• Published 2nd Feb 2016
  • 5,268 Views, 54 Comments

Twilight Tries Not to Think - Flutterpriest



Lists are a simple way to keep yourself productive. If the list is detailed enough, you don't have to even think. The movements become mechanical. Automatic. Which might just be exactly what she needs right now.

  • ...
6
 54
 5,268

Clear Your Mind

Twilight threw her pillow across the room, and it crashed into a tall tower of her favorite books. The dusty literature scattered across the floor, but she couldn’t be bothered to pick them up, let alone try to grab the soaking wet pillow. Why would anypony want something so washed up? So useless? So terrible?

It should just go away.

Twilight sat up in bed and placed her face in her hooves. She wiped her damp cheeks and shook her head.

“Twilight. Stop. You can’t do this another night in a row,” she whispered to herself in the darkness.

She rose to her hooves and moved like a shadow to her bathroom. Once the alicorn stepped inside, she examined herself in the mirror. The weary eyes that stared back judged the Princess. Her reflection saw every single fault and failure she tried to hide from the world on a daily basis. Things everypony saw.

Twilight grabbed a bottle of sleeping pills and sighed to herself. Uncorking the bottle, she tilted out two of its contents. She stared at them carefully.

Then she dumped out two more.

“Would that be enough to help me sleep right away?” she mumbled.

Her eyes examined the four pills carefully.

Then she poured out four more.

Then, sixteen.

Twilight stopped, examining the medicine in the dark room.

‘That would do it,’ she thought. ‘Then I wouldn’t have to worry about anything anymore. I could finally do something right.’

Twilight’s hoof trembled.

She closed her eyes and put all but two of them back.

She downed the sleep aids without any water, then sauntered back to her room, moving the books back to the wall with her magical grasp as she returned to her bed. She drug herself under the covers and cradled into a ball. She shook and let out tiny sobs, praying nopony in the world would see.


Twilight opened her eyes.

A new day crept into existence, and Twilight felt today’s misery roll over her. To her it means a new day of lists. A new day of productivity. A new day of tasks that would make the next day a little easier.

She rolled over to her alarm clock, which sang its screeching, stabbing melody. She pressed the snooze button with a hoof, and then let her hoof slip and hang limply from the bed.

Spike would be back from the Crystal Empire in a few days. Princess Cadance had asked him to have some sort of special press conference regarding his hero status. It would be good for him. Spike had never really handled attention well, so this event teaches him important life skills. It teaches him to be special. To become important. So, now she was alone in this huge, empty castle.

Twilight rolled onto her back and stared at the ceiling. She felt the warmth of the blankets that clutched to her muscles and begged her not to move. She concentrated on her breathing and tried to clear her thoughts.

A list. She needed to build a list. Lists always helped Twilight stay organized and productive. Princess Celestia liked a focused and responsible student. Even more so for a new Princess. Therefore, she couldn't lie in bed all day, or stay curled under the covers, allowing herself to think.

Twilight started with one unwilling hoof. Then another. Then another. And soon, Twilight moved out of bed and heading towards the bathroom to get ready for the day.

'Get out of bed. Check. Today's already off to a good start,' she thought as she inspected the wooden floors on the way to the shower.

The beginning of the day rarely had paper or pen to guide her first few thoughts. The first goal: Get out of bed. An extremely simple task for most ponies. A task they didn't have to think twice about or expend any energy to perform. Move a few hooves, and then daily chores become automatic.Hours pass and then bed calls your name. It’s simple. So simple.

‘Why wasn't it simple for me? Why is she so useless—why did anypony waste their time on her?’

Twilight tried to clear her thoughts once more as she raised her head. Stepping into the bathroom, she examined herself in the mirror.

To Twilight, the reflection in the mirror told her exactly how the other ponies would see her that day. Did they admire her? Was she a proper role model? Was she performing all of the proper tasks of a Princess? Or was she just a disappointment?

Bags hung under her eyes and a slight lean in her posture. She stared into the mirror as if she hoped that the other side would say something to her. Some words of praise, a word of scorn, or even a simple hello. Anything but empty small talk. Something with substance that she could grip onto and return in some form of conversation. Yet, as much as she looked into those bloodshot eyes, examined the feathery wings, or studied her familiar horn, the reflection said nothing. Not a soul breathed, glanced, or even acknowledged Twilight. Nor would they want to.

She broke away, knowing the next few pieces of her checklist involved simple, easy chores. Take a shower. Eat something. Go outside.

Simple tasks were the easiest way to keep herself occupied. Tasks provided distractions she never had to write down and could always rely on if she felt unproductive. Twilight just needed to be active. She just had to keep her mind off things and do her list. Then, when she finally laid down at the end of the day, she could praise herself. She did something well.

Twilight turned the faucet to hot and water streamed down, filling the bathroom with a gentle patter. She stepped into the path of the liquid, but it took its time warming up. The icy temperature brought a smile to her face. The sudden shock of coolness against her fur sent needle-like spirals of pain down her form, but she did not try to evade the sensation. The dull pain felt good in some ways. Like it was—

Twilight cleared her thoughts and locked her eyes to the shampoo. Lifting it with her magic, she poured trails of it over her whole body, then used a separate loofah to lather it through her hair, mane, and hooves.

The water grew warmer, and soon her senses forgot the dull pains of the cold in favor of a more calming massage. Suds rinsed off her body down the drain, but she continued to scrub at herself. Even when all of the soap had fell off her fur, she continued, lost in her own thoughts.

'It's funny how often we take showers. Bathing once, twice, or even three times a day. And then the next day we end up repeating it again. We continually make ourselves dirty, and then try to clean ourselves. As if trying to clean ourselves makes us a better version of our true selves. Ponies even tend to favor company to those who regularly bathe themselves. The smell becomes too rotten and then the pony suddenly becomes too much of a burden to bear. Society abandons ponies who refuse to change. And—'

Twilight stopped scrubbing and hung the loofah back up. She sat on her flank in the warmth of the shower, staring at the ground, actively trying to keep her mind blank. The heat of the water held her tightly, and she wasn't quite ready to let go just yet. The ritual guided her like an old friend to her. Upon the first instance of meeting up with the old friend, a warmth washes over the moment, bathing you in nostalgia. However, these chance encounters usually don't last long. The two friends have lives to attend. Different worlds to live in. So eventually, the water grows cold. Trying to prolong it further doesn't bring the warmth back. It only numbs the chill to a new sense of normal.

That's how hypothermia sets in.

Twilight shut off the water to the shower.

'Check.'

Stepping out, she grabbed a nearby towel, dried herself off, and wrapped her mane into it to dry. She numbly made her way through the empty halls and listened to the silence around her. Silence bore deeper wounds than any knife could. Silence created thought. Silence possessed creativity. Whenever something didn’t occupy her head, her mind would begin to wander. A thought left unchecked comes to fruition. Danger lied in that thought.

Twilight moved into the kitchen and found the list she prepared for herself from the day before. An honest relief for herself. Creating the next day's tasks ahead of time always helped her stay one step ahead.

‘Start coffee. Heat the stove. Get the newspaper. Make pancakes. Eat breakfast while reading newspaper. Create a more detailed list for today,’ she read. The list couldn’t be more simple.

Twilight moved at a steady, regulated pace and performed her practiced routine. In a matter of minutes, Twilight prepared everything she needed to make her favorite breakfast. She had already been awake for under an hour.

'Surely today will fly by.'

Cooking required maximum attention and total focus. Especially when multitasking. Twilight chose pancakes specifically because of their difficult recipe. Timing was essential to make sure the cakes and all the other pieces of the meal finished cooking at the same moment. She watched each individual cake reach a perfect golden brown and hit the plate all at their proper time. Twilight knew she could probably save herself some trouble in the future by cooking more now, but decided that wouldn't be the best idea. She had a routine. She had to stick to it.

By the time she read her paper and consumed her meal, she looked at the clock. An hour and a half of the day had passed. She had barely done anything yet. She looked to a blank piece of paper beside her and eyed it with today's sense of dread.

Yesterday she cleaned the whole castle. She scrubbed the floors. She shook the rugs. She cleaned the toilets and washed the mirrors. The whole castle was spic and span, which removed that option for today. Her filled refrigerator marked that she didn’t need groceries, so she couldn't go out to get more. Besides, the food she already had could go rotten. Just like her. Stagnating, rotting. Becoming a worthless pile of—

Twilight traced a single square on the notepad repeatedly until it wore a groove in the paper, brainstorming what she could do.

'Do the dishes.'

She wrote the item down quickly, as if a breath of fresh air washed over her and gave her new life.

'What next... I could go get a welcome home gift for Spike... but he's only been away three days.'

She sighed to herself and set down her quill, taking a drink of her coffee.

'I could try re-reading a book... I guess.'

Except, even reading irritated her. She set down her quill again and rose from her seat, beginning to pace the room for ideas. For reasons unknown to her, the enjoyment of reading had just... disappeared. She would pick up a book, get a few chapters in, and find herself unable to push any further. The books were always fine, but she couldn't invest herself into them anymore, no matter what book. It didn’t matter if the novel were new, old, a classic, or even a favorite, she found herself walking away from it within an hour. Almost as if instead of the books having the flaw, it was—

Twilight cleared her thoughts once more.

'List. Make the list.'


Soon, Twilight had a large piece of parchment that she reviewed for the sixth time as she trotted through the village of Ponyville. She already sniffed the flowers at the flower shop. She played with the fillies down at the lake. Each item on the list helped pass the day as surely as the item before it. When she didn't provide herself a moment to breathe, hours easily passed by unnoticed.. To check an item off the list meant success. Not completing the list meant failure. So, Twilight continued on, checking items off with determination.

The sun began to sink lower in the sky when she came to the final item on her list, as well as the one she debated the most. Window-shop for dresses.

Contrary to popular belief, Twilight hated shopping. If there were something that she needed, the simplest thing to do would be to arrive at the store, get in, get out, and mark the task complete. However, Twilight hardly wanted to browse. Browsing fought directly against the time-oriented, completion-based mentality that came with a list. When browsing through a store, you had to take your time. Inspect each individual design. Compare and contrast each item. Then, at the end? You may walk away having nothing. In fact, you have less. You had less time. If somepony helped you, then they had less time as well. Effectively, you'd wasted time for both of you.

The door to Carousel Boutique opened with a jingle of bells, signaling the arrival of a new customer.

“Hellooo!” called the happy but familiar voice of Rarity. “We're just getting ready to—Twilight! Dear! How are you?”

Rarity's question created silence.

'How am I? I'm terrible. My whole body hurts. I'm so tired. I just want to scream, or cry, or something to try and let go of the knife that's buried into my chest. I want to feel like I can breathe. I want to be able to wake up in the morning like a normal pony that—'

“I'm fine. How are you?” Twilight responded quickly, ending the silence.

Rarity had approached Twilight and stood beside her with her usual, genuine smile.

“Oh, you know. Same old, same old. Going to take a trip to the Canterlot shop in a few days to check on the progress of the other boutique. Speaking of trip, how's Spike's trip? I'm sure he's been writing home about it.”

“Yes, he has. But the letters are on a bit of a delay. It's odd getting mail from the post-mare rather than instant dragon delivery.”

“Well, yes, I do suppose so,” Rarity answered coolly. “Well, to what do I owe the pleasure? It's rare that you stop by for a dress.”

“I, uhm. Wanted to window shop a little bit,” Twilight said.

Rarity examined Twilight carefully.

“Darling, you and I both know you don't want to window shop. You've never window shopped for a day in your life,” she said.

“That's not true,” she said.

“Books don't count,” Rarity said with a chuckle.

Twilight opened her mouth to respond, but the words she wanted to say caught in her throat. Her eyes moved to the floor and couldn’t release the silent words gagging in her throat.

“Dear... Dear, you do know that I was joking, right?” Rarity asked.

“Yeah. Yeah. I know, it was funny.”

Rarity studied Twilight, closing the gap between them. She took one of her hooves and lifted it to Twilight's chin.

“Darling, has everything been okay lately?” she asked. “You've been getting really solitary lately and it's more than just sorting your books. We've all been getting worried about you.”

“Worried?” Twilight said.

'Now look what you've done.'

Twilight tried to clear her mind by closing her eyes. After a quick moment, she took a deep breath and shook her head.

“I'm fine! I promise. I've just been able to get some things done around the castle with Spike on vacation. That's all!” she said, opening her eyes.

Rarity studied the expression that Twilight wore. Rarity was a smart mare. Smarter than the rest of her friends ever gave her any credit for. She could easily spot a lie. She knew when ponies hid things from her or spoke in purely half-truths. Rarity knew when there was, some sort of bleeding deep inside of them that her friend could help heal.

“Alright, darling. If you say so.”

Twilight just wished her friend could see through her mask.

“I, uhm. I think I should probably get home. There's probably a letter from Spike waiting for me, and I should get things cleaned up for when he gets home tomorrow,” Twilight said.

'This is close enough. I came to the Boutique. Check. I can do this. Only one item on the list left.'

“Are you sure there isn't anything else you need, Twilight?” Rarity asked her.

Twilight already had a hoof on the doorknob and was trying to push herself home. Silence returned. Twilight's thoughts returned.

'A hug?'

Twilight stopped in her tracks at the thought, and she felt the word stick in her throat. Strangling her. Killing her.

'I can ask for a hug. That's okay. That's normal. It's not weak. It doesn't make me a failure. I can still push through this. I'm fine. I can do this. But I will be stronger if I don't. I can do this myself. I don't need to be somepony's burden. I don't need to waste anypony's time. I've already wasted some of Rarity's today.'

“Not really! Thanks for the offer though! I'll see you later, Rarity,” Twilight said.

Then she exited the Boutique, having less than when she entered.


Twilight opened the door to her castle and focused on the final item on her list.

'Go to sleep.'

It was the simplest item on the list. Everypony sleeps. Some neglect it. Some over-indulge in it. Some have weird hours that defy the natural programming of the body, but everypony sleeps at some point. Normal ponies sleep.

Twilight made her way back to her room and checked the clock. She managed to stay productive today, just as she'd wanted. It didn't require any extra thought. It didn't require any extra effort. It was a normal day in the life of Twilight Sparkle. Moreover, she had the list to prove it.

Twilight had already made the quick-lists for the next day, the ones that would push her to make a new list. The last task to accomplish was the final item on the list.

She had already showered. Put on her favorite sleep clothes. Done her nightly routine and it was an hour before her normal bedtime. Tonight, Twilight was confident.

'As soon as my head hits the pillow, I'll be asleep. I just know it. Then, the whole day would have gone by quickly and easily.'

Twilight pushed herself under the covers of her bed, which cradled her carefully in its loving embrace. The bed was safe. This was her place that she could let go and finally feel at ease. She rolled and stared at the ceiling and closed her eyes, waiting for sleep to come.

A minute passed. Then five. Then fifteen. All in pure silence.

A silence that was difficult to keep a clear mind in.

'What time is it? Have I fallen asleep yet? Why can't I fall asleep? Please don't be another night of insomnia. I bet I was just too active before bed. Should I get some warm milk? Maybe reading a book would help.'

Twilight rolled over, sighing to herself.

'Why can't I fall asleep? What's wrong with me? Why can't I do anything right?'

She rolled over and put a pillow over her head, as if making the room darker would push her farther away from the thoughts that she wanted to escape. Anger swelled in her chest as Twilight tried her best to imagine a perfectly white room with no windows or doors.

Everyone falls asleep differently. Twilight had worked hard to research that fact. However, not one particular way worked for her. So she did her best to try as many as possible every night. One of which was focusing on a calm, peaceful place where nothing could happen. She imagined an empty room, just enough not to feel trapped in, but just small enough not to feel lost inside of the large space. She imagined what life would be like for herself in this isolated domain.

'No expectations. No worries. No obligations. No concerns...'

She went over her routine mental list carefully and meticulously, as if reciting the list perfectly would shield herself from the other mental invaders. The white room was a safe house, not a prison. No concerns existed there. No stresses invaded there. That sort of relaxation was exactly what she needed to fall asleep.

'I wonder how long I could stay in that room,' she wondered to herself. 'Just stay there for, say, a week. Just relax. Detox from stress. How long would it take until I felt normal again?'

Twilight shook her head then buried her face into her pillow.

'Stop. I’m normal. I’m a good student. I’m a good Princess. I’m a good friend. Ponies care about me. I do good things. I can accomplish so much.'

Then, silence.

'Then why do I think I'm such a failure?'

That was the turning point. Once Twilight asked herself that question, there was only one way this night would end. She knew it.

Twilight tossed the pillow across the room, now letting the tears run down her cheeks instead of into the pillow.

'Why does it feel like I can't do anything right? I can't even sleep like a normal pony. I keep lying to my friends and making them think that I'm okay when I'm not. I'm such a terrible pony. I'm a terrible Princess. I'm a disappointment to Princess Celestia. I'm a disappointment to my family.'

Twilight sniffed as she let her thoughts run wild.

'I just wish I knew some way to make somepony proud of me... but that will never happen. No matter how hard I work. No matter how productive I keep myself, I won't feel any satisfaction for it. It used to. Completing lists gave me so much joy and accomplishment... but now it's all just chores.The pony I used to be died weeks ago. I became weak. I can't let anypony know either or else I'll just be wasting their time. Nopony should have to lift me up. I should be able to do this myself. I don't need help. I can be a normal pony. I can be a normal Princess...'

Twilight drew a shallow and ragged breath.. She turned over and let her body become fully limp.

'What would happen if I didn't wake up? How long it would take anypony to find me? Would it be better if it were longer or shorter? Spike would probably be the first... but I'd just be causing him pain. He would have had such a fantastic trip and then find me dead. I'll just be ruining something else. I can't do that.'

Twilight blinked her eyes and shook her head.

'I haven't ruined anything. These are just silly thoughts. I just need to fall asleep. Counting usually does the trick. I'll just count.'

“One. Two. Three. Four. Five...”

So Twilight counted. She was able to keep her mind completely focused on the numbers in her head as she said them aloud. Soon, her words turned into whispers, and whispers to mumbles. Her eyes grew heavy and the blankets wrapped around her tightly.

“345... 346... 347...”

'See... I'm already getting tired. I'm doing much better than last night. I wonder if it's because I went outside...'

“348... 349... 350...”

Soon, the numbers were only in her head and Twilight's eyes closed tight. It wasn't long after that she was finally asleep. She had succeeded another day of pushing past the thoughts in the back of her head by keeping productive and not thinking. What did she actually do that day? She didn't know. That's what the scroll was for. However, her scroll still had one last item unchecked. One item sitting at the bottom of the list. One item that she couldn't check off unless she fell asleep.

'Wake up tomorrow.'

Author's Note:

You aren't alone.
There's plenty of help.
There is always someone there for you.
We're all your friends.
It always gets better.


This story is contained in my book "Dash Tries to Win Your Heart and Other Short Pony Stories"

If you have interest in purchasing this non-profit book, check out my online store at this link: http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?contributorId=1662371

Comments ( 54 )

Woah..

'I should take this to heart, I should learn from this, maybe I should talk to a friend about this'

"Great fic"

Damn son

I like how it got into the Popular story box so (and I uunderstand how because this is so beautiful)

This is a great story, and I understand its purpose, and I find it very, very noble.

At the same time, though, I couldn't help but feel like this could be a setting for an epic adventure story. Twilight feels like there is something missing and goes on a journey to find herself. She does not tell anybody, because she doesn't want to waste their time. Maybe she goes to the badlands, so she won't be found out.

Oh gosh...

Great story. I really enjoyed it.

Hits a bit close to home..
Very real
Great job

Good story. I Use music to keep my thoughts clear.

Holy shit. I have no words, for the first time in a long time I'm remembering how close I was to taking my own life. I never cry EVER but this story put several tears in my eyes. Great story as always. :pinkiesmile:

Takes a lot to get over something like that...

I would know... you never forget the cold barrel of a gun against your skull.

You are never alone :twilightsmile:

I was going to ask if you were okay, until I saw the author's note. :derpytongue2: Trying to express your feelings in some discreet way is in itself oftentimes a symptom of depression, and seeing how well you described all that made me wonder how intimate you might be with those feelings.

Are you?

Very well done. You've captured the feeling and symptoms of depression with great accuracy. Twilight's state in this story reminds me a great deal of my headspace a year ago before I got treatment.

I have no words :pinkiegasp:

Wow really capture the feelings of deperession. Well done priest.

Talking always helps even if at the time you dont think so. Im grateful for friends who listen to me in my time of need and i make sure to return the favor. Sometimes i use Twilight's methods to fight it and sometimes i succeed but like the story shows its just for another day. You just push it away for a bit but you don't get rid of it.

I am torn on my opinion about this. On the one hand, I appreciate this look into depression, especially as I myself have been there. It is also very well written. On the other hand I don't think this makes any sense at all for princess twilight. Twilight pre-ascension perhaps, but if there is one thing that has been hammered into her head by the time she ascends its the a true friend helps a friend in need. Her thinking that she should conceal her problems from her friends to keep from it from burdening them is odd. I can understand her getting depressed. I can understand her not telling Celestia and trying to act normal like it doesn't exist. I can understand her trying to hide it from ponyville because she doesn't want to worry them that one of their princesses is having problems. I can even perhaps understand her being too embarrassed to tell her friends, but I can't understand her thinking she would be burdening them.

6904318
That's kind of one of the points I was trying to drive home. It's not in character for her. It's -not- like her. Which is what depression does to people. This symptom and line of thinking is also very common. I thought it would work really well considering the pressure of her having to be a prim and proper princess.

We may not always understand the way people think when they are depressed. Amazingly talented individuals can feel like failures. The strong can feel weak. To us, we see the good. To them, they only see the flaws. So, yes. It doesn't make sense. It's intentional.

I hope that clarifies why I did that. If you still aren't a fan of the choice, that's fine. :) The story is far from perfect.

6904591 You're a great big dick for making me feel these feels and a talented writer. Good job at the painful accuracy. :(

So thanks for that.

I thought this was a freaking depression ad telling people to get treatment in pony form......I was not wrong.

I had manic depression for a few years straight and then it turned into this and I attempted to end it with a well placed long jump off a short bridge and I never felt so much pain in my fucking life when I landed and it snapped the ligaments in my knee and leg and almost quite literally split my sides.

It was in the hospital that I realized that people who jump off of bridges are fucking stupid. And I never thought I was worthless and depraved again.....just a massive dumbass that almost killed myself by jumping off the perfectly safe bridge to give the earth a high speed hug.

6945146
I'm happy you found your way through your depression, friend.

6945164

Indeed it was a eye opener for me I think, but that may have been when I came to and almost blacked out again from the pain....or when I opened my eyes and realized that there were some very sharp rocks at the bottom and that what i did was a serious mistake.

And it had me thinking for a very long time of how I missed those rocks, well...the sharp ones anyways.

You are not alone. People will help you whether it will be your friends, your family, your boss at work or even some goofy nutjobs on a pony fiction site but don't just hold it inside.

Seek help and remember that you are one of a kind no matter what anyone tells you.

Twilight had quite a depression. .:fluttershyouch:
Sorry though, Twi.. unlike most people, I don't understand depression cuz I never had one and I found it confusing:pinkiehappy:

Good story!!:heart:

I reviewed this story as part of Read It Later Reviews #43.

My review can be found here.

7054948
Thank you for the review, friendo. When I get some time, I'll give it a swipe of editing to clean it up a little better.

7055453
You're welcome! Good luck with that. :twilightsmile:

6904591

That's kind of one of the points I was trying to drive home. It's not in character for her. It's -not- like her. Which is what depression does to people.

So very true. Thank you for sharing this story.

As someone with depression, this is an absolutely spot on representation of how I feel when the bad times come.

I haven't read a story for a long time (as I prefer writing), but even just the description showed that this is a real gem. You conveyed Twilight's depression spot on; I could really feel her pain. As a compulsive list maker myself, I could understand how Twilight felt the need to have that sense of accomplishment.

All in all, very well done. Have a cookie.

It saddens me that more people haven't read this.

Thanks for showing me another aspect of FiM. I've been here for years and have never seen those groups.

If this came from personal experience, hope you came out stronger from it.

I like this. Better than most depression stories. Not that there bad, but by yours showing the charcter trying to solve her problems and with just a simple though of 'a hug' and rarity catching on, offer a solution and hope

It's strange for me as a professional counselor to encounter clients who have these sort of thoughts – and by strange, I mean in an alien sense. Much as I liked to advertise myself as a pessimist when I was younger, I've always had a positive and lively spirit. Never any issues with self-deprecation, never a night without sleep. And that makes empathizing so very difficult at times.

The one thing I can relate to though is the rampant thought process. There's never been a day in my life that I can remember where my mind has been completely silent. The only way I can calm the noise I create in my own head is by focusing on a single task – something which is used as a coping mechanism all so often for those with depression. Slowing my mind, bringing myself a sense of peace has always been difficult, and I can't imagine how much more difficult it must be when the thoughts are aimed against you.

Really liked this fic, because a few years ago, I probably would have scoffed at what I would have identified as really basic "thoughts of depression," the sort of thing I saw some people genuinely fake as a teen to gain the attention of others. But having been in the field for a couple of years now, I know these sort of thoughts are very real and very common for many folks.

Good read, and good authors note. Thumbs up. :twilightsmile:

This is my first fanfiction that I ever really read, and it was very good. I did kind of get the feels from it, though. Probably because Twilight has always been my favourite character and in a way, I can kind of relate to her in this story.

Addendum: I will admit the emotional descriptions are well fleshed out. (Twilight's thoughts on hot showers in particular resonate with mine.:twilightsheepish:)

This was fairly enjoyable. I have always been a fan of sad stories, and this one was pretty good. (Though I didn't quite understand the ending. Did she pass away in her sleep, or was it just talking about her failure to complete a list each day?)

7252577 If you're looking for more, I'm sure I could provide some. I've been on here for about a year and have had quite my share of giggles, tears and intrigue. Do you have a particular kind of story you like to read?

This was the first story I've read that gave me feels, man. It hits close, too. It happened to me that earlier this year I didn't feel the fun when playing any video game, and recently, if I'm not doing something or at least listening to music, bad things start to fly through my mind. Thankfully got over the video games thing and can enjoy them again.
This also reminded me a lot of this song (which I really like)

I like sad stories because they make me want to just hug Twi (in this case) until it all gets better. It's sad, very sad, but still, for some weird reason, I like that.

I've had days like this. Not to this degree, but days where I have to force myself to get out of bed and then end up dragging myself through the day, trying to find relief in things that used to bring me joy but now I just muddle through. Worse still when I keep it to myself for fear of being ridiculed or not wanting to drag my friends into my mess. These days are never fun.

Unfortunately, I have to be the bad guy for a moment, since there were a few things that took me out of the story and almost made me stop reading entirely.

She rose to her hooves and moved like a shadow to her bathroom. Once the unicorn stepped inside, she examined herself in the mirror. The weary eyes that stared back judged the Princess.

Which is she? A unicorn, or an alicorn princess? The mention of Spike being in the Crystal Empire made me think it was before Magical Mystery Cure, but you mention multiple times afterwards that she's a princess.

'Get out of bed. Check. Today's already off to a good start,' she thought as she inspected the marble floors on the way to the shower.

Where is she? Neither the Golden Oak's Library, nor her new castle have marble flooring, being wood and crystal respectively. The only place that regularly has marble flooring is Canterlot palace, which is where i actually thought she was at first. I could see the bathroom maybe having marble flooring, but the following paragraph has her entering the bathroom, so it couldn't be that.

Twilight moved into into the kitchen

Repetitive "into"

Some have weird hours that defy the way the natural programming of the body,

This should either be "Some have weird hours that defy the natural programming of the body," or "Some have weird hours that defy the way the natural programming of the body works,"

She managed to stay productive today, just as she wanted.

This needs to be past tense, so it should be something like "She had" or "She'd"

7254351
Thank you so much for pointing these out. I'll fix them up as soon as possible

7252017 But is Twilight the best canon character for this presentation?

She seems much more likely to fall into classic manic bipolar symptomatology than long-lived depression.

7257520

Yeah, I could easily see her falling into that category. But if I were doing a fic like this, I'd use either Twi or 'Shy. I could see either having the issues displayed here; Twi makes sense because for all the logic and reason she uses, it often falls flat because of the internal struggle taking place, not to mention her propensity for thinking nine-hundred miles an hour and hyperorganization. Intelligence – and even an intimate understanding of friendship, support, etc. – have little impact if something like this gets deep-seeded and blends together with other factors, both internal and external.

7257563 Interestingly, Rainbow Dash might actually be the best fit for one manifestation of depression. Over-compensation is one of the masks people with chronic depression can wear. Outwardly, they appear confident and outgoing, while inwardly they are exceedingly self-doubting.

Dash exhibits some of the signs when faced with potential failure.

Fluttershy... you'd have to rework her character immensely. She's perfectly happy by herself and surrounded by animals and quite clearly confident in her abilities and satisfied with her place in the world. She's actually a perfect fit for social phobias, but not for chronic depression.

In fact, the clearest pony fit for depression is Luna. With the Tantabus episode, the inner self-doubt and loathing, the self-flagellation, constructing a mental mechanism to relive failure... that's CLASSIC depression.

I was looking for bad 2nd-person AiE fics and found this instead. It's good! I'd always passed on your stories before, just because of the tags and descriptions.

This seems like a normal day for me, so I can relate. Only differences are the lists and the lies. You done need a list to repeat the same motions every day. And as for my friends, they just laugh and think I'm joking when I answer honestly how I am. The ones that don't tend to just stop asking. :pinkiesad2:

Her eyes examined the four pills carefully.
Then she poured out four more.
Then, sixteen.

I'll take one, 'cause I needed to feel it so much
I had an emotional crutch, but
I'm feeling bored so I'll take some more
Cause nothing is happening...

Kept this in 'Read Later' for the days when I'll feel depressed. They are here and the story fits this so well. I feel better after reading it. I really do. Not good, not neutral. I still feel bad, but it's still better than before reading. :)

Every time I read this, I imagine how it would have ended if Twilight had asked Rarity for that hug.

Quite a bit differently, I think.

I've put off leaving a comment because I haven't quite found the right words to say. Here goes another attempt; maybe I'll post this one this time.

There are people who will take all sorts of different things from this. Solace in their depression. Insight into a friend who struggles. Understanding and empathy. Appreciation of the craft and art of writing shown. All that and more. Some might see all, some might only feel one, but everyone who reads this will take something away.

It's a masterful balance of melancholy and movement; it doesn't stagnate in Twilight's thoughts, but visits them just long enough to convey feeling without drowning. The lilting journey through Twilight's day dips into the dark and resurfaces to keep things moving. This is a stumbling block a lot of stories that touch on these topics don't always manage to clear.

The last line, however, is what gets me. I had many guesses about the final item on her checklist. That one, however, is more perfect than what I expected. It's beautifully sad and yet wholly hopeful all at the same time.

Well done, and well enjoyed.

Login or register to comment