• Published 9th Feb 2016
  • 14,623 Views, 1,896 Comments

The Story of Twilight Glow - Jeweled Pen



What if Twilight had been born an earth pony and not a unicorn? No school for gifted unicorns, no burst of magic when she got her cutie mark and, most importantly, no student of Celestia. What fate awaits Equestria?

  • ...
30
 1,896
 14,623

PreviousChapters Next
S1 CH 10. Tartarus

Twilight gave a light little squeak when they stood outside the massive black gates of Tartarus, leading into a tunnel. There was a chill in the air, one that had nothing to do with the night sky. Nightmare Moon looked around, a frown on her face. “Where... is he?”

“Who?” the earth pony asked. She looked to Dancer, who looked just as worried as her. Then the ground began to rumble. She looked up and then, on the other side of the gate, she saw it. A massive black dog with three heads racing through the tunnel. It towered over them, its body nearly as big as a building. When it came closer the gate began to open.

“Finally,” Nightmare Moon said, shaking her head. Twilight squeaked, while Dancer just looked relieved.

“We're just here for him?” the unicorn asked with a smile.

“SIT!” Nightmare Moon's voice boomed. The dog stopped short and then, a moment later, plopped down on the ground, its tongues sticking out as it panted excitedly. “You two, come.”

“W-we're not here for Cerberus?” Dancer asked weakly.

“Of course not, don't be foalish,” the alicorn said with a shake of her head. “He's barely even potty trained. Can't have our sister dealing with something like that, oh no. 'He has three heads and looks kind of scary, you take care of him'. We had more important things to do than deal with the bladder of some mutt!”

Nightmare Moon led them forward through the gates. Twilight jumped when they slammed behind her. It didn't look as bad as she expected. It was dark, but there were torches all around. Like some kind of massive cave. However, after a few moments they exited the tunnel and came to a wide, open area. The path didn't match it, merely a stony bridge over an infinite black void below. The path broke off into dozens of little paths, one of which Nightmare Moon walked across while the two followed.

Twilight wanted to be excited, in fact this was one of the places she had promised herself to one day visit. But she'd never thought she'd be coming here with the greatest tyrant Equestria had ever known. Or that she'd be intending to grab one of the creatures. The path slowly turned up into a great staircase that led up to a glowing blue light.

“What are we grabbing here?” Dancer asked softly, her voice only a whisper.

“You will see in a moment,” Nightmare Moon said with a chuckle. The metal binds trailed in the air behind her. “Worry not. This... creature is no threat to any of you. In fact... he'll be a loyal servant when we're through with him.”

Twilight gulped nervously, looking around. She peered over the edge of the path and quickly walked further from it, bumping into Dancer. The color had drained from her face and she gave a little shiver. There was nothing over the edge. It wasn't as if there was darkness, it was as if nothing had been there to begin with. As if the area there just ceased to exist. Or perhaps linked to some other dimension that her mind was unable to comprehend.

“You okay?” Dancer asked softly.

“Y-yeah. Just a little... startling,” Twilight mumbled, giving another shiver. The cold here didn't feel normal, either. It wasn't a true cold. It was more as if the heat was afraid to be here. Even when they walked by the torches she didn't feel any heat emanating from them. It was silent, as well. All she could hear was their hoof steps, no sounds echoing from the distance. As if the darkness absorbed all the sounds that dared to appear.

They made it to the top of the stairs and her eyes widened. There was a glowing blue pit, dangling over it was a massive steel cage. Within the cage was a strange creature, unlike anything she'd seen before. It had the upper body of a minotaur, with red arms and a black chest. But the lower body was that of a pony. A centaur. She'd only heard of them in legends. It looked so old and decrepit, the bones almost sticking through its flesh. Slowly it looked up.

“Well well well. If it's not the backup princess,” the creature said with a chuckle. “Come to free me at last? Funny, I'd always imagined it would be Discord who came to release me from this cell.”

Nightmare Moon ignored him, slowly hovering the metal bonds up before her eyes, she then gave a nod. “Tirek, it has been too long. You're in luck, we have use for you.”

He gave another chuckle. “You imagine I'd serve you? Why would I--” The words never finished when suddenly the metal bindings shot out. Four wrapped around his hooves, two around his wrists. He looked confused. “What are you--” Purple light enveloped them a moment later and he froze.

For a moment, nothing happened. Then the screams started. Twilight took a step back, but could not look away as purple magic radiated out from the bindings, surging through his body, illuminating his veins. The creature collapsed on the ground, his hands clawing at the binds, desperately trying to tear them away, but they refused to give. If anything it just made it worse. The smell of burnt fur filled the room as the creature slammed about in its cage, smashing the cuffs into the bars and rolling around in agony, struggling to get them off.

“Stop this!” Twilight yelled, shaking her head and looking to Nightmare Moon.

The alicorn stared into the glow, her body illuminated by the purple light. Her smile wide and wicked, revealing her sharp teeth. She slowly looked down at the earth pony. “Why?”

“Y-you're hurting him!”

“So?”

“You... you can't! He's helpless, he--”

“Is not a pony. He is not one of our children,” Nightmare Moon said with a shrug. “Of what matter is his pain to us?”

Twilight gaped, staring at her, before turning to the creature. “P-please. You... you can't... you...”

The creature collapsed to the ground, the purple magic spreading through his veins, leaving deep glowing marks across his features. “P-please...” he pleaded. “N-Nightmare... Moon... mercy...”

The alicorn smiled at him, one that held none of which he begged for. “We are afraid we reserve that for our subjects. Now do try to suffer with dignity, Tirek.”

“I... I will... d-do as you please... w-whatever... y-you please...”

She laughed, a hoof to her mouth. “Oh, indeed you will.” Her horn glowed and the bindings erupted with a purple flame before the screams grew louder.

------

Twilight couldn't stop shaking as she stepped into the castle, the screams still echoing through her mind. Tirek marched besides them, his body covered in glowing purple lines that seemed to pulsate with each step. He hadn't spoken a word since he'd been drawn from his cage, though Twilight wondered if he even could speak anymore. He tried to walk with dignity, but she could see the occasional limp, the strain in his eyes and clenched fists. A slight fear when he looked to Nightmare Moon.

Dancer looked ashamed, her eyes lowered and head hung. The earth pony couldn't blame her. Like it or not, she had helped to create whatever it was that bound the poor creature. His suffering lay at her hooves. But worst of all was Nightmare Moon. There had been no mercy from her. Even when the creature had screamed, begged and finally cried, she had ignored it.

No, not ignored it. She had reveled in it. She had watched with delight as the creature was torn apart, his body bent to her will and his agony overwhelmed. She'd enjoyed it in much the way a normal pony would have enjoyed a good book.

Twilight gave a shudder and looked away. When a new horror crept on her. “Princess? We're not heading to the throne room?”

“Of course not. Bard, it is time for us to make good on our promise.”

An icy chill went down her spine. “Promise?”

“Yes. It is time for all of those ponies to be returned to their homes. That is what they wish, is it not? To be back with their loved ones, to be free of their cells?”

Twilight's eyes widened. “Y-you're going to let those ponies go? Truly?” She shuddered. “Y-you aren't going to... bind them like you did him, are you?”

“Of course not. They are our ponies. We would never do something like that to them.”

The earth pony nodded, her eyes glancing back to the centaur. He looked angry, though she couldn't blame him. Angry but afraid. The guards quickly parted ways as they made their way to the cells, letting them pass without incident. Though she could see the fearful look that passed over their faces as the four moved past them. A look that was all too common these days.

They traveled down into the cells. She could hear the ponies below, talking to each other. Playing games. The moment Nightmare Moon stepped off the last step the sounds began to die. Most of them stopped immediately, but then one by one the remaining voices went quiet until the last one was snuffed out, like a candle blown out by the breeze. The alicorn looked around at the ponies. “Why so glum looking, children? Today is a happy day. For it is on this day that we have decided mercy will be spared to you and all of the others who so... foalishly attempted to stop us from taking our rightful place on the throne.”

“You're no ruler!” Shining yelled before stepping forward. “Celestia was a kind, noble princess! Cadence would have made a ruler a thousand times better than you!”

Nightmare Moon cocked an eye. “Ah, yes. Shining Armor. Don't think we'd forgotten about you.” She slowly walked forward, the grin on her face widening. “Bard, make sure you capture our magnificence. All ponies will know of this.” She then turned to the unicorn. “Sadly, Celestia is... no longer with us. Nor will she ever be returning.” She reached out and delicately tapped the bars. “And the little... Cadence, was it? You will be happy to know that our mercy will extend to her as well. As a matter of fact, all of you ponies who have made such mistakes will, after today, be returning home.”

“You're... going to let Cadence go?” He looked taken aback.

“Indeed,” she said. Her horn glowed before the bars opened. Shining let out a yelp as he was dragged out. He tried to dig his hooves into the ground, but they refused to hold him and his horn refused to work with the magical bindings on it. She turned to Tirek. “Now, Tirek. A demonstration. If you please.”

Tirek growled and ground his teeth. “As if I have a choice.” The centaur stepped forward, walking in front of the unicorn bound in the alicorn's magic. Twilight watched in horror, her eyes going wide.

“S-stop it...” she said weakly. “STOP IT!”

“Bard, be silent, this won't hurt him,” the alicorn said dismissively.

Twilight shook, watching the centaur approach him. She then let out a growl. “LEAVE MY BROTHER--”

“Stop!” Shining said, shaking his head weakly. “I-it's fine... Twily. Don't.”

The earth pony stopped. “W-what?”

“I... knew what I was getting into. Don't.”

Twilight whimpered but, slowly, took a step back. Tirek moved forward and opened his mouth. Shining let out a gasp as yellow and green magic burst forth from the creature's mouth, then enveloped his horn. Twilight watched in horror as the stallion's body shook and then, finally, his cutie mark faded away. Nightmare Moon's magic released him and he collapsed to the ground, his eyes gray and weak. “What... what have you done?”

“We have tamed this beast. Bent him to our will as all shall soon be,” Nightmare Moon said with a chuckle. Tirek let out a groan as the bindings began to glow. He moaned and then opened his mouth. Purple magic spilled forth, enveloping the alicorn before a grin formed on her lips. “And now, none will challenge our rule.” Her horn glowed before the cage opened once more and the other ponies were drawn out, dragged before Tirek. “Now... let us continue.”

------

Twilight struggled to keep herself from crying as she'd been forced to watch, one by one, while the rebellious guards were drained of their power and cutie marks. With each one, she could see Nightmare Moon growing stronger. Her horn grew slightly longer, her mane became more radiant. Her eyes glowed with a wicked light that made the earth pony want to run shrieking from the room.

But now the worst of all was about to happen. She had been ordered to follow when the tyrant grabbed Shining Armor and carried him in her magic through the castle. Twilight didn't even have to be told where they were going as they walked through the castle. She could tell that this horror story wasn't over yet.

Before long they came to one final room, housing a circle etched into the ground. Nightmare Moon stepped forward and put her hoof to it, moments before it came to life. There was a small flash and then, suddenly, within it two ponies appeared within a great metal cage. Blueblood and Cadence. They looked up in confusion. The former looked scared, while the latter looked defiant at first, but when her eyes fell on Shining, fear covered her face. “You... what are you doing?”

“It is time for us to end this charade,” Nightmare Moon said with a snort before dropping Shining on the ground. “You will be permitted to return to your homes. And your... colt.” She paused. “After we have finished.” Her horn glowed again and the gates opened. Blueblood let out a yelp before he was yanked forward, the gate slamming in Cadence's face.

“What are you doing with him?” Cadence yelled.

The ruler merely snorted and the stallion gulped when he was brought before Tirek. “Err... hello. Can I--” Twilight could only look away when the stallion's words died in his throat. She gave a small shudder and shook her head. After a few moments she heard a thump and looked back to see the prince, collapsed on the ground. His eyes weak and gray.

Nightmare Moon then turned to the pink princess. “Now, you.” The gate opened and Cadence let out a yelp before being dragged forward. She grabbed the bars as she was hauled, but her resistance only lasted a few moments. She was pulled forward before Tirek.

The centaur opened his mouth and Twilight looked away. After a few moments she heard a groan. “I... I cannot,” the centaur said weakly. “I am too weak. I need more power...”

Twilight looked up and, for a moment, there was hope. Cadence stared defiantly at them. “I will never give you my power! I would sooner die!”

Nightmare Moon gave a sigh. “Must we go through this? Truly?”

“You're a monster!”

“We are the rightful ruler of this land. You will yield your power to us.”

“NEVER!”

The ruler stared down at her, before nodding. “Very well. We had hoped it wouldn't come to this.” There was a light moan before Shining was picked up into the air. “Do it, or he dies.”

Cadence froze, her eyes going wide. Twilight gasped. “N-Nightmare Moon, you can't! You promised you--”

“Another alicorn will lead to civil war. It will be more ponies that rise up against us, who want to fight for who they believe should rule. Ponies may die.” The unicorn was brought in front of her. Twilight tried to speak, but her mouth suddenly refused to open. “We do not wish to hurt our ponies, but if one life must be sacrificed... so be it.”

Shining groaned, shaking his head. “D-don't do it... Cadence... if... if she has your power there's... she's already too strong. You can't make her--” His mouth was sealed in green magic.

“Make your decision quickly, child. One way or another... we will have your power. If we have to destroy your... lover, your parents, your friends. To avoid catastrophe, we shall.” She said

Cadence stared at her, chewing on her lower lip. Then, slowly, she turned to Tirek. Closing her eyes with shame, she opened her mouth.

------

Twilight sat in her chair, looking at the notes for her book. How had it come to this? She had thought everything was going to be fine. She'd thought that those ponies would actually be released. Now they were gone, drained of their power.

Worst yet, Tirek was a new tool for Nightmare Moon to use against them. She didn't know who he was, or even what he was. But with power like that, how could they ever hope to stand up against her? All of those ponies had been freed and once again the jails were empty. Nightmare Moon had been right, unfortunately. Who would dare rise up against her now? It was one thing to risk your life, but to fight her now would only make her stronger. Give her more power with which to rule the world. She rested her head on the table and whimpered.

Now Nightmare Moon was on her throne, likely gloating. Dancer was in her room, likely bawling her eyes out or feeling miserable after what she had helped to create. Her brother and Cadence had managed to get to their parents, but Twilight couldn't bear to stay longer than she had to and had retreated back to the castle. Tirek was in the jails, locked up alone until the ruler needed him again.

She paused and slowly looked up. “Tirek... is in the jails.” She glanced to her books. Slowly she pushed out from the desk and grabbed an empty notebook and some pens.

She was right. She didn't know who or what he was. But why couldn't she find out?

------

Twilight slowly walked down the steps to the cells. She couldn't help feeling that she did that far too often these days. However, this time it felt different. There had been no guards stationed at the top. The steps had plenty of fresh scuffs and dirt from the ponies that had walked out or been carried out following having their power drained. No sounds came from below, either. Noponies playing cards, board games or even oubliettes and ogres. There was silence. It was almost as bad as walking through Tartarus had been.

She made it to the bottom steps and took a slow look around, her eyes stopping on the creature off in the biggest cell. He was sitting on the bed, idly playing solitaire. It was such a strange, even normal appearance that she was taken aback and almost fell the last few steps, barely catching herself. He glanced up and cocked an eye. “Ah. The bard. Tell me, have you come to mock me like your ruler? Or perhaps you wish for something else? Perhaps an autograph?”

She shook her head. “No. I wanted to talk with you.”

He gave a light laugh. “Talk with me? Imagine, all I had to do to get a bit of company was wait a thousand years and some.” He snorted derisively. “Not like I have anything better to do.” He looked back to his cards.

She gulped. “Are... are you comfortable?”

“Oh, quite. Nothing like having every ounce of magic in your body tainted by some tyrannical pony to make your day just sunny. Pony, I have suffered enough. If all you wish is to torture me with inane chatter, bother someone else.” There was a light twitch to his hands as he dealt the cards.

She gulped nervously and took a step forward. “No. That's not it.” She dropped her notebook on the ground, flipping it open to the first page. “Tirek... I... I'd like you to tell me your story. All of it.”

Author's Note:

You know, to be honest, I came SUPER close to calling this story 'Tell me your story'. I'm such a dork. -.-

Anyway! This will likely be the last chapter posted for a while. Sorry. Just... well, irl things are going kinda... bad. There's a lot of drama going on irl, fighting, anger, hurt feelings and just... everything is going bad right now. And I'm caught right in the middle of it and struggling not to fall apart from the stress. I really don't want that leaking into my story, so I think it's better if I just put this one on hold for a little bit until all of this blows over and there's a lot less drama. Please be patient and bear with me, I'm sorry everyone. Thank you.

PreviousChapters Next