• Published 29th Jan 2016
  • 1,726 Views, 1,533 Comments

The Last Cutie Mark Crusader - Jatheus



Equestria is at war. The land is plagued by an unending horde of timberwolves that pour out of the Everfree Forest. Cities have fallen, and it seems everypony is powerless to end the slaughter. Scootaloo was one of the first to enlist...

  • ...
14
 1,533
 1,726

PreviousChapters Next
21 - Discovery, Part 3 of 7

Duster was enjoying a pleasant dream when his sleep was shattered by the light coming on in his squad's tent.

"Up, up! Out of your racks and onto your hooves!" Drill Sergeant J yelled to the members of Scootaloo's squad.

It was disorienting to be thrown from the quiet dark into bright light and noise so suddenly. Duster was the last one to come to attention.

"Load up with full harness and packs. You have thirty seconds!" Drill Sergeant J roared. Nopony budged, prompting anger to flash across the donkey's face. “When I tell you to move, I expect you to move, now!"

They all sprang into action, fumbling with their harnesses and trying to get their packs on. Another drill sergeant, a blue pegasus mare, was watching a timer. This only made Duster even more nervous than he already felt anytime Drill Sergeant J was around. When they finally finished getting their harnesses all set, the pegasus with the timer looked up and shook her head.

"That's a minute and a half,” she said rather flatly.

Out of the corner of his eye, Duster noticed that Doff was still struggling with his gear.

"By Luna’s tail, what is the matter with you?" Drill Sergeant J asked Doff.

"Sir, I'm having trouble with my harness, sir," Doff replied.

"Do you know how to work a harness?"

"Sir, yes sir," Doff replied.

"Then why are not you finished?"

"Sir, I don't know, sir!"

"Colt, I asked you a question! I don't know is not an answer. Do you know how to put on your harness?" Drill Sergeant J asked again with his usual severity.

"Sir," Doff quivered fearfully, "no sir."

"Featherplume, assist Cadet Doff," Drill Sergeant J said, stepping back.

The pegasus drill sergeant stepped forward, and with incredible ease she stripped the harness from Doff, untwisted and put it back on him. Duster didn't have a timer, but he was amazed that it seemed to go with such ease when she did it.

"We were going to go on a short ten-mile trot, but since you took three times longer to get geared up than ordered, we're going thirty miles instead."

Everypony groaned, causing anger to flash in Drill Sergeant J's eyes, but then things took a turn for the worse.

"Can't we just fly it instead, sir?" Quickbeam asked.

"Forty miles then, at a canter!" Drill Sergeant J bellowed.

Quickbeam was about to speak again, but Locknload cleared his throat loudly.

Turning on him, Drill Sergeant J asked, "Do you have something to say, Cadet?”

"Sir, no sir!" Locknload replied. "Sir, I am simply ready to follow your orders, sir!"

Duster wasn't sure, but he could have sworn a small smile flashed across Drill Sergeant J's face for a moment.

"Fall in! Ladies first, Featherplume!”

With the mare leading the way, they started out into the darkness. In spite of the distance they were about to run, Duster was actually grateful that they weren't flying. He had a cramp in his left side from the relay they had done only a few hours before. That was a small favor considering he had never tried to canter forty miles. They reached the perimeter of the training grounds and the guards opened the shield for them. They were heading south, directly into the western edge of the Everfree Forest. The sun hadn't even come up yet, and it was already shaping up to be a horrible day.

PreviousChapters Next