• Published 4th Feb 2016
  • 6,994 Views, 931 Comments

Hero Souls: Awakening - SvenFoxx



Twilight always knew she was different. She just never imagined it was her soul that was different.

  • ...
23
 931
 6,994

PreviousChapters Next
22. The Star Spangled Pegasus

Fluttershy kicked off the story first.

“I was at home getting ready for bed when Rainbow Dash showed up at my house. She told me about the fire at Town Hall and about needing Pegasi to start a tornado to put it out. She didn’t tell me about the Ursa, probably knowing I would have run away.

“I had just started making my way to the Town Hall when I came across said Ursa… just as it was bringing a paw down on you, Derpy, and Dinky. You shouted something, and suddenly there was far too much light to see much of anything.

“That’s when things got strange.”

---

Fluttershy frantically rubbed at her eyes, trying to get them to stop stinging from the impromptu flash grenade that was Twilight Overdriving. Not that she knew that yet.

When she could see again, it was to the jaw dropping sight of Twilight surrounded by a veritable hurricane of magic. The Ursa Major was thrashing around in the air directly above Twilight, held aloft by a thick haze of purple magic.

“Full Expel!”

Suddenly, the magic around Twilight compressed into a brightly glowing circle that floated around her horn. Symbols and markings Fluttershy had never seen before filled the circle. Then, swinging her horn upwards, Twilight pointed the circle and her horn at the Ursa.

“Magic Missile!” There was a pulse in the air, and then a massive beam of magic exploded from her horn, hitting the Ursa Major and completely overwhelming it. After a moment, the magic died down.

Fluttershy realized her jaw was hanging open just as Twilight collapsed, unconscious.

---

Twilight groaned. “Stars, no wonder I feel like crap,” she grumbled.

Fluttershy blinked. “Wait, that hurt you?”

“What you heard Twilight shout before that was Overdrive,” Celestia explained. “To summarize, it empowers the user immensely, but damages their body proportionately to how much magic they drew on.” She glared at a cringing Twilight. “Then my foolish student went and used Full Expel, which does exactly what the name implies. It funnels all of the user’s remaining magic into the next technique they used. That much raw power running through the body has killed ponies before. It’s nothing short of a miracle that she’s alive.”

“Oh.”

---

Fluttershy’s awe was cut short when she heard a roar come from above. She looked up and her eyes widened at the sight of the Ursa, smoking and damaged, but otherwise okay, hurtling back towards the ground.

Back towards Twilight and the other two ponies with her.

Fluttershy wanted to run, but something inside of her didn’t just resist that idea, it flat out demolished it with an unholy vengeance. Something clicked in her mind, and timed seemed to slow as she began running. She felt something rushing through her body, like adrenaline. Looking up, she saw the bear falling in slow motion. It was angling itself, raising a paw. By the glare it was sending Twilight, Fluttershy correctly assumed it was going to use the momentum of its fall for greater striking force.

Her body was moving faster now. Her wings began whirring with how fast they were flapping. She realized she was flying. Her eyes caught a trashcan lid in the path to Twilight. She scooped it up on her way by. Looking back up, she judged her speed, the speed of the falling Ursa, and her chances.

‘Not enough time to move them. Gotta hope this works.’ she decided firmly. She dived towards her friends and the ponies she had saved. She felt strength flooding her body. As a bonus, she started feeding her Pegasus magic into the trashcan lid, strengthening it. ‘This is gonna hurt…’

And the Ursa came down like a boulder at terminal velocity, slamming its paw into the yellow Pegasus. The force of the strike shook the ground.

Under that paw was the straining form of Fluttershy, using the trashcan lid to stop the paw from hitting the ponies at her hooves. Her face was screwed up as she exerted herself in ways very, very few Pegasi ever managed.

As she did, Fluttershy saw images run through her mind. Bipedal hairless creatures, humans she realized based off of Twilight's description of them. Some were dressed in simple clothes, and worked in a simple town. Some were dressed in greens and browns and looking serious, carrying strange long objects, rifles her mind told her. And some where dressed in important business suits, with cameras flashing in the background as she waved.

The Ursa pulled its paw back and stared at Fluttershy, obviously shocked. Fluttershy panted and groaned. Her body was going to hurt in the morning. The Ursa suddenly roared, and Fluttershy reacted by hurling the trashcan lid like a discus at the bear's face with all of her might. The bear's head snapped back as the trashcan lid bounced back. Fluttershy caught it as she flew towards the Ursa, and struck it in the face with a hard kick that once more made it stagger back.

She remembered being frail and weak. She remembered being bullied relentlessly for her weakness. She remembered life being hard. She thought she would have hid from the world at that point, but the man these memories belonged to didn't give up. Like a certain mare Fluttershy looked up to in her current life, the man, Steve Rogers, fought back. He almost always lost, but he never gave up. He never stopped believing one could succeed if they just tried hard enough.

The bear tried to take a swipe at Fluttershy, but she contorted around the swing, and then once more sent the lid into it's face. It roared in pain and frustration. Fluttershy then flew around its head and bucked it right in the back of the head, sending it staggering forward. She had never felt this strong and fast before. Even now she could feel her body slowly bulking up, gaining strength and speed. Her wings were becoming as strong and efficient as they possibly could, and her mind was getting sharper and sharper.

She remembered joining the Army, wanting to protect and enforce the America way; Truth, Justice, and Liberty for all. She remembered being turned down, and then given the opportunity to become greater than a soldier, to become greater than some piece on the board. If she survived the process, she would become a super-soldier. Captain America.

The bear tried to backhand Fluttershy as it turned towards her, but she deflected it with her makeshift shield. Then she got in its face and reared back, before solidly punching it in the forehead with the shield, using every scrap of strength her enhanced body could call on.

The bear went down like a sack of bricks, out cold. Fluttershy landed a little roughly. She was panting, sore, and all around exhausted... but victorious.

---

Twilight stared at her friend in shock. "You... you're a Hero Soul?" she asked.

Fluttershy nodded. "I am. I'm the Soul of Justice, Steve Rogers, Captain America."

"I think it goes without saying that the order to suppress medical information on Twilight now extends to Fluttershy," Celestia told Doctor Tender.

The Doctor sighed. "Yes, Your Highness," he said.

Author's Note:

To be clear, Fluttershy didn't block that initial strike without consequences. At least five different bones in her body were fractured, but in the ensuing three days they healed.

The reason Fluttershy could do what Twilight couldn't is because Twilight's durability is completely useless against magical attacks and strikes, leaving her just as vulnerable as a normal Unicorn. The Ursa Major is made of magic, meaning even blowing on Twilight would have probably sent her tumbling. Getting bitch-slapped through a house? Yeah, she could have died from that.

On the flip side, Fluttershy's body is enhanced by a chemical super-serum that is tailored for her Pegasus body. She is basically the genetically perfect Pegasus. Her body can withstand the force that strike exerted on her, but only barely. On that note, you should all probably assume that, when it comes to physical powers, the Ascended have tweaked the Hero Souls before they show up in Equestria, enabling said powers.

Now, here's Fluttershy's Character Sheet. Redacted, of course, of important bits for future chapters. I pulled Steve Rogers' abilities from the Marvel wiki. Let me tell you, I was not expecting the list I found.

Name: Fluttershy
Main Theme Song: Sight Unseen, by Black Gryph0n and Baasik
Gender: Female
Race: Pony
Sub-Race: Pegasus

Hero Soul: Steve Rogers/Captain America [Soul of Justice]

Abilities
Peak Pegasus Strength
Peak Pegasus Speed
Peak Pegasus Durability
Peak Pegasus Agility
Peak Pegasus Reflexes
Peak Pegasus Stamina
Peak Pegasus Senses
Peak Mental Processing
Accelerated Healing
Poison/toxin Immunity
Advanced Longevity
Indomitable Will (Will resist most, if not all, forms of mental manipulation, ranging from inebriation to flat mind control.)

Skills
Master Tactician and Strategist
Master Martial Artist
Master Shield Fighter
Advanced Military Operator (Can basically use any military skill ranging from assassination to radio operation.)
Master Acrobat
Master Marksman
Master Swordsman

MISC. Skills
Expert Sketch Artist
Multilingual (English, Russian, German, Spanish, Japanese, some French, and some Italian.)

Bio
Fluttershy was born and raised in Cloudsdale. She had once been rather adventurous and curious about the world, but severe and numerous bully encounters throughout school crippled her inquisitive nature and turned her timid and shy. This transformed into fear of the world around her, and stunted her development in flying as she could never force herself to fly higher than two feet off the ground/cloudstuff.

Fluttershy does not often speak of her childhood, but when she does she makes it clear that Rainbow Dash was the best of her very few friends in Cloudsdale, often standing up to bullies for her regardless of how badly that tended to end. [REDACTED]

It was during a race between Rainbow Dash and two of the bullies that bothered both of them that Fluttershy fell from Cloudsdale. Because of her fear, she could not get her wings to cooperate and would have died if not for the animals of the forest below catching her. Thankful for the kindness the animals showed her, she decided she would return it by helping to care for any and all animals that come to her for help. She witnessed Rainbow Dash perform a Sonic Rainboom just after this decision, somehow cementing it into her mind and awakening her latent Talent.

After enlisting the help of a Pegasus nearby to assure her family she was okay, Fluttershy decided to remain a ground-bound Pegasus and settled within Ponyville. She became the town’s most experienced veterinarian after some time.

Notes
Despite the life changing decision she made, Fluttershy still suffers from crippling shyness and fear of the unknown. Even after becoming the Element of Kindness, Fluttershy requires a push from her new friends to keep her within the social life of Ponyville.
---
[REDACTED]
---
[REDACTED]
---
[REDACTED]
---
[REDACTED]

Also, here's another piece of lore.

While magic can be used nearly instantly by any race on Equus, the more powerful spells and mysteries are often too difficult to utilize without something more than just force of will. It was Starswirl the Bearded who discovered that magic can be further refined for a spell through vocalization. In other words, by vocalizing the name of a spell, or a phrase you inherently feel connects to the spell, you make said spell easier to use. The longer the vocalization, the easier the spell becomes, but the vocalization must remain somehow tied to the spell itself, or it fails.

There is only one example in recorded history of Princess Celestia utilizing vocalization. The spell was a simple flamethrower spell. Today, we call the area in which she did so the Badlands, a wasteland where life is scarce and survival beyond difficult.

EDIT: I done goofed. I made it seem like using vocalization is what made Celestia's spell stronger when in fact all it does is make spells easier to use. Please ignore that, I'll figure out an alternative piece of lore later for the creation of the Badlands.

PreviousChapters Next