• Published 4th Feb 2016
  • 6,984 Views, 931 Comments

Hero Souls: Awakening - SvenFoxx



Twilight always knew she was different. She just never imagined it was her soul that was different.

  • ...
23
 931
 6,984

PreviousChapters Next
4. Nobility

Author's Note:

Rewrite Edit: Ugh! This chapter needed a metric crap-ton grammar edits. I'm honestly kind of ashamed of myself.

Now, I know this is a cartoon and a suspension of belief is demanded in some ways… Just look at Pinkie Pie… but I just can’t bring myself to write Applebuck Season as it was written. There’s so much wrong with that episode that the humor fails completely to balance it out.

Applejack is a dependable pony. She is hard working, she’s competitive, and she’s proud, but she also tends to be the member of the Mane 6 who is the voice of reason… so how in the nine levels of Tartarus did we get Applebuck Season? Nevermind the fact that Sweet Apple Acres is simply too massive for two ponies, let alone a lonesome Applejack, to handle on their own. There has got to be at least ten farm workers that the family has hired. At LEAST!

There is being competitive, Applejack, and then there is being stupid.

EDIT 02/12/2016: I feel kinda bad regarding what I said about Applebuck Season. I stand by... a majority... of what I said, but I definitely could have said it better. So here's me trying to be reasonable.

Applebuck Season really isn't that bad for a character development episode. The issues Applejack kept running into were very real and very possible considering her lack of proper rest. (The less said about Baked Bads, the better. Gag!). However, one thing always brings the whole house of cards tumbling down for me. This entire episode hinges on Applejack working herself to unhealthy levels, which happened because she tried to handle applebuck season on her own. That shouldn't have happened!

Applejack grew up on a farm. The well being of the family and the farm is instilled into all farmer's children before their allowed anywhere near even a hoe. Applejack should have known that handling harvest on her own was not only impossible, but dangerous to herself and the farm. This is also ignoring the small hole of logic in the fact that Sweet Apple Acres, as big as it is, should have at least ten workers in the fields to remain efficient.

I liked the episode's lesson, I did! But it's execution could've been handled better.

As such, in place of Applebuck Season I will be doing the test Celestia’s chefs will be putting Applejack and her family through. I apologize if you do not like that I changed something like that. If that is the case, I feel I must remind you of something. Writing fan fiction is, in essence, changing the show to suit our purposes. If you enjoy reading fan fiction, then that means you enjoy the changes, if not… why are you here in the first place?

Enjoy the chapter! Or don’t. In which case, the exit’s that way. *Points at massive meat grinder*

Oh! One more thing. I struggled to get this chapter finished on time, and as such haven’t exactly had time to do my normal editing work. I ask that you please tell me if you spot any grammar, punctuation, or spelling mistakes. Thank you!:twilightsmile:

“Are you sure you’ll be able to handle Applebuck Season without us?” Applejack asked, looking at her older brother, Big Mac. “I can always try again next year if you need my help.” She was doing her best to not insinuate that her brother couldn’t manage the farm workers because of the bruised rib he got recently.

They, along with Granny Smith and Applebloom, were standing in Ponyville’s train station… which was currently little more than a platform on the side of the tracks.

“I’m injured, AJ, not brain dead,” Big Mac grunted. “I promise I won’t be doing any of the physical work, just management.” He pointed towards Canterlot in the distance. “You three go show those nobles how homemade cooking is done.” He smirked, before turning and slowly walking away.

Applejack sighed before sitting down next to her little sister. Granny Smith was on the other side of Applebloom. “I’m worried,” she muttered, glancing back at the exit of the platform. It was easy to see she was debating giving up on the contract and going to help her brother. Thwap! “Gah!” She looked over at Granny Smith while rubbing the back of her head. The old mare was holding a broom. Applebloom had ducked away as soon as she saw the broom make an appearance and was now giggling at her sister’s misfortune.

“Don’t go doubting your brother, missy!” Granny Smith said with narrowed eyes. “He managed the farm just fine during the Apple Family Reunion in Fillydelphia three years ago.”

“He wasn’t injured then,” Applejack grunted, only to get the broom handle upside her head again. Applebloom’s giggles became outright laughter. “Ow! A’right already! I give, I give!” Applejack hollered, holding her hooves above her head.

“Don’t back-talk to me young lady! I raised you to have a sensible head on your shoulders. You know as well as I do your brother never breaks his promises.” She glared at Applejack a little longer, likely contemplating a third hit. Just to be sure.

Applejack sighed. “Ah’m sorry, Granny. I guess I’m just nervous.”

Granny Smith smiled at her granddaughter and pulled her close. “Yer brother will be fine. He’s smart, unlike his old man,” she grumbled, getting a smirk out of Applejack and Applebloom.

Their father, may his soul rest in peace, had been a hard worker and great at any physical labor you put in front of him. Mental labor, on the other hand, was not his strong point. He wasn’t stupid by any means, but…Well, Applejack distinctly remembered walking into the house for dinner one night and found her mother holding her father down and trying to pry a box of matches from his hooves. He apparently was going to torch the ‘demon-spawn paperwork’ that he had been trying to work on all day. That was when her mother had taken over all the paperwork responsibilities. That was also the only time she ever saw her brother absolutely howling in laughter.

She wasn’t real great with numbers herself, but at least Applejack could do the basic paperwork for the farm. Big Mac though took after their mother, who had come from Canterlot and had an education behind her. She had taught him as much as she could before the… well… before they left.

Big Mac was now home schooling Applebloom. Applejack and him had already decided that, if they get the contract, the first thing they were doing with the money, after Granny’s hip replacement, was get Applebloom in the schoolhouse Cheerilee had recently opened in Ponyville. The replacement equipment could wait a little longer for that.

“Good. We’re not late.”

Applejack and her family looked towards the stairs for the platform and found Twilight, Rarity, and Pinkie Pie approaching, Twilight pulling a wagon loaded with their luggage. Applejack quirked an eyebrow when she noted Twilight was not actually walking, but rather just floating along about an inch from the ground.

“Hiya, AJ!” Pinkie greeted enthusiastically, rushing over and hugging her friend, incidentally hugging Applebloom and Granny Smith as well.

‘Probably considers it a bonus,’ Applejack chuckled to herself, returning the hug. “Howdy, Pinkie!” She returned. “I understand Rarity and Twi, but what’re you doing here?” she asked.

“The Princess sent me a letter this morning with Snow Cloud’s response,” Twilight answered in the party pony’s stead. She landed on her hooves and began undoing the knot keeping the wagon tied to her. “He wants to meet Pinkie himself before he lets her take over, so she’s going with us.”

Applejack nodded, and everyone’s ears jumped as the shrill sound of a train whistle reached their ears. Looking down the tracks, they spotted the pink train. “Up and at ‘em, Apples” She said, getting to her hooves. “Train’s here”

---

“So how will the chefs test you, Applejack?” Rarity asked after she finished helping Twilight store their luggage in the luggage car. The train had already left, evident by the rolling landscape outside the window of their car.

“The Princess sent us a message earlier today saying we’ll be tested on the three meals of the day. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner and dessert. We’ll be tested on breakfast as soon as we get settled in at the castle today” Applejack explained.

“So soon?” Rarity questioned. “Don’t you need time to prepare and gather ingredients from the market?”

Applejack shook her head. “Nope. The chefs are deciding what we’ll cook, and providing the ingredients as well”

“Ooh! Maybe they’ll ask you to make a birthday cake!” Pinkie gushed as she bounced by, apparently just wandering the train.

“Pinkie! One does not eat dessert for breakfast?” Rarity said dramatically.

“You don’t?” Pinkie asked, stopping to look at Rarity in confusion. “I do!”

“That don’t surprise me one bit.” Applejack chuckled.

“Hey everypony,” Twilight said with a smile as she joined them. “Did I miss anything?”

Applejack shrugged. “Just Pinkie’s daily sugar intake,” she said, poking the pink pony and getting a ‘squeeee’ sound for her trouble. “One of these days you’ll make sense to me, Pinkie.” She shook her head.

“I hope not!” Pinkie said with a grin. “Then I wouldn’t be in character!”

Everypony blinked at that blankly, before Applejack sighed. “Less and less sense every time,” she grumbled.

“What about you, Twilight?” Rarity said, getting Twilight's attention. “Did the Princess say who it was you were going to see?”

Twilight shook her head. “No, and I’m not entirely sure why. Normally she’s pretty open about stuff that has to do with me… barring the whole Nightmare Moon thing.” She chuckled sheepishly. “But I trust her. Whoever it is will be trusted by her, so I’ll trust them as well unless they prove I shouldn’t.”

“How about you, Rare?” Applejack asked. “Any plans yet on how you’ll get yer Prince?”

Rarity nodded. “A few, but the Princess said she wished to discuss it with me personally before anything was put into effect, so we’ll see what may work or not.” She sighed after a moment of hesitation. “Truthfully though, I cannot get Twilight’s obvious dislike of the Prince out of my head.”

“You’re angry that I don’t like him?” Twilight asked curiously.

Rarity shook her head. “No. Just the opposite. Everypony has different tastes, their own likes and dislikes. A fashionista learns that lesson early on in their work. It’s well within the realm of possibility that not everyone likes the Prince. No, I just can’t help but find myself questioning what I know of the Prince. I did as you asked, Twilight, and it took me a while to figure out why you wanted me to look into who owns the Canterlot media. I was… not thrilled at the picture I was discovering.”

“Let me guess, it’s Prince Blueblood himself?” Applejack asked.

Rarity shook her head. “No. That would have been too easy. It’s a variety of ponies that own the individual media companies of Canterlot. Star Ledger owns the local news station, Black Tie owns the Canterlot newspaper distribution center, Upper Crust owns the ad company, and Jack Trade owns the country-wide newspaper distribution center. Tell me, Applejack, do you know what those four ponies share in common?”

Applejack frowned, realizing it was a rhetorical question. She knew there was a variety of ways these ponies could be similar. Wealth, stocks, social circles… and suddenly she felt like smashing her face into the wall at the hidden-in-plain-sight answer. “They’re all nobles?” she guessed.

Rarity nodded. “Correct. Or, to be more accurate, they’re all nobles that Blueblood has in his hooves the ability to coerce because of the large stocks he owns from their companies.” She shook her head. “Of course, I don’t know for a fact Blueblood actually does that… but the more I go over the media involving him, the more I realize he seems… perfect. There’s hardly a flaw in his image. As you know, it’s impossible to be perfect, so therefore the only conclusion I am left with is that either he is forcing them to pad his resume, so to speak, or they are doing it without his knowledge.”

Twilight noticeable would not meet Rarity’s eyes when she looked over at her. “Tell me the truth dear… What kind of pony is Prince Blueblood?” The fashionista asked pointedly.

Twilight stared out the window at the passing landscape, a frown on her face. Just as Rarity was about to ask again, she sighed. “… Are you sure you want to know my opinions, Rarity? They may influence how you deal with him when you meet.”

“It is commendable, as the Princess has told you already, that you wish for me to make my own conclusions. However, now that I know something is amiss I refuse to go into the situation unprepared. Besides, I am still making my own conclusions, yours will just be one of the many opinions I will get while I’m at the castle,” Rarity answered.

Twilight smiled at her friend, and then closed her eyes. “…I met Blueblood roughly ten years ago. I don’t remember the exact date, only that it was shortly after the Princess took me in as her student. He was… less than pleased to discover a commoner was walking next to the Princess within the castle. He called the guards on me, telling them to kick me out. He had believed Celestia didn’t know I was there.” She snorted. “She’s an Alicorn for Starswirl’s sake! Her senses are nothing compared to a grown dragon in their prime, but they’re still sharper than a normal pony’s. If she didn’t know a child that was yammering in her ear and tripping occasionally was there… well, I would have to question her ability to rule.” That got a chuckle from her friends.

“Anyways, Celestia stopped the guards and informed Blueblood that I was her new student, and that I had full access to nearly every section of the castle, including her own bedchambers. Blueblood looked so adorably confused that I almost tackled him. The media got one thing right, Rarity. Blueblood is handsome, very much so.” She giggled. “He knows it too. Oh, the times I’ve seen him ham it up in front of the nobility. If it wasn’t for the fact that it would get the Princess disappointed in me, I likely would have been laughing hysterically every single time.”

“So… he’s just narcissistic?” Applejack asked.

“I wish,” Twilight grumbled. “No, Blueblood is more than narcissistic. He’s arrogant, belligerent, a massive bigot, and self-centered!” She paused and brought her emotions under control. “Blueblood is the finest example I have ever seen of how not to be a noble. If I was in your shoes, Rarity, I would just give this up and go home.” She smiled almost sadly after a moment of staring at her friend. “But I also know you. I recognize that gleam in your eyes. You see a challenge.” She chuckled ruefully. “You’re a lot like Applejack and Rainbow in that regard. Once presented with a challenge, you will see it done.”

Rarity blushed demurely, but declined to respond. The rest of the train ride was spent in companionable silence, and then a few games of poker when the rest of the Apple Family joined in. Applejack, predictably, was cleaned out in three rounds.

Once in Canterlot Pinkie and Twilight broke off from their friends to leave with, of all ponies, Princess Luna. Twilight had been surprised it wasn’t Celestis picking them up. Some guards led Rarity and the Apple family to the castle.

---

“Do you have any questions?” Princess Celestia asked the Apple family, standing by a door within one of the corridors of the castle. The door led to where the family would be staying during the weekend.

“How long until the first test?” Granny Smith asked.

Celestia nodded to her. “You have an hour to make your way to the kitchens. If you’re late that will be marked against you. I advise leaving your luggage for unpacking later, or you can let some of my servants handle the unpacking”

“No disrespect intended, Your Majesty,” Applejack started. “But I’m uncomfortable leaving my stuff in the hooves of strangers.”

Celestia nodded again. “Very well. If you’d like, I will lead you to the kitchens once you drop off your luggage.” She sat down to wait.

“Thank you kindly, Princess.” Applejack smiled. “Ah’m not sure we’d be able to find the kitchens, even if you gave us the entire day.” She chuckled as she walked into their room.

“Take your time. I have no duties left for the day, so I am not needed elsewhere,” the Princess called.

Once everypony had dropped off their things, they left and Celestia began guiding them to the kitchens.

Once there, and after an interesting conversation regarding the maze-like structure of the castle, Celestia ushered them inside.

Applejack and her family found themselves standing before an old looking Unicorn mare with grey fur and a black mane, wearing the stereotypical chef’s uniform. “My name is Excess,” she stated to the three ponies. “I am the head chef of the Royal Kitchens, as well as the one who decided what meals you will be making.” She motioned towards a dry-erase board with a list on it. “Princess Celestia has stated you wish to cater for the Grand Galloping Gala. Normally, this would be impossible. The catering was decided months ago, but it seems her student has finally realized her position comes with political power, and has asked a favor. If you managed to impress a board of four nobles, with Princess Celestia herself as a tie-breaker, we will allow you to take over catering this year. In case it’s not clear, that means you are cooking for five.” She pointed at the first item on the list. “Starting as soon as we are done here, you will be cooking a breakfast meal. It will be pancakes and eggs. The eggs will be sunny side up and served on top of the pancakes.” She looked at each member of the Apple family. “Are there any questions?” she asked.

Granny grinned. “When will you stop yapping and let us get to cookin’?”

The mare gave a bark of laughter. “Ha! You’ve got fire, I’ll give you that!” She pointed towards a table laid out with ingredients. “All the ingredients you’ll need are already here. You may begin at any time. I will remain here if there are any further questions.”

The Apples nodded to each other and got to work. After cleaning themselves up, Applejack started sorting through what ingredients they would be using, Applebloom began the mixing process for the batter, and Granny Smith began going over the stovetops to make sure they would work properly, as well as to memorize the layout for their later tests.

---

“Okay, I’ll bite” A monocle wearing stallion with a white coat and light blue mane stated after nearly ten minutes of silence. He also had a blue mustache. “Why are we here, Princess?” he asked curiously.

Celestia looked at her long-time friend and smiled. “I have a surprise for the four of you, Fancy Pants. I have received a request from a special family to cater at the Gala. Once I discovered why they wished to, I was all too happy to allow them to do so, but I knew I couldn’t just replace my chefs like that, so I arranged a series of tests. Today, they are cooking a breakfast meal for the five of us. Tomorrow, they will cook a lunch for us, and on Sunday they will be cooking a dinner and dessert.” She nodded towards the doors. “My chefs will be bringing us the food shortly, and I’d like you all to say whether or not you like it. I will pitch in on the vote myself if there is a tie.”

“A test?” Upper Crust asked curiously. She was yellow coated Unicorn mare with a white striped lavender mane. Pink ball earings were in her ears, and she wore blue eye shadow. “I must say, this is… unusual. The Castle’s staff has always catered the Gala. Why change this now?”

Black Bag frowned in thought. He was a brown coated Unicorn stallion that wore a pair of simple glasses and had a slicked back yellow mane. “I imagine it has something to do with why these ponies requested they cater the Gala. Would you be willing to share, Your Highness?” he asked.

Celestia shook her head. “I’m afraid it is their business. If they wish to share, I see no problem with it, but I will not break their trust in me for idle curiosity, just as I know they would never betray my trust in them.”

Brow Beat smiled. He was a dark grey coated Unicorn stallion with a white mane. “Of course not, Princess. If you trust them, they must be important ponies indeed. No point in angering a family when there could be profit to be made instead.”

Upper Crust and Black Bag nodded at this, but Fancy Pants was staring at Celestia in slight suspicion. ‘…I find myself wondering if I’m about to be at Ground Zero for one of my friend’s pranks,’ he mused to himself.

“Ah, the food’s here” Celestia stated, startling Fancy from his thoughts. All of the nobles turned, realizing servants were rolling in trays of food. “I have been informed beforehand that this is a simple breakfast of pancakes and eggs.” Celesta nodded in thanks as her servants laid a tray in front of her. “Please, enjoy,” she said as the servants gave the rest their own trays.

Then the lids were lifted off, and everyone was instantly entranced by the heavenly smell of the pancakes.

“Well! They certainly smell delicious!” Black Bag commented. “Let us see how they taste, shall we?”

“Oh my!” Upper Crust declared after swallowing her bite. “That is… how did they get it so fluffy?”

“The texture is perfect, and there’s not a wasted bit of butter or syrup anywhere.” Fancy agreed, swallowing his own taste. “Whoever these ponies are, Princess, they certainly know how to make breakfast.”

“The eggs are cooked almost flawlessly as well. In fact, the only reason it’s not perfect is because of personal preference,” Brow Beat added.

Celestia smiled as she ate her own pancakes. Fancy noted that it was mischievous. ‘…She is definitely planning something… but what?’ he thought.

After everypony had eaten and the trays were taken away, Celestia stood and moved to the front of the table so all four nobles could see her. “Now then, how was the meal?” she asked.

“Excellent. I vote for a pass.” Fancy nodded.

“Agreed. Pass,” Upper Crust said, dabbing a napkin on her lips.

“I truly can’t say I’ve ever had pancakes that good before. Pass.” Black Bag nodded.

“Pass,” was all Brow Beat said.

Celestia nodded. “I’m pleased you all enjoyed the meal. Now, would you like to meet the ponies who cooked your meal?” At everyone’s nod, the Princess signaled one of her guards, making him leave to fetch their chefs for the next couple of days.

Fancy suddenly had a sinking suspicion he knew what Celestia was up to. ‘Well… I suppose it does not matter who cooked it,’ he mused to himself. He glanced at the other nobles. ‘Though I believe my friend may be overestimating my fellow nobles if she is, indeed, doing what I think she’s doing’ Fancy shook his head, deciding that if this went south then he would, as always, support his friend.

After a time, the doors to the dining room opened and admitted three… Earth Ponies. ‘Oh dear’ Fancy winced. He looked towards Black Bag, and could already see the beginnings of one of his infamous meltdowns as he frowned in confusion.

“Earth Ponies?” Upper Crust asked curiously. She looked to Granny Smith. “What family do you come from? I imagine you must come from a different city, since there are very few Earth Ponies in the nobility in Canterlot”

“We’re from the Apple family, in Ponyville,” Granny Smith said, narrowing her gaze at Upper Crust.

“Apple family?” Fancy asked, a little quicker than he had meant to. “As in the famous apple farmers the Princess helped get started? Oh, forgive my rudeness. My name is Fancy Pants. The one who just asked you about your family is Upper Crust, and those two are Black Bag and Brow Beat,” he introduced, stalling. He was desperate for a way to mitigate the upcoming blowup from Black Bag.

“That’s us alright.” Applejack nodded. “Ah’m Applejack. This here little filly next to me is mah sister Applebloom, and the wrinkled old bat on my other side is Granny Smith.” Thwap! “Ow!” Applejack rubbed her head. She looked at the broom her grandmother was holding. “Where the devil did you even get that from?” she asked in confusion as Applebloom giggled at her sister’s misfortune.

“Behave,” Granny Smith said, waving the broom.

“…Farmers?”

The voice was almost too quiet to hear, but it still brought a dead stop to everypony, drawing attention to Black Bag as he glared at Applejack. “Did I hear that correctly? You’re farmers?” he asked.

Celestia’s eyes narrowed. “You did, indeed, hear that correctly. I helped establish the Apple family as the top farmers in Equestria, providing not just top grade apples all over the country, but other apple products as well. Eventually, their farm drew settlers and the town of Ponyville was started next to Sweet Apple Acres, the home of the main family of Apples.”

Fancy could hear the subtle warnings in the Princess’ voice, but Black Bag seemed not to. “Farmers…” The stallion nodded his head. He looked at the Princess. “You not only let peasants into the castle, Princess, but you let a family of mud ponies cook our food with their disgusting hooves?!” he nearly yelled.

Fancy could only let his head hit the table with a groan. “You foal” He grunted. Upper Crust and Brow Beat had also scooted away from Black Bag, realizing they were standing probably far too close to him.

Applejack was on her hooves in an instant. “You come over here and say that to my face!” she roared, her sister right next to her. Strangely, Granny Smith simply smiled, relaxing. Fancy found this odd… before he noticed her gaze occasionally glancing at the growing storm that was Celestia’s eyes.

Black Bag responded to Applejack’s demand by getting up and spitting on the floor in front of her. “I will say what I please about peasants!” he yelled. “Guards! Remove them from the castle!” he ordered the white coated stallions around the room.

The guards didn't so much as move. The Nobles had some ability to give the Royal Guard orders, but that ability was completely and utterly pointless in the presence of their Princess. Applejack did not notice, or more likely didn’t care, as she also began moving towards Black Bag.

“Stop.”

Even Applejack froze at the absolute authority ringing from Princess Celestia’s quiet voice. She, along with every pony there, looked over to find the Princess staring straight at a suddenly very pale Black Bag.

“This is my fault,” the Princess whispered. “I had completely forgotten about your… attitude towards Earth Ponies.” She shook her head, closing her eyes. Black Bag began sweating when he realized smoke was beginning to waft from Celestia’s mane, which was also beginning to grow brighter. “I knew most of you would be surprised at this revelation. I had been meaning to play a harmless prank with it… Disbelief was expected. But at the same time I expect the nobility to conduct themselves with both grace and honor, even in the face of adversity… neither of which you have just displayed.” She opened her eyes, revealing red irises.

‘Black Bag, my boy, you truly do not know what kind of dragon you have just tried to stab,’ Fancy thought to himself. Celestia, like all ponies, had anger. Also like all ponies, she had buttons and triggers for her anger. For most of them she could hold in her reaction to them being tweaked, but there was one button she didn’t even bother trying to hide when it was pushed.

Celestia despised tribalists. No, it would be more accurate to say she hated them. From the very few clues his friend had given him over the years, Fancy managed to put together a picture of Celestia growing up as a pariah to all three pony tribes because of her horn and wings. It was the curse of being the first Alicorn. Oddly, she refused to even mention her sister in regards to this. He was still unsure how to take that.

“Leave the castle, Black Bag. Do not return,” Celestia said simply, her mane beginning to flicker and crackle like a flame.

“B-but… I… t-they…” He was trembling badly, and Fancy gave him points in bravery for not immediately doing as the Princess commanded. Though, he may just be too terrified to move.

“Now” It wasn’t a yell. It was as calm and quiet as all of the previous words Celestia had spoken… but it reverberated throughout the room like a thunderclap nonetheless. “Guards, escort him out.”

The guards, despite being visibly shaken at seeing their Princess’ rage so openly displayed, jumped to attention and began dragging Black Bag out of the room.

Silence reigned for all of a minute, and then Granny Smith began cackling loudly. “Haaaahehehooo!” She was nearly rolling on the floor. She likely would have been if not for her bad hip. “It’s been too long since I last saw you blow yer top!” she said between laughs.

Celestia took a few breaths and managed a smile at Granny. “Yes…” She stood. “Excuse me. I must go freshen up,” she said, her mane already beginning to return to normal. Everypony took note of how the floor where she had sat was singed.

Fancy wanted to go comfort his friend, but he knew she had left a responsibility in his hooves to handle first. He turned towards the Apple family, and had to smile at the sight of Applejack looking a little shell-shocked and Applebloom staring worriedly at their still laughing grandmother. He cleared his throat to get their attention.

Once all three of them were focused on him, he began. “I apologize on behalf of the nobility of Canterlot for Black Bag’s…” He grimaced. “Unpleasant display just now. You may be happy to know that before you were revealed to us, he, along with the rest of us, had voted to pass your cooking on this test.” He smiled when that did the trick, getting a smile out of the sisters and a confident smirk from the elder. He clapped his hooves together in applause. “Truly, I look forward to tomorrow’s lunch if today was anything to judge by.”

“Additionally, I would like to offer my assurance that we will find a much more neutral noble to replace Black Bag on this panel,” Upper Crust stated. She could be arrogant, she’ll freely admit it, but what Black Bag had done was suicidal to a noble’s career. She refused to feel sorry for him.

Besides, those were some damn good pancakes.

“Would you accept a tour of Canterlot by us as payment for whatever grievances Black Bag left you with?” Brow Beat asked. He believed Unicorns were superior to the other pony races, true, but he didn’t dismiss that they were important in their own way either. Earth Pony magic was an unmatched boon for crops, and without Pegasi the weather would be uncontrollable.

Applejack smiled at them, though it was obviously somewhat shaky. “Thank ya kindly for the offer… but ah hope you won’t take offense if we just want to call it a day.”

Fancy nodded as he stood. “Perfectly understandable. As it stands though, the nobility owes you a favor. Come find me whenever you wish to call it in and I will do my best to see it done,” he stated, then left the room.

The other two nobles left as well, nodding goodbye. The Apple family left shortly after, getting a guard to escort them to their room. During the walk back, Applejack found herself remembering a lesson her mother had taught her regarding nobility.

“Nobility, TRUE Nobility, is a title reserved only for the most chivalrous of ponies” She had said. “Chivalry is about caring for the kingdom you call home, caring for the ponies within that kingdom, and always conducting yourself with honor. There are very few true nobles left in the world… but don’t assume you’ll never meet one. After all… I did. He was a nice Unicorn by the name of Fancy Suit.”

‘Fancy eh? I wonder if that Fancy Pants feller and him are related,’ Applejack mused to herself.

PreviousChapters Next