• Published 31st Jan 2016
  • 6,467 Views, 318 Comments

Love Call of the Sirens - Justice3442



Love Tap has a reputation for being excellent at taking care of children. Twilight needs somepony to help look after the sirens. These two things really shouldn't have any connection, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

  • ...
16
 318
 6,467

Chapter 3: Whhheeeeeeeeeee!

“AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!”

“WHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Sonata Dusk cut through the air like a knife… that was flying through the air and also doing loop-de-loops and stuff! It had been such a long time since she had been back in Equestria and an equally long time since she could fly so well under her own power. There had been attempts before her return, of course, but her diet cola and Mentos jetpacks mostly just left her sticky and wet...

… For some reason, Sonata thought of Adagio… Oh well! Now seemed like a good time to start singing, because every time seemed like a good time to start singing.

“You got a reaction~
You got a reaction, didn’t you?”

“AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!”

“You took a white orchid~
You took a white orchid turned it blue!”

…Wait, what was she doing? Also, what was that screaming noise going on behind her? Sonata glanced behind her and noticed a brown colt wearing that spinny fun hat! Oh hey! And he was on her back! Now how did that happen?

“Something better than nothin’~”

-~Earlier~-

Sonata Dusk trotted through the house like a light-blue pegasus that was trotting through a house. Which was convenient, because that’s exactly what was happening.

New mommy wanted to talk to Adagio, Aria, and her about… uh… something… Something boring… But new mommy didn’t have pictures, or puppets, or even pizzas that were like giant tacos! What was Sonata supposed to do?! Just sit there and listen quietly?! She wasn’t going to just sit there and listen quietly! You sit there and listen quietly!

Oh hey, stairs! Stairs often led to bedrooms in Sonata’s experience, or possibly dark, dusty attics full of see-through playmates that wanted to play forever! How cool was that?!

Sonata trotted up the stairs, which was much easier for her than it usually was because she now had four legs instead of two! Those wily stairs weren’t going to be able to trip her now! No sir-ree! She was climbing those stairs like a boss! She was like some sort of commander of the stairs! Their leader even! The stairuh… Major! Yeah! The Stair Major! Definitely the Stair Major and not the Stair something-else-that-begins-with-M.

“Sigh…”

Oh, hey! The stairs led up to a hallway full of rooms! And one of the rooms sighs! Awesome!

Sonata walked into the room and in addition to its magical sighing properties it also was full of toys, video games which Sonata knew would make Aria happy, and even the colt in the spinny hat on a bonus bed!

Can you say ‘jackpot’? Can you spell ‘jackpot’? j-a-k… pot. Yeah!

“Oh, hey Sonata,” Spinny hat kid said.

What was his name again? Hrrmmm… Hrmmmm…

Uh…” Spinny hat kid uttered as he stared at Sonata. “Are you okay? Why are you staring at me like that?”

Yay! Someone… er… somepony was paying attention to her! Oh right! Spinny kid’s name was… was… “Hey! Your name was Mutton Bash, right?”

Er… Button Mash.”

Sonata let out a victorious, “Yes! I was mostly right!”

Button Mash responded by blinking rapidly a few times before talking. “So uh… is mom done talking to you?”

Sonata thought about this for a moment. “Probably not!” she answered cheerfully.

“Oh well… Do you need to go back downstairs?”

Pffft, no!” Sonata said. “I already conquered those stairs!”

Button seemed excited about this prospect. “You did? You didn’t almost trip on them or anything?”

“Nope! I’m the Stair Major!”

Button smiled widely. “Wow! Can I be a Stair Major too?”

“I don’t see why not!” Sonata trotted over to Button, got up on his bed, and wrapped a foreleg around him. She motioned upwards with her other foreleg. “Stair Majors forever! Stair Majors forever and forever a hundred years! Stair Majors…some… things… You and me the Stair Majors climbin’ stairs and… Stair Majors all day long forever… all a-a hundred days Stair Majors! Forever a hundred times over and over Stair Majors… Adventures dot com. W W W dot at Stair Majors dot com!”

Sonata stopped as she noticed Button was giving her a blank look. Poor other people-er-ponies! They just couldn’t keep up with her amazing intel-lick! Oh, woe be the curse of genius!

“So, ummm…

Oh my gosh! Button’s hat was still so spinny!

“… Do I need practice or…”

“Silly Button! Practice isn’t a ‘p’ word that involves pictures, puppets, or pizza! Silly Button!”

“… Uh… Well… I guess that’s true...”

Sonata nodded her head up and down enthusiastically. Perhaps there was hope for Button yet! “Hey! What was that thing you wanted to do? Race lumping?”

Uh… Base jumping.”

“Yeah! Case thumping! We should do that!”

Button frowned. “But I haven’t really talked it over with my mom yet! And I’m not sure she’d want me to go without any adult supervision…”

“I’m an adult!” Sonata said happily.

Uh… You are?” Button asked skeptically.

Sonata nodded her head up and down. “I mean… I’m old enough to be an adult, sure! Also, I can see really good!”

“… What?”

Sonata jumped back to the floor. “So we should go do that mace humming thing now!”

Er… Okay, sure,” Button said. “So I guess the Stair Majors should go downstairs?”

Sonata trotted over to a window in Button’s room and opened it. “Stairs? Where we’re going we don’t need stairs!” Sonata unfurled her wings and nodded towards her back. “Climb on!”

-ooo-

“You took a white orchid~
You took a white orchid turned it blue!”

“AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!”

Oh right! She was going face mumping with Button Mash! She turned behind her. Her song finished, she decided she could use a little more information about this brace stumping. “Hey, Button! Where’s this lace krumping thing at?”

“AAAAAAHHHHHHH”— Button Pointed –“the-big-castle-right-next-to-us-AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH—Just-land-on-the-roof!—AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!”

“Okay!” Sonata said. She scanned the area for something that was big and also a castle. Luckily, there was only one thing in the area that was both those things. It was a castle that looked like it was made out of crystals, or rock candy, or crystal rock candy! Whatever of those things it was, Sonata decided she would lick it when she landed on top of it.

“AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!”

Which was going to happen about now!

Sonata pulled her wings in close to her body and placed all four of her hooves on the castle roof which was conveniently flat. Her hooves made a screeching noise as they tried and failed to stop Sonata and Button from sliding across the roof. Stupid Hooves... Hey! Was that a telescope she just skidded by? She was sure that was a telescope she just skidded by! Oh hey! There was a big… wall thing rushing towards her! She decided she’d name it ‘Wally’! Wally was practically running towards her! Hello, Wally! Do you want to be friends?

“AAAAAAAAAHHH—!”

‘THWACK!’

As Sonata laid upside down in a heap with Button Mash, she remembered that walls were very solid and also not very good at hugging.

Button Mash moaned as he, too, laid upside down. His legs twitched in the air, seemingly involuntarily as if he currently had some sort of spinal injury that had short circuited his central nervous system.

Sonata was sure that he was fine.

“Oh my gosh, Button! Are you okay?!”

Sonata looked up… No wait… she was upside down so… She looked down, but she tilted her head up in relationship to her current spatial position. She gasped. A talking marshmallow! A talking marshmallow with a horn, emerald eyes, and purple-and-pink hair asking about Button! The marshmallow looked like she’d make a much more huggable friend than Wally.

“Sweetie Belle!” Button exclaimed as he scrambled to his hooves.

See! Totally fine! Button was already running as fast as he could towards the marshmallow named Sweetie Belle! Diving on top of her and wrapping his legs around her as if he just thought moments ago he’d never be able to touch her again.

Who could blame him? Who knows how long that marshmallow was going to last before Sonata ate—er— somepony ate her! Oh, that reminds me!

Uh… Hey, Button!” Sweetie Belle said from the observation deck floor as she hugged to the young colt that was currently holding onto her for dear life. “I-uh-missed you, too!”

An orange pegasus filly with a short magenta mane rolled her eyes. “Oh my gosh! You two saw each other just a few hours ago!”

“Ahh, leave ‘em alone, Scootaloo,” A yellow earth pony filly with a red mane replied and eyes that reminded Sonata of a sunset replied. She had a big pretty red bow! Sonata wanted a big pretty red bow! The candy Sonata was licking tasted funny…

“Button looked like he had a pretty harrowing experience there,” bow-pony said.

“Apple Bloom’s right.” Sweetie Belle agreed. “I mean… Button could have died!

“And it would have had nothing to do with us for a change!” Scootaloo added. She narrowed her eyes and pointed accusingly at Sonata. Yay! More attention! “How dare she muscle in on our territory!”

“Scootaloo, that’s not funny!” Apple Bloom chastised.

Scootaloo shrugged. “I’m just saying what everypony is thinking.” She looked at Sonata again! Geez, Sonata was sure popular today! “Except maybe that pony. I’m not convinced she’s thinking about anything!”

Alright, I’m gonna give this weird tasting candy like… 20 more licks… 50 tops, then I’m going to stop.

Sweetie Belle looked at Sonata and then down at Button who still had his legs wrapped around her. “So who’s this pegasus, Button?”

Scootaloo raised an eyebrow. “And why is she licking Twilight’s castle?”

Sonata mentally crossed out ‘Twilight’s castle’ on her running list of things that were good to eat as she slowly retracted her tongue back into her mouth.

Button raised his head and untangled himself from Sweetie Belle, allowing her to get back up to her marshmallow feet… or hooves. Sonata observed that the marshmallow also had hooves. Button motioned to Sonata.

Oh! Happy day! Everyone-pony was paying attention to Sonata again!

“This is Sonata Dusk,” Button introduced. “She’s one of my new sisters!”

Sonata watched as the trio of fillies all simultaneously seemed to contract lockjaw. She held her breath and covered her mouth in case it was an airborne pathogen.

“Sister?!” Sweetie Belle exclaimed.

“New?!” Apple Bloom added.

“One of?!” Scootaloo chimed in. “You ended up with even more?!”

“Yeah! My mom adopted Sonata and two other girls!” Button said. “Pretty cool, huh?”

Scootaloo’s lockjaw returned. “Your mom is just adopting random girls?! Why wasn’t I informed?!”

Apple Bloom shook her head. “Ah’m sure Button’s mom had a good reason for suddenly adopting three mares…”

Button Mash nodded his head up and down. “Yeah! Princess Twilight Sparkle gave my family a bunch of money and stuff to adopt them! She’s going to give me all the video games ever and a pool and stuff.”

“What?!” Scootaloo exclaimed. “Is this… Is this just some sort of program Twilight is doing?! Giving away free stuff along with ponies?!” She motioned to herself. “Can I sign up?!”

Apple Bloom rolled her eyes. “Scootaloo, Spike told us Twilight was busy taking what she announced would be a bubble-bath long enough to challenge his record. Ah’m starting to think there’s a connection between Button’s new sisters and that.”

Scootaloo narrowed her eyes at Apple Bloom. “Oh yeah? What makes you so sure?”

Apple Bloom pointed at Sonata, who was currently killing it at the ‘hold your breath’ game.

Scootaloo shot Apple Bloom a dirty look. “Thanks a lot, dream crusher!”

“So this just happened?” Sweetie Belle asked. “Like… in the last few hours since I saw you last?”

Button nodded his head up and down. “Uh-huh! Just a little bit ago. Mom adopted Sonata and the other two and then Sonata said she wanted to go base jumping with us! Whatever that is.”

The three fillies all exchanged confused glances.

“Button,” Sweetie Belle began, “you’ve been base jumping before… with us!

“I have?! Why don’t I remember?!”

Scootaloo answered, “You probably selectively blocked that memory as a psychological tactic to keep functioning on a day-to-day basis without resorting to feral screams of horror for hours on end. I’ve done that with a bunch of things we’ve done… probably.” Scootaloo’s lavender eyes looked off into the distance as if they were trying to go on a journey far, far away. “It’s kinda hard to figure out what’s a regular nightmare and what’s a repressed memory of trying to get our cutie marks.”

Button Mash frowned. “Well, what do we do?”

Sweetie Belle’s horn glowed emerald as a similar glow enveloped a large backpack of some sort. Sweetie Belle floated over the backpack. “We put on these parachutes and jump off the roof!”

Button’s eyes shot open wide. Sonata knew that look. It was the look of somepony (Yes! Sonata remembered!) who suddenly remembered something they didn’t like! Like the taste of broccoli or when the Wild Kratts stopped being cartoons and are like… two kinda old dudes?! What the heck was up with that?!

“All around me are familiar faces~”

Oh! Button was singing! Sonata loved singing.

“Worn out places, worn out faces~”

… But Button’s song sounded really sad.

Scootaloo sighed heavily and shook his head. “There he goes again.”

Apple Bloom chimed in, “Honestly, Ah’m not sure what any of us expected to happen.”

Sweetie Belle setted down the parachute and began to pat Button on the back gently. “It’s okay, Button! We’re jumping from much higher this time!”

Scootaloo rolled her eyes. “Right, that’ll make him feel better!”

Apple Bloom turned and looked at Sonata.

Well it’s about time somepony remembered I was here!

Uh… Should we be concerned Sonata’s face is turnin’ purple?”

Button shook his head as if to clear it and stared at Sonata. “Sonata?! What’s wrong?”

Sonata quickly uncovered her mouth. “Lockjaw!” she said before she put her hooves back over her mouth.

The four foals all exchanged confused looks.

“Who’s Lockjaw?” Sweetie Belle asked.

Apple Bloom furrowed her brow. “Isn’t that the pony that runs the scrap heap?”

Sonata uncovered her mouth. “No! You all have lockjaw! I saw it,” she said before covering her mouth again.

The foals exchanged more confused looks.

Scootaloo turned back towards Sonata. “We don’t have lockjaw, and even if we did, it’s an infection. It’s not contagious.”

“Oh, good!” Sonata said as she removed her hooves from her mouth. Hey, why was everything springing and blurry all of a sudden?

“Uh, Sonata?” Button said. “You can breathe now!”

Breathe?! There wasn’t time for that! Sonata needed to figure out why everything was so fuzzy and why she felt sleepy!

“You know,” Button continued, “that thing you do when you let air into your lungs?”

Oh right! That thing! Sonata exhaled, inhaled, and exhaled again. Suddenly her vision cleared and the world stopped spinning. “Phew! That was close!” Sonata smiled. “Who would have thought breathing was so important!”

The four foals just stared at Sonata some more. Wow, she really was Ms. Popular today!

Scootaloo nodded towards her. “I think I see why your mom was asked to take care of these ponies, Button.”

Button turned towards Scootaloo. “I’m sure that was just the oxygen deprivation talking for a bit there.”

Sonata’s left ear twitched as the word ‘deprivation’ fell down into the cavernous space in her head. Flailing and screaming, the word frantically searched for any word it resembled. Just as it saw the light of Sonata’s other ear where it might fall through to be forgotten forever, it finally found something close enough it could grab onto.

“Silly Button!” Sonata said with a smile. “Oxygen is a gas! It can’t get be expulsed from a country! Besides, what would ponies breathe if the government forced out all the oxygen?! Silly Button!”

“There, you see?” Button said as he motioned to Sonata.

Scootaloo shook her head. “None of what she said filled me with confidence of her cognitive functions.”

Apple Bloom raised an eyebrow. “What’s with you and all the big words today?”

“I like going through the thesaurus, alright?” Scootaloo said. “Lay offa me.”

Sonata gasped. “Thesaurus?! What kind of dinosaur is that?”

Frowning, Button turned towards Scootaloo. “Alright, I think I see what you mean.”

“Could we maybe focus here?” Sweetie Belle asked. She levitated a few parachutes over to Scootaloo, Apple Bloom, and herself. “We still have base jumping to do!”

Scootaloo and Apple Bloom grabbed their parachutes out of the air and began putting them on.

Sweetie Belle looked at Sonata. “Sorry, I only brought four parachutes.”

Sonata spread her wings. “Uh… I can fly. Why would I need one?”

“Oops, yeah…” Sweetie Belle said sheepishly.

Scootaloo chuckled and smirked as she put on her parachute. “Wow, Sweetie Belle, even she knew that!”

“Shut up!” Sweetie Belle replied. Sweetie Belle glanced at Scootaloo’s wings. “I just forgot, okay?”

“Hey!” Sonata piped up as she pointed towards Scootaloo’s wings. "You’re a pegasus too, so why do you need a parachute?”

Scootaloo flinched. “Uh…” She started galloping towards the edge of the castle. “Gotta-go!-Bye!” Scootaloo fired off before she jumped out into open sky.

“Guess that’s our cue,” Apple Bloom said as she ran after Scootaloo and joined her in the air.

Sweetie Belle levitated up the parachute that was sitting next to Button and smiled at him.

Button cringed as he remembered a short fall into a painful thorn bush. “Uh… Maybe I’ll sit this one out.”

“You sure?” Sweetie Belle asked as she put on her own parachute. “You might get your cutie mark if you join us!”

“That’s okay!” Button said. “I don’t mind getting my cutie mark in something that doesn’t involve jumping off of high places.”

Sweetie Belle gave Button a warm smile. “Alright, see ya on the ground!” With that, Sweetie Belle ran after her friends and jumped over the side.

Button Mash cantered over to where the girls had just jumped and looked down. Sonata followed. There were two open parachutes just a little bit below them. A third one suddenly deployed. Button breathed a sigh of relief as it did.

Sonata looked down at the parachutes, then at Button. “Wait, aren’t you going too?”

Uh… No? I just told Sweetie Belle I was going to sit this one out!”

Sonata felt her lips purse into a frown. Oh this wouldn’t do at all! “But all your friends jumped!”

“… Yeah, so?” Button asked.

“Well you know what they say, if everyone is jumping off a bridge, you should do it too because otherwise you’ll be left out!” Sonata giggled. “I mean, this obviously isn’t a bridge, but the idea is clearly the same.”

Uh… Pretty sure that’s not how that saying goes.”

“Of course it is!” Sonata says. “Now trust your big sister and get out there!” Sonata said as she shoved Button over the edge.

“AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhh…!”

Sonata’s pupils suddenly flooded over to cover her lilac irises. “Oh right… earth pony…”