• Published 2nd Feb 2016
  • 1,632 Views, 130 Comments

Ice Fall - Bluespectre



Celestia has gone. The forces of the night, victorious at the battle of River Valley, push on towards the castle of the two sisters. Two friends find themselves caught up in the maelstrom of war and their lives will likely never be the same again.

  • ...
6
 130
 1,632

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter Forty One - The Heart's Farewell

CHAPTER FORTY ONE

THE HEART’S FAREWELL

War. The fire, the destruction, the suffering and death…Great Goddesses, when would this end? It had to sooner or later, before there was nothing left worth fighting for. Dray closed his eyes and cleared his mind, trying to find a place of calm inside himself. He had done everything he could think of, covered every angle, ever eventuality. Now, everything was in place, the plans were in motion - but would it be enough? Would it ever be enough? The General shook his head as if shaking loose the negativity that had washed over him from out of nowhere. Rubbing his mane with his towel, he sighed. It was times like these, when he was alone, that some of the darker thoughts would occasionally intrude and dampen his mood despite the pleasantness of feeling clean.

Dray sat back and wiped his muzzle. He felt better for a good coat clipping and shower. Hoof care was important too, particularly for soldiers, and the old saying ‘An army marches on its hooves’ was just as true now as it ever was. Incredibly, he’d had to pass orders regarding the most basic hygiene instructions as some of the recruits had been rather ‘unsteady’ to say the least. Others would say ‘lame’. Some cases of laminitis had been reported, amongst other issues such as sprains, injuries from sparring during training, even one described as a ‘High speed baking accident’. He’d rolled his eyes at that one! Still, the castle defences were sound, the army was reforming and the armouries and barracks quickly filling with the tools of war, stocked both with steel and muscle. Dray had read through the initial reports filtering back in through from his pegasi scouts. The hit and run tactics on the thestrals had begun, the explosives being put to good use in destroying the enemy’s supplies and camps at every opportunity. But it was dangerous work, and reports of reprisals from the thestrals had begun trickling in. Apparently they’d hit several villages suspected of harbouring ‘rebels’ and taken all the adults and…He had to put the report down. It made him feel physically sick.

“Damn them…” he muttered, brushing his mane out.

He had to stop this, there had to be something they could do to bring it to an end. It would take time of course, he knew that, and impatience could kill a hell of a lot more than a few ponies from some small villages, but it didn’t help the poor devils living there when the Legion appeared full of vengeance and anger. He wondered how he would feel in his enemy’s shoes, how he would react if he saw his friends blown to pieces by some unseen foe - a fast moving war chariot diving out of the sky and dropping a barrel of unstable magical death into their midst. It wasn’t war, it was…He sighed. War was war, and, as the Princess herself had said, ‘Victory is victory whatever the cost’, or something like that anyway.

“What do you think will run out first: thestrals or barrels?” Wild asked brushing her mane beside him.

“I don’t care, so long as we can rid out home of the damned things.” Dray replied stretching his legs, “Them and their allies.”

“Take out the thestrals and the rest will run for the hills.” The Major said levelly, “They’re fighting for gold, nothing more.”

“The minotaurs and griffins maybe,” Dray replied, “but not the grey ghosts. They’re the children of the night, and as long as their Goddess is around, they’ll fight till the end.”

“You think?” Wild raised an eyebrow, “Their thestral ‘friends’ treat them like fodder, Dray, throwing them into battle to soak up our arrows as if they were nothing. Surely they can see the folly of fighting alongside such monsters?”

“I imagine they do,” Dray sighed, “but they’re fighting for their Goddess, Heather, not the thestrals.”

“Humph!” Wild sniffed, “Bloody sheep to the slaughter if you ask me. The sooner the Princess takes out that Nightmare Moon bitch the better.”

Dray nodded, “All good things in time, Heather.”

“So why not just dump a load on her noggin and have done with it?” Wild asked holding the door open for the grey stallion, “One quick ‘boom’ and no more Nightmare Moon.” She paused, nodding to herself, “Quite catchy that…”

The General laughed, “True, but don’t forget she’s still the Princess’s sister. I think she wants to drive the enemy in on themselves and make them realise they can’t win.”

“Surely you don’t think they’ll surrender?” Wild asked in amazement, “I mean, come on! Nightmare Moon?”

“I know, Heather,” Dray replied, “but she has hope, and that’s something that I think we lost some time ago, until she brought it back to our hearts.”

“Very profound!” Wild said taking up a glass of milk from the table in the changing room, “It does worry me though, Dray.” Her voice dropped, “I’ve heard things…you know what I’m talking about; the guards have heard her crying and shouting in the libraries and the corridors of the castle - its worrying ponies.”

“I know!” Dray shook his head in irritation, “Bloody hell, I don’t know what’s going on with her, but I don’t think she’s losing her mind if that’s what they’re thinking.”

“Whatever it is, I don’t think it’s good for morale.” Wild said with a shrug, “Soldiers talk, Dray.”

“Then let’s give them something to talk about.” The General replied, “Tell them it’s because she’s angry about what the thestrals are doing, tell them she’s planning the next offensive - anything, just don’t let them start conjuring up stories that the Princess has gone insane or we may as well surrender the bloody army now.”

“Can’t you talk to her?” The Major asked hopefully, “She’ll listen to you.”

“I think you’re overestimating how much the Princess confides in me.” Dray grumbled, “Besides, I’m soldier, what the hell do I know about mares?”

“Enough to have two foals!” Wild hissed, “Stop making excuses!”

Dray fixed her with his yellow eyes, “That wasn’t fair, Heather.”

With a gasp of realisation, the Major stepped back, stammering, “I…I’m sorry.”

“Look, forget it, I’m just being cranky…forget I said anything.” Dray smiled at her sadly, “You’re a good friend, Heather.”

“A good friend…” the Major murmured, swallowing her milk.

“I’m sorry?”

“I said, ‘I’m a good friend’.” The red mare walked to the door, “I’ll see you in the morning, General. Good night.”

The door slammed shut, leaving Dray stood like a statue with a look of befuddlement on his face. Mares! Strange creatures, all of them; he didn’t understand them and he doubted he ever would. Not that he actually wanted to of course, but…Honeysuckle…he’d wanted to know her, hadn’t he? He’d loved her, so, so much. Now, he was alone in the world, alone and…well, he wasn’t really was he? Heather was…He closed his eyes and sighed. Dear Goddesses, he didn’t have time for this sort of nonsense. Mares always seemed to find the time though, didn’t they? Nattering on about things, confiding in each other about…wait…WAIT! Dray flung the door open and charged out,

“Heather? HEATHER!”

A red coated face appeared around the corner at the end of the corridor,

“What? What’s going on?”

Dray’s eyes were wide, “Heather, the maid, Celestia’s maid! If anypony knows what’s going on with the princess, it’ll be her!”

“What, you want me to go talk to her?” Wild asked.

“Well…I…”

Major Wild rolled her eyes, “Fine, just leave it to me. You just…go and do ‘Stallion stuff’ or whatever it is males do when they think mares aren’t watching.” With a flick of her tail, Wild trotted off up the main corridor, leaving a shocked grey stallion in her wake.

The elusive maid proved to be rather harder to find than Wild had expected; the castle was a veritable maze of very similar looking corridors, doors and rooms. In her opinion it certainly could do with a little ‘something’ to make it look more homely, rather than the austere stone and wood look. She was just beginning to wonder if it would be best leaving this until the next morning when she nearly walked head first into an orange coated unicorn mare in a maid’s uniform,

“Oh! I’m sorry!” the young maid said, daintily dodging to one side and heading off up the corridor.

Wild froze. It couldn’t be, could it? She span round, “Wait!” The Major called after her, “You wouldn’t happen to be the Princess’s maid by any chance would you?”

“Why, yes,” the orange mare replied, “my name’s Lilly. And you are…?”

“Major Wild, but you can call me Heather.” The red mare smiled warmly, “Lilly, I’m sorry I know you’re busy, but I’d really like to speak with you if I may. It’s very important.”

“I…suppose so.” Lilly looked a little unsure, “I’ve finished for the night actually, but if you can wait a few minutes I’ll just get changed and we can stop off in the kitchen for a cup of tea. It should be quiet enough at this time of night.”

“You’re a mare after my own heart.” Wild said happily. She sighed and sank to her haunches. With luck, Lilly may divulge something that could help them get to the bottom of what was troubling Celestia. If they could, maybe…maybe they could do something to help her. Just what the hell had happened to her while she’d been away?

***********************

Chalk looked like he was going to burst a blood vessel. Bracken had expected this of course, but it didn’t hurt any less. His friend had been raging and shouting for ages, the copious amounts of ale the two of them had consumed before he’d dropped his little nugget of information into the conversation hadn’t exactly helped it go down quite as well as he’d hoped.

“You…you BUCKING IDIOT!” Chalk yelled, nearly upending the table, “What in the name of Celestia were you thinking?!”

“Chalky…I…”

“It’s what that...that monster did to your head, isn’t it? When the Princess and Strata pulled it out of you, it must have sent you round the bend! Oh Goddesses, Brack…what are we going to do now?!”

The black stallion shook his deep blue mane and leaned across the table, his eyes half closed,

“Its not ‘we’, Chalky.”

“I mean, that Strata!” Chalk continued unabated, “That bloody quack, it was probably him! Good Goddesses, he even operated on me! Maybe we’re both nuts!”

“Chalky, shut up for a bloody minute will you, please…” Bracken pleaded.

Chalk stopped in mid-flow and looked at his friend, frowning, “I…Eh? What?”

Bracken groaned, “I said, it’s not ‘We’ it’s ‘Me’. I’m the one who’s signed back up, not you. You have your own life now, and a mare that loves you.”

“Oh for bucks sake, Brack! Is that it?” Chalk waved his forelegs expansively, “You’re jealous? You’ve done this out of spite?”

The black earth pony sat up suddenly and slammed his hooves down on the table, “Don’t bloody flatter yourself! Out of spite? Jealous? Get over yourself, Chalky, the world doesn’t revolve around you and your damned cock!”

Chalk rolled his eyes, “Here we go…”

“YES! Here we go!” Bracken shouted, “I made the decision because I wanted to do something with my life that had some bloody meaning instead of following you like some mindless sheep into suicidal situations!”

“BULL!” Chalk snapped back, “If it wasn’t for me, you’d still be a captive in that maniac’s camp, or worse!”

Bracken’s eyes narrowed, “Your pals nearly split my head in half! And anyway, I wouldn’t have been there in the first place if you hadn’t talked me into your ‘great adventure’ with the bloody army!”

“What a load of bollocks!” Chalk jabbed a hoof at him, “You have a mind of your own, don’t you? You didn’t have to come along, and you also seem to have conveniently forgotten that you were just as into it as I was - so don’t come the martyr with me, Bracken.”

The black pony jumped down from his seat, his mind a roaring torrent of anger. That bloody arse! How dare he, it always about him wasn’t it? Him and his bloody fancy damned…he snarled to himself and trotted to the bar.

“Hey!” Chalk shouted, following him over, “I haven’t finished with you yet!”

Bracken gritted his teeth, “Oh, piss off Chalky”

“What did you say to me?”

“I said PISS OFF!” Bracken span round, rearing up over his friend, “You self righteous, imbecilic, horses cock!”

Chalks fore hoof caught the black pony right under the chin. It wasn’t particularly hard, due in part to the effects of alcohol, but it still enough to send Bracken rolling back into one of the other patrons who yelled in protest. Bracken didn’t notice, his focus now was the self righteous little prig in front of him…Goddess almighty, he had this coming…

Chalk dodged the first blow, but the second, a spinning buck from Bracken’s hind legs, connected, sending him crashing into a table and the drinks upon it spraying over the patrons and himself. Bellows of rage and indignation rose as the soaked and furious customers tried to hit the source of their anger, only to end up hitting one another. It was all too predictable. In moments, half the tavern had erupted into a grand melee, with army ponies setting about each other with anything that came to hoof, and there, in the middle of it all, a white unicorn and a black earth pony battering each other for all they were worth, lost in their own respective worlds.

Bracken was furious. The suffering and pain he’d endured, the loss of Pickles, the confusion of what had happened with Nutmeg and…and…oh Goddess…the Goddess! He couldn’t say anything, he couldn’t do anything - if they found out, they’d hang him as a traitor. Dear Goddess help him, he had to do something, he had to get away! And this was the only way…

Chalk weaved and dodged, blows landing on him from all directions, but by the Goddesses he was going to beat some sense into this foolish pony! If he wouldn’t listen to words then he’d make him listen with his hooves and a damned good thrashing. He was his friend! His best friend in this whole lousy world and now he was going to go off and get himself killed! It wasn’t going to happen…it wasn’t!

The two never heard the whistles from outside, nor the white coated armoured ponies with red and gold tabards grabbing everypony in sight. The two friends simply continued to beat each other to a standstill until, finally, one by one they were felled by a cudgel over the back of the head and hauled outside into the waiting cart.

***********************

Bracken lay on the cell floor, his head feeling like a brass gong was being beaten inside it. Luna’s hairy arse that hurt! Whenever he tried to move he had to concentrate just to stop himself from throwing up, and by the smell in here, he probably already had…or somepony else. It was hard to tell, he couldn’t even open his eyes…

Nearby, Bracken could hear a familiar voice yelling in outrage at somepony, the sound battering into his tortured brain and make him twitch with each word. Bloody hell, his head! He threw his forelegs over his ears, desperately trying to block out the noise, but it was so loud!

“Do you have any idea what you’ve done?” the female voice shouted, “You’ve signed away your bloody life, that’s what! You’ll be killed and after we’d just got back together too! You’re trying to kill me, aren’t you? Or give me a bloody heart attack! You stupid, stupid fool!”

“Gretel…I’m sorry…”

“YOU’RE SORRY?!” the female bellowed, “You bloody will be when I get my hooves on you!” she clanged her hooves on what sound like metal cell bars, “I’m going to kill you!”

“Miss? That’s enough now.” The voice sounded officiall - probably a guard.

“Yes! You’re damned right it’s enough! I’m going to see the General and get this overturned,” Gretel turned a furious glare on Chalk, “you stupid bucking arse!” Angry hoof steps and loud cursing followed her out as her voice faded, “What the hell I ever saw…”

“Oh Goddesses, I’ve really done it now…”

Bracken hauled himself to the door, “Chalky?” he took a breath, trying to calm his stomach, “What have you done?”

“I signed back up.”

“YOU WHAT?!”

“I couldn’t let you go off on your own, Brack, you’re my friend - you’re like a brother to me.” Chalk’s voice sounded empty, as if he was fighting some inner turmoil, “What sort of friend lets his friend go off to fight alone?”

“This is madness, Chalky,” Bracken sighed, “I can’t believe you…I really can’t.”

“Well…” Chalk replied quietly, “I guess it’s tough.”

Bracken shook his head in exasperation, quickly regretting it and grabbing his head. This wasn’t going to end well. Not at all.

In the Commandants office along the corridor, a furious red mare bore down on the flustered looking desk clerk. The turquoise young stallion in a white, red and gold tabard looked up from his paperwork and returned the stare,

“I keep telling you madam, that Private Dust signed the papers under oath. As a previously serving soldier, he only needs to sign once for another tour of duty.”

“Your papers don’t mean crap” Gretel snapped back, “You can’t expect anypony under the influence of alcohol to make an informed decision like that.”

“It doesn’t matter,” the clerk replied, “he signed the papers and that is that. He will be released from service after a period not exceeding five years.”

“FIVE YEARS!” Gretel bellowed, “Not on your bloody life mister! I’m getting him out of here whether you like it or not.”

“Madam!” the clerk announced, “If you do not desist in your behaviour I will have you thrown in the cells.”

“You just try it, you damned lubber and I’ll forget about the trade agreement I have with the Princess.” She leaned across the table, “You do NOT want to make an enemy out of me.”

“And you do not want to make a deserter out of Private Dust, Madam.” The clerk replied levelly, “If he does not fulfil his obligation to Equestria, he will be hunted down and executed. Do I make myself clear?”

“I’ll make myself clear on your carcase, you smartarse desk jockey.” Gretel hissed, “Now, either give me those papers or get General Dray out here, NOW!”

“General Dray is in a meeting with the princess and cannot be disturbed.”

The red mare snorted, “Yeah? We’ll see about that!”

Gretel was incandescent with rage, her mind a whirling mass of emotions, the chief of which was the desire to tan Chalk’s pristine white arse until it glowed like the setting sun. That damned fool of a pony! Drunk as a skunk and chasing after that other irresponsible idiot, Bracken, the two were an inseparable pair of trouble makers -fighting each other in a tavern and then spending the rest of the night in the cells after the provost caught them. Chalk and Bracken had been beaten black and blue; whether by themselves, other drunken revellers or even the provost guards it didn’t matter. They were nothing more than a pair of damned idiots! Gretel felt like screaming she was so furious with them. Fortunately, Dray would be able to sort this mess out, and then that little bugger was going to catch it from her. He wouldn’t be able to sit down for a week!

The Captains hooves clattered over the cobbles as she headed to the castle proper, entered the front gate and into the interior. There were guards everywhere now and new recruits by the score, including numerous that had a hard look about them - ones who looked for all the world like they’d seen things nopony was ever meant to see. She didn’t ever want to see that look on Chalky’s face, to see it in his eyes - it was…frightening. Doc and Strata trotted along behind her, the now inseperable duo that had somehow become a regular fixture, and a good counterbalance to her more ‘emotional’ outbursts. She snorted. The Doc could be infuriatingly logical and preachy, whereas Strata could be a right pain in the arse. Still, he was quite accomplished when it came to magic, she’d give him that. Maybe one day she’d get around to asking him about his past, but to her it didn’t really matter. Why should it? She could never understand some ponies obsession with having answers to absolutely everything, and come to think of it, that was Strata in a nutshell…he always ‘had’ to know!

“HALT!”

The two golden armoured guards crossed their spears before Gretel’s nose, their blue eyes sparkling in the daylight filtering through the stained glass windows above. On the subject of light, she saw them in a very different one now that she’d seen them without the magical ‘colour changing’ effect that their armour had. Beneath it, these two were probably as dull as ditchwater. Gretel smiled from the corner of her mouth,

“Out of the way boys, I’m here on business.”

“The Princess and the General are not to be disturbed.” One of the guards glowered at her, “By anypony”.

Gretel raised an eyebrow, “I’m not just ‘anypony’, bucko, I’m Captain Gretel of the Amethyst Fleet and I demand to see the General…NOW!”

“No.”

The Captain took a breath, her hoof twitching towards her sword,

“Let...Me…Through!”

The situation was rapidly beginning to escalate and Doc quickly jumped in between the guards and the red coated mare,

“Please, everypony, this isn’t a way.” He lifted his eyes to the tall guard, “Sir, General Dray will want to see us. I cannot impress upon you enough just how important this is to the safety and security of Equestria.” He nodded to the other guard respectfully, “Please, we can wait for the General and the Princess to finish, as you stated, however I fear that Equestria…may not.”

The guards exchanged glances, until one of them, apparently taking the mental short straw, turned to the door and knocked quietly. It opened a crack, a voice whispering out,

“What is it?”

“Captain Gravel and a couple of ponies to see the General,” the guard whispered in reply, “they said it’s about the future of Equestria or something.”

“Captain who?” the voice asked.

The guard shrugged, “Buggered if I know, just let him know she’s here, you know, just in case.”

“Bloody hell fire…” The voice sounded exasperated, “Alright, just ask them to wait a minute.”

Gretel sputtered in indignation as she was politely, if rather firmly, guided to a cushioned bench beneath a large tapestry depicting a desert scene. Doc held his hoof up, shushing the Captain while her temper simmered just below the surface. Strata on the other hoof couldn’t sit still and was quickly up and about rushing from tapestry to tapestry muttering over the depictions of scenes and battles from long ago. It didn’t take long for the obligatory note pad and quill to appear as he began taking copious notes while muttering constantly to himself.

“He never stops, does he.” Gretel said quietly, leaning her head back against the wall.

“Not really,” Doc smiled, “he’s a mine of information too.”

The Captain groaned, “I just wish he had more that one speed…”

Doc chuckled, “True.” He yawned expansively, “How do you think Stock and Cyclone will be getting on? It’s a new ship, a new command and, in some respects, a new crew.”

“I think they’ll be fine.” Gretel replied, “Something we both know about sky galleons Doc, is that the mood of the ship rubs off on the crew. Those two are head over hooves for each other and the Wind Wraith knows it. Happy Captain…”

“-Happy crew.” Doc finished.

He closed his eyes and listened to the muted voices coming from beyond the door,

“Don’t think it’ll be long now.”

******************************

“You had no right to intrude in my personal affairs, General, even if you did so by proxy and for the right reasons.”

Celestia was virtually glowing with indignation. Dray on the other hoof, stood tall and proud, unshaking in the angry onslaught of his Princess,

“Your Majesty, you understand why though, don’t you? Your troops can see you are unhappy and they can sense your distress which will affect their morale.”

“Of course I understand that!” Celestia replied irritably, “But what am I to do, General? Become an emotionless lump of stone in case somepony thinks, Gods forbid, that I actually have feelings?

Dray shook his head, “Nopony expects you to be empty, Your Majesty, it’s one of the reasons they love you as they do, but if you continue to keep everything bottled up inside how can we know what’s wrong? How can we help you?”

“What is wrong, General, is private.” The Princess retorted, “That means it is NOT for discussion. I appreciate your concern, but in the same way that I don’t go poking my muzzle into your relationship with Major Wild, I therefore expect the same courtesy in return.”

“My…what?” Dray suddenly felt his face flush, “I don’t…”

“Oh don’t play games, General, we all see it.” Celestia sniffed, tossing her mane, “The two of you are obviously involved with one another, and why not? So long as it doesn’t affect your working relationship, I see no harm in what you two do in your spare time.”

“Wh…what we do?” Dray was lost for words, his mind reeling.

“General Dray, I am old enough to be your ancestor. I think I know a little more about what stallions and mares do in private without having to spell it out for you, do I?” Celestia rolled her eyes, “Now, as for…”

A commotion at the end of the throne room caught her attention,

“What’s going on?”

One of the court ushers trotted up and bowed respectfully,

“Your Majesty, General Dray, I beg that you forgive the intrusion, however there appears to be a ‘Captain Gravel’ here to see you. I understand the matter to be described as urgent, although I shall of course ask them to wait should you so desire.”

The Princess cocked her head, “Do you know a Captain Gravel?”

Dray shook his head, trying to regain his train of thought, “It, er…it could be one of Ochre’s old officers.”

Celestia raised an eyebrow, “We will continue this conversation later, General, however…” The Princess took a breath and lowered her voice, “I understand your concerns.”

Dray sighed in relief, “Don’t blame Lilly, Princess, please. It was my fault.”

The white alicorn watched the doors open impassively, “It was entirely your fault General.” She watched the small procession enter and groaned, “Yet it would appear we have other concerns to deal with now.”

Gretel walked along the deep carpet, the trappings of the royal court no longer holding any particular interest for her. Not the stained glass windows, not even the golden torch brackets that flickered with their magical blue flame even in the daylight. No…the grey stallion was here, him and the Princess. She would see to it that at least one of these two sorted out this mess before she ended up banging their heads together.

Celestia smiled, “Ah, the mysterious Captain Gravel, I presume?”

“Humph!” Gretel snorted, “I would get new guards if I were you, Celestia, if they can’t even remember something as simple as somepony’s name.”

The Princess smiled in reply, “How may we help you Captain? I understand that this is urgent?”

“You’re damned right it’s urgent!” The Captain announced, ignoring the warning waves from Doc, “That idiot Bracken has signed up again and Chalky has followed him like the imbecile he is.” She fixed Dray with a glare, “I want it voided, Dray, now.”

The General frowned, “Voided? I don’t understand, Captain, why would the two of them join up when they wanted to leave the army? Besides, Chalk Dust has joined your crew, hasn’t he?”

“He was pissed as a fart, that’s why!” Gretel snapped, “Not to mention beaten half senseless by your provost thugs. Who knows what was going through his head?” She glanced back at Doc and then rounded on the Princess, “And another thing, how come recruitment papers are being passed around the drunk tank? Are you aware this is happening, Princess? That’s effectively press ganging.”

Celestia brows drew down, “General Dray? I wasn’t aware of this.”

The General shook his head, “Neither was I, Your Majesty.” He turned to Captain Gretel, “I will look into this matter, Captain. I don’t know what’s going on here, but I’ll put a stop to it.”

“Good! I should bloody well think so too.” Gretel replied with a toss of her mane, “Then you’ll send the order to let Chalky out of the prison then?”

Dray waved to a guard, who trotted up dutifully. “Go with Captain Gretel to the holding cells and have the unicorn, Chalk Dust released,” Dray ordered, “and his friend Bracken too.” He shook his head, “Just, try and keep him out of any more trouble, Captain? I have enough to do without dealing with drunk ponies.”

“Oh, I’ll be dealing with him alright!” she replied with a sniff.

Celestia sighed quietly to herself. She didn’t need this right now; there was so much to do and now her nightly obsession with trying to re-open the portal and the way it was all affecting her was starting to cause concern about the court - she was beginning to find herself at her wits end. The Princess levitated up a glass of water and sipped at it thoughtfully. If only some of the old mages were here: the ones who had taught her as she grew up. They were incredible, their knowledge so deep and complex it actually left her feeling rather inadequate, despite having such an extensive library. If only she’d spent more time studying rather than dealing with the endless drudgery of administration! She paused: something had caught her eye…

Celestia quietly watched the indigo unicorn as he stared up at the stained glass windows with a look of awe. It was him…he was the one who’d helped with the black stallion on the ship. His magic was powerful, and strange too…she hadn’t seen its like since the days of…of…the Crystal Empire! Watching him, he seemed to detect her inquisitive gaze and gave her a cheeky smile and a wave. She lifted her hoof to wave back and suddenly caught herself,

“You!” she called, “Strata, wasn’t it?”

The unicorn stallion bobbed his head, “That’s right Your Majesty, at your service.”

“Excellent.” She felt a thrill run through her, “I would like to speak with you this evening good sir, if you would be so kind.”

Strata glanced at Gretel who nodded her assent before he bowed to the Princess,

“It would be my pleasure, Your Majesty.”

Celestia smiled and watched the strange party of friends leave. They were all so different, each one of them with their own distinct personality and yet always able get on with one another from what she’d seen of them. She chuckled to herself. That Strata was an odd one! He reminded her of somepony she’d known once - always springing around and in a near constant state of excitement. Every age had one.

She raised her hoof, “General Dray?”

“Your Majesty?”

“Please tell me you didn’t have anything to do with press ganging.”

Dray shook his head,

“I assure you Your Majesty, I had no idea this was happening, however I will put a stop to it. The last thing we need is ponies frightened to enlist to our cause.”

Celestia sighed and walked back up to her throne, “I trust you General. I don’t believe you would stoop to such methods, no matter how dire the situation. But please, do what you need to do to bring this to an end. Now, I shall need to prepare myself to deal with our lost and found nobility.”

“Do you think they will be willing to aid us?” Dray asked.

The Princess gave a wry smile, “Diplomacy was what I was brought up with, General. I learned very early on, that if the carrot does not work, then there is always the stick.” She shook her head sadly, “In this case, the threat of Nightmare Moon makes a very effective stick.”

The General bowed, “Then if you will excuse me, Your Majesty…”

Celestia nodded.

Trotting out of the castle, Dray fumed inwardly. This wasn’t how ponies did things! Press ganging? Good Goddesses, what where they thinking? And as the commanding officer it reflected on him too. He would have to deal with this quickly, and have the idiot responsible suitably chastised. Fortunately it wasn’t far to the provosts office, and in short order he was trotting up the steps to the main door of the low grey building. The outside was fairly plain stonework, with two of the red and gold tabard wearing soldiers standing either side of the dark oak door as the only splash of colour. They snapped to attention as the General walked in.

“Good morning, General Dray, how can I help you?”

Dray returned the salute to the pony behind the desk, “You have recruitment papers belonging to Private Chalk Dust, yes?”

“Uh…yes, Sir, right here.” The pony produced a sheath of papers from his desk drawer.

“Is the provost marshal in his office?”

The clerk looked flustered, “Why, yes. He…”

“-Good, then bring those papers with you and come with me.”

With a thump, Dray shoved the doors open and stormed inside. He wasn’t in the mood for pleasantries; in fact he wasn’t in a pleasant mood at all. All that work, all that preparation, and it could be undone by the thoughtless acts of some bloody overzealous idiot. Somepony was going to be in for it today.

***********************

Amidst the library’s endless shelves of dusty tomes, the memories of happier days Celestia had spent there with her sister came back to her. She smiled sadly, running her hoof along the tapestries, the long shelves, the places they played as foals. There still, were the special hiding places they’d found where they could avoid the stern eyes of their governess, the secret passages that she loved to play in and could appear like magic wherever she pleased to frighten the life out of the staff. It had been a wonderful time…a happy time. By the Gods…it was so long ago. How many lives of ponies had she lived now? It barely seemed to register with her any more; their brief sparks of existence, here today and gone tomorrow, as insubstantial as smoke. She closed her eyes, feeling tears welling up and fought them down. She couldn’t afford to let her emotions overtake her again; the result of that had culminating in Dray asking her maid for information. As much as it rankled, she couldn’t stay angry with him, or Lilly for that matter, it was, after all, her own behaviour that was frightening them. This wasn’t good; it had to be dealt with and with the Gods on her side, tonight might be the night.

The indigo unicorn stallion was deep in thought. She’d not seen him like this before, so…studious. Usually an overly energetic fellow, the magical creature was studying the books and notes with an intensity that gave her hope, and hope was something she desperately needed.

“Your Majesty,” Strata began, “This library is…simply incredible.” He looked around in wonder, “The knowledge accumulated here…”

Celestia smiled, “I know, master unicorn, but please…” she indicated the books on the table, “Is there anything here you can use to help you re-open the portal?”

Strata hung his head, “Maybe…with years of study and practice.” He looked up at her, his face pained, “Your Majesty, I was born with a gift for studying rare and unusual magics, but this, these ‘portals’, they utilise a type of magic I would doubt anypony alive understands anymore.” He shook his head, “This goes back to the beginning of Equestria, back before even the Crystal Empire. I wish I could help, I really do…”

The Princess looked away for a moment, fighting down the emotions surging through her before turning back to him,

“Are you sure? Are you absolutely certain? What if you took another look at the portal?”

“I don’t know what I’m looking at!” Strata said slightly louder than he intended, “This magic is like nothing I’ve ever seen! If I make a mistake, if I make an error, I could do something catastrophic that could lead to the destruction of our world!”

Celestia lifted a hoof in surprise, “The destruction of our world?”

“Yes!” Strata replied, scrubbing his head, “That’s what these books warn about almost constantly: that by opening an unstable portal, it could smash the two adjoining worlds into one another and cause something called a ‘cascade paradox effect’ - and I don’t even know what that means!”

“But I used a portal spell to escape my pursuers!” Celestia argued, banging a hoof on the book in front of her, “And here I am, very much alive. So it would appear your prophesies of doom may be somewhat exaggerated, don’t you think Mister Strata?”

“You used alicorn magic, Your Majesty,” Strata said fidgeting with his mane, “it’s different to anything I’m used to and it’s entirely possible that the spell you used was one with a specific purpose, that being, to transport you out of trouble to a place your enemy could not pursue.”

Celestia shook her head in frustration, “So why can’t I simply create the same portal again? Why won’t the stone portal open? I don’t understand this! None of it is making any sense!”

Strata closed the book and looked up at the Princess, “I don’t know for certain, Your Majesty, and I’m only speculating, but it seems to me that something or somepony has deliberately blocked the portal here in the castle. As for the spell you used yourself to travel to the other world, without knowledge of the co-ordinates of where you went, you could end up anywhere.”

“I know…” Celestia gritted her teeth, her eyes squeezed shut in her grief, “I’ve tried replicating the spell time and time again, but it just won’t work….nothing works…”

Strata shook his head. Something was bothering him about this, something that he’d heard while visiting the remains of an Empire outpost some years ago, but what was it? Damn it! At the time it hadn’t seemed relevant, but…

The Princess turned towards the door,

“Thank you, Strata, you can go now.”

“Huh?” the indigo unicorn looked up, “But, Princess, I can keep…”

“-No.” Celestia gave him a nudge with her muzzle, “It’s alright dear Strata, you’ve done all you can, and the hour is late. I fear that what I want is beyond the skills of any in this world.”

“Oh.” Strata hung his head, his eyes downcast, “I’m sorry…”

The Princess chuckled, “It’s alright. Now, go on, off you go. You have friends waiting for you.”

Bowing, the unicorn hesitantly left the room, his expression one of defeat and confusion. He’d tried his best, even uncovered things Celestia had never thought to look at before when it came to these sorts of magics. She’d sought the help of everypony she could think of, and young Strata had been her last hope…her last…She took a breath and stared up at the ceiling. Gods, how she wanted to cry, but what was the point? How many tears had she shed already? Nopony was listening, nopony could help her - she could only scream and rage silently to an uncaring world. ‘Uncaring’…Cold realisation surged through her veins - this was Fate’s doing. That old hag, the impassive creature that mother had introduced her to when she was just a foal and had predicted…by the Gods…she had, hadn’t she? She’d predicted this! The Princess could feel the magic beginning to well inside her, bringing her anger and fury to a boil. She couldn’t let that evil monster win, not now! She would strike down Nightmare Moon, send her forces to the next world and then she would find a way to open this portal. If not to find Rush, then to the world of the Gods, to the Eternal Herd, and from there she would find the old mare…Fate. She smiled grimly to herself; she would teach the old witch a lesson she would never forget.

There was a knock at the door.

“Yes?”

“Your Majesty?” It was one of the castle guards, “General Dray had sent a message, he says to tell you ‘We are ready’.”

Smiling, the Princess bowed her head, “Good. Tell the General I will meet him in the throne room shortly.”

Celestia stretched her wings and settled them back by her sides as she walked. Perhaps a change of pace would help to clear her mind and allow her to look again at the problem from a new perspective. She was all too aware how sometimes she would just thrown herself at a problem without first taking a step back and simply clearing her mind, giving herself the space and time she needed to think. ‘Emotion’…Her mother had warned her of how it could cloud your judgement, and she had certainly been right about that. Anyway, now was not the time for introspection. Now was the time to do what must be done. She shook her mane, sending rippling patterns of stars and colour roiling through it in the magical flow of her homeland.

Now was the time for action.

Inside the throne room General Dray was already waiting, together with several officers who bowed and left, leaving only the two of them together. Celestia’s heart was steady, her mind focussed - any distractions had to be put to one side for now. Settling herself into her throne, she nodded to the grey stallion who bowed respectfully and walked towards her, his golden armour shining in the light from the torches. He looked every part the veteran warrior, an officer and leader of ponies. She knew she had made the right choice.

“Your Majesty.” Dray bowed again, formally.

Lifting her head, Celestia could feel the electricity in the air, the sense of change and anticipation. Now…now was their time. She bobbed her head,

“General Dray, report.”

************************

The rigging creaked in the wind as the sails just started to catch the early morning breeze. The sun was beautiful today, illuminating the underside of the clouds and making the whole horizon glow with a deep orange-red hue. Gretel clopped Salty on the shoulder as she headed towards her cabin,

“I’m going to grab five minutes, Salty. Give me a shout when we’re ready to leave.”

“Aye, aye Cap’n.”

She opened the door and walked into the darkened interior. It was incredible how the sunlight could make everything in here look so different, even the outline of the unicorn sitting there as he looked wistfully out at the river.

Chalk didn’t seem the same as she remembered somehow. It was as if the fire, the life within him she loved so much, were dulled somehow. It worried her but he she knew he would be fine, in time. After all, it wasn’t like he’d never see Bracken again, was it? Soldiers had leave, and they could meet up. Of course, once this whole blasted mess was over then they could…could what? It wasn’t like Bracken liked ships was it? He hated them! Goddess damn it, was she jealous of that stallion? She gritted her teeth and poured out a brandy while Chalk just stood there like a spectre, the black shape outlined in the bright orange sunlight.

“Chalky, I know you’re upset about leaving Bracken behind, but we’ll be back soon.” Gretel knocked back the spirit and began taking off her hat and coat, “We’ll only be away for a week, no longer than that.”

“The army’s moving out.” Chalk said quietly, “They’ll be gone by the time we get back.”

Gretel paused and looked up, “He means a lot to you, doesn’t he?”

“We grew up together.” Chalk replied.

She felt her chest tighten suddenly, “You love him, don’t you.”

Chalk sniffed, “Not the way I love you, but yes. He’s like a brother to me, and I love my family.”

“I…I don’t suppose I really understand,” Gretel said walking over to the window beside him, “Mother and I were never close, not until the end. I had no siblings and dad, well…he was dad.”

“You loved him though, didn’t you?” Chalk asked.

“Hmph! Maybe I did.” Gretel shook her head, gazing out of the window, “In my own way, I guess…” The Captain’s words faded away, leaving an eerie silence in the cabin before Chalk spoke,

“Gretel?”

The Captain gasped as the unicorn moved in close to her, his eyes gleaming brightly, his muzzle so close to her that her heart began to race.

“I love you more than anything in this world, even more than life itself. I would gladly give you everything…” the white unicorn kissed her on the muzzle, “everything…” he closed his eyes and leaned his head against her, “If you want, if you ask me to, I’ll follow you.”

Gretel’s heart felt like it would burst. Dear Goddess, she was going to take him from his friend, his best friend, the one who had been there with him through thick and thin, and why? Because she wanted him, that was why! Because he was hers! But…but was it right, to do this? If anything happened to Bracken, Chalk might never forgive her. He may never say it, but it would be there within him, unspoken, eating away at his heart little by little, consuming her beautiful unicorn stallion until he were no more than a shell of the one she’d fallen in love with. She didn’t want that for him. Gretel gritted her teeth and bit back a sob,

“Chalky…” she pushed him away, “Go to him.”

He looked back at her, his face a mask of confusion.

“I…”

Gretel shook her head, tears welling in her eyes, “Don’t leave him behind; go to him. When this is over…”

Chalk stepped back, his eyes blinking, “Gretel, I don’t want…I’m not sure I…”

“Just go!” Gretel gave him a shove towards the door, “Get your gear and get out before I have you thrown overboard, damn you!”

“A…Aye…” Suddenly spurred into action, Chalk grabbed his kit and found himself reaching for the door in a state of absolute confusion. He hesitated, turning back to her,

“Gretel…”

She had her back to him, “Chalky.” She said authoritatively, “You are dismissed.”

“Aye, aye, Captain”

Gretel felt the door shut, heard the latch click into place, and closed her eyes. Damn it…it was so quiet in here, she could even hear her tears dropping onto the timbers. Amy was calling to her gently; she was there…she knew. By the Goddess she needed a friend, maybe even family, but Amy…Amy was both. Shaking, Gretel let go, allowing her consciousness to drift away to the world she shared with her ship.

PreviousChapters Next