• Published 11th Feb 2016
  • 1,286 Views, 24 Comments

Canterlot High Chronicles - Shadowsnake89



Canterlot High has many interesting students outside of Twilight's group. Ever wonder what do they do in their day?

  • ...
5
 24
 1,286

Romiette and Julio

“Come on, come on,” Wiz Kid said excitedly as Velvet Sky follows behind him into a group of students gathered in the hall around the message board. “I have to see if I made the list.”

“What's the rush anyway?” The girl asked as the two pushed their way through.

“I have to see if Adagio and I got parts,” He scrolled down the list to find his name. “I made the list! I made the list!”

“But it doesn't say who you'll be playing. What part did you audition for?”

“I didn't audition. We all got called to attend some meeting and they picked out a bunch of us and told us to come back today to find out what play we'll be doing. Something done by a Shakespeare. Honestly never heard of him.”

“Neither have I,” Velvet stopped to think for a moment. “Wait, you got a part in the play without knowing what part you actually got or what play it is? What kind of casting call is this?”


Later

“I wanteth to thank all of thee for coming the present day .” Watermelody said joyously at the large group of students in the music room. “This shalt forsooth beest a performance to recall. Romeo and Juliet. A tale of drama, family feuds and forbidden love.”

“This is going to be fun,” Adagio whispered to Wiz as they stood next to each other. “What part do you think you got?”

“Not sure. I'm not even remotely familiar with this play.”

“Me either. I go back to Equestria and find out a thousand years worth of history has passed so if it was a thing there I missed out.”

Watermelody snapped her fingers as Norman stepped up with a stack of scripts in hand and began passing them out to the students present. “These art thy scripts. Each of thy specific parts art highlighted. Practice hard, commit the words to memory, and in one month we wilt giveth the anxious crowd a showeth that wilt not beest soon forgotten.”

“What about rehearsals?” Tennis Match inquired as she scrolled through the many pages.

“I believeth that the part should feeleth natural. To that effect methinks the best way to do't is for thee to rehearse on thy own. I wanteth this to beest excit'ment, and more importantly, packed with excitement.” Watermelody's explanation left the students looking a bit confused as she happily posed before them her arm outstretched over them. “Now wend mine friends and commit this to thy hearts and on opening night all of thee wilt shine brighter than the stars in the sky.”

The group of students talked among themselves as they exited the room. “Did any of you get that?” Buzzsaw asked as Thunder Bass, Snails and Fleetfoot shrugged their shoulders. “Oh, good. For a second there I was feelin' left out.” She is soon joined by Indigo Wreath, who walked up beside her.

“Don't worry. In time Watermelody will start to make since. Give or take a couple of years.” As they walked down the hall Bass spotted Cherry Crash coming their way. The group was quite surprised to see her walking alongside Crystal Prep student Royal Pin.

“Then my dad took me aside and said to me 'Son, you know how your mother said you think with your head and your father thinks with another part of the body? Well I think it's time we talk about exactly what part that is....The stomach.'” Pin finished his anecdote to Cherry's laughter as they met up with the others.

“Hey guys, this dude is hilarious.” Cherry said as the others gave them blank stares.

“Please, you give me far too much adulation. I think we make each other better.”

Cherry responded to Pin's comment with a short peck on the lips. “We do, don't we?”

Bass points to them before being the first one to speak. “Are you two...?”

“Yeah, what of it?” Cherry said defensively, her hands on her hips.

“Nothing, it's just that I got the vibe you hated each other.”

“Well we did,” She said as she leaned into Pin. “But after we helped Flash and the princess out we got to talking.”

“And it turns out we've got quite a few things in common.” Pin finished. “Cherry tells me you've auditioned for a play.”

“More like conscripted.” Snails said.

“It's Romeo and Juliet.” Fleetfoot explained further.

“Ah, can't beat the classics,” Pin said in a relaxed voice. “Hope you can all do it justice.”

“I'll say. This stuff makes about as much sense to me as putting glasses on a fish.” Buzzsaw said as she looked over her script in an attempt to decipher the speech patterns of the play. She quickly became flustered as she tried to go through one sentence without stuttering over the words.

Wreath placed a reassuring hand on her shoulder to calm her. “Don't sweat it. We can rehearse together. In fact, why don't you all come over to my place later this week and we can get a feel for the parts?”

“Sounds like a plan,” Bass said as Snails and Fleetfoot agreed. “Do you think we should ask Adagio and Wiz Kid?”

“Nah. They're probably want to have as much time alone together as possible. Apparently they got the lead roles.” Wreath explained.

“Good for them,” Cherry said as she shuttered for a moment. “Do you guys feel that? Like the eyes of something full of rage are upon you?” The group shook their heads as she shrugged her shoulders, not noticing a figure down the hall that swiftly dipped into a nearby class.

“Hey I think you just gave me an idea for the title to our next album.” Bass said as the group departed the school.

Back inside the school music room, Norman finished getting everything organized as he prepared to leave himself. “You can come in, everyone's gone.” He said as High Winds entered quietly, shutting the door behind her.

“Everything go as planned?”

“Yep, gave them both the altered scripts just like we agreed.” Norman said as he collected the rest of the papers into a box. “You sure this is going to work?”

“Oh please,” High Winds waved off his concern. “If I know those two, which I do, they'll never pick up on what's going on until it's too late. Then it's pure humiliation time.”

“But aren't you banking on the fact that no one will tell them a little too much?”

“Maybe, but I'm an all in kind of girl. Thanks for help by the way.”

“Don't sweat it,” He said as he stared out the window, watching Captain Planet talking with Blueberry Cake, his ex-girlfriend. “There are some people who just have these things coming. But I'm sure you can understand that from this point on you're on your own.”

“Trust me, this is all I needed.”


Apple Family Farm (One Week Later)

“Oh speak again bright angel!” Adagio read through the script as she and Wiz sat on her bed in the upstairs room. “And sails upon the bosom of the air.”

“Oh Romeo, Romeo. Where for art thou Romeo? Deny thy father and refuse thy name; Or, if thou wilt not, be but sworn my love, and I'll no longer be a Capulet.” Wiz read as the two stopped for a moment. “I think we've got this down packed.”

“I think so. You know I've been to a few plays when I was back in Equestria but never anything like this.”

Wiz scrolls through the pages as he silently read over the material. “This Romeo girl is a little forward. Usually it's the guy that climbs up to his girl's window.”

“Maybe it's one of those new age plays or something.”

Wiz looked over at the clock adorning Adagio's wall, taking note of the time. “It's getting late. I'd better be heading home.”

“I guess we lost track of time.” She admitted. “Do you need a ride? I could ask Granny Smith to...” She stopped, remembering the last time she was in the car with the older woman who'd opened up her home to she and her sister. “On second thought you'd be better off walking. Same time Saturday?”

“You know it.” The two shared a short kiss before Wiz exited the home. After the two said their goodbyes Adagio headed back to her room, grabbing a pillow from her bed and held it close to her a she let out a short sigh of pleasure. She danced around with it for a few moments before falling back on the bed. For the second half of it Aria stood in the doorway and observed her sister.

“You gonna make out with it too?” Aria said with a huge smirk on her face as Adagio sat up immediately. “You know it's these little sappy moments that make me wish you'd go back to barking orders because this is just plan weird to see.”

The elder sister, her face flushed red from embarrassment, chucked the pillow at Aria, hitting her in the face. “Get out of my room!” She shouted as she got up and slammed the door in Aria's face, opening it seconds later to retrieve her pillow.

“Sheesh, love can make some people so touchy.”

Meanwhile, Wiz Kid was well on his way as he made the six block walk home just as the sun was setting. Unbeknownst to the young man, he was being watched from the second story of a nearby house halfway home.

“Look at that fool, thinking he's so great. I'll teach him to spurn my advances.” The voice said in the dark room as they peered through a pair of binoculars at the street below.

“High Winds, why are the lights out.” Curly said as he hit the light switch to find his sister in the middle of her activities. “Really?”

“What?” She asked as she frantically closed the shades to keep herself from being seen. “It's a free country. I can peer out of windows onto the street watching certain people if I want to.”

“Right. Anyway, mom says dinner's ready,” Curly said as his sister folded her arms and gave him an angry glare. “You know, all that anger's not good. It's eating you up inside.”

“You know what you can eat?!” She shouted as Curly put his hands up and excused himself.

“Relax, I'm leaving,” He closed the door and proceeded to back away slowly. “Great, I have a creepy, vengeful stalker for a sister now. I'm never gonna hear the end of this.”


Canterlot High (Two Weeks Later)

The large group of play participants had gathered in the auditorium a week before the big event as Rarity, assisted by Rose Heart, help to get the cast fitted for their costumes. “Alright everyone line up here and we'll get your roles and measurements for your respective costumes.” Rarity said as she soon began writing down the names of each actor as Rose took the measurements. “Next.”

Adagio stepped up as Rose began taking her measurements. “What role?”

“Romeo.” Rose stopped as she and a few others stared at Adagio for a moment. “What?”

“Um, that's a guy part you know?”

“Uh no it's not.” Adagio said as Wiz stepped up.

“Yeah, we've been rehearsing this for weeks.”

“Hate to burst your bubble but,” Fleetfoot hands them the script she'd been carrying in her backpack. Wiz and Aria scroll through the script as their eyes open wider as they read further. They hand back the papers as the two students faces are red from embarrassment. “You guys seriously didn't know?”

“Well this is what happens when Watermelody uses her 'hands off' approach to directing.” Wreath said in their defense.

“But the scripts we have have this completely reversed.” Adagio explained as some of the others chuckled.

“How could this have happened?” Rarity inquired.

“No idea. But someone had to go through a lot of trouble to edit their scripts for the parts to be completely changed.” Fleetfoot said as the others began to think.

“We can play the blame game later,” Adagio interrupted. “Right now we've got a more pressing matter to attend to.”

“What are we gonna do?” Wiz asked in a panic. “There's no way we can rehearse all the parts again and be ready by the play.”

Adagio bit down on her lip for a moment before speaking. “Well I have an idea, just not sure you're going to like it.”


Canterlot High (Opening Night)

After a few ups and downs, the play's premiere night finally arrived as many family and friends began heading to the outdoor stage. Outside, along with many others, Cherry Crash arrived with Royal Pin, who was dragged forward by the girl. “Come on slowpoke. I wanna get a good seat before...” She stopped suddenly, shivering as if something was climbing up her spine.

“What's wrong?”

“Don't know. It's like I have this feeling that something bad's going to happen. That or I just got a sudden chill.”

“Take this just in case.” Pin removed his jacket and draped it over her shoulders.

“Such a gentleman.” She said as she gave him a small kiss on the cheek and the two proceeded to head inside.

Not far behind them Curly and High Winds made their way through the crowd as well. “Glad you decided to come along sis.”

“Well it's like you said. Staying cooped up in the house all day isn't going to do me any good. Besides, I get to spend some time with my bro.” High Winds playfully punched him in the arm as the two went back and forth. They joined Applejack, seated with her friends, who waved them over.

“Glad y'all could make it.” She greeted as Curly took a seat right next to her and High Winds sat on the other side of him.

“Wouldn't miss this for the world.” High Winds said before turning her head slightly to hide a devious smile.

Backstage the cast are awaiting the opening curtain as Adagio gets the finishing touches on her hair by Rarity. “How are you feeling back there?” She asked as she relaxed in a chair, letting Rarity continue her work.

“Ridiculous!” Wiz exclaimed, hiding himself behind a rack of clothing.

“I know it's a little...embarrassing but this was the only way the play could go on. Remember, I'll be right out there with you.”

“All done.” Rarity handed the girl a mirror and she looked herself over, her once puffy hair pressed flat, the majority of it tied in a low ponytail that ran down her back.

“Thanks Rare.”

“You're quite welcome.”

Adagio stood up and made her way over to the rack. “It's going to be okay. I promise.” She said in a soothing voice as she held her hand out. Wiz reached his hand through the packed clothing and placed his hand in hers as they awaited the big moment.

After a short while the play starts as everyone is settled in. Heath Burns, playing the part of Capulet, opened the dialogue with Paris, played by Thunderbass. The two handled the scene well, winning the audiences attention. The real attention grabber came in the next scene, however, as Buzzsaw took the stage as Lady Capulet accompanied by Wiz, who had thee role of none other than Juliet. This caused no shortage of laughter from the crowd as the boy, donning a wig, stood in front of the audience.

“What is this?”Cherry said as she tried to contain her laughter.

“That's certainly...something.” was all Velvet Sky could say as Photo Finish took a snapshot of the scene.

“Humiliation.” Wiz said under his breath before taking a quick look backstage where Adagio was giving him much needed encouragement. He relaxed, tuning out the laughter and looks and remembered his lines. The play moved on to Romeo and Juliet's first meeting as Adagio took the stage.

Rainbow Dash couldn't help herself and began chuckling with a few others. “Rainbow Dash!” Fluttsershy rebuked as Dash rolled her eyes.

“What's so funny?” Sonata asked innocently as Dash whispered to her and Aria.

Aria for her part, put on a huge toothy grin as she took in the information. “This is too good to be true.”

“I still don't get it.” Sonata said much to Aria's annoyance.

“Just eat this.” She handed her a bag of candy.

“Oh boy taffy, my favorite.” The girl quickly stuffed her mouth only to find the sticky treat rendered her unable to keep talking. “Mmm...ant...alk.”

“Exactly.” Aria said as she sat back comfortably to continue watching the performance.

Although it had a rather bumpy start, the audience eventually warmed up to the rather unique choice of casting. Three-fourths of the way through the play High Winds began to get irritated that her plan was failing. She got up from her seat and headed out the back, eventually getting back stage. “Winds, what are you doing back here?” Norman asked as she grabbed him by the front of his shirt.

“There's going to be a little change in the final act. Got it?” She said as he slowly nodded his head. A short while later she'd tied up Thunderbass and taken his costume. “It's a little loose fitting but it'll do.”

“Do for what exactly?” She turned to see Curly and Applejack standing behind her.

“What's goin' on here High Winds?”

“Nothing.” She said through gritted teeth.

“Really? So you didn't have Adagio's and Wiz's scripts rewritten to humiliate them then, when that plan didn't work, tie up Heath in the back to take his part so you could ruin the play?” Applejack deduced as the girl balled her fists. “Why are you doin' this sugarcube?”

“Why Applejack. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I'm incredibly spiteful!”

“Well cool it.” Curly said. “This is their big night and we're not going to let you ruin it. And besides there's two of us and only one of you.”

Two Minutes Later

“You shouldn't have messed with me you two.” High Winds said, dusting off her hands, leaving the two bound and gagged in the storage room under the stage. “I have a black belt in Judo for a reason. But don't worry I'll be back just as soon as I wreck this play.” She shut the door and locked it before heading backstage for the final scene.

Applejack and Curly try to loosen the ropes to get themselves free. The two communicate in Morse code by tapping a foot against the floor. “'There's two of us and only one of you.' Nice going you goof.” Applejack mocked as she struggled.

“I didn't see you coming up with any ideas of your own, bright or otherwise. Now you wanna argue or do you wanna get out of this?”

As the duo continued to argue, the final scene was playing out on stage as Wiz/Juliet lay on the set as Adagio/Romeo said her line that signaled for Heath/Paris to take the stage. High Winds kept her face concealed with a cloak until she was fully on stage, tossing it aside to face Adagio. She skipped the lines and rushed Adagio with her sword, who blocked with her own as the two locked blades for a moment. “What are you doing here?” The siren whispered to her.

“Taking back what is mine.” She pushes off Adagio and said the only line she felt mattered. “Obey, and go with me; for thou must die.”

At this point Adagio threw whatever lines she had out the proverbial window. “Don't make me fight you. She...he...we're happy together. Why can't you just let us be?”

“I know what you've done. We all do and you don't deserve him.” She rushed forward as the two traded blows with their prop swords.

Wiz, having opened his eyes and seeing the situation decided to improvise. “Oh no. My Romeo, locked in battle with another, I must aid him in some way.”

“I may not be the smartest but I don't think this was in the script.” Snails said as the others backstage agreed. Watermelody was noticeably silent to the ordeal that was playing out.

“Should we do something?” Fleetfoot asked as they watched the two go back and forth on stage to the audiences' excitement.

“Nah,” Buzzsaw said as she looked on. “It's like my pop always says: When there's a fight that's got nothin' to do with you just sit back, relax and enjoy the show before the sheriff shows up.”

“I'd really like to meet your dad.”

“Yeah, he's a real card.”

Though most of the audience took it as part of the show, it didn't fool the Rainbooms or Dazzlings for a moment. “Come on girls they need our help.” Sunset said as the group awkwardly attempted to get out of the aisle.

“You hear that? I was right. Something is definitely wrong.” Cherry, having overheard the group, told Pin, who was seated with his phone held toward the stage. “Are you actually recording this?”

“There are two girls on the catwalk, sword fighting over a boy in a dress. When will I ever see this again?” He explained as Cherry promptly sat back down.

“True.”

Back on stage the two girls traded blows as High Winds pushed Adagio against the back wall. She swung several times, missing each as the plays protagonist ducked beneath them. “You really think he'll take you back after all this? Just because you decided to have a tantrum?” Adagio looked back and quickly unfastened one of the ropes that held up the sandbags overhead. She grabbed on as it lifted her high above the stage to as she released her grip, landing on the catwalk above.

As she breathed a sigh of relief, her rest was cut short as the blue haired girl copied the move, landing right across from her. “You've had this coming. After all you've done you think you deserve a happy ending?” Winds swipes at Adagio's leg and, although the blade is a prop, still stings. “You're nothing but a monster in human skin.” She swung again, knocking the blade from the girl's hand as it tumbled over the edge. She swung several more times, which connected to several points on Adagio's body before she swiped one across her stomach which forced her down on her knees.

Adagio didn't respond, her head down looking down at the audience. Out of the corner of her eye she caught sight of Wiz on the catwalk behind High Winds with a prop dagger in his hand. “I'm human enough for him.” The small snark caused the girl to lose whatever cool she had left as she raised her sword high over her head. Wiz immediately threw the dagger to Adagio, who parried the overhead strike, causing High Winds to lose her balance and fall on her back to the cheers of the audience.

Wiz walked passed her, giving only a short disappointed glance before he rushed over to check on his girlfriend. “Are you alright?”

“I'm okay,” She whispered to him. “Just a little sore. For a prop sword that thing does some damage. All the same, we'd better come up with a good way to end this.” he nodded his head in agreement as he thought of something before turning back to High Winds.

“Returneth to thy lodging and I beg thee to trouble us no more. We hath found comfort and peace with each other and I pray that someday thee wilt findeth it as well. I would thee only the best mine lief Paris.” As Wiz helped Adagio off the catwalk, the blue haired girl clutched the sword in her hand and, getting to her feet rushed them from behind. Adagio swiftly pushed Wiz forward then dove down herself as the swing misses wildly, causing her to lose her footing as she tumbled over the side, her hand barely catching the grate on the walkway.

“Can't hold on.” Just as Winds grip weakened she looked down dizzily at the stage below. Suddenly she felt a pair of hands gripping her arm. “What are you doing?”

“What are you nuts? We're saving you're life.” Adagio exclaimed as she and Wiz attempted to pull her up.

Winds looked down then back up to the two. “Let me go.” She said simply.

“Are you crazy?” Wiz asked. “Wait let me rephrase that. You're crazy. No way are we letting go.”

“That's how this story has to end.” She said with a tear in her eye. “Besides, you've already let me go once.” She pried their hands from her arm as she fell to the stage below.

“No!” The two cried out. Their outburst was unwarranted however, as the girl merely fell through the trap door of the stage where a mattress, set up by Sunset and the others had been set. “Oh.” They then remembered the play was still ongoing and decided to finish. In their newly made ending, Romeo perished from his wounds during the duel and Juliet, similar to the original impaled herself with the dagger rather than live without him. The performance received a standing ovation from the crowd as everyone, High Winds included took a bow.

Later

“Look, I...I...” Winds tried her hardest to find the right thing to say as the trio walked together. “Words can't even describe how sorry I am for what I said and did.”

“It's okay.” Adagio said as she placed a hand on her shoulder. “I know a thing or two about losing control.”

“So do you feel better now?” Wiz asked.

“Heck no. I hijacked a play and almost killed myself over a guy. Nope, High Winds is one seriously messed up little bird. I think I need professional help.”

“Well if you ever need anything or you just want to talk we're here for you.” Adagio said.

High Winds looked off in the distance and noticed Norman talking to both Cap and Blueberry Cake, the three seeming to reconcile as well. “I'd like that. Thanks you guys.”

Before the three could talk further, Watermelody stepped in front of them.

“Listen Melody. We're really sorry about the...” Wiz attempted to explain before she squealed with joy.

“That wast the most stupendous thing I've ever witnessed. So unorthodox yet so bold, so alone. Thou has't forsooth given thou own special ending on such a classic tale and I wholeheartedly approve.”

“You do?” The trio said in confused unison.

“Indeed. I wast wondering if 't be true thee three would beest willing to beest in mine next playeth? I calleth it Goldie Locks and the Three Bears: A space opera.”

The three trade glances for a moment. “I'm in.” Winds chimed in first.

“Us too.”

“Excellent.” The drama student happily skipped off as they filed out of the area.

A short distance away, the freed Applejack and Curly, accompanied by Cherry and Pin watched the resolution to the situation. “Well this was definitely not the best night of my life.” Curly admitted.

“Why, because we spent a portion of it bound and gagged under the stage?” Applejack replied. “Not to mention the fact that High Winds went psycho on our friends.”

“No, because I found out my little sister is stronger than me.”

“Seriously, that's what worries you?” The two began to argue back and forth as Cherry, Pin and the Rainbooms excused themselves.

“Well look on the bright side,” Sunset commented. “At least this whole crazy love triangle thing is out of our lives for good.

Cherry stopped again, her body shaking again as if a cold winter wind was at her back. “What is this coming from?”

“Hey!” The group turned to see an angry Indigo Zap standing behind them, glaring at Pin and Cherry. “Take your hands off my man, sister!”

“We broke up, remember?” Pin said under his breath, trying not to draw any unwanted attention.

“Oh something's getting broke tonight. Her pretty little face.” Indigo said as she walked toward them.

“So it's gonna be like that, huh?” Cherry responded by taking off her fingerless gloves and removing her earrings, handing them to Pin. “Hold these.”

The two girls wrestled to the ground as the others tried to separate them. “Some people just can't let go.” High Winds said from a short distance away as Adagio and Wiz gave her raised eyebrows. “What?”

Author's Note:

NEVER again will I use an online Shakespearean translator.