• Published 11th Jun 2012
  • 26,367 Views, 1,245 Comments

Accidental Harmony - errant



A desperate cellist is in over her head when she takes a job at a nightclub.

  • ...
42
 1,245
 26,367

Chapter 8

I don't know, Vinyl. I just don't know.

Octavia shook her head violently, trying to dislodge the endless refrain of her doubt and indecision. The harsh movement put further dents in the soft material of her pillow, robbing it of what little comfort it offered her. She resisted the urge to twist and turn; it wouldn't help her sleep any more than closing her eyes would.

The shadows of her darkened bedroom stifled her; the gentle breeze floating through an open window did nothing to ease the sweat forming along her coat regardless of how many sheets she flung to the floor. The darkness behind closed eyelids heralded only haunting and melancholic visions that made her fear any choice she might make.

Do I stay? An empty stage, a vacant spotlight, an unattended cello.

Do I go? Herself, alone. Vinyl long gone, unwilling to stay with such a selfish mare.

Oh Celestia, what am I to do?

. . .

Horseapples. If I'm going to be awake I may as well be up.

Hauling her restless form from the unwelcoming embrace of her mattress, Octavia plodded silently out into her living room before collapsing abjectly onto the couch. With a soft 'oof' she landed bodily, making the old springs creak and complain.

Excellent. Now perhaps with some blessed silence I'll be able to—

"Tavi? Is that you?"

Of course.

"No, Vinyl. I'm a robber who fancied a sit-down mid-crime," Octavia snarked.

"Looks like the only thing getting stolen around here is your peace of mind," Vinyl said as she emerged from the small extra room that had been outfitted for her use. She settled onto the couch beside her favorite cellist. "Wanna talk about it?" she asked, laying a hoof on Octavia's shoulder, absently running it lightly through the silky black mane.

"Not particularly," Octavia muttered, turning her head away from the softly reflected light that played in Vinyl's eyes.

"C'mon, Tavi. Don't do this. I know this whole thing with Las Pegasus and your agent has been worrying you all week but don't shut me out. Let me help you."

"That's just it, Vinyl; all week. I have to give my answer tomorrow and I still have no idea what I should do,” Octavia said.

"Just do what your heart tells you," Vinyl offered in her best mystical sage imitation.

"Yeah, good try; my heart wants to go so I can get back to playing my cello, my great love in life. But it also wants to stay here with you, my other great love."

"Aw, Tavi, that's so sweet you could bake cupcakes with it,” Vinyl said, though Octavia's glare reminded her that this wasn't really the best time for jokes. "Heh. What I meant to say was that I just want you to be happy, Tavi. If that means you go to Las Pegasus for a month, so be it. I'll be here waiting when you come back."

"But, Vinyl," Octavia objected. "You depend on me here. I can't let you down. And it's hardly fair for me to go off chasing my dreams and leave you behind."

"Tavi, I'm living my dream right now thanks to you. The least I can do is return the favor. It won't be easy or fun without you around, but I'll manage. For you."

"Vinyl . . ."

"C'mere," Vinyl demanded, meeting the earth pony in a loose embrace that ended up with them both lying on the couch, bodies pressed against each other and Vinyl's forelegs wrapped around Octavia's body as the cellist rested against her comforter's stomach.

"Vinyl?"

"Yeah?" the DJ mumbled groggily.

"Just promise me that you'll be here for me when I come back . . ."

Vinyl’s forelegs gripped her tighter. "You'd better believe it, Treble Clef."

Silence fell. The two mares' breaths soon synchronized and, for the first time in days, Octavia rested.


Octavia caught the sound of ringing through the phone receiver pressed against the side of her head. She could only hope there was an answer.

I only just worked up the courage to tell Mr. Bookings I accept. If I wait any longer I might chicken out. Again.

She smiled sheepishly, remembering the half-dozen times she had picked up the phone throughout the day, determined that this time she was really going to do it.

She allowed the phone to ring nearly thirty times before returning it to its cradle.

Naturally. Oh well, perhaps he's only out to lunch. It is still early.

A glance at the clock reminded Octavia that she was supposed to be going to the club early today to help Vinyl set up some new equipment. The electropony herself had left a little earlier.

Oh well. I'll try again later from the phone at the club.

Locking her door behind her, Octavia trotted down the stairs of her apartment complex. Emerging into the fresh air and sunlight, she turned towards the club and began the brisk walk. She moved easily for the first time in days, relatively unburdened with worry. The simple reassurance of a firm decision, and the knowledge that Vinyl didn't hate her for it, made the world a better proposition to her.

The sun seemed to be shining extra bright, the birds singing extra sweetly, all for her. Nothing could intrude on the small bubble of happiness that surrounded the trotting pony. The hurried passing of a group of weather pegasi wearing the uniform of the fire response team barely warranted a passing glance.

As her hoofsteps brought her nearer the club her nose began to detect the acrid presence of smoke. Octavia tried to put it out of mind as she kept walking, but the smell grew stronger with every stride.

I hope I don't have to take a detour or something.

With relief she turned the final corner, expecting to see the familiar front of Club P0n-3, its brilliant neon sign deactivated during daylight hours.

Instead, the sign lay on the ground, cracked and darkened. The building it should be attached to was in flames; brilliant hues of yellow and orange swirled and devoured, reflecting hell in horror-struck amethyst eyes. Dozens of pegasi filled the sky, coaxing water from clouds to battle and contain the inferno.

Rooted in place, Octavia wasn't even sure her heart was beating. Certainly her breath felt like it was being ripped away by the towering walls of flame before her.

Pegasi floated and hovered above the ravaged structure, struggling valiantly with wings and weather magic to defy elemental fury. Held aloft by superheated updrafts they flitted and moved like leaves in autumn, their movements at once chaotic and orchestrated.

Octavia finally noticed the crowd that had gathered to watch the spectacle, held back by a number of armor-clad guards. She made her way to the front, heedless of anypony she shoved from her path and not caring for the tears that coursed down her face, a pathetic offering of water that had no power to quench the flames.

Behind the guard lines, unicorns with horns alight carved paths through the flames, making way for more of their number to dash inside surrounded by protective shields.

The grey mare gasped, heart clenched in the icy grip of a helplessness and fear more vast and consuming than she believed possible.

Oh Celestia, Luna, I don't care who, just let her be safe.

She stood there for what seemed like an eternity; it felt to her that time had ceased to move. It was like time had stopped after she stepped off a cliff and before she began to fall; the short moment of mind-numbing terror never subsided into mere fear.

A glimmer of hope presented itself among despair: the rescuers stumbled wearily forth, disheveled and damaged. Between them, held aloft by magic, was the unmoving form of a white unicorn supported by a stretcher. "Vinyl! Hold on!" Octavia yelled, beginning to run forward only to be stopped by the one of the guards corralling the crowds stepping into her path.

"Excuse me, ma'am, but this is a restricted—"

"That is my marefriend over there and I don't even bucking know if she's alive!" the Octavia screamed, primal emotion ripping its way from her throat and forcing the guard back an involuntary step.

"I really can’t allow anypony—"

Octavia was gone before he could finish, dashing past him and pointedly ignoring his shouted commands to stop. She reached Vinyl as the attending unicorn medics were preparing to load her onto a pegasi-pulled chariot, its sides adorned with a red equal-armed cross. They were silent, focused on pouring magic into sustaining Vinyl.

Octavia knelt beside her precious DJ, tears falling unheeded as she struggled to find a way to touch Vinyl without brushing her hooves against the huge, ugly swathes of charred skin showing through glaring spots where her coat had fallen victim to the heat and flames. Finally she settled on running her hooves through Vinyl's bright hair, singed in places and in others simply burned away.

Her rapt attention was only broken by the efficient medics picking up the stretcher and moving it onto the waiting chariot. She tried to open her mouth, to plead to be allowed aboard, but her throat felt like it was constricted in a vice grip. Tears streaked down from her eyes as she reached out a trembling hoof as if to try and grasp something just out of reach as the chariot ascended on powerful bursts of the pegasi’s wings. The downdraft sent dust and dirt swirling everywhere below them, forcing Octavia’s already watery eyes to screw shut. When she was able to open them again she could see no sign of the medical chariot anywhere in the sky and the gawking crowd was already beginning to disperse.

Please please please be ok, Vinyl. Please. You promised you'd be here for me. You promised . . .