• Published 29th Jan 2016
  • 1,734 Views, 1,533 Comments

The Last Cutie Mark Crusader - Jatheus



Equestria is at war. The land is plagued by an unending horde of timberwolves that pour out of the Everfree Forest. Cities have fallen, and it seems everypony is powerless to end the slaughter. Scootaloo was one of the first to enlist...

  • ...
14
 1,533
 1,734

PreviousChapters Next
35 - Games, Part 9 of 11

Sparklefly marched at the head of the column. She immediately regretted the way she'd spoken to R, but she wasn't sure what to do about it. Surrounded by eyes that would take notice of her giving attention to him made apologizing something she dare not risk. In the moment, she’d felt threatened by him. It was only after she’d processed the look on his face that she realized how far she had overreacted. A knot was in her stomach as Ash Eater still weighed heavily on her mind.

Overhead, Scootaloo lead a CAP to scout ahead as they moved south in the sand-covered rocky waste that was the badlands. The hot dry air made breathing unpleasant, and the ground was scorching everything that touched it in the afternoon sunlight.

No danger was visible ahead, but there most assuredly was behind. Of even greater concern was their dwindling supplies, primarily water. If all went according to plan, this would work out. If it didn't, things were going to be bad. They had regained most of their numbers, and at over fifty-thousand strong, there wasn't much use for stealth.

Sparklefly’s lungs burned from the gritty dry air, and her legs didn't want to go any further. Scanning about, she could see that everypony around her looked at least as weary as she felt. For their sakes, she chose to smile and feign an air of invincibility, albeit a thin facade. Scootaloo’s squad disappeared in the cloudless distance as they continued south. Mane Crusher and General Brax walked beside Sparklefly, but she was the only member of the Taskforce present at this location. The others had spread themselves throughout the corps.

A scout landed in front of them and ran to Brax, but Sparklefly couldn't hear what he said.

"Thank you, corporal," the general said, "Carry on."

"Something up?" Sparklefly asked as the scout flew away.

"Down to less than a tenth of our water. It won't last through the day at this pace."

Mane Crusher spoke, "I suspect any attack will come after that, if the changelings are well informed."

"Maybe," Sparklefly considered this.

The much larger numbers of the enemy force made any attack at their discretion. Ultimately, the only reason they were all still alive was due to their ability to outmaneuver the enemy.

Mane Crusher said, "I think we should not wait for the rest of our divisions before we make for our next objective."

He was, of course, referring to the heights near Apple Loosa.

"I'd rather have my force as whole as possible before we commit," General Brax replied, a hint of disdain in his voice. He had no love for Mane Crusher.

"It would save us resources," Sparklefly said, but she was more thinking out-loud than trying to make a point.

All of the other soldiers that were coming to meet them would have to fly much farther to rendezvous here. Not only that, but they'd then have to fly back north over the ridges to get back. Still, if everything went to plan, they would have resupply arriving within hours of making the heights. Also, continuing south would draw the timberwolves away and buy more time to get set up and prepare for the fight.

"But in this case, I think we should continue as planned."

"You realize there is no backup," Mane Crusher said. "If the supplies don't come on schedule, we could find ourselves in poor shape, no matter how good the ground is."

"You talk like you have some stake in our victory," General Brax jabbed.

Casting a glance at him, Mane Crusher retorted, "That I do. I find it rather unlikely that I'll suffer a different fate from yours if we get slaughtered.”

Sparklefly couldn't help but smile at that, a valid point to be sure. A sustained light breeze began kicking up dust. Everypony began putting on their goggles, which saved the eyes, but it didn't help much for the lungs. Sparklefly had a small handkerchief that she tied over her nose and mouth to keep the worst of it out. They trudged into the strengthening wind until visibility became so poor that the sun couldn’t be seen.

"This is no good," Mane Crusher shouted.

"On that we agree," General Brax admitted. "I'm going to issue the order to shelter in place."

"Yes," Sparklefly agreed to the decision.

Enduring a sandstorm, even a light one was bad enough, but they couldn't have anypony getting separated. Within a few minutes, the entire corps had come to a halt and made what preparations they could to warn of incoming attack. This seemed an unlikely possibility, but a few seconds warning would be far preferable to none. Sparklefly lay on the ground and burrowed inside her sleeping roll. The brightness of daylight had become a brown dim glow through the cloth. Dust was still getting in, but it wasn't stinging as badly.

Others lay next to her, and the entire corps sheltered in the same stiflingly hot manner. Hopefully Scootaloo had seen the storm coming and found a safe place to land. Time passed without a way to measure it; maybe it was an hour with no change in the situation. Unable to sleep under such conditions, Sparklefly decided to use the time and write a letter home. It may not get her mind off of how hot or filthy she was for long, but it would give her something to do to pass the time.

'Mamma Mare,' she began writing. 'I hope this finds you well. I'm very glad to hear that farm life still agrees with you. I'm sorry I still haven't been able to visit, but they keep me so very busy here. Your letters are always a source of inspiration and joy to myself and my friends. It reminds us why we are here, and what we're working to protect. I don't know what to tell you about Glitterdust. I'm saddened that she's getting into trouble, but I have doubts that she'll listen to me. I have begun writing her a letter, as you asked, but it's difficult to find the right words to say. I’ll keep at it.

‘You should see some of the places to which we've traveled. This morning, I saw one of the most beautiful sunrises over the mountains that I've seen in my life. The weather is a little on the warm side, but generally rather pleasant.'

She felt herself frown at the frequent lies she wrote to keep her mother from worrying any more than she already did. Her mother would not approve, of course, and more than one of her lessons rattled around in Sparklefly's mind every time she did it. The truth was that it had become much easier since the caverns under Canterlot. She shuddered at the memory, forcing it from her mind.

She continued, 'The days are fulfilling, but I very much look forward to the quiet life on the farm again. I'm sure you've already heard this from others, and I'm sorry I didn't tell you before, but I have a special some-pony. One of the medics here has been pursuing me with great interest. Don't worry, I'm behaving myself. He's nice enough, and he plans to become a doctor someday, but I don't know how serious things are with us.'

She considered the very real possibility that they might not actually be "us" anymore. The feelings brought on by this thought, while conflicted, made the decision much easier: she was going to apologize for what she'd said to him. Being seen by others and rumors starting was a risk she would have to take. She didn’t want it to end with the last words she had said to him.

'I haven't been in any battles since I last wrote to you, but I will tell you when we have another one.'

In actuality, she'd been in thirteen separate skirmishes since they had begun the campaign. The sound of the wind began dying down.

‘I have to go now, but I will write again soon. Missing you, Sparklefly.'

PreviousChapters Next