• Published 23rd Jan 2016
  • 2,665 Views, 126 Comments

Ponyville Fire Department - Rescue Sunstreak



A story of Rescue Sunstreak and the PVFD, and the honor, duty, and sacrifice all first responders give.

  • ...
9
 126
 2,665

PreviousChapters Next
57 - Prom and Questions

Pipsqueak stood in the entrance hall, his back to the stairs as he conversed with Randolph.

“You will do just fine, master Pipsqueak, I am quite sure of that.”

Before the paint pony could respond, he noted the old butler gesture. Turning his head, his eyes grew wide as saucers. Standing at the top of the stairs had to be a goddess!

A flowing silver dress graced the pink earth pony, its form hugging hers yet still granting ease for her to move. Pipsqueak spotted hints of stockings beneath the train of the dress that hung down just inches from the floor, and her mane done to flow off the side of her head and neck.

Sure, she had looked great on their first date, then the night of the Gala, and again for the various times they attended the Firefighter's Ball together. Tonight, however, was beyond all that. Tonight, he had no words, no thoughts. His brain froze up at the sight before him, as she looked back with a little concern on her face. She was always like that, he knew, and always worried what he thought of her.

Pip suddenly realized he had forgotten how to breathe, as it was Randolph who poked him in the side, bringing him back into reality to take a deep breath as the old butler whispered. ”Breathe, and greet your mare, master Pip,” in his ear.

“W-wow,” was all he could mumble.

This was enough to bring a red blush to the pink mare as she walked down the stairs, looking into Pip’s eyes with a shy smile.

“You look handsome tonight, Pip.”

Again, it took him a few blinks to process. They had been dating and seeing each other now for nearly a decade—seven years to be more precise—and yet she could still take his breath away just by flashing him a smile.

“I…” a pause followed, then he whispered, but Diamond heard it quite clear, and her blush grew brighter even as her eyes widened.

“I think I have a new favorite princess. Luna, forgive me.”

A throat cleared, and both earth ponies turned to glance at Filthy and the rest of the staff. Everypony had cameras, even Mrs. Twinkleworks, despite the cast on her rear left leg from the accident, stood there.

Pip stepped forward some so he was next to Diamond and turned his head, plucking the corsage off his back and looking at her. She reached up with a hoof and took it.

“I got one that—”

She had set the small box down, then used her hoof to lightly press to his lips. A smile on her muzzle, and a look of pure love in her eyes as she whispered.

“You talk too much, Pip,” then rested her hoof down again, she continued. “C-could you help me put it in my mane?”

Ignoring the older ponies all snapping what must be hundreds of pictures, Pip focused on opening the clear plastic box and taking out the pink-edged white orchid, its edges surrounded by silver baby's breath. He gently worked the little ribbon that hung from it into his date's mane, just in front of her left ear, whispering as he worked to secure the corsage.

“I-I love you, Diamond,” his heart beating faster while he spoke. It was not something he said out loud in front of the staff and Mr. Rich often.

With a smile that could have melted the heart of a windigo, the mare of his dreams whispered back. “I love you too, Pip.”

Pictures, so many pictures, despite the fact the staff members and Mr. Rich were all misty eyed by now.

---

Stepping out first, Pipsqueak trotted around the carriage he rented and opened the door to help Diamond Tiara step down, looking over to the stallion pulling it.

“Thank you, kind sir.”

The tuxedo-wearing stallion, one they both knew pretty well, considering Jim had been on the volunteer squad since its inception.

“Yous two have a fun night,” as he trotted off to pick up his next appointment and bring them to the prom.

Both earth ponies peered up as they heard the rush of air. A chariot came down and landed as smooth as can be, coming to a halt off to their side.

Two pegasi pulling the chariot were well known in Ponyville, and now, all of Equestria. Soarin and Rainbow Dash, both decked out in dress Wonderbolt uniforms. From the back, Rumble stepped down, offering his hoof to a brightly-blushing Scootaloo.

The small-winged mare took the hoof and eased down. The dress she wore hinted at the one worn so many years ago at the wedding of Cadence and Shining Armor. Its pink flowed long across her flanks and down to the ground, edged in purple-and-pink fabric flowers, and it complemented her form but left her wings free.

She looked up slowly. “Thank you, Rumble, and... thanks Mom, Dad.”

Both Wonderbolts smiled warmly, Rainbow speaking in a lite tone. “Enjoy yourselves,” as the two took back off, chariot in tow.

Rumble escorted his blushing date over to where Diamond and Pip stood. He glanced at the pink mare and smiled.

“You look very pretty tonight, Di.”

Pip smirked at that and looked to Scootaloo, the paint pony dipped his head. “May I add, Scoot, you look radiant,” recalling words to use that a certain fashionista taught him many years ago.

Both colts gave a knowing wink to each other, before turning to look. Up the road came a larger fiacre pulled by Big Mac. The red apple stallion had donned a coat with tails and a top hat as he brought the carriage to a stop. Three sets of ponies sat in the back, one made to open the small door. Leaping down, Spike turned and tugged the step stool out of its place in the side of the wagon and set it on the ground. The Tux wearing drake then offered up his right claw, helping down his fiance.

Sweetie Belle stepped down, wearing what was clearly one of Rarity’s hoof-made dresses. This one a lighter pink than Scootaloo’s, trimmed with purple frill just like her pegasus best friends. However the roses stitched to this one each had a small green center that matched her iris color perfectly. Moving with her soon to be to stand aside.

Next to step down was a sight few of them had seen before. Silver Spoon wore a dark black tux, much like the stallions did, her silver-and-grey hair not done up in her typical braid but combed out and brushed to lay across her neck like many stallion styles did. She turned and offered up her hoof, helping the last of the Cutie Mark Crusaders down.

Apple Bloom’s dress, like the two other Crusaders, bore a striking resemblance. Pink with purple trim, cut in a far more traditional western-country style, her bow one with a matching purple edge trim to it. However, what differed were the fabric flowers. Each was a daisy rather than a rose, and each had a center of a soft orange like her iris color.

Rumble chuckled some. “Dude, we just got upstaged by Silver Spoon!” the drake and paint pony both gave a nod as the mares all observed the last of them walk over and join the group.

Glancing back to the wagon, the group watched the fifth couple step out. A light olive-green stallion in a matching black tuxedo, as the rest had on, stepped down. Carrot looked up, smiling as he offered his his hoof to his much bigger date.

To say there was much of a surprise among them all would be a understatement, for none of them had ever seen Lily in anything but her uniform, or nothing at all like most ponies did. Stepping down from the carriage, the sizable draft mare shyly smiled.

Her long flowing dress done in a patterned layer of light-to-dark-purple that shimmered softly in the moonlight, trimmed with a blue that matched her deep eyes. The most striking feature of all had been the soft hints of silver worked into it, stars just hinted at, that shimmered as she moved. The usually-rough-and-tumble mare’s mane brushed out and styled.

To say all the stallions and lone dragon had to take a pause was another understatement in itself. Diamond spoke up first, glancing at the taller mare next to the smaller olive stallion.

“Wow, Lily, you look...” pausing. “Amazing, you are so beautiful!” the other girls, including Silver, nodding in agreement.

Blushing that much harder, the draft mare tucked her head some and spoke in her soft way. “T-thank you, Diamond, you look great, too. You all do.”

Five couples looked back and forth before a few laughed and a lot of smiles were shared.

Silver Spoon turned and looked at the dapper-dressed big apple stallion. She smiled a bit “Thank you for giving us a ride, Big Mac,” she leaned way up, smooching his cheek softly.

He just gave a nod, with a light blush showing on his cheeks. “Eeyup, now you youngin's mind yer manners now, and have ah good night,” then he lowered his tone just a bit and said to Silver. “An, if'ns you get to drinking even a bit, you have somepony fetch me. Ah won’t be mad, ah will take all of ya home safe, okay?”

She nodded and a smiled, then turned as he headed off, walking back over to her date, she glanced at everypony else who had all heard the proud draft stallion's words. A nod was given by each in turn.

“Can you believe it, two months more of school and then, we ship off to the Academy,” Scootaloo added, voice softer than usual.

Pip smiled. “Come on guys, let's go inside. This is our prom,” as he hooked his front leg to lead Diamond inside.

---

Glancing at the clock, Pip smiled softly, relaxed, and looked back out at the ponies on the dance floor, taking note of some of the couples out on it. Over to one side, he spotted Spike grabbing two glasses of punch, It was hard to miss Lily and Carrot. The big draft filly and smaller earth pony stallion surrounded by a large group of their classmates.

The vote for King and Queen of the Senior Prom had been almost unanimous in their favor. They deserved it, too, they were far too humble, and had been behind almost every charity and fund drive the school had held for the last four years. Pip smiled at that, watching his friends get the accolades they deserved.

“They really do fit together, don’t they?” Diamond asked in a soft tone.

Turning to look at his date, his fillyfriend, his heart, Pip found himself nodding. “They do. I think of all our friends, they are about as perfect a couple as you can get.”

Pipsqueak pondered some, then he gave a smirk. “Like Mr. and Mrs. Cake, they just kind of... fit.”

Diamond gave a nod of her head at that.

“Di, will you take a walk with me? I want to show you something. It’s not far, just, please... I want to share this with you.”

She lifted her ears, looking at the colt she had fallen in love with for a long moment, then nodded. “All right, Pip, lead the way.”

Outside, along the path and away from the gymnasium, out through the fence and down the street. There was hurry to their walk. Both looked up and admired the brightly-twinkling stars and shining moon in the sky, despite the light from the gaslamps they walked past, up to a little picket white fence, the paint colt opened the gate.

“Why are we at the elementary school?”

Pip shook his head saying nothing as he walked in after her, he guided her over near the stairs to the little red buildings door. Both glancing at the now well-used and aged, but cared-for playground equipment. So much had changed on this very spot for Diamond, and for Pip. Turning her head to look at him, she saw he had a rather odd look on his face. He laid his ears back and spoke.

“Nine years ago,” he paused as both heard the clock on town hall start to strike midnight.

“On this very spot, strangely enough, on this very day,” letting the chimes ring out until they ceased, turning back to look at the confused pink earth pony.

“You changed, Diamond, and with that change, you showed me kindness, care. You spoke some words to me that day. You said to me, I think everything will work out just fine.”

She was blushing now, and he could see it in her cheeks, in her ears. “Pip, I... I can’t believe you remember that.”

He continued. “Diamond, since that day you have been a rock for everyone. You have helped lead all our friends on to bigger and better things. You... you helped me most. You stood at my side and never let me fall even when I was recovering from my burns. I came to understand something since that day, Di, I am not complete without you.”

She turned her head away, embarrassed. When she looked back, she sucked in a deep breath. Pip was kneeling down, and in his hoof sat a small blue box. She found herself locked eye-to-eye with the stallion.

“Diamond Tiara, I have already asked your father for permission. Now, I ask you. Will you marry me?”

She let out a very real whimper, all she could do was nod her head yes, her brain going a million miles an hour, but not one thought transitioning to words to be spoken. She watched as he opened up the box. Inside was a thin, thin golden chain, with a small medallion on it. His cutie mark, with a small diamond set in the center. She just blinked and whispered.

“O-oh... oh, Pip... Y-y... yes!”

His smile grew wide as he stood and drew the chain out, slowly putting it around her neck as he hugged her, and clasped it behind her neck.

She clung to him in a hug, tight as she dared, feeling him return the crushing embrace. Both of their ears perked as hooves started to pound the ground and clap together. A few hoots, a few ‘yeah!’ from their left. Turning, both still holding each other, to see the whole class there.

Everypony was stomping on the ground, other than Spike, who was clapping his claws. Tears were in not a few eyes, including Silver Spoon who had one leg around a softly sobbing Apple Bloom. Everypony in the group with a wide smile, as if they had all expected this for a long time now.

Rumble gave a grin. “About darn time, Squeaker.”

Pip fired back with a bright grin on his muzzle. “Shut up, Rumdumb.”

Pip was the only one to hear the happy tone in Diamond’s voice as she whispered very quietly, rolling her eyes with a grin. “Idiots.”

Author's Note:

Can you believe it, next chapter is it, the book is over.

PreviousChapters Next