• Published 4th Feb 2016
  • 7,749 Views, 152 Comments

The Pantheon - Pylon Constructor



A guy meets a bum at a bus stop. The bum offered to turn him into whatever he dreamed to be at a small price. The man didn't believe him and jokingly said Zeus. Now, in modern times, the man rules the world, and things seem like a Percy Jackson book.

  • ...
16
 152
 7,749

8. I Get a Quest

I was proven right, the very next day when I was called to the Big House, Chiron wanted to discuss something with me. At the time, I had no idea what I was about to get myself into and honestly, I almost wished I hadn’t gone through with it. But I can’t change the past, so no crying and no spilled milk right?

It was the early afternoon, right after lunch, when one of the nymphs came by to get me. I was busy exploring my new cabin, trying to get a feel of it. I should’ve done it yesterday, but the way everyone suddenly started acting around me got on my nerves. They tiptoed around me like I was some sort of active minefield that was only a second away from blowing up in their faces. That night I threw myself down on my bed in a huff, like some sort of drama queen, without even looking at my cabin and fell asleep not long after that.

Honestly, despite the dreary emptiness of it, the cabin itself was actually kind of nice. Sure it could use some posters here and there, and some instruments to liven the place up, but all in all I liked it. Except for the loneliness, that sucked. The large bronze doors even had holographic lightning patterns on it and no matter where you stood, you could always see them straight at you. But the statue, of who I could only guess was my father, that stood right in front of the entrance of the cabin was a tad tacky. The eyes almost seemed like they were following you, and that wasn’t as cool as the doors, just creepy.

But anyway, the nymph led me from my cabin to the big blue house, telling me that Chiron’s office was the third door on the right in the hallway. I said my thanks to her and watched as she skipped down to the volleyball net to play with a bunch of older kids. I turned my head to the house in front of me and stepped up the stairs, pushing the front door in and clicking it closed behind me.

I silently walked down the hallway, trying my best to not barf at the terrible music being softly played by a cd player in the living room. I eventually made it to the door the nymph told me about, I was about to knock until I heard voices coming from the room. One was Chiron’s and the other was someone new. I admit I felt a little guilty at eavesdropping, but my curiosity won me over.

“-the current situation. Right now things have settled down, but it won’t be long before they are back at each other’s throats,” the new voice said.

I could barely hear Chiron’s sigh, it must’ve been soft, “That is grave news my Lord. Is there really nothing you can do? To be sent on a quest so young and inexperienced, I fear for poor Rainbow’s sake.”

Now that got my attention, nothing like someone having a secret conversation about you with someone you don’t even know behind your back. I leaned in, my ear squashed flat against the door.

I didn’t know what the other guy did, but from the tone of his voice I could guess he might have shook his head no, “I’m afraid not. I can buy some time at most, but if something isn’t done quickly then war between the gods will break out.”

“Very well, I’ll-” Whatever he was going to say was cut off by the ringtone of a phone going off. “Oh! My apologies my Lord, may I?”

“Go ahead, I think I know who that is.”

“Hello? Ah, Sweet Juice, I was just about to call you,” He paused, likely the other person on the phone. “I see, I’d say good timing but I’m sure there are other forces that are bringing you here today,” Another pause. “Good good, the borders are always open to you. See you shortly. Sorry about that my Lord.”

I could hear the other guy mumbling to someone else, but couldn’t hear what he was saying. Judging by the raise in his voice he seemed to address Chiron now, “I can give you a week before the infighting becomes real. After that I don’t know if completing the quest will guarantee peace.”

Chiron sighed, much more audible now, “I see, very well. Thank you for buying time at the very least.”

“Before Rainbow heads off on her quest, try to help her choose some good companions. My daughter will need all the protection she can get.”

Wait, what?

“Of course,” Chiron said. Just as he was saying those words I burst through the door, Chiron, who had his horse half inside some sort of wheelchair, looked at me stunned as his hand waved through some rainbowy mist. I caught the barest glimpse of what I could guess was my father’s face. Black hair that reached his shoulders, a trimmed beard, and electric blue eyes that seemed to dance with lighting staring at me as the image slowly dissolved before my own eyes.

“Just how long have you been there child? And how much did you hear?” Chiron sternly asked in a way that felt like I was about to be punished by a teacher at school.

I straightened up, looking off to the side, anywhere but at his face. “Not much, nothing really,” I said, lying through my teeth.

Chiron sighed and rolled himself in front of me, “When someone looks off to the side and refuses to look into the eyes of the person they are speaking to, they are usually lying. Rainbow, please tell me the truth.”

He stared at me, almost like he could look through my soul. But I knew that wasn’t possible, he was just a centaur. I gave up trying to avoid any punishment from eavesdropping and told Chiron all that I heard. It wasn’t much, I just got here.

Chiron nodded, finding everything satisfactory. “While not the best way of breaking the news to you, we must work with what we have.” He gestured to a chair and rolled himself in front of it, taking the hint I sat down in the offered seat. Chiron rubbed his bearded jaw and continued, “Your father wants you to be the one to lead a quest.”

“A quest?” I echoed.

Chiron nodded, “Indeed, although I must ask if you are going to accept it before I tell you the details surrounding its nature.”

“Why’s that? Shouldn’t I take all the information before deciding?” I questioned Chiron, he shook his head.

“I’m afraid not, the situation will weigh too heavily on your decision. It is better to accept it now and learn later,” Chiron replied.

That kinda annoyed me, but in some weird way it almost made sense. Didn’t mean I had to like it. “But why did… my father, ask for me specifically? Why not all the other campers, who’ve spent more than a week here at camp!”

He shrugged, “I’m afraid I can’t answer that as I do not have access to Zeus’s mind. But there has to be some reason he asked for you, after all, children of the Big Three are very powerful individuals. Many makeup history’s greatest people, perhaps he thinks you are one of them.”

I briefly entertained the thought that he was trying to butter me up, but the look in his eyes told me a different story. He was being serious. I grunted in acknowledgment, “Fine, I’ll accept the quest.”

Chiron smiled at me and leaned back in his wheelchair, “Wonderful, then it is time you learned of the situation going on while we wait for the Oracle to arrive at camp.”

“The Oracle? Is that that Sweet Juice person?” I asked.

Chiron smiled at me, like he was proud I pieced that together, “Indeed, she is the current maiden that has been imbued with the spirit of the Oracle of Delphi. In fact, she has been the bearer of that title for the past sixty years. Strange that the time to pass it on to someone younger hasn’t arrived yet, but I’m certain that time will come.”

I couldn’t imagine what having some sort of spirit possessing me would be like. But I ignored those thoughts and listened to Chiron speak, “But as I was saying, the situation up in Olympus is less than desirable. A sacred parliament of Athena has been slaughtered and two of its remaining owls were stolen, bound in golden rope and carted off Olympus without anyone the wiser. Until the tape taken by the security cameras Hephaestus put up were brought out.”

Didn’t realise the gods used modern technology up in their magic kingdom in the sky, but something else bothered me. “How did someone managed to sneak into a place that has tons of actual gods there, kill a bunch of owls, and steal a few without being caught by someone other than cameras?”

Chiron pointed a finger at me, “Quite the question isn’t it. Another question is why would the assailant use a favorite sword owned by Ares, one of Athena’s rivals, and leave it in the crime scene, stuck into the body of one of Athena’s owls?” Chiron placed his hands in his fake lap, “Tempers are very easy to explode in Olympus. Athena took this as Ares insulting her and blamed him for the misdeed, saying he must have used an accomplice because he is too much of a coward to do anything himself.”

“I take it Ares didn’t take that too well?” I guess.

Chiron nodded, “Indeed. He called her a few names that I shan't repeat in public, and then the whole thing devolved into mindless quarreling. A first it was just arguing over who did it and who did not, after that other gods started to slowly take sides and bring their own opinions into it. And that’s never a good thing, Poseidon himself hates Athena and was one of the first to side with Ares. Zeus has tried to maintain order, keep things from progressing to all out warfare, but he has had little luck recently. If things are not settled within the week’s timeframe that has been given, war between the gods will happen.”

“And that is massively bad,” I stated, Chiron only giving me a grave nod as an answer. That didn’t lift my spirits.

Our depressing conversation ended with a pleasant double beep of a car’s horn just outside the Big House.

“Ah, that would be Sweet Juice,” he started wheeling himself out of the room. “Come Rainbow, no time to waste. You need to hurry. We can pick your two companions for the quest and pack up once you receive your prophecy.”

I followed Chiron out of the building, once outside I stood on the porch next to him. An old blue camaro was parked in front of the building, and stepping out of it was an old woman with her hair tied up in a grey bun and large comical sunglasses were on her face.

She grinned widely when she saw Chiron, holding her arms widely to the sides like she was about to hug the air in front of her as she denied her age and practically sprinted to us. “Chiron you old centaur! It has been too long.” And she did hug Chiron as she got near, Chiron returning the hug with a smile.

Chiron chuckled, “A good six months can seem like forever in this kind of life. How have you been Sweet?”

Sweet released the hug and winked at him, “Absolutely grand, still feel like I’m in my twenties.” She seemed to finally notice me, “And who is this pretty thing?”

I blushed as she inspected me, dipping her glasses down her nose.

She ran a finger through my hair, “And such lovely hair too. I bet all the boys are all over you.”

I snorted and rolled my eyes, as Chiron decided to interrupt, “While I don’t want to interrupt, I’m afraid we don’t have much time. Rainbow here needs a quest.”

Sweet straightened up, her serious demeanor a contrast to her previous easygoing self, “Right, I had a feeling I needed to be here today. Dropped everything and came here as quickly as I could. Just let me have a seat,” she looked at me after sitting in one of the porch chairs. “Ask away.”

I looked at Chiron nervously, he smiled gently and waved me forward. Gulping, I steeled myself and walked up to Sweet, “What do I need to do?”

I was not prepared for her eyes to brightly glow green, she lurched back as the green glowed even brighter before her mouth moved and she spoke in an ancient and echoey voice.

“Your journey is south and west,
To release what’s stolen is your test,
In the Meadow City reunion is key,
Return what was stolen to let disputes be.”

Sweet gasped and lurched forward as the prophecy came to its conclusion. “Still not used to that,” she muttered as she cracked her neck.

“So, that’s it?” I asked, looking at Chiron.

“Not quite. Now you must choose two companions for your quest, three is a sacred number and anything more or less can potentially spell disaster for heroes. I can find two people who I believe can aid you greatly if you wish.” At my nod, as I didn’t really know anyone else good enough to judge well, he continued, “I will also give you some money from the camp store and some drachmas for any kind of godly transaction. For now, try and pack up any essentials you might need. We can work on where to go once you are ready.”

I didn’t know what kind of godly transaction I could do, but I nodded along with what he was saying. Chiron lifted himself out of his wheelchair, and it was a little freaky seeing him whole horse body come out of that tiny chair. After making sure Sweet was fine, and she herself waving him off and shooing him away, he hurriedly trotted off to some section of the camp. I simply said my goodbyes to the old woman and jogged over to my cabin and pushed the doors in.

I sighed when I felt the cool air of my cabin, ignoring the staring statue of my father, I didn’t even know where to begin or what to do. I didn’t even own an actual weapon that wasn’t a camp stock item. I made my way over to my bed, but something was different. I looked down and saw two colorful wrist bands on my pillow, along with a small tan paper package and a note.

I picked up the note and read:

The left wristband is your shield, the right is your spear. Just snap them against your wrist and they will appear in your hands. The package is there if you really need it, I don’t recommend you open it unless you really do. I hope these gifts serve you well daughter.

With love,
-Zeus

I set the note down, stunned that I received a gift from my father. I licked my lips as I picked up the shield wristband, experimentally putting it on my wrist. It felt good to have on, like really good. I snapped it against my wrist and sure enough a large, round, bronze shield morphed onto my arm from the colorful band. After I finished inspecting it I quickly shoved the other wristband on my right wrist and snapped it. A spear morphed into placed in the palm of my hand, the bronze tip gleamed brightly as it reflected the light in the cabin.

I couldn’t help but grin, both the shield and the spear felt perfect in my hands. Like they were built specifically for me, and they probably were. At least I know my father hasn’t forgotten about me.

“Thanks dad,” I muttered to the statue in front of the doors, suddenly I didn’t feel so creeped out by it.

Author's Note:

Ah, the smell of things picking up.