• Published 31st Jan 2016
  • 849 Views, 2 Comments

Camping is Just Dazzling - Jongoji245



With Camp Friendship around the corner, the Rainbooms offer to invite the Dazzlings over.

  • ...
5
 2
 849

Ain't It?

Author's Note:

Originally, the beginning was to have a detailed explanation about how the Rainbooms convinced the Dazzlings to go camping, adding over 2,253 words more. If this is received well, I could add it as a prologue chapter.

Wednesday, July first, the normally quiet forest area is gradually disturbed by the rumble of car engines and radios.

“‘Cause I like to make you smile, smile, smile” - Pinkie sang as they drove towards their destination - “yes I do. It fills my heart with sunshine all the while, yes it does. ‘Cause I really need’s a smile smile smile”

“From these happy friends of mine.” - Sang the other Rainbooms through the other ends of walkie talkies.

Ever an adventurer, Rainbow Dash’s was ahead of them when her eyes spied a custom made totem pole.

“We’re here guys!” She said through her Bluetooth helmet, wincing a little as her ears were blared with the happy cheers of her friends.

With a little turn, they soon parked over to a slightly cleared area with huts lining up around the edges of the uncut trees. As of now fifteen cars and two motorcycles were parked by the hill. Pinkie, as usual, was the first to exit her Smart car.

“We’re here, we’re here!” - Pinkie squeaked as she hopped around, pulling a list from her hair - “Ooohhh, I have so much planned I’m about to-” Before she could finish, her hair exploded like a volcano, releasing a puff of confetti.

Fluttershy and Applejack took in the warm air while the Crusaders unloaded their suitcases. Though Scootaloo has received her driver’s license a month after the Battle of the Bands, her family still had one car, and so rode along with Apple Bloom and her sister.

With another rumble and radio heard in the distance, they looked back on the trail to find a blue-green CRV parking entering and stopping at an empty spot in the gravel and dirt. Emerging from the driver’s seat was Zipper. He also got his driver’s license, but in his case his father, Blurr, loaned him the car, having already been using a police car throughout his career. Nonetheless, it is a godsend for the Maximals as a whole, no more having to take turns riding a ten speed back home. They still brought it over at Rainbow Dash’ request; so far they haven’t gotten any details about the events for the Friendship Games, anything is possible.

Cosgrove looked at his little brother, “Excited for another month at CF?”

Dapplewood nodded, putting on his sunglasses before grabbing his suitcase. The Maximals have noticed Sunset still looking at the trail, often looking down at her watch.

“What’s wrong, boss?” asked Diver as she shuffled the weight of her suitcase.

“They should be here by now, they were just a few miles behind us.”

Chelsey walked to Sunset, “Who is they?”

Chelsey's answer was answered first by flocks of startled birds, then the rumble of the ground that got more intense as time went on. Busting through the topmost branches was a massive RV crawling towards the parking lot, easily showing off its size as it got closer to the guests. Moving out of the way, they could only imagine what was inside the vehicle.

Their ears hearing the sound of the doors opening, and a few footsteps, their eyes had their sites on Adagio and Aria, now in cargo shorts and button up shirts.

Not that the reunion with the Rainbooms was warm to begin with, the Dazzlings’ sight to the Maximals and Crusaders wasn’t met with any positivity; Diver and Chelsey, in particular, clench their fists.

Applejack turned to the younger campers, “Are y’all gonna say something?”

“Yeah,” - Zipper broke the silence before puffing out his chest - “haveyouallforgotthefactthatwewerebeingusedbythemtogetyoutolosethecompetitionandtakeovertheworld?!”


Adagio’s mouth became slightly agape as she tried to recollect what the hexa-dactylid just said before he zoomed forward and scanned them.

“InfactIsaysendthemontheirwaybeforetheytryanyotherformofhoodoo!”

Aria had her hand on her head, also trying to recollect what he was saying before asking, “Do you know what you’re saying at all? Do you even think?”

“What he’s trying to say,” - Diver inched up to the violet Siren, pushing her back with her large belly - “is that we won’t have any problem shattering a few of your-”

“Hey!” Sunset interrupts, pushing the two apart “We’ve brought them here to have a good time and we will all have a good time.” - Sunset tilted her body down, staring Diver down - “Is that clear?”

The younger Maximal shifted her eyes at the Dazzlings, daring to question Sunset’s authority again, “All of us?”

Soon after, the RV started to shake, tilting to the right before springing back into position. It was Sonata Dusk, wearing an adult Girl Scout uniform, visor included, huffing and puffing as she carried three massive backpacks.

“Hi… Guys…!” She said between breaths as she staggered towards the group. The others stared at Adagio and Aria before Applejack lifted one backpack off Sonata’s right shoulder, the sudden imbalance causing her to fall to her left.

“Rule number three in camping:” - The farmer walked around Adagio, placing the heavy carrying pack on her back - “everybody pitches in.”

Aria began to chuckle when Applejack tossed the next bag, sending her flying to the ground.

“Ha, ha!” Adagio returned the laugh in a mocking tone before they saw the others beginning their walk up the earthen stairs.


As they walk, the other occupants of the campsite, many of whom participated in the Battle, watched as the Dazzlings walked to their location.

“Hey is that?”

“No, it couldn’t be, could it?”

“Are they going to perform their spell on us?”

The backtalk continued on, worrying Sonata and angering Aria. Each hut was separated marked by a logo their group used during said competition. The Rainbooms went their hut, the Crusaders (also joined by Dinky, and Babs Seed as a guest) went to theirs, and the Maximals went to theirs, and so forth. The Dazzlings looked back and forth, trying to find just where their living spaces are.

“Can help you with something?” - Sonata immediately jumped, colliding with her sisters and cause them to stagger. It was one of the new camp staff members, appearing of Japanese origin, holding a checklist - “Oh, sorry. I seem to have forgotten my matters. I am Yatsukahagi Kumo, but you may call by Suki.”

“Yes…” - Adagio greeted with an uneasy tone as she eyed the camper’s erect hand before raising her hand - “I’m-”

“Sonata Dusk!” - Sonata immediately grabbed Suki’s hand and shook it rapidly before passing the hand over to Aria - “This is Aria-”

“Don’t touch me…” She growled.

“And-”

“Adagio Dazzle.” The lead Siren interrupted, brushing Sonata’s hand aside before gently holding Suki’s hand.

After being released, the camp staff member flipped through her checklist, sliding her finger down to find “Blaze, Aria” on the first page.

“Ah, your lodge is over there.”

The Dazzlings turned around, finding a cabin several meters away from the others, and comparatively worn down. Suki lead them over, giving them a tour of the even more worn down interior.

“We hope to raise enough money to have this hut replaced by next summer, but at least the circuit plug is still functional.” - Just after Suki spoke, the one plug in the entire hut immediately shorted out. Adagio smacked her face, growling, prompting Suki to step out - “I’ll… See how the other guests are doing.”

As soon as the screen door was closed, Sonata shrugged her shoulders as the rotted floor boards suppressed under their combined weight.

“Well, it’s not like this can’t get any worse.” - Without warning, the boards snapped, bringing them knee deep into each little hole. Sonata looked to her left to the predatory faces of her sisters staring daggers at her, giving out an innocent giggle.


As the sun looped over the tree line, the campers gathered around the camp staff, ready for the first-day meeting.

“Hello, happy campers! I am sure you're here for an exciting month here at Camp Friendship. But, in light of last year's mishap, I would like to go under a few changes in our policies. First, we have made a few fences on the main trail to the river. No one will go outside those fences without a staff member or ranger on duty. Second, lights out time will be eight o'clock pm” - the camp manager stepped over to Rainbow Dash just as she was strumming her guitar - “So no playing instruments then!”

Rainbow’s eyes flicked around before hiding the instrument behind her back and whistled.

“Now, get some sleep, I'm certain you'll all have quite a bit of fun on the float trip tomorrow!”

The campers cheered before breaking off into their own cabins, wrapping into their blankets and slept. But as the night sky loomed over, the silent campsite was disturbed by the sounds of crickets, owls, and coyotes. One such owl flew down a hole in the Dazzlings’ cabin, hobbling its way to one of the beds, unintentionally rubbings its feathers on Sonata’s arm.

“Come back big, fluffy teddy bear!” - Sonata grabbed the bird with both arms, wrapping around it in a tight embrace - “You and I will stop the taco lord…”

“Who…”

“The taco… lord…”

“Who…”

“And bring peace to the land…”

Across from her bed, Adagio watched her sister cuddling the animal, slowly smirking as she waited for something to happen.

“Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!”

A moment that wasn't very long.

Around midnight, Aria smacked her dry lips as she shuffled across the rotted floor to the sink. But not paying attention to the floor…”

“Agh!! Ffffff…” Tripping on a protruding splint, she stumbled forward, catching herself on the sink. Her eyes just above the tub, the Siren placed a hand on the faucet, turning it left.

Not even a drip, much to her agitation.

A few hard knocks on the Rainbooms screen door, Fluttershy opened the door to the squinting eyes of Aria Blaze. The caretaker shying away, the Siren stamps into the cabin, ignoring the sleepy eyes of the others as Aria Blaze walked to their sink, turned the faucet, filled up her cup before chugging it down her throat.

The Rainbooms watched Aria leave with a deep growl before looking at Sunset Shimmer.

“They’ll warm up…” She answered before flipping over the blanket.


July Second.

It was around eight in the morning when the camp’s PA system buzzed, playing a rendition of Franklin the Turtle.

Back at the Dazzlings’ cabin, Adagio moved her massive mess of a bed head, looking at the outside with irritated, bloodshot eyes before getting up. She walked outside, grabbed a massive stick, dragging it towards the station.

Whack!!

Silence, except for the songbirds, and the scraping sound of a dragging stick.

As soon as Adagio went back to sleep…

“Morning, Dagi!!” - Adagio opened her eyes to the scratched up face of her blue sister - “C’mon up up up!”

With a quick pull, Adagio’s shallowly dressed body was exposed to the humid morning air. The blonde dug her head into the pillow, trying to shrug off Sonata poking her hair.

“Sonata, may I remind you that after days of business arrangements, that I deserve a good night's sleep?”

Seeing the other occupants leave the camp, and not wanting to miss the experience, cupped her ears, took a deep breath, and-

“Aaaaaaadddddaaaaaaaggggggiiiiiiooooooo!!!!!!!!!!”

No reaction, so she took in another deep breath.

“Aaaaa-”

The Siren she beckoned clutched her throat, pulling her down to her enraged, snarling face. Just after the group meeting before the journey, the Rainbooms stayed behind to wait for the Dazzlings.

“C’mon!” Rainbow whined, motioning her hands to the trail “I want to be first place shredding some rapids!”

“Oh, Dashie!” Pinkie pinched Rainbow's cheek, shaking it up and down “Why do you want a party of six, when we can have one of nine!”

Rainbow smacked her hand away, “The Crusaders and Maximals already make sixteen already, Pinkie.”

“Yay!! A party of nineteen!” Pinkie screams, bouncing in delight.

Applejack looked at the trail again, “Speaking of party, does it seem like half of us are missing?”

Fluttershy twirled a few strands of her pink hair behind her ear, “Maybe they have already gone to the river.”

Rainbow immediately began to run up the trail.

“Like hell they-!”

Hearing the crunching of sticks, the Rainbooms turned to find Aria dragging Sonata by the ear as she walked to the trail. Adagio followed soon after.

“C’mon…” She growled.

About a few yards behind, Rainbow Dash jogged up the trail, leaving the others to walk behind. The Dazzlings, not quite in shape since their banishment, strained themselves as they walked up the hill.

Applejack noticed Sonata drinking much more water than necessary. “Sugarcube, you gotta save enough for the big trip.”

“Yeah… Sure…” Sonata put away her canteen.

After a good half hour of walking, they found Rainbow Dash at the top of a sandbar with her hands on her hips. The sports captain looked behind as the others caught up with her.

“See!” - Rainbow Dash pointed down, many of the boats have left the shore, following the current, only the Maximals and Crusaders stayed behind to pack up refreshments onto a yellow floaty - “We're gonna have to make up for lost time!”

“Rainbow” - Sunset places a hand on her head - “I don't think the Friendship Games would include canoeing.”

Rainbow crossed her arms, raising a skeptical brow.

“How would you know?” - Sunset tried to find a good answer, but really it is something she couldn't find - “Exactly.”

Maintaining their balance, the Rainbooms shuffled down the sandbar. Sonata was the last to join them up the sandbar, her violet eyes spotting the sparkling water.

“Yes!” Sonata raised a knee up high “We made it!”

With a hard slam, the sandbar collapsed under the Dazzlings, making them rolling down and collide with the Rainbooms, reaching the shore as their faces drew across the sand. Rarity lifted her head up, flopping a wet leaf onto her eye.

“Ugh!” Rarity groaned as she flicked the leaf away before gasping at the sight of her nails “I just polished these!”

Their younger classmates and relatives looked down before Apple Bloom raised a hand and said, “Seriously?”

Rainbow clawed her way off the sand and hopped on the nearest canoe. “Come on, guys!”

Applejack, Pinkie, and Rarity hopped on the canoe before casting off. Rainbow, ever determined, pulled her weight the most as she so desperately tried to keep up with the others.

Adagio supinated her hand, pointing downstream. “Is she always like this?”

Sunset raised her shoulder, “Every day.”


Taking the last canoe on the sandbar, Sunset, Adagio, Aria, and Sonata steadily paddled down the river. After having paddled a few miles down the river, they stopped by the edge of a rocky shore to rest. The current was gentle enough to allow several of campers to cool off in the water. Diver sits underwater, though the current does prevent her from meditating. On another hand, Diver wasn’t the only good swimmer among them. As she trudges along the undertow, Sonata kept making circles around her. Despite orders, the Maximal still wasn’t keen being friends with the Sirens and promptly shooed her off before walking towards the rocky shore. Flustered, Sonata swam upstream, her violet eyes spotting a worm gliding in place.

Up at the shore, the Crusaders sat on a sandy part of the bank, sharing a fishing rod as she waited for their prize to come and snatch it up. While the current and the wind does give off a nice breeze, the calm of the surroundings was so much that they soon dozed off, one of a few needed before their journey continued.

A little further inland, Aria lied down on an isolated pool, her head lifted up to protect her eyes from the sun. Her relaxation was disturbed when a bullfrog plopped into the water before Dapplewood plunged, kicking and splashing water around as he tried to grab the amphibian.

“HEY!” - the boy stopped and turned around, finding the completely soaked Aria Blaze looking at him - “You mind taking your chase somewhere else?”

The boy just stood there, staring back at the Siren. Aria added more to her demand with a raise of her eyebrow. Still nothing. With a groan, Aria just lied back, her eyes facing the sky as her ears picked up the shallow splashing and the displacement of rocks. A few seconds of silence was again disturbed by a sudden plop on the ground. Aria tilted her neck to find Dapplewood sitting right next to her, the position of the sun providing shade.

“I told you to go away!” - She demanded, pushing the boy away from her - “God, even if I didn’t have my voice, it shouldn’t be that hard for you to understand!”

Aria’s reply made Dapplewood narrow his eyes before he pointed to her, tapped his neck, trailing it up his neck before stretching his hand out.

“What was that supposed to be, some sort of code?”

“‘At least be happy that you still have a voice.’”

Aria turned around to find Cosgrove looking down at her with narrowed eyes. Grabbing Dapplewood’s hands, Cosgrove walked him away from her. With an irritated growl, Aria went back to resting.

On another part of the shore, Adagio watched the translucent surface as fish swam downstream. She wasn’t alone for long when Sunset sat next to her.

“So… enjoying the float trip?”

Adagio looked down the river, taking in a breath of moist air, “It’s not like the ocean.”

Sunset scooted closer before asking, “What was it like” - Adagio slowly turned her head to the person who helped defeat her and her sisters, raising an eyebrow - “being a Siren in Equestria? Do you three ever miss your home?”

“I can tell you that it’s no girls fantasy.” - Adagio answered - “The one bright side about this world is that it is very tame. Every day back home, before we have found our pendants, we were no alpha predators. Most of our food was found in the deepest part of the Equestrian Ocean, where the largest predators lurked.”

Adagio noticed a pair of opal eyes looking down her leg, the right calf bearing a two prong puncture mark before she covered it up with a loose beach towel.

“That doesn’t look like a-”

“We don’t have sharks in Equestria.” - The yellow siren moved her head aside - “Not the kind you know.” - She turned her head back, noticing a few whip marks on Sunset’s body - “You’re not much of a picnic basket yourself.”

Sunset smirked before Adagio looked back to the river, “Any hoodles, noodles, and pink poodles. Then came one time, I think it was Aria, maybe Sonata, I was still asleep then, when the next morning-”

“They found the pendants.”

The siren nodded. A good distance away, Diver watched the conversation as she trudged through the beach before suddenly stopping.

“Hey!” - Diver looked down to find Babs sitting upright, waving her reddened hand before looking furious at - “I’m restin’ here!”

“Sorry.” Diver apologized in a cynical tone before continuing her journey.

With a snort, Babs was just about to return to sleep when she noticed the fishing rod was tugging rapidly.

“Whoa!” - Babs immediately got up and ran towards the rod, the weight of each tug almost pulling her in - “Hey, the rod’s got something!”

Immediately waking up, the rest of the Crusaders rose to their feet and joined Babs, quickly jerking back and forth, wrestling for their prize. The frenzy has taken notice by the others.

“Be careful, y’all!” Applejack called out from the other side of the bar. It was when they became knee deep in water when additional help was needed. AJ, Pinkie, Rainbow, and Rarity joined in, quickly getting the younger girls to shore. With one great tug, what came out was so not a fish, but Sonata herself, flopping back and forth as she held the bait in her mouth before she looked up, finding them looking down at her.

“Guess I make a fine trophy?” She said before being answered with a heartfelt laugh.

From the other side, Sunset and Adagio watched the laughter before the latter answered.

“You have to give her credit though for trying.” - Adagio twisted her body towards the river, keeping her head focused at the crowd - “Though too hard for my taste.”


After paddling down the rest of the river, they took a bus back to the campsite. The sun roosts over the tree line as everyone stood by a campfire. All except the Dazzlings, who merely stayed in their cabins.

Rainbow Dash sat on the log, giving her friends a creepy look before saying, “Okay, everybody get comfortable, 'cause I'm about to tell you the best story you've ever heard.”

Scootaloo immediately stands up.

“Is it about the time when Rarity had not enough ribbon and she was panicking like mad?”

That made everyone laugh, making Rarity’s white cheeks flush red.

“Scootaloo!”

Rainbow Dash stopped laughing, wiping away a tear, “Okay, maybe it's the second best story you've ever heard. But probably still the scariest.” - Rainbow cleared her throat, leaning forward to tell her tale - “It all happened on a night just like this one, in a forest, just like this…”

Over at their living quarters, The Dazzlings were putting on their pajamas as they readied to sleep for another night in the wild.

“Well, it has been quite an exciting day.” - Said Sonata as she fluffed her pillow - “Still can’t believe we reached first place! Though there wasn’t a trophy.”

“Hmph, easy for you to say.” - Said Aria - “I was easily creeped out by some mute boy half their age.”

The other two Dazzlings looked at Aria before Adagio answered, “You, creeped out by a little boy? You do know that we have sicked them on the Rainbooms.”

“Yeah, they’re still a little mad at us.” - Sonata looked outside, seeing the orange light on the ground - “Hey, we should go out there, maybe tell a few scary stories.”

“No.” Aria responded, wrapping a blanket over her body and going to sleep.

Adagio looked to her more active sister before drawing a smirk.

“Oh well…” - The lead siren sat on Aria’s bed, placing a hand on her shoulder - “It really isn’t much fun without you.”

Having lived thousand years or two thanks to their pendants, Aria gave an “I know what you’re up too” kind of look at her sister.

“...And then,” - Rainbow Dash continued as she waved her arm across the entire crowd - “The Olden Woman asked, "’Who's got my rusty horseshoe?’"

Suddenly, a large pile of sheets flopped on the ground around the campfire, scaring the Crusaders, Fluttershy, Pinkie, Chelsey, Zipper, and Dapplewood. Scootaloo clutched onto Cosgrove, her nails digging into his face.

“Scoots,” - The Maximal tapped her forehead - “lose the claws.”

Seeing his face, Scootaloo relaxed her fingers, leaving marks on his face. She saw her closest compatriots watching her with their lips pursed, trying to contain their laughter.

“I wasn't scared at all, heh, heh. Good story.”

The other campers looked at the large pile of sheets, what was inside squirming towards one end before a deep violet, green-blue striped, head popped out.

“Aria?” - Rarity raised an eyebrow - “Why are you-?”

“She was just so crazed to come over that we had to restrain her.” Said Adagio as she propped the tied up Aria onto a log.

“Well,” - Applejack clapped her hands, rubbing them in a manner that suggest a sinister idea - “That’s enough scary stories. Time to play my favorite game.”

Rarity widened her eyes, “Oh, please no!”

“GUESS OUR FEAR!!!” Most of them exclaimed before taking their seats, shuffling their feet.

“All right, let’s get started.” - The farmer flicked her eyes around, trying to pick a target - “Ah know… Rainbow Dash’s biggest fear!”

“What are you talking about, I have no fear?”

“Besides failure.” Applejack snickered.

“Aw yeah?!” Rainbow shuffled around before rebutting - “You don’t have the stomach to tell a lie!”

“Because it’s not my nature.” - AJ chuckled - “Alright, who’s next?”

Sweetie Belle raises her hand, making hooting sounds like a small dog.

“I know Chelsey’s fear.” - Sweetie Belle squeaked before pointing to the giant - “I’ve heard her talking about how she won’t find a boyfriend taller than her.”

The piebald freshman-sophomore lowered her shoulders. “For once, I wish I wasn’t a giant among our age.”

“Aw, cheer up!” - Pinkie rubbed Chelsey’s gray hair - “You’ll find Mr. Right someday! Your turn!”

Taking a deep breath, the largest of the soon to be sophomore Maximals slowly looked around, trying to find a suitable victim. Fluttershy? No, she’s scared of just about anything you throw at her. Pinkie, she can be so deceiving that only Applejack can point out. Then her eyes focused on Adagio. Sunset wanted them to get to know them more, what else would the purpose of such games be?

“You seem to be the person who would be afraid of spiders.”

Adagio looked at the other players staring back at her as they waited for an answer. Applejack and Apple Bloom saw this as plain as day.

The siren sighed, “At least I have a good reason to be scared of spiders. It’s a common phobia.”

Sonata placed a finger on her lips, “I think it’s called arachno-”

“It’s still a fear of spiders! What was she asking about, constipation?! God!” Aria interrupted with a huff.

After glaring at her grump of a sister, Adagio’s lips curled back.

“I know Aria’s biggest fear.”

“Nuh, uh!” - Aria struggled to get out of her prison - “Don’t tell anyone! I’ll kill you if you say it!”

“Oh no, you wouldn’t…” - chuckled Adagio as she tugs on the wrapped blanket that bound her sister before in a sing-song manner - “I’m gonna tell them…”

“No! Don’t tell anyone!”

The lead Dazzling kept a soft smile before looking away. “Okay, I won’t.”

Aria lowered her shoulders, breathing out slowly.

“She’s scared of the dark.”

“Gah!” - Aria’s hair bolted up, mouth agape as she saw everyone trying to contain their laughter - “I-i-I’m not afraid of the dark. Not… anymore…”

Pinkie appeared behind Aria, covering her eyes with her hands. “So if I did this...?”

“No, that doesn’t scare me… kinda…”

“‘Kinda’?” Rainbow Dash learned towards Aria, holding her lower lip with her teeth.

Adagio chuckled before facing the others, “When we were still in Equestria, every night, Aria would always cuddle up in the most lit part of any place we slept.”

Aria growled, “Don’t plot anything… I swear!” - Shuffling onto her feet, Aria hopped a few paces before flopping onto the ground, inch-worming her way towards their cabin - “Screw you guys, I’m going to bed.”

“Okay, have fun... in the dark!” Sonata chuckled before going into a heartfelt laugh.

“I’M NOT AFRAID OF THE DARK!!!” Aria roared.

Sonata chuckled, “Okay, my turn!”

Over a good distance away, a pair of hands opens up the circuit board.

Back at the campfire, Sonata pointed at Pinkie Pie, “You’re afraid of-”

In one quick second, all the lights in every cabin went out.

“AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!” Aria screamed before quickly rushing back over to the campfire, curling up in front of the flames. Adagio was about to address her when - “Shut… Up…”

Sunset looked around, “Must have been a blackout…”

Applejack and Rainbow Dash got up before the former said, “We’ll go and help them out.”

Pinkie got up before hopping towards her cabin, “I’ll get the flashlights!”

“Better not go at it alone.” said Cosgrove before he and most of the others joined her in the dark, leaving Sunset with the Dazzlings.

“They’ll be fine.”

“Oh shush!!” Said Aria, not even turning her body away from the fire.

A distance away from the fire, Applejack and Rainbow Dash were at the main office building. Like everywhere else, it was completely blacked out.

“Hello?” - Applejack knocked on the glass - “Anybody here?”

Rainbow looked at each window before grunting in frustration, “Lazy bum staff! Maybe this was an early light's out?”

Applejack looked at her watch, “It’s not even time. Also, the backup generator hasn’t kicked up yet.”

“Back up generator?” - Rainbow asked - “When did this camp had a backup generator?”

“Every camp has a backup generator, Rainbow.” Applejack pointed to the back - “Here, you check out the circuit while I go check out the backup.”

“Aye, aye, Captain…” Rainbow said in a mocking tone. She walked around the office building, keeping her eyes to the wall before spotting the black box. As she approached it, her shoe kicked aside the torn lock. With a raised eyebrow, Rainbow opened up the board. If the broken lock was any hint, then a busted circuit board would follow as well. Rainbow turned around before quickly yelping.

Applejack walked down the hill to a tall fence encircling a Generac Backup Generator… what’s left of it. Even with the original circuit destroyed, the backup generator should be able to provide an electric charge to the fence. A fact that gave away a clue in the form of a decapitated, burnt arm lying on the corner. AJ lifted up the strayed limb, taking special notice of how there is no bone inside.

“The hell?” She asked as a pair of spindly limbs sprung behind her.

“Applejack?” - Sunset called out into the darkness, to no response - “Rainbow Dash? Pinkie Pie! Fluttershy?”

“Maybe the pink one is planning to give a little someone a surprise.” Said Adagio, slowly turning her head at Aria growling at her.

“No, it shouldn’t take them this long to find one flashlight.” - Sunset took out her cell phone, narrowing her eyes at the lit screen - “There’s no signal.”

“Then what are we waiting for!” - Sonata grabbed a burning piece of wood, jumping triumphantly on the log - “Let’s go find theeeaaaAGGGGHHH!!!!” She screamed as she blew away the burnt blue flesh.


They split off into two, Sunset and Aria went in one direction, Adagio and Sonata the other. The darkened campsite soon echoed with their beckoning calls.

“Cosgrove? Chelsey? Apple Bloom?” Sunset hollered, still no response from them.

With only the moon and their cellphones lighting the campsite, Aria kept her arms close.

“Little girl… Creepy mute boy…” - She said in a more quiet tone than her usual outbursts - “Weird… Pink girl…”

“Aria…” - Sunset turned around, looking a bit peeved - “Would it help to know their names?”

“Why…? They hate us! And just knowing their names would make it worse!”

“Could you at least give them a chance?” - Sunset walked over, towering the Siren slightly - “I’ve heard about what you said to Dapplewood.”

“Who’s Dapplewood?”

“‘The creepy mute boy.’” - She hissed before returning to her search, ignoring Aria’s twitching face - “And whatever happens to him won’t affect just me, but you as- ”

“YOU THINK I DON’T KNOW THAT!?” - Aria’s yell echoed the forest - “WE HAVE SEEN SO MANY BAD THINGS IN BOTH HERE AND EQUESTRIA THAT IT WOULD BLAST YOUR SOUL!! AND NOW THANKS TO YOU WE’RE NO CLOSER TO BEING HOME!!!”

Aria breathed in and out, looking furious at the person who helped defeat her family.

“Aria…” - Sunset approached the Siren before the latter turned her glare away - “I know I wasn’t where you have been, seen what you have seen. But take it from me: Friends aren’t another limb or a minion. They can be much more… A family…”

Aria turned her gaze back at Sunset before continuing her search, “Aria, I found something!”

Aria braved much deeper darkness to join with her partner as she lifted up the journal, covered in some form of webbing at one corner. The ground around them had scuff marks and a series of holes. Sunset tapped her lip before taking out a pen.

Aria rolled her eyes, “Sunset, now isn’t the time to write in your diary.”

“I’m not writing in my diary,” - Sunset applied the pen tip, applying the ink with each stroke - “I’m writing to a friend.”


Further away, Adagio and Sonata walked continued to beckon out the other occupants.

“Fluttershy! Rainbow Dash!” - Sonata didn’t hear a response before turning around - “Rari- Agh!”

Right in front of her was Suki, giving her a smile so big that it was creepy.

“Hi, there! Are you two lost?”

“Ah, there you are.” - Adagio approached the camp staff member - “You happen to have seen the others?” - Suki merely retained a grin - “Hello? Are you going to answer, or should I write a complaint?”

“You’re happy pals are with us… for dinner.”

“Yay!” - Sonata wrapped her arms around Suki before grabbing her arm - “Let’s go and get Aria and Sunset! They’ll be so thrilled when we tell them where…” The happy-go-lucky Siren turned around, noticing her sister having her hand over her mouth and Suki staring back with the same dopey grin… and a missing limb… that Sonata now held in her palm.

“Ewwwwww….” Sonata flicked the arm away.

Adagio’s scared eyes turned to the one limbed human as she turned around, “What… are you?”

Suki’s eyes sunk back into her head as several spindly limbs slowly erupt off of her back before her arms wrapped around herself and pulled it off, tearing away the human shell and revealing a more arachnid type creature that leaped onto Adagio.

“Adagio!” Sonata called out, but to no avail. Adagio merely looked at the massive spider with pinprick eyes as the beast slowly moved its fangs out. But before it could inject its venom into the Siren, Sonata grabbed it by the legs and flipped it onto its side - “Come on Adagio!”

Grabbing her hand, Adagio is pulled away from the beast towards the fire.


“Sunset! Aria!”

Just as they hear Sonata’s screams, a net of webbing caught Sunset and pulled her onto her back, leaving the journal in the dirt. The purple Siren grabbed onto her legs and pulled, but whatever caught Sunset had much better strength than she had.

“Aria, get the journal to your sisters! Get out of-!” Sunset was yanked into the darkness, her screams immediately silenced.

Aria looked into the darkness as a pair of glowing orbs shine before her, then four, then eight, sixteen, thirty two. Whether this was one or several, Aria didn’t care as she grabs the journal and ran towards the flames, joining up with her sisters as they tried to catch their breath.

“Where’s… Sunset… Shimmer?” Sonata asked between breaths.

“She… Got caught… in some webbing…” - She looked at Adagio as she gave a blank stare at the ground - “What’s wrong with Adagio?”

“We were attacked Suki, only… that wasn’t Suki…”

Aria felt the journal vibrate between her fingers. Flipping through to the last page Sunset wrote, the three sat down and read:

Dear Princess Twilight,

Sorry to write to you this late at night but just out of curiosity, are there any giant arachnids in Equestria? Our world once had similar sized species, but they were extinct well before our civilization was established.

The next space down the page answered,

Sunset,

There are indeed giant spiders in Equestria, and they are much bigger than the ones that once inhabited your world. But the one that intrigued me the most is the Tsuchigumo. A long time ago, Starswirl the Bearded experimented magic on a select few spiders, changing their size over time. Among these changes was the ability for them to take on any form of their prey, not unlike the magic Changelings use to disguise themselves. Upon his passing, one speciman has since gone rogue.

Why, do you have a spider problem?

Aria looked back up at the horrified Adagio, “You encountered a giant spider?”

Adagio slowly shook her head up and down, “And it is exactly what Twilight described.”

“Which is sad too,” - Sonata added - “I was really hoping to add Suki to my Friend list.”

Adagio stood up and began walking into the darkness when Sonata stopped her.

“Hey, hey! Where are you going?”

“I’m getting out of here before one of these things eats us for dinner?” Adagio pushed Sonata aside before continuing on her trek.

“But what about our friends?” Sonata walked in front of Adagio again “We have to save them”- Adagio increased her pace before her sister pulled her hair “We must fight!”

“With what?!” - Adagio lashed out, batting away her sister - “If we had our pendants this wouldn’t be a problem. But now out here in the wild, we’re nothing but fodder! This was just a stupid attempt to get us reformed after Sunset-!”

Aria stopped her rant by slapping her hand in the face, looking furious.

“You call yourself a leader when really you got us to more trouble!” - Aria pointed at her - “You’re the one that suggested we go on tour and suck out negative energy and look what that has brought us!”

“I've done everything to help us survive in this hellhole!” - Adagio stepped forward - “I got us set for several lifetimes!”

“YOU LOST OUR HOME!”

Adagio bares her teeth as she stared down Aria, who clenched a fist, ready to fight.

“Stop it! Both of you!” - Sonata broke up the fight before it even began - “This is our one chance to set things right, and right now our friends need us.” - Sonata turned around - “But if we are going to fight ourselves then I’ll just go at it alone!”

“Sonata!” - Aria called out before turning to her sister - “Look, you're not obligated to make friends, but if you don’t help us, you’ll truly be alone.”

Adagio narrowed her eyes as Aria joined up with her sister. The yellow Siren turned around and continued her trek to the RV, shaking and quivering. By the time she held her hand on the door, she collapsed, placing her hands onto her face as she gave in and cried.


Retracing Sonata’s steps, they found that the beast was gone, but left a trail of white blood leading into the darker recesses of the forest. Knowing Aria’s greatest fear, the blue Siren stretched out her hand. Not the one who usually accepts help, but with the others lives at stake, why not now? Aria slowly reached out and grabbed Sonata’s hand before they continued to follow the trail, leading them through bush after unseen bush before finding an empty cave with a noticeable white glow.

Walking inside and taking a little turn, they found that the shaft of the cave was laced with spider silk, and woven in the silk hundreds of campers. Sonata noticed a fluffy tuft of pink hair poking out as she squirmed in her prison.

“Pinkie Pie!” Sonata rushed out, not paying attention to the strands of silk on the ground, awakening a set of eyes. The Dazzling tried to pull off the webbing, but the common fact that spider silk has a comparable strength to steel made it difficult for her to rip away a few strands.

And worse, Sonata got her hands stuck on the webbing. The Siren struggled to break free, her heavy stomping tugging at the tendrils below, enticing four pairs of legs as reached out the cave and slowly carried the heavy body towards her. The Tsuchigumo’s simple mouth salivated, drawing out its fangs as prepared to dine.

Or it would when it’s stripey body felt a heavy rock. The beast turned around, seeing Aria cursing at it, despite not hearing airborne sounds. Still feeling Sonata’s struggle, the spider shot out a little webbing, binding her to the wall before pursuing the Dazzling out of the cave. The Tsuchigumo exited the cave to find its prey no longer in front of it. With its backside exposed, Aria jumped on top of it, making the beast buck and brash as it tried to get the Siren off of it. Not the graceful of spiders, the beast stepped on a loose rock, sending it and Aria tumbling down the hill. A while after blacking out, Aria awoke to see the Tsuchigumo lying flat on its back.

“Hmph!” She scoffed “This felt a little easy.”

Indeed, the spider shot out its silk, binding Aria to a tree behind her. Using its left set of legs, the Tsuchigumo propped itself, shuffling its body to face her. Aria tried to break free, as evident on its glossy black eyes as it got closer and closer. Five feet away from her, the beast raised its droopy fangs, ready to make the first bite. Aria could only watch as a bright light shined fast upon her right before a massive object rammed the spider out of her sight.

It was the RV, a vehicle suitable for a person wishing to conquer her fears.

“Don’t need to like spiders if I can just crush them!” Adagio yelled before driving the spider straight into an oak tree, covering the plant, the RV, and a few feet of ground in spider guts, venom and legs. With that, Adagio sighed in relief before the airbag burst out.

Taking out a knife, Adagio cut the ends of the binding, releasing her sister. But the reunion wasn’t as she hoped as Aria crossed her arms.

“What? I just saved your life and you’re still-?” Adagio was cut off when Aria wrapped in a tight embrace.

“Not how I imagined you growing a pair,” - Aria got herself within arm’s length - “but at I’m glad you’re back.”

Beneath the lead Dazzlings half closed eyes was a curled smile before she embraced her sister.

“Let’s get the others out.” - Said Adagio when the hood of the RV was lit aflame - “Quickly!”


A long moment after, the darkness was split down the middle, revealing an orange-violet sky.

“Hi, Sunny!” Shouted Sonata right at her face, scaring her out of the silky cocoon.

Sunset took a few breaths as she looked around, watching her classmates and their guests walk free. “So… what was it that attacked us?”

“A Suki-Gomo..?” - Sonata placed a finger on her lip, then waves her hand dismissively - “Some kind of giant spider.”

“Okay!” - Sunset and Sonata turned looked over to see several of their classmates helping the tow truck driver pull up the RV up the hill - “Turn to your left!”

Further down the hill, a few others were dousing the fire with water before Applejack walked over.

“Don’t use water, it billows the smoke! Kick some dirt on it!”

Up the hill, Adagio was watching the ordeal as the morning wind blew her hair.

“Enjoy your sleep?” - Adagio turned around, raising an amused brow - “If almost being eaten by my worst fear counts as a good knight sleep.”

The fire-haired girl looked around, “Where’s Aria?”

The lead siren looked to her left, leading Sunset’s eyes to find Aria with Cosgrove and Dapplewood. The younger child was holding out his cell phone while it played, “God, even if I didn’t have my voice, it shouldn’t be that hard for you to understand!”

“Look, I know you’re still a little mad, but I just saved your life. At least accept my apology.”

DW put the phone away, pointed at her before waving his hand forward.

“You have much to do before we can trust you.” - Cosgrove translated before his brother took off his glasses, and tucked them into her pocket. The boy then placed the tip of his fingers on the palm of his hand, lifting it up and touched the tips of his fingers together. - “But it’s a great start.”

Aria looked at the new wave glasses.

“They… do look good on me…” - Unfolding them, she then nestled it into the young Maximals hair - “But they suit a guy better.”


It was in the afternoon when all of the occupants returned to the campsite.

“All right!” - Rainbow Dash stretched her arms before making a few jabbing motions - “Now that pest problems out of the way, we can make up for lost time and practice for the Fourth of July concert!”

The other Rainbooms weren’t paying attention to her, instead looking at the Dazzlings packing up their stuff. With the RV being towed as they speak, there are things to be done back home.

Pinkie’s poofy hair deflated slightly before bouncing over to them, “You sure you want to go? It won’t be much of a party without you.”

Sonata looked at her sisters, who stopped for a while before they continued packing.

“Oh, I want to stay, but with the RV-”

“I didn’t say all of us have to leave.” - Said Adagio as she lifted her bags before looking at Aria- “Aria can stay as well?”

“What?!”

“Sonata I can understand, you need to work on your social skills.”

Aria groaned while Sonata and Pinkie cheered, holding each other in a tight embrace and jumped up and down, breaking the floorboards. Adagio chuckled before as she exited the house.

Rarity stretched out a hand, “Adagio, dear, should you get-”

“I’ve been putting up with them for over a thousand years,” - the express bus pulls over at the base of the stairs - “I can wait one month.”

The Rainbooms and the remaining Dazzlings watched Adagio continue her walk down the stairs and enter the bus.

“Or less.” Said Applejack as the bus left the campsite.

Comments ( 2 )

What the buck???
THIS IS AN AMAZING STORY, people! !! :flutterrage:

It's hard to somtime understand who is speaking and about what they are speaking. Scenes are changing very fast without indication they changed.

Login or register to comment