• Published 25th Nov 2011
  • 1,627 Views, 22 Comments

Shroud of darkness - LeTriggs

  • ...
13
 22
 1,627

Chapter 18

Partition

6 months later

Rarity walked across the open plain with Twilight in pursuit and Rainbow Dash above them circling over keeping a watchful eye out for any signs of movement. The light wind glided over the grass sending a small number of flower petals and dandelion seeds into the air.

"I still don't know Rarity do you really think we should've gone?" Twilight struggled to keep up with Rarity who ever since they had left Haven had kept up a brisk pace leading the trio south-east towards Manehatten.

"Twilight my family is out there I need to find them. Besides it's not like there is any immediate danger I mean the Shades haven't been seen in over a month by either the Haven or Winterhold sentries just those blasted raiders. Maybe they are gone for good." She spoke with an uncommon anger in her voice letting her usual regal accent drop.

"I know but I don't feel right leaving everpony else back there. I mean what if"

"Then why did you come?!" Rarity stopped turning her face back to Twilight her eyes shooting into Twilight's soul with pure rage making her shrink away for a moment before Rainbow landed with a large thud between them causing more petals to blow up.

"Hey! Stop it the pair of you!" Rarity gave the same look of rage to Rainbow who stood her ground against the white unicorn.

"Look we came out here for different reasons but if I have to listen to you two screaming at each other one more time then you can go on your own!" Rainbow shook with anger looking at Rarity then Twilight and then back again.

"But Dashie."

"I don't wanna hear a word of it Rarity! Yes you want to find your family, yes Twilight you want to see what is going on out there and yes you aren't sure if you did the right or wrong thing in going without the others but here we are now just deal with it."

"Don't you feel bad Dash leaving Fluttershy?" Rainbow looked at Twilight before she shook her head and began walking ahead of the unicorns fighting the tears back into her body.

"Yeah I do but she didn't want to come and I had to so she can stay there cowering in that cave for all I care." Both Rarity and Twilight exchanged looks with each other before they carried on in silence heading up a small hill where they began to see the marvellous skyline of Manehatten.

--------------------------

The trio moved throughout the deserted streets of the once bustling metropolis moving over pieces of rubble as the buildings towered over them. Every now and then there would be a hole in one of the skyscrapers in a group or one would even be completely demolished its remains scattered over the roads. As they walked they could hear and feel a thudding getting louder as they moved. The trio climbed up and over a rather large pile of rubble when a deafening roar cut through the air making Rarity stumble causing a few smaller rocks to tumble down as they clambered up.

"Hey keep quiet!" A voice hissed at them as the rocks landed at the bottom of the pile sending small clouds of dust up. They looked around for the source when they saw across the street a dark grey pegasus waving them over. They each got as low to the ground as they could as they sneaked across the street towards the pegasus pressing themselves against the wall he was hiding by. He wasn't much taller then the mares, his short black mane flicked across his face with a red streak running through it the back being stuck up in a spiky mess. He shot his brown eyes over to the trio lined up beside him, he held his hoof to his ear where a small device stretched from it to just next to his mouth and nodded a few times.

"Just getting into position now." He picked up the rocket launcher beside him hoisting it onto his shoulder. They saw his cutie mark as he bent over which was a red electric guitar covering his flank. He rushed out into the street while the others moved to the corner of the building and peaked round. The sight made each of their jaws drop as they looked down the street. A massive dark creature stood further down the road, the creature was roughly four stories tall standing on two legs pacing and letting out the occasional roar as it searched through buildings either side of it piercing the skyscrapers with it's blade like claws. They looked at the pegasus who held his hoof up to his ear again speaking into it before he pulled the rocket launcher onto his shoulder pointing it at the creature. A plume of smoke came out of the back of the rocket launcher as the missile flew out leaving a trail of smoke behind it as two other missiles launched from buildings further up the street. The rockets collided with the creature exploding on impact sending smoke around obscuring the creature from sight before it fell to the ground halting all movement. The pegasus threw the rocket launcher onto his back before he ran back to the trio running past them towards an open sewer cover a few feet away from them.

"Well come on then unless you wanna get killed." he dropped out of sight before the three mares followed. Twilight dropped down the hole first then Rarity and finally Rainbow Dash who pulled the cover over the hole sealing it back up as the roars of more of the giant creatures approached.

Rainbow dropped onto the damp concrete with a loud squelch, she held her hoof up to inspect what had made the noise as she landed noticing the bottom of her hoof was covered in a green mushy substance.

"Eww what is this stuff?" She began scraping her hoof against the wall removing the substance from her before the grey pegasus lit up a lantern and turned round to look at them.

"I don't wanna think what that stuff is."

"How can you breathe down here! I'm suffocating, I can't breathe! I need to get out!" Rarity began hyperventilating moving away from the little stream that ran alongside them then yelping as she touched the wall. Twilight moved over to her and shook her breaking Rarity from her panic then looking straight in her eyes.

"Rarity! Remember why you're here!" Rarity looked at Twilight threatening to cry before she shook herself looking more determined than ever.

"You're right! I am here for my family and I shan't stop till I find them." The unicorns looked at the pegasi one who was looking at them impatiently and the grey one looking with a cocked eyebrow. Rainbow looked at the pegasus taking a good look at his face before letting out a high pitched squeal.

"Oh my gosh oh my gosh oh my gosh! You're Spin Disk!"

"You know this guy?" Twilight looked at Rainbow inquisitively knowing her to only start her fan girl squealing when she was around the wonderbolts.

"This is Spin Disk he is only like in the best band ever!" Spin Disk took a smug grin whilst Rainbow talked before an almighty crash came above them followed by a deafening roar.

"Let's save the introductions for later and get the hay out of here!" Spin Disk took off around the corner with the others following behind him closely as the earth shook around them.

-----------------------------

The group walked in silence through the damp sewers, the only sound around them the drips of water from the ceiling and the rushing of the dank stream alongside them. They hopped over the stream as they ventured past an adjacent tunnel that latched onto the stream they were walking along adding to the murky water. They came to the end of the tunnel where it opened into a large chamber that stretched up high above them. There was the bustle of ponies moving through the chamber on wooden platforms atop the water going about their business, tending to their children, preparing food and other such things. Spin Disk looked around then flicked his mane out of his turning to the trio of mares.

"Welcome to what's left of Manehatten!" As the pegasus shouted a few of the closer by ponies looked over at him then exchanged looks to each other whilst muttering before an orange pegasus shot over landing next to them. His fiery mane stuck behind his head in a similar style to Spitfire's. His red eyes looked over the mares making them shrink away from his height before he grinned looking at Spin Disk.

"Took your sweet time ass time! Mind you I was always quicker than you." He bent down to Spin Disk's level his grin growing ever wider whilst Spin Disk's eyes narrowed as he began smirking.

"Who told you that Firestorm? Sapphire?" Firestorm jumped back as his eyes went wide and he began sweating.

"That never happened! Stop spreading that shit already!"

"Haha I will do when you stop getting so defensive about it. Now I believe introductions are in order. Ladies this is Firestorm, and Firestorm this is, urmmmm."

"Rainbow Dash!" Rainbow spoke up running her hoof through her mane.

"Rarity my dear." Rarity fluttered her eyes at the tall pegasus.

"And I'm Twilight Sparkle, pleasure to meet you, Firestorm was it?" She held out a hoof which Firestorm bumped with his leaving hers hanging in the air.

"Well then that's that done except for Static. Where is he?" Spin Disk looked around over the pontoons and platforms looking out for somepony before he looked back at Firestorm who returned a solemn look.

"Storm. Where is Static?"

"He didn't make it. Those damn things got to him before he could get out. I tried to help him I really did but there were too many." Spin Disk looked at Firestorm for a moment then suddenly grabbed a nearby table and threw it over scattering bits of paper and other random objects on the floor.

"Dammit! Every bucking time we lose somepony else!" Some of the ponies nearby looked at Spin Disk in shock then hurriedly went back to what they were doing. Spin Disk stood still for a moment breathing heavily before he began walking slowly away.

"Hey wait Spin Disk, let me help!" Spin Disk stopped and looked at Rainbow as she trotted over to him and pulled the rocket launcher off his back.

"uh thanks, just call me Spin yeah." Rainbow nodded to him and followed him off over one of the walkways.

"Rarity? Rarity is that you?" The trio left looked over to where the new voice was approaching from to see Rarity's father galloping over and hugging his daughter.

"Oh thank Celestia you're okay! What are you doing here!?" Rarity struggled against her father's grip as an excited Sweetie belle galloped over joining the pair in a hug.

"Father, Sweetie belle. I can't. Breathe." The pair let go of Rarity who plopped onto the ground catching her breathe before she looked back up with a smile.

"Thank goodness you're okay." Rarity looked around then looked back at her father.

"Where's mother?"

"Rarity, you may want to-"

"Where. Is. Mother?" Her father hung his head down as he stopped himself crying then looked at Twilight and Firestorm who were stood away from the family trying to look like they weren't watching.

"Twilight right? Can you and Firestorm look after Sweetie belle for a moment?"

"Of course I can Magnum. Come along let's get Twilight settled in yeah?" Sweetie belle gave her sister another hug before she followed Firestorm and Twilight leaving the two in peace.

"Father. What's happened?" Rarity began tearing up when she saw her father's face already knowing what he was going to say.

"I'm sorry my little gemstone. She's gone."

---------------------

The dust storm raged over the desert blotting the sky from sight. The wind howled as the sand joined with the sky threatening to take any that dared wander into its grasp. From the sand a lone figure began to slowly emerge, he came to a halt just before the fine edge of the storm. His cloak covered him blocking his body from the dust and sand. He looked at small clearing within the storm where a simple tent was placed in a dune. He held his hoof out and at the definitive edge of the storm his hoof touched something solid, the second his hoof came to a halt a ripple went out showing the protective barrier around the tent. The Stallion pushed against the bubble which with a bit of effort let his hoof through and then as he forced himself forward his entire body slipped through the barrier. The air inside the bubble was cooler than the rest of the desert by a slight amount and there was moisture in the air. The stallion moved down the dune towards the tent where a young zebra emerged pointing a spear at the pony.

"Boolum nact aise!"

"Sailise nos Drakaia." The zebra looked at him unflinching for a second before he lowered his spear standing out of the way of the tent opening. The pony nodded his head and entered the dark tent, incense smoke floated around the tent filling it with a musty smell that attacked the senses. Around the interior of the tent were trinkets of all ages placed on different tables and desks. On the other side of the tent was a desk that was empty save for a sword placed on its own special rack. In front of the desk a figure raised its head looking at the hooded pony who had entered raising a claw to the zebra by the opening who nodded closing the flap to the tent.

"You don't need to keep up the theatrics Stargazer." Stargazer pulled his hood back spilling sand on the carpet before he sat down removing his cloak.

"There's a storm out there. But I guess that isn't a concern for you in here is it? You did never tell me how you can do magic. I always thought dragons couldn't." The dragon sat in silence for a moment before Stargazer stood back up and began wandering around the room picking up an ancient urn that he began inspecting.

"Star Swirl."

"Don't lie Drakaia, he died long before your time." Stargazer didn't look away from the urn whilst he spoke then placed it back where he found it turning to face the old dragon again. He looked into the dragon's green eyes taking in the features of his face. Scars covered Drakaia's face the largest being at the tip of his pointed mouth dug deep into his grey scales. Stargazer turned away from the dragon once again looking at the many items on the table.

"This world is ending young one. You know it as well as I do. I know you can feel it, it's spreading."

"What do you mean it is spreading? I can't feel anything." Stargazer turned round to have Drakaia place his claw against his chest. A high pitched piercing came into Stargazer's mind reaching into the depths of his soul, Stargazer screamed in pain whilst Drakaia closed his eyes in concentration. The noise began to subside in Stargazer's head until it became a quiet noise in the back of his head almost like feedback from a speaker. Stargazer gasped pushing every bit of air out of his body before he fell to the ground looking at Drakaia who stood in front of him, his tail hanging just above the floor. He turned back showing his back where a set of stumps were where his wings had once been. He moved to the desk where the sword was placed atop running his claw across it.

"The Darkness is spreading Stargazer. It is contained within you.......as it is in me. I made it so you can feel its presence like I can."

"What do you mean The Darkness is within me?"

"Oh dear child you do not yet know the tragedy your life is." The dragon turned around holding the sword and handed it to Stargazer who grabbed the hilt. The second he touched the weapon images flashed in his head of a strange ruin, a light blue unicorn with a beard, a starry cloak and a staff launching a spell tearing up the ground. Of a young Drakaia in strange clothing clutching a scimitar charging forwards. Of an Alicorn with a pure white coat, a long flowing golden mane and the most beautiful blue eyes that he had ever seen. Tears began trickling down the Alicorn mare's face as black veins began spreading up her neck and over her face.

"I'm sorry." The mare closed her eyes before her face turned completely dark. Stargazer was pushed back to the present, he threw the sword to the ground in front of him looking at it then back to Drakaia who had sat back in his original spot.

"What was that!" The dragon picked up the blade again running a singular claw over its blade feeling the runes carved into it.

"This blade is old, impossibly old. As such it carries memories from long ago."

"But who was that? The unicorn and that Alicorn. I.....I know her from somewhere."

"The unicorn was Star Swirl the bearded.Where as the Alicorn....That was Harmonia. A kind soul that I wish I had known for longer than I did. She was also your mother Lucien."

"What are you talking about! My name is Stargazer! I never had any real parents! I was just dumped on Celestia!" Stargazer gritted his teeth as he look at Drakaia who kept the same expression on his face.

"Yes you were given the name Stargazer by Celestia. But your birth name was Lucien. Me, Star Swirl and your mother were once tasked with a quest to seek out those ruins you saw. When we got there.........Everything fell apart. The Darkness was released, it infected me and it turned Harmonia into what you call Nightmare."

"No. I don't believe it! You never knew Star Swirl! You never knew my mother! I'm out of here!" Stargazer stood up and turned to leave but an invisible wall stopped him. Drakaia stood holding a sheath with the sword contained and a rolled up piece of parchment whilst he held his claw out obviously making the barrier that halted the Alicorn's departure.

"I know it's a lot to take in but believe that this is the truth. Take this, it will aid you on your travels. Follow this map if you need proof to what I say." Stargazer clipped the sheath onto him so the sword was on his back then stuffed the map into the strap going across his chest before he left the tent. Stargazer pushed past the zebra sat waiting outside the tent flap climbing the dune out onto the desert where the sand storm had stopped. He moved over the sand letting his body move itself through anger and denial. Eventually when the slight ringing in his head stopped he halted his movement slipping the map from the strap on him and unfolded it looking at the one point on the map that was circled.

"I guess there's nothing else to do but check this out." Stargazer got his bearings and turned heading in the direction of the map marker.