• Published 10th Feb 2016
  • 1,366 Views, 68 Comments

Reality is Magic - ninjintonic



Thirteen years later after my reformation; The battle of the bands; and the Friendship Games, we realized that friendship is not all about apple pie life, candy in the sky, and having sweet desserts at Sugarcube Corner all the time.

  • ...
15
 68
 1,366

Scenario 8: The Melancholy of Me

OUT SKIRTS OF SWEET APPLE ACRES - 8:03 PM, SAME NIGHT










An hour had passed driving through the roads of Evertree Interstate. Countless of stars blazed through the wild dark blue yonder from Lyra and Pinkie Pie's window, various small ranch country homes came to an appearance on the side road, and an exit ramp to Sweet Apple Acres Village is within two miles. Pinkie Pie took a quick glance at her cell phone to see that there was still no text reply nor any calls from me. As Lyra spotted Pinkie glancing through her phone, she pulled hers out to check if she had any messages as well. None. Lyra dolefully looked at Pinkie's glossy eyes as she was gazing through the window in deep thoughts. Lyra wondered if there was anything else going through her head at the moment. Lyra, clinging to Pinkie's arms, initiated a word, "Pinkie... You okay?"

Pinkie in a low voice, "..Yeah.." She made a foggy window drawing of a balloon.

"..You sure?"

"..Yeah.. It's one of those nights."

Lyra knows what she's feeling, therefore didn't allow herself to ask anymore, instead, she clung onto Pinkie once again, and laid her head resting on Pinkie's left shoulder, gazing through the window together. This had caused public humiliation in the bus, but Lyra and Pinkie didn't care. Lyra in a calm voice, "Next time, we'll take the train..."

"Current stop, Sweet Apple Acres Village."

Lyra and Pinkie erected from their position of their seats after hearing the electronic voice announcement of their current stop. The bus began to slow down for an arrival.

It's a cool, breezy night in this laid-back rural village. The air smelled of fresh maple trees, grounds completely covered in green grass and trails of soiled path that led to every direction within the village. Just right beyond the bus stop, there were a couple of horse-wagons lined up. There's a man with a stetson who maintained these wagons that goes by the name of Braeburn. He owned them for the tourists when they needed a lift in to town, a very swell man. He spotted Pinkie and Lyra with an act of surprise.

"Ladies! Ah didn't expect you to be here at this time of the night, how ya'll doin', it's been too long!" He approached to them both, endowing a hug to Lyra, then Pinkie.

After Pinkie Pie delicately freed from Braeburn's hug, Pinkie dolefully replied, "Braeburn... Pleasant as we can be, as I wish to say for the night..."

Braeburn observed them both to sense the negativity and questioned, "Oh.. What's wrong?"

"It's Sunset..." Lyra in a low straight voice.

"Oh. Why, what happened to her? she seemed aw'right when ah had dropped her off at Granny Smith's; However, ah did reckon her answers were a little too vague for ma' taste."

Pinkie Pie asserted quickly in a standardized tone, "Take us there."

"Oh... Yeah of course.. Right away, com' on to ma' carriage."

Braeburn led them to a vacant wagon, and unlatched the door. "Hop on, con madres." With his bright smile in this time of the night.

"Thank you, Braeburn, you're so sweet." Lyra complimented.

"That is no problem, darlin'."

Feeling of nostalgia brought to them as they both clambered up to the wagon without a quiver. Both completely sat in the wagon, and Braeburn latching the door back securely. Lyra in a very low voice to Pinkie Pie, "Why you gotta be so aggressive to him..." Pinkie let out a dull sigh and shrugged.

Braeburn clambered to the front driver's seat of the wagon and sat down. He swung his body around slightly to check both of them for readiness, "Ya'll ok back there?"

"Yes." Lyra replied while peering at Pinkie Pie. She was still in a state of thought, with an absent expression on her face. Moments when Lyra had depended on Pinkie's arms and shoulders, this time, Pinkie depended on her's.

"Then lets go, yihawww.." Braeburn in a standard voice. Braeburn securely held on to the rope halters, and pulled to advance from their stationed state, their horse gradually galloped to the direction within the village.

After two minutes of Silence, Braeburn initiated, "Ah know it's not in ma' place to ask, but can ah tell ya'll something?"

"Go right on ahead, sweetie," Lyra in a pleasant tone.

"When ah drop ya'll off at Granny's, Ya'll should have a good, long talk with Sunset, when ah say long, ah mean appleloosan-long." Braeburn expressed on a serious note.

Lyra gandered at Braeburn with no response in words, but rather letting him continue talking.

"If ya'll don't have work tomorrow, ya'll should spend the night." Braeburn concluded.

"..Thank you.." Lyra replied expressionlessly.

"Ya'll feelin' up for a short story?"

"..Sure.."

Braeburn halted the horse-rope for a slight turn of the path. Granny Smith's farm house isn't that far up ahead.

"Once upon a time, there was a very rich man named Svengallop who had lived a content, apple pie life. He worked with his father who owned a big clothing company. He had an office of his own. He was his own boss, greedy and mean, and spoiled. As years passed by, his father died from a heart condition. Not long after that, he noticed that his business had started to decline very fast, was unsure whether the supply and demand was decreasing in numbers or there was a huge lack of commitment into the business. It was a mess. Not long after that, Svengallop faced a huge lawsuit and lost every little penny he's worth. He lost his wife, his home, and ended up living on the streets of HuManehattan. The only thing he ever had remaining in his diminishing life, was his loving dog that stood by him through all of his bad times, which soon died after. He was in a state of very bad depression. It was to the point that he wanted to take his own life.

One day, when he was lying down on the streets, he stumbled upon a homeless boy who was scavenging through the public trash.

What are you doing? Svengallop had asked.

Searching for food, Mister. I suggest you do the same, you're looking quite pale. The little boy had said as picking up a half-eaten sandwich from the trash, Here you go mister, you need it more than I do.

The man took the sandwich from him then ate it all in quick seconds and praised the little boy with a thank you. Svengallop said to the little boy, what about you?

Don't worry about me, I can always get more, I am not that hungry anyway. The boy answered.

Why are you so nice to me? Svengallop questioned.

When my mommy was still alive, she had always used to tell me that being nice and selfless is better than being mean and selfish. You should try it, it makes you feel good, and people appreciate the things you give them.

Svengallop was shocked at the little boy's words. He had taken the time to let it sink in and realized that he needed to do something with his life. He took baby steps. With every problem he faced during his crisis, he used it as a motivation to exceed, which he did. Five years passed, he became the CEO of three homeless shelters in different states, Griffonstone Shelter, and was yet to build a few more. The shelters provided warm clothing and good food for the homeless. He was interviewed by the news reporter, he says that building homeless shelters was the best thing he had ever done in his life. He was a changed man, very modest and humble, and of course, self-giving. Couple of years after that, Svengallop died with a heart condition, just like his father. Just when he reached his prime in his time, his life ended. But on the bright side, he died happy doing what he loved. Griffonstone Shelter that we know today is controlled by greedy, political hungry people, known as our government."

They finally arrived in front of Granny Smith's home, which appeared to be brightly lit by small lamp posts. Lyra and Pinkie remained seated in the wagon as both were still absorbed by the story that Braeburned had told.

"That's a sad story.." Lyra dolefully asserted.

".... Yeah thanks for that.." Pinkie added wanly.

Lyra glanced at Pinkie with a grimace and softly nudged her side with a loud whisper, "Pinkie, what's wrong with you?"

"It's ok, ah know you ladies had a long day."

Lyra grinned at Braeburn, "Yes, and I apologized for Pinkie's attitude for the night, she hasn't been cooperating with me neither." Lyla chuckled awkwardly, "Well Braeburn, you've been very accommodating and sweet to us, thank you again, and hope to see you tomorrow."

With Braeburn's bright grin, he tipped his stetson with a single, winking nod to both girls, "Good night ya'll."

Lyra clambered down cautiously from the wagon, and Pinkie Pie followed after, while Lyra holding her hand securely for safety.

Braeburn's wagon had left, leaving Lyra and Pinkie in front of Granny Smith's home. The gallops had decreasingly subsided in sound as the wagon gradually became smaller in sight.

Lyra and Pinkie slowly ascended the stairs to Granny's front porch. Lyra made three faint knocks as both approached the front door. An elderly voice and slow footsteps sounded behind it, "Just a minute!" The unlocking of a door latch had sounded behind the door, then it slowly creaked open allowing to show a fissure, Granny Smith's face appeared with a gentle grin as seeing both girls right outside her front doorstep, "Oh hey sugarcubes, com' on in."

Lyra in a low pleasant voice, "Thank You.."

Granny Smith boldly opened the door completely as an invitation for both girls to come in. Slowly entering Granny Smith's home, it led them straight to a spacious guest room that had a large lit fireplace with a large chair placed at the center, without a doubt, it kept visitors warm. There were large pictures of Apple Jack and Apple Bloom with their caps and gowns, and Big Mac with his business suit that were hung across the high polished-wooden wall. Also there were a couple of small photos of them altogether positioned vertically with easel backs upon the fireplace mantel. Right across the fireplace, Granny had a cross sectional sleeper sofa that extended to fit almost ten people.

"Lyra... You go on ahead, I'm just going to take a short rest..." Pinkie in a weak voice.

"What?" Lyra questioned.

Abruptly, Pinkie began to lose her balance. Her legs wobbled and Lyra swiftly caught her by her waist as they both fell on the wooden floor.

Lyra raised her voice, "Pinkie, wake up!"

Pinkie, in an unconscious state, her head rested on Lyra's lap, persistently trying to wake her by gently nudging her head.

Granny Smith, with her cane, crouched beside them and placed her palm on Pinkie's forehead, "Oh, my dear heavens, she's very warm. We must get her on the couch."

Lyra was spooked to Pinkie's condition, but carried on with Granny's command. Granny, with her elderly strength, she can only help Lyra to a degree. Little to nothing, they know they need every chance to get Pinkie on the sofa. Pinkie gained a little bit of momentum as Lyra and Granny ascended her body from the ground. In Pinkie's state, she was still unable to walk on her own, therefore they helped transfer her to the sofa.

"Sweetie, ah want you to get ma' wash cloth, a glass bowl with warm water, and thermometer in ma' kitchen cabinet right above the sink." Granny gently commanded.

Lyra hastily went to the kitchen, which took her a while to familiarize the area, then eventually grabbed the supplies that Granny had pleaded her to get. She poured warm water on a rather sizable glass bowl from the sink. She held the heavy bowl on her right hand while holding the other supplies on her left. She cautiously walked towards Granny and Pinkie without a quiver. Lyra sat the big bowl on the floor right beside Pinkie Pie, who is laying unconsciously on the sofa. She quickly handed her the thermometer and the wash cloth. Granny gently slipped the thermometer into Pinkie Pie's mouth, as the thermometer beeped, Granny slipped the thermometer back out to gaze at the temperature reading:

100.5 F

Granny quickly immersed the wash cloth into the warm glass bowl leaving it to soak, then wrung out the excess water, and softly rested the warm cloth on Pinkie's forehead. "Is she going to be ok?" Lyra questioned.

"She will be, let her rest. Oh sunny, can you do me another favor?"

"Of course." Lyra asserted.

"Be a dear and get me one of the folded blankets in the closet across the bathroom for our poor dear Pinkie here."

"On it."

Lyra, once again, scrutinized the place trying to remember where the closet was through all these years of absence. When she found the closet door, she pulled the bi-fold door knob to an open which revealed fresh, clean, well-folded blankets and towels that laid on the racks. She grabbed one blanket, pushed the bi-fold door knob back to a close, and walked back to Granny and Pinkie. Lyra proceeded on covering Pinkie's body with the blanket. Granny Smith pulled an old wooden rocking chair next to Pinkie Pie, which was kept in fair condition through all these years since Big Macintosh was still a baby, and carefully sat on it. Lyra sat on the edge of the sofa by Pinkie's waist side with an anguish look on her face. Lyra gently placed her palms on Pinkie's cheek, then moved a couple of strands of her hair to the side of her face with her fingers.

Lyra in a low voice while her eyes were set on Pinkie's unconscious state, "I should've known when she was acting kinda off when we were on the bus earlier."

"It's ok, sunny, it's a fever, we just have to let it run its course."

Lyra let out a sigh.

While both observing Pinkie, Granny broke the silence that filled between them, "Ah assume ya'll came for Sunset.." Granny presumed.

Lyra gave Granny a doleful look, "Yeah.."

"Well, she's not here."

Lyra widened her eyes faintly with a puzzled expression, "Where did she go?"

"She said she was going to be at Sweet Apple Pond Park for a bit, but that was an hour ago.."

"Granny, I gotta see her, do you mind staying here with Pinkie?"

"Of course, sunny, but don't you wanna grab a little snack before you go? ah had baked some apple strudels, ah reckon you girls must be hungry from all the traveling."

"Thanks, I don't have the appetite, but may be later."

"Ok sunny, be careful."

Lyra stood up from the edge of the sofa then headed to the direction of Granny's house door exit. Before she headed out, she took a final glance at Granny Smith, "Granny, Thank you for being there for tonight. I appreciate it so much."

"Don't mention it, we're like an apple family after all."

Lyra relinquished a smile, and headed out the door.

















SWEET APPLE POND PARK, SWEET APPLE ACRES VILLAGE - 10:31 PM, SAME NIGHT













Beautiful quiet night as expected in Sweet Apple Acres, Lyra arrived at the pond park which is dimly lit by the light of the moon. The pond gracefully streamed to the direction of the current, and the reflection of the moon was still visible on the water. The pond expanded throughout, therefore Lyra had to venture on a search for me. As Lyra had searched the park thoroughly, she finally saw me sitting on a rock dipping my bare feet on shallow water.

"Sunset?!"

I turned to the direction of the baffled voice with a straight face, "Lyra? What are you doing here?.."

"Sunset, we were looking for you, Pinkie and I were worried sick, just what were you thinking, huh?!"

"I don't know..."

"What do you mean you don't know?"

"..... You girls depended on me for years on end, I think it's finally safe to say that.... We have to be strong." I faced away from Lyra, and continued looking down while fiddling my toes on the streaming pond.

Lyra, perhaps in a puzzled mind, couldn't make out what I was trying to imply. But in her deep thoughts, the memories we shared together through all these years came rushing back to her in an instant, including the story that Braeburn had told them earlier. She now understands. Her nervousness had turned to a feeling of frustration, Lyra in a loud voice, "What... You're giving up now?! Thirteen years of my life hoping to find an answer for something, you're just going to abandon me and Pinkie? I thought we were friends, Sunset?!"

"Lyra..."

Lyra's eyes began to look glossy, "You are like them... It's all making sense now... You're going to leave us just like the rest who left you and Pinkie!"

When Lyra meant the rest, she meant Twilight and the rest of the HuMane Five.

"Are you going to follow their footsteps?!" Lyra approached to me with slight aggression as tears dropping down her face, "Were Pinkie and me the only strong ones here, while you were the weak one?"

I staggered back a reply, "I was there when you girls needed me!! I took care of you girls!! I gave you the care you girls needed!! So don't give me that bullshit!!"

Lyra shouted back louder, "I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT ME AND PINKIE, I'M TALKING ABOUT YOU, SUNSET!" She continued with a sniffle, "Why dedicate to something for thirteen years on one cause, and give up now?!!"

My irritable expression turned to something else. I stammered in words of an answer. Lyra continued, but with a standardized tone, "Through all these years, you think it was all about baby-sitting me and Pinkie Pie?? You're most definitely wrong!"

Lyra wiped the tears from her face, and continued with the tone, "Pinkie passed out in Granny's house with a fever worrying about you. Doesn't that count for something? We're here because we got each other, not because of the whole baby-sitting situation."

I shook my head with a faint expression, "I am sorry, Lyra..."

"No you're not." Lyra interrupted, "Sunset, ya know... There were times when you needed us too and we were there to your rescue, not because we thought you couldn't handle the life of your own, it's because we chose to help you." Lyra shook her head with arms folded and added again, "You let Trenderhoof get the best of you.."

Lyra turned to the direction from where she came, and made her exit from the park.

Lyra was right, and I was wrong. I was blinded from my own actions. I took care of them not for the purpose of love and friendship, it's because I had no confidence in them. Perhaps I was the weak one.

I let out a grin, and thought to myself, tomorrow will be a new day. I won't let any darkness manipulate the good in me. I will show Pinkie and Lyra what I'm capable of, and that is to be the best of friends for the right reason. I won't be pushed by my problems; be led by my dreams and goals.

Author's Note: