• Published 29th Jan 2016
  • 1,730 Views, 1,533 Comments

The Last Cutie Mark Crusader - Jatheus



Equestria is at war. The land is plagued by an unending horde of timberwolves that pour out of the Everfree Forest. Cities have fallen, and it seems everypony is powerless to end the slaughter. Scootaloo was one of the first to enlist...

  • ...
14
 1,533
 1,730

PreviousChapters Next
35 - Games, Part 8 of 11

Beigh dropped to the earth and lay there as volley fire shot over his head. The barrage that was exchanged between the unicorns and changelings sizzled and burned all around. The decision to fall back into the badlands had indeed been correct. They made it out ahead of the ambush, but now they were holding the pass with little air support. No news had yet come back from the strike force.

"Cease fire!" Clyde yelled, echoing the orders that were coming down the line.

Sergeant Locknload kicked Beigh, "Get up! You do have a crossbow don't you?"

As he stood, Locknload got right next to his face, "Well?"

"Yes, sir."

"You are a unicorn?" Locknload practically shouted.

"Yes, sir," Beigh was afraid and didn't know what to say.

"By Celestia, why don't you fire at the enemy when they attack?" Locknload pushed Beigh, who slipped in the dusty canyon floor and fell. A cloud of red dirt billowed about him.

"That's enough, Sergeant," Clyde said calmly.

"Sir!" Locknload replied.

There were not many injured from the attack, and by the time Beigh made his way to the mobile aid station to which he normally reported, they were already finished. The talk amongst the other soldiers was grim. The canyon they had backed into only offered temporary safety. If the timberwolves ever came over the ridge in any massive numbers, they'd be done for. There was nothing Beigh could do but return to his position and wait. He hoped that their strike team would get back before the timberwolves attacked again. Clyde had all of his sergeants together and was talking to them when Beigh arrived.

"You are correct, Sergeant," Clyde said to Locknload. "It's only a matter of time before they build up enough numbers to come over that ridge and crush us, but we can only work with what we have. Desert behind, and not nearly enough water to cross it. Add to that problem, there is neither a source of water nor a defensible position for miles around. This is where we have to stay until our air support returns. If they were successful, we'll be moving out soon." He looked up at the sky and smiled, "In fact, we may be moving out sooner than you think."

Beigh looked up to see the strike force flying overhead. There were so many that he couldn't tell whether their number had been reduced by even one. They circled and descended, coming to a landing at the rear of their new position. Sounds of cheering were heard sporadically throughout the corps.

"Let's be ready to move out!" Clyde ordered.

Beigh ran back to the mobile aid station and helped them break down all of the tents. He loaded up with the pieces he was assigned to carry: two cots, some bottles of antiseptic, and one of the large tent poles. By the time he was all packed, Duster found him.

"What are you carrying, the entire war?" Duster teased.

"That still isn't funny.”

Duster had used this joke several times already, and Beigh hadn’t found it amusing the first time.

"Yeah, well, if I didn't have to carry you, it might be."

Duster looked tired. His eyes and posture in general betrayed a weariness from everything they'd done for the past few days. Beigh felt it to, but not nearly to the same extent. The pegasi did everything that the grounded ponies did, and then more still. They had proven to be the backbone of the operation. Every movement, and every strike involved the pegasi for their unmatched speed. The entire corps was ready to move in less than a half hour, but they waited for the order to come through. Duster laid down on the sandy ground and shut his eyes.

"You're sleeping now?" Beigh asked.

"The ground is hot," Duster replied. "I doubt I'll actually sleep. Keep watch for me, will you?"

Beigh snorted, "It's not like I can fly off without you."

Duster grinned, but didn't open his eyes. The remainder of their squad huddled close now that they were all together. Locknload looked down at Duster and shook his head.

"Any other of you pegasi need a rest?"

Without responding, both LD and Rolling Thunder laid down beside Duster. Beigh noticed that they were one pegasus short. Their new commander, Sergeant Featherplume, was absent. Scanning about, he saw her and several of the other sergeants in a huddle with Lieutenant Clyde. Beigh felt a growing tension that nopony else seemed to notice, but the minutes began stretching into hours without incident.

Every soldier in the area was resting, but for a few that remained vigilant, specifically the CAP. The sun beat down mercilessly, making everypony wish that they hadn't taken down the tents; there was no shade in this place. Beigh drank a little water, and then decided to walk about. There was no restriction on movement, provided he informed his squad and returned to position if enemies were sighted.

His official reason was to keep an eye out for any wounded that might need assistance, but he was really hoping to find Sparklefly. They usually set up the command post somewhere near the center, and that's probably where she'd be. The heat was stifling, and Beigh quickly found himself sweating just from his slow walk. It seemed that nearly everypony else, the pegasi specifically, had followed his squad's example and were now laying on the sand, trying to keep the sun out of their eyes. The air was still and dry. Another drink from his water skin took the edge off of the discomfort. Then he spotted her.

Sparklefly sat alone near the edge of the makeshift command center eating a ration. The other officers were milling about, ever vigilant, but they seemed to be waiting for something. Making his course close enough to pass by, but far enough to look somewhat inconspicuous was challenging. She looked weary, but somehow pleased with herself. She was seated in a rather compact manner, taking up little space and also sweating under the heat of the sunlight that blasted down on everypony. She noticed him as he drew close, but a slight nod was all the recognition she gave at first.

"Hi," Beigh said.

Looking up at him, Sparklefly answered, "Private."

”All is well," he said, trying not to seem too friendly.

His heart pounded like a drum. Beigh hadn’t spoken to her since that day in Ponyville. As nice as the letter-writing had been, it hadn’t been quite so satisfying as this moment.

“We’ve had some contact with the enemy since your strike force left, but our casualties were light. Your brother told me that the raid was successful."

"Yes," she replied almost stoically. "Timberwolves are moving this way." Looking past him and into the sky, she continued, "I'm sure we'll be moving out soon."

“I have to say, it sounds pretty heroic what you guys did, almost like a fairy tail."

Her expression became a little cold, "No. We're just trying to stay alive. There's nothing glorious about it."

"Maybe," he answered a little more carefully, aware something wasn’t right with her, "but those kind of stories start somewhere. I'm sure someone could write ours to be at least half-way interesting."

She looked at him directly now, her cold expression becoming completely icy, "I stopped believing in fairy tales the day Apple Loosa was attacked, and my dad went to join the soldiers defending the town. Shouldn’t you be with your squad?“

He felt sorrow for her and instinctively drew closer in an effort to give comfort.

She stood and backed away sharply, "You forget your place, private. Return to your platoon; don't come find me again."

It was as if a dagger had stabbed him through the heart. He recoiled a step back.

"One more thing," she continued flatly, "Don't send me any more letters. We're done.”

Without giving him a chance to respond, she turned and marched back to the others in the command post. Beigh felt himself shaking, and was certain that his core was melting. It was all he could do to hold everything together as he turned to walk back to his squad. He felt like something internal that kept things together had just been utterly crushed. There was nowhere to be alone, and that is all he wanted.

Returning to the squad, he threw himself on the ground alongside the others, pretending to rest as they were. Looking up into the sky didn't provide any answers or relief. Why would she act that way? The cloudless sky soon became filled with EUP soldiers. They were coming from the north in waves numbering in the thousands.

"At attention," Sergeant Featherplume said.

Beigh got up out of habit and stood at attention with his squad.

"I have been informed that we'll be moving out soon," she said. "It looks like the rest of the Assault Corps has returned. Are you ready to take the fight to the timberwolves?"

Excitement began buzzing throughout the camp. Of all of the divisions that had splintered and left, none were absent. All missions had been successful in herding the timberwolves back down to the badlands. For the first time that Beigh could remember, all of the rumors being told were about wholesale slaughter of the changeling forces. In spite of this cause for joy, he could only feel sadness.

PreviousChapters Next