• Published 26th Jan 2016
  • 342 Views, 4 Comments

Battle of The Beats - TheDimensionRift



Hoping to make a name for himself and spread his music all over Equestria, Treble pays a visit to his cousin Octavia in Ponyville. After meeting her roommate, Treble declares Vinyl his rival and attempts to beat her in something they both love: Music

  • ...
 4
 342

Chapter 4

“Vinyl, Vinyl get up” Treble said as he gently shook the DJ as she laid in her bed.

“Uh, uh, 5 more minutes,” she replied as she pulled her cover over her head.

“You said that half an hour ago!” Treble now seemed rather annoyed. 'How does Tavia put up with her everyday?’ he thought to himself.

"I told you I wanted to get this thing outta the way as soon as possible, but in order for us to do that you gotta get up, like right now”

“It’s too earlier though”

“It’s 9:00!?”

“Oh yeah, it’s WAAAY too early for me” Vinyl turned her back to Treble as she threw a pillow at him.

Treble caught the pillow with ease and held it in his hooves his face slightly red from anger. He looked at the pillow he held and than back to Vinyl as a dark idea crossed his mind. ‘Besides Octavia, would anypony really notice? He thought to himself as he coldly stared at the pillow. He shook his head quickly pushing the dark thought out of his mind as he came to his senses, ‘Perhaps another time?’

"I didn't want to have to do this Vinyl, but you leave me no choice,"

Treble exited the room and made his way to the living room. He dug threw his bag, then using his horn, he levitated out his Pone Pod. He skipped threw his usual DEATH tracks (Dubstep, Electro, And, Techno, House) until he found his classical tracks. He hooked the pod up to Vinyl's speakers, set the volume on the device to the max, and prepared for what was to come. As soon as he hit play and the violins and strings began, Treble heard a blood curling scream come from Vinyl's room. At the sound of a loud thud, Treble rushed to the room to see if the dj was awake now. When Treble entered the room, he noticed that the unicorn had fallen out of the bed and had her hooves placed over her ears.

"For the love of Celestia, please, make it stop!" Vinyl screamed as she attempted to speak over the music.

"Are you up yet!" Treble yelled back with a evil grin on his face.

"Because if not I have a whole 5 hour playlist I could play until- "

"NO! It's cool, I'm up I promise. Just, please, turn it off!" Vinyl replied still trying to sound louder than the music.

After hearing this, Treble returned to the device and unplugged it from the speakers, causing the once loud house to go silent once more. Vinyl came stumbling out of her room looking rather groggy, she had a look of irratation and annoyance on her face.

"That....was cruel," Vinyl said as she entered the room almost tripping as she walked.

"Well, how does Tavia usually get you up every morning?" Treble asked with a confused expression.

Vinyl began to blush as a look of bliss appeared on Vinyl's face.

"Heh, if you really wanna know..."

"Forget I asked," Treble interrupted quickly before she could say anymore.

"Lets just go already, the sooner we get done the better," he said as he made his way to the front door.


Both the unicorns walked down the streets of Ponyville with their headphones blaring. They both moved rhythmically and bobbed their heads up in down, and though they each had their own pod, it was as off they were both listening to the same song. Their movements seemed to sync with each other perfectly it was almost uncanny.

Their strange movements seemed to draw the eyes of everypony in Ponyville, even a few pegasi that flew over head noticed the two musicians as they continued to their destination. However, one in particular actually came down to say hi to her friend.
A sky blue pegasus descended from the air and landed in front of the two unicorns, when she did, Vinyl and Treble both took their headphones off.

"Wassup DJ?" the pegasus asked as she extended a hoof.

"Rainbow Dash, what's good with ya girl?" Vinyl replied as she connected her hoof with Rainbow's.

"Not much, just out for a morning fly," Rainbow said as she stretched her wings out. She than turned and looked at Treble.

"So who's this?"

"This genius" Vinyl said in a sarcastic tone as she put her hoof around Treble.

"Is Octavia's cousin, he's a musician like us, but he's cooler than she is because he makes music like me,"

"Except for this morning?" Treble teased.

"Except for this morning," Vinyl replied as she tightened her grip around the unicorn.

Rainbow Dash looked at Vinyl and than back at Treble, she began to grin and laughed as she stared at them.

"So, are you guys a thing?" Rainbow Dash asked as she tried to hold in laughter.

Vinyl blushed slightly as she let go of Treble and gave him a shove.

"Um, no, we're not a thing. He's just stayin with me and Tavi till he gets a place of his own, as a matter of fact, we're on our way to town hall right now," Vinyl said with a bit of annoyance in her voice.

"If you wanna hear some real music," Treble said as he looked in Vinyl's direction.

"You'll have to stop by my place when I get settled in. I promise, my music will leave you mind blown,"

"Ya know, I just might," Rainbow began as she gave Treble a look.

"Anyways I gotta jet, I'll see you both around sometime,"

Rainbow Dash took off as quickly as she had appeared leaving Treble and Vinyl alone.

"Real music huh?" Vinyl asked with a laugh.

"Oh Vinyl," Treble began with a grin.

"I may be a huge fan of your work, but let's face facts, I'm the better musician," Treble teased as he gave Vinyl a playful shove.

"Oh yeah? We may just have to see about that,"


The two unicorns stopped at the end of a dirt road which exited into a clearing. The field that the house sat on was of relatively large size. The two musicians removed both their headphones and stared at the home.

“Hey, this place doesn’t look so bad,” Vinyl said as she and Treble approached the house.

“You got some nice land for….” The unicorn paused as she thought for a moment.

“An outside house party?” Treble laughed as he placed the key in the door’s lock and pushed open the door.

The door made a loud creak as it opened slowly and exposed an empty room. There appeared to be a living room to the left and to the right a kitchen area. Straight ahead was a small hallway which Treble assumed led to the bedroom.

“It looked smaller on the outside, but it looks like you’ll have enough room for some furniture and your equipment too,” Vinyl said as she continued straight down the hallway and left Treble in the living room.

“I’ll probably set up some mounted speakers on the corner of the living room, acoustics in here doesn’t sound bad,” Treble said to himself as he drew out an imaginary layout in his head.

“Vinyl do me a favor and try not to break anything, I’m not sure how old this place is,”

Just as he began to say this, Treble heard a crash coming from the bedroom followed by an awkward silence.

“Oops,” Vinyl called out from the back of the home.

“Vinyl what did you do?”

“Let’s just say,” she began with a nervous smile.

“Your gonna need a new sink in your bathroom. Anyways,” the female unicorn said as she attempted to change the subject.

“Congrats, you are now an official resident of Ponyville, and you know what that means?”

Treble looked on at the dj with an expression of confusion as she asked this. Vinyl gave out a sigh and led him out of the house before she continued.

“Come on genius,” she said sarcastically as she grabbed Treble by the hoof.

“We’re going to Sugar Cube Corner, we have welcome party to throw and I know just the mare for the job,”


The unicorns took off their headphones once they entered the pastry shop.

“Huh, that’s funny, she usually here,” Vinyl said as she looked around the room.

“She’s probably in the back, you wait here I’ll be right back,”

Treble watched as the pale unicorn disappeared deeper into the store. He wasn’t exactly sure why they were here, all Vinyl had mentioned to him was throwing a welcome party. As he stood where Vinyl had left him, Treble heard a high pitched gasp from behind him which startled him.

He turned around only to be tackled and sent rolling across the floor. When he managed to focus his sight, he noticed a pink earth pony was on top of him and was staring down at him with excited eyes.

“Oh my gosh are you new to Ponyville? You must be because I know everypony in Ponyville and I’ve never seen you before, and if I’ve never seen you before then that means I don’t know you. And if I don’t know you then I can’t say I know everypony in Ponyville now can I? That’s like trying to say Rainbow Dash can’t do a Sonic Rainboom, even though she can. And if she can then how could I say she can’t? I’m not saying she can’t though I’m just saying-”

“Hey, you found her,” Vinyl interrupted as she returned from the back of the store. When she saw the awkward position Treble was in, Vinyl laughed at him.

“Wow Treble, Octavia never told me you were such a chick magnet,” she teased.

“Oooh I love chicks, oh but I’m not talking about mares though, I only like baby chicken chicks,” the pink pony said.

“Alright Pinkie Pie, let him up,” Vinyl laughed as the pink pony got off of the unicorn.

“So what’s up dj?” Pinkie asked with a smile.

“As you know, my pal Treble here is new to Ponyville,” Vinyl began as she helped Treble up.

“He just recently got a place to stay and now he’s in need of a welcome party,”

Pinkie Pie began jumping up and down as she let out a squeal in her excitable manner.

“I’m on it, I’ll invite everypony in Ponyville and there will be music; and dancing; and cake; and streamers; and balloons; and music!”

“You said music twice,” Treble laughed as he stared at the hyperactive mare.

“I know, if your like dj than I know you’ll want music!”

Treble gave looked over at Vinyl who was staring back at him, it appeared to Treble that the unicorn was thinking the same thing.

“Let us worry about the music,” Vinyl said as she threw a hoof around Treble.

“We’ll bring music that will blow everypony’s mind,”