• Published 11th Jun 2012
  • 1,534 Views, 83 Comments

Internal Darkness - Silver Sorcerer



All the Magic, mystery, and murder a pony can ask for in the gleaming spires of Canterlot. Enjoy!

  • ...
10
 83
 1,534

Chapter 17

Disclaimer: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic and all associated characters, settings and stories are the rightful subjects of Hasbro, the HUB, Studio B, and Lauren Faust.

Chapter 17

Magicon had been correct; the day had been long. Between his advisors, ambassadors, nobles, and regular ponies Magicon almost found himself at wits end with the demands of Equestria. Among the many things he did during the day, the worst was giving the speech to everypony about Princess Luna's suicide, the now natural raising of the sun and moon, and his ascension of the throne. While Magicon was proud of two of those three things, he promised to himself that he would treat Luna with the respect she deserved.

A small and private funeral would be held for her, the way she would've wanted it. After that she would be entombed with her sister in the new mausoleum that was being erected in the gardens, a fitting public tribute to the dead princesses. They were gone and it was Magicon who had to rule Equestria and he loved it.

His arrogance and pride grew with each passing hour as everypony suddenly came to him for advice, his signature, his sympathy, and his wisdom. He was the new Celestia and he would do things Celestia would never do. Today was not the day, though, to change Equestria. Today was to reestablish order and assert his authority over the kingdom. In time change would come and his subjects would thank him for it. But today was to tie up the loose ends and meet ponies.

Among the ponies that he was to meet was a lone white unicorn stallion very much curious about Magicon and certain events surrounding him. Shining Armor was on edge for most of the day. Magicon did what he could to avoid him, an easy task given the state of affairs, which upset Shining. Yet his military duty reminded him to be patient and focus on his duties. He had to keep order and control in the Royal Guard. Drills were practiced, weapons polished, and orders given to every member in the Royal Guard. They also had to formally remove Princess Luna's body into a fitting coffin for her upcoming funeral. It was a sad and difficult process; one that Shining took no pleasure in supervising.

He thought of Princess Luna and how she had returned to Equestria alongside her sister and how awkward she was in her first days. She learned over time, with Magicon and Celestia's assistance, to function normally in modern Equestria. He would miss her, just like he missed Princess Celestia. He thought of her too and his sister, Twilight.

'I hope they found her. Celestia only knows if they did. I do hope she is okay. I feel disgusting for abandoning her but what choice did I have? They needed me here and I couldn't abandon my duty, even for family. But Twilight is in good hooves. Her friends will find her and take care of her. They've known her even…even better than I do.

'Dear Celestia! What am I thinking? Am I really that bad of a brother? Do I really not know my younger sister? I should've been a better brother. I should've paid more attention to her. I should've visited her more. If I did maybe none of this would've happened. Maybe Twilight would be here with me and we would be helping and supporting each other. What has happened to me? Have I really become that obsessed with my duty that I'm ignoring my family? Have I been ignoring Cadance? Where is she now, anyway? Wait, I know that. She's out trying to build morale though I doubt Magicon's announcement has helped that in any way.'

Shining Armor sighed at his thoughts. He had too many unanswered questions and the pony he wanted the answers from was just too busy to focus on them. He had turned down his lunch request, offering only the explanation that he had too many meetings to attend, and had avoided his prying eyes. Something in Shining Armor told him that Magicon was hiding something but he had no idea what and had no idea on how to pry it from him. Magicon had many secrets, only a few of which Shining actually knew but he was determined to know more.

When the sun finally set and Magicon finished his last committee meeting for the day he retired to his chamber, had dinner brought up to him, and allowed himself a moment's relaxation before hearing a knock on the door.

Opening it, Magicon was pleased and relieved to see Starry Skies before him, a beaming smile on his face.

"I will be brief, Magicon, but I would just like to inform you that the moon has risen."

"Thank Celestia. And on time?"

"Just like if Princess Luna had done it herself. Your spell worked perfectly."

"Oh, thank Celestia. Well, thank you Starry. I'll see you tomorrow then."

That was a huge burden lifted off his shoulders. His spell had worked, The Doctor had succeeded, and now Equestria had truly returned to normalcy. He was so relieved that it had worked even better than his expectations. He was sure the sun would rise just like the moon, but he couldn't be too sure. The only way to know for certain would be to sleep and wait until the morning. But a loud knock on the door told him that sleep would have to wait.

Opening it, Magicon looked and saw Shining Armor standing directly before him, his face stern and determined. Instantly Magicon knew why he was here and what he wanted. The feelings and memories rushed back to him. That night, that adventure, a night he would never forget and then the truth afterwards. Magicon had promised himself that he would make Shining Armor pay, but was now the appropriate time? Only their conversation would determine that.

"Good evening, Magicon."

"Good evening, Shining."

"May I come in?"

"Certainly."

He entered with military swiftness as Magicon closed the door behind him and sealed it with a magical soundproof barrier, unbeknownst to Shining.

"I assume you know why I'm here."

"Yes," Magicon grumbled.

"Would you care to enlighten me on what occurred that night?"

"Well, first let me tell you that I went to see a psychologist when you recommended and I'm not crazy."

"Well that's a relief. So tell me, what happened?"

"I…I don't know, Shining. It's not exactly the most comfortable of subjects to talk about."

"I'm willing to hear it."

"Are you sure?"

"Absolutely."

"Look, can't we talk about this another time?"

"No, Magicon! We're going to talk about this now whether you like it or not!"

"Well then!" said Magicon taken aback. "Fine, Shining Armor, if you want to know the truth then here it is. Firstly those night guards are correct. You arrived in Canterlot that night and proceeded directly to this room and I let you in."

"So, I did? But I don't remember any of it."

"Well, that's because your memory was…erm…how can I put this nicely…erased?"

"Erased? By whom?"

"Shining, why don't I just show you? It would a lot easier and answer many of your questions. But you must not think any less of me by what I am about to show you, okay?"

"Alright, Magicon. I trust you. Now show me."

"Very well." Magicon's horn began glowing and a purple mist appeared and surrounded Shining Armor's head.

"Magicon, what's going on?"

"Just trust me, Shining. This won't hurt you."

Magicon continued with the spell as Shining Armor felt more uncomfortable with it. He felt awkward, tense, guilty, and then pleasure. Then shock and desperation, and then nothing. The spell suddenly punctured his mind and the memories and emotions flooded back to him. He put a hoof to his head as the mist dissipated. He suddenly remembered everything: their conversations, their emotions, their feelings, and their shared experiences.

Shining Armor shook his head id disbelief. "Ma…Magicon…did we really?"

"Oh yes we did and we loved it."

"Oh my Celestia! How could I be reduced to this?"

"Reduced?! Don't forget, Shining, that it was you who seduced me!"

"I know and how could I be so stupid? What will Cadance think?"

"She won't ever know. Nopony will ever know."

"But those photographers and reporters?"

"All of them can't remember what they had for dinner that night much less you and me."

"We can't keep this a secret."

"Oh, I think we can."

"Are you insane?"

"Me insane? Ha! Am I not the one who wanted it and ignored their duty to have some fun?"

"You are."

"No, Shining. You seduced me. It's all your fault."

"But…but you had feelings too?"

"But I put them aside for my duty."

"And in turn you became bitter and unpleasant. You couldn't have me so you would make me life more unpleasant by arguing with me on everything."

"Excuse me!" exclaimed Magicon.

"That's right, you couldn't have me and when you finally did it all went wrong."

"Went wrong? Did you not enjoy it? Did you not feel the passion and love there? Do you not love me?"

"It was a mistake. Those feelings are gone. We removed them that night. It was a one time thing."

"No, Shining! You and I still have feelings for each other!"

"No, I don't! Maybe you do but I don't and I'm not going to tarnish my reputation any further. I'm already an unfaithful husband and I will not succumb to anymore of your schemes. You ruined me."

Magicon was dumbfounded. Here was his lover, the pony he had had so much fun with now turning him down, rejecting him for that damn alicorn.

"Shining, what has happened to you?"

"The truth, that's what. I could ask you the very same question. You have many secrets, Magicon, most of them dark. You may be able to hide it from everypony but you can't hide it from me. I know you. You made yourself weak and you have exposed yourself. You're nothing but a lying, manipulative, seducing, backstabbing coltcuddler!"

Magicon's mouth fell to the floor. His lover had turned on him. Those feelings that they shared that night suddenly morphed into feelings of bitterness and resentment.

"Shinning, I-"

"And what's more, you not only seduced me, you set the whole thing up!"

"Shining, now why would I do that?"

"I don't know. I'm not the evil mastermind here."

"Evil? Evil, you say." Magicon chuckled to himself. He spoke with his deeper and colder voice, "You know something, Shining, I never considered myself evil. I am merely doing what I've been asked to do by my master and the masters before him."

"What in Celestia's name are you talking about?"

Again, Magicon chuckled, a wicked smile on his face, "Why, the murders of Princess Celestia and Princess Luna, of course."

Now it was Shining's turn to drop his jaw. His former lover had not only seduced and hurt him but also murdered the two beloved princesses.

"You're not Red-Blood, are you?"

Magicon let out a full maniacal laugh. "You know, Celestia asked that very same question when she was dying. It's really quite funny. But no, Shining. I am not Red-Blood. He died centuries ago but he had followers who passed on and carried his memory and aims through the centuries. I am just the latest one."

"Magicon…how could you?"

"Well, from my foalhood, of course. I've had a black mark on me ever since my mother's death. It was only by some lucky chance that my own master, that old gentlepony, found me, took me in, and taught me everything about Celestia and Red-Blood. I vowed to make things right in Equestria and I have succeeded!"

"No. You haven't," said Shining Armor defiantly. "You may have murdered the princesses in cold blood, seduced me, and clawed your way up the social and political ladder, but now that you have revealed your true past, I can protect Equestria from you!"

Shining Armor charged and cast a spell at Magicon who blocked it with his own. The duel had begun and only one victor could emerge. The fate of Equestria hung in the balance as the two former friends and lovers fought for Equestria.

Shining Armor played offensive, throwing spells and charging at Magicon who played defensive, dodging those spells and taking cover behind objects in his room.

Paralysis spells, knock-out spells, shield spells, and countless others were cast as one tried to gain an advantage over the other. The enchantments kept flying as they dueled for Equestria. The future of Equestria would be determined right here. On one side fought the Equestria of truth, purity, and of old traditions. On the other fought the Equestria of lies, manipulation, and progress. Old versus new. Truth versus deceit. Black versus white. It all came down to these two fighting stallions.

After seeing his furniture turn into broken pieces of wood and ash heaps Magicon realized that he had nothing to hide behind. He couldn't fight against Shining Armor on the same playing field. Shining was too well-skilled and too experienced with fighting magic. Magicon began calculating a way he could change that field, bring it to his advantage. A sudden idea popped into his head.

"You think you can stop me, Shining Armor? Well, you can't! I can never be stopped! I am Magicon! Ruler of Equestria and Lord of Darkness!"

Just then, Magicon jumped into the air, telekinetically grabbed his book, and skillfully landed beside his broken bed. Shining Armor roared and charged directly at him. With no time to cast a pure curse, Magicon instead quickly cast a black mist that shrouded the room in darkness. Shining Armor was blinded and instantly stopped. He cast a light spell but it only showed minimal light before fading into the darkness.

"Come out and fight like a real stallion, Magicon!" called Shining Armor.

"Oh, now why would I do that?" said Magicon, his body invisible, but his voice penetrating like ice cold water. "It's much more fun to see you fight your way through this." He laughed manically.

"You're a coward!"

"Coward? Oh no, Shining. I'm merely providing you with a great challenge to finding me. I'm still here in this room, but you'll never find me. You don't even know what this spell does, do you?"

"I do."

"Oh, you're such a bad liar, Shining. You have no idea what this does. You see the greatest strength to dark magic is that nopony knows its potential and the ways it affects a pony."

"Then what is it going to do? All I see is darkness."

"And that's all you'll see. You see, Shining, you've been thrust into an ancient book of dark magic. The book contains the last living spirit of Red-Blood and his followers. Oh, he's going to have a lot of fun with you."

Just then Shining felt something wet fall on his back. Glowing his horn and turning around he saw that it was a drop of blood followed by a few more. Glancing up, he was shocked to see a headless pony chained above him. The blood was trickling down its side and landing directly on Shining Armor's back. Shivering from the grotesque scene Shining walked forward from the headless pony. He then saw a single candle floating above him.

He stood beneath it and looked around. All around him was darkness, except for this small, unwavering candle. Then Shining Armor heard a scream and a pony feel right to the floor in front of him, blood seeping from its wounds across its body. Shining jumped back and walked backwards until he felt another pony. Jumping and turning around he saw another one with its horn pulled right from its forehead, blood trickling down in think lines down its face.

Shining Armor quickly walked away from the pony attempting to calm his nerves and make sense of what was going on.

"This can't be real. This is all in my head. Magicon is doing this. He's making all of this happen."

"Oh no, Shining Armor," said a voice behind him. "This hast been fabricated by me for the ponies that interfere with my plans."

Shining Armor recognized the voice and a cold chill instantly ran down his spine. Gritting his teeth, he slowly turned his head; afraid of what he knew was right behind him. The sight made him scream. Right behind him stood Red-Blood, clearer than even Celestia's flashbacks, the cuts and bruises all over his body and wearing the wickedest and evilest smile Shining Armor had ever seen. But it was what was in that mouth is what scared Shining Armor the most. A single blood-soaked dagger rested in his teeth, the blade pointing directly at Shining Armor.

Not even thinking, Shining galloped for his life. He had to escape. He had to get out of here. He had to save Equestria. As he ran he saw the darkness fade away into a dark corridor, a few torches lining the hallways. Not stopping to see if he was being followed, Shining kept running until he reached a large and wooden door. Banging on it senselessly, he forced it open and slammed it shut behind him.

He was in a large room, the gray stones lining the walls and floor. Above him hung the stars and the moon, quiet and peaceful as ever. There were no other doors in the chamber and the windows were closed, their glass protecting him from whatever evil lay outside.

Letting out a long sigh of relief, Shining Armor took a moment to rest and catch his breath. Nopony was there except him and it was deadly quiet. Then he heard something, the sound of a struggle. The windows on one side of the room flung open and showed Princess Celestia sitting in her study, the sunlight streaming on her face. Then he saw her eyes open with terror and collapse onto the floor as he saw a dagger pierce her side. He couldn't hear what she said but he guessed that she was horrified to learn the truth and realize that this was her final moments.

Then she fell to the floor, her eyes shut as the blood continued to seep from her. Then he saw the room spin stopped on Magicon's face with a wicked smile. Organ music suddenly started, dark, ominous, and scary. It had no source but pierced his ears worse than any military order.

Shaking his head in a defiant manner, Shining Armor turned around to see the other windows opened, Princess Luna sitting there, her eyes closed. She looked so calm and peaceful, like the beautiful night she created. Then a rope surrounded her neck and he was hoisted into the air, struggling to break free until she was limp and lifeless. Again the room spun and stopped on Magicon's face with that wicked smile.

Shaking his head and saying "No" to himself repeatedly, Shining Armor backed away from the windows and looked for an escape as the organ continued to play. Then a few candles came down from the open ceiling and hovered over the room. Then blood began to rise from the floor, like a slow flood, and Shining scrambled to avoid it. But he couldn't. The floor was level and there was nowhere for him to go. He cast his signature defensive spell which obeyed him and expelled the blood from his small protective bubble.

But the blood continued to rise and when it was halfway up the walls of his shield, Shining Armor started seeing something rise from it. No, not something, it was somepony. They had no eyes, a huge opening on their forehead, and bones sticking out from their sides. Shining gasped as he realized that these were the dead alicorns that Red-Blood had maliciously murdered more than a millennium ago. They moved slowly towards them, their mouths agape and blood flowing out as the tide continued to rise.

Shining Armor now desperately wished he had wings so he could fly and escape all of this. His shield might be able to keep the alicorns out but he didn't want to stay and find out. Now surrounded by the dead alicorns Shining realized he only had one choice, regardless of how sick and twisted it was: he had to fight. He had to kill them. He had to escape.

Summoning whatever courage he had, he dropped his shield and the blood immediately filled in soaking his coat and mane. But he didn't care; he had to fight. He had to save himself and save Equestria. He began casting spells at the alicorns who fell down, only to get up again and walk towards him. Putting more energy into it he cast the spells once again and the alicorns were pushed back to the edge of the room. But the blood continued to rise and was now at level with his mouth. He tried to keep his head above it but he would soon drown in it. He wasn't swimming in this, he couldn't. Suddenly realizing though, there was a way out. Focusing one last spell, he cast it at the windows of Celestia and Luna and, in a loud explosion, they shattered. The blood spilled out of them allowing Shining Armor to fall back to hard surface of the floor.

He was exhausted and he didn't want to fight anymore. Yet through his tired eyes he saw a dark blue cape hanging in the corner of the room. Knowing who that cape belonged to and knowing that there might be a chance to escape, Shining Armor charged at it, jumped, and grabbed it just as it teleported away. He held on for dear life as he landed in a dark and grassy field. The cape fluttered down before him and Magicon quickly emerged from it. It had torn slightly on the bottom and when Magicon saw it he looked at Shining Armor with fire in his eyes.

"Nopony touches my cape!" he said angrily as his horn began charging with magical energy.

But Shining Armor knew what he was doing. While Magicon charged his horn, Shining quietly snuck forward and punched him in the face. Magicon fell and felt his lip dripping with blood only to see Shining Armor on top of him punching merciless at his face and body. Magicon desperately tried to teleport but with Shining's body firmly planted on top of him and punching away, Magicon couldn't. The grass was falling away as the punching continued and he felt himself black out.

Realizing that he couldn't lose this way Magicon summoned whatever strength he had left and blasted himself and Shining Armor out of the book and rolling in separate directions on the floor of his savaged chamber.

Rising, Magicon looked around and saw he was back in his room, the ancient book opened and bruises on his face and body from Shining. Looking at the other edge of the book stood a bloodied, dirty, and quite scary Shining Armor. He rose and looked directly at Magicon and was about to cast a curse when Magicon quickly took down the soundproof barrier and called,

"Guards! Guards! Help me!"

The two Royal Guards burst through the door and stood with opened jaws at the scene before them. The room was a mess with destroyed and burnt furniture. Magicon was standing at one end, bruised and bloodied, while Shining Armor was at the other. With his bloodied and dirty hoofs and coat, he looked deranged. He was about to cast a spell at Magicon who cowered in fear.

The guards realizing what was about to happen and jumped into action, casting a shield to protect them and Magicon just as Shining Armor cast his curse. The spell evaporated at the shield and the guards wasted no time in charging at Shining Armor and tackling him to the ground. Bounding his hoofs and holding his horn, they quickly subdued their captain.

They were silent in the work as Magicon quickly made his way over to them.

"Take your hooves off me!" yelled Shining Armor. "As your captain, I order you to do as instructed! I'll have you court-martialed for this!"

"I'm afraid they no longer work for you, Shining Armor. You see, you may be the Captain of the Guard but all guardsponies take an oath to protect the Ruler of Equestria at all costs, including stopping you."

Shining Armor stared at Magicon in utter disbelief.

"You disgusting, sneaky, and hurtful pony! I'll-Oww!" Shining Armor felt a pull on his horn as the guard pony forced him silent.

"Shining Armor, Ex-Captain of the Royal Guard," said Magicon, "You are hereby under arrest for assaulting and attempting to kill the current Ruler of Equestria and treason. Take him away."

The guards did as instructed as a stunned Shining Armor was dragged out of the room and down to the ancient dungeons. He screamed "no" the entire way.

Once they left, Magicon said to himself, "I'm not sorry, Shining. I'm not sorry."