• Published 25th Nov 2011
  • 1,627 Views, 22 Comments

Shroud of darkness - LeTriggs

  • ...
13
 22
 1,627

Chapter 15

The choices we make

Iron-hoof stared the markings carved into the wall within the dungeons of Windhelm. Ever since the soldier showed the markings on the wall he had rarely left trying to understand what they meant. Along the walls heading to the secure solitary confinement room were scratches and holes and the heavy metal door to the room itself had been torn apart caving in on itself but the strangest part of the sight was the markings next to the stairs leading up to the ground floor of the fortress. He didn't know what language was written in but knew that it had to be a message to someone from the complexity of the markings.

"Could be Dragon-tongue?" The captain jumped slightly as the voice of a young sergeant spoke next to him also checking the markings. His dark brown coat partially blended to the wall behind him, his mane was cut short sticking straight up like most soldiers with his uniform covering his body and flank. Iron-hoof took another look at the markings inspecting them closer before he shook his head.

"Nah it isn't I can understand a few bits of dragon language and this isn't it this is completely different. Who knows maybe we'll never find out and it'll be one of those little mystery's that we have to accept." The soldier looked over at the old pony with a raised eyebrow before once again looking back to the markings and shrugged his shoulders.

"Guess you're right but ya never know maybe we will find out." Iron-hoof made for the stairs after the pony spoke calling to him as he made his way up.

"Well then, back to work soldier." The brown pony stood and moved through the dungeons on his patrol whistling as he walked.

------------------------------

Iron-hoof entered into the command centre as Steel stood in the centre watching over the ponies sat at different positions around the room performing their separate tasks. The buzzing of a radio could be heard being tuned over the drone of conversation and hoofsteps. Steel gave the captain a nod as he approached him both looking around the room proud of the work they had done within the short time they were in the fortress. The place had been locked down and repairs had begun the first day they had arrived with all the civilians they had with them volunteering to work with the soldiers obviously realising that if they didn't there would be a chance that all of them could die. The radio that Vinyl scratch was fiddling with began faintly making the sound of a voice under the static.

"Lock in on that signal and trace it!" Steel jumped over to Vinyl scratch where she began rapidly turning knobs on the radio making the voice come out clearer.

"...stance groups have been reported in Manehatten and the areas near cloudsdale....There has still been no word from Fillydelphia and any locations within the desert or from overseas. Don't give up, fight for tomorrow, fight for your lives, if you see the shades don't go waving the white flag cause they'll just kill you. This is the voice of freedom." The radio once again turned to static once more leaving the three ponies by the radio in silence for a few seconds.

"That signal traced?"

"Yes sir" Vinyl scratch answered nodding enthusiastically proud that she had managed to trace the radio signal to its source.

"Well then let's open up a channel hopefully they can hear us." Steel picked up the microphone and pressed the button silencing the static and began speaking into it.

"Hello? Can you hear me?" He let go of the button letting the static return before a confused voice spoke back to him.

"Uhh yes I can hear you you're a bit crackly but can make you out."

"This is the voice of freedom right?"

"Yes it is. May I ask who you are?" Iron-hoof took the microphone from Steel and began speaking into it next with his authoritative voice.

"This is Captain Iron-hoof of the Royal Equestrian Military."

"C....Captain you say?"

"Yes."

"Give me just a second there is somepony here who will want to talk to you." The radio turned to static once again for a few moments before it picked up again this time with another voice speaking.

"Captain. Is this line secure?"

"As secure as possible given the situation. Who is this?"

"It's Luna."

"Princess!? You're alive?! What happened?"

"It's a long story Captain but the short of it is Celestia is gone, almost everywhere is destroyed these shade things are running amok within the immediate area of Canterlot and ponies have turned on each other. Equestria is all but gone."

"I see, what of the Air force? the Navy?"

"We haven't heard anything on our end. Where are you contacting us from?"

"Windhelm fortress."

"what is the situation like on your end?"

"We have plenty of supplies which run out for a long time, a number of soldiers and civilians too."

"Okay then. Stay there hold up for as long as possible we need to create a network with different settlements around to figure out what to do."

"Okay then your highness we'll do just that when we have the place repaired we'll send out scouts to search for survivors and any settlements."

"Well don't take any risks Captain I have a feeling we'll need everypony we have. I need to sign off now."

"Okay then Princess we'll speak soon with a report on the situation." He put the microphone back as the radio turned once more to static and allowed himself a few seconds to breathe relieved that they weren't the only ones to survive the attacks.

"Right then you heard the Princess let's get this place back to operating condition quick as we can!"

---------------------------

"LUNA!" Stargazer threw himself off the wood floor panting as Twilight slipped off the sofa yanked out of her sleep by his shout. She pulled herself up groaning as she rubbed her head as she did looking over to the Alicorn who wiped the beads of sweat from his brow his eyes darting around the room.

"What is it?" his eyes snapped to her as his breathing slowed and deepened calming himself, the sunlight shot through the open window onto his face making him squint to see the lavender unicorn.

"Nothing.....just a dream." He looked down at the ground as a tear fell out of his eyes. "I haven't thought about that for centuries, why now?" He shook his head letting the question reside in the back of his head with all the others he had left to answer and stood up stretching out his legs each one cracking as he did so.

"Guess there's no point in trying to get back to sleep, gonna have to get going soon. The others best get themselves up or I'll have to give them a personal alarm." He grinned as he thought of a prank to play on the other five upstairs. Twilight looked at him with a raised eyebrow his smile looked incredibly odd for him, it was genuine, unlike the little raises of the corners of his mouth she had seen. She was snapped away from Stargazer as the sound of multiple hooves came down the stairs warily making sure not to fall over in the daze of early morning.

"What's all the ruckus? or do I not wanna know what ya'll are doin'?" Applejack being the most used to early mornings was allot more chipper than the rest due to her early starts at Sweet Apple Acres. She looked at the pair giggling to herself at the sight of Twilight stammering trying to explain that nothing was going on embarrassed that Applejack would think of her doing anything of the sort with their unlikely guide.

After a few minutes of waking up Sue and Clyde had come the stairs to join the others not letting them leave without a proper breakfast. They ate the food stuffing themselves completely and then took a few saddlebags which Pinkie's parents had filled with food and water for them to have on their journey. They stood on the porch wishing them good luck before they got to pinkie who gave them a long hug.

"Pinkamena....If you find Octavia out there...tell her....tell her we love her very much." Clyde put his hooves on his daughters shoulders as he spoke to her looking into her eyes then hugged her.

"And don't forget we love you to dear." Her mother began sobbing as she embraced pinkie who patted her on the back.

"I know you do mum and I'll tell her dad, even though I'm sure she already knows." She let go of her mother and joined the rest of her friends who greeted her with warm smiles.

"We'll stay here and try and keep as quiet as we can. Don't worry about us okay, we'll be fine out here nopony comes out here so we wont attract attention. Now go you hear, you go get yourselves to this Haven as quick as you can." Pinkie nodded before she turned to leave with her friends. Sue let out another set of tears and buried her face into Clyde's body as the group slowly faded into the distance on their long journey.

--------------------------

The group moved through yet another forest in the early afternoon, they had just started moving after having a quick rest to eat some of the food given by Pinkie's parent's and drink some water letting the weight off their hooves. the forest was allot smaller and different to any others they had been during their journey. The tree's were thin and covered in a thin layer of snow as was the ground. Their didn't seem to be any animals running around like the mares were used to having in Equestria and the weather changed of it's own accord which unnerved them deeply. Stargazer munched on a piece of bread looking at it inquisitively with each bite whilst the others happily ate their food in silence.

"Weird I didn't think ponies made their own bread any more. Tastes so much better than that processed shit you're all probably used to." He swallowed his bite before taking another relishing in the taste of the home-cooked bread.

"I can't taste any difference it's just plain old bread to me." Rarity stared closely at her piece trying to see any difference to the bread she was used to but gave up.

"It's all in the details how it's different, this bread is fluffy and light not weighed down with all the stuff they put in bread to make it look so pristine. Plus it tastes warmer and takes on the taste of the crop used for it, it takes in the location the crop is grown in and how it is made. You can't beat a bit of home cooked bread or maybe I'm just old fashioned." He threw the rest of the bread in his mouth and swallowed it taking in each part of it's delectable taste.

"Well then, shall we get going? Or do you lot need to rest more?" Each of the mares looked at him with their mouths hanging open some still with half chewed food in their mouth. He looked back at them with a cocked eyebrow staring at each of them in the stunned silence.

"What? you look like I just smacked you round the face." Fluttershy strangely was the first of them to speak up her timid voice cutting through the silence of the forest.

"Well...um...it's just you never ask us if we need more rest....you just...um..go." She shrunk back as Stargazer looked at her before he turned shrugging his shoulders.

"Okay then you want me to be like that then I will do."

"Oh no no no please it's nice we just didn't expect it."

"Well fine but come on let's get going anyway it's only gonna get colder." He began walking as the others rushed to catch up with him a slight smile on his face as he walked.

After another hour they reached the edge of the forest where they saw a sight that stunned each of them. across the plain ahead of them was a pile of burning wreckage, a small explosion went off amongst the wreckage whilst they looked at it.

"It's an airship, Nightmare's forces must've taken it out. Come on let's go check for anything we can grab." They each charged towards the wreckage weapons at the ready for anything that may be there. They reached the wreckage within a matter of minutes and began scanning the area for anything whilst Stargazer went with Rainbow Dash into the wreckage searching through it. As they moved through the wreckage looking everywhere they could for any supplies a piece of metal fell over revealing a pony still alive but cut in half, they rushed over to him as he groaned with pain.

"Soldier what happened?" The pony groaned more before he looked at Stargazer.

"We were attacked by these things, like ponies but not. How bad am I?" Stargazer looked the pony up and down at his guts that had spilled out of his open body hiding his disgust at the sight.

"You're gonna be fine save your strength." He stood up from the pony who laid his head on the ground staring at the sky. Stargazer pulled out his rifle and took aim at the pony where Rainbow grabbed it pointing it away from the pony.

"What are yo doing! We can't kill him." She hissed at him as quietly as she could so the pony couldn't hear her as did Stargazer.

"Look at him! He's done for you know that as well as I do. It's either this or let him go slowly what do you think is better?" Rainbow looked at the top half of pony on the ground before she let go of the rifle and pulled her own out and took aim.

"I'm so sorry." The shot rang out through the wreckage echoing around them. Rainbow dropped the rifle to the ground and fell to her knee's looking at the corpse of the pony in-front of her.

"Please forgive me." She felt a hoof on her shoulder and looked up into the sky blue eyes of Stargazer. He didn't say anything and began walking back towards the others letting her come of her own accord.

"Let's camp out here tonight we'll do the final leg over the mountains tomorrow." the others sat down on the ground taking of their packs as soon as he said the words and got comfy sitting round one of the pre-existing fires. Rainbow followed slowly after the Alicorn solemnly. Fluttershy went to her but she waved her away without a word and climbed up onto part of the wreckage of the airship looking out at the setting sun. The others began to make a move towards her but were waved down by Stargazer who went up in silence and sat by the cyan pegasus.

"You did the right thing you know." His voice was quiet he knew that he had to be careful with what he said and how he said so he decided that softness was the best way to go. Rainbow sat with her face in her hooves sniffling in response to him.

"I know it doesn't seem like it but it is. The right thing is almost always the hardest choice." She pulled her head up and looked at him trying to fight back the tears.

"Why?"

"Because life is cruel, it's like a bad joke getting played on us by someone. Almost like they wanna see us struggle."

"I guess you're right..." Rainbow wiped her face removing some streaks of tears from her face whilst Stargazer looked at her with a slight grin before nudging her.

"Wow you're agreeing with me? Didn't see that coming." Rainbow laughed slightly grinning at the Alicorn who smiled back at her.

"So Rainbow I gotta know. What's your problem with me? You don't just distrust me, you really hate me. So what is it?" Rainbow pondered with her thoughts for a while before she came upon an answer.

"I guess I've been trying to push you away. Maybe I have some trust issues."

"How so?"

"Well I never knew my parents. They left me at an orphanage when I was a baby so I don't like getting to close to others."

"Looks like we're more alike than we thought."

"Huh?"

"Never knew my parents either. Celestia found me when I was a baby and took me in."

"Well I know they're out there somewhere." She looked once again at the sun as it fell below the horizon with a determined expression on her face.

"I'll find them. One day I'll find them." Stargazer looked at her for a few moments. So young, so strong. He looked back at the other five sat below huddled together chatting amongst themselves.

"So what about your friends?"

"I dunno I just felt like they wouldn't leave me....Although it took some longer for me to trust than others."

"And Fluttershy, you two seem....ummmmm....close." Rainbow chuckled at how he stumbled around saying that they were a couple.

"It took a long time with her to be honest. we only got together a few months ago and I knew her in flight school back in Cloudsdale. But once we got together I knew it would be forever."

"But you still worry that she'll leave you....That they all will." She put her head back in her hooves and nodded sniffling again.

"To be honest I've never seen friendship as strong as the one you lot have once before and the way you and Fluttershy look at each other.....Well let's just say I know that look. You should tell her how you feel though, you don't want for something to happen to either of you without saying what's in your heart." She looked at him the tears having stopped flowing from her eyes before she nodded.

"You're right. I should say something, she wouldn't leave me anyway just look how awesome I am!" she jumped to her hooves smiling and running her fore hoof through her mane.

"Well you have fun with that I'm gonna be by the fire if you feel like joining us." He jumped down from the piece of wreckage with Rainbow just behind him. Stargazer sat down by the fire lying on his back staring at the stars whilst Rainbow tapped Fluttershy on the shoulder and signalled for her to follow. The pair sat just a small distance away from the group so that they could speak without the others hearing them.

"What is it Rainbow?" Fluttershy's soft voice melted Rainbow's heart letting a smile crawl across her face before she gave the butter pegasus a kiss.

"I just wanted to talk. Y'know, about us." Fluttershy instantly dropped her head and began pawing at the ground.

"Oh.......I guess......This wasn't....go-going to last was it?" She became crying slightly trying to stay strong so as not to make a scene when she felt a hoof on her shoulder. She looked up to Rainbow who was still smiling at her tenderly.

"You think I would bust something like that out now? after we went to that other Ponyville, after we had to deal with your father you think I would just up and leave you? Especially with all this shit happening. Shows how highly you think of me." Rainbow winked at her then laughed giving her Mare-friend a hug.

"What I really wanted to say was well.....I dunno how to say it but well. I love you Fluttershy. Like I really love you, I never thought I would love anypony like this but well here we are. I.....Well...I." Rainbow took Fluttershy's hooves in her own and got down on one knee in front of her. Fluttershy's eyes went wide and began to well up with tears.

"Fluttershy.....when all this is over. When we can go back to our old lives. Will you.......Will you marry me?" Fluttershy dived at Rainbow enveloping her in a hug with tears of joy streaming from her eyes.

"YES! YES! OH SWEET CELESTIA YES OF COURSE I'LL MARRY YOU!" The pair shared a passionate kiss calming themselves slightly before they returned to the others who all apart from Stargazer were looking at the grinning pair with a look of utter bewilderment.

"Girls...we have a little announcement to make." They each leant closer to the smiling couple who kept giggling like a pair of school fillies.

"well.....Rainbow just proposed to me!" Fluttershy squealed and flapped her wings in excitement before her friends rushed over to them congratulating them both.

"Oooo dear you need to let me design you a dress."

"Of course I will Rarity I wouldn't dream of going to anypony apart from you."

"Well well Rainbow I didn't think you were the type to tie yourself down."

"Oh come on A.J you're just jealous that I managed to find a special somepony before you did." Rainbow grinned at Applejack who tried to reply but couldn't manage it and merely ended up smiling at her.

"We need to have a party to celebrate!" Pinkie was bouncing around her friends more excited than the engaged pair whilst Twilight who was as excited as the rest was hit by a wave of realisation.

"Wait how are you two going to get married with....this happening." She pointed to the wreckage of the airship mere meters away from them.

"Well that's why we're going to wait till this is over, have it both as a celebration for getting through this and a reason for us to stay alive."

"Wow that's really nice of you Rainbow." Stargazer looked over at the celebrating mares and rolled his eyes. He began to turn his gaze to the sky once again when he noticed something out of the corner of his eye. He stood up and moved over to a part of the destroyed airship wiping away a layer of dust from part of the ship revealing lettering underneath that read Victory Dawn.

"Well that's a name I haven't heard in a while."