• Published 31st Jan 2016
  • 3,608 Views, 1,780 Comments

Lifegiver - Meep the Changeling



Azur Lily, a young biomancy prodigy from Germaney, seeks to start a new life in Equestria.

  • ...
8
 1,780
 3,608

5 Flight

Scootaloo - 25th of Solarus ‘15 EoH - Mid Afternoon

“Ak! Purf! Herk!” Lily gurgled incomprehensibly as I ran down the street to-

Oh sweet Celestia I was dragging somepony by the neck!

I skidded to a stop, letting go of Lily and instantly wheeling around with an apology, wincing as I realized I’d dragged her about fifty meters!

“Oh my gosh I’m so sorry!” I shouted, ears drooping.

Lily massaged her neck with a hoof for a few moments as she wheezed in recovery. “It’s… Fine… I’d be… Exci…”

“Excited too?” I asked, unable to bear the wait between words.

Lily nodded, the sun making her earrings and piercings sparkle. You didn’t see many ponies with much jewelry, but I could see why Lily got her hoops. The two little gold hoops in her left eyebrow gave you something to look at other than the polar bear-whiteness of her fur, and the small hoops in her right ear let you find the edge of her ear more easily so you could better judge her emotions.

The dangly chain piercing in her other ear did that too, but the extra-sparkleyness suggested it was enchanted. So it had to be more than a ‘pretty thing’. Like the almost invisible same-color-as-her-coat stud AJ got in her right ear so Twilight could enchant it with a cloudwalking spell.

Hold on. Sparkly, magic… Twilight would kill me if I didn’t let her watch me get fixed up!

Not literally, but well… You know.

“We should go to Twilight’s castle,” I said quickly, “so she can watch you work.”

Lily blinked, then nodded once. “Ja, she probably would like to see the spell. She was interested in sharing notes sometime.”

This led to a new problem. I was originally heading for Sweet Apple Acres, because Mom had moved her cloud-house there after marrying AJ. Somepony would need to get them so they could see too.

“I don’t want to change without my moms there too.” I said biting my lip.

“That’s not a problem.” Lily said with a smile. “You go und get them, I’ll get Princess-”

I winced. “Uh, don’t call Twilight Princess. She hates that.”

“Really?” Lily asked with a raise of her gold-decorated eyebrow.

“Yeah.” I said with a nod. “If it’s not a formal event, she really hates being called Princess.”

“Oh… Gut.” Lily smiled slightly, I could tell she didn’t like nobles that much. “Anyways, Twilight will likely be busy. If I tell her we are ready to cure you now, she should be able to wrap up anything she is doing right now und be free to watch when you get back.”

That actually sounded like a great plan!

“Alright! Um, I’ll meet you at her castle as soon as I’m back. Just have somepony in the lobby to show us where Twilight wants you to setup.” I said, turning to leave.

“Uh, setup?” Lily asked with a confused sound.

“Twilight will want to take measurements! She’s heavily into the science side of magic.” I explained before taking off, to eager to delay the best day of my life with needless conversation.

I’ve always been fast on the ground. Not just for a pegasi, but in general. When I got old enough to compete in the running of the leaves, I’d made second place three years in a row. The only pony to beat me, Applejack.

But you know, earth pony endurance is nearly bottomless. If we wanted the race to be fair, we’d have it bracketed by kind. I’m pretty sure nopony could ever win a ground race against an earth pony with a speed talent. Just like how nopony could win a race against a pegasi with a speed talent.

Unless they were Rainbow. I’m pretty sure the mom she’s never mentioned was some sort of physical manifestation of pure bucking speed. Not even some sort of equinemorphized one either, I am convinced Gramps literally dated and had a foal with speed itself.

Mostly because of the time, Derpy asked how fast she could actually fly if she were trying absolutely as hard as she can. So Mom took a dive from the edge of the atmosphere, and slowed down when she started to fear burning up like a meteor. We clocked her at mach twenty-two.

Twenty two times faster than the speed of sound. I literally don’t know how fast that is. Mach one, sure that’s getting carried to Canterlot in about five minutes. At Dash’s top speed that would be from Ponyville to Canterlot in like, literally ten seconds flat!

As I ran to Sweet Apple Acres, me, with all my life experience, I literally could not comprehend moving that fast. But in less than an hour, with Mom’s blood going into making up my wings, maybe I could!

Before today ended, I could flap my wings, ascend into the heavens, and with some luck give Mom somepony to actually race against! Or, more likly, get to fly. To me, both of those options were equally amazing.

I didn’t even notice as my hooves stopped clicking on cobbled road, and started crunching on dirt. Or when I started to run up the front path to Sweet Apple Acres. Who cared about mundanity? I was going to fly!

I only even noticed I’d arrived as I ran up the steps built on the outside of the barn that led up to Dash’s cloud house. She’d loved it too much to sell it, so AJ agreed to live with her in it. Provided they put it on the farm. So we’d tied it to some of the barn’s rafters like a ship on a dock.

I may have shoulder-checked the door open. I’m not sure. All I remember is being outside, than being inside in front of Dash who was giving me an upset look, and then I shouted, “Lily’s done and we're gonna get my wings fixed at Twilight’s so she can watch!”

Dash’s upset face evaporated. “That’s aweso-”

“Get other-mom and meet us there!” I shouted eagerly, turning around as I suddenly realized, “I’m gonna get Bloom and Sweetie, they’ll wanna be there too!”

“Oka-” was all I managed to hear from Dash before I rushed out the door and back down the stairs.

Back to Ponyville! No problem. Get Sweetie from her shift at the Hay Burger, get Apple Bloom from Pattern Steel’s Smithy, go to castle, get wings.

Time blurred. Space warped. Or I was to excited to remember anything other than telling Sweetie to. “Now! Please! Castle! Go! ”

Then her confused face asking. “Uh, wuh?”

Me exclaiming. “Wings fixing! At Castle! Now!”

Then suddenly I was inside of Steel’s Smithy on the edge of the Everfree, exclaiming to a wide eyed Apple Bloom and exclaiming. “WING FIXING! NOW! IS!”

Bloom and Steel yelped, jumping as my shout apparently drowned out the ringing of steel on anvil! A glowing white bar of metal flipped off the anvil as the Bloom’s startled hooves lost their grip! Steel eked in alarm, smashed the bar away from her face with the haft of her hammer and threw up her leathery batty-wings from the shower of errant sparks!

The alarmed-terror on Bloom’s face morphed to anger as she turned to face me. “Luna’s mane Scoots! I nearly threw white-hot metal onto my boss! You can’t just explode into a bucking smithy!”

I felt my ears droop in shame, sadness, and general mortification. “I-I’m sorry… Just… Uh… Wings. Lily’s gonna fix them now. Like, now-now… And.. Um…”

Bloom’s lips formed a little ‘o’, her ears slowly rose from their flattened position. “Ah… Sorry. Er, we’re doing a knife set for a restaurant in Canterlot and-”

“It’s fine.” Steel said, voice the same eerie-calm as always. “Accidents happen. She’s excited. Go ahead. I can finish the other knives in the set myself.”

“This is the first one.” Bloom said pointing to the slowly cooling bar on the dirt floor.

“I managed without you for a century.” Steel said, smiling enough to reveal her fangs. “Your friend is having a big day. Share it.”

Bloom nodded. “Alr-”

“Or you’re fired.” The batpony mare teased, fetching some tongs to pick up the bar and put it back into the forge.

Bloom rolled her eyes. Then turned and nodded to me. “Okay, Scoots let’s rooo… Um… Steel? Do we have a spare door frame?”

I spent the walk back to Ponyville red faced in embarrassment. Apparently oaken doorframes reinforced with Thestrial Steel were far less strong than an excited Scoo-

Spying Twilight’s castle at the end of the street my ears perked up so hard they might have stretched out a bit. I was gonna fly today!

I started to bolt forwards, hooves eagerly pounding on the cobbles! A firm grip on my tail jerked me to a halt!

“Scoots, I know you’re excited,” Apple Bloom said evenly, “and I know that’s a castle door, but there is no way in tartarus that it’s more solid than Steel’s shop door.”

“Oh… Um, good point.” I said, dipping my head in embarrassment.

Castle doors had nothing on those built by the scociophobic recluse who lived ten yards from the Everfree.

A few moments later and the two guards ponies at the entry pulled the door open for us to enter. Twilight immediately looked up from a loose-leaf notebook and gave me the biggest grin ever.

“Quick! We’re using the upper balcony, so you can try flying right away. You know the way right?” She asked, holding her notebook open with her magic so she could run with it.

I nodded, eagerness bubbling back to the surface. Fly! Me! Now! Was!

“Oh boy…” Bloom muttered. “Uh, Twilight, just make sure you open all the doors.”

I gave her a glare. “Okay, can we stop that? Yes, I ran down a reinforced door without noticing but-”

Twilight giggled. “I did that to the Canterlot Library once! Apple Bloom, there are some things a pony just can’t help but want a little too much. Like seeing a School of magic that’s the forbidden to outsiders art of a world famous nation with your own two eyes.”

Bloom’s eyes took on a look of… Something. I didn’t know what that emotion was.

“Sorry Scoots.” She apologized. “I’m just… I’m still on edge from almost burning somepony.”

“I know. I should have been more careful. But I wasn’t. My bad.” I apologized. “Now, to the flying balcony!”

I turned right and sprinted off down the hall. The balcony was easy to reach. It wasn’t technically a pegasus landing platform like most homes had, but it definitely worked as one. Dash usually set us down ontop of it when we came over.

As I ran up the spiral staircase Twilight drew along side me, still smiling. “I had absolutely no idea you were even being helped! This is so exciting!”

“What?” I asked, almost tripping in confusion. “But Dash and I told you days ago!”

“Yes.” Twilight admitted. “You were here, and you said words near me, but I’ve been extremely busy lately. I’ve been teaching Wizardry to an apprentice, trying to learn a new language, bringing somepony up to speed on Equestrian politics, to say nothing of the normal duties involved in running Ponyville…

“Spike said you were here on a day I was spending trying to learn Old Changelish. And I can’t remember you coming over in the last week. Meaning you were talking while I was reading. So you were basically talking to an empty room! Eh heh.”

I almost facehooved, only my eagerness to not trip and fall down a spiral staircase saved me from the gesture. “I should have known better than to try to talk to you while you were reading… I guess we were to eager to plan a ‘you can fly now’ party…”

“Probably.” Twilight giggled. “Or I’ve finally mastered the art of sounding like I’m talking with you while still focusing on whatever I’m reading. Do you know how many times ponies interrupt me while I’m reading? Almost every time. And no! I don’t read literally all the time. Forty two percent is not one hundred percent!”

I was less surprised that Twilight spent that much time reading, or that she tracked her time usage, and more surprised that, “there are still things you haven’t read?” I asked.

“Oh please! I probably haven't even read seven percent of everything published thus far yet!” Twilight exclaimed as we reached the top of the stairs.

Probably? Yet? Holy crap! That meant she had read at least six percent. How much stuff was that?

Dear Celestia! Twilight made the worlds best translation spell! Did she mean everything in Equish, or like, everything, everything?

No! Don’t think about that or your head will explode and instead of flying today, you’ll be dead!

The stairwell door opened to reveal the large balcony. Marble tile floor. Gold railings shaped like looping vines. Big enough for twenty ponies to comfortably stand on. Everypony I cared for standing eagerly on the left side.

It was happening! Yay!

Lily stood near the center of the balcony, a small folding table was set up near her to hold the scrolls she’d made. The table also had a few arcane tools on it. The copper and crystal devices were evenly spaced around the table, and had small cup-like dishes on them that were pointed in a general ‘middle of the balcony’ area. Twilight had probably set them up to record data.

By chance she had been looking right at the door when it opened, and her eyes locked with mine. It was a magical moment. She was about to give me the best thing anypony ever could! You can’t not repay that! But what could I ever do for her?

“Okay everypony!” Lily announced as the door opened. “Please stand at the edge of the balcony. It’s safe to watch, but getting too close could disrupt the spells und well, I doubt any of you also want to be effected. Scootaloo, please stand a pony’s length in front of me und stay as still as you can.”

I nodded and trotted into place, trying to contain my urge to do an eager hop-skip.

“Um, how close is it safe to get?” Twilight asked, pulling her notebook into view.

“No more than three pony’s lengths from Scootaloo. My spells will insulate me, but without protection the magic might decide to jump to you.” Lily explained. “It’s drawn to bio-electric activity, like how lightning seeks the closest grounded object.”

Twilight nodded, conjured a quill with a flash of magic and started taking notes.

Lily nodded slowly to herself and slowly began to pace around me, her horn lighting up with it’s bright blue glow as she walked. “Alright… I’m scanning you to make sure you are healthy before starting. We want to be sure there is nothing which might foul the spell.”

I gulped nervously, heart beating faster untill Lily stopped her circling with a nod and returned to the table.

“You seem perfectly healthy. Stay as still as you can, und do not clench your jaw!” She warned.

I wanted to ask why, but the warning to stay still rang like an alarm bell in my mind. Fortunately, Applejack asked for me.

“Uh, why should she do that?” AJ asked.

Thanks Mom-Two!

“So if the magic changes her jaw or teeth at all they won't scrape on each other und result in a trip to the dentist.” Lily explained.

I immediately slackened my jaw. Colegate was a very nice pony, but I did not want to hear another lecture from her on oral care!

“Ya’ll can’t fix teeth?” She asked in response.

“Nein! I can. But I can’t change anypony more than once every five or six months. Cancer risk.” she explained, picking up the scroll on her right and opening it. “Now, please be quiet. I need to concentrate.”

Everypony quieted down. Lily’s horn blazed blue, this time the familiar wavy bubbly aura of a unicorn’s magic tightened, shifted, and constricted into a nearly perfect cone. It was as if every little wave and ripple shrunk to microscopic size.

Ohhhh! That made se-

A half dozen slender rays of blue light traced themselves through the air from the tip of Lily’s horn, and connected with me. I could feel each spot they touched as a warm spot on my skin, as if some pony were gently holding my wings, shoulders, heart, and the base of my skull. It was both weird and comforting at once.

Lily closed her eyes tightly, her magic’s glow covering them a moment later. At the same time the warm spots where her magic held me started to tingle, as if millions of tiny icy tendrils were snaking their way through me from the warm points, without making those parts cold.

My heart fluttered, the odd sensation was more than a little creepy.

“Nein… Nein…” Lily said slowly. “It’s okay. It will be a little cold. Just stay calm, und relax.”

I did my best to do as she said, but couldn’t help it as the fur on the back of my neck began to stand up.

A few heartbeats later and I could feel the icy tendrils almost everywhere in me. It was almost too much to stand! I had to run! Or maybe drop! Or-

The warmth from the six points flooded through the icy tendrils, soothing literally every single muscle in my body like the world's most tosty bath!

“Ooo…” I reflexively moaned.

“Okay,” Lily said with a relieved sigh. “It was harder than usual, but the infusion array is now working. You can move a little now, but try not to do more than breath, or blink, or shift your weight.”

My heart seized in panic. Ponyfeathers! She’d meant literally motionless? Please don’t have made her bucked it up!

“Ach! Nein!” Lily exclaimed, seconds after my heart skipped a beat. “Your heart doesn't like this! We need to move quickly!”

Woah! She could actually feel me? That was creepy slash cool! Should I tell her that it was just a fear response? Would that be moving too much?

Lily grabbed the scroll on her left and opened it. A spark of magic from her horn zipped to the parchment, activating the stored spell in a blaze of blue flames! The scroll vanished in a flash of white light, which flowed up to form a prismatic ball of cyan colored energy the size of a mango at the tip of her horn.

She took a deep breath, and dipped her head down. The energy ball slid down the thin beams of magic, splitting evenly among them, and turning each pale blue beam into a cyan colored, rainbow outlined one for a few long moments as the light ball bled into me.

The second the energy touched me I felt every single muscle in my body burn like I’d just finished running for hours! It didn’t hurt fortunately, but it did sting! I could feel the energy as it soaked into my body, sinking into an insane number of places. This was how a sponge felt!

Lily grabbed the second scroll, opened it, and activated it with a second spark. The burning scroll erupted into a gold hued orb of orange light, speed to her horntip, then bled into the beams like the other ball had.

This energy felt different as it sank into me. It didn’t feel like I’d worked out. It felt warm, inviting, relaxing. Like I’d just spent a warm summer day swimming, except I wasn't tired and could totally go for a hike or something because it was a perfect day out.

Lilly let out a held breath, and suddenly the warm tendrils of energy and beams of light vanished!

“Alright. That’s the energy infusion and DNA replication.” She said in a tired tone. “Now, we need to tell your body what to do. With the new material.”

Oh dear… She sounded and looked really exhausted.

“Um, are you going to be alright?” Twilight asked carefully.

“Ja. I’m fine.” Lily sighed. “I don’t have much mana, und while I knew this would take a lot, she is very hard to work with. You’re like an energy sponge, Scoots. But we can’t stop, or we’ll waste that energy, und you might burn up if it lacks a place to go und nothing to do but sit in your body.”

Right. Okay. Let’s not even think about that.

Lily’s horn began to glow again. This time her aura gently engulfed me, making me glow blue for a few moments before flaring up into a bright white light! I couldn’t see anything! Everything was white!

Wait, did that mean I couldn’t see because my eyes were glowing so bright they couldn’t see any other colo-

AH! EVERYTHING CRAMP!

“Oh… Nein…” Lily groaned faintly. “She’s drawing too… Too much… How can you be taking this mu-”

A sound like somepony falling over made my cramping heart writhe in terror!

“Oh ponyfeathers!” Sweetie Belle swore.

“Somepony bucking fix it!” Dash demanded fearfully.

“I’m on it!” Twilight exclaimed.

I heard the sound of a horn flaring up with magic. The whiteness tinted slightly lavender.

“Twilight, ya’ll sure you can get her out of that safely?” AJ asked wearily.

“Oh, no!” Twilight said quickly. “I couldn’t stop this if I tried. I don’t know enough about this particular spell. But Azur did finish it’s matrix, it just doesn't have enough power to finish. So I’m simply giving it a little more juice. Seems to be working. Looks like it’s doing it’s job. Can somepony help her up? Give her a manabar? I got one on the table.”

“We should stop playfully poking fun at your gut instincts when it comes to magic…” Dash said softly to herself.

Twilight laughed. “Don’t worry. I definitely used to rushed in to a lot of things. Celestia’s mane! She does just soak up energy like a sponge! Hey, Scoots, if this hurts yell or something. You have about three unicorns worth of thaumaturgic current in you right now. Not counting the scrolls.”

I wished I could. But everything was completely clenched all the way as tightly as it could-

“Uh, make that six.” Twilight exclaimed in surprise. “No, twelve! Twenty fo- Fourt- Quarter of-a-me! Half-a- Luna’s bucking mane! How the buck can you possibly-”

The whiteness vanished with a loud pop and crackle.

I dropped about three hooves down, landing on the balcony with a soft click.

All of the soreness and pain was completely gone. Heck, I could feel the breeze washing over me like a nice shower. If anything I was completely comfortable!

Everything felt… Great. Except for a bit of a headache. Nothing big, just a like what I got from reading for a few hours.

I blinked a couple times, trying to clear my eyes of a few ribbons of light that sort of were drifting around randomly. Huh, those were there when I closed my eyes… Wait a minute I wasn't seeing those! I just sort of knew they were there… And how they were moving…

“Um… What are the ribbony things?” I asked nopony in particular. “Is anypony else seeing those riboney things everywhere?”

Twilight was busily inspecting me by walking around me in a circle. AJ and Dash were busy staring at me in a way which honestly felt really uncomfy. Bloom and Sweetie were gently helping Lily eat the mana bar.

The poor girl looked like she had been awake for a week strait!

“Wait, ribboney things?” Twilight asked after a few seconds. “Can you point to one?”

I nodded and gently touched one with a hoof. “I’m touching one now.”

Twilight took a half step back and gave me her Science™ face. Oh sweet Celestia, please don’t have her go full-

“That’s thaumaturgic current. Unicorns can sense it, I don’t know how you are sensing it, but don’t worry it becomes a background thing with a little time.” Twilight said while looking at my wings with interest. “Can you extend a wing?”

I nodded and stretched out my right wing, turning over to look at-

“Oh! Wow!” I exclaimed in delight.

All of the feathers that made up the rear and tips of my wings were the same cyan as Dash! The mid feathers faded from cyan to my orange, providing a nice smooth transition of color! Even more awesome is my wings were much larger and more streamlined than the typical pegasus wing!

I folded it, curious to see how it rested against my side. The minute it folded I realized two things.

First, Dash and AJ were staring at me like that because they both liked pegasi and my wings looked really bucking sexy on me. Correction, were staring at me. Now they were awkwardly looking at clouds. Good.

Second, my wings swept up when folded, so that the tips of my feathers stuck up just a bit beyond my spine. Just like Twilight’s. Just like an alicorns.

I slowly moved a hoof up to feel at my forehead.

“You don’t have a horn.” Twilight informed as I reached up to check. “But yeah, they are.”

“How?” I asked, “And why?”

Lily groaned.

“Are you okay?” I asked stepping over to-

“Woah! I weigh, like, nothing!” I exclaimed after a few steps.

It literally felt like my body was as heavy as a piece of paper! It was effortless to move! Awesome!

“Ja. I’m okay. Just… Something made the spell drain all my mana. I’ll be okay tomorrow.” Lily said managing to stand up in a way that made me think she was carrying invisible sacks of bricks.

Twilight nodded. “She drained three quarters of my mana too… Is the spell supposed to take that much power?”

“Nein… I should have had enough to do it on my own.” Lily replied.

That’s when Bloom and Sweetie noticed my new wings.

“Woah!” They exclaimed in unison rushing up to get a close look at the new me.

“I know right?” I laughed happily.

“I’m glad you were able to finish the spell.” Lily said to Twilight as my friends gave me the same grins we grinned while planning and building the rocket wagon. “I was afraid, you would do something… Foolish.”

Twilight blinked, then grinned, then laughed. “You’ve been listening to my friends haven’t you? That’s just good natured ribbing. I used to be overconfident with my magic, I still am sometimes, but I’m a lot more responsible now. But yes, I still sometimes make a foolish mistake about when and how to use magic.

“It’s a part of who I am. We all have some negative traits, and well, friends joke about them. Example: Hey Dash! You’re really arrogant and boastful!”

“Yep!” Dash replied, still cloud watching. “AJ, you’re super stubborn.”

“Reckon so.” She chuckled looking back down and taking a deep breath. “Ya’ll shouldn’t take friendly tease’n as warnings an’ insults Lilly. Twilight’s a great mage, as I’m sure ya know now.”

Lily nodded firmly. “I see… I uh… I’ve never really had many friends. I’ll keep that in- Scoots, you have alicorn wings! How und why?” she exclaimed noticing how my wings curled up slightly.

I shrugged. Twilight shrugged. Everypony shrugged.

Lily shook her head. “How much energy did you put into her?”

“Three quarters of my manna.” Twilight answered. “Roughly three hundred and eighty four AUVs.”

Lily gave her a blank look. Twilight returned that blank look with a confused one. Sweetie Belle smiled in slow realization.

“Ha! I know something Twilight doesn't! Germaney doesn't use the Imperial System!” Sweetie giggled. “Three-eighty-four Average Unicorn Values is about a one-fifty-six kilomanas.”

Twilight facehooved. “Oh my Luna, how the bucking hay did I forget that…”

“Faust’s mane!” Lily exclaimed in shock. “I just- Wait! Her odd genetic structure with the tri-fold heritage und the fact that Dash und Applejack’s bloodlines are very pure for their tribes combined with the nearly pure unicorn Scoots had- Your mane is a little fluffy! It could hide a cute little tiny horn! Can you check?” Lily asked eagerly.

I quickly felt my forehead. Nope. Smooth. I shook my head. “Nothin. Just a little headache.”

Lily’s face fell the same way Twilight’s had the time she thought she had done a ‘first’ in magical physics, but it had turned out she failed.

“Humm… Well… Perhaps… Ah! Ja, das ist es.” Lily shook her head with a simple smile. “Twilight, you must have gotten too close, und since you were feeding her energy, the spell must have shaped itself a bit to match your own biology. Thus, transferring some of your traits onto her. Since the magic was directed primarily at Scoot’s wings, you happened to direct it to match her your wing shape.”

“Is that possible?” Twilight asked, along with me.

“Ja! You have to hold the form of the thing you desire in your mind for the spell to work.” Lily replied with a tired wobble. “Without training, it’s hard to do. You knew we were fixing her wings, ja?”

Twilight nodded.

“You must subconsciously have thought of your own wings, as you are the most familiar with them.” Lily said wobbling again and deciding to sit down before she fell over. “So now, Scoots has pegasi wings, made from her adoptive mother’s blood und made to look alicorny by your thoughts. … I think I’m going to sleep now.”

Lily wobbled again, then slowly lay down, almost immediately starting to snore lightly. Twilight knelt down and started to check her pulse and other vitals.

Rainbow walked over to me as I bent down to make sure she was okay. “So, kid,” she said with an eager but awkward tone, “aside from making you like, a solid nine-”

“Mom!” I exclaimed, doing my best to not look grossed out and failing.

“What?” Dash objected. “They do! You’re like, twenty years younger than me. Chill. I’m just saying they look great and that you might have to learn to ignore the random flirts stallions are going to give you.”

“Oh…” I kicked the floor shyly.

It was still awkward, but at least it was awkward for a different reason.

“Anyway, wanna see if those things are for more than just show?” Dash asked with an eager smile.

“Buck the hay yes!” I shout-exclaimed, wings flaring open reflexiv- “Sweet! My wings do that open-when-happy thing now!” I giggled.

Dash cleared her throat. “Uh… They do that when you’re more than happy. Also when terrified. And don’t even bother trying to keep ‘em down. I’ve broken belts... So um, remember anything I told you about how to fly?”

“Literally every word.” I replied.

“If they actually work,” Twilight mused, “I should have a clinic built. No sense making an asset like Lily spend her own money to set up a public service.”

“Well, then let’s find out.” I said happily, snapping my wings open and pushing down hard while sweeping them back to take off.

It worked!

For the first time ever it worked!

I was in the air!

I was hovering my own height off the ground!

“Yes!” Dash exclaimed, jumping up to my eye level to hold out her hoof for a bump. “You did it, Scoots!”

I accepted the bump then looked up. “How high can I go?” I asked nopony in particular.

“Well… After you can start seeing the stars with the sun up, it gets really hard to keep going up.” Dash mused. “Which sucks because the sky gets all black and well, it’s cold, but I’ve always wanted to see if I could reach the moon.”

“Uh… You shouldn’t try that one.” Twilight said slowly.

“Pff, that’s what you said about the dive, and I only singed a few feathers!” Dash objected.

I giggled and flapped lightly, seeing if I could move up. It would suck to only be able to hov-

“Ha! I’m going up!” I exclaimed happily, “Hey mom! I’ll race you to however high the star-seeing spot is!”

“You’re on kid! I’ll give you ten seconds head start!” Dash exclaimed, lips starting to move in a silent count.

I pushed down as hard as I could, immediately shooting up through the air, easily as fast as Dash’s normal ‘flying around town’ speed. I felt pure joy flood my entire body. There was nothing I could say to explain how I felt. Nothing I could do.

Wait. There was one thing.

“I win! Buck you gravity! Woo!” I exclaimed lovingly, ascending into the heavens for the first time.