• Published 31st Jan 2016
  • 3,606 Views, 1,780 Comments

Lifegiver - Meep the Changeling



Azur Lily, a young biomancy prodigy from Germaney, seeks to start a new life in Equestria.

  • ...
8
 1,780
 3,606

22 Second Date

The Hearth, Deepwoods, Everfree Forest - 21st of Midsummer ‘15 EoH - Night

Hoofsteps rang against the stone, echoing off the smooth chiseled walls, transforming the lone sprinter into a charging cavalry. Sacred ran with an urgency rarely seen in the world, that of a true believer delivering news of the utmost importance to an unquestionable authority.

Those who dared to be by chance in his way were swatted aside with a pulse of crimson, their fates ignored. Their cries of pain unheard. Not out of malice, or callousness, but out of duty and loyalty. Father demanded news as soon as possible, and so he would get it with all possible speed. Consequences be damned.

Sacred only slowed when the iron doors leading to the throne room resolved from the darkness of the corridors. A shower of sparks and a shriek of metal on stone accompanied his sudden stop, and the creak of the iron doors opening with a pulse of crimson light came but a second after.

Sacred passed over the threshold and bowed in unison, helmet nearly scraping the stone as he closed the doors behind himself, taking care to do so with a respectful quiet.

“Father,” Sacred said urgently, “dire news from Trottingham! EUP forces have found and seized the regional training camp. I did relax security, as per your instructions, however those stationed there failed to activate the camp’s self destruct. Many of our records and much of our equipment is now within the enemy's hooves.”

Father sat silent for several moments. The red light within his eye socket rolling between deep crimson and bright red.

“For what reason did this failure occur?” Father asked at last, voice dripping with deadly venom.

“We greatly underestimated the recon capabilities of a group known as the ‘Knights of the Rampant Moon’,” Sacred explained. “It is quite clear that one of their number is a changeling capable of mind reading. A key operative appears to have been completely and flawlessly replaced by such a creature, and prevented the facility’s destruction.”

“Once again, our failure comes from inadequate information of our enemy,” Father said decisively. “My Chief Researcher in charge of espionage agent development is consistently unable to perform his function properly. Replace him, and do not recycle the remains.”

“I agree completely with replacing Arrex-seventy-eight, Father. But is it not wasteful to execute an agent with a battle scheduled two weeks from now? Surely he could be of some service in a shieldwall,” Sacred mused, his thoughtful tone echowing slightly amid the low hum of arcane machinery.

“You are correct, however, progress has been slow in recent years. My children are overdue a fresh view of failure’s consequences,” Father said amidst a slow shuddering breath.

“As you wish, Father. I will pass on your orders,” Sacred accepted, lowering his forelegs in a bow. “What shall I do to counter your enemy's move? I have several ideas, if I may-”

“You may not present them,” Father said icily. “The Trottingham camp was in your hooves, and the failure is therefore yours. As our enemy now knows the locations of at least two other Forges, we must advance our deception to today. If we do not react to this blow, they will know we seek to fool them.

“You will prepare Munitors to create fresh troops to make up for the day’s losses, gather half the legions, and strike at Ponyville today. You are to try as hard as possible to slay Twilight Sparkle in battle. If you accomplish nothing else today other than your death, make her fall. Go.”

Sacred bowed low once more, taking the care and effort to leave the room as silently as possible to do as commanded. He took his time walking through the twisting halls of the Hearth, as if to examine the crystal, metal, and glass conduit festooned stone. Sacred’s expression behind the impossibly black helmet remained hidden from the world, but the way his gaze lingered on, certain walls carried a nostalgic weight.

Regardless of personal thoughts, the loyal servant went about his duties, carrying Father's words to his children.

Over the next few hours, Father's will was done. A thousand crystal chambers filled with a thick pungent fluid. A hundred mages began their duties. Scores of engineers began to create tools and weapons anew. Four legions assembled, and poured forth from the bowels of the earth to form up in preparation for the day’s march.

Sacred watched as the ranks of his warriors marched, rolled, and slit forth, personally ensuring each and every last member of every legion called, and all of their supporting personnel left the Hearth. All but one, who sat at his side in the red cloak and black armor of a TR. After they passed the armored pony stood still, hesitant, spending a great time staring out of the cavern's mouth at the line of dappled sunlight of the forest. His cloak rippled as he finally stepped forwards, slowly moving to the line of light and stopping just shy of crossing over into the sun’s rays.

Sacred paused again, the armored pony at his side simply walked into the sun, taking a few moments to realize Sacred’s hesitation before turning around.

“Sir, it’s only light,” the red cloaked pony said.


“No. It’s her light. I can see it,” Sacred said slowly.

He reached out with an arcanite clad hoof, putting just the very tip over the line, and waiting another moment before at last crossing over the barrier.

“Sun burn only happens if your in harsh light sir…” The red cloaked pony said supportively. “And only if you are not covered.”

“That wasn’t my concern, Arrex-seventy-eight,” Sacred said, tilting his head back to look up at the dense forest canopy overhead. “So… These are trees then?”

“Aye, sir,” Arrex replied. “Have… Have you never had foraging training, sir?”

“No. Command training is different,” Sacred answered, still looking up, eyes flicking from place to place amongst the treetops. “I rather like these. We should put some in the mess halls.”

“They would add a little color, but perhaps too much,” Arrex disagreed.

“Mmm… Maybe you are right,” Sacred sighed, turning back to look at the amassed legions beneath the trees.

He stepped forward, walking towards the front of the army, and biting his tongue to avoid speaking further on the subject. There was another's will to be done by his hooves.

Lily - 22nd of Midsummer ‘15 EoH - High Noon

It would have been very nice to know that the Emerald Hive ran a small air transport service a couple months ago. Sure, Stalliongrad didn’t have any radio system, or even an arcane messenger network, but I’m pretty sure David could easily have built a transmitter from parts in Zebrica. It would have been nice to just wait in a hotel room and then get picked up via airship.

Though, given the situation, that still would have been impossible. I would have had to have been to the area to know about it beforehoof. At the least, it was nice to know that getting home to Ponyville was a short 4 hour flight.

It also would have been handy to have gotten a hold of those gemstones. Trixie barely had to explain how they worked to me. Yesterday I hadn’t cast a single spell, or really made little use of my telekinesis, and I could feel that energy still there! The normal limit to my daily supply was simply gone. A mind blowing concept to internalize.

Also a bit of a problem, as without knowing what my upper limit was, I couldn’t quite determine how much of my own energy would be used. Which is a thing many of my spells required me to know. Some experimenting was in order.

Fortunately Trixie showed me a spell which could transfer stored thaumaturgic current from a given object into the gems. With the reactor in the hidden lab under my clinic, working out what my maximum energy was now would be a sinch.

But all that could come later! I had a week of missed memories to catch up on, and a marefriend to go out to lunch with.

Scootaloo took my memory loss well. She was most happy I wasn’t dead, and fortunately it seems that all I really missed with her was lunches and conversations. Interestingly, she insisted I was acting the same towards her as I had been before attempting to improve her weather control. This implied that I could subconsciously remember that week, which gave me hope of being able to eventually remember.

Scootaloo had taken the airship ride to do her best to retell everything she had shared about herself to me during the last week. How she got revenge on her fillyhood bully by tricking her into signing up for the Solar Guard, but later regretted it. Only to ironically find out that said bully had really been changed for the better by boot camp. How she had done her best to enter motocross clubs to try and impress her mom with some kind of racing career, only to fail because she was terrible at biking. The time she got stuck to her bed via static electricity and nearly lit the house on fire with the spark from her being pulled out of bed by her uncle Big Mac. Good stories, all of them.

But while she was telling each story I could tell that she was avoiding talking about something. I knew in part what it was as well. I had operated on her during a recovery period. Why? More important, why was she not talking about that? Surely that was the biggest event to happen in either of our lives last week!


I didn’t press the matter for the ride over. Nor did I press it as we debated on where to go for a nice lunch date. It would have been rude to push the matter when she clearly wanted not to speak of it. However, it could be disastrous to put the matter off entirely. So I decided to ask over food. Nopony I had ever known would abandon food over a desire to avoid a serious topic.

After some debate, the two of us decided to go to Scootaloo’s favorite restaurant, the Quesadilla Shack. I remembered the converted bridge and canvas tent fairly well. I wasn’t about to turn down a chance to eat there, especially since I remembered the food being very good, but even more so since my marefriend loved the place.

And how could she not love it? The Quesadilla Shack had a homey sort of feel to it. They way the sunlight shone through the orange tarp-tent’s roof gave every table a relaxed homey atmosphere. Even better, the tarp trapped the scents from the kitchen, letting the smell of Ponyville’s ubiquitous fresh flowers mix with the scent of Mexicolt food. Few smells were more appetizing than that, and it more than made up for the simplistic to non-existent decor.

After all you go to a restaurant to eat something, not to look at things. That’s what art galleries are for.

Our simple conversation continued all through the line, and a few minutes after sitting down at a table. I was tempted to ignore the question further and enjoy my plate of Panucho, but there are some things that simply fester over time and cause problems. This really felt like it would be-

“So uh, you know those things have meat in them right?” Scootaloo asked.

I nodded, taking a bite of the tortilla wrapped goodness. “Ja I do. I need to eat meat, remember?”

She nodded, blushing slightly. “Right! Sorry. I’ll remember that eventually. It’s because you can’t absorb enough vitamin B-twelve from plants, right?”

I nodded, taking a second bite, and resisting the temptation to lick some juices off of my hoof. “Ja. Pernicious anemia is the name of the condition you’re thinking of.”

She nodded. “Right… But um, if you know what prevents your from getting enough B-twelve normally, why haven’t you fixed it?”

Ah this question. I’d expected something like it to come up eventually. After all no Equestrian was required to pass Germane Ethics exams.

I set my food down on the plate, and held up my hoof. “Notice how I’m eating with my hooves?”

Scootaloo nodded/ “Yes. Are you using this as an example, or do you not want to talk medical things while eating?”

“As an example,” I clarified. “I could easily have lifted my meal with my magic. But I didn’t. Because it’s not necessary to do so, und I have no real advantage in using magic over my hoof for it.

“I don't need fine control to eat. Nor do I need to hold many things at once. My hoof can grip this easily, and it’s very simple motions to get it into my mouth. So I used hooves, and refrain from the use of magic.”

Scootaloo’s eyes brightened a little, recognizing my point. “Oh I get it! Since you can get a hold of meat easily and it’s not hurting anypony you don’t feel a need to change your condition, even though technically it’s broken.”

“Ja… But also nein,” I said slowly.

I took a minute to pull the right words to mind. “It’s more like I don’t see anything which isn’t impairing a pony’s life as being something which is ‘broken’. Ja, I have to eat meat but well, so do pegasi unless they can afford protein supplements and hate the flavor. It’s not a real problem, to me this is just part of who I am.”

“Okay, I think I understand you,” Scootaloo mused.

“Why did you ask?” I asked inquisitively, picking my food back up.

It was too delicious to ignore for much longer.

“Well, you’ve mentioned lots of problems your people have, and I know you still have a few of them. I’ve been trying to work out why you didn’t heal them. You’ve got a pretty good reason for it. I mean, I wouldn’t fix something I didn’t think was broken,” she said, taking a bite of her own dish.

“It doesn't bother you, does it?” I asked. “My diet I mean?”

“No. But it’s not normal for a unicorn to eat meat regularly. Just wondering why you weren't well, conforming to the norm,” she explained. “I’m not saying you should conform, I mean hay, I gave you the, ‘be yourself’ speech. I just like to understand ponies, and well… You’re my coltfriend. I should be able to understand you.”

I nodded, satisfied with her answer. “Ja, you should. Und I should be able to understand you… Und I do a little bit. Enough to know that you want to avoid talking about why I modified you so soon… But, I think you know that it’s important I know why I did something that’s a breach of ethics…”

Scootaloo's ears fell, a wave of sadness washing over her features. “Yes… But can it please wait? You had a panic reaction, and well, it’s really not a big deal. That kind of thing happens all the time here. I’d like to have a nice lunch with you and just be happy you’re okay. Please?”

I bit my lip as I looked into her pleading eyes. It was very very hard to choose. I knew she would tell me if I asked, but at the same time, would that hurt her? And yet, I really needed to know! It was eating away at my insides.

Perhaps it would be best for a light version, something to tide me over until a full explanation? Yes. Yes it would.

“Can we compromise?” I asked.

“How so?” Scootaloo asked hesitantly, frowning suspiciously.

“If you promise to tell me the details later, I promise to not ask anything about it until this evening,” I promised.

Scootaloo blinked as her ears perked back up. “Oh! Yeah I guess that would be fine.”

She tapped a hoof to her chin, leaning back in her chair in thought for a hooffull of seconds before finally nodding. “I think the best way to put it, is that Twilight gave you a royal order to try and improve the local defenses in anyway you could, and I volunteered because my weather powers were pretty good and if we could just fix that ‘causes a stroke’ thing I’d be able to help defend Ponyville in case of another attack.

“I talked you into it by explaining that one of the few things I’ve ever wanted to do is earn my moms’ respect, and well, I’ve never grown out of superhero fantasies… So you worked on me because of a Royal Order and I convinced you to use me to help fill it.”

“Oh,” I said in mild surprise.

Now that was quite interesting. And also a very good reason to do something. Not the ‘talked into it’ part, but the Royal Order part. After all, if the government requests your services for the public good it’s only right to give them.

“Why would I have had a panic reaction to that?” I asked curiously. “That’s a very good reason, and after a monster attack like that, I definitely understand why you would want to increase defenses.”

“Well… There’s a bit more to it, but that’s the main reason,” Scootaloo explained, ears drooping slightly. “You remember your part of the deal, right?”

I nodded firmly. “Ja, I do. Simply commenting on the core of the matter.”

That was half true. I was still quite curious, but at the very least I knew that I was morally fine. If she had simply talked me into things without any real reason behind my decision other than her words…

As much as I loved Scootaloo it could never be a good idea to become emotionally linked with someone able to convince you to abandon your principles. My heart was singing with joy at the fact my actions had justification in attempting to aid the community. Even more so at the fact that Scootaloo took the risk of a thaumaturgic cancer as an acceptable risk for the sake of protecting others.

“I’m glad to be in love with a mare who would risk herself for the safety of others,” I said happily, giving Scootaloo the change of topic she clearly desperately wanted.

She blushed and turned her head to look off down the street. “You say that like it’s rare… I’d like to think that most ponies would be a hero if they could. I just happen to have someone in my life who can help me become well… Heroic.”

“Oh! We succeeded then?” I asked, ears perking happily.

“Uh, we?” Scootaloo asked, raising an eyebrow. “You did all the work. I don’t deserve any of that credit.”

“Nein! You do. Without you there would have been nopony to enhance. I’m half the equation… Und so you deserve half the credit,” I insisted. “So, how did we do? No more migraines when calling full sized lightning?”

Scootaloo cleared her throat and looked around the restaurant as if not wanting to be overheard. “Uh, well…”

“Why the secrecy?” I asked curiously. “Princess Celestia didn’t classify things, did she? I recall being told she summoned you.”

“Well… No,” Scootaloo answered at last. “But she did tell me it would be best to not advertise how much power you managed to give me... “

She gave me a nervous little smile before staring down at her food for a few minutes.

“Uh… Well… What can you tell me then?” I asked.

She squirmed for a minute before deciding. “Everything… But not here. For now, well, you made my weather control very very good. Notice how it’s a nice sunny day?”

I nodded,.“Ja the weather patrol is doing a nice…”

I trailed off as Scootaloo gave me a knowing grin. “It’s supposed to be raining now. I’m making it sunny.”

“How?” I asked curiously looking at her wings or hooves for any sign of thaumaturgic activity.

“Willing it,” she admitted quietly. “If you look up, you’ll see the weather team trying to make rain clouds, but they keep dissolving into water vapor. That’s me. I’m doing it… I wanted nice weather for our date.”

I craned my neck to get a view of the sky, unfortunately the tarp roof and buildings along the street limited my view to the tiniest patch of sky.

“Go ahead and look. I need you to know I’m telling the truth, okay?” Scootaloo asked.

Her tone held an odd urgency to it. She definitely did need me to know.

“Okay, just a minute,” I said as I got up.

I trotted out from under the tarp-roof and looked up to get a good view of they sky. It was most certainly a good day. Not a hint of a cloud in the sky for miles in any direction.

Hold on a second… I squinted up at the clouds and slowly turned in a circle. Checking twice just to be absolutely certain.

It was perfectly sunny and absolutely cloudless in a perfect circle that spanned all of Ponyville’s walled portion. And outside that line, the tell tell gray lines of a light showering rain.

Frowning at this oddity, but aware that in a nation with pegasi members such a feat could be achieved easily, I looked up to see if anypony was maintaining the ring of clouds. It took some hard squinting, but I could make out small colored dots of pegasi zipping around the cloud ring. It took me a few more seconds to notice them attempting to move the clouds into the ‘hole’ in the cloud bank, only to keep failing as the cloud bits just dissolved.

After a quick moment in which I wondered exactly what the buck I had done and wished I knew enough about the brain to be able to fix memory issues, I took a deep breath, went back inside, and sat down.

“Alright,” I said timidly, “I believe you.”

Scootaloo blushed lightly. “I should stop it though… The poor weather team is probably panicking…”

“Ja, looked like it,” I agreed. “How- er, how much can you control? Und did I mention any of how I did this?”

“Oh, I could do more, but well, plants need water and mom always gets mad when her trees are under watered so I’m keeping it to just Ponyville’s urban areas. … I’m mostly doing it because Princess Celestia and also Dusk said I should practice.”

I had been about to take a bite of my Panucho when Scootaloo’s words slapped me upside the head. “You met Dusk?! Oh my gosh I haven’t even thought to visit her in weeks! Or did I? Ugh! Bucking memory loss! Did I introduce you to her? Because er, well… You know. She’s not exactly normal.”

Scootaloo nodded, smiling slightly. “I know. But no. She showed up when you collapsed, drunk… Wait! How the buck could she get drunk? Is she a delusional mage or something?” Scootaloo demanded, looking irritable.

I quickly shook my head. “No. She’s really an immortal. She was probably at the pub she and I met at, the owner makes a mead which is essentially distilled magic. It’s very tasty!”

“Oh… Huh,” Scoots said with a half frown. “Uh, anyways… Well… You sort of made me similar to her.”

“I did what?” I asked in a calm tone.

This surprised me. I understood the words coming out of her mouth, and their gravity. How had I managed to keep my tone calm there?

“You, somehow, made me, like her,” Scoots said again, looking around. “Not so loud, okay?”

“But… She's… How?” I asked, feeling my brain start to panic.

A deep screaming cry of ‘What the flying buck did I do and how?’ Began to build up within my mind and heart. It slowly welled upwards as I desperately tried to piece together any way that what Scootaloo was saying was true and that I was the cause of such a complete and total break of reality and physics!

Why!?

When!?

How!?

The deep piercing wail of a massive horn slapped me out of my pending confusion meltdown! The single note reverberated off of the walls of Ponyville, as if every single surface was producing the booming note.

“Princess Twilight Sparkle,” a menacing and deep voice called, again, as if the voice came from every surface in town, “the Ashes are upon you! Your destruction is nigh. I am a fair stallion, I shall give you fifteen minutes to prepare your forces for battle. Should you not summon your warriors and meet me outside your walls, we shall enter your city, and it shall be no more. Except for the trees. I rather like them... That is all.”

Another loud blast of a war-horn punctuated the end of the announcement, shaking the ground slightly with it's sheer presence.

“Uhhhhh….” I said unintelligently, the aborted by pure terror confusion-meltdown having broken my brain just a bit.

“Huh, I thought we had two more weeks before this happened,” Scootaloo mused thoughtfully.

“What!” I exclaimed, the confusion-meltdown resuming from where it left off.