• Published 11th Jun 2012
  • 1,543 Views, 83 Comments

Internal Darkness - Silver Sorcerer



All the Magic, mystery, and murder a pony can ask for in the gleaming spires of Canterlot. Enjoy!

  • ...
10
 83
 1,543

Chapter 7

Disclaimer: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic and all associated characters, settings and stories are the rightful subjects of Hasbro, the HUB, Studio B, and Lauren Faust.

Chapter 7

Luna quietly returned from the balcony overlooking the main square in Canterlot with a grim face. Behind her stood thousands of crowded ponies all with faces of shock, sadness, and disbelief.

Shutting the doors behind her Luna gazed at her small group of friends: Magicon, Shining Armor, and Princess Cadance. All wore solemn faces, but all managed weak smiles toward Luna who sighed and lowered her head.

“That wasn’t easy.”

“We knew it wouldn’t be,” Shining Armor stated.

“They’re so shocked by this, your majesty,” Magicon added. “But somepony had to tell them and be strong. This isn’t easy for any of us.”

“None of them took it well.”

“None of us took it well either,” Shining Armor admitted. “We knew her better than anypony but she still had a connection to every single pony in Equestria.”

“At least you didn’t tell them the facts behind her death,” Magicon remarked. “Imagine how worse it would be if everypony discovered that Celestia did not die of natural causes.”

“I know, I know Gentlecolts,” Luna stated. “But I hate lying to my subjects. They are good ponies; they should know the truth. Lying is something Discord would do, not me and not my sister.”

“Sometimes it’s best that the public does not know the truth when it isn’t necessary. Celestia’s death is tragic enough; we don’t need to tell them the real story behind it,” Magicon declared.

Luna sighed and shook head while Cadance approached her and put a hoof around her.

“There, there auntie. Now I don’t like this at all but I have to agree that it’s needed to ease the burden. We are the rulers of Equestria and we have a responsibility to carry the heaviest loads of all so that everypony can have a peaceful and life worth living. You have done your duty and everypony thanks you and loves you for it.”

Luna felt warmth inside her heart and smiled sweetly at Cadance who wore the same expression.

“Thank you Cadance and thank you all.”

“You don’t need to thanks us, your highness,” Shining Armor said modestly as he slowly trotted up to her.

“Indeed,” added Magicon who now joined the group as well. “We’re here for each other and for Equestria.”

They all hugged each other in a tight embrace as they prepared for the uncertain future of Equestria. Nopony knew what would happen but they would have each other. There princess might be gone but one still remained determined to carry on Equestria for the betterment of all ponies. A lost princess, a new Equestria.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

The news spread even faster than wildfire. Luna was correct when she said the fallout would be tremendous for everypony was shocked by the news of Celestia’s sudden departure.

Nothing like this had ever happened before. Everypony had loved Princess Celestia and now they were all shocked and distressed by these recent events.

How could their beloved princess, their raiser of the sun, their light suddenly depart from Equestria? How could she leave them so quickly? She had been ruling Equestria for centuries, possibly even millenniums and now to leave, in a blink of an eye? It was incomprehensible. Yet, it had happened and a huge hole now lay in everypony’s heart and in Equestria.

Many gathered amongst their friends and family to mourn the loss of Celestia and contemplate how different would Equestria would be without her. Already the effects of her departure were disappearing: Luna had managed to successfully raise the sun after a full day of darkness, Magicon was still running Equestria alongside Luna with no difficulties, and peace remained. But the feelings of loss and despair could not be removed.

Life, which had been so pleasant, suddenly became a heavy burden. Death came when they least expected it and now everypony was suffering the consequences of it.

Luna had announced a national week would be held in honor of Princess Celestia and Equestria ceased all operations to mourn the princess. Everypony was encouraged to visit Canterlot where the princess lay in state.

Immediately ponies donned their best and saddest attire and made the long journey to Canterlot. Among them was a special group of six ponies whose relationship with the former princess had been indestructible.

Twilight Sparkle and her friends had been extremely close to Celestia and her death struck them like nothing before. When news of her death reached Ponyville, they rushed to Canterlot and soon met with the four Canterlot ponies. Despite the shared feelings of acquaintance at seeing each other again, nopony was feeling content with themselves about the recent events.

The six sat in a small bedroom, teary-eyed, looking up at Princess Luna who narrated the events of Celestia’s death. None of them were taking it well.

Pinkie Pie’s normally fluffy hair fell into its straight form as she shed cascades of tears. Rainbow Dash attempted a futile effort to hold back her tears while Applejack put a hoof around her and consoled her. AJ was upset herself, but she had experienced death before and knew how to handle this, to an extent. Fluttershy curled up in a corner and buried her face in her hooves as her barely audible cries joined the others. Rarity already donned an elaborate mourning dress that she designed herself and pulled out a hoofkerchief to blot the tears from her face.

As for Twilight, Celestia’s most gifted and faithful student, she was what could be best described, in a state of desperation. Overcome with simultaneous feelings of grief, shock, horror, disbelief, regret, and countless others, her head whirled as she attempted to understand what had happened, deal with these emotions, and attempt to remain composed for her friends. It wasn’t working.

As Luna continued her narrative Twilight felt herself edging closer to a breaking point, a point of no return. When Luna reached the part about the discovery of the corpse, Twilight was pushed over the edge. She exploded yelling, screaming, bawling, and ranting in an endless tirade of emotions. Everypony attempted to console her; none succeeded. Twilight was beyond help at this point. Just the mere thought of Celestia no longer being around drove her mad.

Celestia had not just been a mentor to Twilight; she was a personal friend. The one pony who understood her mind and her magical abilities. The one pony who showed her how to use magic and control it. The one pony who showed her the true meaning of friendship. The one pony who had changed her life in countless ways. Now that one pony was gone forever and nothing could change that.

There was no spell the ward away these emotions. There was no teacher to ask for advice. There was no light for her. There was only one thing she could do: run.

So, she did. She ran. She ran from her friends, from her brother, from Canterlot. She just ran. The destination didn’t matter; what mattered was Celestia.

“She’s alive! I know it!” Twilight shouted to herself as she ran, vision obscured by tears. “She’s just waiting. Yes! That’s it! She’s just waiting. Oh, but what is she waiting for? She would have laid everything out: messages, plans, something to guide us. She always had a plan; she always knew what to do; she was the light of Equestria! CELESTIA!”

Life had been so simple and painless. There was little to be upset about. Death sounded like an unimaginable event. It couldn’t happen to her. Celestia was eternal and indestructible, but her death shattered that and Twilight didn’t even know the specifics of it. But she didn’t want to know; she didn’t want to hear it anymore. Celestia was alive, she just had to be. She just had to be…

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

“How did she die, exactly?” Fluttershy quietly asked.

Luna had finished her narrative with the group of five. Twilight’s sudden departure worried her friends, but Luna assured them that Twilight would be ok; she needed to sort this out on her own.

“Like, I said before: from natural causes,” responded Luna.

“But that’s such a generalized term, your majesty,” objected Rarity. “Surely you can afford to be more specific and give us the details.”

“No, I really can’t.”

“Why?” asked Pinkie Pie.

“Because it’s for the best.”

“That’s a load of bullshit and ya’ know it,” Applejack scolded, causing everypony to gasp.

“What your tongue Applejack,” reprimanded Luna. “Scolding me won’t change my position.”

“It would be better though if you told us what happened that night,” reminded Rainbow Dash.

“But, I really shouldn’t.”

“Your majesty, as difficult as it may be for you to tell it us, think of the good that can come from it. We can help you and help Equestria if the truth is known,” Rarity remarked.

“No! I’ve had enough of this! Retire to your rooms at once! Her death is tragic enough and now you ask me to relive it? No, I can’t bear that and I won’t bear that! Be gone!”

Luna ran off tears clouding her vision as she ran back to her room. Flinging herself onto her bed she wailed at the loss of her sister.

“I should never have told them. I can’t handle this! Oh Tia. Sweet, sweet Tia. I miss you. Why did you have to go? Why did you have to be so generous? Why…why…”

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

“Your majesty, I beg you to reconsider,” Shining Armor pleaded.

The four of them were seated in Luna’s private study. Luna had spent the afternoon locked in her room and only emerged in the comfort of her friends. The funeral was to begin tomorrow and they wanted to go over final preparations before the miserable day arrived. But the topic quickly shifted to Twilight and her friend’s arrival and Luna’s depression over Celestia’s death.

“These six are the bearers of the Elements of Harmony, the peace-keepers of Equestria. They need to know the truth.”

“I object to Shining Armor’s opinion, princess,” Magicon commented. “Though they may be the Elements of Harmony, they have their own lives to worry about and do not need to be brought into this.”

"But their focus is on helping Equestria,” Cadance reminded. “Their hearts are in the right place.”

“But their heads aren’t,” rebutted Magicon. “We’ve already seen Twilight flee everypony. Who knows where she is right now?”

“I do,” Shining Armor flatly stated. “You don’t think I would let my sister, one of the most powerful unicorns in all of Equestria, get away that easily, do you?”

“I…uh…well then, I didn’t-“

“Oh course you didn’t. Magicon, you think that keeping secrets is a good thing, but it only creates tension and mistrust between ponies.”

“You very well know why we’re keeping her death a secret. And don’t forget that it was you who agreed that we shouldn’t tell everypony what happened that night.”

“That was different. That was because telling everypony would have caused mass hysteria. My sister and her friends are different. Equestria has changed and they have a new place in it.”

"And what place is that, I wonder?”

“I don’t know, but whatever it is we should be helping the six, not hindering them.”

“We’re not hindering them, by keeping it a secret. We’re trying to ease their burden so we can return to a normal Equestria.”

“Why does that sound like a cover-up to me?”

Magicon stopped dead, his face flushing to a ghostly pale. He didn’t say anything; he didn’t even move.

"Did Shining Armor discover the real truth and, if so how? If he did, then why hasn’t he arrested me? Does Cadance know? Does Luna know? Oh buck, this isn’t going well…I need to go, check on everything. My work isn’t finished! I must finish what I was set out to do! I must-Magicon…Magicon…”

“Magicon!” yelled Luna who perplexedly looked at Magicon.

“Oh…was I…talking to…myself again?” Magicon asked, still searching for words.

“Yes, and…wait, did you say 'again'?” asked Luna. “You mean this has happened before?”

“I…uh…would rather not talk about it,” Magicon quietly said.

Luna gazed at Magicon with suspicion and decided to brush the issue aside, “Just don’t let it interfere in your duties.”

“Yes, your majesty,” said Magicon with thankfulness in his voice. He was getting away with it, and now would be the perfect time to check on the book, his plans, and Shining Armor. He knew something, that much as clear in Magicon’s mind. But what or how much had to be determined.

“If you don’t mind, your majesty,” Magicon asked in his most polite and sincere voice, “May I depart your presence and retire to my chamber for the day?”

“In just a minute, Magicon.”

Turning to Cadance, Luna asked, “What should I do Cadance? Should I tell them?”

“I think you know that I stand with my husband on this and not just because of my relationship with Twilight and her friends. Honesty must prevail if we are to have an Equestria for the better.”

Magicon grumbled under his breath and turned away from them, glaring at the floor.

Luna nodded, “Very well. I thank you all for your advice and concern and you are dismissed. I will mull over the decision tonight and let you know sometime tomorrow. Good-day everypony.”

They left Luna and as they departed, Magicon glanced at Shining Armor suspiciously who returned the same glance before Cadance nudged him and his attention focused to her. She also glanced back at Magicon with a gentle smile which Magicon returned, eyes still on Shining Armor. There was tension in the air; a tension that hadn’t existed before.

Shining Armor and Magicon had their disagreements and fights but they always managed to apologize and work together. But this time something felt different. Suspicions were being aroused on both sides and a small wedge of mistrust had formed between them. Whether the actual truth could be found was unknown, but the fact remained that Shining Armor and Magicon were not on the best terms with each other.

Turning away from the couple, Magicon silently trotted back to his lonesome chamber, his cape elegantly catching the air behind him all the way to his room.

Entering his chamber Magicon let out a sigh of relief and flopped onto the bed. It wasn’t in his nature to act or feel lazy but the lethargic feelings just felt right. Still, his suspicions about Shining Armor remained. What did he know and how did he know it were puzzling questions that demanded answers. Answers that Magicon was determined to find.
Summoning reserved energy Magicon shut the windows and once again began his magical rituals. The ancient book bore no signs of disturbance nor did any other magical item in his room. The room looked exactly the way he had left it, but the paranoia was beginning to worry Magicon.

He spent the entire night in his barely lit room conjuring spells, checking over his instructions, and keeping an eye on Shining Armor and what he might knew. Despite spying on Shining Armor with his spell and reviewing the history of recent of events over and over again, Magicon could find no evidence that suggested that Shining Armor knew the real truth on that fateful night. Still, Magicon wasn’t satisfied.

He began talking to himself again, this time at his normal voice level, “Ugh…nothing. There is not a speck of evidence that suggests he knows anything more than any other pony. But my near failure in Luna’s study might make him suspicious and I can’t afford that. If he starts asking questions and begins an investigation, who knows where I’ll end up. I covered my tracks, I know that, but that still doesn’t mean I’m foolproof.

“I don’t want to hurt Shining Armor, but if he starts asking questions I might just have to. But for now, events must run their own course. I just hope by doing this, I’m giving myself the best protection possible. The funeral begins tomorrow and my plans for Luna must be set in motion. Judging by her tiredness and bloodshot eyes she has been crying a lot. Perfect. I wouldn’t expect anything less. The strain is becoming too much. She can’t handle the burden of Celestia’s death, raising the sun and moon, and ruling Equestria single-hoofidly. All the better and easier for me.”

He laughed at himself. This was going to be too easy. All too easy.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

The day was cloudy, damp, and miserable. The rain lightly fell like a gentle but persistent tap on the land. The day was slow in passing and the sun was not seen, masked behind the gray melancholy clouds. Equestria was in a state of mourning. Mourning for themselves, each other and for their beloved Princess Celestia who had been taken from them all too soon.

They came from far and wide to pay their respects to the princess. The Royal Palace’s sparkling gold’s and silver’s were replaced with gloomy black tapestries and decorations. Life ceased as if the flowers and trees knew what had happened. Ponies, dressed in black, lined up in an endless line leading into the throne room with one goal in mind: pay their respects to Princess Celestia who lied in state.

She lay inside a large coffin draped with the Equestrian flag in the center of the throne room. Royal Guards surrounded her but did so in a method that allowed everypony to see the coffin and pay their respects. The large glass windows were hidden behind hefty black curtains that blocked all light. Candles hovered over the room giving it a mystical aurora. Overall, the scene was one of great sadness and mourning.

Seated at her throne was a tired Princess Luna with Magicon, Shining Armor, and Princess Cadance standing beside her. Magicon wore his cape and hung his head low, avoiding eye contact with anypony. Shining Armor was in full military uniform and watched over the procession with an emotionless face while Cadance wore a tragically beautiful black mourning dress. Out of the four, she looked the worse. Her eyes were bloodshot and her quiet sobs filled the room with the only audible sounds.

Only they knew the real truth. Only they knew how worse Celestia’s fate had really been. Only they knew everything and yet unanswered questions remained. Where was Red-Blood? Why was Luna allowed to live that night? What was next for them and for Equestria? Many questions remained and answers were few. Everything was based on guesswork and assumptions. Troubled and dark times fell upon Equestria like a heavy suit that refused to budge.

The four contemplated these questions while watching the procession of silent and single-filed ponies enter the room, circle the princess’s coffin, and depart. All were dressed in black or gray and many wore hats and veils to cover their faces. Many of the mares were visibly upset while the stallions attempted to remain strong and console the mares, only for them to shed tears. Everypony felt a special connection to her and all the wonderful things she did for Equestria. Letting go was not easy for any of them.

Twilight’s friends were still struggling to accept her death and Twilight’s flee from Canterlot. She had not returned and they were worried about her. Even though Shining Armor’s guards were trailing her, her friends still wanted to talk to her and hopefully help her.

They were about to leave when Shining Armor galloped up behind them.

“I’m coming with you,”he stated.

“Um…excuse me?” questioned Rainbow Dash.

“You heard me. I’m coming with you. She’s my sister and we’ve been close since our foalhoods. I love her and I’m not letting her get away so easily from me like I did when she moved to Ponyville, no offense.”

“None taken, I guess,” responded Fluttershy.

“Do ya’ think it’s a good idea for this many of us here ponies ta be heading out after one, even if she is our best friend?” asked Applejack.

“Oh Applejack, darling, you make it sound like she’ll have a heart attack when we see her,” Rarity replied.

“Well, considerin’ the emotional state she’s probably in she may only want ta talk ta one pony rather than all five, well Ah guess six now.”

“We should just throw her a party to cheer her up? Duh! A party always cheers everypony up!” Pinkie Pie announced.

“Pinkie, I don’t think a party is what Twilight needs right now,” Rainbow Dash commented. “What she needs is a good talking to. We need to tell her we’re not leaving her; we’re her friends and family and we love her. Well, we love her like a friend, I mean.”

She said that with red cheeks, trying to avoid any suspicious glares her friends might make at her.

“Don’t make me smack a filly, Dashie,” Applejack teased with subtle wink as Rainbow turned bright crimson.

“Girls, this isn’t the time for such nonsense,” Shining Armor interjected. “We’re going to find Twilight, talk to her, and get her back to her old self. Celestia may be gone but our Twilight doesn’t have to be.”

The girls nodded and Rarity stated, “Well, we won’t find Twilight by standing here and gawking. We better get going.”

So they left. Left somber Canterlot, left saddened Princess Luna, and left the old memories of Princess Celestia behind as they headed forward to find and help their friend.