• Published 11th Jun 2012
  • 1,542 Views, 83 Comments

Internal Darkness - Silver Sorcerer



All the Magic, mystery, and murder a pony can ask for in the gleaming spires of Canterlot. Enjoy!

  • ...
10
 83
 1,542

Chapter 10

Disclaimer: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic and all associated characters, settings and stories are the rightful subjects of Hasbro, the HUB, Studio B, and Lauren Faust.

Chapter 10

Their train finally pulled into the last station before crossing the Equestrian border. Agreeing that it would be better to find Twilight and avoid attention to themselves, they disembarked and agreed to finish the journey on hoof. They stood on the platform and watched the train leave them behind in a cloud of steam and smoke. Other than the six of them, the platform was devoid of any other ponies.

The air had a different feel in this section of Equestria. It was colder, gustier, and lighter. At this elevation, they realized that finding Twilight was going to be a slower process. The presence of snow didn’t help the matter. They wondered how one single pony managed to even get this far and this high without succumbing to the elements or the natural dangers of the mountains.

The mountains of Northern Equestria were known for their inhabitability and the dangers they presented to most ponies. The Griffon Kingdoms were known for high mountains, gusty winds, and cold climates. It defended the Kingdom’s scenic and unspoiled interior allowing the Griffons to maintain their independence from most of the world. Yet it was those high mountains that trained the griffons in their exceptional flight skills and even some of the Pegasi from Equestria trained in these mountains and challenged Griffons to races; something Rainbow Dash knew all too well. Even though they weren’t in the Kingdom itself this area of Equestria didn’t feel like the Equestria they knew.

But the six were not here to admire the scenery or challenge any griffons to races; they were here to find and help their friend. Gazing out over the snow-capped mountains Shining Armor took a deep breath. His sister was somewhere here, alone, probably half-insane, and starving. He was going to find her no matter the cost. While standing there, Applejack trotted up beside him and stared out over the landscape as well.

“Ya’ know ya’ can’t do this alone.”

Shining Armor was slow in his response, “I know, Applejack, and I thank you and your friends for coming.”

“Excuse me!” Rainbow Dash exclaimed. “Don’t forget mister, that it was you who joined us! And why did you decide to come with us anyway? Are you a spy? Whoa-”

Rainbow Dash felt a sharp tug on her tail as she turned around to see Applejack pulling her back from Shining Armor who wore a stern face.

“Calm your horseshoes, Rainbow,” stated Applejack. “There ain’t nothin’ ta get all worked up ‘bout.”

“Applejack’s right, Rainbow darling,” Rarity stated. “Shining Armor cares deeply about his sister just like Applejack and I care about our siblings. It’s only natural for him to go to the ends of Equestria, quite literally in this case, to help his family. We would do the same.”

“Twilight is also our friend who has done so for us,” Fluttershy quietly added. “What kind of friends would we be if we just left her alone forever?”

Everypony, excluding Shining Armor, quickly turned to Pinkie Pie expecting her to shout or angrily whisper “forever” but Pinkie retained her silence and stared at the snow, her straight hair blowing in the wind.

“Well then, I suggest we get a move on before this wind ruins my mane,” Rarity remarked.

“Don’t ya’ think we got bigger things ta worry ‘bout than your dang mane?” Applejack reprimanded.

“Oh course, Applejack. I’ve got to worry about my coat and my hooves. This snow will terribly ruin them both. That’s why I took the liberty of packing all of your boots and scarves and other items to keep warm. No sense in finding Twilight if we freeze to death.” She telekinetically wrapped herself in her own winter garments which beautifully accented every detail on her body.

Applejack let out a grunt and stated, “Ah meant ‘bout findin’ Twilight.”

While Rarity tinged in embarrassment Fluttershy asked, “Um…Shining Armor, sir…which way did Twilight go?”

“According to my guards, she was slowly wandering those mountains over…there,” he gestured his hoof to a group of snow-capped mountains off in the distance.

“Oh, they seem so far away,” remarked Fluttershy.

“Easy for you to say,” comment Rarity. “You can fly. You don’t have worry about weary and dirty hooves. Eww.” She shuddered at the thought.

“Oh come off your high horse, Rarity,” Rainbow Dash criticized. “At least you have your magic so you can levitate or float to rest your hooves. Think how bad it’ll be for AJ and Pinkie Pie. They’ll have to walk the entire way and who knows how long it will take to get there.”

“Girls, please,” exclaimed Shining Armor. “If we have any chance of finding and helping Twilight then we better get moving now.”

He walked off the platform heading directly towards those mountains as the other five followed.

“Don’t worry, Twilly,” he whispered to himself. “We’ll find you, I promise.”
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Magicon didn’t bother with sleep that night. He was too gleeful over his immediate accession to the throne. His mind also raced with thoughts of his success in Luna’s death and the implications from it, making sleep impossible, even if he tried. He didn’t bother thinking to himself; it took too much focus. As a result he began talking to himself.

“I don’t wish there had been another way. It’s not that I didn’t mind killing Luna; it’s just that I wish it didn’t have to be a struggle. She should’ve killed herself and not forced me to do it. It still looks like a suicide but still. It just makes my job that much harder in covering up my own tracks as well as rule Equestria single-hoofedly. Red-Blood never stated what government would replace the Princesses so I might as well take that liberty in doing it for him. He would thank me for that.

“Alicorns were unnatural to Equestria. They came from a distant land and installed themselves above all other ponies. They ended the peaceful and harmonious relationship of the three tribes, Discord’s natural reign of Chaos, and plummeted Equestria into a tightly controlled state completely centered around them.

“I don’t blame Luna or Celestia for it, though. It wasn’t their fault. They came to Equestria as fillies and have no recollection of the revolution that their parents orchestrated. They changed Equestria in the name of the alicorns and not in the name of the ponies who were here first. I don’t know, nor does anypony know, what kind of Equestria would’ve existed had the alicorns never arrived but I know that it would’ve been a better and freer one, where ideas all of sorts could be shared and where the government was tolerant to all ponies.

“I will change that. I will make Equestria a freer and better society for everypony. Neither Red-Blood nor any of his followers ever had ambitions for the throne; well I’m changing that. I have single-hoofedly risen through the administration and surpassed the nobility and even the Royal Family to become the Ruler of all of Equestria! This throne that Celestia and Luna sat on for so long should’ve never belonged to them. It was never even meant to exist, but I digress. It doesn’t matter now; everypony will demand that somepony take over that throne and it is I who will answer that call. I will change Equestria for the better!

“I wish I could just remove all traces of Celestia’s and Luna’s existence; they already removed the existence of the alicorns. But, unfortunately, they left such a huge mark on Equestria that everypony adores them, disgusting. Removing their existence would not only be possible but impractical since everypony would notice and cry afoul with the change. Damn them for forcing me to honor and commemorate them for their heroism and dedication to Equestria. Dedication was there, unfortunately, but heroism? Ha! That’s just too good of a lie.

“Celestia wasn’t a hero to Equestria, she was a controlling tyrant. Sure she seemed nice in the public’s eye but to the private eyes she was anything but nice. She wouldn’t tolerate dissent, or even new ideas. She executed numerous ponies for it and she even banished her own sister who asked her to change her ways. True, Luna had gone about it the wrong way, turning to bitterness and her own ambitions rather than helping Equestria but her message was still there! And Celestia banished her! Her own sister! Yes, I understand why she did it, to supposedly save Equestria, but it was more like to rule Equestria with an iron hoof.

“Perhaps that’s why I enjoyed killing her; I avenged not only Luna but also the countless other ponies who stood up for change that Celestia mercilessly struck down.

“Well, no more of that. No more of that totalitarian government. No more of that tyrant. No more Celestia.”

Pacing around his room Magicon passed the hours by with these spoken thoughts waiting for everypony to notice no morning and no sun and the discovery of Luna who had committed “suicide”. But Magicon was focused on Celestia’s tyranny and his plans for a new Equestria. Ponykind would thank him one day for his leadership and his changes to Equestria as their new ruler. But they would never know what he had done to get there. How he had clawed his way to this position and how he had, unbeknownst to him, sold his soul in the process.

His secrets were hidden and with the suspicious ponies away from him, Magicon had the necessary time to cover his tracks and begin the process of changing and modernizing Equestria for the better. He already had some ideas but first he would have to play the part of mourning Luna just like he had to with Celestia. A boring role, yes; but a necessary one.
He knew the responsibility that came with ruling; he had already felt it but now he just wanted to move past Celestia and Luna and focus on himself and average ponies.

“Regular ponies, like myself, were meant to rule Equestria, not those alicorns. I am delivering what Red-Blood would’ve wanted. More than a millennium of work and preparation went into this and it was all worth it. Alicorns are now nearly extinct and Equestria can be brought to the Equestria that it should’ve always been.

“I should be thanked for this; celebrated even. Statues made in my honor, stories written about me, my presence demanded for every event in Equestria. Sadly none of that will happen. The problem with being secretive is that nopony can celebrate or thank me for my work, even after it has been completed. Such a shame, but the unfortunate circumstance of committing an action considered so evil that it scares most ponies. At least nopony will know the truth.”

“Wait, somepony does know; Shining Armor. His suspicious can’t be tolerated. The more digging he goes unto, the worse it’ll become for me. He controls the Royal Guard who will remain loyal to him and he can arrest me for treason if he finds out the real truth. He can usurp the throne and destroy what I’ve worked so hard to build. And his damned wife, Cadance, is still alive. He’ll put her on the throne and keep alicorns in control of Equestria. No! I won’t allow it. I will die before that happens. Though I barred myself from killing Cadance I wouldn’t want to anyway. Killing her would just raise even more suspicious and Shining Armor would be after me so quickly. Cadance must live so Shining Armor will lose his suspicious. Thank goodness Twilight took Celestia’s death horribly so that’ll keep him busy at least for the moment."

Gazing out his window into what should be the early morning Magicon hoped for the best for his friend and former love interest.

“Shining, do hurry back and be a good pony when you do. Don’t make me hurt you. I don’t want to end our friendship like I had to with the princesses. You’re a good pony and a good friend, don’t ruin it.”

Magicon could only hope and wait. Time was the key and he would have to be careful in using it. Glancing at the clock Magicon knew that the day was beginning but with no sun or moon, darkness shrouded Equestria. Many ponies would be confused and would wonder and worry about Princess Luna and her delay. They would look for her, find her, and discover her with those faces of horror.

Magicon allowed himself to sit for a moment on the edge of his bed and waited, simply waited. It wouldn’t be long now until somepony would find her and patience was the key. But the longer the waited, the longer the seconds ticked by. It was becoming unbearable. What felt like half-an-hour to Magicon was really only five minutes and what felt like an hour was fifteen minutes. It was excruciating and he almost went to Luna’s Chamber himself but resisted. It would be too suspicious if he discovered her by himself. He just had to wait.

He was exceedingly relieved when he heard a loud knock on the door. He didn’t know how long he had been waiting, but it didn’t matter now. Tightening the cloak around him and fixing his mane Magicon opened the door. Before him stood the Royal Astronomer, Starry Skies, with his weary eyes and elderly form.

He spoke in a hushed and crackled tone, “I hope I’m not disturbing you, Magicon, but this is a matter of great urgency. As you may have noticed, the moon has set but the sun has failed to rise. According to my observations and calculations the sun should be up by this time. We both know that Princess Luna should’ve raised the sun given the fact that she has done so after Celestia’s death. I was hoping you could shed some light on the matter.”

Magicon restored his original voice before he spoke, “Well it sounds like Princess Luna is neglecting her duty. She must be sleeping in. Is she in her chamber?”

“She might be, though it’s unconfirmed. She has not responded to knocking of any kind and we’ve searched the other places she’s likely to be and have not found her. The Royal Guards outside her door have stated that she went into her chamber last night and never left. They also stated that nopony disturbed the princess.”

“Have you noticed anything particularly unusual?”

“Yes. While examining the moon last night I noticed that its glow faded a tiny bit. That is unusual.”

Magicon nodded, “Interesting. Well now, we better head to Luna’s Chamber and resolve this matter.”

They were silent through the halls of the darkened palace. Only candles and torches lighted the hallways and they saw very few maids or servants, highly unusual for the standard morning routine. The guards that lined the hallways remained attentive and motionless as always but Magicon could tell they had a hint of worry in their faces.

When they arrived at the door to Luna’s Chamber they were greeted by a small crowd of maids, servants, and Royal Guards all gossiping about Luna and why she wasn’t raising the sun. When they saw Magicon their concerned faces slightly softened as he made his way through them and up to the door.

Leaning his ear against it, Magicon carefully listened for any sound coming from inside the room but heard nothing. He knocked a few times.

“Princess Luna? Are you in there? It’s me, Magicon. Could you please open the door? You have a job to do for Equestria, one that only you can do. Please open the door. If something is bothering you we can talk about it. Princess Luna?”

He waited knowing there would be no response. Sighing Magicon turned to the Royal Guards and asked, “She was in there all night?”

“Yes, sir.”

“She never left her room?”

“No, sir.”

“Nopony ever entered her room during the course of the night?”

“No, sir.”

“You were awake all night to notice this?”

“Yes, sir.”

“Was there any noises from inside the chamber?”

“We heard her talking inside. Whether it was to herself or another pony was unknown to us.”

Magicon nodded, “Right then. Since she most likely is in here and we can’t afford to wait any longer we have to take action now. Guards, break down the door.”

The guards turned to each other and to Magicon with confused expressions.

Noticing their hesitation Magicon repeated himself, “You heard me. Break down the door. As your ruler I demand that you fulfill your orders.”

The guards relented and did as instructed and began bucking the door. After loosening it Magicon ordered them to cease and stand aside. He walked up to the door and blasted it to pieces with his magic.

As the smoke from the blast cleared everypony began walking into the chamber. The candles were out, making the room pitch black forcing the unicorns to create light from their horns. From that light they saw a sight that made their blood curl.

Hanging from the ceiling was Princess Luna’s lifeless corpse. The maids screamed and ran out of the room, their screams echoing down the halls, while others just fainted. Everypony else just froze in horror as their last princess hung before them. Celestia had left just two weeks ago and now Luna had joined her in this apparent suicide. They were beyond disbelief, including Magicon who feigned his shock.

Overriding his feigned shock Magicon pointed his hoof towards the nearest guards, “You; get a doctor. You, get a detective. You, alert Shining Armor. You, seal the hallway. No pony is to enter the hallway without authorized permission.”

As the guards saluted and left the room to carry out their orders Magicon turned to the Starry Skies who was now wobbling on his hooves.

“Well, doctor, I think we can explain why our sun hasn’t risen and why it may never rise again.”
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Fluttershy woke with a start. She had never been a heavy sleeper but worrying about Twilight as well as her animals back in Ponyville was putting her on edge. Something also didn’t feel right though she couldn’t put her hoof on it.

Rising slowly from the blankets Fluttershy silently put on her scarf and boots and exited the small tent that she was sharing with Rarity. Shivering from the cold and snow on the ground, she pulled the scarf tighter around her and gazed out at the other tents and the starry sky. It was a beautiful night; one of the most beautiful she had ever seen. It was completely dark, no artificial lights, no clouds, and no noise other than the gentle wind rubbing against her.

Fluttershy never liked the dark but she felt much more comfortable with her friends here. Looking beyond the tents and towards the mountains, Fluttershy saw that she wasn’t the only pony awake. Pinkie Pie was sitting at the edge of the camp gazing at the sky, her straight mane gently blowing in the wind. Deciding to try and help her friend Fluttershy silently walked over to her.

“Umm…hi Pinkie.”

Pinkie Pie didn’t remove her gaze from the sky so Fluttershy went slowly and cautiously with her words.

“So…um…how are you?” This was uncomfortable for Fluttershy. She never was the leader in conversations so it was difficult for her to do this.

Pinkie remained silent and continued gazing at the stars.

Receiving no response Fluttershy sighed and said, “I guess you don’t want to talk, I’m sorry. I guess I’ll be leaving now.”

She rose and turned to walk back when she felt a small pull on her tail, like it was caught on something. Turning around, she saw Pinkie’s hoof firmly planted on it, her head still look upward.

“Uhh…Pinkie, I’m sorry but…I better umm…get back to camp. If you want to umm…you know…talk then we can but if you uhh…don’t then umm…please let me go.”

“I want to talk to you,” whispered Pinkie. Her voice was sore and quiet, probably because of her sobbing or trying to restrain it.

Still, Fluttershy was thankful for Pinkie actually talking and turned around and sat back down next her.

“So…umm…you want to talk?”

Pinkie shrugged.

Fluttershy was silent and uneasy but Pinkie wanted her here so she summed up so courage and spoke.

“Umm…listen Pinkie… I really don’t know how to say this so…I’m sorry if it comes out all wrong but…I want to help you. You’ve been this way since Celestia’s death and I know it’s tragic and devastating but umm…you still have the Cakes, Gummy, us, and all of Ponyville to be happy about. I know it hurts but you can’t let those sad feelings stop you from enjoying life. You need to be brave and strong.”

‘Dear Celestia! Did I really just say that?’ she thought.

For the first time Pinkie turned towards Fluttershy.

She spoke softly, “It’s not just Celestia, Fluttershy. It’s also our friend, Twilight. She just ran off and abandoned us.”

“Oh no, Pinkie. Twilight has it worse than us. Celestia was like a second mother to her so naturally her reaction would be worse than ours. But you shouldn’t think she just abandoned us like that. She didn’t. She was stressed and she thought the only way to handle it was by running away. We’re the bad ponies for letting it take her this far. We shouldn’t have let her gone out here so she wouldn’t be in danger right now.”

Pinkie sighed, “Yeah, I guess you’re right, Fluttershy.”

“You know what might help Twilight?”

Pinkie Pie shook her head.

“Umm…well…you know…a party?”

Pinkie Pie chuckled, “Yeah, a party.”

Seizing the moment Fluttershy said, “Nopony does parties like you, Pinkie. Remember all the great birthday parties and other things you did? Remember all the bright, happy, and smiling faces? Remember how everypony, especially you, had such a fun time at your parties?”

A small smile appeared on Pinkie’s face as she closed her eyes and reminisced about her parties and her friends. Such happy memories and such happy feelings. It made her feel warm inside.

Fluttershy noticed that Pinkie’s Mane was beginning to return to its curly and fluffy state when Pinkie’s Ears suddenly twitched and her mane fell back to its straight position.

She immediately opened her eyes and scanned the area.

“Somepony’s coming,” she said.

They both looked back at the camp but all was dark and quiet. Everypony was asleep. They encountered nopony on their journey so far so neither of them knew who was coming. Fluttershy shivered, from both the cold and Pinkie’s prediction. She continued to look around when she felt a tap on her shoulder.

Jumping a little bit Fluttershy was relieved to see it was only Pinkie who had tapped her. Pinkie was now staring at the sky again.

“Look up there,” she said while she pointed her hoof towards a lower corner of the sky.

Looking in the general direction Fluttershy regretted, “I’m sorry, Pinkie, but I don’t see anything.”

“Well, duh. That’s because you’re looking in the wrong spot. Look over there,” she brought Fluttershy close to her and pointed more accurately at that corner.

Fluttershy looked again and noticed two tiny pegasi growing larger.

“Pinkie, do you think…they are going…to hurt us?”

“If that was their intention then my Pinkie Sense would warn me. It hasn’t so I don’t think they will. Don’t panic, Fluttershy. We’ll just wait and see what they want.”

As they waited Fluttershy attempted to calm her nerves but the sight of two Pegasi growing larger and closer every second in the dark of the night was scary to her. But as they came closer Fluttershy noticed that they weren’t just ordinary Pegasi; they were Royal Guards.

Now within close range the Royal Guards made a quick landing behind the girls with a forceful thud kicking up snow. The allowed themselves a moments rest before approaching the two mares who immediately rose.

The older one, or what they thought was the older one, spoke crisply, “Mares, is this the location where Captain Shining Armor is residing at present?”

The girls nodded.

“Good. We have the most urgent of matters to discuss with him immediately. Bring us to him.”

“Of course,” Fluttershy responded and turned to show them towards the camp before Pinkie Pie shouted,

“Hold on! Why do you two need to see Shining Armor in the middle of the night? How did you find us? What is this “urgent matter” anyway? When-”

“Silence.” The younger one exclaimed. “It is not in our orders to share any information other than our captain at the present time. Now we are pressed for time so take us to Shining Armor or we’ll be forced to arrest you both.”

Fluttershy’s heart dropped as he said those words while Pinkie remained defiant.

“On what charges?”

“For obstructing guardsponies in the course of their duty. Now, for the last time, take us to Shining Armor.
Pinkie was about to yell ‘No’ again when Fluttershy, in a completely unexpected move, put a hoof to Pinkie’s mouth and talked to the guards.

“You’ll have to excuse my friend. I’m so sorry for her defiance but she’s not been herself recently. I’ll take you two to Shining Armor right now.”

She turned towards the camp with the guards leaving an angry Pinkie standing in the snow behind her.
When the arrived Fluttershy pointed to a small tent and stated, “You’ll find Shining Armor in there.”

“Thank you, fine mare.”

“Wait! Before you go inside, would it be too much trouble to ask what’s going on?”

The guards exchanged glances and the older one nodded allowing the younger one to speak, “Very well. Since you cooperated and you are with our Captain there is no harm in telling you what has occurred. You’ll find out eventually anyway. Something terrible has happened in Canterlot.”

He paused causing Fluttershy to ask, “What?”

“Princess Luna has committed suicide.”