• Published 26th Jan 2016
  • 4,504 Views, 263 Comments

The World Within the Web - Lord Max



In a world where the "Six Friends Who Are One" are worshiped as gods, a small team of followers sworn to the Generous and Honest Friends must work together to face a charge of murder, a masked threat, and a vast conspiracy.

  • ...
7
 263
 4,504

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter VI: Andrean Evening

Chapter VI: Andrean Evening

* * * * * *

“...for we are no longer separate parts, nor a rebellion as some have declared us, but a SINGLE FANDOM, whose name shall be BRONY, and who are united in allegiance to THE SIX FRIENDS WHO ARE ONE. We wish no further conflict, but seek only our right to existence, as is owed to ALL PEOPLES who dwell within the great Authority of the Internet.

To you, most enlightened and grand leaders of the Moderator Authority, we seek only reconciliation and peace, and will disengage all armed Brony forces on the Chan and elsewhere, but require the following terms be met, as is our right:

1. All forces of the Authority and the citizens of the Chan must end their attack against our people.

2. The Moderator Authority must acknowledge that this new BRONY COLLECTIVE has an unimpeachable and inalienable right of existence.

3. The Moderator Authority must acknowledge the Bronies as one of the GREAT FANDOMS, and allow us the respective rights that such a position entails.

4. Certain territories in southern Comchan, as well as the isle of Sixchan-in-the-Sea, must be ceded as sovereign land of our fandom…”

Excerpt from the “Sixchan Declaration”, written by Feylen Mars to the High Moderators of the Authority. Upon hearing of the declaration, both the Bronies warring in the Chan, including Madelin Wright and the future Warden of Honesty, and the Exodite Bronies who had fled the fighting would swear fealty to the newly formed Brony Collective, and declare Feylen Mars the true Warden of Magic. After the Second Battle of Baysmouth, it was by these terms that the Authority made peace with the Collective, thus ending the First Rise, and allowing the second to begin.

* * * * * *

"It is said that the nature of the Divine is love. If this is indeed true, then we must acknowledge that under symmetrical property its opposite is also true: Love is Divine. To build a bond is to reach a higher plane, to learn about one close to you is to learn about the greater mysteries, and to make a friend is to touch the face of God. When I speak with my friends, I am singing a prayer to That Which is Greater.

"Thus, we see that Friendship is truly Magic."

— Brony mystic writings, penned by an anonymous member of the Laughing Friends with the pseudonym "Jessamino."

* * * * * *

The halls of the Kind Wing were all soft colors: muted yellows, pinks, and blues, which made walking through them a great deal calmer than the Laughing or Generous Wing. It was far quieter as well, with the robed and hooded Bronies walking by rarely raising their voices above a whisper, or not speaking at all. More than a few of them, Proximo knew, had taken vows of silence to honor the Kind Friend, something that Lady Semmer was frequent to partake in herself. They were still polite, though, bowing their heads or waving a hand in greeting to Proximo as he passed by towards the Heartspire.

It wasn’t often that he stepped into the Kind Wing, whose inhabitants were so often reclusive and seldom seen. The Kind Friend represented mercy, compassion, and understanding, and thus many of her followers were the doctors and healers of the fandom. They had a fair share of negotiators and diplomats as well, a task they shared with the Generous Friends, and that was precisely why Proximo had been sent to see Lady Semmer about the coming mission to the Dreamweave. It wasn’t his only reason to visit, but knowing who else was to be on the team the Collective would send was more than important to Proximo. At any rate, he did not want to force Violet to go herself: the lady had seemed distant and anxious after meeting with Lord Mars, and she hadn’t told Proximo why.

The path he walked passed by several rooms, some studies, some dining halls, and a few sick bays for the injured and unwell. He did not see fit to stop in any of them, but could see the yellow robes and pink hoods of the Kind Friends wherever he went.

The mere sight of them made Proximo feel calmer, something he was more than grateful for: the journey out of the Citadel to the Painted Sea would begin tomorrow, and while he couldn’t show it to Lady Violet or anyone else, he was terribly nervous. Dealing with an angry lord was one thing, but a summons from the Authority, demanding explanations and proof of innocence was quite another. And with him coming along, who knows what could go wrong? Proximo thought.

He knew from all the times he had come in the past that he was approaching his destination, but it would have been obvious even without such information. The faint sound of music came from the space ahead, a light and delicate tune that could only belong to one person. It became clearer the closer Proximo came, until he could begin to make out the words of the song drifting through the halls.

“I woke from dreams to see you soon,

to find myself upon the moon.

The moon, the strangest place you'll see,

where up is down, and you is me!”

Proximo walked further, and saw a large, green, open space in the middle of the wing. There was no roof overhead, but rather a blue sky that was just starting to dim, with the evening approaching soon. The light shone down on grass and tree, and dozens of colored flowers spread around the clearing, with a fountain in the center that was quietly bubbling water. The centerpiece of the fountain was a marble sculpture of three butterflies, flying together, while all around it were stone benches for the contemplatives to gather on.

Lady Semmer was seated next to the fountain, delicately throwing seeds to a group of birds that had gathered near her. Lord Jestin, on the other hand, was seated just above her, sitting cross-legged on the rim of the fountain, with a stringed instrument in his hands. He strummed out a few notes, and sang again while Lady Semmer listened on.

“I walked and watched to pass the hours,
and saw black seas with shining flowers.
The flowers burn, to see that light!
Where day is dark and night is bright!”

Proximo held back, not wanting to disturb them, but Jestin noticed him right away, and briefly looked his way with a smile before returning to his song.

“The fish have wings, and the birds have gills,

they swim in the sky and fly in the rills!

And people aren't people, in that curious place,

where eyes are gold, and heads lack face!

Where summers are cold, and moments long,

where old are young, and weak are strong,

on the moon, you see, there's much to do,

I only wish I could be there with you!”

Lord Jestin took a deep bow when he finished, causing Lady Semmer to giggle. Proximo stepped out, letting Lady Semmer notice him and give a small smile. “Proximo! What a pleasant surprise. How are you?”

“I’m well, my lady,” he replied with a dip of his head. “I apologize if I’m intruding.”

“Aw, don’t worry about it!” Jestin said enthusiastically. “Lilly and I finished talking about the important things ages ago. Take a seat, friend!”

Proximo did so, sitting himself next to Lady Semmer. Being beside her made it all the more obvious how much taller she was than Proximo, her black-haired and hooded head reaching far higher up than his own. “That was a new song you heard the end of, Proxi,” Jestin said, looking down from the edge of the fountain. “Just made it today! What’d you think?”

“Excellent as always, my lord. You never fail to disappoint.”

“I thought it was wonderful, Jestin,” Lady Semmer agreed. “The flowers bloom, to see that light! Where day is dark and night is bright!” she repeated in her beautiful, sing-song voice. “Like a dream, yes?” She sighed and looked up at the sky. “Like a dream! Look at that sky, Mister Hart, that color? When it just starts to turn to dark, I love that half-blue it becomes. No black sea, but what comes before. I can taste the blue in the air! Like that earthy smell from after a rainstorm, when the ground comes up and meets the water, that’s what it is like.”

She took a handful of feed and sprinkled it on the ground, letting the little birds hop in and peck at it happily. One of them, a tiny, round, red-belly bird, fluttered up to the seat next to Lady Semmer and started chirping. She gave a soft laugh, and reached for more food to give it, while Proximo edged slightly away from the creature.

Noticing the generous friend’s discomfort, Semmer spoke up. “Proximo! You are not upset at this little one, are you?” The bird twitched its head towards him and tweeted, as though repeating the question.

“I’m not… terribly fond of birds,” he answered, moving his hand away from the bench. “It’s a silly thing to dislike, I know.”

“Tut-tut, Mister Hart,” she said in mock scolding. “The birds are our friends, you know this? But I understand—I remember once the Warden of Honesty came to visit here. What a sight! Of course, he almost never leaves the Honest Wing but to attend meetings, so imagine my surprise. The birds didn’t like him though: whenever he might walk in they start chattering and fly off.” She smiled at that thought, but then seemed to realize something. “But Proximo! You’re here as well—what do you need? Something with this Dreamweave, no doubt.”

“Lady Violet was just curious as to whom my lady wished to send with us, Lady Semmer,” Proximo answered.

“Ah, of course!” she said. “Just what we were talking about, isn’t it, Jestin?” She covered her mouth with her hand and giggled. “The diplomats will be twelve, yes? I think Skylark will join you, and Mattieu Winely as well. Rosesoul will come as well, but she is in the Devien Isles now, so I’ve sent word for her to meet you there. Very good talkers, and trustworthy, too. Jestin liked them very much.”

“They’re all good choices, Proximo, you have my approval on that!” Jestin nodded. “Shame you all have to leave so soon though: you’ll miss the Summer Sun Celebration, if you’re not careful.”

Proximo had nearly forgotten, considering all of the preparations he had made in the past day. It was nearly the height of summer, and on the longest day the whole Collective would be gathering for the Sun Celebration. Only the beginnings of Seasons were a bigger event in the fandom, when all of the Bronies would pour into the streets for parades and music in the day, and for feasting and light shows in the night. The whole thing was set up by the Laughing Friends, and no one was likely to miss it: even the Warden of Honesty occasionally made an appearance, and he avoided parties like the plague.

“It’s a terrible thing, my lord,” Proximo answered. “Hopefully we can sort all of this business out soon enough to be home in time. I would hate to miss all the fun.”

“These summons…” Lillian said with a sigh, “a terrible business. When I think of our friends there, in cells…” She looked earnestly towards Proximo, large eyes shining. “But what do I say? Violet will help them, and you. If you see them, please tell them we haven’t forgotten them.”

Proximo nodded. “I’ll tell them, my lady. Don’t worry, we’ll return with them in hand, safe and sound.” He believed it too, but still there was a pang of doubt when he said those words.

Jestin noticed it more quickly than Proximo would have expected. “So what was the other thing you wanted to talk about, friend?” He gave a reassuring smile.

Proximo shouldn't have been surprised that Jestin knew already: the Laughing Lord had a talent for telling what people left unsaid. And it was true, Proximo had indeed hoped that he would find Lord Jestin with the Warden of Kindness. Behind the smiles and songs, there was a certain wisdom and understanding in Lord Jestin that not many realized at first, but Proximo knew it well. He could seem silly, but in truth he was more webwise than most.

"I confess," he said, "that I did wish to talk with you about something that's been troubling me.” He hesitated for a moment, but then went on. “My lady,” he said, turning to Lady Semmer, “you mentioned the Warden of Honesty earlier. I fear that Lord Mars has made a mistake in ordering him with us.”

Jestin tilted his head. “Well, tell us what you mean.”

“Should I have to explain? I think you realize as well as I do why he shouldn’t be venturing out with us,” Proximo said nervously, running his fingers through his hair. “He can’t negotiate, he can’t compromise, and he spits on anyone who doesn’t think the same way as him. He isn’t a diplomat, and he has no love of the Authority either—what in the Web made Lord Mars think he would be suited for this?”

“He might surprise you,” Jestin pointed out.

Proximo snorted. “How so? Will he be able to turn a phrase and charm all of the lords and leaders? Or smile, or laugh, or not be exactly who he is? When has he ever be anything other than a dour, inflexible, puritanical man, without reason or regard for others?”

“You are not being entirely fair, Proximo,” Lady Semmer said, putting a hand on his shoulder. “You do not know him like we do. He will do all he can.”

“It’s his sanity I doubt, not his devotion.” Proximo looked to both of them. “Do you mean to say that you’ve felt none of these doubts yourself?”

Jen replied calmly. “I spoke with Mars about it, and asked why he made his choice. I wasn’t certain about it either, Proximo, but I have faith that he made the right decision. And I have faith in Honesty too.”

“But why?” Proximo asked. It didn’t make the faintest sense to him why Lord Jestin would defend someone incapable of laughter, and who spoke so disrespectfully to him just that morning. Do they not understand what he is? he thought.

“Because he’s my friend.” The way Jestin said it made it sound incredibly obvious.

Proximo couldn’t think of anything to say to that. It was strange to think that the bizarre man chosen to lead the Honest Friends had anyone willing to call him a friend, let alone defend him like Lord Jestin and Lady Semmer chose to. Lady Violet would defend him as well, Proximo knew. He sighed. “Very well then. It’s just terribly unexpected,” he said, looking down.

Jestin gave a supporting smile. “I guess so, but hey! Fate’s an odd thing, my friend. You can never be prepared for this or that, but you can choose to face it as best you can, even when you don’t like it too much.” He tightened one of the strings on his instrument, and played a note. It was too sharp by a half, but from the delighted look on his face you would not have guessed it. “For example,” he said while tweaking the strings again, “I mentioned earlier that I had visited the Dreamweave once before. Have I ever told you that story?”

Proximo shook his head, so Jestin continued and began rocking back and forth while seated on the fountain. “Well, it was a few years ago, before I joined the Bronies. I was still a Bard Errant, so my trips here and there led me to the Painted Sea, from the Blurr to Sublimides and Indelio in the Devien Isles, and then the Dreamweave at the end! Have you ever seen Silkensigh in the fall, Proximo?”

“I can’t say I have, my lord.”

He sighed and gave a wistful smile. “Ah, you should. The whole city is gold and glowing, and all the little boats in the canals have singers on them. The wind has a taste like cinnamon to it. It’s nice!” He seemed to reminisce on that for half a moment, before returning to the story. “But anyways, I had just finished a round of the courts in Shadeling when I took a ship to the Dreamweave. I sang in the inns near the harbor, and then the main squares, and then the palace, after they invited me! I made many good friends along the way as well. One of them—Cabrio was his name—would tell me about everything there, from the names of the buildings to when it was built to the ways in and out of the city. Of course, things started leading to trouble.”

“What kind of trouble?”

Lord Jestin laughed. “One of the ladies in the court thought I was stealing from her, and before I knew it I had to run out of the city as fast as I could. I still don’t know where she got the idea. But anyways, I had to leave so suddenly that I left everything behind, aside from one thing.”

“And what was that?” Proximo asked.

Jestin leaned in and tapped the side of his nose. “That’s for another time, Proxi! But the point is, I had to leave everything I had at the Dreamweave, and that wasn’t fun at all, as you’d expect. But,” he said while turning the knob on his instrument, “I don’t look back on it badly.” He played another note, but again it came out of tune.

“Being a Laughing Friend,” he continued, “a lot of people think that it just means being happy all the time, but that’s not really it. Everyone has to deal with things they don’t expect, and I’m no different. The Laughing Friend Herself probably isn’t either. The point is,” he said while tuning his instrument once more, “when things like that happen, you’re still the one who decides to laugh or not, and that choice can be powerful. And who knows? Maybe something good will come out of it.”

He played a note one more time, and at last it sounded perfect. He closed his eyes and smiled, while Lady Semmer gave a soft laugh. But when Jestin opened his eyes, the look he gave Proximo was a very knowing one. “Your family lives near the Dreamweave, don’t they?” he said, not betraying his thoughts.

Proximo couldn’t help but shift in his seat. He could recall telling Lord Jestin that once, but it was still impressive that he had put two and two together so easily, and had known that the Warden of Honesty wasn’t the only cause for his concern. “They do,” Proximo replied, quieter than he would have hoped.

Jestin turned down to his instrument and began playing a few soft notes. Lady Semmer gave Proximo a concerned look. “How long has it been since you’ve seen them?” she asked.

“Two years,” Proximo heard himself saying, but in truth he could not believe it had really been that long. He tried to recall them all back at Hartshold: Gallia, constantly better and forever disapproving, and Aloysia, always jumping around and trying to show him some new drawing of hers. It made Proximo furious to think of how he once treated her. His father was looking down scornfully, as his only son walked out his door, never to return. “I can see whom you care for more,” came the cold words. “Join your friends then.”

He heard another voice as well. You never fail to disappoint, Hart. The scar across his chest tingled.

Jestin turned back to his instrument, and began strumming a few notes. “Do you think you’ll see them, while you’re there?” he asked. His face was expressionless, and his voice neutral.

“I think my father’s feelings on the matter were made quite clear the last time I saw them.” Gallia was the same way, no doubt. She had always followed Father’s lead. Proximo couldn’t say he particularly wanted to see them either, although he would have given the world to talk to Aly again. He could imagine how happy she would be if she saw him, tackling him over with a hug like she always tried to do before. He missed her more than anything else he had left behind to join the Collective, but she was too young to come visit him, and he couldn’t go home.

Lady Semmer edged closer to him, and moved a string of loose black hair from her eyes. “Perhaps you should see them, Mister Hart. Perhaps they miss you now.”

“The only family I need is here,” Proximo said with a wave of his hand, but saying that didn’t make it wholly true. He could still remember Aly.

Jestin smiled. “I always knew Violet had the most devoted assistant there was. I don’t know what she’d do without you, considering all the times she forgets to eat and everything.” He looked back down to his music and played it out more, letting it grow louder. It was a sweet song, whatever it was. “You know he will do anything to protect her as well, right?”

Will he? The Warden of Honesty’s devotedness was beyond anything human, for sure, but that didn’t mean he couldn’t cause more harm than good, or that Proximo was any happier to have to serve with him. But she seems to trust him, after all.

Proximo sighed. “I know. Forgive me, my lord, I was speaking without thinking. If Lord Mars trusts the Warden of Honesty with this mission then… well, I can try to as well. My only wish is for our success, and to keep Lady Violet safe.”

“Well, okay then!” Lord Jestin said, his face chipper. “Take a knee.”

“Pardon?” Proximo said.

Jestin did not look up from the strings. “Well, you said you’ll keep her safe, right?” He hopped down from the fountain, and slung his instrument over his shoulder. “Can you swear to it?”

Proximo was lost, but he nodded nonetheless. Obediently, Proximo went on one knee, though he still wasn’t certain what Lord Jestin meant. With Lady Semmer as witness, the lord strode over and stood in front of him as he knelt. “In the name of the Laughing Friend, will you seek joy despite unhappiness, and hope in darkness?”

“I will,” Proximo said, with his eyes to the floor.

“In the name of the Kind Friend, will you preserve harmony when you can, and forgive when others can’t?”

“I will.”

“In the name of the Loyal Friend, will you be forever devoted to those you call friend, and defend them from all you don’t?”

“Always,” he said, thinking of Lady Violet.

“In the name of the Generous Friend, will you provide to those in need, and give whatever you have to aid those who have nothing?”

“Yes, now and forever.”

Lord Jestin straightened himself, and put a hand on Proximo’s shoulder. “In the name of the Honest Friend, will you seek the truth, even when others won’t?”

“I swear,” Proximo said, imagining what lay in the Dreamweave.

“And in the name of the Magic Friend, will you follow the teachings of the Six and One faithfully?”

“I will.”

“And, above all, will you swear to protect our friend, Lady Violet, and all others who go with you on this mission, from anyone who would hurt them?”

Proximo looked back up to Lord Jestin, whose blue eyes were sparkling in the reflected evening light. “Yes, above all I promise that.”

“Then rise again, my generous friend, and do your duty. Go to the Dreamweave, help our friends, and keep her safe for us here at the Citadel. I know you will — an honest man keeps his promises.” The Laughing Lord smiled, backed up and sat himself on the bench beside Lady Semmer, who was giving him a knowing look. It was all Proximo could do to stumble up after him, thinking of what he had said. An Oath of Six, he thought. Few promises were as binding to a Brony of the Collective than one invoked in the names of the Six and One.

One would not have known the gravity seeing Jestin Jen, however. Sitting beside his friend, he began to play a song, and sang it out to the open yard.

“Where gold can see, where hearts are bound,
where dreams are ill, where truth is found,
how cold you are, oh yellow moon!
And how I pray I come home soon!”

* * * * * *

“Cross my heart and hope to fly…”

* * * * * *

“Consider the birds, the flowers, the sky above and the lands below. Was there not a time when all this was alien to us? When all things we now take for granted and hold dear seemed a danger? When we first formed from the Logos, any plant could be a poison, any creature a threat, any field a grave, any man a monster. Do not be quick to condemn that which you do not yet understand, for surely She would not.”

Anonymous Kind Friend

PreviousChapters Next