• Published 31st Jan 2016
  • 3,608 Views, 1,780 Comments

Lifegiver - Meep the Changeling



Azur Lily, a young biomancy prodigy from Germaney, seeks to start a new life in Equestria.

  • ...
8
 1,780
 3,608

17 Planning Ascension

Lily - 11th of Midsummer ‘15 EoH - Late Morning

Here I was, sitting down in a hole-in-the-wall diner, minutes after learning that barely month after facing the last horrible threat, and now I was supposed to face another. Last month; insane Changeling Queen and slave minions. This month; ancient sorcerer with clone army. An old saying about frying pans and fires came to mind.

Despite the immediate danger, my brother and his wife were continuing on like it was any other day or time! Dragging me off to this hole-in-the-wall, bare bones decor diner for breakfast!

“We should be preparing,” I said aloud, looking at Sky oddly.

“Yep! That omelet bar will be open soon… Probably gonna have to sprint for it like last time. It’s kinda packed today,” he replied cheerfully.

Pinkie giggled. “We're right behind it Triggie. You can just turn around.”

“True, but it wouldn’t be the first time some unicorn’s floated half the bar to their table...” He mused eyeing the other tables suspiciously.

“I meant for the upcoming attack!” I hissed, trying to keep my voice down to avoid starting a panic.

“Oh yeah, that,” Sky mused. “Pinks, tell Twilight to take care of it.”

“Okay!” Pinkie exclaimed cheerfully before flipping open her menu. “Ooo! They have cream scones today!”

“There, problem solved. Book Princess is on it,” Sky grunted. “Now relax, get some food. It’s Neighko’s, everything’s great!”

I sputtered a bit. “I- But, there’s no way she can possibly-”

“Demonic Centaur Kaiju...” Sky said giving me the most serious look ever. “That ate souls like tic tacs. She kicked his plot. Then put all the souls back Hohenheim style. Trust me, it’s all good. Now grab some noms, I’m buying.”

“Be that as it may... That legend, if true, means she was able to stop one super powerful opponent. But what about thousands of merely powerful ones? A hoard of Jungle Ants can eat a cragodile given the right-”

“Ooo! I remember those!” Pinkie exclaimed, jumping up and giving me an eager grin. “This one time, a really really really big hot lava cake monster erupted from a bakery in Trottingham, and it got trapped in a zoo by the Batty-bat guards, but they couldn’t get it out or make it stop being all mean so they asked us for help, and there was a huge display thingie-bingie of Jungle Ants which Dash crashed into and broke!

“So there were ants EVERYWHERE, and they were all super grump from having their home broke and were all super bitey. So Fluttershy tried the stare on them but that didn’t work because ant’s don’t like to see things, they like to smell them, which meant Twilight had to turn them all into jelly beans before they ate us! There was SO MANY jelly beans! … But all of them were salted black licorice and cinnamon flavored for some reason.”

Pinkie finished her story with a smile and flopped back into her seat to resume reading the menu.

“Um… Okay… But-” I began.

“Oh yeah, wasn’t that last year? After the time Discord accidentally read a supervillain from a comic book into existence?” Sky asked with a confused frown.

“No, that was after that, but before the after that,” Pinkie said cryptically.

Were they actually serious right now?!

“The Everfree is filled with danger!” I exclaimed, thumping a hoof against the table.

“I see your brother-in-law finally learned about the Everfree, Pinkie. “ A light-cinnamon and Strawberry unicorn mare dressed in a simple apron said. “It’s the Everfree, it’s always dangerous. A few more monsters changes nothing… Has everypony worked out what they want to order?”

Sky nodded.“Think so. I’ll have the omlet-”

“Oh-my-gosh!” Pinkie exclaimed, eyes widening to the size of dinner plates. Literally. It was amazing and terrifying all at once. A split second of ‘Ah-wah?!’

Pinkie wheeled around and begged. “The Chimi-Cherry-Changa! I must try it! It has been sitting in my head for years!”

The waitress nodded. “Yeah, I think Burnt Olives whipped that recipe up after hearing you mention it… It’s not already a di-”

“No!” Pinkie exclaimed.

“Right, one omelet bar, one Chimi-Cherry-Changa, and for you…” The waitress trailed off, looking at me curiously.

Sky turned to look at me as well. Then Pinkie joined in. I felt my ears flick back in annoyance.

“We are in danger!” I objected. “We shouldn’t be-”

“This is Ponyville,” the Waitress interrupted, “it’s always in some kind of weird danger. Don’t worry about it, it’s pretty much always wrapped up in a few hours… Also somehow we have the lowest death rate in all Equestria.”

“Right, that,” Sky agreed turning to eye the other tables again.

“Yeah! My friends and I got this!” Pinkie exclaimed with a compassionate smile. “So why not try some pancakes?”

I frowned indignantly. “I just-”

“Paaaaannnncakkkkkessssss…” Pinkie intoned, waving a spoon back and forth like a hypnotist’s watch.

“... Fine… One stack of pancakes,” I mumbled.

“Alright,” the waitress confirmed, scribbling down our order. “One omelet bar, one Chimi-Cherry-Changa, and a stack of pancakes.’

“Are you sure you're not blood related to him, Triggie? ‘Cuz he’s got your stubborn,” Pinkie asked thoughtfully.

“Well, technically we are. Because genome edits,” Sky and I said together.

Pinkie bit her lip to choke back a laugh while Sky grinned and shook his head. “Right… We have food coming, now we can get down to business. So, lil bro, what do you need for your clinic?”

I sighed and slumped in my seat. “... Plenty. But there’s more pressing matters at hoof than-”

“No there isn’t,” Pinkie disagreed. “We all heard Princess Luna and Twilight ask you to help, and to help, you need to do your magicy changey stuff, and Sky wants to help you get stuff to do your stuff better.”

“Right,” Sky agreed, “but not only for that reason. I have a nice lab myself, it’s only fair to help you get the start of one.”

I frowned. They were right, I would need some proper equipment if I wanted to do anything truly major… And I would most certainly need to do something of that sort to help in any relevant way.

One month. How much could I do by hoof in one month? Enhance the strength of maybe a dozen ponies… Yeah not exactly a battle winner.

But on the other hoof, everything I did need that would be of any use would be massively expensive.

I shook my head slowly. “I… I can’t ask you to foot the bill for my equipment. Everything of immediate help is quite expensive and may not even be made in Equestr-”

Sky facehooved hard enough for many heads to turn at the resounding crack!

“Ow… I’m trying to do a brotherly thing, you derp!” He exclaimed, dragging his hoof down over his face. “Money isn’t an issue. You not being able to comply with a royal order, is! You not being able to help ponies to the best of your abilities, is also a problem. This is what family does, help with each other’s problems!”

“Yeah!” Pinkie exclaimed eagerly. “We’re Appl- Oh, no wait! Wrong family. Um, no hold on, I’ll work something out.”

I watched in stunned disbelief as Pinkie took a pencil and parchment from her mane and started to compose an actual song. With my jaw dropping in amazement, I turned to look at Sky to plead for an explanation.

“It’s Pinkie. She’ll melt your brain. So, stuff, what need?” He asked firmly.

Shaking off the fact that I’d just seen a pony actually launching into a musical number, only to abort and then go to write an appropriate musical number, I decided to be honest with Sky. After all, once he understood the costs involved, he would probably just donate a bit instead of foot the bill and I wouldn’t have to feel guilty for making family pay for hardware.

“Alright,” I began, “first, I need precision ground rose quartz crystals no bigger than 3 millimeters und cut into cone shapes. These need to be housed in an arcanite ring, spaced so as to allow a petri dish to fit snugly against the tips of the crystals. The ring itself needs a power supply, independent from the house’s power field, und it MUST be absolutely clean and as efficient as possible. The arcanite will need to be enchanted with a detection spell capable of reading things at a molecular resolution.

“This entire assembly needs to then be attuned to an auto quill, or other printing device, so as to record the sequence of DNA into Biomantic notation. Optimally, it would store a copy of the information on a crystal so I could simply transfer the data to another device when-”

I trailed off as I noticed Sky had snatched a piece of paper from Pinkie and was taking notes.

“How much storage space are we talking about?” Sky asked. “Also, we are not limited to arcane only here. Tech solutions work too. In fact, I could probably build this into a bench containing everything else… This is a gene sequencer, right? I’m not a biologist but you probably need to make the gene edits, so you would want a synthesizer as well. What goes into that?”

I sighed. “Sky, you know this is going to cost a lot. Und no, tech solutions won't work as I don’t know how to work them.”

“It’s not going to cost me one bit,” Sky said with an eye roll. “Arcane it is. I’ll machine it, and Anya can enchant it. She’s better at pure magic than I am. I mean, duh. I don’t have a horn,” Sky rambled tapping pencil to paper in eagerness to continue notetaking.

“... I don’t believe you understand,” I said after a second of silence.

“Sure I do. You need precision equipment to assist in a delicate task,” Sky said with a confused frown.

“Ja, I do! Und the crystals alone should cost upwards of six thousand bits! I don’t care how you are planning on financing this, my own business plans allow for five years of customers before I get any proper equipment at all!” I exclaimed. “I don’t want to bankrupt you or anypony else to get it done now!”

Sky took a deep breath, letting it all out through his nostrils. “Hokay…” He said standing up on his rear legs before turning to push his cutiemark directly into my face! “Do you see the assmarkage?” He demanded.

There was no way to not see it. The wrench and crossed soldering iron beneath what looked like a tech based light gem almost filled my entire field of view! I nodded, "Ja."

“I am an inventor!” Sky exclaimed sitting back down with a loud thump. “I’m fifty two years old-”

“Fifty three.” Pinkie objected without looking up.

“Not for two months I’m not!” Sky said without missing a beat. “Look lil bro, I’ve had a whole youth to get established and set up. I’m a dual citizen, Equestria by marriage, Emerald Hive by birth. Do you know what I do for a living? I’m the Chief Engineer of a tech based changeling hive.

“If I want something, I literally go to my boss with a list of materials, and I get those materials. No questions asked. You know why? Because I keep the lights on, the heat up, the hydroponics running, and pretty much everything else that isn’t magically powered. I know you’ve seen the hive, but it’s way bigger than you think it is, we have a TON of industry down there.

“How much? Well, we are still Equestria’s number one supplier of refined materials, and ponies are looking into working out a teleport system to get trade flowing even faster. You need stuff? No bucking problem, I tell my boss I made some medical equipmentment for Equestria, boom, we get refunded the raw materials. That, or we produce them on site. Price. Isn’t a bucking. Problem!”

“Oh…” I said, ears drooping in embarrassment. “But I don’t want to inconvenience yo-”

“Oh. My. Luna!” Sky groaned, face thumping into the table. “I can’t even… Azur, I’m the you of technology! You do stuff most think is impossible with biology, I do the same but with technology. I’m a technomancer. My half breed status has my magic all bucked to hell! If I can imagine it, I can build it, and I can make it work like a normal pegasi would make a raincloud. Honestly, that’s why I decided to be more brotherly towards you in the first place. We got a nice ‘same coin different sides’ thing going on.

“Want to know how much trouble one clinic of medical stuff will bother me? I’m actually banned from doing independent contracting in Equestria. Celestia’s orders. Why? I collapsed their entire steel industry in a single year. Stallion who owned the Haymbridge Mining Company asked me to automate whatever I could of their operation five years ago. One year of work, entire mining and smelting operation fully automated, no pony labor required, everything working in near-perfect efficiency.

“Did such a good job that nobody can sell steel anymore. It’s literally free. I personally ensured that twenty thousand miners had to change jobs, and drove an entire sector of the economy into the dirt. There’s only one company selling steel anymore, but it’s got nothing but worthless material to sell because the supply is effectively infinite.

“Did I know that would happen? Yes. Did I do the work anyways? Of course. Why? Because I can, and because the world is honestly better off now.

“Blacksmithing is making a comeback because anypony can just get basic metals to work with for only the cost to transport them, meaning more ponies can work doing what they love and almost everypony can get cool custom metalwork. All buildings can have steel frames and reinforcements making all new buildings safer. All because I tricked a greedy CEO into making his product worthless just to spite that motherbucker!

“So don’t you dare tell me that a few gizmos for a clinic my kid brother operates is an ‘inconvenience’! That’s a weekend project for me at best, not a job. All it’s going to take from me is my time, and guess what? I have as much of that as I want. Because science! Rant over!”

“Oh,” I said.

And that’s all I could say, just, oh.

“Now there’s something else I really think you should know. You’re getting some nice medical things whether you like it or not!” Sky said, verbally putting his hoof firmly down. “So, what do you need? Hell, what would you just like? I’m setting my little bro up so one day he and I can build an even better world for all Equinity. You get the squishy meatbags, I’ll get the clunky whirry boxes.”

It was impossible for me to argue with that.

Giving Sky a nod of understanding, I closed my eyes and did my best to recall every detail about the equipment I had used in college. “Well, we got the sequencer. We will also need a plasmid breeder. It’s got to be self sustaining, harvesting plasmids from individual bacterium is very labor intensive. It will need…”

Scootaloo - 11th of Midsummer ‘15 EoH - Noon

When your two best friends in the world come over and demand you talk about your latest special somepony, there isn’t much else you can do other than put on some tea and talk.

Personally, I hate tea. I’m a coffee kind of mare. But Sweetie and Bloom were always tea lovers, and forget make two kinds of drinks. Especially when you’re going to have to be talking about your personal life.

“Alright,” I said setting the tray of tea down on my dinner table and taking a seat facing my two friends, “start the questionathon.”

“I sort of figured you would fall for… him right?” Applebloom asked with a small frown.

“Yeah, he’s a guy,” I replied evenly.

“Okay, well,” AB resumed, “I figured you would fall for him, since he fixed your wings and all. But you’re sticking with him for more than a week. No offense but most of your other ‘colt friends’ were one night stands-”

“Well yeah,” I said rolling my eyes a bit. “I’m sexually attracted to stallions, but not romantically attracted to them… So after a good rutting it feels… over.”

She nodded along with Sweetie Belle. Belle gave me a slim smile. “Do you think that Lily will be any different?”

I nodded quickly. “Oh totally! I actually enjoy spending time with him… Sorry for vanishing for all of last week on you guys. But well… He feels like a mare, when you are just hanging out. It’s like dating a pony with both genders, only the female bits are thoughts and actions instead of biology… Also Lily isn’t a total ass.”

Ugh. My first special somepony was the biggest jerk ever. ‘She’ nearly ruined all intersex people for me, regardless of species. Talk about a toxic relationship!

“Humm… So then you two haven’t had any fun yet?” AB asked with a look of concern. “I don’t mean to be rude, but I’m tired of watching you go through breakup after breakup. It would be nice if you could have a relationship last for more than six months.”

“Lily is different,” I said as honestly as I could manage. “He gave me my wings, it’s not like I’ll ever stop appreciating the gift of flight. But, well, there’s more than that. He’s a genuinely nice pony who wants to help. That’s a very endearing trait. He didn’t decide to help me because he thought I was hot or anything, he just did. Because a flightless pegasus didn’t jive with him and he could help.”

“Yeah, that is entirely different from the usual ponies you date,” Belle chuckled. “Remember Swift Star?”

Everypony groaned, flinching instantly.

“Oh Celestia!” I moaned holding my head in my hooves. “Why did I ever think that speaking in movie-version old Equish was even remotely romantic?”

“Because she has great eyes,” AB said honestly.

Belle gave her a suspicious look, to which Applebloom laughed. “Oh hay no! Not with a ten foot pole, and not even if you asked me to! I’m just saying, her eyes are like looking into a vat of caramel.”

Belle nodded. “That’s true… You’re not into Lily because of his accent are you?”

I gave them a nervous smile. “Well… A little yes. But mostly it’s because we’re a lot alike. Both of our early lives sucked, and we both laugh to get over it.”

“He can’t possibly have been as bad off as you were though… I remember thinking you were joking when you said you slept in an ally under Rainbow Dash’s house,” AB mused.

I took a sip of the tea, pretending to like it to be social, like I always did. “I don’t know if he ever ran away or was homeless. But I do know that his dad tore out one of his eyes.”

I paused long enough to watch my friend’s ears stand up and eyes widen in horror.

“So our parents were on par with each other,” I added once the point sunk home.

“Which eye is the glass one?” Belle asked after a few moments. “They look very real!”

AB gave her the ‘why did I marry you?’ look any loving pony gives their spouse after they said something stupid. “He fixed Scoots wings. You don’t think he just fixed his own eye?”

“It’s the right,” I answered, just to throw AB off her game.

“Wait, he DIDN’T heal his own eye?” She asked, almost spilling her tea in surprise.

“Oh no, he did, but the right one isn’t actually blue. It’s green. But Lily can’t make it blue for some reason, so he uses a contact,” I explained.

“He can make you fly, but he can’t turn his own eye blue?” Belle mused to herself. “Weird. There’s got to be a reason for that.”

“If there is, he doesn't know it,” I said.

The instant I finished talking AB suddenly blurted, “what about those piercings though?”

Ah ha! That was it. They saw the piercings and thought I was dating him for kink reasons.

“For the record, what I may or may not be into is none of your business… Unless you're open to doing the herd thing now,” I said firmly.

“No,” Belle said gently holding up a hoof.

“Yeah… Sorry but… That felt weird when we tried that,” AB apologized.

“Well yeah, I mean, it’s an orientation. Either your want multiple lovers or you don’t. You can’t force it,” I dismissed. “But back on point, while I know how to use those piercings of his, he didn’t get them for that.

“Apparently he got them while drunk and his friend David, a doctor, refused to take them out because he didn’t want to touch another guy’s junk unless it was medically necessary, and also well, you know how it takes months to heal those up. You don’t want an infe-”

I frowned to myself. “Wait, if he got an infection, he could just fix that.”

“He does seem to be a bit of a derp,” AB giggled. “But in a cute way.”

“That or he wanted them on some level,” Belle mused, looking about half a second from going full Psychology Major.

“Yeah, maybe, but anyways, he keeps them because he claims it feels more comfortable. Also the poor colt has this thing where he wants to look and act female but be called male. So I guess the female styled piercings help with that.”

“Huh… You seem to be pretty happy with Lily,” Belle said thoughtfully, sipping her tea.

“Yeah. I am,” I said truthfully, giving her a smile. “This is different. I don’t feel the urge to also search for someone else as strong as I normally do, I’m completely happy spending time with him, he satisfies the part of me that likes colts and the part that likes mares… I think I could be happy with just Lily for a long time.”

“You’re that sure after only knowing him for two weeks?” AB asked, eyes widening slightly.

“Oh no!” I laughed. “I’m not thinking of proposing or anything, but I am definitely am going to keep dating him for as long as he likes.”

“Isn’t it weird though?” Belle asked looking at me in an odd sort of way. “I mean, you drug me to those LGBTH clubs with you. Your little community is all about ‘Herders are an orientation’, but you seem totally cool with just having Lily.”

“No it’s not weird,” I answered honestly. “Orientations are just your ‘normal’. Everypony has exceptions to their orientation. That doesn't mean they are not normally a certain way. You can’t pin a label to anypony and have it fit perfectly all the time. We’re too complicated for that.

“Maybe his sort of presenting as two genders fills that niche for me. Maybe he’s just such a good match that I don’t care. Whatever the circumstance, I’m pretty sure that I could happily be with just him… Doesn't mean I wouldn’t also like another pony just as kind and cute to be with us too.”

“I guess that makes sense,” Belle said, giving me a satisfied nod. “I always did think that orientations were kind of silly.”

“Yeah, but you don’t find a pony’s plumbing important at all,” AB objected. “I remember you said you’d want to marry me no matter what I was. You just have no preference there. I on the other hoof, kinda get grossed out thinking about colts. So yeah, definitely a complicated issue.”

“Which is why I keep saying we should get Twilight to update the sex-ed curriculum to cover orientations other than the standard three,” I agreed. “But were off topic, I believe you were evaluating my choice of special somepony.”

“Oh no,” Belle said giving me a gentle dismissive hoof wave. “We’re done with that.”

“Yeah, you definitely actually love him,” AB agreed. “Everypony else you’ve dated you went on and on about how hot they were, Lily, you call sweet and talk about stuff you have in common. That’s love. We’re done here.”

Huh… Was it actually as simple as that? I guess I could see my friends as experts. They had been in love since middle school, and stayed faithful until today as far as I knew. Heck, their parents had been planning their wedding years before they were legally old enough to marry.

Yeah, they definitely knew what they were talking about.

“Huh… So this is actual love,” I said to myself. “No wonder changelings like it.”

Everypony’s heads turned as three gentle knocks echoed from the door. Odd, as I wasn’t expecting to see anypony else today.

“Hold on,” I said, getting up to get the door.

As I reached the door and pulled it open, I instantly smiled, spotting the familiar white, yellow and blue colt I understood I’d come to love.

“Hallo, uh… So… I forgot that I hadn’t bought groceries, and I spent the week’s budget to get a sign for the clinic… Could I have a sandwich or something?” Lily asked adding quickly. “Or if not, could we talk for a little bit?”

“Sure! I’ll happily make you something. Why didn’t you say anything sooner? Just stop by for meals till you get paid next week,” I said standing aside so he could trot in.

As I moved I noticed AB give Belle a look of ‘We should give them space.’

“Oh, hi… Applebloom und Sweetie Belle, right?” Lily said as he noticed the two.

“Yep! Don’t mind us we were just going,” Belle said cheerfully, standing up along with Applebloom. “See you later Scoots!”

Normally, I’d have told them to stay, but Brook was out today, and well, my coltfriend was here and hungry and cute… “Yeah, I’ll see you girls later,” I said happily.

“I hope I didn’t interrupt anything,” Lily remarked, looking at the tea set out on the table.

“No, just some tea. We do this all the time,” AB said as she let Belle trott outside in front of her, “Oh but, Lily…”

“Yes?” He asked with a curious frown at her negative tone.

AB opened her mouth to say something, only for her face to melt into an expression of pure horror midway through as she clearly forgot what she was going to say. “Uh… Um… Something something something be nice to Scoots or vague threat?” She finally said, instantly blushing in embarrassment.

Lily smiled, raising a hoof to suppress a laugh. “I understand. Don’t worry, I’d feel horrible if I ever did that.”

“Good!” Applebloom exclaimed, quickly zipping out the door and closing it behind her.

“You seem to have good friends,” Lily chuckled. “I’m serious though, I’d feel horrible if I did anything to hurt you… We should talk sometime, work out subjects or actions to avoid with one another.”

“That’s not a bad idea,” I agreed. “But first, sandwhich.”

“Yes, sandwhich!” He agreed with a happy smile. “Sky und Pinkie took me to breakfast just after sunrise… They are still at my clinic measuring things. Sky offered to help with equipment, und apparently that means he needs measurements und blueprints.”

I nodded and trotted into the kitchen, purposefully accentuating my step to try and do a sexy walk. “Needed to get away from them? I get it, they can be a hooffull.”

“Ja, totally,” Lily agreed. “Oh, und your normal walk is sexier.”

I laughed and started to take sandwhich stuff from the cupboards. “I’ll keep that in mind! Speaking of minds, what’s on yours? I imagine you're excited for the new equipment and all the cool things you probably can do with it.”

Lily paused for a moment, then slowly nodded. “Ja, there is plenty I’d like to do, but it will have to wait… Twilight requested I well… There’s a problem. I don’t know if I’m allowed to talk about it.”

A problem? I frowned and turned to look over my shoulder. “Something related to yesterday’s attack?”

Lily nodded. “Yes. Twilight wants me to do my best to enhance a few ponies to help around Ponyville. I don’t know what to do yet. I have a month though, I’m sure I’ll think of something. Probably not until I find a volunteer though.”

“Wait,” I said eagerly, “Princess Twilight literally ordered you to make heroes to protect Ponyville?”

“Ja, you could put it like that,” Lily agreed.

I couldn’t help but smile. Ever since I’d seen Rainbow Dash saving the world as a filly, I’d wanted to do the same thing. I could fly now, almost as fast as Dash could even. Hay, I was apparently a wiz with lightning!

“Well, you have one volunteer!” I said proudly. “I’ve always wanted to help protect my home.”

“Oh, nein, nein, nein!” Lily sputtered, waving a hoof urgently. “I can’t work on you again so soon! There’s the can-”

“Oh please,” I interrupted. “you could just cure it!”

Lily paused, bit his lip and nodded. “Ja… I could, if I caught it before it spread too far. Cancer is… Hard to treat, even with biomancy. I hear necromancers can cure it without a problem, but well, I do not know more than a few spells to reverse rot.”

I triple blinked. “Germany dosen’t ban necromancy?”

“Nein. It’s highly regulated, und only really used for niche medical und archeological purposes. But that’s neither here nor there,” Lily sighed.

“So, you could definitely cure any cancer if you caught it early? How early?” I asked.

“Within two weeks of it having occurred.” He responded, before his ears drooped instantly, “You’re going to say I can just check you weekly, aren’t you.”

I nodded. “Yeah.”

I gave him a no nonsense smile. “Come on, I can call do some amazing lightning as is! All we need to do is work out a way for me to do it safely. It can’t possible be too big a change, and I trust you. You can do this.”

“Ja, I can, but that doesn't mean I should,” Lily said, shuffling his hooves nervously.

I sighed and gently lifted his chin with a hoof so I could look into his eyes. “Dear, my moms are two of Equestria’s greatest heroes. It would mean the world to them, and also me, if I could live up to even half of their legacy. I understand the risks, and I’ll understand if you say no, but I know you could do it if you tried, and I want you to do it.”

More importantly, if I could stand on my own as one of Equestria’s heroes. If anything happened to Lily, I could personally make sure he survived, and beat that darkness back into whatever crack in Tartarus it crawled from.

“Ah scheiße…” Lily sighed, ears drooping slightly. “Alright… But I’ll only try to work on improving your weather control, und only if you let me check your health daily for four months!”

“Daily?” I asked raising an eyebrow. “Were you understating the danger?”

“Nein… I … I just really don’t want to hurt you. You promise you will let me check daily?” Lily pleaded, genuine fear in his eyes.

I felt my heart flutter. He loved me. The same way I did him.

“I promise, you can check anytime you feel worried even, not just daily.” I said, leaning down to give him a kiss on the nose. “Thank you.”

“I love you,” He said shyly as I pulled back to return to sandwich making.

“I love you too dear,” I replied happily. “Now, let’s get you a sandwich.”