thing I asked for?”

“Yes, yes. Though honestly I don't know why you'd need these piece of paper.” The cat says as she pulls a packaging label from under her collar.

“I've seen the humans put these on boxes and other humans come and take them away. If we put him in a box and stick this to it, bye bye birdie.”

“So why are we here?” Winona asks.

“Well since we can't outright grab him and shove him in we'll have to lure him into our trap. For that we'll need some supplies.” The bunny explains as the group enter the hardware store, the automatic sliding doors letting them in.

“Thank you so much for shopping with us and please come again.” The store cashier says joyfully. As the customer exits the store, the rose haired girl's expression switches from joyful to annoyed. “When I'm not working.” She says sourly, quickly switching her mood again as she hears the door open again. “Welcome to...” The pets slide right under her notice as they slink passed the counter. “Oh great, another malfunction.” She says sourly as she leans on the counter top.

“Sour Sweet, if you don't have anything else we need to unload the fertilizer for tomorrow's sale.” Her boss says, his voice carrying over several aisles.

“Oh that's a great idea sir,” She says happily. “So why don't you do it yourself?” She says under her breadth as she proceeds around the counter.

“What was that?”

“I was just saying that it was so nice of you to hire me,” She says smiling in his direction before turning her face into a frown after she turns away. “and that this job so isn't worth a new pair of shoes.” As she begins the tedious task of setting up the display, the pets go about their task collecting everything that Angel designates, going unnoticed by the employee and her boss.

“Alright, I'll be in the back if you need me.”

Winona stops right in front of a large section full of plumbing supplies, spellbound by the long tubes and shining metal. “Shiny sticks.” She says as she sits down in the aisle. Meanwhile the others are busy gathering string, screws and anything else the bunny directs them to get as they place everything in a small bag, pulled by Ticki.

“How much more do we need?” The ferret asks.

“Just one more thing.” Angel says as they round a corner, Sour Sweet catching sight of Opal's tail out of the corner of her eye.

The girl stops what she is doing and cautiously moves in their direction. She quietly moves around the corner and spots the group grabbing a set of curtains. “Awe, a group of adorable animals,” She says as her smile sours and she pulls a broom from behind her back. “who're about to be beaten like the thieving vermin they are.” She swings the broom at them, chasing them down several aisles, knocking over several displays. Meanwhile, Winona has finally decided which “stick” she wants. The canine pulls out a plastic pipe from the bottom of the stack, causing the rest to spill over the floor, just as the other pets have run passed. The new obstacles cause Sour Sweet to slip, sending her gliding across the floor into the bags of fertilizer, several of the bags bursting open and spilling on top of her.

The pets hastily make their way out before the store manager rushes over to find the girl covered in their latest product and the adjacent aisle a complete mess. “I'm not sure this is going to work out Sour Sweet. I'm going to have to let you go.”

The girls eye begins to twitch slightly as she sits up. “I understand and I'm so sorry,” She says as she brushes herself off. “but not as sorry as those animals are going to be.”

Outside the pets scurry around the corner with their new equipment. They stop, looking up to notice the rocker, Valhallen staring at them. He remains silent, pulling out his phone and snapping a shot of the group before heading on his way. “Right, well let's head to the park and get things sets up.” Angel says as the pets leave.


Canterlot Animal Shelter

The next day the girls have arrived at the shelter to aid Fluttershy in cleaning out some of the enclosures. Before they get started they decide to leave their own pets in one of the play rooms. “Alright, we shouldn't be that long, ya'll can stay here 'til we're done, 'kay Winona?” Applejack says as she rubs the dog's head.

Aria sits Ticki down and prepares to join the others. “Behave.” She gives the simple, stern command before leaving, closing the door behind her.

The pets all gather up to discuss the plan. “Alright everything is set,” Angel says as the others listen intently. “Now all we need to do is lure the little twerp away from Sunset.”

“Wait, what?” Spike asks confusedly.

“We're going to get rid of that little nuisance for good.” Opal explains.

“But why?”

“He's hogging all the attention from the girls and we're not going to take it anymore.”

“Well I'm not going to let that happen.” A determined Spike says as Angel frowns.

“I had a feeling you'd say that,” The rabbit wriggles his ears as Ticki pushes a bucket off the table just above the dog, trapping him underneath. Winona follows up by placing Tank on top, squashing any chance of Spike escaping. “Now then, who has the bird seed?”

The group open the door and quietly make their way down the hall where the girls are working. “Alright, let's do this,” Angel says as Opal cuts a hole in a bag of birdseed with her claws and Winona drags it down the hall, leaving a trail. “Excellent.” As Sunset and the others are busy working, Gossamer, who is nestled in a blanket on a chair, spots the seed and anxiously hops down and begins to eat the seed down the trail. “That's right, come to papa.”

“Looking at the intricacies of the trap Ticki can't help but wonder, “How did you get all of this set up?”

“You'd be surprised how fast squirrels can work for a hand full of seeds and some nuts,” Angel states as he spots Gossamer a short distance away. “Places everyone.” The group all get into hiding spots as the last bit of seed has been sprinkled over a wooden trigger pad in the center of the room. Moments later, Gossamer makes his way into the room and inches ever closer to the trigger. Unfortunately for the group, perched just above him is Ticki, who is drooling constantly and, not being able to wait, prepares to pounce. Angel gestures for him to desist his current actions to no avail. Seconds later Ticki has jumped from his hiding spot, causing the others to follow suit to stop him, accidentally landing on the pad that sets off several switches and catapulting them into a large box.

The trap follows up with three rolls of packaging tape gliding down on strings sealing the top and the box, sitting on yet another pad is launched out to the front of the shelter. “You dummy. I hate you. Hate you!” Angel shouts as they attempt to get out. “Gah! Why are there so many packing peanuts? Leave it to squirrels to not cut any corners.”

Having watched the entire ordeal, Gossamer frantically waddles back down the hall. He flops into the room, making excited chirps. Running into the back of Sunset's leg, he begins pulling on her boot to get her attention. “Hey little guy, what's wrong?”

“Maybe he has to...you know...go.” Pinkie says.

“I don't think so.”

“Well he definitely wants something,” Dash says with her arms folded. “And he definitely wants you to go that way.” The girls follow the chick as he leads them to the room where their pets once were. “Tank? What are you doing up there?” The rainbow haired girl lifts the tortoise off the bucket as Spike knocks it over, tumbling on the floor.

“Spike? What happened?” Twilight asks as the dog gets his bearings, Gossamer continually chirping. “We don't have much time we've got to save the others.” The dog and chick quickly run out of the room, heading toward the front door as the girls follow again. They reach the front door only to discover that the box is gone. Gossamer panics, jumping up and down.

Meanwhile

Inside of the box the other pets are trying to come up with some way out. “So what do we do now?” Opal asks.

“How should I know?” Angel responds angrily.

“Well this was your brilliant plan. And I use the term loosely.”

“Hey my plan was foolproof. Though if there was any fool who could muck it up it's Drooly McDroolsalot here.”

“Hey, what did I do?” Winona says defensively.

“Not you, him!” The three pets look over at Ticki.

“It's not my fault...”

“that he's delicious, we know.” The trio complete his statement.

“Well look on the bright side. We'll never see Gossamer again.” Ticki says in an attempt to lift the mood.

“Or Rarity!”

“Or Applejack!”

“Or Fluttershy!” As the for begin to argue they feel the truck come to a halt and look upwards as the box opens up, their owners both happy that they are alright and a bit angry with them.

The Next Day

The group of pets are once again at the park with their owners all seated at the picnic table watching Gossamer's antics. “It's good that the girls found us before we got shipped to somewhere horrible.” Ticki comments.

“All thanks to Gossamer,” Spike says. “If he hadn't gotten the girls there's no way they would have reached you guys in time.”

“Maybe the little guy isn't so bad after all.” Angel begrudgingly admits as everyone hears a loud honking. The girls and pets turn to see a mother goose and her goslings on the other side of the park's pond. Gossamer jumps up excitedly flapping his wings.

“Is that your mom?” Sunset asks as Gossamer shakes constantly. She hesitantly lets him down as he rushes toward the water. He stops and turns back to jump into the girl's arms. “No little guy, you have go. It's...it's where you belong.” She sets him back down, pointing him toward the water.

“See ya little guy.” Dash says.

“Good luck.” Fluttershy says with a tear in her eye.

“Sorry about Ticki almost eating you.” Aria apologizes casually.

“We'll see you around.” Pinkie says happily.

“It's been a pleasure.” Rarity says her goodbyes.

At the same time the pets all come over to say goodbye as well. Winona gives the bird a friendly lick, Opal rubs up against him, purring lightly, Tank extends his foot to Gossamer, the chick doing the same with his wing, and Angel gives him a hug. Ticki comes in last and gives him a hug as well. He stops, beginning to sniff him and starts to lick his lips, drooling heavily. “Get him away from me.” He says swiftly as the other pets pull him away. Gossamer chirps happily as he hops into the water and makes his way over to the goose mother. She nuzzles him happily and he proceeds to get in line with his siblings. He takes one look back to Sunset before he and the others head across the lake and eventually out of sight.

The other girls look at Sunset, tears welling up in her eyes. “Are you alright Sunset?” Rarity asks.

“Yeah, I'll be fine. I just need some time.” The pets gather around to console her as she begins to smile. “Thanks you guys.”

“I know what will make this all better. Ice cream!” Pinkie says excitedly. “Come on everybody, I'm buying.” The girls walk over to the park's concession stand, leaving the pets by the water. As they enjoy each others company a shadow blocks out the sunlight. They turn to see the none too pleased Sour Sweet over them, tears in her eyes.

“That was the sweetest thing I've ever seen. I almost don't want to have to do this.” She says sweetly seconds before she begins to frown, revealing a broom hidden behind her back. “Almost.” The pets all look to Angel, who can only respond with a nervous gulp as the angry girl looms over them.