• Published 11th Jun 2012
  • 1,543 Views, 83 Comments

Internal Darkness - Silver Sorcerer



All the Magic, mystery, and murder a pony can ask for in the gleaming spires of Canterlot. Enjoy!

  • ...
10
 83
 1,543

Chapter 27

Disclaimer: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic and all associated characters, settings and stories are the rightful subjects of Hasbro, the HUB, Studio B, and Lauren Faust.

Chapter 27

He lay in his dark and damp cell, desperately trying to break the shackles on his hooves and his horn. Despite everything he tried, they remained firm and unyielding. From attempting to break, to lock picking, to injuring, these locks were unbreakable. On top of it, he had to be quiet. A loud noise would alert the guards who would restrain him even further without a second thought. He swore that they were slowly sapping his energy; they were giving him just enough food and water to live.

'To think they would give their captain some decent food,' he thought. He had hoped that Magicon would release him soon; he had lost his perception of time and had no idea how long he lay down in this cell.

'I wonder if those guards still care about me or remember me. Do they have a new captain? Do they blindly follow him and that bastard of a ruler? Where do their true loyalties lie?'

Shining Armor's thoughts were interrupted when the cell door unlocked and swung open. Bathed in torchlight, Shining Armor covered his eyes from the sudden change of light. As quickly as the light had appeared, it disappeared as a pony in armor walked into the cell. The cell window behind him was open, allowing minimal light in.

From what Shining Armor could see and hear, it was a Royal Guard standing before him, but whether it was a pegasus, unicorn, or earth pony he did not know.

"It's good to see you're alive, captain," he greeted.

"Captain? Am I still called that?" he asked, his voice was hoarse and cracked.

"Very much so, sir. Here, take this." The guard gave his canteen to Shining who quickly drained its contents.

"So, what are you doing here?"

"I have news for you."

"Oh, do you now?"

"I must be brief. I'm not supposed to even see you, much less talk with you. First, your sister has returned."

"I already know that. That bastard of a ruler already told me that she is alive and well."

"Alive, yes; well, no. She is sane, but still very upset over Celestia's death. She and her friends left yesterday to head back to Ponyville."

"Well, at least she has her friends."

"That's also news. You have a new assistant: Rainbow Dash."

Shining Armor's jaw dropped. "Wh…what?"

"Yes, sir. Magicon announced that Rainbow Dash would become our next Lieutenant and be in charge of the Royal Guard when you're incapable of doing it."

"So, I'm still Captain of the Royal Guard?"

"Technically, yes."

Feeling slightly relieved, he asked, "How did he get Rainbow Dash to agree on that?"

"No idea, sir."

"Anything else?"

"Yes, but you won't like it."

"Private, tell me what it is."

"Private? I'll have you know I am a sergeant."

"Does it really matter right now? In case you haven't noticed I'm bolted to the wall!"

"You of all ponies should respect military rank; it's proper fashion."

"Fine, sergeant, what is the news?"

"Your wife is not quite herself."

"What do you mean?"

"She's under a hex."

"What?"

"She is under a hex cast by Magicon. I heard him cast it on her last night as I stood guard with another guard outside his room."

"What kind of hex?"

"A very powerful one. He essentially made her his slave and to stop worrying about you."

Shining Armor was silent as he heard and tried to understand those words.

"That lying, disgusting, selfish bastard," he hissed under his breath.

"Pardon?"

"Nothing. Anything else?"

"No, sir."

"Has Magicon stated when I'll be free?"

"I have no knowledge of that, sir. But let me tell you that this latest incident has put the guard on edge. They're now quite suspicious of Magicon.'

"Alright. Thank you, sergeant."

"You're welcome, Captain."

They saluted and the guard left leaving Shining Armor alone, once again, in the darkness of his cell. The only sounds that could be heard were the muffled sobs for his wife.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

The days turned into weeks which morphed into months. The norms were established and the new traditions set as the old ones disappeared. The Constitutional Convention had come and gone and a new Constitution had been written. Elections were held for the parliament and candidates from all of Equestria had campaigned for the votes of all ponies over the age of twenty-one, and only some achieved success. They now resided in Canterlot, debating and passing legislation for the new government.

As for the monarchy, Magicon had single-hoofedly transformed it. Instead of it being a regal and mostly restrained office, Magicon had thrust into the modern age. He met with ambassadors, foreign leaders, bureaucratic ministers, and average ponies all day. It wasn't enough just to smile, wave, and wear the crown. He had to run Equestria and he was doing it with complete success.

The five girls had returned to Canterlot, after a sorrowful good-bye to all of their treasures in Ponyville, and, although they all initially struggled to fit into their positions, they learned and were soon masters of their trade. Applejack, now sporting a dark brown coat which perfectly matched her cowpony hat, was glad to see that she had assistants and others in the Patent Office who did the office work while she tested all the new inventions and approved them. Often then not she would show the inventions to Magicon, who was highly impressed by the creativity and ingenuity of their inventors.

Thanks to those inventions technological changes were occurring all over Equestria. Candles were replaced by gas lamps. Street lights were powered by natural gas. Communications were now rapid thanks to long cable lines on wooden poles stretching alongside the railroad tracks. With a few simple clicks and silences, a message could be send across Equestria in a matter of seconds. Steam-power was also rising. New factories were sprouting up in the newer and larger cities, like Fillydelphia and Manehattan. They made all sorts of products, from garments to furniture to carriages.

"Magicon, ya' must see this here new invention," she often said to Magicon who always was curious and easily agreed to see it.

"What are we looking at?" he asked as he circled and inspected the large metal and wooden box with a central lens in the center standing on a tripod.

"It's called a photographic developer, or more commonly know as a camera," said the unicorn stallion who stood right beside it.

"It's a radical invention but it's amazin'," added Applejack.

"What does it do?"

"It takes a quick portrait of whatever the lens is focused on. For example, you see that bowl of fruit over there?" pointed the inventor.

"Yeah."

"Well, let's say you wanted to paint that in the most detailed and lifelike fashion, how long would it take you to do that?"

"A few days, maybe a week."

"Correct, but the camera will accomplish that in merely a few minutes. With a quick flash and some smoke, it takes a permanent and realistic picture of whatever is before the lens."

"Show me."

"Gladly."

The inventor brought himself behind the device, put a black blanket over his head and after a few moments a bright white flash and a small whiff of smoke emitted from the device. Applejack jumped a little bit and Magicon blinked several times. Emerging from the dark cover the inventor went next to the side of the device, pulled out a large white sheet and quickly ran it over to a nearby closet, placing it a basin of some liquid.

"Once a picture is taken, it must be developed to allow a clear image," she stated emerging from the closet. "Light must be minimal in order to have the correct image. In a few minutes we'll have the picture."

Indeed he was correct. He returned to the closet after a few minutes and pulled the picture and displayed it to Magicon. His jaw dropped as he saw the image.

"I…can't believe my eyes! This is even more detailed and realistic than a painting!"

"And it took so much less time. This device will be able to capture historical moments in real time and be accessible to all ponies."

"That's just amazing. You have my deepest compliments, sir."

"Thank you, your highness."

Turning towards Applejack, Magicon said, "Applejack, get this stallion a patent immediately. His invention is one-of-a-kind and will radically change Equestria for the better."

Many times Magicon was like this after seeing the new inventions. It was one of the main highlights of Magicon's dream: the advancement of Equestria. With Celestia's death came the liberation of science and technology. An industrial revolution had been ushered in thanks to Magicon. Though new problems arose, like pollution and worker safety, Magicon was nonetheless happy to see everything going so well.

He conveyed his happiness through Pinkie who talked to the Press and gave reporters the latest updates from the government as well as answering their questions. With more technology came more newspapers which demanded more reporters. Pinkie, dressed in a very bright and sparkly pink suit, happily obliged and was soon bouncing around from reporter to reporter, question to question, answering all of them in the best way possible. She never lost her happiness and she was an excellent source of information for Magicon.

"Magicon, a reporter from the Hoofington Chronicle wants your opinion on the new Hoofington Railway Terminal," asked Pinkie in Magicon's office.

"Tell him or her that the Railway Terminal is a beautiful building and combines practical function with elegant form. Ponies will feel rejuvenated and welcomed when they arrive in the station."

"The Stalliongrad Dispatch wants to know if anything is being done about the recent coal mining accident in the nearby mountains."

"The Department of State's Mining and Worker Safety Commission is already investigating the cause of the collapse and what can be done to ensure that it never happens again. They will issue their report once everything has been investigated and deemed safe to operate."

"Here's something from Ponyville," Pinkie squealed.

"Oh Ponyville? What is it?"

"It's a gossip article."

"Oh, Pinkie, you know I don't do gossip."

"I know but I think you'll want to answer this question. She wants to know where you got your cape."

"My cape?"

"Yes, sir."

"It was…a gift. A birthday present from an old friend."

"Can you be more specific?"

"No, I can't Pinkie and that's a sensitive topic. Drop it."

"Okey Dokey Lokey," she smiled and resumed her next round of questions until Magicon either wore out or Pinkie ran out of questions, the former being much more common. Only certain days resulted in many questions, but Pinkie had managed well with the reporters. She had managed to befriend them and gently persuade them to drop their personal questions toward Magicon and focus on policy. She had an uncanny gift for doing that, pleasing Magicon immensely.

But for Fluttershy it was a different story. The task of preserving Equestria's health proved to be a difficult one. With the new factories and industrialization ponies were getting sick or injured from their pollution and their unsafe conditions, worrying hospitals across Equestria.

"Umm…Magicon, sir?" Fluttershy, who refused to wear any clothes, asked while he was seated in her office.

"Yes, Fluttershy?" he asked as he turned his attention towards her and away from the office. There were way too many plants and animal portraits to his liking. It looked like nature worked here, not the head of the Department of Health and Safety

"I need…uh…you to get Parliament to pass an Anti-Pollution Law."

"Why can't you do that yourself? You can go before Parliament and ask for it."

"Oh no, I can't go before that many ponies. They'll stare at me and ask too many questions and I'll just get too nervous."

Magicon didn't bother arguing with her, he had tried and failed too many times in the past.

"Fine," he grumbled. "What is the new law and why do we need it?"

"Did you read the recent newspapers from Baltimare?"

"About the river?"

"Exactly. Factories along the river are deliberately dumping their wastes and other toxins into the river, killing fish and ruining the ecosystem of the river and its inhabitants. Ponies live along that river and the toxins are causing illness and hospital admittance rates to skyrocket."

"And you want me to ask Parliament to create a law that punishes those who pollute rivers?"

"Yes, please. They serve a vital function to the irrigation of farms and forests and life in all of Equestria."

"You bring up a valid point, Fluttershy. You do realize that will mean more on your part to oversee the law?"

"I know, but once hospital rates decrease and the rivers clean up we can decrease our role."

Magicon was silent as he weighed the pros and cons. "Alright, Fluttershy. During my next weekly address to Parliament I'll ask for an Anti-Pollution law."

"Thank you, Magicon."

Polluted rivers was just one the unexpected things that came from Magicon's reforms. In order to stop the pollution and prevent it Magicon had to increase the size of the government, hiring more ponies and creating more offices to oversee Equestria. The cost had risen, meaning higher taxes on ponies, mostly the rich, who grumbled about it without end.

For the old nobles, taxes were the last straw. Not only was Equestria breaking with so many traditions but a new breed of ponies was rising. These so called "robber-barons" were not from rich families or mired in centuries of nobility. They had made their fortunes thanks to their ingenuity and hard-work. Royal blood didn't matter to them; time and money did. Traditions meant nothing; unless it gave them more wealth and influence. The old nobles scoffed at these ponies and refused to admit them into their inner circles. Yet with the changing times the old nobles realized they would be the last of their kind and agreed to go with quiet dignity and grace; maintaining thee traditions and old glory of Equestria.

Rarity, dressed in her most elegant and regal self, sympathized with them and consoled them to the best of her ability. She naturally fit into her role and quickly became known throughout the circle as Magicon's best and only wise decision. She never told Magicon the complaints of the nobles; he had no interest in hearing about it. She shared their complaints with Princess Cadance who only sat in silence, never opening her mouth to object or comment on anything. Princess Cadance continued to attend the court despite Rarity's presence and though she had not objected to it, she was concerned.

"Magicon, permit me to ask you a question?"

"You can cease the formalities, Rarity, we're alone. You can be informal with me." The two of them were in the Dining Hall just after lunch. Rarity had pulled him aside and wanted to discuss something with him.

"Alright, if you insist. Why is Cadance still attending her courtly duties?"

"Is she not allowed to?"

"No, she certainly is. But I'm worried about her. She doesn't see quite herself."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean she doesn't complain, doesn't even respond to my suggestions. She just acts like a machine."

"That's not the Cadance I know."

"And what's more, she's become completely oblivious to Shining Armor. Like, the other night, we were talking and I asked if she ever heard from him and she just shrugged like she didn't care. Shining Armor is her husband for pony's sake. Yet she acts like he's just another pony."

"That is…unexpected."

"Unexpected? It's downright dreadful. What's happened to our beloved Cadance?"

"I have no idea, but have you tried talking to her?"

"Many times and yet nothing. Every time I bring up Shining Armor she just becomes robotic. And I swear I can sense some magical energy around her when I try probing into her thoughts and feelings about Shining Armor."

"She knows," he mumbled.

"What was that?"

"Umm…I mean she goes. She just goes around doing her duty, like everypony in the government. She's just taking it to an extreme."

"I agree. Do you think you can talk to her? Maybe she'll respond better to you."

"I'll do my best," he lied. "Thank you for bringing this to my attention, Rarity. You better go before the noble's gossip about you too."

"Oh yes," she managed and quickly departed the hall leaving Magicon alone.

"She knows, or at least suspects, about the hex. Its effects are stronger than I thought. And they're starting to become permanent. Magical hexes can only be detected by unicorns and only then can they be detected if they are strong or becoming permanent. I have to talk to Cadance and get Rarity off her trail. She's the smartest of the group. If she manages to discover what happened with Cadance, Celestia knows where it will lead her afterwards. I will not have the Elements of Harmony turn against me. Rarity must get off the trail."

He rushed out of the Dining Hall, his cape flourishing behind him. He rushed out and directly bumped into Rainbow Dash, both of them falling backwards. Rubbing his head he looked over and saw Rainbow doing the same. She was wearing the newly designed cloth military uniform and she looked dashing in it.

"Lieutenant Dash, oh you must forgive me, I'm so sorry." He extended his hoof to help her as she dusted off her outfit.

"You need to watch where you're going, Magicon," she grunted.

"I'm sorry. I'm just in a rush."

"Aren't we all?"

"That depends, what are you doing?"

"I was going to headquarters and check on the daily reports of Equestria. Where were you going?"

"I was heading to the Throne Room. I need to speak with Princess Cadance."

"Ah, very good then." She began walking in the opposite direction before Magicon called to her.

"Rainbow Dash?"

She sighed and walked back towards the stallion. "Magicon, you know I don't like to be called that when I'm in uniform."

"Sorry, but I have to ask you something?"

"What is it?"

"How are you fairing with your role?"

"Just fine, sir."

"Be honest with me."

"I am."

Magicon looked at her with concerned eyes. "Are you sure?"

"Completely, sir."

"Alright, carry on then."

"You too, your highness."

Out of the five that came back to Canterlot Rainbow Dash seemed to have changed the most. She no longer seemed her crazy athletic and arrogant self. She was quieter, more prim and proper, and militaristic.

"The Royal Guard must have really done a number on her," he said to himself as he watched her depart. Once she rounded a corner Magicon turned towards the Throne Room, knowing what lay inside and hating every second of it.

"His Royal Highness, the Prince of Equestria!" a Royal Guard announced as Magicon entered the hall. He put on his formal and regal posture as he slowly walked in, not making eye contact with anypony.

The nobles were silent as they watched him slowly climb the steps and take a seat in his throne. He knew what they were thinking, but he didn't care. Once seated Magicon glanced over the crowd and motioned for Rarity and Cadance to come near him.

"Whenever you're ready," Rarity whispered.

Magicon simply nodded and turned towards Cadance.

"I need to speak with you later," he whispered.

"Very good, your highness."

He ushered them aside and, clearing his throat, rose from his throne.

"Greetings, fellow citizens," his voice echoed through the hall. "It is a wonderful time to see you all and meet with you. Some of you have come from far and wide; others have visited everyday. Whatever the case, I must thank you all for coming and am glad to see your devotion to Equestria and its government. At this time I will entertain your complaints, give my blessings, and do whatever I can to help you all. If you would all kindly form a single line, we'll get started."

They did so, but only the ponies who actually wanted to speak to him. The nobles simple closed their eyes, held their heads high, and walked out, no longer supportive of their ruler. Rarity chased after them, desperate to please them and to engage herself in their circle while Cadance remained at Magicon's side.

"Figures," Magicon said to himself as he motioned the ponies forward and began doing what he could for them. Somehow, he felt better without the nobles glaring him down, just waiting for him to mess-up. Common ponies were really his favorites. They had real problems and needed real help and he was more than happy to give it. They were also the best way he could tell if he was doing goof for Equestria. He would always ask the question, "What do you think of the new Equestria?"

"I love it."

"It's good, but could be better."

"It's alright."

"It's a little too fast for my liking."

"It should probably stop now."

"I liked it when Celestia and Luna were still alive."

He always received a variety of answers, some good and some bad. He knew that his reforms were getting mixed opinions but the results were still there. Equestria was modernizing and Magicon loved it. Everything was going perfectly, just perfectly.