• Published 11th Jun 2012
  • 1,542 Views, 83 Comments

Internal Darkness - Silver Sorcerer



All the Magic, mystery, and murder a pony can ask for in the gleaming spires of Canterlot. Enjoy!

  • ...
10
 83
 1,542

Chapter 29

Disclaimer: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic and all associated characters, settings and stories are the rightful subjects of Hasbro, the HUB, Studio B, and Lauren Faust.

Chapter 29

"You can't be serious?" questioned Lieutenant Dash.

"Deadly serious, sir," replied one of the guards. Rainbow Dash was seated with her guards in the barracks outside the palace. Each of them answered her various questions, trying to help her understand and make sense of what was going on with their Prince and his prisoners.

"So, you're telling me that the real Captain of the Royal Guard is being held prisoner right here in Canterlot?" she asked in disbelief.

"That is correct, sir."

"No trial?"

"He was thrown in prison before the Constitution was adopted; he has no rights."

"What did he do?"

"He attacked Magicon. I was one of the guards that saw it. I had to restrain him. It was sickening."

"I just can't believe it."

"He's in the dungeons, though good luck getting in."

"Excuse me?"

"Sorry, sir, but it isn't easy to get into those dungeons. The Night Guards are solely in charge of that."

"I've had trouble giving what information I could to Shining to keep him updated," said another guard.

"Unless Magicon decides to throw another pony down there, then we really can't go down there," stated a third.

"And what about Princess Cadance?" asked one of the guards.

"I can answer that," stated Rainbow. "Magicon isn't pardoning her; at least not yet. He wants her to go to trial."

"That's going to look very bad for him."

"He knows that but he is only responsible to himself and only answers to himself. As long as he doesn't do anything illegal or break his oath, he can pretty much do whatever he wants," stated Rainbow.

"Sir?"

"Yes, private?"

"What are we going to do? Magicon is becoming a tyrant."

"Watch your tongue, private!" snapped Rainbow as the guard lowered his head, ashamed. "But, yes, the question remains of what we're going to do. But you're telling me that Magicon has kept Shining Armor down there since Luna's death?"

"I'm afraid so, sir."

"He never even considered releasing him?"

"No, sir and from what the Night Guards have heard from Magicon's and Shining Armor's conversations in his cell, they had some sort of affair together."

Rainbow Dash jumped and fell backwards out of her chair, completely caught off-guard by that last statement.

"Lieutenant, are you alright?" asked the nearest guards rushing to her aid.

"I'm fine," she answered. "Now, what in Equestria do you mean they had an 'affair' together?"

"From what the Night Guards heard they said Magicon was angry at Shining for falling in love and marrying Cadance when he could've had him."

"That doesn't mean they had an affair. It just means Magicon likes Shining…oh my," she stammered at the realization. "You mean our Ruler…is…is..."

"A coltcuddler, yes," stated one of the guards.

Rainbow put a hoof to her head and closed her eyes, trying to makes sense of it.

"Wait, did they ever actually have sexual relations?"

"The Night Guards heard this: Shining Armor said, 'Magicon, nopony would ever want you,' while Magicon replied, 'You did."

Rainbow Dash sat in silence, her breathing heavy as she listened to that last statement and the meaning behind it. "Though those words are suspicious, they're not conclusive proof of them doing anything."

"But it makes sense, sir. Think about it, we know that Shining Armor returned to Canterlot a few nights after Luna's death and visited Magicon that night. The two guards outside Magicon's room can vouch that. They saw Magicon and Shining leave Magicon's room together and Magicon returned early the next morning, half-dazed. Shining Armor returned to Magicon's room later that morning and summoned the two day guards into the room. I was one of them. He asked us if we saw him last night, and as day guards we were sleeping during the night so we couldn't have seen him. He didn't ask the other guards, who were off-duty during the day. Then Shining and Magicon go about their day and worked to raise the sun and moon. Sometime before that, Shining Armor asked the off-duty guards about his presence and they confirmed that he was in Canterlot that night.

"He approached Magicon about it, probably after they raise the sun and moon, and something happened. We don't know what; it was silent outside Magicon's room. Then we hear Magicon yell for the guards and we rush in and we see Magicon cowering behind some debris and Shining Armor preparing to attack him. We stop him and throw him in the dungeon under Magicon's orders."

"And Magicon visited him afterwards?" asked Rainbow.

"He visited him a few days afterwards and that's where we got the information from the Night Guards."

"It's so confusing," exclaimed Rainbow.

"And we haven't figured out the whole picture yet."

"I can see that. But tell me, what does Shining know?"

"He knows about your promotion, Twilight's safety, and Cadance's hex."

"Wait? Cadance's hex?"

They guards exchanged glances and one of the older ones spoke.

"Princess Cadance was under a hex that Magicon cast."

"No; that's not possible."

"It was. He controlled her every move and made her his slave."

"How do we know this?"

"We heard him cast it," answered one of the guards who guarded Magicon's room during the episode.

"How long ago was it?"

"Only a few days after she, you, and your friends returned."

"She's been under a hex that long?!" exclaimed Rainbow.

"I'm afraid so, sir."

"So, what happened afterwards?"

"She broke from his hex and knocked him unconscious," stated another guard. "We were the two guards who were outside Magicon's office when it happened." He gestured toward the other guardspony who nodded in agreement before he spoke.

"We saw Magicon unconscious on the floor and since Cadance was the only one in the room we had to assume that she attacked Magicon. We had to arrest her."

"So that's the reason behind the attack," pondered Rainbow. "I knew there had to be something else. Cadance is not the pony to attack just out of nowhere."

"Sir?" asked another guard.

"Yes?"

"What do we do now?"

"Well, I need to talk to Magicon and get his side of the story."

"Lieutenant, I must object to that," stated one of the older guards.

"Why?"

"Because that's how Magicon wins. He starts talking with ponies then either provokes them or does something to cause them to attack him, then calls in the guard and forces us to arrest them. He would do the same to you and we would be forced to arrest you."

"You wouldn't do that!"

"As suspicious as we are of Magicon, we don't know how powerful he is and we don't know what he could do to us. If it came between him and you, we'd have to side with him. He's just too popular. The public is on his side."

Rainbow sat in silence, somewhat confused and shocked. Magicon had always been a friend to her: kind, compassionate, always looking out for the good of Equestria. Now here was lying, manipulating, and ruining the lives of select ponies. Her own captain was a prisoner and now she realized why he wanted her in charge.

"He thought I was stupid," mumbled Rainbow.

"Excuse me, sir?"

"He thought I was stupid!" she yelled. "He thought I wouldn't ask all these questions and settle into this role so well. He thought you guys would have difficulty following my orders and grumble about me. He didn't think I would become this close with you and he didn't think you guys knew so much. It's one thing to throw a pony in prison, another to underestimate one of the Elements of Harmony. He's going down!"

"Lieutenant, please!" exclaimed one of the older guards. "I know it's upsetting for you and for us, but you heard what we said. It'll be suicide for you if you confront him face-to-face. He probably won't hold back. He'll probably destroy you."

"He can't harm me! I'm Rainbow Dash!"

"As fast and skilled as you are he has magic and he can control you so easily. Trust us. Look at Princess Cadance. Look at Shining Armor. They confronted him and look where they ended up. We don't want that to happen to you. Don't force us to do it."

She looked around at her guards, all wearing pleading faces, silently begging her to wait and not confront him. Realizing that, she sighed, crossed her hooves, and turned her anger into bitterness at being defeated.

"It's not all bad," reassured a younger guard. "There is a way we can confront Magicon: blackmail."

"Private, we're not spies. We are the Royal Guard. If we were caught with Blackmail against Magicon, the leader we swore to protect, we would be tried for treason and probably executed," stated the older guard.

"He's right," added another one. "But that doesn't mean we can't stop Magicon. Perhaps a small overthrow would send him a message."

"You're suggesting a coup?"

"Why, coup is such a strong word. I prefer change in styles."

"Regardless, of what you call it; that doesn't change the fact that we would be committing treason. If we were unsuccessful we wouldn't even have a trial. Magicon could do whatever he sees fits."

"But a coup might be the only way," stated Rainbow slowly rising in front of the group.

"But isn't it a little extreme for that?" asked one of the guards. "I mean, he is very popular amongst the general ponies."

"Except the nobility," chimed in another.

"Magicon has already lost their support, so they could be on our side," added the elder one.

"Yes, they could. But I'm having extreme difficulty with orchestrating a coup," stated Rainbow. "I have pledged my loyalty to protecting Magicon."

"You also pledged your loyalty to protecting Equestria."

"But, let's be realistic, what has Magicon actually done that's harmed Equestria?"

They sat in silence, trying to find a legitimate answer to the question. After a few minutes it dawned on them that, although Magicon had personal conflicts with certain ponies, he never abused his power nor hurt anypony outside his inner circle, without reason.

"So, he really isn't a tyrant?" asked one of the younger guards.

"Unfortunately, no. He just has some personal issues with ponies that cross his path," answered the elder guard.

"So what do we do now?" asked another guard.

"First, I need to see Shining Armor. Second, I need to talk to Princess Cadance. Third, regardless of it's a good decision or not, I have to talk to Magicon. I have to know what he's thinking. As for you all, carry on with your duties. This meeting never took place and all you know is the orders that are given to you. Understand?"

"Sir, yes, sir," they stated saluting their commander as she walked out of the barracks and headed back to the palace.

"Sir?" asked one of the privates once she was out of sight.

"Yes, private?"

"She's changed."

"Yes. Much like everything else in Equestria, she has changed."
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

It was still dark when she left. All was quiet as she quickly packed her things, hitched on her saddlebags, and finalized her note to Spike. As she closed and locked the library she could see the light of the early morning just beginning to creep over the horizon. The chill in the morning air was the sign that winter was on its way. The trees had already shed their leaves and now the barren brown and gray land awaited the white snow that would coat it for three months until the next spring.

Twilight didn't know how she had managed to survive over the summer and autumn, but she did. But next spring was what worried her. It would be one year since Princess Celestia's death. One year since she had seen her brother. One year since the changing of the times. The change had taken her friends but left her behind. She had managed to survive, burying herself in her books and trying to continue her studies.

Often then not, she remembered to write a letter to Princess Celestia every Tuesday only to have Spike reminder of the facts-at-hoof. Her friends' letters had become rarer and rarer. They seemed so busy; she wondered if they even remembered her. But that was a ludicrous thought. They were the best of friends and even with their lifestyle changes, they would remain together.

But while her friends and Equestria advanced, Twilight felt abandoned. She had seen the changes around Equestria. New farming machinery had helped the Apple Family keep up with Harvest Season. New ovens allowed the Cakes to bake more cakes, pies, and other delectable deserts for everypony. Ponyville Hospital also gained new doctors and nurses thanks to Fluttershy's commitment to quality Health Care. Rarity's Carousel Boutique had been sold to an elderly mare who kept the shop running, but began changing the store from a high-end boutique to a standard clothes shop, displaying the newest outfits from clothing factories all over Equestria.

The biggest industrialization to Equestria was the telegraph lines, gas lamps, and expanded Railroad Services. Being in the heart of Equestria Ponyville was quickly becoming a major trade center. The small market had expanded with larger buildings, more ponies, and a busier lifestyle. Though some of Ponyville's old charms remained, her library attracted the same trickle as before, Twilight saw the new Equestria unfold right before her.

Walking through the streets on this early morning, Twilight saw the initial deliveries of fresh fruits and vegetables arrive at the market stalls. The streets were mostly quiet other than the delivery carts and the distant whistle of a train could be heard. The gas lamps lined the streets, quietly hissing to the few passing by. Twilight paused to stare up through the glass at the flame. Its small heat was compensated by its light which illuminated the area around Twilight. Its flame seemed eternal, it didn't even flicker. If there was an eternal flame for Twilight, it was very dim now.

Sighing and moving on, Twilight soon found herself at the train station. Due to the increased commercial trade Ponyville station could now serve three trains at a time. New tracks had been laid and new platforms erected. The station itself was undergoing an expansion to handle the increased commerce. Construction beams and scaffolding surrounded the building as Twilight silently passed through the double doors into the station.

Inside, Twilight was instantly comforted by the warmth and light inside. She saw a few other ponies, sitting on the long, wooden benches, awaiting their train to wherever they were going. Checking the departures board, Twilight saw she had fifteen minutes until her train arrived. She walked over to the ticket booth and quietly purchased her ticket to Canterlot. Sitting down on a lonely bench, Twilight plucked out an apple from her bag and began slowly munching away, relishing in its freshness and deliciousness that only the Apple Family could provide.

She saw the newspaper pony just open his stand on the far side of the station and decided to see the latest news in Ponyville and in Equestria.

"One Ponyville Express, please."

"Sure thing," said the newspony as he hoofed over the latest edition as she tossed over her bits.

"Still use bits, I see."

"Yeah, the new paper currency is just too new for me."

"Respectable opinion. It's only been out for a month and some towns don't even have it yet. Plus the paper currency is good for larger purchases, not for small ones like a single newspaper."

Twilight nodded and said, "Thank you," and returned to her seat. Scanning through the headlines Twilight found nothing that really interested her.

The headlines told of everything: from the newest inventions, to bills presented in Parliament, to the state of the economy, and to the next cultural events. Yet Twilight was only half-interested in any of it. She skimmed through most of the stories, catching little sentences and phrases as she read her way through the paper.

"Nothing good, is there?" said a female voice. Lowering the paper in front of her Twilight saw that Derpy was standing before her. A small smile was on her face and her eyes looking in two opposite directions, like they weren't even focused on Twilight at all.

"Yeah, well, no. There's nothing interesting. What are you doing here so early, Derpy? Shouldn't you be at home?"

"I like to go out in the mornings before the sunrise. Reminds me of another day to live and be happy."

"Yeah…well, I better get going. My train will be arriving in a few minutes."

"Can't you stay for a few?"

"No, I really shouldn't. I better go."

"And where are you going?"

"Canterlot."

"Oh, fun. I remember that city. Too many ponies for me. Too much noise. But very pretty. What are you going for?"

"I need to see my friends. They're in Canterlot."

"Oh, that sounds fun."

"Yeah, fun."

"You don't seem very excited to see them." Derpy sat next to Twilight, her eyes still disconnected, making it difficult for Twilight to talk to her. She decided to look at Derpy's muzzle; it was just easier that way.

"They don't know I'm coming," she mumbled.

"They don't? You should throw them a surprise party!"

"I don't think that would be appropriate."

"It's not about being appropriate; it's about celebrating your friendship."

"Yeah…"

"Listen, kid, friendship is the greatest gift a pony can have. You mustn't lose it. If you do, you'll end up being just a lonely and miserable pony that nopony likes."

'For a moment, that didn't sound like Derpy', Twilight thought.

"That's really nice and encouraging to say, Derpy, but…"

"But you haven't seen them in a long time and you wonder if they'll even want to talk to you."

"Well…uhh…yeah."

"Look, they're your best friends, right?"

"Yes."

"You would do anything for them and they would do the same to you, right?"

"Of course."

"Then quit worrying about it. They're your friends. They'll understand and they'll heal those wounds and give you treasure memories to last a lifetime."

'Wow. That was surprisingly good advice.'

"Thanks for the advice, Derpy. It'll help. I better get onto the platform; my train should be arriving really soon." Twilight rose from the bench, checked her saddlebags and walked towards the platform.

"Take care, uh…Twilight," called Derpy waving her hoof as Twilight turned her head and returned the gesture.

"Dopey Pony," she teased under her breath with a small smile.

She pushed through the doors onto the platform, the cold air hitting her hard. Once on the platform she waited for her train. Other ponies soon followed her, doing the same thing. Whether it was for business, personal, or reasons otherwise they all had to go somewhere. She shivered in the early winter chill and hoped her train would arrive quickly.

It did. Beyond the hills she could hear the whistle and the smoke billowing as the train rounded the hill and pulled into Ponyville Station with a hiss of steam and the squealing of brakes. Twilight scuttled into the nearest coach and found herself a warm seat. Canterlot was now only a few hours away. She would find her friends and get to the bottom of this mystery about their silence.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

For Fluttershy, Magicon's tiredness had presented her with an unavoidable opportunity to know more about the pony she worked for. Though, initially skeptical, Fluttershy overcame it to study just how powerful was the spell that had knocked him out and what Cadance knew. She wasn't skilled in the magical arts, but knew enough about them to understand a few key elements.

For one, Cadance had been under some kind of spell. Two, she had overcome that spell with a very powerful counter that not only released her from her spell, but struck Magicon as well. Fluttershy guessed that it was Cadance's signature love spell, since it was the only thing she had been willing to use on anypony.

As for Magicon, Fluttershy realized that he hadn't been getting good sleep for a few weeks now. She could only assume that it was because of those nightmares. Though what they were was a complete mystery, they had to be very powerful and emotional ones to keep reappearing for weeks.

Something else bothered her too. Magicon had asked her if he was a good pony. She had given the best answer she could, but she felt there something more behind that question. There were many definitions and implications of the word 'good' and Fluttershy tried to find the best one to fit what Magicon was talking about. None really fit and she didn't have enough information to conclude what was ailing Magicon, but something was troubling him, something big.

It hadn't been the nobles, it wasn't Shining Armor (Celestia knew where he was). It couldn't be Princess Cadance, could it? No, Magicon loved her, though his refusal to pardon her seemed very strange and saddening. Maybe he was just confused or too tired. Maybe he was still angry at her for attacking him and succeeding. Maybe…

There were too many 'maybe's', too many 'I think', and too many 'what if's'. They kept giving Fluttershy too many possibilities and she was not going to find the real answer with that many choices. What she realized was that in order to get her own answers, she would have to speak with Magicon himself. She had to figure out just what was ailing him and what she could do to help. It would not only serve in his interest, but also in hers. The old field of psychology was experiencing new growth with new medicines and procedures that could help unstable and often crazy ponies.

Probing the mind was quickly rising and Fluttershy wanted to see if the technique could work on Magicon. Not only would it help him; it would help her understand how a pony thinks and how they deal with certain problems and things like nightmares. Maybe she could cure him, but at least she could help him when he needed it. She at least, had to try.