• Published 29th Jan 2016
  • 9,753 Views, 40 Comments

Can We Be Friends Again? - Just A Random Pegasus



It's been a long time since you and Rainbow Dash had stopped talking. Now, she has an important question to ask you.

  • ...
18
 40
 9,753

Can We?

"Bye!" You wave to your friends as you descend the stairs of Canterlot High. The afternoon sun warms you up, and a smile reaches its way onto your face. It's about a month away to summer break, and you can hardly wait.

Your footsteps seem lighter than air as you pass by the horse statue, or, as some say, a magical portal. It had taken you a while to grasp it, but magic had come into your world before. Even though you weren't sure about it and still don't know anything about the other world, you still have a waning desire to visit the strange land.

As you walk away from the school, you turned your head to find an all-to-familiar rainbow-haired girl looking at you, her magenta eyes wide. You didn't know what to do, so you stayed frozen. Your mind was telling you to continue walking like you saw nothing, but your legs wouldn't cooperate.

Memories now start to flow your mind like crazy.


It was a nice spring day, and you were enjoying the warmth of the sun. After stepping out of school, you heard a voice.

"Hey! Anon!" You looked over to see Rainbow Dash approaching you, her face flustered as ever. You waved to her.

"Hey, Rainbow Dash! What's up?" You asked as you saw her nervously glance around, now tugging at her hair.

"Uh... can I tell you something?" She replied, her eyes now filling with nervousness. This was the first time you had ever seen the girl this flustered and nervous.

"Sure! I'm all ears," you replied, giving her a smile. You had no idea what she was going to say at the time, but you knew it had to be something important.

Rainbow looked around nervously once again, refusing to meet your glance. "Well... you see... I'm... I'm in love... I'm in love with you."

When hearing this, it felt like your jaw had touched the ground. Rainbow? In love with you? This was the first time anyone had confessed to you like this. Naturally, you felt blood rush to your cheeks. Rainbow had met your glance by now, and was waiting for a reaction.

"Uh..." you started, finding it impossible to say what was on your mind.

"Well... yeah... I was also wondering if you wanted to... I don't know... go out sometime?" She asked, her eyes filled with hope.

Those words really blew you away. She wanted to take you out?! You didn't know how to respond to this. You didn't share the same feelings.

"Uh... well... I'm sorry, but... n-no..." you replied as you glanced away, afraid to see the heartbreak on her face.

"Oh... I-I see..."

You turned to find her back facing you, and her starting to walk away. "I-I'll see you around, Anon," she added on, heartbreak clearly in her voice.

You stood in silence for a moment as you watched her walk away, a bad feeling in your heart. After a few minutes of thinking, you realized what you should do.

Ignore her. She could come over to you and try to win your heart at any time now. That was not what you wanted. Also, you were afraid of accidentally saying something that breaks her heart even more. This way, you and Rainbow could have a pain-free time...


After you finish replaying the memories in your head, you find that Rainbow Dash is walking up to you. Your mind races again at the sight of her approaching form. You have a pretty strong feeling that she would ask you out again. She just seems like a very persistent girl. It had been a year since you rejected her, but knowing Rainbow, she could hold onto something for a while. She is now a few feet away from you and looking down to the ground; seeming like she is afraid to meet your glance.

"H-hey," she stutters as her cheeks turn a very light shade of red.

"Hi." You respond as you saw her nervously glance around. Rainbow looked like she was about to say something for a moment, but you think she got choked up on her words. You decide to end this awkwardness.

"So... what's up?" You ask as you see her glance fixate on your eyes. Her normally spunky, happy, determined glance soon fell to a look of sadness and pain. She let out a sigh before trying to speak again.

"Anon? May I ask you a question?" She asks as she flips a bit of her hair out of her face.

You hesitantly nod. "Sure?" You reply. You know what's coming. A bad feeling settled deep in the pits of your stomach. She was going to ask you out again. You would have to break her heart again. You had never seen Rainbow cry, and you don't want now to be your first time.

Rainbow let out a small breath before continuing in a small, nervous voice. "Can we..."

Go out. She's going to ask me out... you thought, coming up with a response in your mind. You try to think of the response that would cause the least amount of pain.

"Can we... maybe... be friends again?"

That certainly wasn't the question you were expecting. She didn't want anymore than friends. As that thought raced through your head, you felt a small dagger of pain stab you through the heart. You don't know why; you just feel a bit depressed. You shake it off, thinking that it is probably because the one time you could actually give her a pain-free response, she doesn't ask you out.

Rainbow sighed. "Look, I know you're upset. I've just... missed you." Her eyes went wide as she realized those words could have been misinterpreted. "Uh... not in the romantic way... but just in the... friend way."

You listen to her words before raising an eyebrow. "Rainbow, I thought we were friends!" You say as she gives you a small glare. It even looks like tears are starting to well up in her eyes.

"Well, then why did you ignore me?! Why did you leave me in the dust like that?!" She pauses for a moment, wiping her damp eyes. "I poured my heart out to you, and you just abandoned me like I turned into a monster and destroyed the school!" She finished. She now turns her head away. Even with that effort of hiding her face, you can still tell that she's sobbing. You feel a wave of guilt wash over you. Rainbow Dash, the toughest girl in school, is breaking down in front of you. And it's all your fault.

Instinctively, you reach an arm out and grab onto her shoulder, hoping to calm her down. She now turns to you, giving a teary glance. Seeing those eyes filled with pain just makes you hurt more. Part of you just wanted to wrap her up in a hug and calm her. But, you know that would be super awkward.

"Rainbow... I'm... I'm sorry. I just thought... well... it would be best for the both of us if I stayed away for a while. I... didn't want to accidentally say something to break your heart."

Rainbow's glare grew stricter. "Oh, and like ignoring me would make me feel better!"

At these words, you felt like the biggest idiot on the planet. No, the biggest idiot in the universe. Your reasoning for ignoring her sounded so stupid when they were voiced. You had to make this up to her. You just had to.

"Uh... look... I'm sorry, Rainbow. I... well... didn't realize what I was doing..." you look up into her eyes, which were now tear-free. "Okay. We can be friends." Even after saying that, a part of you didn't feel like it was enough. "Do you... maybe... want to come over to my place? Maybe we can go over each other's lives."

At these words, Rainbow brightly smiles. You don't know why, but her smile instantly made you happy as well. You assume it's just because you're glad you made up months of heartbreak.

Rainbow nods her head. "S-sure. I'm sure we have a bit of catching up to do."


You bring in a plate of nachos from the kitchen for you and Rainbow to snack on. When you walk in your bedroom, you see her sitting up on the floor, smiling at you. You put the plate in front of her and sit down next to her. For some reason, you feel a strong urge to scoot closer to her. You then come to the assumption that you're just happy you two could be close friends again.

"So... what's been happening?" Rainbow asks as she eats a chip in front of her.

"Not much. I've been playing sports, hanging with friends, and all that jazz," you reply as you eat a chip, welcoming its flavor.

Rainbow nods her head. "I saw you play soccer last week with your friends. You've gotten really good."

You feel your cheeks grow warm at that complement. "Uh... t-thanks."

"No problem!" Rainbow replies as she looks into your eyes. You look back into hers; the amethysts that brighten up your world at the moment. You feel your heart race and blood rush up to your cheeks.

What's happening? That's the main question on your mind right now. After looking at her again, you feel your stomach flutter once more. In just a few seconds, your brain processes what this all is.

Love. You're in love with Rainbow Dash. That's why it's been paining you to see her upset. That's why you were sad that she just wants to be friends. It's because you love her. You feel your mouth go dry and your glance shift everywhere. Rainbow seems to take notice of this.

"Anon? What's wrong?" She asks as you meet her glance. You feel yourself at a loss for words.

"Uh... n-nothing."

Rainbow looks at you in suspicion before taking another chip. As she eats, she takes a look at her watch. Her eyes fill with realization.

"Oh! Anon, I'm sorry, but I forgot!"

You tilt your head, confusion swirling in your mind. "Forgot? Forgot what?"

Rainbow stands up and brushes a few crumbs off of her skirt. "I need to get back home in... like... five minutes!"

You stand up as well. "Oh! I'm sorry for holding you up! Do you want me to drive you home?"

Rainbow shakes her head. "No, I'm fine. My house is pretty close to here." She picks her bags up from the floor. "So... see ya later!"

You nod. "See ya tomorrow!" You reply as she smiles at you. That very smile made the butterflies in your stomach fly at full force. She then turns and leaves your room. After a few seconds, you hear your front door opening and closing.

You sit in silence for a moment as your brain whirls. The only thing on your mind at this moment is Rainbow Dash. You don't know why the love came so suddenly, it just... did. And now, you can't seem to get rid of it.

You now wish you had the guts to tell her that, after a year, you accept the offer of her taking you out. The amount of love for her that you are suddenly feeling is an overload. You just want to find her, pin her to the ground, and passionately kiss her. You spend quite a long time imagining yourself attempting these actions, and Rainbow Dash sharing your passionate love.

Sadly, this is all in your imagination. It would be a long time before you would be ready to make a move like that. You just decide to wait until the time is right.

Comments ( 38 )

wow,
How the tables have turned

Really nice i enjoyed reading it :)

6882903

I doubt I'm going to be making a sequel to this... But I might! It's still undecided. :twilightsmile:

6883079

Thanks! I'm happy you enjoyed! :pinkiehappy:

Don't wait too long dude.

Love this. :rainbowwild:(Changes anon to OCS name)... even better :trollestia:

I like this ending. It's sorta bittersweet.

"I poured my heart out to you, and you just abandoned me like I turned into a monster and destroyed the school!"

like I turned into a monster and destroyed the school!

oh eh, hi Sunset, no offence :rainbowderp:

6888307
no offence to you either twilight :twilightblush:

This ended pretty differently than usual second person romantic fics. I applaud you for doing something unique.

However, I would love to see a sequel. That's up to you though. :twilightsmile:

Welp. I need more of this.

Good story mate. The only criticism I have is that the pacing was a little off. Otherwise, good work.

6904974

Thanks m8!

And thanks for notifying me of that. I'm glad you enjoyed! :twilightsmile:

6882903 gray comes in, " Natsu, stop lighting things on fire, that isn't going to get you a fanfic any faster."

Anon is a freaking idiot. I love Dashie so I'd totally go out with her :rainbowkiss:

Immaturity speaks as loud as teen hormones in this. Anon doesn't know Dash isn't a yo-yo for him to shove away just because he felt like it, and then pick back up when she gets a bit close again.

Kids will be kids, I suppose.

Great fic, although Dash seemed a bit OOC. She seems like the kind of person/pony that would get back up and find someone else to have a crush on. Sure, she could be embarrassed for a while, but not so depressed. Maybe Rarity or Pinkie Pie are like that.

Aside from that, the fic is pretty good, even though it's a tad bit rushed. Upvoted and faved! :pinkiehappy:

Well, this had a great ending.

Love the story! 4 out of 5 moustaches. :moustache: :moustache: :moustache: :moustache:
Might've gotten 5 if Anon was Soarin... just maybe. Seems a little bit rushed; that would've helped it towards the 5 moustache mark. Still love it though!!! :heart:

6985501

Thanks! I appreciate the generous donation of mustaches! :moustache:

needs more of the story or a sequel.

Great, now I have to cry

Karma is a bitch in this story. A bitch.

MORE PLEASE!

where's the rest of it??
This cant be all of it ;-;

SHIT!!!! is that it?!!!!!:facehoof:
this needs to have MOAR!!!!!!!:flutterrage:
woot!:trollestia:

I really liked the story.

Rainbow Dash is 3rd best equestria girl.

7782689

Thank you! I'll put a link to the reading in the description of the story! :pinkiehappy:

You know this could really use a sequel. Just saying.

Dude that hurt my feelings when I read it.😔😩

It cant end like that........ this needs another chapter or a sequel

It ends like that? But we still have a lot of questions:applecry:

This is a great story but I would like to see a sequel to this story :applecry:

Plot twist: turns out after Anon denied her a year ago, she ends up dating Soarin; Those two are happy, but Anon is crushed.

Login or register to comment