• Published 29th Jan 2016
  • 1,726 Views, 1,533 Comments

The Last Cutie Mark Crusader - Jatheus



Equestria is at war. The land is plagued by an unending horde of timberwolves that pour out of the Everfree Forest. Cities have fallen, and it seems everypony is powerless to end the slaughter. Scootaloo was one of the first to enlist...

  • ...
14
 1,533
 1,726

PreviousChapters Next
20 - Revolution, Part 4 of 10

Trying to stay positive was becoming a full-time job for Cloud Blazer. His reputation as an optimist might be in jeopardy given the current situation, not that reputation was a major concern. The pain-numbing medications were being used much more sparingly now, which made sleep difficult, a shame for it was the one sweet relief he could get from the numerous hurts now. His body ached all over as it mended. Sometimes stabbing pain would shoot through various places, and headaches were frequent. Sometimes even the faintest light would be intensely upsetting to him.

He didn’t receive many frequent visitors. Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom were the only two that were around often. In actuality, Sweetie Belle was there constantly, for which Cloud Blazer was grateful. Sparklefly and Scootaloo also visited daily, but only for minutes at a time. Sweetie Belle didn't have much knowledge of the war in general, but she told him everything she knew. Scootaloo's promotion and sudden demotion had been of particular interest, especially as those events had caused such a stir in town. Cloud Blazer had never been overly fond of Diamond Tiara, and he very much hoped that Applejack would defeat her in the election. More than anything, he kept wishing that all of this was just a nightmare, that he had hit his head when he fell but wasn't otherwise hurt. Try though he might to keep his mind occupied, dread and grief always found him quickly now. His wings had been amputated; this was not a dream. A cold sweat formed on his brow as the thought crossed his mind.

"What are you thinking about?" Sweetie Belle asked from the visitor's chair.

"What? Oh, nothing really," Cloud Blazer lied.

"How bad does it hurt?"

"Which part?" he attempted a joke.

She smiled uneasily at him. He hadn't meant to make her uncomfortable.

"Sorry," he said. "I'm getting better, but I try not think about the pain. It only makes it worse."

"I'll try not to bring it up again," Sweetie Belle apologized.

"It's fine," he replied as he winced from a stinging that shot up from his back right leg. It was apparently the worst injury, not counting his wings. The one thing he didn't break was his spine. Doctor Horse had explained to him that the intact spine would provide him with a “very good possibility” to “eventually” be able to walk and run again. He had an “optimal chance” to lead a “full life”. Cloud Blazer could only wonder how the doctor could know what it was like to lose the ability to fly when it was something he'd never experienced. Still, he was trying to stay positive. There remained hope for happiness, even if he never flew again. The main thing Cloud Blazer wanted right now was to find some time with Scootaloo to tell her how he felt about her. Every passing day made him much more certain that it wasn't a dream, delirium, or the medication that had caused him to fall in love with her. Perhaps some combination of those things made him realize it, but the attraction had been there for a long time. The very thought of her made his pulse quicken; it was almost intoxicating. They'd been close friends for several years, but there was never previously any cause to think of her differently...

"Now what are you thinking about?" Sweetie Belle asked again.

Shaking his head slightly, Cloud Blazer said, "Still nothing."

"Well, look who's finally awake," a familiar voice said.

Cloud Blazer looked up just in time to see Sparklefly pushing a wheelchair into his room. She was followed closely by Scootaloo. He felt his heart begin to race at the sight of her. Time could stop for all he cared; he could live in that moment. She smiled at him. Somehow, she seemed much prettier than he had ever noticed before.

"Hi, Scootaloo; hi, Sparklefly," Sweetie Belle got out of her chair.

"Hey," Scootaloo replied.

"Where's Apple Bloom?" Sweetie Belle asked.

"She wanted to stay with her sister in case she needed anything," Sparklefly replied.

The newcomers from Cloud Blazer's old squad approached the bed. He could have sworn that Sparklefly blushed and turned so that her eye patch was away from him.

"Welcome to my new mansion," he said, trying to sound overly cheerful. "The food's not that great, but they wait on my every need. I haven't had to get up for anything."

Scootaloo snorted a laugh. She asked, "How are you feeling?"

"Better every day," he lied.

She smiled again. He decided he really liked it when she smiled.

"Feeling up for a ride?" Sparklefly asked.

"Are you kidding? I was hoping you guys would show up to break me out of this joint."

Scootaloo asked, “Didn’t you just call this your mansion?”

“Hey, that’s the past. Try and keep up, will you?”

"I've already been over everything with Doctor Horse," Sweetie Belle began. "Zecora helped me learn another immobilizing spell that will strengthen all of the injuries, but you’ll be able to move."

"So I can walk?"

"Oh my, no!" Sweetie Belle almost squeaked. "You're not nearly ready for that."

Cloud Blazer realized that his expression was disappointment when he saw their reactions. Trying to quickly cover his feelings, he said, "Eh, no matter. I'll be running soon enough." It looked like Sweetie Belle and Sparklefly were convinced, but he could have sworn there was a lingering concern on Scootaloo's face, if only for a moment. He'd have given anything to be alone with her so he could tell her... but he was far too nervous to even attempt to make that happen.

"Are you ready?" Sweetie Belle asked, her horn beginning to glow with pale green magic.

"I've been ready for a week," he said, still feigning cheer.

Everypony was silent as Sweetie Belle's magic began flowing over the stallion. He could feel several joints stiffen and become completely rigid. Her face had extreme concentration written on it. She worked her way from head to hoof on him, and as she finished, a small shower of sparks shot from her horn, making him flinch. Sweetie Belle teetered a moment and sat down abruptly.

"Are you okay?" Scootaloo asked, trying to catch her as she went down.

Sweetie Belle shook her head, "Yeah, I'm fine. Just give me a second. How do you feel, Cloud Blazer?"

He tried moving everything, but two of his legs, as well as some other muscles were immobilized by the magic. The best part that he noticed was the lack of sharp shooting pain when he did move. The strong dull ache continued, but he could manage that.

"I feel like I could fly," he said with a smile. The grimaces on everypony else's faces made him realize that he should have chosen his words more carefully. That choice of words had to make them all feel uncomfortable. This in turn reminded him of his newfound lack of wings, but he wasn't sure how to spin this in a positive way. He finally said, "So, are you guys going to put me in that chair, or what?"

Scootaloo and Sparklefly loaded him in the wheelchair, which was an uncomfortable process. More than once, he was poked or positioned in a way that was rather painful, but he did his best to politely have them change it. After a few minutes they finally had him sitting as comfortably as possible and ready to go on an excursion. Cloud Blazer was able to breathe a little more easily once they had him situated.

"Alright, shall we go?" Sparklefly asked.

"I'm pushing first," Scootaloo declared.

"As if you don't push me around enough anyway," Cloud Blazer teased.

"Well, I have to stay in practice," she retorted.

They made it out of the hospital without incident. Sparklefly and Sweetie Belle led the way with Scootaloo pushing Cloud Blazer following behind them. As they emerged into the afternoon light, Cloud Blazer's eyes had to adjust from the interior lights of the hospital. It was a cloudy warm day; it looked as if rain might be coming soon, not that it would get through the protective shield. The air was much more fresh than inside, but there was a scent of dust and a faint lingering smell of sweat. As he looked around, the thing that amazed him most was the near total transformation of Ponyville. There were gigantic banners blanketing many of the buildings with pictures of Diamond Tiara on them. They had sayings about her and her politics. From his knowledge of her, most of it was either stretched truths or outright lies. As they continued on toward town hall, everypony stopped suddenly. It took him a moment to see why, but when he did, he understood the expressions of shock on their faces. The biggest banner they had seen yet was right over the town hall, which is where the debate was to take place. Engulfing the building, it had a photo of Mayor Diamond Tiara visiting Cloud Blazer in the hospital. The caption read, ‘Your mayor supports the troops and the defense of Ponyville. Re-confirm Mayor Diamond Tiara!'

"How did that even get printed today?" Cloud Blazer was aghast.

"She came to see you this morning?" Sweetie Belle asked.

He nodded in reply.

Sparklefly said, "It certainly does defy sense that she'd even be able to get something that large printed on such short notice, but I think they really captured you."

"That's not funny," Scootaloo said.

Sweetie Belle sounded frustrated, "Oh, that Diamond Tiara just makes me so mad! I do not like her, not one bit!” she exclaimed as she kicked the ground.

Suddenly struck with an idea, Cloud Blazer said, "No, you guys have it all wrong."

"What do you mean?" Sparklefly asked.

"This is going to work out well for us," he continued.

“What are you talking about?” Scootaloo asked.

"Well, I'm a citizen of Ponyville. That means I'm allowed to ask one question during the debate. One just came to mind," he said with a fiendish grin.

PreviousChapters Next