• Published 11th Jun 2012
  • 13,096 Views, 311 Comments

Re-Arranged - ThatHandsomeDevil



A fanfiction in the same vein as My Little Dashie, but with a... Celestial twist. Not a carbon copy.

  • ...
17
 311
 13,096

Complications and Relocations

As my body slammed down on the ground, the air was emptied from my lungs, heaving out with a heavy sigh. My vision went incredibly blurry for a moment, and my ears buzzed, my head numbed with pain. Through the haze of pain, I made out a voice calling out; “Oh my goodness oh my goodness I’m so so so sorry! Are you okay? Oh please be okay!”

I sat up slowly, placing my hand on what appeared to be a cool wooden floor. I nearly jerked it away in shock. A wooden floor? Where the hell was I? Why was I-

My thoughts themselves were interrupted by a fresh pang of pain in my head. I didn’t get it. What was going on? Looking around my surroundings, I tried to use that to get some answers…

… Or at least, that’s what I would have done, were there not a lavender pony two inches from my face, inspecting me all over like some kind of test subject. She flinched slightly when I lurched away from her interrogative gaze, her feet clippa-clopping across the solid wood surface, the horn on her head shining with a purple glow, appearing as though she was ready to defend herself. I noticed her horn was about the same color as her coat, which must have meant that most, if not all, of the unicorn’s horns were like that. I’d always assumed Celestia was just white and her horn was white, like unicorns were always shown.

I quickly sat up and held my hands up in the air, showing her I wasn’t going to hurt her. She calmed down, nodded slowly, and resumed looking me over. While she was… busy… doing that, I took a chance to look at where at I was. Her house was cylindrical in shape, with shelves lining the walls, even the staircase that led up to what I could only assume to be the bedroom. The shelves were packed to the very brim with books of every shape, size, and color. Obviously this was a library, or the home of an avid book lover.

Everything in the house appeared to carved from wood, and there were two windows, one beside the door and one along the staircase. For some reason, their shades were completely drawn, blocking any sunlight. In the center of the room, there was a checkout desk of some sort, with a cart of books beside it. So it was a library.

I decided to try catching a better look at my gracious host. Her coat and horn were both a lavender color, and her eyes were purple, darker than Tia’s. Her hair was a navy blue tidal wave, curving up above past her shoulder and cresting past her forehead, with a stripe of pink on one side and purple on the other. She was a little taller than Celestia, but for some reason, her horn was shorter, at least from what I could see, and she didn’t have wings. Just a unicorn, then.

“Just a unicorn.” Obviously living with Tia had changed me more than just a little bit, hadn’t it?

“Umm… Hello?” I ventured, hoping to figure out where I was, or at least anything about this place.

She gasped, her eyes widening with surprise “It worked! It finally worked! You speak English!? Wow! I thought for sure I’d have to perform a translation spell or something! This is amazing! Maybe Earth really isn’t that different from Equestria after all… Say, what’s it like on Earth? Is there magic? Does everyone speak the same language? Ooooooh, I have so very many questions!” The pony was clearly enthusiastic. From what I could see, she looked like the kind of pony that loved research, given her expansive vocabulary and obvious love of examination.

“Who… Who are you? What am I doing here?” I asked, still sitting in the middle of the floor and holding my head.”

“Oh gosh, I’m so sorry! I haven’t even introduced myself, please forgive me. My name is Twilight Sparkle, and you’re in my house in Ponyville.”

“And why am I in your house, exactly?” I asked her, trying to work myself onto my feet.

“Because I need to speak to you. You personally. I know you have Celestia staying with you.”

I froze up for a moment. They weren’t on planning on hurting Tia, were they?

Obviously, Twilight could tell I wasn’t keen on her wording, and reassuringly said “Relax. We’re not after her. Well, not to harm her, anyhow. We need Celestia. And we need you too.

“I don’t understand…” I said, beginning to pace about the library, looking at the floor. “How did you even get me here, anyhow? I’m supposed to be asleep. Is this still a dream?”

“I can assure you it’s not a dream, and I can assure you that you are really in Ponyville.”

“Prove it.”

“The dreams you’ve been having about being pulled and yanked and falling through space? That was me, trying to pull your dreaming self through the worlds to bring you here for a while.”

“But Equestria is practically in another universe! How did you do it? You’re just a normal unicorn. I thought only alicorns had that kind of magic.”

Twilight smiled. “I see that Celestia has taught you plenty. It’s good to know you cared for her enough to remember. Yes, I am just a unicorn. However, I’ve dedicated my life to the study of magic, so I’ve become more adept than most at it. However, performing a spell to bring something back from Earth, especially someone human, is very, very difficult. Most ponies don’t even know Earth exists. However, you’re wrong about it being in another universe. Equestria is just outside of your solar system. As a matter of fact, a place in Ponyville, the Everfree Forest, is actually a piece of the Earth that hit here over 100,000 years ago. That’s the only reason we know it exists. It fused with the magic of the rest of this world, but it still retains its characteristics. Plants grow by themselves, the weather isn’t controlled, animals take care of themselves… The residents of Ponyville think it’s just an unnatural phenomenon, but I’ve read in my books all about what it really is. Still…. I’ve never met a human. The only things we had to go by were the things when that piece of earth crashed here. There were paintings of what people looked like, but they were much more… broad… Than you are. You look different tha-”

“Well, we evolved.” I said, smiling, knowing she had a point to make. I liked this pony. She was nice enough, and she seemed like she’d be easy to get on a tangent about any subject, which was a pretty adorable trait, if you thought about it.

“That still doesn’t explain how you got me here,” I said, still puzzled as to how she had pulled that little stunt off. As Twilight walked towards me, I could make out the slight scent of flowers in her mane and tail.

“Well, you see, you were having that dream for such a long time because in order for me to have the magic power to bring you here, you needed to have a very special connection with a powerful, powerful magical creature, someone like-“

“Someone like Celestia…” I said.

“Precisely. But now isn’t the time for that. Ponyville is in danger. Very very serious danger. Princess Luna has lost control of her own mind, and now, everything has potentially been thrust out of control. You see, she controls the moon, and like Princess Celestia controlled the sun and went mad with power, Luna is doing the same thing, but it’s much worse. Much much worse.”

“How much worse?”

“Have you ever wondered what Earth would be like without the sun? Crops wouldn’t grow, the balance of ecosystems would be thrown off… It’d be catastrophic!” Twilight said. “And if Princess Luna has her way, that's exactly what's going to happen!"

“So what does this have to do with me?” I asked Twilight, as she cantered away from where she was standing to go over and examine one of her many books.

“Those dreams that you were having lasted for so long because I couldn’t bring you over to our world until your bond with Celestia had strengthened enough for her to lend you some of her magical powers unintentionally. I finally had enough to pull the person in your dreams all the way here, it just took me a few tries. Something happened that night that made you bind with Celestia in a way that hadn’t happened up to that point.”

I paused, looking over at a shelf of books.

“I told her I loved her.”

“Oh… Oh my goodness! That’s wonderful news!” Twilight said.

“Huh? Why?” I asked, skeptical as to there being any kind of good news to come out of this.

“Love is a very powerful and mysterious thing, and still has the most latent magical ability in this world. Nopony has ever been able to figure out why, and I doubt they ever will. It’s an unexplainable thing. If you and Celestia share that kind of connection, it could be very helpful on our journey.”

“Journey?”

“Yes. Yourself, myself, and Celestia, are going after Luna, for when and if she puts her sinister plans into action. I’ve been her student for years, and I won’t let her be lost to the dark. We’ll be going to Canterlot, to the place where Tia herself once lived, and soon will again. I even lived there, once, but I moved to Ponyville hoping to learn more about friendship… and because they had a job opening as a stay-at-home librarian…” she said sheepishly, blushing as she surveyed her massive book collection.

I smiled at her “I can tell that you love books. I guess you looked up the spell to get me here that way?”

She nodded, trotting over to a desk that resembled a podium at the front of a church, parchment stacked high and a quill in an inkwell sitting next to it.

“Speaking of that, I need to document the success of my spell…” she said, her quill beginning to scratch along as she scribbled notes using her horn to delicately guide the quill.

“So… Celestia and I need to get here from Earth. How are we going to do that?” I asked her.

“I’m going to perform a spell on you that, if done right, will allow Celestia to read your mind, giving you all of the information she needs to cast the spell herself. Using the power of your two’s love as a catalyst, it should be enough to send you both here.”

“And that’s going to work, right?”

“Even if it doesn’t, we have time to prepare. Princess Luna still hasn’t succumbed to the darkness, but the sooner we get to her, the better.” Twilight responded.

“I guess that makes sense.” I said, continuing to simply watch her as she wrote out whatever it was she was writing.

“Of course it does! I’m the best organizer in Ponyville!” Twilight exclaimed proudly.

“But… One thing. Why did Luna become this corrupt? It’s only been 15 years since she banished Celestia.” I asked Twilight.

Twilight looked back at me, looking somewhat surprised.

“15 years? David… It’s been 1,000 years.”

I felt myself recoiling back, just from Twilight saying this simple thing. 1,000 years? How? That didn’t make any sense. 1,000 years… Even longer than it had taken man to discover America. Practically only two of those, and as long as we’d begun making dates in B.C and not A.D… How could it have been 1,000 years?

“I know it’s not easy to swallow, David, but it’s the truth. Time where you are and time where I am doesn’t work the same.”

“I noticed…” I said, still recovering from shock.

Twilight came over to me once again, looking up at me.

“Okay, David, I need you to kneel down. I’m going to cast that spell on you now.” I did as she asked, and she tilted her head, her horn touching my forehead and the scent of flowers floating past me again. I felt a strange tingling in the base of my skull, and then a sudden, electrical kind of shock. I gasped and jerked back, holding my head. All at once I suddenly remembered something I hadn’t before. But the words of the memory were scrambled… Jumbled… I didn’t know what they mean. I held my head, still pained by what had happened.

“Is something wrong, David?” Twilight asked, looking concerned.

“Oh… Ah… No, no, I’m fine. Just a little motion sick, I suppose.” I said to her, chuckling as I returned to my feet.

“Oh, good!” she said, smiling, and then turning back, suddenly looking back at the shades on her windows.

“Is it me, or is it a little dark in here? I closed the shades so nopony would see I had a HUMAN in my house, but since you’re about to leave…”

As she drew up the shade, moonlight graced its way through, shining on a spot on the floor. Twilight let out a gasp of shock, jumping away from the window.

“Oh no…” she said, trailing off and simply staring into space

“What’s wrong? You nocturnal or something?” I asked the frantic unicorn.

“No… no that’s not the problem…” she said.”

“Then what?”

She turned and looked at me, her face twisted with distress and fear.

“It was 3:36 in the afternoon when you got here, and the sun was out to stay.”.