• Published 29th Jan 2016
  • 1,734 Views, 1,533 Comments

The Last Cutie Mark Crusader - Jatheus



Equestria is at war. The land is plagued by an unending horde of timberwolves that pour out of the Everfree Forest. Cities have fallen, and it seems everypony is powerless to end the slaughter. Scootaloo was one of the first to enlist...

  • ...
14
 1,533
 1,734

PreviousChapters Next
35 - Games, Part 7 of 11

Pixyglitter asked, “Are you okay?”

It sounded like he kicked the ground, "Pig-headed... Element of Loyalty my hoof! Stupid!" He took a breath and then spoke a little more calmly, "Yes, thanks. I guess we're not going to get any help from her." He was seething.

"It's alright," she tried to be positive. “She’s just lost hope. We don't need her help."

He snorted, "That's the problem. She's one of the keys."

Pixyglitter felt a dumbfounded expression crawl across her own face.

"The dreams were symbols, metaphors," Cloud Blazer began. "Princess Luna can enter dreams, but whatever magic has kept them all alive has dampened her abilities. She's still able to reach out, but not clearly."

"You lost me; how is she a key?"

"It's a kind of magic. Specifically, Princess Twilight Sparkle has a special bond with five friends: Rainbow Dash, Applejack, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, and Rarity. I think the princesses encased themselves in a protective shield of some kind, and they used that bond as a way to open it. That way they would be protected from the explosion, and whatever followed until it was safe."

Pixyglitter began thinking out-loud of these familiar names, "Applejack, Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, and Commander Rainbow Dash. Who was the other one?"

He answered with a sigh, "That would be Rarity. She doesn't live here anymore, and we're going to have to go get her."

"Wait a second," Pixyglitter said as a thought hit her, "Why would they seal themselves up that way when Rarity lives so far away? Why would they not just tell Rainbow Dash and Shining Armor how to get them back out?"

She could feel Cloud Blazer shrug before he replied, "Maybe it wasn't planned. Maybe something went wrong, and that’s why they sealed themselves up.“

This answer wasn't exactly satisfying, but Pixyglitter couldn't think of any other explanation. The dreams had definitely happened, and she hadn't forgotten the inability to sleep because of them.

"So, what are we waiting for?" the mare answered. "Let's go get Rarity."

"You're still in?" he sounded surprised.

"I had the dreams too. Besides, how often does a pony get to say this and actually mean it? Let's go rescue some princesses!" she said as cheerfully as possible. “Also, it's time we put all of this flight training to use."

He snorted a laugh, "Follow me, we're going to need one more pegasus."

She complied, and soon they were traversing unfamiliar terrain. As they walked, the sounds of several different kinds of animals began to fill the air. There were so many different kinds that Pixyglitter had trouble sorting out the different sounds she heard. A little further and their unmistakeable scent followed.

“Does Ponyville have a zoo?” she asked.

“No. It’s a friend’s house. She had taken in quite a lot of animals before the siege. What’s here now isn’t even half of that.”

They passed through the amalgam of creatures before coming to a stop. Cloud Blazer knocked on the door. A few moments later, a thin, timid voice could be heard.

"Hello?" Fluttershy said.

"It's Cloud Blazer and Pixyglitter," Cloud Blazer said.

The door creaked a little as it opened.

"Good afternoon," Fluttershy said sweetly. "Won't you come in?"

"Thanks," he replied. "You two have met, haven't you?"

"Yes," Pixyglitter snorted. "You introduced us at Sweet Apple Acres; twice."

"Oh, that's right," he said with a little embarrassment in his voice.

Feeling her way through the threshold with her cane, Pixyglitter made it inside without incident.

"Won't you sit down?" Fluttershy asked. "I would offer you some tea, but I'm afraid I've run out."

"That's alright," Cloud Blazer replied. "We're actually not here to be social."

"You're not?" her voice quivered.

"Nothing to worry about," Pixyglitter interjected. "We just need your help with something."

"Okay," Fluttershy said, still sounding somewhere between concerned and frightened.

"I haven't had much luck with this strategy today, but I have no idea how else to put this, so I'm going to just come out with it," Cloud Blazer began. "Princess Luna has been contacting Pixyglitter and me in our dreams. The princesses and Discord are alive, but they need our help to return."

Silence was the only answer that came. A ferret chittered somewhere in the house.

"I've already been over this with Rainbow Dash, and she didn't believe me," he continued. "There was a magical orb found in the crater after that explosion in the Everfree Forest. Nopony knew what it was, and it was put in the castle basement and forgotten. They assumed is was a leftover of the mirror pond, kind of a magical soup. I found it this morning, and when I did, all of the dreams started to make sense. They always had two things in common: I had to find the keys, five of them, and I had to take them to the castle. I think you and your friends are the keys."

"Gosh," Fluttershy finally said hopefully, "Do you really think Twilight and Discord and the others are okay?"

"Yes, absolutely," Cloud Blazer declared. "We have a little bit of luck on our side that four of you are already here, but we need Rarity."

Pixyglitter added, "If I have followed today at all, that's where you come in."

"Me?" Fluttershy's voice trembled.

"Yes. The thing is,” Cloud Blazer said slowly, “nopony else believes us so far, and more to the point, we can't risk telling too many in case changeling spies find out what we're up to. The princesses coming back at this point would be a game-changer that they can’t allow. While they may not be exactly vulnerable, the last thing we need is for the changelings to be looking for any of the five of you. The thing is, Pixyglitter and I can fly, but we can't carry Rarity."

"I... I... I d-don't... Won't it be d-dangerous?"

"We'll be with you every step of the way," Cloud Blazer said.

Pixyglitter was becoming annoyed, but spoke as calmingly as she could manage, "Hey, it's okay. Ever since the EUP retook Canterlot, flying to Manehattan is a lot safer."

"But I'm no soldier," Fluttershy said. "I'm not even strong enough to carry Rarity all the way back here. I can’t manage more than a bunny or two.“

Silence again filled the room, but for the sound of a bird chirping.

Cloud Blazer took a breath, "You are the only one that can do this. Most able-bodied pegasi are already enlisted, but more to the point; you're the only one here I know I can trust." He paused a moment before continuing, "We can help you you to get your strength up. I'm going to need some time to get you a working harness anyway."

Pixyglitter tried a different approach, "I never met Princess Twilight, but I'm willing to do this to help her, even with the risk. You're her friend."

She hoped she hadn't misstepped or made things sound too dangerous, but she wasn't really sure how to talk to somepony that was so delicate.

"You're right, Pixyglitter," Fluttershy said. There was a kind of power behind her sweet, frail voice. "Twilight is my friend, they all are, and I'll do anything to help them. I will need to find somepony to tend my animals."

"Great," Cloud Blazer said, relief in his voice. "Meet us at Sweet Apple Acres when you're done. If anypony asks, we can tell them we’re going to visit Rarity. It’s true enough, and it shouldn’t raise too many questions.”

"I will," Fluttershy promised.

Pixyglitter stood, hearing the others doing the same. They left the house and walked back through the makeshift zoo, across the bridge that covered the stream that ran by Fluttershy's cottage and toward the middle of town.

"Now the hard part," Cloud Blazer said.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, Fluttershy isn't exactly known for courage or strength," Cloud Blazer answered. "Even if we make it all the way to Manehattan, getting back here with Rarity is going to be difficult."

Pixyglitter had been feeling good about this turn of events, but now she was starting to feel something akin to contempt. How could anypony stand to be so weak?

PreviousChapters Next