• Published 2nd Feb 2016
  • 1,632 Views, 130 Comments

Ice Fall - Bluespectre



Celestia has gone. The forces of the night, victorious at the battle of River Valley, push on towards the castle of the two sisters. Two friends find themselves caught up in the maelstrom of war and their lives will likely never be the same again.

  • ...
6
 130
 1,632

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter Forty Four - What Blooms in the Darkness

CHAPTER FORTY FOUR

WHAT BLOOMS IN THE DARKNESS

Winter, a time of sleeping nature and landscapes which hold a silent but deadly beauty that can snatch away the life of the unwary, or the unprepared. Sometimes, even the most experienced can find themselves taken by surprise by the fickle whims of nature, their lives snuffed out like a candle’s flame. Such were the lessons taught by the wise mare of the tribe of the Moon Goddess, a female who was respected, even feared by her own people. Bracken carried the two heavy bundles of wood back to the cabin, one slung either side of him in cradles that were uncomfortable ,but practical for the job at hoof. He’d settled in surprisingly well here;. Chalk was on his way to a full recovery and Neira had been teaching him in the healer’s arts. It was incredible the knowledge she held, and most of it was in her head too. She possessed a few books and scrolls, but those were mostly novels other members of the tribe had brought her to keep her amused during the summer months when they were back in the tribal homelands. Bracken had learned some of the history of this enigmatic people, but his knowledge of them was far from complete. In fact, despite Neira’s apparent trust of him, it was as if she were reluctant to tell him more of who they were. It did irritate him a little, but he had to admit, she had taught him more in those few months than he could ever have found out himself in a lifetime. What he was really interested in though, was healing, and Neira was more than happy to teach him. During the long nights and short days of winter, the long haired mare taught Bracken the arcane healing arts of her people. She didn’t hold anything back, and never admonished him for asking questions – if anything, Neira gave him the impression she was actually enjoying having somepony to tutor. Throughout it all though, Bracken had the odd feeling that this was something she didn’t do for just anypony, and the looks he’d received from the other tribal members had screamed at him just how ‘welcome’ he actually was there. When he’d mentioned it to Neira she’d simply shrugged it off as unimportant. Still, he didn’t like it, but so long as they could get Chalky well enough to travel and get home then it didn’t matter what the tribe thought of him.

Snoring softly, Chalk slept peacefully in his bed next to an empty bowl. The white unicorn’s appetite was back and he was recovering surprisingly well. His leg was still bound of course, but was getting stronger by the day and almost good enough to take his full weight. Unfortunately, trying to prevent him from leaping from the bed had been a task in itself and nearly resulted in a concussion from a thrown wooden bowl before Neira and Bracken had finally shoved the impatient unicorn back onto the bed. He couldn’t blame Chalk though; being confined in this cabin for months on end, not being able to walk without help - it was the boredom that was becoming the most telling in his friend’s behaviour. Bracken silently fumed inside at how long it was taking for Chalk’s leg to heal, and yet at the same time, he was secretly hoping it wouldn’t heal ‘too soon’ as that would mean…He sighed. He didn’t have to leave…did he?

Neira walked up to Bracken and helped remove his snow covered cloak. The weight off his back felt good, and he sat near down the fire to warm up while Neira re-appeared a few moments later with a roll and a hot cup of red bark tea which he accepted gratefully. He smiled at how he knew about these things now: even the simple things like which barks and leaves could be used for making tea, or where certain roots could be found to use in flavouring stews. It was eye opening just how ignorant of the world he had been before he met her, in fact the two of them seemed to be working, and even living together, better than he could ever have imagined when he first arrived there in the mountains. He felt comfortable around her, even if she did scold him occasionally when he botched potions or forgot incantations. But what was the most fascinating of all, were the ancient words of power that Neira had cautioned him against using except at the very edge of need. It was a language that could never be written, a language that had been used by the Gods at the creation of the world. They held incredible power, including the ability to call a spirit back from the brink of death. Bracken had quickly realised that this was what Neira had used to recall Chalk’s spirit back to his living body, and also how horrifyingly close his friend had come to dying from something as simple as a fall. Was life really so fragile? He shuddered at the thought. One moment you were here, the next…gone, just like that. Neira pushed in next to him and tapped his foreleg,

“Up.”

Obediently, he lifted his foreleg allowing the mare to inspect his hoof. One by one, she checked them all and nodded to herself. She was a little obsessive about hoof care, but he couldn’t fault her for being so careful. Out here, you were a long way from a trained farrier.

“I want those brushed and cleaned later, Bracken.” She said levelly, “I’ve made up a new batch of oil for them too.”

“Yes, Neira.”

“Never mind ‘Yes, Neira’ in that tone of voice.” She clucked her tongue, “Just do as I say or you’ll end up with damaged hooves.”

Bracken watched her. There was something about her today, something that spoke of irritation and a snippy edge to her words that had him worried. Something was bothering her,

“Neira? Is something the matter?”

The black mare walked over to the table and began tidying up. She didn’t look round at Bracken’s question, but replied with a cool, “No.”

“There is,” Bracken pressed, “I can tell.”

“No theres not!” Neira snapped, “And stop damned well asking me.”

Bracken sighed, “If you want to talk, I’ll listen, but only if you want to. When you’re ready.”

“Oh…stop being so bloody reasonable, you…you…!” Neira slammed a bowl down on the table, “Just…come and get your food while it’s hot. It won’t eat itself.”

Silently, the black stallion walked up to the table and pulled himself into the chair. Neira walked up behind him, her hooves quickly taking hold of his mane and moving it to one side,

“Can’t you even sit properly, child?” she tapped his hind quarter, “You’re sitting on your bloody tail too, come on, sit up…”

Bracken complied, allowing the mare to brush his tail out from under him. He frowned, watching her fussing and then walked away, tossing her mane. He’d had enough of this,

“Neira, I don’t know what’s wrong, but I want to know. I can’t help if you won’t speak to me.”

Neira span round, her eyes narrowing, “Nothing’s the matter! How many times do I have to repeat myself?” One of her ears twitched frantically. She turned away from him, her voice muffled, “Look what you’re doing to me! I never used to be like this, you’re killing me!”

“Me?!” Bracken exclaimed in surprise.

“Yes, you!” Neira stomped a hoof angrily, “Damn it!” She snatched her cloak from the rack and pulled it around herself in a fury, “I’m going out.”

Bracken watched helplessly as the mare flung open the door and charged out into the snow, slamming it shut behind her. He sat in the chair with his eyes wide open, staring at the now empty space she’d occupied only a moment ago.

“I’d go after her if I were you.” A half open green eye stared across the room at him from the bed, “You can leave the stew if you don’t want it.”

Bracken looked at his friend, the door, the stew, then back to the door…Should he go after her? Why? The silly old mare would be back soon enough wouldn’t she? But…but she was still his friend, and she was clearly upset. Something was troubling the kindly mare’s heart and here he was sitting in the cabin like a lump of wood doing nothing! No, not nothing, he would act, and he would do whatever it took to help his friend. Bracken jumped down from the table and took up the bowl in his mouth, carrying it over to Chalk’s bedside table,

“Here, greedy guts, stuff yourself senseless.”

The unicorn grinned expansively, “Oh, I intend to!”

Bracken moved quickly and grabbed his cloak, stuffing his leggings and snow shoes into a pack and taking Neira’s set with him too. The silly old bugger had left most of it behind. So much for all her lectures on preparedness! Halfway out the door, he looked back at the smiling unicorn. Chalk waved a hoof at him while he wolfed down the stew. Damn it, he’d been looking forward to that too! Shaking his head, Bracken pulled the door to and with a snort, charged out after the missing mare.

It was snowing again. It was always bloody snowing. As beautiful as it was, it was quickly covering Neira’s tracks despite him only being a matter of a minute or so behind her. Bracken pulled the hood of his cloak over his face, trying to keep the flakes from blinding him. How the hell had that mare moved so quickly? She hadn’t even taken her snow shoes with her and was still outpacing him! He moved on, pushing through the partially cleared paths that ran through the village and up towards the cleft in the mountain. He knew she’d be heading there, and then either to the cave or the pools, but something in her mannerism today suggested the most likely of the two was going to be the cave. Bracken couldn’t say why, or how, but he’d begun to understand Neira in a way he’d never done with anypony before. It was little things, the sort of things that may appear insignificant to some perhaps, but they still made a difference, like knowing just how to prepare her tea or knowing when she was tired and ready for bed. They were simple, small details that helped the two of them find their place with one another, despite the background moaning of a perpetually bored unicorn.

Bracken climbed up the slope of the mountain into the quiet of the great cleft. Snow was landing even down here, making the going a little precarious underhoof. Regardless, he pressed onwards towards the entrance to the cave. Finding it now though was simplicity itself; the connection Bracken shared with the elements of the world around him, the very bones of Equestria and the life that flowed through it, had become so instinctual he didn’t even have to think about it anymore. Tracing the lines with his hoof, the door slid open and the black stallion entered.

It never changed in here. The plants still glowed with that peculiar inner silver light, illuminating the interior of the cavern and reflecting off the small streams of crystal clear water. Bracken stopped to take a mouthful: it was delicious, incredibly fresh, and so pure it was indescribably different from anything he’d ever had back in the heartland and finer than the most expensive wines. Neira made her spirit with a mixture of berries and this very water, a concoction that was as delectable as it was potent. Unfortunately, Chalk had found out about that the hard way; Neira and Bracken had returned to the cabin one day to find him lying unconscious next to a half empty bottle. The black coated mare had been incensed, although more at Chalk stealing the spirit than anything else. The people of the tribe, it seemed, did not steal from each other. Bracken was just glad the idiotic creature hadn’t poisoned himself - these berries weren’t called ‘spirit’ berries for nothing. They had an effect on what he’d come to understand of as the ‘life force’, or ‘life energy’ as Neira called it, that every living thing had inside of them. The berries, she’d said, grew where the walls between the worlds were thinnest. Why they did, or how, nopony knew - they just did. She’d told him about the three worlds, or ‘planes’ as they were known. There was world of the living where they were, the world of the dead, and one other, the one where the thestrals came from, the one they called the ‘Wither World’. Neira had never seen it, and by the sounds of it, nopony in their right mind would ever want to.

Up ahead the first of the buildings came into view, quickly followed by the larger structures including the one he liked most of all - the one that held the books and scrolls. They were written in the language of the Crystal Empire, one he didn’t understand, and one that even Neira struggled with, but then she wasn’t really interested in it. To her, the buildings and their contents shouldn’t be disturbed. They belonged to somepony else, regardless of whether they had died long before she was born or not. In the tribe, you didn’t take that which was not yours, and it was a lesson he had taken to heart. The books and scrolls were never removed, only read and put back. Guiltily, Bracken had to admit he mostly looked at the books for the pictures, but he’d like to learn the language one day. Perhaps…perhaps he could…one day.

Bracken paused, somepony was up ahead; the voice’s were indistinct but he could definitely hear talking. Where was she? Straining his ears, he walked on, trying to locate the source of the voices. He’d not thoroughly explore this part of the cavern yet and with the lack of hoofprints on the rocky floor it was hard to see where, or even if, Neira had come this way. Bracken stopped again and listened carefully. It was hard to make out words, but it was her alright, the voices were coming from somewhere near the corner of a low building, beyond an archway half overgrown with the silver bushes. He hadn’t seen this before! Walking towards it, he saw how the ground suddenly dropped away forming a pathway carved into the very rock itself. Large stone steps furrowed from the hooves of countless ponies, disappeared down into the depths of the mountain. He had no lantern with him, but here and there, the silver plants had found a foothold and provided just enough light to help illuminate the way down. With an intake of breath, Bracken began his descent.

Several minutes of walking and the long winding steps finally began to level out. It wasn’t particularly cold down here, but he could still see his breath and, more importantly, hear Neira’s voice a lot clearer now. Part of him called to him to stop and listen to the conversation, another to press on and let her know he was there. Running through it all was the feeling that he was intruding somehow, that he shouldn’t be there. Good Goddess, she was going to wring his neck for this, he could see it! But…what else was he supposed to do? She was his friend, he couldn’t just let her wander off into the snow on her own, alone. He shook his head and walked to the end of the stairs where another archway opened out into…

“My Goddess…” Bracken whispered in shocked awe at the sight before him. There, in the centre of an enormous cavern, was…a tree. He had to look twice, rubbing his eyes in surprise, but yes, it was exactly what it appeared to be: a huge tree. There was the trunk, the leaves, the branches - everything as you’d expect from any other tree in the land, only this was on a scale that made him feel like an insect. He’d been all over Equestria, well…some of it anyway, and he’d never seen one this big! Surely somepony would have said something if they’d seen such a thing, there were certainly any amount of ponies willing to share their fantastical tales in the taverns, but he’d never heard of anything like this. What was really incredibly though, was how was it living down here? There was no natural light other than for the vast quantity of silver berry bushes, but there was certainly soil, even grass, and…He looked down at his hooves…it was! it was real grass! Celestia’s backside! When was the last time he’d seen grass?! Bracken felt like shouting in joy and throwing himself onto the ground and rolling for all he was worth, but now was not the time, now he had to try and find where Neira was. Fighting down his feelings of excitement at the new discovery, he closed his eyes and listened, trying to sense for Neira’s presence. She was here, and not far away, but the life energy flowing in this place was so overwhelming it was dulling his senses. Everywhere he looked the spirit berry bushes grew thick and lush, the sweet aroma from their vibrant crystalline fruit tantalising on the air. Bracken shook his mane and concentrated, looking for some clue as to where his friend was. Carefully walking through the bushes, just past the archway, was a quite clearly defined path leading through the silver glowing plants, alongside the thick deep green of the grass, and down towards the base of the tree - down to where two ponies sat, talking.

Bracken dropped down out of sight. He wasn’t really sure why, maybe it was his army training, but something was niggling at the back of his mind warning him to be cautious. Quietly, he moved closer, using the bushes for cover as he strained his hearing to listen to what was being said. He didn’t know who this other pony was, but she looked like a member of the tribe: that characteristic dark coat and long fur was a dead giveaway, but there was something different about this mare though, something that was niggling at him. He’d think about that later; for now though, he would just keep quiet, and listen.

“…and auntie has finally perfected her honey sponge too. I’ll have to remember to bring you a piece next time.” The young mare said conversationally.

Neira shook her head, “And how long has that taken? Purth was always hopeless with baking and I certainly wouldn’t trust her anywhere near my hearth again. The silly mare nearly burned my home to the ground making scones!”

The two chuckled.

The younger mare looked away wistfully for a moment, her expression changing, “Mum, look, I know you don’t like me to say anything, but i’m worried about you. You shouldn’t be out here alone.”

Neira rolled her eyes, “Oh, not this again!”

“Yes, this again!” The young one said with a bob of her head, “I know how stubborn you can be, and being alone out here when they go back is dangerous. What if something happened to you? You’d have nopony to help you.” She sighed, her ears flopping down, “I don’t like it mum, I really don’t.”

Neira clucked her tongue, leaning forward and gave the young mare a nuzzle,

“Myra, don’t, please, you know it upsets me when you talk about this. This isn’t the time to talk about these things.”

“But you never listen!” the young mare, ‘Myra’, protested, “There’s nothing stopping you going back to the homeland in the spring, the others will take you and…”

“And nothing!” Neira stomped a hoof, “I like being here and I like the quiet, so stop being a bloody worrywart.”

“I know why you stay here mum,” Myra replied quietly, “its because of me, isn’t it? If I wasn’t able to speak to you like this, if the King…”

“Don’t Myra, please.” Neira lifted her hoof pleadingly, “I’m an old mare, i’m not long for this world anymore and I want to move on. I want to come home and be with you all again.”

“Rubbish.” Myra snorted, “You always talk like this, about ‘how old you are’.” She waved a hoof and rolled her eyes, “You were saying that when you where twenty! You’re still young enough to take a mate and have foals mum and…” she stopped mid sentence, her head whipping round and staring right…at…Bracken.

“Ah…” She raised an eyebrow, “It would appear your ‘apprentice’ has joined us.”

Neira turned round and huffed loudly,

“Come on out then, child of the moon. If you’re that keen to eaves drop, you may as well hear what we’re saying properly.” She waved him over with a hoof.

Bracken swallowed and obediently rose to his hooves to trot over to Neira, keeping a safe distance between himself and the other mare. Noticing this, Myra walked confidently towards him, a grin on her face,

“You have a name?”

“B…Bracken, miss.” He stammered.

The mare looked at him curiously, a wry grin on her face, her eyes taking in every inch of him. He found himself staring at her eyes - they were beautiful, like two ice blue pools of mountain water. She had the same lithe yet sturdy build as Neira, her long haired coat was as black as coal, and her mane showed a slight purple tinge as she moved. Her cutie mark was a group of three waving white lines, that, like Neira’s, probably held some deeper meaning for the tribe. Bracken could hear his heart beating in his ears as she reached out to touch him,

“He’s…smooth, isn’t he…”

Neira said nothing.

Myra’s mouth curled up in a slight smile, “You didn’t say he wasn’t of our people, mother. Do the others know?”

“Of course they do.” Neira replied levelly, “And its none of their business anyway.”

Myra shrugged at her mothers response and began to walk around the black stallion, running her hoof along his neck and down his side, just as her mother had. Bracken was half expecting her to check his teeth too.

“A fine male. You would make good an excellent mate, and one with a brain too. If mother has finally decided on teaching what she knows, you should consider yourself honoured.” Myra looked back at her mother over her shoulder, “Is this the reason why you won’t be returning to the heartlands this year?”

“Th…this?!” Neira took a step back, “No! Myra, Bracken is…”

“-Bracken…” Myra cut in, her eyes sparkling, “He would be a good choice mother. I would approve of this mating.”

“You…” Neira’s cheeks flushed, “You will do no such thing! When your father died, I made a vow.”

“’No more stallions’,” Myra announced in a singsong voice, “we all know, mother, the Goddess knows how long you’ve banged out that old line.”

Neira lifted a hoof, her eyes going wide in shock, “Myra!”

Bracken felt like running for cover. The atmosphere between the two mares had changed dramatically from when he’d first found them, and Myra appeared to be enjoying baiting…her mother? Suddenly, he noticed what it was that had been niggling him earlier. Hidden in that thatch of hair, although short, but definitely there…Bracken lifted his hoof and blurted out the words before his brain could stop him,

“You’re a unicorn!”

Myra’s eyes went wide suddenly and then she stood back, her face a mask of surprise,

“Wh..where? WHERE?!”

Bracken pointed to her head, “You’ve got a horn!”

“Oh…oh my Gods!” Myra sank to her haunches, her forehooves scabbling at her head, “I…I don’t believe it! All these years, why didn’t anypony tell me? WHY?! OH GODS WHY?!” she collapsed to the floor shaking.

“Miss?” Bracken stepped forward, leaning down towards her, “I’m sorry, are you alright? It doesn’t matter if you’re a u…”

Muffled laughter rose from the shaking figure, a pair of ice blue eyes staring up at him with tears of mirth streaming down her cheeks. Bracken took a step back, his hackles going up.

“Oh Bracken!” Myra laughed, “You are fun!” She gradually got back to her hooves and looked over at Neira, “Mother, you have to introduce us,”

Neira sniffed, “I think you already know, but Myra, this is Bracken my…apprentice. Bracken, this is Myra, my daughter.”

Bracken stood liket a statue, unsure what to say. Neira had a daughter in the village? And she was a unicorn? What happened to all that ‘No unicorns in the tribe’ and ‘marked one’ rubbish? He coughed, clearing his throat nervously,

“It’s a pleasure to meet you, Myra.” He said politely, “I didn’t realise you were living in the village.”

Myra chuckled, “It’s a pleasure to meet you too, Bracken, but sadly, no…I don’t live in the village.”

“You live here?” Bracken said in surprise. But…of course, it all made sense now, didn’t it? Neira’s daughter was a ‘marked one’ like Chalky; well, that was what the tribe called unicorns at any rate, and she was living here in the mountain as a sort of exile. Perhaps it was a sanctuary of sorts, and it certainly explained why Neira would come up here on her own from time to time.

Myra suddenly jumped forward and grabbed Bracken’s neck in her forelegs, leaning her head next to his. He tried to back away but the mares grip was incredibly strong.

“Would you like me to tell you a secret, Bracken?” She breathed into his ear.

Bracken gasped, “I…”

Neira stomped a hoof angrily, “Myra! Stop this!”

The young mare ignored her, “I don’t live in the village. In fact,” she suddenly nipped her captive’s ear making him squeak in surprise, “I’m not ‘alive’ at all.”

Bracken went rigid in fright and realisation, his skin suddenly feeling as cold as ice. He realised now, far too late, just why he’d felt so keen to avoid being detected earlier - It was Myra, the way the life energy here seemed to flow around her, dancing like it was forming some sort of bubble, but not actually part of her as it was with her mother. Neira walked up to them both, her expression one of anger and frustration,

“Myra, I said stop! What’s got into you girl?”

Myra rolled her eyes, lifted her head and snuffed Bracken’s mane,

“Mmm, the smell of stallion,” she gave her mother an inscrutable look, “…wonderful.” Suddenly kissing Bracken on the cheek, the young mare pranced away, her laughter echoing around the cavern, “Oh mother! I can’t believe it! After all this time, after all these years!”

“Its not what you think!” Neira protested.

“Of course not!” Myra smiled, nodding her head and tossing her mane, “You’re too old, remember? You keep telling me over and over. Perhaps…” she gave Bracken a hungry stare, “Maybe I should…”

Neira had had enough, the mare charging in between them,

“You will NOT! He is…”

Myra’s body language suddenly changed completely, her expression quickly becoming one of gentle understanding and love. She closed her eyes and nodded to her mother,

“Its time for me to go, they’re calling for me.”

“Myra…” Neira held up a hoof.

“Mum,” Myra took her mother in her forelegs and gave her a hug, “I love you.” Stepping back, an intense glow of light began to shine at the base of the tree, radiating out towards her, “Please, don’t live your life alone. Don’t deny yourself.”

“Myra.” Neira kissed her daughter on the muzzle, slowly parting from her as the young mare backed up into the light,

“See you soon” She gave Bracken a sly wink, “…you two.”

Silence fell as the light blinked out leaving Neira and Bracken along on the grass beneath the great tree. Bracken suddenly realised he’d been holding his breath when Neira walked up to him and gave him a hard look.

“I brought your snow gear,” He said helplessly.

Neira said nothing; her eyes gazed straight into his, an unfathomable expression on her face, and then, without another word, she headed for the stairs with her apprentice quietly following in her wake. Bracken kept his head down, his ears flopping. Goddess help him, he was in for it now! Why hadn’t he stayed back at the cabin and waited for her? It wasn’t like she was helpless, far from it, she was a strong mare with a mind of her own and…and…that bloody Chalky! Why did he listen to him? WHY?!

Reaching the top of the stairs, Neira stopped and sat down on her haunches, took out her water flask and began refilling it from the stream. An awkward silence hung in the air, making Bracken feel as if he should be saying something, anything, just to explain…but explain what? He had a horrible feeling that no matter what he said it would be wrong and only inflame the already angry mare. Instead he kept quiet, even while Neira took out the leggings, and scarf from his panniers. With a silent nod, he began to walk on towards the door…and stopped.

Neira had hold of his tail in her mouth.

“Neira?”

She said nothing, her eyes were closed and her chest was heaving. What was he going to do now? The mare gradually released him and sank to her haunches, her head down,

“What do you see.” She said in a bare whisper.

Bracken turned to face her, “What I see is my teacher, and my friend.”

Neira smiled sadly, “’Friend’.” She slowly rose to her hooves, “Come on then, friend, let’s go home.”

The two left the cavern, closing the entrance behind them. Neira remained silent, her head hanging slightly. Bracken shook his mane, he couldn’t believe it; Myra was her daughter? He could only speculate what had really happened to her, but at least she was safe with the herd now. How she had managed to appear there beside the tree, as real as he was, was simply unbelievable. Neira had asked him once if he’d wanted to see somepony, or if he’d wanted to get a message to them, but…to communicate with the dead? It was…wrong, so, so wrong, and yet it now looked as if the people who had been here in the past had purposely built those buildings to serve the tree and that gateway to the next world, or whatever it was. Or maybe there was another purpose? He wasn’t sure. What was troubling him now however, was that Neira was acting strangely distant, but he was quietly hopeful she would be back to her normal self soon. He took a breath and sighed; that was the problem with this place, and with Neira: she just couldn’t let go, and Myra knew it. Bracken called out to her,

“Neira? This way, I’ve brought our bathing things.”

“Hmm?”

Bracken rolled his eyes, “Come on…’mistress’.”

Neira looked up at him, her eyes unfocussed as if in a world of her own. Bracken tapped her on the rump,

“This way.”

He was worried about her; he’d never seen her like this before. Hopefully a hot bath and a chat would help, if she wanted to chat that was - she could be infuriatingly stubborn at times. Bracken’s hooves clopped along on the rocky ground, the sound echoing slightly and then disappearing into the clouds of sulphurous steam as they entered the enormous cavern with the hot bathing pools. It was a matter of some routine now: their usual pool, the same spot they chose each time for the towel. They even entered the same way, one after the other. He grinned to himself; it was like they were an old married co…He froze. Goddess above, was he really so dense? Myra’s words came back to him, the way Neira had looked at him. He squeezed his eyes shut a moment and turned back to her. She was stood a few feet away, her head hanging sullenly with her maroon eyes downcast.

“Neira?” Bracken asked.

“Hmm?”

“Would you like me to undress you?”

“Hmm…what?” She blinked.

Bracken walked over to the mare and began undoing the clasp on her cloak. The large thing was usually easy enough to unfasten, but doing it for somepony else was proving to be more of a task than he’d expected as his hooves slipped and clattered over the smooth metal suface. Clucking his tongue irritably, he tried again, inadvertently bumping his muzzle into Neira as he did so. She gasped and jumped back,

“What are you doing?!”

Bracken rolled his eyes, “Trying to help? Or are you intending to bathe fully clothed?”

Neira didn’t seem to understand the jibe, instead she looked confused, and then furious,

“I don’t need help!” She snapped, “I’m perfectly fine. I don’t need the help of…of…anypony!”

Shrugging, Bracken neatened up the pile of his own gear and walked slowly into the pool. The heat soaking into him felt wonderful, an immediate rush of warmth and relaxation that had him groaning in sheer bliss. He closed his eyes and let the water ease away all the tension he’d been building up while beside him, further away than was usual, Neira lowered herself in.

“Myra has your coat,” Bracken said quietly, “she’s a very pretty young mare.”

Neira sniffed, “We all look pretty and young in there, hadn’t you noticed?” she leaned back and shook her mane out, “It’s only out here you look old and wizened.”

Bracken ignored the comment, “She has your spirit, and the same fire in her. I could see it in her eyes.”

“She’s damned well…” Neira slapped a foreleg into the water, “Oh, what’s it matter. She does what she does and says what she says - she’s her own mare now.”

“What happened to her?” Bracken asked quietly.

Neira closed her eyes and let out a long sigh, “She died.”

Bracken stared down into the water, “I’m sorry.”

“How can you be?” Neira replied levelly, “You didn’t know her, nopony did! Not even me! Not even her own mother! Not…not…” her voice began to fade.

“Neira, you don’t have to say anything if you don’t want to,” Bracken said gently, “I’ll still be here for you.”

“Ha! Will you?” She retorted, “I’ve heard that before! Bloody stallions, you’re all the same. You come and you go as you please, leaving nothing but widows and orphans in your wake while you swan off to fight in your pointless wars!” She gave him a hard look, “Where’s Night Rain now then?”

Bracken frowned, “Who?”

“Forgotten already eh? Poor girl.” Neira shook her head, “You think I’m a fool don’t you?”

“You know that’s not true, Neira.” Bracken said, “You’re the wisest mare I’ve ever met.”

“Wise?” The black mare thought for a moment and then leaned back with a sigh, “If only I were.” Neira sat up in the water and rubbed her eyes with her foreleg, “If I were wise, I would have done what you thought I’d done.”

“Hidden her in the cavern?” he asked.

Neira nodded, “I was in training when I became pregnant, and as much as I tried to hide it, soon everypony knew. When Neira was born, they all saw what she was…a marked one.” She took a breath, “It was a scandal, one my mother quickly ‘dealt with’. Myra was taken from me and…and I never…I never even had a chance to hold her. I barely even saw a glimpse of her.”

The pain in Neira’s voice was all too apparent. The young mare had had her foal snatched away and…the rest didn’t bare thinking about. He couldn’t even begin to imagine what she’d been through, and it was something that had haunted her all her life. He stretched his hindlegs and felt the heat travelling up them,

“What about Myra’s father?”

“Him?” she snorted, “A quick fling to get rid of some stress, that was all. I was drunk, and he looked like a fine sort of fellow, and then along came Myra.” She leaned back in the water, “You know the rest.”

“This is why you stay here isn’t it?” Bracken replied, “To be near to her.”

Neira sighed, “Partly. I wasn’t lying when I said I enjoyed the peace and quiet here. I don’t need anypony else cluttering up my life. I’m quite capable of looking after myself.”

“I know…” Bracken said quietly. He’d have to get out soon, his chest felt a little tight in there all of a sudden.

Yawning, Neira stood up, her soaking mane sticking to her neck, “Bracken, you don’t have to stay here with me, you know. I know you want to get your friend home and…”

“-I want to stay here, Neira.” Bracken cut in, “If you want me, I’ll happily stay on and work hard as your apprentice.”

“Damn it, listen to me!” She snapped, “You have somepony waiting for you, don’t you? I know you do.”

Bracken stared up at the clouds of steam rising above him like smoke, the smoke of Nightmare Moon’s mane and tail. Did he love her? He wasn’t sure. It all seemed as if those moments, those encounters with her, had been nothing more than her toying with him. When she was there with him, his heart cried out for her, screamed for her with a desperate passion, but…when was the last time he’d thought of her? He wasn’t sure - in fact, the only certainty in his whole miserable life, or so it seemed, had been the decision to stay here in mountains. He nodded to himself,

“I want to stay here, Neira. If you want me to leave, I will, but if you want me to stay, I will.”

“You can’t put that sort of decision onto my shoulders, Bracken!” she protested loudly.

The black stallion rose up out of the pool, steam pouring off him in equal measure to the water,

“But it is your decision to make. I’ve told you what I want and now it’s up to you to decide whether you want me to stay or go. It’s your home that I’m staying in after all, Neira.”

Neira pushed forward through the water to face him, her eyes smouldering, “You’re as bloody stubborn as Myra!” She furrowed her brow, “Fine then! If you want to stay with an old mare in the middle of nowhere and throw your life away, then be my guest.”

“Remember I told you that I wanted something that was for me and me alone, Neira?” Bracken said quietly, “You showed me the cavern, you showed me how to connect with the world around me as I never had before. Good Goddess, Neira, I’ve seen things other ponies wouldn’t believe, and now, now I think I know my own mind and heart well enough to know I am making the right choice.”

“You’re a bloody idiot!” Neira shouted, stomping her hoof, “By the Goddess’s grace I knew letting that unicorn into my home would bring misfortune! And…and…” She hung her head and let out a loud sigh, “Come on, lets get out. This heat’s getting to me.”

They dried off, dressed, and head out onto the mountainside. It had stopped snowing at last, and the sun was just beginning to dip on its inexorable travel towards evening. Bracken pulled his cloak in around himself and smiled; the days were noticeably longer now, thank the Goddess, but summer was still a long way off. Unexpectedly, he felt a thrill of excitement at the prospect of seeing how the mountain would change when the warmer weather came. Neira had told him about the strange flowers that grew here, the different creatures that came out of hibernation, but also about the frightening beasts that inhabited the area as well. Fortunately they rarely attacked ponies and it seemed the creature that had attacked the foal had been injured and unable to hunt its usual prey. The child who’d been attacked, Silt, had thankfully made a full recovery too. He was lucky, the Neera didn’t often leave you intact. Bracken had been surprised too, when the hunter, Jal, had suddenly appeared at their door one day with a new rug. Without much more than a grunt, he’d hoofed the rolled up skin of the Jarra to Bracken and just walked away. That was, for the most part, all they’d seen of the other residents since he’d arrived. He shook his head in wonder. They were a strange people.

The walk back felt a little strained, but Neira had recovered some of her spirit judging by the way she walked. She was a fit mare for her age, and surprisingly nimble for such a large framed pony. Still, she wasn’t as big as he was. If she had been, that would have been…well, strange. He smiled to himself, wondering what it would be like to be with a mare that was…He suddenly thought of her, of the Goddess, and cringed inwardly. Suddenly, the reasons for joining the army, for getting away and forgetting everything and everypony, seemed more reasonable than they ever had. Nightmare Moon, the Goddess of the night…had she really had Pickles murdered? Had she really done something so cruel, so…evil? He closed his eyes. He didn’t want to think about that, all he wanted to do was get in and have a cup of that spirit and…

“Oof!” he’d bumped right into something, or as it turned out, somepony. Rubbing his muzzle, he looked up to find it was the mare he’d first encountered after his unceremonious landing on the Jarra. What was her name again? Hesta? Yes, that was it. He opened his mouth to speak, but his words died in his mouth as his eyes followed the gaze of the brown coated pony…“Chalky?”

Bracken stared. He couldn’t quite understand what he was looking at; it couldn’t be his friend, he was still in bed in the cabin and probably thieving Neira’s drink again. And yet here, before him and a group of cloaked ponies, a large wooden post and cross beam had been erected between the cabins; tied to it, splayed out like some horrific hunting trophy, was a bloodied, bedraggled white unicorn. Bracken was frozen in place with shock. This wasn’t happening was it? It was another trick of the mountains, he was dreaming or…oh Goddess…oh no…

By order of the Goddess, all spies are to be put to death.” A voice announced from beyond the throng of cloaked ponies, “This Celestian has been found being harboured in territory belonging to her Divine Majesty.The traitors amongst you shall be weeded out and dealt with. Any of you who knowingly hide these traitors to her Divine Majesty will similarly be dealt with.

Bracken pushed his way through, desperate to reach his friend, only to be roughly shoved in the chest by a huge armoured creature. He remembered them all too well: he’d fought them, he’d killed them, and now the monstrous things were here to plunge his world and his friends into darkness. He reached for his sword, realising too late that he’d left the damned thing under the bed along with Chalk’s gear. Quickly, Bracken began edging away from the throng. If he was careful, he’d be able to get to the cabin and his weapons - there weren’t many of the things, only what...four? Maybe five? He figured he could take two or maybe three with the crossbow, the sword would do for the rest. He glanced up at Chalk. The bastards had really done a number on him. The poor sod was black and blue, with blood seeping down his muzzle, but at least he was alive. They’d tied him to that wood like…he didn’t want to think about it. He had to get him down, he had to move.

Bracken snuck around the back of the cabin, quickly slipping in through the front door and found his sword and crossbow where he’d left them. As quickly as he could, he loaded it and was back out the door. He couldn’t delay now, Chalk was still recovering and what these filth had done to him would only make things a hell of a lot worse. He had a plan, but he’d have to be fast. Hurrying to the side building, Bracken pressed himself up against the wall, watching for the thestrals to turn his way, but their attention was all focussed now on the mare walking towards them. Damn it! Neira!

The black mare threw back her hood and addressed the thestrals,

“Who are you?” She asked in a loud authoritative voice, “And how dare you enter our village and attack our guest.”

The tallest of the thestrals fixed her with a red eyed glare, “You are the village elder?

“I am,” Neira replied, “my name is Neira. And who, are you?”

I am Lieutenant Falcion of the First Order of the Royal Inquisitorial Inspectorate Command.” He lifted his muzzle and stared down it at her with undisguised loathing, “And you are under arrest for harbouring the enemy.

“And you’re a cock.” She replied tossing her mane. Bracken cringed, he knew who she’d picked that phrase up from! He edged closer while she continued, “This pony saved a foal who was about to be eaten alive and this is how he is repaid?” Neira stepped out from the crowd of ponies and addressed them, “Our people understand what it is to repay a selfless act, Lieutenant. I’d have thought thestrals would have understood that as well. Perhaps I was wrong?”

The black armoured creature’s eye twitched, “How dare you! You slab toothed sub creature, you are nothing! Your kind are nothing, and soon, all of you shall be taught to know your place.” He sneered at her, “You are prey animals…nothing more than cattle.”

Neira snorted, her maroon eyes glinting in the sunlight, “Your arrogance is a poor reflection of the faith the Goddess has placed in you, thestral. Your kind have treated us like dirt from the moment you arrived in our home, and one day, she will see you for what you truly are and send you back to the hell that spawned you.”

The situation began to escalate rapidly. The thestral officer reached behind him and unbuckled his axe while the tribesponies simultaneously reached for anything to hoof: axes, swords, spears, all of them appearing from under their cloaks as if they had been expecting something like this from the very beginning. The rest of thestrals drew their weapons, the Lieutenant screaming in anger as he turned to one of his warriors who was holding a spear,

“Kill it!” he yelled, waving at Chalk, “Kill the Celestian!”

Obediently, the thestral warrior lifted his spear towards Chalk’s chest as behind him the ponies surged forward. The Lieutenant and his warriors replied with the roar of fire and in moments, the scream of battle engulfed the village. Bracken was already running, his unloaded crossbow dropped into the snow before the thestral with the spear had even hit the ground. He reached Chalk, but without a ladder, there was no chance of getting him down without risking more injury. He needed help, but the once quiet village had suddenly become a bloody, screaming battlefield of blood and death. What the hell could he do now? There was only one thing he could do: he drew his sword, took a breath, and plunged towards the thestrals.

The armoured creatures were packed together, hemmed in by the furious villagers. The look of anger and sheer hatred on their faces was terrifying and the thestrals were quickly being swamped. Two were already down, the last three backing up and spewing out gouts of fire to try and give themselves some room. It wasn’t having much effect however, as the cloaks of the tribe did little more than smoulder and steam under the onslaught, allowing their wearers to press in with their attacks. Bracken leaped up, his sword held in his forehooves and brought the blade down in a savage arc that nearly decapitated the first thestral he reached. The last two noticed him too late, one turning just as Bracken’s sword came up under its throat and opened it to the chill air. Crimson blood poured out onto the churned ground, steaming like the hot pools in the cave, but Bracken didn’t stop, his mind was focussed with deadly intent on his enemy, the last thestral - the Lieutenant.

The creature blasted fire at him. He’d had it before, he didn’t care, he wanted this rats life and nothing, nothing was going to stop him now. The thestral officer’s wings snapped out and he lowered his stance, preparing to leap into the air, but Bracken was already on him, wrestling the vile thing to the ground. The beast snapped at him with its viciously sharp teeth, receiving a hoof in the face in reply that cracked its jaw with a sickening crunch. Stunned, the Lieutenant was rapidly set upon by the rest of the villagers as Bracken pulled himself away, leaving the thestral to his fate. Wiping his muzzle, he looked about at the morass that had once been the centre of the village only moments ago, the pristine white snow now soaked in blood and the bodies of villagers and thestrals alike. Behind him, the cries and yells of the villagers faded into the background…his eyes drawn to the crumpled mass on the ground.

He saw her.

Bracken dropped his sword and walked towards the cloaked ruin and dropped to his knees. He already knew...Lifting her in his forelegs, he cradled her head and closed his eyes as grief took him…He already knew…

Hesta walked up beside him, leaning on her spear, “Bracken, your friend’s alive, we’ve taken him back to your cabin. He’s going to be alright.”

The black stallion said nothing. He barely heard the words; all he wanted to do now was hold her, his mentor, his friend…Bracken could feel his heart screaming in rage and torment, crying out in horror at the world, at it cruelty, its unfeeling injustice…it was pointless asking why, he already knew the answer. The world didn’t care, it just…was. He gritted his teeth, riding the surge of anger and pain, feeling it coursing through him like a tidal wave. Tears stung at his eyes while he pressed his muzzle into Neira’s fur. She was still warm, yet the life, that wondrous, precious spark, had gone. He let out a breath, his voice low and empty,

“Help me with her.”

Hesta called two of the others over, the two ponies waiting for Bracken to tell them what to do. At his instruction, the broken body of the mare was lifted and gently placed upon his back, while a shovel was strapped to his pannier. As carefully as he could, Bracken began the walk up the mountainside, taking his mare home.

He felt every jolt, he felt every step…he would remember it all. She had given so much both to him and Chalk, the least he could do for her now was this. Hesta, the black and brown mare followed in silence. He didn’t care, all he could think about was Neira - she was all that mattered now. He carried her through the cleft in the mountain and into its heart, carrying his loss, his guilt, and his pain with him. Along the winding path between the silver spirit berry bushes and down the long steps into the cavern with the tree, he walked. Silently, Bracken crossed the field of sweet grass, before he reached a place beneath the sheltering braches.

Bracken dropped to his knees, letting Hesta help him gently lift Neira from his back and lay her down on the lush grass. Carefully, he took out the grooming kit and placed it beside her. Memories assailed him; the way he’d brushed her mane, the feeling of closeness as she’d lifted his and ran the bristles through it, fussing over the tangles and knots that he always seemed to have. He smiled sadly, trying to make her comfortable, placing her cloak beneath her as a blanket. She looked so young, so vibrant. Neira was a mare in her prime of life, with so much to live for. He’d help her look her best, even with his clumsy and fumbling hooves he at least could brush out that magnificent mane and tail. Neira would look wonderful by the time he’d finished: her coat would glisten in the silver light, her eyes gleaming above the knowing smile that made his heart race so. It was…it was…

“Bracken? It’s alright, she’s safe here now.”

A hoof on his shoulder gave him pause, and he looked up into the ice blue eyes of Myra. She smiled down sadly at him,

“She’s safe.”

Bracken turned away, returning to his brushing.

“Bracken?”

The black stallion’s voice was echoing and distant, “Myra, I failed her. I should have stayed with her.” His voice quavered, “That should be me there, not her…not her.”

Neira’s daughter shook her head, “I know you would have done your best, Bracken. Mum wouldn’t have trusted just anypony with her knowledge.” She glanced at Hesta, “Help him.”

Hesta moved up but Bracken lifted his hoof, “No. I was her apprentice, I was the one she trusted. This is for me to do and nopony else.”

Hesta nodded, “I understand.”

“Bracken…” Myra sat down beside him, her eyes glinting mysteriously in the silver light, “The body is only a vessel for the soul. Neira no longer inhabits this one, you don’t have to…”

“Please Myra…” Bracken whispered, “Please…”

The mare closed her eyes and walked round to sit by Hesta. If they were talking, if they just sat in silence, Bracken didn’t know, nor care. Neira had to look her best, and she would. It was the least he could do. Soon…all too soon, he finished.

“Myra, what do your people do…” He took a shuddering breath.

The young mare, bowed her head, “Usually we cremate the dead, returning their ashes to the world.”

Bracken closed his eyes, “No. I don’t want that, I don’t want to…to burn her.” He looked up at Myra, “I want to bury her here, beside the tree, where she can become one with the place she loved. He gave her a questioning look, but Myra nodded, smiling,

“I think she’d like that.”

Taking up his shovel, Bracken made the first cut into the earth, carefully removing the turf and then digging down. Here she would rest, here her body would slowly return to the land, helping to nourish the tree, the grass and spirit berry bushes. Her people would remember her, he would remember her, he would…always…

*****************************

“Hey big guy, waddaya think, eh?” Chalk leapt up and down, virtually spinning with excitement, “No pain! I feel great!”

“Yeah, thats good news, Chalky.”

The white unicorn stopped and stared at his friend, “Bracken, come on dude, I know you’re hurting but you can’t let it rule your life. You’re still young for bucks sake! You’ve got the world to explore!”

Bracken shook his head and began gathering their equipment, food, water and everything else needed for a hike through the mountains. There was only one thing wrong…

“Hey, where’s your stuff?” Chalk asked curiously.

Bracken continued packing without looking up, “I’m not going with you.”

“Eh?” Chalk had a double take, “Come on now, don’t take the piss.”

“I’m not.” Bracken sighed, “This is my home now, Chalky. These are my people.”

“Your what?! Have you lost the plot or something? We’re nothing like these guys!” Chalk stomped around the room, tossing his mane angrily, “For the Goddesses’ sake, have you seen them? They’re all like long haired, dark coated miseries! Have you ever seen one smile?”

“Chalky, shut up.” Bracken grumbled.

“I damned well will not!” the unicorn snapped, “I know what this is about Brack, I’m not that stupid.” Chalk advanced on Bracken and poked him in the chest, “Neira’s death was not your fault, and you know it too, even if you won’t admit it to yourself.”

Bracken gritted his teeth, “I said shut up, Chalky! You’re really starting to wind me up!”

“Good!” Chalk said angrily, “ Somepony needs to, you’re being a complete cock about the whole thing and I damned well know for a fact that Neira wouldn’t have wanted to see you throw your life away like this.”

“What do you know about it!? Nothing, that’s what!” Bracken shouted suddenly shoving his friend away from him, “You didn’t know her! You spent most of the time pissed out of your skull on alcohol while she did everything she could to help you recover. I was the one who spent time with her, I was the one who was learning who I really was inside, I was the one who lo…” he shook his head suddenly, “Don’t you bloody well tell me how to live my life!”

Chalk sniffed loudly, “Well I am, so I guess its just tough then isn’t it? Celestia’s arse, Brack, you’re supposed to be the sensible one, now you’re acting like a total tool.”

“You’re the one whose…” Bracken let out a loud neigh and snatched up his cloak, “I’m going for a walk. Try not to get yourself crucified while I’m out.”

“Oh, that’s right!” Chalk shouted after his friend, “You flounce off, you big filly’s…”

The door slammed shut.

Chalk stormed over to the bed and began packing the last of his gear, all the while swearing under his breath about the mindless boorishness of ‘bloody earth ponies’. What the hell was wrong with him? Bracken had been acting strangely ever since the Princess had pulled that spell out of him, and don’t even get him started on the mystical mumbo jumbo the bull headed twit had been spewing since they arrived in the village! The black stallion had discovered some sort of ‘inner karma’ that he used to ‘align his cosmic energies’ or some such crap. There had to be something in the food they were eating that was making him like this, or maybe it was in the drink? Chalk wandered over to the cupboard and pulled out a bottle of the spirit,

“Yup, definitely ‘something’ in it”, he muttered to himself taking a mouthful, “Damned good though.” And what Bracken didn’t see wouldn’t hurt him, right? He snuck another bottle into his pack.

Meanwhile, Bracken, blissfully unaware of his friend’s pilfering, pushed his way through the snow and up towards the cleft. Most of the villagers avoided this place, even Hesta, who hadn’t wanted to return after they’d buried Neira. In actual fact she’d refused point blank and the villagers had carried on with their reclusive existence as if nothing had ever happened. The dead had been cremated and their ashes returned to the earth; as for the thestrals, they had been…disposed of.

The Yarra would feed well.

Inside the mountain, Bracken walked up to the tree and lay down beside Neira’s grave. Small flowers had begun to bloom here - tiny white snowdrops and another blue flower that he didn’t recognise. He’d thought about a headstone, or some sort of memorial, but it seemed pointless somehow. Nopony came here but him, and he carried her memory in his heart wherever he went. It was only now, far, far too late, that he’d realised how he’d really felt about her. He closed his eyes and let out a sigh; it was too late… Bracken leaned down and sniffed the flowers. How they’d gotten there, he had no idea, but their gentle fragrance helped to sooth his aching heart. He shook his head slowly. That bloody unicorn…

Bracken had been back here nearly every day since Neira had died. Yet after he’d laid her body to rest, he’d never seen her, nor Myra again. In a way, it was a relief, he’d felt strange about speaking to Myra in the first place and he held the belief that once somepony had moved on, it wasn’t right to…well, to bother them really. Besides, how could the living move on if they were tied to the dead? And yet…here he was, lying beside the grave of the long haired black mare. By the Goddess he missed her. Bracken got up and walked over to the glowing silver bushes and plucked one of the crystalline berries. He’d been warned by Neira not to eat them here, due to her belief that you could somehow ‘overdose’ on life energy. He supposed she was right, but couldn’t really see what harm it would do to just have one. Besides, would it really matter if anything did happen to him? He chuckled to himself; it was all hopeless anyway when you boiled it down, wasn’t it? Pickles, Neira, who was next? Fate seemed hell bent on killing everypony he was close to and had had a damned good go at killing Chalky too. It was only by the grace of the Goddess that he was still alive. In fact, if there was one common denominator in all of the misery that followed in his wake, it was Bracken himself. He was the Jonah, he was the black pit that sucked down any and all light into its eternal darkness. He shouldn’t be here, he didn’t want to be here, he didn’t want to be anywhere or be anything. He was just so tired of it all, all he wanted was to sleep, and let the damned world keep its misery to itself.

Bracken took the berry and placed it on his tongue.

It was a strange taste, a little sharp, but not unpleasant. Biting down, the juice burst out with a sweetness that was unlike anything he’d ever eaten before. There was a hint of the flavour that he had from Neira’s liquor, but that was nothing compared to this! He ran it around the inside of his mouth and sighed. It was so good! He took another, munching through it and feeling its warmth and sweetness shiver through him. Good Goddess, he couldn’t stop eating the things…

“Trying to kill yourself?”

Bracken froze, one of the berries halfway to his open mouth.

“I thought better of you than that.”

The familiar voice made Bracken’s heart leap into his mouth.

“My apprentice.”

He closed his eyes, not daring to look. Was he hearing things? No, not here. His heart was beating so loudly he thought it would burst, his stomach was churning, his legs shaking…he whispered her name,

“Neira.”

The voice sounded bemused, “The very same.”

She was close now, right beside him in fact. Bracken felt an electrifying jolt of fear and excitement run through his body from his muzzle to his tail; not daring to open his eyes, he could barely even breathe. Oh Luna help him, he shouldn’t be here! He shouldn’t have come! Just then, something warm and furry pushed up against his muzzle sending a shock through him and making his knees twitch. A new scent wafted over his nose, tantalising…inviting. With so many thoughts and emotions all clamouring for attention in his mind, Bracken felt like squeezing himself into a ball - much to the amusement of the newcomer. The voice purred in his ear,

“Don’t you want to see me?” She gave him a little push with her muzzle, “Open your eyes, my Bracken.”

‘My Bracken’. He’d heard that before, when others had claimed him: Pickles, the Goddess, and now Neira, all but one of them suffering because of him, all…because of him.

“I’ll nip your ear if you don’t behave.” Neira chuckled, “In fact, I just might anyway,” her voice changed to a whisper, “they look delectable.”

With a squeak of fright, Bracken jumped away, stumbling as he tried to stop himself from falling onto the grave. Horrifyingly, he felt his legs tangling themselves and pitched him forward into…

“Well! That was a surprise!”

Bracken gasped as he found himself hanging in the outstretched forelegs of a familiar black mare, her maroon eyes bright with life. He stared into them, his fear melting away as his emotions surged. Tears stung the corner of Brackens eyes. She was here…dear Goddess…it was Neira.

Without another word, Bracken leaned forward taking Neira into an embrace, his tears now flowing freely down his face and soaking his coat. He didn’t care, he was with her, he was with Neira.

“I’m sorry,” Bracken gasped between sobs, “I’m sorry, I’m so sorry…”

Neira shushed him, rubbing his back as he shook with grief,

“Why?” she said quietly, “You have nothing to be sorry for. I’m with my family now; I’m with Myra, my mother, my father, they’re all here with me.”

Bracken held her tightly, his voice muffled from burying his muzzle in her mane,

“I want to be there too, I want to be with you.”

Neira smiled, “But why? Bracken, you have a life here in this world, you have friends and those who love you.” She tried to move away but he clung to her desperately, his words rolling out, filled with pain and desperation,

“I know what it was I wanted. It wasn’t the cavern, or the ruins…” He finally let her go, his eyes bloodshot with tears, “It was you…it was always you,” Bracken sniffed, “I...I didn’t realise it until…”

The black mare gave him a light nuzzle, “You really are hopeless.” She lifted her hoof, using her foreleg to brush away his tears, “Look at you, you’re a mess.” Neira suddenly looked away, “I…I suppose I am too…” she turned back to him, her eyes brimming with tears, “It’s your fault, you bloody idiotic stallion!” In a flash she grabbed him and pulled him into a tight embrace, rubbing her head up against his neck, her breathing deep and breathy, “It’s all your fault…”

Abruptly, Neira stood back, beckoning Bracken to sit beside her on the outstretched cloak and produced a small basket which she held up to him with a smile. He sniffed the contents,

“They smell wonderful!”

“My sister’s honey cakes,” Neira said happily, “she used to be the worst cook in Equestria, but now,” she shrugged, “she bakes cakes.” She slid nearer to him, twisting round to brush her tail out of the way, “Would you like one?”

Bracken nodded, “I’d love one.”

“Close your eyes then.”

“Eh?” Bracken furrowed his brow, then dutifully obeyed, closing his eyes and waited.

Neira’s voice sounded gentle, feminine and exotic,

“Open your mouth.”

Bracken waited, and then it came. The soft moist taste of freshly baked cake, drizzled with honey, pushing against his lips and then crumbling slightly as it entered his mouth. He went to take a bite and paused - there was something else here, something soft, warm and headily enticing. The black stallion moved into her, feeling the mare’s lips against his, sharing the honey flavoured delicacy as a moan escaped her throat. Bracken’s heart leaped, his forelegs entwining with his mare’s in the sweet taste of cake and…Neira.

Beneath the tree, two worlds met, if only for the briefest moment in time. Bracken and Neira held each other, their breath mingling in the cool air and heady scent of the lush grass and berry bushes. It was a moment that Bracken wished could last forever; right there, right then, he wanted nothing more than to go with her into the light he knew would come all too soon to take her back to her new home. There were some things that you couldn’t change: death…was one.

Nearby, a pair of ice blue eyes watched them quietly from the cover of a thick group of spirit berry bushes. Myra smiled quietly to herself. Fate was harsh, but sometimes…sometimes love could find a way. It just needed a little push now and then. Chuckling to herself, she wandered back down the other side of the hill out of earshot. As much as she was overjoyed at the sight of her mother’s happiness, there were some things that were private, and this was definitely one of those.

**************************

Neira lay across Bracken’s neck, her forelegs draped over his chest and a warm feeling in her chest. He was a wonderful stallion, he was strong and brave, a true warrior…she hummed quietly to herself, taking in his scent. Her coat was becoming distinctly uncomfortable, and urgently needed a clip. Summer in the eternal herd was, to be truthful, very much eternal. Of course, she could have opted for colder climes, some creatures naturally favoured such places, but the sunshine and blue sky, the thick green grass and golden fields of wheat - oh, and those apples! So sweet! She loved it there, it felt…right. All she needed now was something to fill her heart as she’d always wanted, and here it was, or rather he was, dozing quietly beside her. How she wanted to take him back with her! She took a deep breath and sighed it out. It wasn’t fair, but then, what was? Bracken felt guilty for trying to save his friend, and she felt guilty for putting herself in harms way and breaking his heart. She didn’t know how he’d felt about her, and after that time here when he’d first met Myra, when he said she was…a friend, her heart had cracked like glass. She should have known, she should have realised then! But now…now at last, she did. If only she could stay with him, just a little longer.

“Neira?” Bracken murmured.

“Mmm?”

Bracken snuggled into her, “I don’t want you to go.”

“I know,” Neira said gently tousling his mane, “I don’t want to.”

“I want to come with you.”

Neira closed her eyes and took a breath, “I know, I…I’m sorry, Bracken, but…I’ll wait for you, if…if you want me to.”

Bracken twisted around so he was facing her. With a smile, he tapped her on the nose,

“Stop that! I know you better than that, Neira.” He leaned forward and kissed her, “And you know how much I want to be with you,” Bracken nuzzled her softly, “always.”

“Oh Goddess, I love you so much, you bloody stupid stallion.” Neira grabbed him and pulled him into a hug, “I’m hot, sticky and my hearts racing. And look at my mane! It’ll take days to get this right again!”

Bracken laughed, “I like that look, you look…wild.” He growled low in his throat, “Like nature untamed, a mare who will take what she wants and has a mind like a razors edge.”

“Ha!” Neira scoffed, rolling Bracken onto his back, “You think you know me, do you?”

“I think I know enough to know that I love you.” He chuckled.

Neira paused, closing her eyes, “Oh, Bracken.” She leaned down and kissed him, “You want to see nature untamed?”

“Mmm”

She suddenly grabbed him, “I hope that cake gave you some energy, my stallion…you’re going to need it.”

“Mother?” Myra’s voice called out, “MOTHER?”

Neira clucked her tongue and rolled her eyes in frustration, “Damn it, just when I was getting to the good part too.” She pulled Bracken into a deep kiss before finally, breathlessly, letting him go, “I promise you, I will wait for you Bracken. Time isn’t the same in the herd, and it’s such a wondrous place, I want to share it all with you…but don’t…you know, don’t do anything…silly.”

He knew. Bracken closed his eyes and nodded, “Will I be able to see you again? Here, like this?”

Neira sat up, looking across at her daughter who was feigning shocked outrage at seeing her mother in such an unflattering position,

“I don’t know, my Bracken. The King it seems has a soft spot for ‘situations’ like ours and especially the children of the night, but contact between the realms is usually strictly prohibited. It appears we have friends in high places.” She tapped him on the nose, “I’ll have to butter him up with some more honey cake.”

Bracken smiled, “Neira, I want to stay here in the mountains. I want to be part of the tribe. I want to be near you.”

Neira smiled sadly, “I don’t know Bracken, I used to think that this was where I belonged too, but…” she glanced at Myra, “You need to move on, my love. Don’t waste your life wasting away here, there’s a whole world out there that could benefit from a certain black earth pony stallion.”

Bracken sat up in alarm, “But if I move away…”

“I’ll always be with you,” Neira placed her hoof on his chest, “here, within you.”

Bracken nodded, “And I with you, my love.”

Neira climbed off him and gave herself a shake, “Come on, I want you to see me off with a smile.”

Myra trotted over, “You’d better behave yourself out there, mister stallion, or I’ll be waiting in the afterlife with a lump of wood with your name on it.”

Her mothers eyes went wide, “Myra!”

Myra shrugged dismissively, “Just saying.”

Bracken gave Neira a final embrace, kissing her gently on the nose,

“See you soon.”

Black forehooves suddenly grabbed him and pulled him into a deep kiss, taking his breath away. Neira’s eyes sparkled like diamonds as she finally let him go,

“Look for me where the spirit berries grow,” she said huskily, “you’re an earth pony, you can see them for what they are.” She groaned as the light began to envelop her, “I will be there, my stallion. I love you, Bracken, I love you with all my heart.”

Bracken lifted his hoof, “I love you too,” he called, “my mare.”

The black stallion sank to his haunches, watching the light wink out while the world re-arranged itself, leaving him alone beneath the tree. Strangely, he felt…alive, happier than he had in ages. He turned and headed back towards the path, letting out a sudden whoop of excitement and broke into a gallop, charging up the stairs and out through the cave. He didn’t stop until he reached the cabin: hot, steaming and utterly exhausted. Crashing in through the door, Bracken made Chalk jump in surprise, the startled unicorn leaping back as if the black stallion were going to kill him. Bracken smiled, his heart soaring with a joy and levity he thought he’d lost. Neira was safe, she was with the herd, but she was safe. He trotted over to his bed and began pulling out his gear,

“Chalky, get packed, we’re leaving in the morning.”

“What?! I thought you wanted to stay here?” Chalk asked in amazement at his friends sudden change of heart.

“I do.” Bracken paused a moment, “Sort of.” He shrugged, “Let’s just see if we can find this bloody wizard first though, eh?”

“Oh, hell yeah!” Chalk returned to his packing, “What’s brought this on all of a sudden?”

“Somepony with a lot more sense than I have, gave me a good talking to.” Bracken grinned, “I just needed somepony to show me the way forward, that was all.”

“And that’s looking for this wizard?” Chalk shook his head, “I thought we’d agreed to go back?”

Bracken snorted loudly, “After all this time? We may as well try. I’m going to ask the others before we go, somepony in the village may have heard something.”

“Huh, so long as it doesn’t involve more bloody snow, I don’t mind.” Chalk wrestled with his panniers, “I’m fed up of cold and I want to get out of this bloody cabin too. I’ve never been so bored in my life.”

Bracken smiled. He liked it here, it was near the cavern, near his beloved mare, but now she wanted him to move on and live the rest of his life rather than gradually fading away in the emptiness of the mountains as she had. One day, when his time here was done they would be together again, and what stories he would share with her!

Morning came with the sound of snow dropping off the cabin roof with a loud rumble and thud that had Chalk leaping from his bed and instinctively reach for his sword. Being out here, after everything they’d experienced, had all but made the two ponies nervous wrecks. Bracken rolled his eyes and yawned, pulling the covers off himself. It was early, far too early really, but they’d need to make a start sooner or later. They’d get their gear together and be away soon, but first they’d need to have some breakfast and then see Jal and Hesta. Those two had already agreed to help guide the two friends out of the mountains and back into the heartlands. Sadly, neither of them had any idea about any wizards, which wasn’t that surprising considering how reclusive the tribe was. What really wrankled Bracken though, was the complete indifference most of the tribe had to the death of not only Neira, but several of the villagers as well. They were an enigma, all of them. Perhaps one day, Neira would tell him more about them. He smiled to himself - hopefully that day wouldn’t be too long in coming.

There was a knock at the door. It was Jal.

“Thestrals.”

He stood back, allowing Bracken and Chalk to hurry to the doorway.

“Hell fire! I should have know they’d come back here looking for their missing goons.” Chalk turned to Bracken, “Thoughts?”

“There’s too many of them,” he replied, “we wouldn’t stand a chance.”

“Bluff it out?”

Jal pointed to Chalk, “You could not pass as one of the people, but you could.” He nodded towards Bracken, “You were closer to the Elder than any of us.”

The implication was clear. Bracken sighed, throwing his yak cloak over himself,

“Get yourself under the bed, Chalky, and keep your bloody big gob shut.”

Chalk pulled a face and disappeared back inside. Just before he shut the door, he peered out at his friend,

“There’s going to be two loaded crossbows in here. Any of the buckers starts arsing around, they’re going to find this unicorn less of a pushover than their mates did.”

Bracken pushed him back in and shut the door. The last thing they needed was a heroic last stand from an enraged unicorn. He gave himself a shake,

“Come on Jal, let’s go meet our guests.”

The two ponies walked towards the centre of the village, the place that had, not that long ago, been a scene of blood and suffering. Now, it was as quiet and peaceful here as it ever had been. Bracken stood waiting with his heavy cloak covering him and making him look, for all intents and purposes, like any other member of the tribe. Jal stood beside him, his short spear hidden beneath his cloak. A window shutter twitched closed on one of the nearby cabins, leaving just enough of a gap to see. Bracken gave himself a shake. He knew already that the rest of the village wouldn’t hesitate should they come under attack, but if he could avoid fighting, he would. There’d been enough death here in this tranquil place.

The first of the thestrals flew in and landed a few yards away while several of the others circled the village before taking positions on the perimeter. The creature before them was around average height and sleek, its armour as black as its hide and covered in sharp protrusions. A wicked looking battle axe was strapped to the things back beside a heavy crossbow. Bracken resisted a knowing smile; several of them had been trained on the newcomer the second its hooves had hit the ground.

The black armoured equine nodded to him, the first time he’d seen anything even approaching civility from these things,

Who is the village elder here?” it asked.

Bracken nodded, “I am.”

The thestral paused, looking at the pony before him with a look of confusion,

And you are?

“I am Bracken, apprentice to Neira.”

Yes…” the thestral looked around himself and gave his mane a shake, “Do you have a place we can talk, Elder?

Jal spoke up, “Tyrei’s cabin is empty, we could use that, but the fire has not been lit for some time.”

“That will do,” the thestral said hurriedly, “I want to get out of this cold. Could you provide some hot drinks to my warriors?”

Jal nodded.

The thestral bobbed his head, “My thanks. Elder Bracken, I am Raise, First Captain of the Second Spearhead.” He smiled, “Please, forgive my sudden arrival, however I was hoping you may be able to help us.

Bracken’s mind was in a whirl. The blue eyed creature before him was speaking to him as if he were an equal. Why? What was this thing after? He felt his hoof twitching, but maintained his decorum,

“If it is within my power to help you, First Captain, I will do so.”

Excellent!” the officer leaned over to help Jal lay the fire. He waved him off a moment later when he produced the tinder box, “Please, allow me.” With a quick intake of breath, the thestral shot a thin stream of flame into the fireplace which quickly caught and took flame. In short order, warmth began to trickle out into the room.

Thank the Goddess,” Raise said with a sigh of relief, “I thought we were going to freeze to death out there.” He sank to his haunches and took off his helmet, “Elder Bracken, I’m sorry to trouble your village, however I’m looking for a missing patrol.

“A missing patrol?” Bracken asked.

Raise nodded, “One of the Inquisitorial units failed to report back. They were out looking for Celestian incursions into our lands, but we haven’t heard from them since and they are well overdue.” He looked up at Bracken, “Have they been this way?

Bracken shook his head, “No, I’m sorry First Captain, your patrol has not been through here. I fear the mountains can be especially treacherous this time of year.”

I can believe it.” the thestral replied solemnly, “I knew as soon as they went past the date to report back that we’d lost another group. Those damned Celestians are ambushing our warriors wherever and whenever they can.” He shook his head, “I lost my son last week, and my mate the week before that.” He barked out a laugh, “I expect I’ll be next to join the Goddess if this keeps up!

Bracken didn’t reply. The thestral had lost his ‘mate’ had he? His son too? These murdering filth had murdered his mare and what, he wanted sympathy? They deserved everything they got for the pain and horror they’d brought down upon his new home. Dear Goddess, he could still smell the smoke from the cremation fires, the iron of the blood on his cloak…the blood of his beloved Neira…He jumped as Jal reached over to him and placed a hoof on his shoulder. Raise gave them a curious look,

Is everything alright?

Jal cleared his throat, “Forgive us, First Captain, we lost our last elder only recently. It was a devastating loss for the tribe.”

Oh,” the thestral officer bowed his head, “I’m sorry for your loss. Forgive me, It was insensitive of me to talk of these things.

Bracken gave the officer a curious look, “You…don’t seem like other thestrals I’ve met, First Captain.”

Don’t I?” Raise shrugged, “I expect it’s because I was one of the first to arrive in Equestria and make contact with the tribes. I’ve been around the children of the night for such a long time now, I sometimes think of myself as one of you rather than my own people. I think I drove my mate mad with the stories I told her of my time here.

“I expect tribal society here is similar to that in your home.” Bracken replied.

Not at all.” Raise took a cup of tea from Jal with a nod of thanks, “Your people are more of a” he waved a hoof, looking for a way to describe what he was thinking, “…semi nomadic hunting society, made up of smaller groups. Our society is made up of tribes, yes, but they are much larger and we are raised from birth as warriors. Few of us, mainly the young, sick, weak or elderly, become the farmers, the labourers and the food gatherers of our people.

Bracken’s interest was picqued, “Why so many warriors?”

Raise laughed, “It is our way, as this,” he indicated the room around them, “is your way. As well teach a fish to fly or a bird to swim.

Bracken wasn’t going to point out he’d seen both. “What do you intend to do when the war is over, First Captain?” he asked.

The thestral took a sip of his tea and sighed, “Ah, well, that’s an easy one.

Bracken raised an eyebrow, “It is?”

I want to be a farmer.

“But, you said…”

In thestral society, remember.” Raise explained, “Here, in Equestria, the land is very different. Have you seen the soil, here? It’s so rich, so full of life! Imagine being able to grow living things, to see your trees full of fruit, the long rows of golden wheat and barley. My friends think me strange, but I’m not the only one, Elder, many of us tire of all the endless fighting, and endless wars.” He tapped his helmet, “Anyway, the war is over now. We just need to deal with these terrorists and then I can get down to the serious work of planting. The only enemies I want to deal with then are grubs trying eat my apples!

Bracken shook his head in amazement, “I hope you find your peace here, First Captain, I truly do.”

Raise smiled, “Thank you Elder. Now, if you’ll forgive me, I must get back to my troops. I’m going to have one last look round and then…

There was a commotion outside, and then the door opened. To Bracken’s astonishment a grey unicorn walked in with piercing yellow eyes,

“Ah, Raise! I thought you’d be here where there’s a fire and drinks. Who’s this then?”

The thestral waved his hoof, “Lord Maroc, this is Elder Bracken and his associate…?

“Jal.”

Jal.” Raise echoed, “Elder Bracken, Jal, may I introduce Lord Maroc of the tribe of the Four Winds.

“Mmm, a pleasure.” Maroc said bobbing his head dismissively, “Raise, we’ve found that ‘inquisitor’ fellow and his team, or what’s left of them anyway.”

Bracken felt a chill run down his spine. They’d found them?

All dead I take it?” Raise asked, apparently knowing the answer already.

“Oh yes, very.” Maroc shook his black mane and stretched his legs, “I dare say they’ve give some poor Jarra stomach ache by now.”

All of them?” Raise looked shocked, “Jarra’s got them all?

“Buggered if I know.” Maroc replied yawning, “There’s not enough bits of them left to make a whole one, if you follow me. Anyway, the armour’s all there ready for collection; I had my boys collect it ready for your lot to pick it up. I’ll give you the location later.”

Raise bowed, “Yes…thank you, My Lord.

“Mmm” Maroc rubbed his eyes, “Anyway I’m off, I’m bloody knackered. Vela was at it all night the little beggar, ‘bad dreams’ and all that.” He clopped Raise on the shoulder, “See you around, and don’t let them catch you sneaking into ponies cabins for sly cuppa’s now will you?”

Raise laughed, “No! Perish the thought.” He shook his head, “I’d better report this back to command though.” He looked at Bracken with a helpless grin on his face, “More bloody paperwork.

The grey pony chuckled, heading for the door and paused, looking back over his shoulder, “What did you say your name was again?”

Bracken’s mouth had gone dry, “E…Elder…”

“Oh never mind.” Maroc disappeared out of the door, “All look the bloody same to me…”

Sorry about that,” Raise whispered after the grey unicorn had left, “Lord Maroc’s a little, um…eccentric. His kind don’t get on too well with, well, anypony actually.

Bracken stared after him in surprise. Who the hell was that?

Raise hoofed back his cup to Jal, “Thank you for your hospitality, gentlecolts, but I’m afraid that’s my cue to leave. May the Goddess bless you and your people, Elder.

Nodding, Bracken watched the thestral leave the building and allowed himself a well deserved sigh of relief. Dear Goddess, he hadn’t expected that! Giving himself a shake, he walked outside where the rest of the thestral warriors had assembled and were talking with a number of grey coated ponies who all looked very similar to this ‘Lord Maroc’, or whoever he was supposed to be. Incredibly, they were all unicorns too. If he didn’t know better, he’d swear he’d been overindulging in Neira’s alcohol. Thankfully though, they all looked like they were preparing to leave, and there was a general shaking of those huge dragon-esque wings from the thestral contingent. How the grey ponies were going to leave though was anyponies guess; they didn’t appear to have any winter gear on or even be bothered by the cold. The strangeness of it all wasn’t lost on Bracken, but…why were they all looking up into the sky like that? He followed their gaze and groaned - there were even more of them approaching. He glanced at Jal who just shrugged. Suddenly peace and quiet seemed like a good alternative, but perhaps he was just unused to the company of others after being in the mountains for so long. He sat and waited.

The new group of thestrals landed with little ceremony, but their officer walked up to Raise with an air of bombastic authority,

Well, any sign of them?

Raise nodded, “They’re gone, First Spear. Lord Maroc’s patrol found the remains.

Remains?” The newcomer asked, furrowing his brow.

Raise nodded, “Jarra’s

The ‘First Spear’ snorted loudly, “And you believe this nonsense do you? That some wild beast can defeat an entire squad of my troops?” his eyes flared, “Did any of the villagers see anything?

Raise shook his head, “No, it doesn’t appear as if patrol came this way.

Really?” The tall thestral looked around the village, snuffing the air, “You there!” He pointed towards Bracken, “Are you the village elder?

Bracken nodded, “Yes, First Spear.”

Are you certain the patrol didn’t pass this way?” The thestral asked.

“I am”

The officer snorted, “I don’t believe you.

Jal shifted his stance, the others suddenly stopping what they were doing and turning to watch.

Their mission was to check for infiltrators and any villages were to be searched.” The senior officer stomped a hoof, “This village was on their patrol route and you say they didn’t pass here?

Bracken gritted his teeth, his hackles going up immediately. He didn’t like this creature, nor the beasts attitude,

“I have already answered that question.”

Have you now?” The thestral sniffed the air again, “There’s something odd going on here…” Suddenly, he locked onto Bracken with a hard stare, “Remove your hood, sir.

Bracken froze. What was the bloody creature talking about? He gave himself a shake and complied; any aggressive stance could, and probably would, lead to a fast and very bloody end, both for him and the villagers. Confidently, he rolled down the cowl of his yak cloak.

Nopony looked surprised. Maroc even shrugged, “Expecting a unicorn, Arc?”

There were a few sniggers behind the tall thestral as smoke began to rise from the corners of his twitching mouth. He bared his teeth angrily,

Silence! The Goddess may tolerate your insubordination, wendigo, but even you are not immune to…

Maroc’s eyes narrowed, “-If you wish to continue living, thestral, then I suggest you don’t finish whatever it was you were about to say.”

The atmosphere was changing dramatically, the thestrals and grey ponies who only minutes earlier had been laughing and joking together, began to separate. Raise quickly intervened,

Arc for the sake of the Goddess, watch your tongue! The wendigo are our allies, show some self control will you?

Arc hissed angrily at the First Captain and ruffled his wings,

I want to see these…” he paused, then slowly turned, staring at Bracken with his burning eyes, “You…I have seen you before…

Bracken shook his head, “I don’t believe you have, First…”

“-It was at a village…” Arc’s eyes narrowed, “It was you! You and that damned unicorn!” he lifted his hoof, “This is the one the Goddess herself has been looking for!

All eyes were suddenly all on Bracken.

Seize him! Search the village!” the thestral shouted grimly, “The white one can’t be far away.

What’s going on?” Raise shouted over the sudden din of thestrals drawing weapons, “I don’t know anything about this!

Arc gave him a superior look, “You are not privy to all the Goddesses thoughts…First Captain.” He waved a hoof, “Search everywhere, and bring him to me.

Shouts went up around the village as windows and doors were suddenly flung open before the skeletal warriors could reach them. As if by some unspoken command, crossbows appeared by the score, villagers armed with spears and axes held at the ready surrounded both the thestrals and the grey ponies. The tension was rapidly building to a lethal peak until Lord Maroc suddenly laughed out loud, his voice echoing around the village,

“Well, you have your answer, Arc. What are you going to do now?”

The tall thestral stallion glared hatred at the ponies of the village, smoke and fire rising up from his muzzle,

You…traitors! All of you! You DARE to defy the Goddess?

Bracken took a step forward, “I do not defy the Goddess, Arc.” He smiled, “I just defy you.”

Why you!” the thestral reached back for his axe, “Kill them! KILL THEM A…

He never finished his sentence as a hoof smashed into his jaw and he fell into a crumpled heap at Bracken’s hooves. Maroc stood over him, shaking his hoof,

“Bloody hard jaw on him…ouch!”

Arc’s thestrals were quickly the centre of attention.

I suggest you stand down, unless you want to create a diplomatic incident, gentlecolts,” Raise said levelly, “Remember where you are.

The grey unicorn walked up to Bracken and gazed into his eyes as if he could read his soul. He gave a half smile and nodded to himself,

“Bracken, wasn’t it?”

“Yes, Lord Maroc.”

“Hmm.” He scratched his ear in thought, “You seem a sensible fellow, so here’s what I propose.” Maroc smiled, “Come with me, you can be guests at my home until we know what’s what. You can bring your friend too.” He nodded towards Arc, “I’m afraid that these chaps won’t give up, Bracken. I think you know what will happen to your village when we leave. This isn’t a fight you can win, my earth pony friend.”

A familiar voice behind Bracken made him groan inwardly.

“Brack, I don’t want anypony else to get hurt.” The white unicorn walked forward and and bowed to Lord Maroc, “I’ll come with you, sir.”

“Good fellow!” Maroc said happily clopping his forehooves together, “You can always rely on a unicorn to make an intelligent decision.” He looked curiously at Chalk a moment, “Damned good colouring for the snow too! I barely saw you coming except for your eyes! You just have to meet my family, they’ll be overjoyed to see another unicorn.” He leaned forward conspiratorially, “This lot don’t like us, you know…” he tapped his head, “Horn envy…”

Chalk smirked.

“Right then, lets get ready for off. Raise, I’ll leave you to tidy up that mess.” Maroc waved a hoof at the unconscious Arc, “And I trust there will not be any more trouble here, will there? I don’t take kindly to his kind causing mischief in my home.”

Of course, My Lord.” Raise bowed.

Maroc nodded, “Excellent, now, collect your things you two and meet us back here. I’ll have a chariot sorted out for you in a jiffy.”

“Chariot?” Chalk asked following Bracken back to the cabin, “What sort of chariot?”

Bracken rolled his eyes. Goddess damn it, this wasn’t going to end well, was it? That bloody idiot! “Chalky, do you have death wish? I mean, seriously, do you? It’s just that everytime I see you, somepony’s trying to kill you or you’re lying in a pool of blood or something.” He gave him a hard stared, “I take it you do want to see Gretel again, don’t you?”

“Of course I bloody well do!” Chalk snapped, “It’s not like I want these things to keep happening you know. I mean, I didn’t exactly wake up one morning and think, ‘looks like a lovely day out today, I think I’ll go and get my beaten to death.’ After all, theres nothing quite like a good crucifixion before breakfast to brighten your day, is there?”

“You know what I mean!” Bracken replied with a snort, “Buck me, Chalky, I don’t know how we’re going to get out of this one.”

Chalk shrugged dismissively, “Oh I don’t know, that Maroc seems a spot on sort of guy.”

“Spot on?!” Bracken hissed, “Do you know what he is?”

Chalk had apparently missed a good part of the conversation as he rolled his eyes at his friend, “Duh! The horns a bit of a giveaway Brack, do you really need me to tell you?”

“One of them said he was bloody wendigo!” Bracken hissed, “You know what those things do! They’ll suck our emotions dry! We’ll be left like husks, empty and…”

“-Oh belt up!” Chalk said grabbing his sword and buckling on his equipment, “Celestia’s arse you’re nothing but gloom and doom, aren’t you? Things will work out, you’ll see!” He trotted out the door with a grin, “Hurry up, or I’ll get the best seat.”

Bracken face hoofed. What a bloody mess! He threw the panniers over his back and walked towards the door, stopping to take a last look back at the cabin that had been his home for the last few months. It still smelled of her; the bed, the clothes even her brush. He took that with him - somehow, it made him feel a little closer to her. He hung his head, his ears flopping,

“I hope you were right, love” he murmured, and closed the door behind him.

In the middle of the village, a large two wheeled cart had appeared, not quite the ‘chariot’ the two friends had been expecting.

“It, um…looks a little ‘rustic’, doesn’t it?” Chalk said disappointedly, “Do you think it’s safe?”

“No idea.” Bracken gave him a nudge as lord Maroc appeared.

“All set?” The wendigo asked cheerily.

Bracken nodded, “Yes, thanks, but we’re be alright walking. Thanks all the same.”

“Walk?” Maroc let out a loud guffaw, “You have a good sense of humour, young stallion, I like that!” he turned to two of his ponies and waved them over, “Get hitched up lads, we’ll get these two back in time for lunch.”

“L…lunch?” Chalk stammered, “Hey! Now hang on…”

The grey unicorn gave him a quizzical looked, “You’re not hungry? There’ll be plenty to go round, you know.”

“Thank you, lord Maroc,” Bracken said quickly pushing Chalk out of the way, “that’s very kind of you.”

Maroc shook his head, leaning down towards Chalk, “You didn’t think we were going to have you for dinner did you?” he snapped his teeth suddenly making Chalk jump back in fright, “Oh, I think we’re going to a have grand time together!” Maroc chuckled to himself, “Arathea will just love to see you!”

Two of the grey ponies backed up and began strapping themselves between the carts shafts. With a neigh, and a shake of their coat’s they…changed. Bracken couldn’t believe what he was seeing, and by the strangled sounds Chalk was making, he was having the same difficulties taking in just what was happening a mere few yards away. The grey unicorns were transforming, their coats flushing like a chameleon from grey to white, their tails and manes similarly morphing from black to a vibrant blue. Horrifyingly, the skin along their back rippled, bulged, and then ‘opened’ allowing reptilian like wings to burst out, snapping wide in the sunlight. Bracken thought he was going to choke. He’d seen these things before; they were the monsters that had fought them at River Valley, the things that had screamed down at them from the sky like comets, shrieking and howling like death itself had come from…

“Are you alright, Elder?” Maroc asked, “You seem to have gone a little pale.”

Bracken caught himself and turned away from staring at the two in front of the cart. He cleared his throat,

“I’m sorry, Lord Maroc, I haven’t…” his words died in his mouth.

“Ah, forgive me, I take it you haven’t had much contact with my people, yes?”

The snow white stallion standing in front of Bracken smiled, or at least it looked like he was, the huge array of sharp teeth made him look like some sort of hungry predator, and his eyes…dear Goddess…they were blue, burning like fires from another world, almost...like a thestral. Maroc raised an eyebrow,

“Come along now, jump on. Time waits for nopony, Elder.” He nodded towards the white unicorn who’s mouth was still hanging open, “I always tell my son he’ll stick like that if the wind changes.”

Bracken was struck speechless but obediently boarded the cart and let the wendigo tie them in with ropes.

“Sorry about this!” Maroc called over, “Bit short on comfort, but you’ll be fine. If you fall out, one of us will catch you I’m sure. Just make sure to shout nice and loud if you do, alright?”

Chalk gasped, “Oh…oh, Goddesses…this isn’t happening, this isn’t happening, this isn’t…”

“-Chalky, for pity’s sake get a grip! We’re going to be fine, okay? Just…just keep it together.”

“Keep it together?!” Chalk hissed back, “They’re monsters, Brack! Look at them! They’re going to e…”

Bracken shoved his muzzle into Chalk’s, “-Don’t you dare say it!”

The white unicorn closed his eyes and let out a muffled squeak. Despite trying to put on a brave face, Bracken knew exactly how his friend felt. Still, they were alive and that was a hell of a lot better than the alternative. Nearby, Jal stood impassively watching the proceedings. He nodded to Bracken who returned the gesture,

“Look after Neira’s cabin, Jal.”

The dour stallion nodded and stood back as the chariot, or rather ‘cart’ abruptly lurched off the ground and up into the air in deep wallowing bounds. Bracken’s stomach heaved violently as a wave of nausea surged through him making him gag. Other than hanging on for dear life, it was all he could do just to stop himself from throwing up. Beside him, Chalk was faring no better. He looked like he was going to pass out, his face as pale as when Bracken had first seen him on the bed with his broken leg, close to death. Bloody hell fire, was this going to be how the rest of their life would pan out? Goddess above, he just…ah, hell! Neira wanted him to have a life, and in some strange game that fate was playing with him, this looked like this was it. He closed his eyes and dug his hooves into the wood, praying they would land soon…very soon!

They flew on, the carts alarming movements thankfully smoothing out, but Bracken just stared at the wooden decking beneath his hooves. He hated flying…he hated flying…he HATED FLYING! Damn it all to the bowels of hell, he was a bloody earth pony, not a pegasus! He groaned and closed his eyes again, trying to block out the excited whoops from Chalky. Of course…he bloody well would like this, wouldn’t he? One minute scared to death, the next the wannabe pirate unicorn of the high seas! Bracken rolled his eyes, and prayed they would land soon - and in one piece.

“Hey Brack, this is great!” the excited unicorn shouted over the wind noise, “It’s like a miniature galleon, well…sort of I suppose, but you can’t knock it can you?” He let out a whoop of excitement, “Celestia’s furry buttocks! You want to see how high up we are! Even the mountains look like dots from up here!”

Bracken dry heaved, his prayer for either land or a pair of ear plugs painfully unheeded. One of these days, he was going to strangle that bloody white nuisance.

“Hey Brack,” Chalk chirped, “don’t you think it’s a bit weird all this? I mean, these guys are ponies, right? And then poof! They transmogri-thingy into these thestraly type thingies.”

“Oh Goddess…” Bracken felt a wave of heat flush through him, signalling another stomach roiling episode of nausea, “It’s ‘transmogrify’ you idiot, and shut up will you, for the love of Luna!”

“Some bloody travelling buddy you are!” Chalk replied with a huff, “These guys up front won’t speak either, but I suppose its not that surprising, what with the wind up here. Cor! You can really feel it nipping your lugs, can’t you! I’m glad we’ve got these cloaks. Hey, do you reckon they’ll let us keep our swords? Mine’s worth a few bits, and…”

Bracken felt the world around him spinning and whirling as his stomach emptied itself. Thankfully, he was able to reach the side of the cart without much difficulty. The bile burned in his throat, the taste of what he’d had for dinner making him want to keep going until he had nothing left inside, and then a little more just for good measure. Gasping and sweating, he looked round at his friend,

“Chalky…please, just…please…”

“Oh.” Chalk looked a little deflated, his ears drooping, “Sorry, Brack.”

Well that was just great wasn’t it? Now he felt guilty as well as ill! Bracken shook his head, which didn’t turn out to be the best idea he’d ever had, and he quickly let fly with another stream of bile.

“Chalky,” he choked, “look, just wait until we land, eh? Please. Goddess almighty, I’m dying here…”

Chalk’s hoof rubbed his shoulder,

“It’s alright dude, we’re nearly there.”

Bracken looked back at him through bloodshot eyes, “We are?”

“If you look straight ahead, not down, you’ll see. Or do you want me to describe it to you?” Chalk smiled, his bright green eyes sparkling with wonder at what he’d seen.

“I’ll give it a go…I suppose,” Bracken wobbled, but thankfully Chalk caught him.

“There,” the white unicorn breathed, “look.”

Bracken rubbed the tears from his eyes. It was so hard to focus with the wind whipping past and…

He blinked, and found himself staring in open mouthed amazement at a sight so impossible, he could barely believe his own eyes. It was hard to get a proper ideal of scale from up here, but it had to be larger than his whole village back home. It was camouflaged to a degree by the mountain and looked as if it had been crafted from an incredible blend of the rock and ice: it was a castle…no…a palace…nestled on the side of the mountain, sparkling like a jewel in the bright sunshine. It was the sort of place he’d imagined ponies in his story books would have lived in, that he would live in if he became ever became a knight. But this…this was no fairy tale castle, it was even more magnificent than any storyteller could ever hope to describe. His nausea forgotten, Bracken stared in awe at the tall, slim towers that soared up into the sky connected by impossibly thin sky bridges, the battlements and curiously shaped buildings of all sizes and shapes, all coming together to form a structure that was as beautiful as it was imposing. Long streaming blue flags fluttered and snapped in the breeze, as they approached. The rhythmic beating of wings made Bracken look to his left. It was Maroc,

“What do you think, boys?”

“It’s AMAZING!” Chalk bellowed right in Bracken’s ear, “I’ve never seen anything like it!”

Bracken nodded, “It’s beautiful,” he added, “what is this place?”

“My home!” Maroc laughed, “As it has been for generations of my family and my people. It is our sanctuary from the outside world and the heart of our lands.” His blazing blue eyes flared brightly, “Welcome gentlecolts, to the Fortress of the Four Winds.”

“Oooh!” Chalk was nearly bouncing with excitement, making the cart lurch.

“For the Goddess’s sake, calm down!” Bracken hissed, shoving Chalk’s shoulder, “You’ll have the bloody thing over!”

The wendigo Lord let out a raucous laugh, “You can’t blame him, Elder Bracken. Who could not fail to be awe struck by such a magnificent sight?”

The two friends nodded.

“Now, hold on, we’re coming in to land. It could get a little bumpy.”

“What?!” Bracken squeaked.

Maroc shouted something to the two pulling them and took the lead. With a sudden jerk, the cart accelerated and began a banking turn down towards the fortress. Bracken closed his eyes and tried not to cry out it terror while Chalk shouted out in excitement beside him. What the hell was wrong with him? What the hell was wrong with these bloody wendigo things? Oh Goddess, get him off this thing!

Wind roared past them as they spiralled down, the sensation of dropping making Bracken’s stomach feel like he’d swallowed lead and he nearly fainted when he finally opened his eyes enough to see a huge rock wall looming right in front of them. He squeezed his eyes shut again and huddled down, barely noticing the slight bump of the wheels. He looked up,

“We…we’re not moving?”

Chalk gave him a nudge, “Good observations there, Clover the Clever.”

Bracken gave himself a shake, but his legs were doing anything but obey him. Meanwhile, the two wendigo had unharnessed themselves and trotted off as a number of more regular looking creatures, a surprisingly colourful mix of ponies, walked up to help manoeuvre the cart into a place out of the wind. With practiced ease, they quickly began untying the ropes and helped the two friends down to the blessedly solid ground. Bracken’s legs finally began to obey him, but his head was still feeling light. Was there really a need to land like that? He was sure that bloody Maroc had done it deliberately to show off, and Chalk seemed to have enjoyed it too, the excited unicorn was all but bouncing beside him,

“I don’t believe it!” he said in wide eyed amazement, “Look a this place, Brack, it’s like some sort of fairytale palace or something.” He pranced around, staring at the sparkling white architecture, the semi reflective surfaces that looked, and felt, like they were made of solid ice. Bracken shook his mane and stretched. After being confined to that cart, his bones and joints were aching and he was beginning to long for a long hot soak in the sulphurous pools of ho…He paused; was he going to say ‘home’?

“Right you two,” It was Maroc, but not Maroc. Bracken stared at him - he was back to being a grey unicorn once again. “follow Chisel here, he’ll show you the way to the baths. I’m sure you’ll want to have a freshen up.” He clopped his hoof on the shoulder of the old stallion who stood respectfully before them, “Hey old fellow, do something about these cloaks too will you, they honk like a goose.”

“Honk like a goose?” Bracken said louder than he meant to, “They’re…that is, they were a gift!”

Maroc gave him a sidelong glance, “Don’t worry, Elder, they’ll be properly cleaned and dried. Our staff are the best in Equestria you know.” He smiled at them both, “Make yourselves at home boys. I’ll go and tell Arathea you’re here and then we can all have a chat over dinner tonight. Chalky,” he nodded to the wide eyed unicorn, “would you mind leaving your weapons with Chisel? I promise I’ll return them when I can, but I’m sure you understand, both of you, that I’ll be introducing you to my wife and foal, and, well…”

Chalk nodded to Bracken, before unbuckling his gear, “Of course Lord Maroc, we understand.”

“Just ‘Maroc’,” the wendigo said with a smile, “please, titles are not for guests.”

Bracken lifted a hoof, “Lord…I mean, Maroc, aren’t we prisoners?”

Maroc shrugged, “I don’t like the word ‘prisoner’, Elder, and besides, if you were you’d be in the dungeon. And as we don’t have any, you’ll be staying in our guest quarters.” He chuckled, “We’re not exactly short on space you know.”

Chalk furrowed his brow, “You don’t have dungeons? In a place like this?”

“Why would I need dungeons?” Maroc asked looking genuinely surprised, “We deal with things a little differently here, but…enough!” he clopped his forehooves together, “Go and get warmed up! Go on, off you go!” He began walking away as a young mare rushed over and placed a deep blue and white robe over his back. “I’ll answer all your questions later, chaps, and if you like I’ll give you the grand tour too. What do you say, Chalky?”

The white unicorn hopped from one hoof to another, “Oh yeah!”

Maroc laughed, finally disappearing through an archway, followed by a retinue of fussing ponies.

“This way please, gentlecolts.” Chisel bowed, and set off, leading the two friends down another side passage.

The corridor was just the same as the large hall they’d arrived in: brightly lit and airy, giving you the impression that you were almost floating on air. The walls shone with an almost otherworldy inner light, but it was all so natural somehow, so pure, it made everything sparkle like diamond. Pictures on the walls showed images of rolling landscapes, battles, ponies, all of them oozing quality and the skill of the artist. Tapestries and rugs too, adorned the walls and floor providing the overall feeling of being in somepony’s home. The personal touch of care and thought showed on every surface, all of it complementing each individual element, adding up to a whole that was simply…breathtaking.

Chalk was bouncing about as if he was on springs,

“Hey, Chisel, can you do that changing thing too? Does it hurt?”

The dour grey pony kept looking straight ahead, “No, sir. Alas, I was not destined for the joining.”

“Joining?” Chalk asked.

“Yes sir.”

“Um, what is that?”

Chisel’s deapan voice gave nothing away, “Forgive me, sir, that is a matter for His Lordship to discuss with you, should he decide to do so.”

“Oh.” Chalk glanced up at Bracken and shrugged. It was quite clear their host wasn’t going to answer just any question, regardless of how inquisitive he was. He changed tack, “Don’t sky galleons come here from time to time?”

“Yes, sir.” Chisel answered in his monotone manner, “Her Ladyship is rather partial to fine needlework.”

“There aren’t any docked here at the moment are there by any chance?” Chalk asked hopefully.

“No, sir.”

“Bugger.”

“And of course, they’d just let us wander out wouldn’t they?” Bracken mumbled under his breath. Chalk shot him a look and settled back into a more restrained pace. He looked puzzled,

“Chisel, how come the wendigo here have horns and wings?”

The grey pony seemed surprised by the question, “Pardon?”

Chalk attempted to clarify his question, “I didn’t think they did, you know, like they flew on clouds and stuff.”

Chisel’s ear flicked irritably, “I believe sir is referring to the more primitive dwellers of the mountains? They are a distant relation, sir, though mostly in name only.” He shuddered, “Quite uncivilised.”

Bracken rolled his eyes. It didn’t do to needle their hosts, especially as they weren’t exactly in a position to escape should things turn sour, and considering the way a certain white unicorn’s mouth ran away with him, it was entirely possible it could happen. He gestured at his friend to shush, but Chalk had just noticed something else…lavender. Bracken took in the smell too; it was wonderful! Fragrant, warm, and alluring, the scent together with the enigmatic Chisel lead them around a corner and into the magnificent bathing area. Around them, huge bronze fish poured hot fragrant water into a steaming pool, the whole surrounded by large ferns in colourful glazed pots that gave the bather the impression they were in the middle of some mystical jungle clearing. Tiles, carefully designed for hooves to gain purchase in wet conditions, led to a changing and drying area complete with wicker basketsyou’re your clothes, while in the other direction they ended in a set of wide steps that would take the bather down into the inviting water. Chalk’s eyes went wide,

“Oh…my…Goddesses!” he gasped, “I…Brack…” he suddenly went wide eyed and began flinging his clothes, equipment, and panniers in all direction before letting out a bellowing neigh. Bracken backed up as Chalk reared, and then charged. With a scream of “INCOMING!” the white unicorn leaped high into the air and impacted with the surface of the tranquil looking pool with a deafening boom. Water fountained up into air and spread out like some grotesque mushroom, and, in almost slow motion, began to descend on the horrified Chisel. Bracken face hoofed even as the water delunged him nose to tail. That…bloody unicorn!

Speaking of whom, the white coated creature was now floating in the bath spewing water from his mouth and laughing maniacally,

“Brack! For goodness sake, get your grotty hide in here! Celestia’s furry backside, you’ve no idea how good this is!”

Bracken rolled his eyes, passing his clothes to the incensed Chisel,

“Um, sorry about this, you know how it is.”

“Indeed, sir.” The grey pony looked as if he’d just got a whiff of something foul before turning to the door, “One of the maids will be along shortly to escort you to your rooms prior to luncheon, sir.”

He walked away.

“This is what I’m talking about, Brack!” Chalk shouted, “Hot baths, luxury accommodation and dinner with the Lord and his family. I’d love to see the look on that old fart Fry’s face now. Sod the bloody lot of ‘em I say!”

Bracken sank into the water, groaning as his still sore joints eased in the scented hot water,

“I hate to admit it, but I think you’re right dude, seriously.” He let out a sigh.

Chalk paddled around the deeper part of the pool, somehow still full of energy,

“I tell you what: we wait until the next sky galleon docks, sneak aboard, and get the buck out of here. How does that sound?”

“I take it by ‘next’, you mean the Revenge, right?” Bracken asked, stretching out.

“Damn right! I mean, how many are there out there? Besides, they’re bound to know Gretel, so we bum a lift and bingo, back home and mission…” Chalk shrugged, “Not quite complete, but the thought was there.”

“Excuse me?”

Chalk raised an eyebrow “What, dude?”

Bracken looked round in surprise, “I didn’t say anything.”

“I’m sorry but, um, did you chaps say ‘sky galleons’?”

A figure wreathed in steam suddenly appeared before them like some terrifying sea monster from the depths, his grey coat almost merging perfectly with the white clouds, leaving his shining yellow eyes seemingly floating in mid air. The highly strung Chalk cried out in fright and scrabbled frantically for the steps. Bracken, however, wasn’t quite so easily startled,

“I’m sorry, I didn’t know there was anypony else in here.”

The grey pony, another unicorn, pushed himself out of the steam, “I’m afraid that’s my fault. I’m not supposed to use this bath you see; it’s for guests and the Lords family, but…well…it’s just so nice in here, I couldn’t resist and just sort of snuck in.”

“You snuck in?” Bracken asked incredulously.

“Mmhmm.” The unicorn nodded, “My lab’s just down the next corridor, and I simply love the smell of lavender, don’t you?”

Bracken smiled, “I do, it reminds me of home. Mum grew it in the front garden and made soap with it in.”

The grey pony clopped his hooves together happily, “Oh, wonderful! I love lavender soap!” he dipped his long silvery mane into the water and a loofah materialised in his hooves, “Fancy a scrub?”

Bracken grimaced, “Er, no thanks, I’ll manage.”

“Hah! You’re missing a treat!” The grey fellow went to work, scrubbing his back with a look of sheer bliss on his face.

“Sorry,” Bracken said trying to get some semblance of normality back in the conversation, “but…are you a…wendigo?”

“Me?” the pony smirked, “Hardly! Oh, but if I were…the possibilities! The magical power alone could propel my studies into a whole new direction of study and learning!” He fixed Bracken with an excited look, “You’ve seen them, haven’t you? The way they change? One simply cannot comprehend just how much magic is being channelled to enable such a miraculous transformation!” he began scratching his long beard, “It must be enacted on a cellular level. Perhaps if the…” he suddenly stopped and looked up, “Wait, you said ‘sky galleons’ before. Please, you simply must tell me about them!”

“Chalky’s your stallion for that,” Bracken said waving to the wary looking white unicorn standing on the steps, “for Luna’s sake, get over here will you.”

Chalk huffed and then pushed back into the water, nearer to the newcomer. Clearing his throat he looked at him curiously,

“You want to know about sky galleons?”

“Oh, please, yes!” The grey pony said enthusiastically.

“Hmm, perhaps.” Chalk quickly took on a mysterious air, “I can tell ye a tale from the high seas ter the skies above the…”

“-I’m sorry,” the grey stallion interrupted, “I’d rather just know about how they work.” He looked a little embarrassed, “You see, I have a particular interest in the workings of high energy magical fluxation and confluxation fields.” He shrugged, “It’s a hobby.”

Chalk sniffed, apparently upset at losing his opportunity to regale an unsuspecting pony with one of his ‘tales from the sea’, which, Bracken suspected, were actually ones he’d pinched from one of the sailors on the Revenge. Personally, he thought the white nuisance just wanted a chance to try out his pirate lingo.

Chalk opened his mouth to speak, just as a female voice called out from the direction of the main door,

“Sirs? Are you ready to come out? I’m to take you to your rooms now.”

“Bollocks!” the grey pony hissed, “You didn’t see me, alright? You didn’t see me!

Quickly, the mysterious fellow vanished back into the steam, leaving Chalk and Bracken shrugging and shaking their heads as they got out to the dry themselves off. Chalk was the first to notice their equipment, cloaks and other items had mysteriously vanished - no doubt assisted by Chisel and his compatriots. Dear Goddess, they hadn’t even seen them come in! The two friends dried themselves as best they could and donned the blue and white robes that had been thoughtfully provided for them. Bracken peered at Chalk who was examining his intently,

“What is it?”

The unicorn shrugged, “Ah, nothing really, just wondering if it had my initials sewn into the pocket.”

“You need help, Chalk Dust,” Bracken groaned, “you really do.”

PreviousChapters Next