• Published 11th Jun 2012
  • 1,543 Views, 83 Comments

Internal Darkness - Silver Sorcerer



All the Magic, mystery, and murder a pony can ask for in the gleaming spires of Canterlot. Enjoy!

  • ...
10
 83
 1,543

Chapter 5

Disclaimer: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic and all associated characters, settings and stories are the rightful subjects of Hasbro, the HUB, Studio B, and Lauren Faust.

Chapter 5

Princess Celestia failed to get much sleep that night. She had worked until the early hours of the morning and only managed to retire for two hours before her solar duties called. Walking to the balcony of the tallest tower, she closed her eyes savoring the last minutes of Luna’s peaceful and majestic night before she opened them again, faced the eastern horizon, and with the soft golden glow of her horn she began the process of raising the sun.

It was a slow and delicate process; one that needed her full concentration. The sun was not an easy object to lift above the horizon. The ball of fire had no real boundary and was difficult to actually capture, much less move. But Celestia had a solar cutie mark for a reason; she was gifted with the power to move the sun and raise it so its light and warm could shine all over Equestria. Today was a special day as well for the sun would not only have to rise like normal but would have to move closer to Equestria to signal the start of spring and summer. Though spring didn’t start until tomorrow, the sun still had to be prepared for its final push into spring.

Celestia loved spring and summer. The long days were what she craved for and the fantastic colors of Equestria radiated out for all to see. Autumn and winter had their moments of beauty but once the cold set in it became unpleasant for Celestia. The warmth of spring and summer would soothe her and bring a gleeful smile to her face. Thinking about it now brought on the same smile as she pulled the sun closer to Equestria.

She felt the flames respond to her as she delicately pulled it closer to the land making sure it landed in the correct spot so early spring could begin and Winter Wrap-Up would be successful for everypony. Finding the correct position Celestia gently let the sun go and slowly brought it above the horizon bathing Equestria in the yellows, pinks, and purples that was the early morning.

Finally allowing the sun its independence to move across the sky, Celestia opened her eyes and gazed out at the Equestria she so loved. The early morning fog could be seen surrounding the mountains while the valleys slowly flooded with the rays of sunlight. Equestria was beautiful this time of morning and Celestia relished in its pure beauty. She may not have created the land she called her Kingdom, but she loved it with all her heart.

Her tiredness escaped her as she enjoyed the beauty and with a happy smile, she went to the dining room to have a large breakfast before Winter Wrap-Up commenced.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Princess Luna grumbled herself as she woke to an obnoxious alarm clock. Turning over to shut it off, she continued to grumble to herself about being woken during the day. She had been unable to get sufficient sleep for the past two days since Celestia was back-logged and needed her assistance. She wasn’t was mad or annoyed be her sister’s request; she just didn’t expect it to require so much of her time and energy. The night shift was a much lighter one and allowed her to actually enjoy her work with the moon and the night. Celestia, on the other hoof, was so busy that she barely had time to breathe much less enjoy her creation of the day.

Throwing the covers off her, Luna slowly moved herself out of the bed and looked out over her balcony at the sunrise. It was a beautiful sunrise and Luna knew that Celestia had moved the sun closer to Equestria to bring the warmth of spring and eventually summer. Luna sighed, she would rather have it be autumn or winter where the nights would grow longer and the weather cooler but the natural cycle of the sun, moon, and earth relied on balance and Luna had to obey it.

She had already once threatened to throw the balance of Equestria off and paid a heavy price for it, but she had redeemed herself of her night-marish self and was now widely respected and appreciated by everypony in Equestria. She may not be as warm or as affectionate toward her subjects as Celestia was but she loved them just the same. While Celestia’s love was the sweet unbridled love of joy, Luna’s was the warm and collected type that came with understanding and true compassion. The kind of unconditional love that comes with time and patience.

She chuckled at the comparison that Pinkie Pie had once made of the two princesses. According to Pinkie, Celestia was a sugar-coated lollipop while Luna was a luscious crème brûlée. She had grown closer to Twilight Sparkle and her friends and had grown used to modern Equestrian life. So much so in fact that she was able to drop the “Royal-We” completely and speak with modern language, though occasional slip-ups happened much to her embarrassment.

Realizing that she was dawdling she rubbed her eyes, rose from her bed, brushed her mane, and left her chamber to join her sister and other advisors for breakfast. She hardly noticed the protection spell around her room as she silently passed through it. Normally, since she was this tired she would have slept through breakfast and everything altogether but today was Winter Wrap-Up and though she had caught up on everything last night, something could always go wrong today and with the threat of Red-Blood, she just couldn’t ignore the day.

Arriving in the dining hall she saw the servants just laying out breakfast and saw her sister, Magicon, Shining Armor, Cadance, and a few other advisors all sitting around. They all stood and bowed to her as she trotted in and took her place beside her sister.

“Good morning, everypony,” Princess Luna remarked. A jumble of “good mornings” replies came from the various ponies.

Noticing how tired her sister looked, Celestia asked, “How are you feeling today, Princess Luna?”

“I’m alright. The sooner Winter Wrap-Up finishes the better.” She began eating the breakfast before her while the other ponies did the same.

Looking to Shining Armor, Celestia asked, “Are all the err…preparations ready Shining Armor?”

“Yes, your highness. Everything is set for today and you and Princess Luna will be safe and still be able to carry out your necessary duties.”

By now everypony in the Royal Palace knew a threat had been made against the Princesses thanks to a few slips of tongue from the Royal Guards much to the annoyance of Shining Armor.

Looking towards Magicon Celestia asked, “Are you going to be busy with the functions of the state today even though it’s a national holiday?”

Magicon chuckled, “I hardly consider it a national holiday when everypony is expected to help in cleaning up winter. But yes, though the banks and other businesses will be closed, Equestria does not stop so I will be occupied.”

“Good and may I ask why are you wearing that cape?”

Magicon blushed at the mention of it, “Oh, this old thing? Well when one is ruling Equestria one has to look their best, especially on a day like today.”

Celestia puzzled for a moment, but shrugged and dropped the issue thinking nothing more of it. Turning to Princess Cadance she asked, “Princess Cadance, what are you exactly planning to do for the day?”

“I was planning on helping Princess Luna with the clean up efforts and deal with the weather pegasi.”

Celestia smiled, “Very good Cadance. Well, it looks like everypony will be busy and so will I, so we better eat up before we head out.”

With those final words everypony began enjoying their breakfasts and discussed various topics though everypony kept glancing over at the two princesses either out of concern for their safety or their health.

When everypony had excused themselves to tend to their duties Celestia asked Luna to remain behind.

“What’s wrong Tia?”

“Did you feel it last night?” Her smile had evaporated into a face of concern.

“Feel what?”

“That magical disturbance. Somepony was conjuring a lot of magic last night and it was really strong suggesting that it was cast close to us.”

“And you think Red-Blood cast it?”

Celestia nodded. “It’s only logical to think so. Judging from the intensity of the cast, he was doing something and it was close to the Royal Palace.”

“This only confirms that Red-Blood is here in Canterlot.” Luna was growing worried.

“Unfortunately so. Be on your guard Luna. If anything should happen, flee Canterlot.”

“What about you Tia?”

Celestia paused; her voice low. “I will stay and fight him.”

“No Tia! You can’t!”

“And what if I don’t? Red-Blood will hold Canterlot hostage and terrorize the city until we give in. Innocent blood will be on our hoofs if I refuse to fight him.”

“Tia…why don’t I stay and fight?”

“You’re much too tired Luna. Plus, I need someone to rule Equestria should I fall. And if I do fall, I will take Red-Blood with me so you can rule in peace.”

Tears were forming in Luna’s eyes, “Tia…Don’t say things like that. We’ve always been close and we’ve always done things together. We can defeat him if I stay with you.”

Celestia shook her head, “No Luna. My mind is made up. Red-Blood will be coming for both of us but I’m certain he would rather have me than you. That will allow you to escape and rule Equestria, just like you always wanted.”

“I always wanted to rule alongside you Tia, and I was foolish enough to fall to bitterness which transformed me into Nightmare Moon. And-”

Celestia put her hoof to Luna’s lips. “Now is not the time for reminiscing and regrets. We both have a job to do right now and I need you to be strong. We’ve done everything we can possibly do to guard against Red-Blood. Now all that remains is for him to make his move. Be safe Luna.”

“You too Tia. I love you.”

“I love you too Luna.”

“Always sisters.”

“Beyond the sun, moon, and earth.”
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

The sun peaked through the gray clouds as everypony in Canterlot began the task of cleaning up winter. All the stores were closed and most of the city was shut down as everypony was occupied with snow removal, restocking gardens, and beautifying the city. Despite the busyness of the city, the ponies remained calm and delicate in their work. There was no panic, no rush, and no chaos as everypony took their time to clean up the remnants of winter.

Though Canterlot was mostly a city of elite unicorns, they obeyed the traditions of Winter Wrap-Up by refusing to use magic. In addition, they had stripped themselves of their formal attire in favor of casual collared shirts and gardening skirts. Though some grumbled about the work, every unicorn knew that Canterlot had an image to keep and present to all of Equestria as a stunningly beautiful city and they were willing to work hard for one day to achieve it.

To clear the sky, pegasi from the surrounding countryside and the few in the city had the task of clearing the sky to allow Celestia’s sun to shine through. Princesses Celestia and Cadance joined them in moving the clouds and enjoyed the growing presence of the sun as it continued its slow crossing of the sky. Both were still worried about Red-Blood and kept their eyes on each other and Luna just being extra cautious for their kind.

Princess Luna remained on the ground motivating unicorns and assisting them when she could. She was also excellent for getting grumblers and slow workers to speed up and contribute more to the clean up efforts. Still, she kept her guard up which put her on edge worrying the unicorns around her. She tried to calm herself but the fear of Red-Blood and his attack still scared her greatly. It was like he was watching her every move, just waiting to strike.

From his guard tower Shining Armor kept a close eye on the princesses as his royal guards continued searching for Red-Blood. The extra guard presence was still bothersome to the unicorns, but Shining Armor could do nothing about it until the day was over. He would treat himself to a wonderful evening with Cadance tonight knowing that princesses would be safe from Red-Blood.

As for Magicon, he remained in the throne room attending to the needs of the government and Equestria at-large. From his position he received reports on Winter Wrap-Up efforts from across Equestria, all of which were on or close to schedule. So far, the day had been uneventful for him and he was saddened by his lack of participation in the efforts to clean up winter and protect the princesses.

‘I wish there was more I could do so Winter Wrap-Up could end sooner. The sooner it does end, the sooner the princesses can return here where they will be safe.’

The day continued forward at a steady pace as the traces of winter disappeared while no trace of Red-Blood had been found. Shining Armor was growing more hopeful, but still remained cautious. The letter said that Red-Blood would strike at the end of the day so he waited with some worry for the evening to come and for Winter Wrap-Up to end.

Flying down to the guard tower, Celestia asked Shining Armor for any news.

“Nothing so far, your majesty. My guards have reported nothing out of the ordinary and from the looks of it, Winter Wrap-Up will be finished before sunset.”

Celestia nodded, “It certainly looks that way, but keep to your duty. It’s not over yet.”

“Yes Princess Celestia,” responded Shining as Celestia flew back to the sky to clear the last remaining clouds.

On the ground Princess Luna issued orders at unicorns growing visibly tired. Her voice was cracking and her legs were beginning to fail her, but she would not let them to get to her. Quickly shaking her head and blinking, she looked around to see the work of the unicorns slowing down.

“Ponies!” she yelled, “Now is not the time for slow work. Be diligent and finish Winter Wrap-Up!”

A female unicorn walked up to Luna, “Beg pardon princess, but Winter Wrap-Up is finished. We’re just completing the last of the final tasks.”

Visibly embarrassed, Luna stumbled over her words, “Oh…well…then…uh…good job. Yes, good job indeed my fellow unicorns.” She turned away from them and decided to head back to the palace. If the unicorns were finished then Winter Wrap-Up was finished as well. She could retire to her room, raise the moon, and ignore her courtly duties for one night. She really needed sleep.

Arriving in the throne room, Princess Luna was somewhat surprised to find it empty except for Magicon who sat next to the thrones of the two princesses. He looked at her with a gentile smile oh his face.

“I assume you’re finished for the day.”

“Indeed…I am.”

“You sound so tired. Why don’t you go rest?”

“I would love to. But, the sun will be setting soon and the moon will need raising,” gesturing her hoof out the window to the sun which was now nearing the horizon.

“Very well, then at least return to your chamber and try to relax. The shields are still up and no intruders entered the palace so you’re safe.”

“Thank you, Magicon.” Luna smiled as she slowly trotted down the hallway towards her bedroom.

Looking back out at the sun, Magicon noticed Shining Armor, and Princesses Celestia and Cadance returning to the throne room.

With a cheery smile, he welcomed them back from a long day of hard work and brought them forward in front of the royal thrones. “I’m so glad to see you all safe.”

“We’re not safe yet until the day is over,” warned Shining Armor. “Did Princess Luna enter the palace recently?”

“Yes, just a few moments ago. She was very tired so she went back to her room for a little rest.”

Shining Armor nodded, knowing with Princess safely behind his shield, Red-Blood could do no damage to her.

“Well now, I think today has been just lovely,” Cadance sweetly stated. “Canterlot looks beautiful as ever and I enjoyed working with the pegasi and Princess Celestia.”

“I’m glad you did,” responded Celestia. “I did too and now I would like to-“

Celestia’s voice was cut – off by the loud bang of the doors to the throne room being blasted open. In the doorway stood one lone pony, wearing the black hood, vest, and torn cape of Red-Blood. His eyes weren’t the merciless yellow eyes of Red-Blood, but a deep orange. His cutie mark was not the pentagram of Red-Blood, but rather an open blue circle with two crisscrossing lines. His mane was a cream color that badly matched his gray coat. He bore no scares that Red-Blood had. Overall, he looked nothing like Red-Blood and more like a desperate half-insane pony.

The guards lining the wall rushed forward and surrounded the pony their weapons pointing directly at him as Shining Armor jumped in front of Celestia. His voice was loud and unyielding, “State your business stranger!”

The pony did not speak but moved two hoofs forward, his eyes fixed on Princess Celestia who remained motionless.

“I demand that you state your purpose here!”

The pony’s eyes looked at the guards before him and chuckled to himself, “This many guards to one pony is hardly fair.” His voice was raspy and dry, like a dehydrated pony.

“I do not care what is fair or not,” Shining Armor stated as he moved closer toward the pony. “Your appearance and nature are the exact reason I have these guards here to stop you. You will not harm Princess Celestia or Luna today nor anytime in the future.”

The strange pony merely laughed and looked at Shining Armor who was now standing before him. “You think a few royal guards will stop me? You are more foolish than I thought.”

“I’m warning you, turn around right now and we will spare your life.”

“You do not hold my life in your hooves and you will not stop me from completing my master’s duty!” He suddenly teleported surprising the guards, but unfazed Shining Armor.

“Find him!” he ordered as the guards began to disperse to search for the strange pony. They didn’t look far as the strange pony reappeared in the center of the throne room and charged at Celestia his horn glowing.

“Fire at will!” ordered Shining Armor as the unicorn guards began casting spells at the pony while the pegasi guards flew into the air attempting to catch him. Cadance screamed and hid behind the thrones as Magicon quickly jumped in front of Celestia his horn glowing.

“You will not harm Princess Celestia!” he yelled as he cast his spell directly at the pony who managed to teleport just before the spell hit him.

“Coward!” Come out and fight!” Shining Armor yelled.

The pony reappeared right behind Princess Celestia who screamed and jumped into the air before the pony could lay a hoof on her.

Magicon jumped away from the intruder and tumbled down the steps as the Royal Guards and Shining Armor once again charged at the pony. Glancing at the Princess he got up and motioned for her to follow him.

“I can fight him, you know.” Celestia stated as she and Magicon galloped down the hall away from the fight.

“I know you can, but your safety is the most important concern of ours now.”

“I’ve faced worse enemies than a deranged pony who isn’t even Red-Blood himself.”

“I know, but you’re tired and Red-Blood has been messing with your mind. You’re scared Celestia and you know what happens if you fight in fear and exhaustion.”

Celestia nodded and looked back at the fight and turned down a hallway of the palace.

“Where are we going?” yelled Magicon chasing after her. “Your room is the other way!”

“We’re not going to my room,” Celestia proclaimed. “We’re going to my study.”

“Your study? Why?”

“Because Red-Blood is waiting for me there.”

Magicon stopped dead in his hoofs. “WHAT!”

Celestia stopped and turned around and walked up to Magicon. Her face was determined, her gaze unyielding. Magicon for once, felt a twinge of fear as she gazed upon him.

“That pony in the throne room is a decoy. Red-Blood would not be so foolish to fight against Royal Guards by himself. He is waiting for me in the one place where he can get in and out without a problem.”

A wave of realization crashed against Magicon as he understood what she was doing. “Are you sure you don’t want me there with you?”

“I’m sure. This is something I must do alone. Go back to the throne room and capture the decoy.” With those final words she spread her wings and flew down the hall towards her study leaving Magicon standing alone, dumbfounded.

Realizing he had a task to do, he galloped back to the throne room. Upon arriving he found everything had quieted down. The room was undamaged and all the guards were standing around gazing at the dead pony in the center of the room. Cadance had left her hiding place and was also gazing at the pony. Shining Armor was circling the room when he noticed Magicon and ran up to him.

“The princess! Where is she?” his voice was edgy and completely worried.

“She’s safe, Shining. Calm down. She went back to her chamber. I see you defeated the strange pony, coagulations.”

“No time for that now Magicon! The princesses are still in danger! Guards, come with me. We have two princesses to check on.” He charged down the hall with Royal Guards following him leaving behind Cadance and Magicon.

“I better go with them. Will you be ok, Cadance?”

She simply nodded and sat down looking at the dead pony.

Magicon left her and ran, not towards the bedrooms, but rather to Celestia’s study. The sun was setting meaning that Luna was outside raising the moon which would delay Shining Armor and his guards. Halfway down the hall, he teleported himself into his room, grabbed the item he conjured last night and teleported into Celestia’s study.

The room itself was a small, circular one decorated with carpets and mahogany bookshelves. A few tables and chairs were scattered about the room and various scientific and magical instruments were on the floor at the base of the bookshelves. A fireplace was slowly crackling giving the room a calm and inviting feeling. A large window was at one end of the room letting in the final rays of sunshine fall upon Celestia’s face and body. She didn’t move, her eyes were closed, and her breathing was relaxed.

“He isn’t here,” she quietly said.

Magicon slowly trotted next to her and stood next to her.

“Are you ok, princess?”

She slowly nodded.

“It was a wonderful day. I’m sorry you couldn’t enjoy more of it.”

Magicon looked at her and quietly said, “No Celestia. I’m the one who should be sorry.”

"Sorry? Sorry for wh-AH!” Celestia screamed as a sharp pain pierced her body and lunged further into her. She opened her eyes and saw the handle of a dagger sticking out of her chest. Blood was seeping out as the intense pain coursed through her. Collapsing on the floor her desperate and dumbfounded eyes looked over at Magicon in disbelief.

“Sorry for not doing this sooner.” His voice had changed. It was deeper, menacing, and cold.

Celestia’s breathing was rapid and short, and she could only manage a faint whisper, “Magicon…you’re….Red…Blood?”

A malicious smile grew of Magicon’s face as he menacingly laughed. “No Celestia. You honestly think Red-Blood is still alive? Ha! He’s been dead for centuries, but he left behind the tools he needed to finish the job. I’m merely doing what he asked his followers to do.”

Celestia was beyond disbelief, she was traumatized. Before her stood her greatest and most trusted advisor; whom she had rescued those years ago, only to reveal his true identity as a follower of Red-Blood while she squirmed helpless on the floor at his mercy. She tried to pull the dagger out of her only to lose more blood. She tried to cast a spell to help herself, but she didn’t have the focus to manage one. There was just too much process with Magicon’s betrayal and what drove him to it. She was beginning to feel lightheaded.

“Wh…why? Magicon?” her voice was desperate.

“Well, I suppose you can call it my dark passions finally coming to a head. Don’t worry Celestia, though I follow Red-Blood’s philosophy, I do not subscribe to his methods. Your death will be quick and painless. The dagger was only the first step.” The malicious smile grew on his face as his horn glowed a dark lavender.

Celestia’s eyes widened in pure terror as she frantically tired to pull he blood-soaked dagger out of her only to have it stubbornly refuse her. Her vision was fading and she was loosing consciousness, the room was slowly spinning and in the center was Magicon with that wicked smile. This was it, it would end here. For more than a thousand years she had ruled Equestria fairly and faced countless enemies both large and small and had come out unscathed. Now here she was, helpless and dying, a pathetic disgrace to alicorns and rulers everywhere. The tears were few, but potent as she braced herself for the final strike.

She thought of her sister, her wonderful sister. She thought of her loving and kind parents who taught her so much. She thought of those four other alicorns who gave their lives to stop Red-Blood and now she failed them. She had failed her sister. She failed Equestria.

Then the memories dispersed. The world stopped, all sound faded, all vision disappeared. The infinite blackness consumed her. Her breathing ceased, her heart stopped, as Celestia lay dead on the rug in her study. The sun set leaving the last colors on the western horizon, knowing that its true raiser would never rise to raise it again.