• Published 11th Jun 2012
  • 1,543 Views, 83 Comments

Internal Darkness - Silver Sorcerer



All the Magic, mystery, and murder a pony can ask for in the gleaming spires of Canterlot. Enjoy!

  • ...
10
 83
 1,543

Chapter 42

Disclaimer: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic and all associated characters, settings and stories are the rightful subjects of Hasbro, the HUB, Studio B, and Lauren Faust.

Chapter 42

Twilight reappeared with a loud pop echoing throughout the cave. She cringed at the sound, hoping none of her friends heard it.

"I hate lying to you all, but I have no choice. I need to talk to Magicon one-on-one."

She turned her head back towards the cave leading to Magicon. She sighed and began her walk towards him. She didn't know what to expect or how Magicon would act, but she had to know the answer to this question. It had been bothering her ever since she learned the truth. She needed an answer and she knew he was the only one to give it to her.

Rounding the corner the dim light of the lanterns illuminated the small cave with Magicon strapped to the chair. His head was low, as if he was in deep concentration. He made no reaction to Twilight's approaching hoofsteps and Twilight wondered if he even was awake.

She stopped directly in front of the helpless unicorn, looking down at his hung head with a calm face. She spoke calmly.

"Magicon?"

He made no response.

"Magicon? You there?"

She extended a hoof only to have it quickly swatted away, much to her surprise. She let out a small gasp as Magicon's ears twitched and he slowly raised his head. His eyes were completely bloodshot, practically red, and he looked at Twilight as if he didn't know who she is.

"Yes?" he asked with a hoarse voice.

"Magicon, I need to speak with you."

"Ok, I guess. It's not like I'm going anywhere."

"You don't sound like yourself," she observed.

"Ok."

"Are you ok?"

"I'm strapped to a chair. Is that 'ok' in your mind?"

"Well…umm…do you know who I am?"

"Depends, are you a figment of my imagination?"

"Umm…no?"

"How can I believe you? If you're a figment of my imagination, you could be lying to me."

"I don't understand."

"Or if you're real and being honest, well then that would be nice but I don't think that's true. After all, who would be honest with me?"

"Well, that's the truth," she mumbled under her breath.

"Pardon?"

"Nothing, Magicon. Do you really think I'm not real?"

"I…I don't know anymore."

"Do you know my name?"

"I do."

"What is it?"

"Twilight Sparkle." With those words something clicked in his mind and shown on his face. A sense of realization overcame him as he continued to stare at the mare.

"Wait, Twi…Twilight? Is that really you?"

"Yes. Do I need to hurt you to prove it? Because I certainly wouldn't be opposed to doing it."

"Oh really? Are we getting aggressive now? Did Rainbow Dash finally get to you?"

"Don't talk about Rainbow or any of my friends."

"Or what?"

"Please, Magicon, I really don't want to hurt you."

"Really? You seemed to have no problem coordinating others to do the hurting for you."

"No-"

"Really, Twilight? You have always depended on your friends. Celestia was a terrible teacher. Teachers are supposed to teach you skills of independency and self-sufficiency. But instead Celestia just kept putting you on pointless tasks. You became so reliant on others that she even tasked you to make friends because she knew you couldn't be left on your own. You're a weak pony Twilight Sparkle! I can't believe I even wanted to teach you. Well, my mistake. You're betrayal is the same as your brother's and Cadance's and you'll all share the same fate."

"No, you're wrong, Magicon! An independent pony becomes selfish and arrogant and ignores the ponies around them. They become just like you!"

"And is that such a bad thing?"

"You don't think you're bad, despite what you've done?"

"Oh no, my dear Twilight, I am bad. I'm a very bad pony, a very bad pony," he maliciously smiled.

"I don't even know what to say."

"You don't have to say anything. All you have to do is sit there and die."

Twilight lowered her gaze and a small glare overcame her as she stared at the grinning stallion.

"What? You don't like what you see?" he teased.

"You disgust me."

"Right back at ya', sweetheart."

"Shut up," she hissed.

"Oh, do you not like that? Well, then how about your brother? He certainly liked it, especially in the bedroom."

"Shut up!" she yelled and smacked Magicon across the face. He slowly turned his head back, still wearing that wicked smile.

"You're the wickedest pony I've ever met."

"Yes, I am. I am the best liar Equestria has ever seen. I lied my way through Celestia's rule to be her closest advisor. I lied to Luna so I could gain her trust. I lied to everypony in Equestria about my real thoughts about Celestia. I lied my way to the top and only now did you guys discover the truth."

"Magicon, all I can say is why? Why do all of this? Why fall so far?"

"That's simple, Twilight Sparkle. You're a smart unicorn and you've talked to your brother. I'm sure you know why and how I, what you describe as, 'fell'."

"I know you're story, Magicon, and that's why I want to talk to you. Your mother's death happened right in front on you. You saw her dead on the floor and the room aflame. Now, I know unicorn magic extensively and I know what caused her death."

A sudden chill and gut feeling ran all through Magicon. It was a feeling he could not hide on the inside or the outside. He leaned away from Twilight, his face in shock as to her possible discovery.

"No…no, that's not possible! You couldn't have figured it out! It was unknown to anypony! It is unknown to anypony! Nopony had used it in years! You're lying!"

"No, I'm not. You think you and your masters were the only ones to have access to dark magic? Ha! True, you had the darkest spell book in all of Equestria, but there are only a few spells that result in side effects involving fire. From your book, I figured out just what that spell was."

Now it was Twilight's turn to smile. It was a smile of achievement and discovery, a smile that Magicon panicked at.

"No…Twilight….come on, you must understand…I was just a colt…I had no control and I was just…angry at her. That's all," he begged. He felt much weaker, much more helpless and completely at the mercy of Twilight. It was as if the truth was something he didn't want to know. He'd much rather have it lie in the darkness than be brought out to the light. He didn't want to be truthful.

"Be honest with her," said a pony materializing at Twilight's side that sent fear directly through Magicon's body. Her amber coat and beige mane shined beautifully, despite the dim lights of the cave. Her pure blue eyes looked directly at Magicon, piercing his flesh and soul. His jaw dropped at her appearance beside Twilight and he shook his head violently to shake her image, but it would not cease. He banged his head against the back of the chair to no avail.

"Magicon!" Twilight exclaimed and rushed to him to restrain his head, desperately trying to make eye contact and calm him. He continued to shake his head and whole body. His eyes were closed but they couldn't hide the tears emerging from them.

"Magicon! Calm down!" Twilight yelled, desperately trying to calm down the uncontrollable unicorn.

"No, no, no, no, no, no! She isn't there! She can't be there! She's dead! Dead! Dead and buried! For years now! She can't be there!"

"Who's there? Magicon, what's going on?"

"You don't see her? She's standing right there!" he pointed directly towards the amber mare in front of him.

"No. There's nopony there."

"No! No! No! That's not possible! She's right there, just staring at me with those eyes!"

"Magicon! Nopony is here other than you and me. You need to calm down."

"She's right, Magicon. Listen to her," voiced the amber mare.

"No! She's wrong, you're here!"

"I meant that you calm down."

"Calm down?"

"Yes, Magicon," answered Twilight with a reassuring nod from the amber mare. "That's it, deep breaths. Calm your nerves."

Slowly and with some reluctance Magicon managed to calm himself, surrounded by the oddly comforting hooves of Twilight.

After a few minutes, Twilight asked, "Magicon?"

"Yes?"

"Are you alright?"

"I guess."

"Who makes you doubt yourself?"

"She's still there."

"Who?"

Magicon hesitated before answering, glancing at Twilight's caring eyes. "My mother."

Twilight made no sudden movements, only blinking a few times. She knew what happened to her and the truth that Magicon refused to admit, both to himself and to her.

Quietly she asked, "Is she here now?"

"Yes."

"How does she look?"

"The same as I remember her."

"Magicon, you do realize she's dead, right?"

"I know. But why is she here?"

"I…I…can't answer that. But you and I know why she can't be here."

"Yes, I know, but why is she here?"

"Because I want you to tell the truth," answered Magicon's mother.

"You do?"

"Yes, if it's still in your heart to do so."

"I…don't know if it is."

"You've fallen so very far, but it's not too late."

"Yes, it is."

"It's never too late for anypony. Even you."

"I…can't."

"What prevents you, my son?"

"My dark and corrupted soul."

"Why don't you let an ounce of purity through and be a good pony for once?"

"I…can't. It'll hurt too much."

"You don't know that."

"And you do?"

"No, but you never tried. Like Luna has said, make the choice."

Magicon fell silent and looked to his side; unaware that Twilight remained close, staring at him as he carried out this conversation. She simply watched him, realizing there was no way to get to him. Whatever was happening in his mind, she only hoped that it would be for the best of himself, herself, her friends, and all of Equestria.

"What if it ends badly?"

"What if it doesn't? There's only one way to find out. Besides, it will allow you to avenge my death. Isn't that what you've striven to do? Isn't that what you've always been worried about?"

"If only that were true. We all know what happened to you. I'm sorry, mom, I was just so angry and uncontrollable."

"I don't blame you and I forgive you. But can they forgive you? And can you forgive yourself? Only one way to find out." With those final words she walked backwards into the darkness of the cave and Magicon's mind.

Magicon sighed and turned toward Twilight. "Twilight?"

"Yes, Magicon?"

"I hate saying this, but you're right."

"I'm right? About what?"

"My mother. Yes, I…killed her with an extremely dark curse that caused the fire as a side effect. I regretted it from the second I cast it. I was just…so angry and upset with her. I was so young too, uncontrollable and wild. I just…let my emotions control me."

No tears streamed down his face as he spoke. He spoke only in a quiet tone, as if he were stating the information as factual and not emotional.

Twilight felt a heavier burden on her heart by Magicon's admission. If only he had been a better pony she would have shown sympathy towards him, but it was too late for that. Magicon was beyond sympathy, or at least sympathy for his present and past actions.

"Twilight?"

"Yes?"

"I'm not asking for forgiveness, but could you, if at all possible, remove this excruciating headpiece from my horn. I fear it's causing damage to my skull."

Twilight looked at Magicon, unsure of his motives. Was he being sincere? She could only assume so. It was the only logical conclusion in this situation and with the ounce of sympathy she had she unbolted the metal from Magicon's horn.

He rose his head and straightened his next with a few crackles as Twilight set down the metal object on the floor next to Magicon. She rose and stood directly in front of him.

"Better?"

"Much better. Thank you, Twilight Sparkle."

"You're wel-Ah!" a sudden blast of magic crashed against her and she was sent flying across the cave landing at the opposite end with a loud thud. Twilight scrambled to her hooves and charged back at Magicon who freed himself from his chair with a single explosion, blinding Twilight for a few seconds.

When her vision returned to her, she saw Magicon charging at her, horn glowing and ready to strike. She only had just enough time to duck and dodge as he passed her by with an explosion sending dirt, rocks, and gemstones flying, attempting to escape.

"Come back here, Magicon!" she screamed as she galloped after him.

She chased him through the caves, blasting a few bolts of magic where she could but making no direct mark as Magicon continued running. She had to admit that he had a surprising amount of stamina as she continued to chase him.

Then as she rounded a corner she slammed against a solid wall. She gazed around and saw that the wall was incredibly solid and unyielding. Nopony could easily pass through it and she didn't hear a teleportation pop. Magicon had simply vanished and Twilight couldn't understand how. As she searched the area for any sign of Magicon she failed to notice a small lavender mist disappear out of the cave, heading for the surface.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

As the mist crept out of the cave and into Canterlot proper, nopony noticed it as it zoomed through the streets and down alleyways heading for the palace. The night had just begun with the moon slowly creeping higher in the sky, an omnipresent eye watching over the desperate unicorn attempting to make his final stand. The mist passed through the gates and doors of the palace and finally arrived in its ultimate destination: Magicon's bedroom.

With the quietness and stillness of night, the mist transformed itself into the Magicon's full form.

"I don't have much time. Twilight and her friends will be after me. I can't stay here. It's no longer safe for a pony like me. I need to get out and fight them where I know I will win. I need to get home."

The image of his stately mansion, Chateau Montville, appeared in his mind with his four servants who were basically family to him.

"They'll always be there for me. They'll help me. They'll understand. I need to get to them as quickly as possible."

He telekinetically grabbed his suitcase from the closet and threw it on the bed. He didn't care if he made any damage to his room in the process, he wasn't even sure if he was returning. But that didn't matter; that was a worry for the future. What mattered now was how he prepared for the group determined to destroy him.

Grabbing anything of magical value, he lumped it all into the suitcase and slammed it shut. He telekinetically brought the spell book in front of him. He gazed over it; the worn cover, the fading gold letters, and the black lock, all no longer responding to him. Red-Blood had betrayed him in his hour of need and would never share the secrets of the book with him again.

With a burst of fury Magicon hurled the book against the wall. It made contact with a loud thump and fell to the ground with another thud. It was useless to him now and Magicon no longer felt any reason to respect it.

"To Tartarus with Red-Blood and his followers! They're all traitors! I killed Celestia and Luna! And what did they do? Stand back and watch! No congratulations! No thanks! No nothing! They're nothing to me anymore! Death to them all!"

His horn glowed and the book caught fire. However it was doused as quickly as it had started. Magicon wasn't surprised by the magical enchantments protecting the book; it only strengthened his resolve to destroy it. They had hurt him too much; it was time for revenge.

He tried more spells, blasting the book around the room, freezing it, trying to break the lock, and others which had no effect on the book. It simply remained indestructible to his magic. Frustrated Magicon picked up the book with his hooves and, with all his strength, threw it against the wall with such force that it caused a dent. Magicon didn't care anymore; the book was useless to him. Let some other soul fall victim to Red-Blood's plan, Magicon was no long apart of it.

"I've wasted too many years blindly devoting myself to that pony, my master, and their plan. And when I go above and beyond what they ask for, I get scolded for it! That's wrong! I'm done with them, forever!"

He grabbed his suitcase and stormed out of his room, an angry look upon his face. As he walked through the palace, everypony scattered into rooms, completely fearful of him. Magicon didn't care what they thought and didn't care what they did. One move and he would blast them to bits. His sole interest was getting home where he could win and return to Canterlot with his ruling secured.

As he passed through the throne room, he paused and gazed around. His fury subsidized in this temporary moment of reflection. He had lost count of how many times he had sat in this room, on that powerful throne of his, and helped ponies of Equestria. Now, he didn't even know if he would return to see it.

Gazing up at his throne, he smiled as he silently admired its power and gothic grace. Deciding to allow himself one last time to sit, he climbed the steps, set down his suitcase, and slowly sat in the throne. Once again, the power of the chair coursed through him and he felt the rejuvenating feeling overcome him.

He took deep breaths and smiled as the energy and the drive came back to him. Even if Red-Blood and the ancient spell book had abandoned, the chair did not. It still catered to him and he was thankful for that. He continued soaking in the power until he heard nervous hoofsteps approach from the right.

Opening his eyes, Magicon saw Starry Skies nervously approaching him. Magicon made no emotional reaction to his presence other than a simple nod, an acknowledgement that he was there.

Once Starry approached the base of the steps, he spoke nervously, twiddling his hooves as he did.

"Umm…uh….pardon me….err….Magicon….but…I-"

"Out with it, Starry!" Magicon boomed causing Starry to jump and cover his eyes. Magicon hadn't meant for it to come out so forcefully, he didn't have much time. If Starry was going to talk, he had to do it now.

"Umm…yesss….sir….I was….wondering…what happened?"

"What do you mean?" he asked with slightly more sympathy.

"Umm…well…you know…the guards and….stuff," his voice trailed off, afraid he was going to receive harsh treatment from Magicon. Magicon simply examined Starry as if he were hiding something.

"Starry, I don't have time for your pathetic questions. I have to go."

"Oh…yes, sir…but where…to?"

"My home."

"Your…mansion?"

"Do I have to spell it for you?"

"No…sir."

"Good, now I must be leaving."

Magicon rose, grabbed his suitcase, and proceeded down the steps past Starry Skies. As he strode across the throne room to the exit, Starry called after him.

"Magicon."

He paused and turned around, an annoyed look on his face. "What do you want Starry Skies? I don't have time for your foolish talking."

"I...I'm sorry, Magicon, but I have to tell you something."

"What? Spit it out!"

"I…uhh…know about you and Shining Armor," he whispered tears suddenly streaming down his face. Magicon shook his head and cleaned out his ears, unsure if he heard it right.

"Come again?"

"I know about your relationship with Shining Armor, Magicon," he sobbed.

"What in Equestria are you blabbering about?"

"Magicon…you…like Shining Armor."

Magicon's jaw dropped at Starry's admission and he blinked quite a few times as he came to grips with Starry's statement. It wasn't possible. He didn't know. He couldn't know. Nopony did other than himself and Shining. He would remember otherwise. Yet, here was Starry telling him otherwise. He didn't understand how it was possible, or even if it was possible. He couldn't have told Starry. Starry couldn't know. Nopony could. He had too many bad things. He was beyond being honest. He had his one love, Shining Armor, and that ended in bitter hatred of him. And now Starry knew. He didn't know how much Starry knew, but he knew there was something and that thought scarred Magicon.

"I'm sorry, Magicon. Please don't hurt me!" Starry was now begging on his knees, hoping for mercy from Magicon.

As Magicon thought about Starry's statements he felt a pain in his heart. He had no feelings for Starry. He had always thought of him simply as a friend. Starry was always too kind and never prone to corruption. He seemed too oblivious to know the inner workings of Magicon's and Shining's relationship. Yet somehow, he figured it out. He didn't know how or why, but it didn't matter, at least it didn't matter anymore.

Turning back to Starry Magicon put a hoof on his shoulder causing Starry to tremble. He spoke with more remorse and compassion in his voice.

"Starry…I know how you must feel. But let me tell you, that I am not mad or upset with you. I don't know whether or not to believe you. I can't trust you or anypony as to whether that's the truth or not. But I suggest you keep it secret for your own sake. I don't know how much you know or how you learned or why are you telling me, but I ask that you never speak of it again."

"Magicon, what…are you saying?"

"I'm saying to forget about everything you've heard or figured out and move on. Stop worrying about other ponies and their problems and worry about your own."

"I don't understand."

"You better because I don't have the time nor the patience to help you. So, just go." He turned his back to Starry and was about to walk towards the exit when he felt his back hooves restrained. Turning his head he saw Starry's front hooves under his cape, clinging to Magicon's rear hooves.

"Magicon…I don't care what you and Shining did or didn't do, I just wanted to let you know."

"Well, now you know and now you know my reaction. So, shut up and leave me alone before I blast you into oblivion!" Magicon scolded and pulled himself from Starry's grasp and exited the shocked stallion with a flurry of his cape.

Magicon then left the throne room and proceeded to the stable houses and entered his custom-built carriage, as two pegasi servants hitched themselves to the front and prepared to depart.

"Where to?" asked one.

"Home."