• Published 11th Jun 2012
  • 13,096 Views, 311 Comments

Re-Arranged - ThatHandsomeDevil



A fanfiction in the same vein as My Little Dashie, but with a... Celestial twist. Not a carbon copy.

  • ...
17
 311
 13,096

Short: Celestia's Lullaby

Note from the Author: ((A few days ago I woke up earlier than normal, and didn't have much to do. I grabbed my acoustic guitar and walked outside, where it was still dark and the sun was just barely coming up. I sat down and began to play softly, enjoying being able to hear my music very clearly. As the sun rose, I suddenly thought about Princess Celestia, and My Little Celestia. As I played, I began playing softer, sweeter notes. I began to wonder what David, provided he could play guitar, would play for little Celestia if she was having trouble sleeping.

Here's what I came up with. Please listen to it to get an idea of what David played for Celestia))



There was a time I can remember when Tia was still new to my household. She had gone to bed early, and I was outside in the living room, watching television. I wasn’t paying much attention, as my thoughts were elsewhere.

It was still soon enough after little Tia had come into my household that I wondered about her: What she was, where she had come from. Sure, she had supplied me with some answers, but they were all still hesitant, herself, although young, very reluctant to tell me much, for lack of full trust.

From my back room, a low whimpering began to emanate. I could just barely make out the sound of covers rustling and little feet kicking.

Tia was having trouble sleeping again.

I walked into the room we shared, watching her as her little body tossed and turned, jarring the covers this way and that. Her little muzzle was opened, soft whimpers escaping from it. I simply looked on, fearing waking her up in case she hurt herself or me in her fright

She suddenly awoke herself with a start, gazing up at me with her big purple eyes, the edges of them dotted with clear tears.

“You… You’re here!” She said, jumping out of bed faster than I could register and into my arms, burying her muzzle into my chest.

“Wait, what’s wrong?

She said through her tears “I had a weawy scawy dweam that you were gone and I was never going to see you again!” she said, clenching me close to her, as if to assure herself I couldn’t leave if she held me tightly enough.

I smiled, and put my arms around her, holding her close

“Tia, I promise that I will always, always be here for you, no matter what.”

She sniffled, her words becoming clearer.

“Pw-pwomise?”

“I promise.”

I laid her back down in my bed.

“Say, how about I show you something special?”

“Sure!” she squeaked enthusiastically.

Smiling at her, I walked past the bed onto the left side, further past the doorway. I pulled open my closet and dug around the inside. Finally reaching my prize, I pulled it out: An old acoustic guitar. I gave it a quick strum, surprised to hear it was relatively still in tune. It smelt of old wood and brought back a flood of memories of a youthful me strumming away on it in my spare time.

I sat down on the edge of the bed and looked at Tia.

“This is a guitar.”

I strummed a basic chord to show her how it sounded.

“Wow…” She said, astonished. “I thought onwy ponies could pway guitaw.”

“They have guitars in Equestria?” I said.

“Well, sure! They’ve got pianos and cewwos and hawps and aww sorts of neat stuff!”

I was surprised to hear this. Musical instruments like ours in Equestria? How did they play them? Magic, perhaps?

Regardless, I began playing more complicated, light notes, trying to coax her to sleep.

Sure enough, as I fleshed out a song, bright and soft and enlightening, like the sunrise, Tia’s eyes fluttered, eventually shutting. I heard her whisper “It’s beautiful…” as she drifted off to sleep.

I continued to play until she was sleeping peacefully, and I had a new tune. I was surprised by my own ability to play as well as I had, despite it having been quite a while since I picked up the guitar.

Regardless, I set the guitar aside, and kissed Celestia on the forehead, right under her horn.

Once I was back in the living room, I retrieved a pencil and a piece of paper. Trying to remember what I had just played, I jotted at the top of the page “Celestia’s Lullaby”.