• Published 31st Jan 2016
  • 3,606 Views, 1,780 Comments

Lifegiver - Meep the Changeling



Azur Lily, a young biomancy prodigy from Germaney, seeks to start a new life in Equestria.

  • ...
8
 1,780
 3,606

6 Reward

Lily - 1st of Midsummer ‘15 EoH - Late Morning

I awoke on the bunk in Scoot’s utility room in a daze. It took me a full five minutes to start having coherent thoughts. Every cell in my body felt hungover. I knew what the buck this feeling was. This was Mana Burn.

The last time I’d been hit with Mana Burn, I’d repeatedly drained myself dry more times that I could remember. Why? Because I had to spend around nineteen hours doing nothing but dishing out a good dose of not-die to a battlefield’s worth of wounded soldiers. And then woke up like this.

What the flying flippity buck did I do however long ago I was last conscious?

I felt my chest and barrel constrict as I realized the last thing I remembered doing was starting to work on Scoots wings. Faust’s blood! I couldn’t remember anything after starting the work. What if I passed out mid operation?

I turned to jump out of bed and seek anypony to fill me in on what the hay happened, however many days ago, and noticed a letter stuck to the side of the bed. A parchment envelope secured with a lavender wax seal and fuchsia ribbon.

It had my name on it, my full name as well as the title I had earned, written in rather elegant script. Azur Lily von Maresburg, III, the Lifegiver.

Figuring that nopony gives a letter that nice to a murderer, I calmed down slightly. Enough to take the envelope in hoof, break the seal and fish out a letter. Or rather one of two letters. Seeing that one of the folded bits of parchment was labeled ‘read second’, I took the other and opened it.

To my surprise, a small silver key fell from the paper. Picking the key up in my magic, I quickly read the letter.

To Azur Lily von Maresburg, III - Lifegiver,
and
To Whom it May Concern

In light of your recent public service, namely, the healing of Scootaloo Apple-Dash, and in light of your desire to establish a medical practice within the township of Ponyville, I, Princess Twilight Sparkle, hereby award you, Azur Lily von Maresburg, III, ownership of commercial lot 312, hereafter referred to as “96 Greenlight Road”.

Awarded assets include the grounds, building, facilities located on the grounds, and any and all items located within the building as of the time of your first entry.

This letter also bestows the right to modify “96 Greenlight Road” as required for your use provided the exterior of the building is not modified in any way without the proper permits and permission from the town planning committee. Excepted from these stipulations are erecting a sign of no more than 3 meters in height, installing a hanging sign board, and landscaping.

As the property is awarded for the purpose of being made into a clinic, this letter also exempts the owner from paying taxes on the property, as per the Public Medical Services Act.

Signed,

Princess Twilight Sparkle

I read the letter twice, sighing in relief the first time upon realizing I must not have accidently hurt a very nice pony, then wondering in confusion what the second letter might be. This nifty letter got me out of having to take the property owner’s exam, perhaps the second letter was a brief list of what not to do?

No that made no sense, the first letter explained what I could and couldn’t do with the property. Maybe Twilight put detail about the place in the second letter since the first was an official thing?

Eager to find out, I opened the second letter.

Lily,

You prefer to go by your second name, correct? If not please let me know at a future date. I hope you are doing well, I had Scootaloo force-feed you a healing potion so with luck you are awake sometime tomorrow morning and not next week.

You will be glad to know that Scootaloo is doing fine. More than fine in fact, she seems to be able to give Dash a run for her money over long distance! That is to say Scoots is about a third as fast in the air, but has more endurance than anypony I am aware of. If we were to organize a pegathon, Scoots may be able to win if the distance is sufficient to tire Dash out.

You did a great job. I spent the better part of a decade looking for potential methods to cure her myself, only to be met with failure. I’m a little upset that Celestia allowed your particular art to be illegal for so long, but I do understand her fears about it. Furthermore, if history is any indication, we would have actually had problems with monster-makers until about a hundred and twenty years ago.

But that’s in the past! One day, after my schedule clears up, I insist you show me some of your School’s workings. Especially since as far as I can tell, you’ve managed to give Scootaloo the flight which is her birthright, but also an earth pony’s endurance. Of course such hybrids do exist naturally, but it is interesting to see they can be produced as well. There are many applications to such hybridization which could serve the public good.

Don’t worry about being forced to work on various projects though. You are free to work as you please, unless given a royal order, but that’s just a thing all business owners in Equestria face.

Speaking of business owners, the other letter in this envelope awards you a property. I managed to find an older hotel which was abandoned, but in good condition. It has twelve rooms in addition to a lobby, a kitchen, a dining hall, and a large room which I assume was intended for meetings. It should be a simple matter to convert the place into a serviceable clinic.

While technically not legal, as this is a commercially zoned building, there is also a penthouse on top of the hotel which you could use as your residence. Just list it as a ‘dormitory’. Also eat this letter so nopony knows I told you about that legal loophole.

There is a small catch to the property which would be wrong to not tell you. No, it’s not haunted. Yes I know everypony assumes it’s haunted when you say that, but it really isn’t.

The property is at the very end of Greenlight Road, which has a small lane attached to it at a ninety degree turn. Said lane is Redlight Loop, which as the name implies, is in fact Ponyville’s Redlight district. That’s why the property remained available for so long. It’s a Love Hotel built before I established a zone for that kind of thing. The original owner moved their business into the ‘district’ for reasons of laxer laws regarding services provided.

(Apparently the hotel staff couldn’t have socks as part of their uniforms without being in the district. Yes that’s the entire reason. No I don’t get it either. Socks aren’t fetish clothing, are they? The lawyers seem to think so.)

Though since you’re renovating it anyways (As you will want to have it up to code for a clinic) I don’t think that it’s present condition is a problem. I hope you can agree to that. Also don’t worry about the neighborhood being scuzzy! Establishing a fenced district for that sort of thing made Greenlight Road a very nice part of town.

Additionally, as the property is in such proximity to an adult entertainment area, I recommend having established business hours which end before ten pm. This is when nightclubs open. It’s not a legal thing, but I have friends on Greenlight who find themselves quite irritated with tourists who mistake Greenlight for more of the ‘district’ and assume that their businesses are clubs.

Ponies can be pretty dumb sometimes. Especially since Redlight Loop is a gated area…

Oh, I should probably mention that the exterior of the building is very unassuming and discreet! I’m sure you have seen some shops in Ponyville, this is nothing like them. It’s a very unassuming ‘C’ shaped building with a small courtyard. I’m certain you will enjoy it.

If you have problems gathering funds for renovation, please come see me. I’ll work out a business arrangement for you. Though by the time you begin the actual work, Celestia will have worked out how she wants to reward you and I doubt you’ll have a problem getting together those sorts of funds!

I do have one request though. Scootaloo was able to absorb three quarters of my mana (Incase you don’t remember, I supplied additional energy to finish your spell). I would like you to find out how and why. Not for any important reason, just simple curiosity. She’s also reported having a headache, and my magic couldn’t fix it. I assume this a side effect. If you can please do something about it. Scootaloo was worried it’s something major.

Your Friend,

Twilight

P.S.

I just remembered! You now own a home in Ponyville. You will want to visit it as soon as possible. Don’t carry anything heavy or fragile on your first trip. It’s always nice to just enjoy a new property and envision how to arrange it!

Okay. First thought: Twilight The Rambler! Feared by postmares and pen pals alike!

Second thought: Why the hay would she assume I would assume it was abandoned because ghosts? Of all the monsters that exist, ghosts are not one of them. Faust’s mane girl! I’m a mage, not a cryptozoologist!

Third thought: If fixing up pegasi wings impresses Equestrians enough to give me a clinic, how would Twilight react to my former classmate who attached the body of a giant anaconda to his marefriend because she wanted to be a lamia?

Fourth thought: Assuming their Love Hotels were the same thing as a ‘Liebhaber Zimmer’, I have no idea why I was even warned about that. Oh no! It’s a building designed to rent rooms to couples for a few hours instead of all night! Do Equestrians assume couples don’t have sex in normal hotels? Because that’s what couples do in hotels.

Fifth thoug-

The sound of something knocking on the wall next to the curtain derailed my train of thought.

“H-hello?” Brook called. “I can sense you moving. Are you awake enough to talk?”

I blinked a few times, curiously trying to work out why you would say ‘sense’ instead of ‘hear’. I mean, she had to have heard me making the bed creak and rustle as I moved, right?

“Ja, I’m awake.” I answered.

Brook poked her head through the curtain, a bit of mane falling across her eyes. “Can I ask you something?”

I nodded. “Ja, but may I ask something first?”

Her word choice was just bugging me too much.

Brook nodded.

“Why did you say sense me? You meant heard me, ja?” I asked with a confused ear droop.

Brook smiled for a moment. “No, we can sense electric fields.”

I raised an eyebrow incredulously, sure sharks could sense the bioelectric field of any given creature, but that shouldn’t be possible outside of water. “Even in the air? Oh! Is that seapony magic?”

Brook nodded giving me another happy smile. “Mhm! I can also zap things… It’s not as good out of the water though.”

“Alright,” I said as I slipped out of the bed, dropping to the floor to not be rude by making her look up for the whole conversation. “What do you need? Oh! Uh, what day is it?”

“It’s almost noon. T-tomorrow.” Brook answered. “So, Scoots and I were talking. A-and she’s being a scaredy minnow.”

“Why?” I asked with a slight frown. Then my eye widened to the size of dinner plates. “Wait! You are saying she’s being affraid-”

Brook nodded. I felt a nagging concern at the back of my mind that things were about to get awkward.

“Scoots want’s to thank you. For wing fixes.” Brook said simply. “She asked for ideas, I said she should take you to dinner. She thought I meant on a date and not just ‘give food’. And-”

I facehooved. “She want’s to take me out now, and you can’t get the idea out of her head?”

Brook nodded.

I sighed. A week ago, I would have instantly said no. Yes, I’d help a stranger for the sake of being kind, but a date? No!

But it was different now. I’d spent an entire week with her. She was very nice, also pretty, and I couldn’t think of a single other pony who dealt with their pain the same way I did, with a good laugh at it. I liked her a little bit. We were definitely friends, hay, maybe we could be more…

Why the buck not? I could do a date. Right?

Except… She was cute… And nice… And uh… Humm…

I tapped my hooves together nervously. Well, maybe there was a hangup of hers I could exploit, Brook said there was a problem right? I mean, Scoots was nice, but I would just royaly buck up a date! I’d never gone on one, and there was an entire protocol right? I’d rather have her as a friend then just an ex-customer.

“Uh… So, um, what’s the problem, exactly?” I asked fear-hopefully.

“S-she’s too nervous to ask if you like mares… Because, y-you know. She think’s you're a mare.” Brook said, rolling her eyes. “And I can’t prove your not.”

“W-well just because I’m a colt doesn't mean I like mares.” I pointed out.

Brook giggled. “Oh yeah! I forget land ponies do that! Hehe!”

That was the giggle and expression of a mare who found gay couples adorable. Which was in and of itself adorable.

Wait a moment…

“Hold on, none of your kind’s males like other males?” I asked in confusion.

“Um… Well… I don’t know.” Brook replied with a frown. “They don’t let the genders mix except for spawning season… But um, yeah… Scoots is too nervous to ask if you like mares. So I’m asking. Because it’s pathetic.”

Oh Faust… If Brook thought Scoots was being pathetic over it…

“W-well ja. I do.” I answered. “I like both.”

Brook nodded. “Okay. Thank you.”

She quickly trotted out of the room and called. “He says he likes mares. You’re fine!” In the tone of a mare who had been trying to settle an argument for way too long.

“Brook! No!” Scoots exclaimed from her room. “You did not just ask her that!”

“I did. You can ask him out without fear of offending him so much that you ruin your chance at friendship.” Brook returned irritably. “I am done sociling for today. Goodbye.”

I facehooved a second time. So this was what it was like to live with friends… Not bad, but at the same time, sort of stressfull. Thank Faust I had my own place now.

A heartbeat later Scootaloo stuck her head around the curtain with an apologetic frown. “I’m so sorry! She’s normally very polite, I don’t know why she won't call you by your chosen gender!”

“It’s fine…” I said, sighing as once again my extremely girly looks had created drama for somepony else.

“No it’s not!” Scoots disagreed firmly. “It’s rude to call people by the wrong gender. Just because you happened to have a bit of an error while developing doesn't mean-”

I closed my eyes tightly, deciding to for once stand up for myself on the matter of my gender. “Scootaloo… I made you fly. If I wanted to be a mare, don’t you think I would be one?”

She took a step to the side and tilted her head. “But… You are. I mean, you look, smell, sound, and act like a mare! Also I’ve walked behind you, you don’t have balls and you even have the piercings- Oh!”

Scoots face erupted into a slight blush. “You’re a gelding! I’m sorry, that’s actually really popular with gay stallions. Especially the-”

My ears practically strained themselves as they stood up in alarm. “Wah? Warum der Bock- I… Why is that popular? How?”

Scootaloo blushed a bit more. “Well, you know, no testosterone makes a stallion stay small and mareish. Besides if you ever want them again you can apparently rub a healing potion into the skin there.”

“W-h… How do you even know that?” I asked incredulously.

Scoots shrugged, “I have a lot of gay friends from high school. It’s just a thing they do… A lot of the bottoms want to stay cute, and well, that’s an easy way to do that and also to let other stallions know your orientation. Also my friend Summer Blaze insists that some strait stallions will go for geldings too.

“I guess it would seem weird to a foreigner, but it’s just a thing here. Has been for generations apparently. There’s even a female equivalent ‘signal’, you wrap the base of your tail with a ribbon.”

I felt my face scrunch into a completely baffled expression.

“I um… I’m guessing you didn’t get gelded intentionally?” Scoots asked awkwardly.

“N-nein!” I replied with a wince.

Grandma was right! Foreign customs are really weird!

Scoots eeped, instantly pulling me into a hug. “I just remembered you said you had cruel parents! I’m so sorry!”

I think my groan could have been heard from space…

“Nein! I still have them.” I explained with an irritable sigh. “I got drunk with a friend, und got the piercings… I don’t remember any of it. The piercings tuck everything in. Und since I look exactly like a mare in every other way apparently, nopony believes I’m a colt.”

“Oh…” Scootaloo let go of me slowly, then stepped back to a reasonable speaking distance. “So um… If you got them drunk, and don’t want to be treated like a mare-”

“Oh, why don’t I take them out?” I asked.

She nodded.

“W-well… You need to leave piercings in for a few months. Or you can get a bad infection. Just because I could heal them, doesn't mean I don’t mind getting infections.” I explained.

Also, there was just one small other matter… “Und besides… I um… I like them.”

Scoots blushed and grinned a little bit. “You do? Realy?”

I nodded slowly. “Ja. I’ve gotten used to them, und well… I think they make me look pretty. I like pretty things…”

I kicked the floor gently with a hoof, trying to hide my embarrassed blush.

“So, if I’m understanding this right,” Scoots began, “you’re a colt, but you like pretty things, so you made yourself look like a mare?”

I shook my head. “N-nein… I look like this naturally. I um… I crossdress though… Because dresses are pretty und vests are not. Und I do mind being called a mare! But since nopony ever think’s I’m a colt I just… Gave up.”

I got pulled into another hug. This one was not as urgently tight, rather it was warm and a bit reassuring.

“You don’t need to be embarrassed about that.” Scootaloo said with a smile. “I know plenty of colts who enjoy dresses.”

“W-well… Wait… Y-you do?” I asked, one ear perking, one ear drooping in confusion.

She nodded. “Yeah. Most live in Manehattan, though. I went to school there after elementary.”

“B-but…” I started, shuffling my hooves against the floor. “But… ponies call them the right gender… Right?”

Scootaloo raised an eyebrow at me. “Uh, Lily, isn’t the entire point of crossdressing to not look like your normal sex?”

I nodded.

“Okay, and from how embarrassed you are right now, I’m guessing you prefer to do it all the time?” She asked.

I nodded again. “J-ja.”

“Then why do you care if ponies think you’re male or not?” She demanded in an odd teacher’s sort of tone.

Huh… Actually that was a good question. Why was it so important to me?

I thought for a moment, and all I could honestly answer was. “Because I’m a colt… Und I just want to be one und also look pretty. But all the pretty stuff is for mares.”

Scootaloo nodded sitting down as she asked. “Right. But there are consequences to that. You want to be happy, so you do something you like, but that means ponies will be confused. You have to know that.”

Again, I couldn’t dispute that, I could only nod. “Well… Ja.”

“Can I give you some advice?” Scootaloo asked in a honestly therapeutic tone.

I nodded in reply.

"I worked this out by being bullied for not being able to fly.” Scoots began. “My entire fillyhood was filled with absolutely nothing more than people constantly picking on me for being flightless. I spent a very long time being a depressed mess because they made me think I was a freak. Then, one day I realized the truth.

“The problem isn't them, it isn't you, it’s not even them, it's the fact that you care what they think of you. You need to learn to stop giving a buck about other ponies opinions and just enjoy being you."

I knew in my mind that such a simple speech shouldn’t have had much of an effect on me. Of course I shouldn’t care so much. Duh!

But at the same time, my heart latched onto her words. It was the solution. After all, what did my gender really matter except to somepony I was dating? Nothing, that’s what.

Somehow Scootaloo actually made that simple statement of the obvious stick with me. Not in a mind controlled fashion. I was pretty darn sure I’d notice being hypnotized or controlled thanks to a certain incident in Capsan.

No, this was more like somepony I cared about greatly dispensed sage and life changing advice.

“H-How the buck did you give your words such… Weight?” I asked in awe.

Scootaloo gave me a happy smile. “Special talent! Sweetie, Bloom, and I can help others find their talents or otherwise sort their lives out. … I don’t have the best actual words, that would be Sweetie, but still...”

“Sooo you have a therapist's cutiemark?” I mused.

She shrugged. “Sort of. I guess. Anyways, you seriously just need to let go of the stress. Who cares if the clerk at the bookstore think’s you're a mare? You obviously enjoy looking nice more than being correctly identified. Just be happy!”

Again, her words felt like they had been said by somepony I deeply cared about dispensing sage advice.

“You have a very useful talent.” I said with as much heartfelt honesty as I could.

She was goddamn right! Who gave a flying buck? I shouldn’t care! What did it matter as long as my friends knew who I was? Why did it take somepony with an adviser cutiemark to get me to realize this?

Scootaloo smiled happily as she saw my face relax. The stress was melting away. I didn’t seem so awkward to explain to her my gender anymore. Then suddenly she blushed deeply.

“So uh…” Scoots stumbled. “Now that I know you’re a cute girly-colt, w-would you like to go out sometime?”

Ponyfeathers.

I couldn’t say no. Not now! Not after seeing she cared enough about me to try to help me over one of my biggest social problems!

“Um… Okay.” I answered.

Scootaloo’s cheeks began to stretch into a grin. I quickly held up a hoof and shouted. “Wait!”

The way that her ears drooped and face feel at my gesture actually hurt.

“I… I don’t exactly know… This will be my first date.” I explained. “Und um, if you want a stallion who will be… Stalliony, I um-”

Scootaloo giggled and gently reached out to boop my nose. “You gave me a mini-heart attack! Don’t do that. I like mareish colts! They’re cute!”

“Oh!” I exclaimed, clearing my throat. “Well, uh, alright. We should go out sometime then.”

“How about today?” Scoots asked eagerly, “We could get lunch and talk! I don’t think I know too much about you, we mostly talked about my wings and me.”

“Well, I need to check out the property Twilight gave me today.” I said, trying to shy away from a date today so I could have time to process everything that had happened.

Scoots nodded, “Okay! Where is it? We could do a walk and then get lunch afterwards. You’ll want somepony to help you shop for furniture and things anyways, right?”

Ponyfeathers! Trapped!

Wait a bloody minute… Why the buck was I sad that I had a nice mare wanting to go on a date with me!? My biggest dream was to have a loving family! This was step one for that!

What the flying buck brain!?

Don’t you dare buck this up for me!

“Ja! That sounds lovely!” I answered giving Scoots a smile.

She let out half a squee, only to choke it back and try to look cool half way through, “I mean, great! I’ll show you an awesome time today.”

I turned away, levitating the silver key into my saddlebags to hide my stifled grin at her outburst. Dropping the bags into place on my back I turned around, and realizing I knew nothing about Ponyville’s streets, realized that not only did I want to go out with Scoots, but I also needed her as a guide.

“So,” I asked, “how do we get to… Ninety Six Greenlight Road?”

Scoots blinked, “Um, where?”

“Ninety Six Greenlight Road.” I replied. “Twilight gave it to me since as a hotel it can easily be made into… Yes I know what I used to be!” I said facehoofing.

Scootaloo giggled. “No you silly filly! I just didn’t hear the address. That’s near the ‘district’, Twilight told you what's somewhere near there right?”

I nodded. “Ja. Und?”

“Well if you’re okay with it, nothing I guess.” She answered with a relieved smile. “It’s good to know you don’t make a huge deal out of adult stuff like almost everypony older than me does. Seriously, I don’t get older ponies at all… Anyways, let’s get going. Should be about a ten minute walk.”

Scootaloo stood up and trotted out of the room, turning back to hold the curtain open for me with a polite ‘go on’ gesture. As I passed through the curtain I couldn’t help but feel like I could get used to this.

Who knows what the future holds?