• Published 23rd Jan 2016
  • 2,666 Views, 126 Comments

Ponyville Fire Department - Rescue Sunstreak



A story of Rescue Sunstreak and the PVFD, and the honor, duty, and sacrifice all first responders give.

  • ...
9
 126
 2,666

PreviousChapters Next
20 - Fallen Angel

Sleeping while curled up against Ailan, just as Rescue did every night. It was quiet, and was just about as perfect as it could get. However, it was not to be. The high pitch beeping of the alert box on the table kicked in. Rescue sat up, rolled out of bed onto his hooves even as Ailan was trying to wake up.

Moving over to the table, his one ear perked hearing Pipsqueak open his door and look out tiredly. “Dad?”

“Call-box two,” as he heard Ailan’s hooves hit the ground. “Go back to bed, Pip.”

Rescue was dressed before Ailan even put his harness on, but he had been doing this for quite a while now.

“Rescue, Box two, that is the one across from the Crystal Castle right?”

Rescue nodded in response as he snatched up his helmet and slid it on, buckling the strap beneath his chin. “Catch up when you can.”

He was off and running, being as big as he was. He could move at a great speed, taking long strides despite being a draft stallion, made for power not quickness. Off in the distance, he could hear the sirens of the wagons begin to wail, though he knew he would be there first.

Spinning around a corner, he could see the house, the lower floor fully engulfed. Smoke rolled up into the sky in an angry manner. Rescue was the first there, and looked around, seeing a mare and stallion run up to him with a tiny infant foal in the mare’s grip.

“You have to help! She is still in there, she is still…”

He gave a serious look at the mare in panic, then at the stallion. “Who, and where?!”

The stallion pointed. “Upper floor, second door... Chief, Archer is still in there!”

Like a slug to the gut, it all hit him. He knew the two in front of him. He knew them well, and his head pivoted like it was on a spring. He didn’t even pause to take a breath as he launched himself, yelling as he ran for the flaming building. “Tell them I went in!”

His body crashed into the half-open front door with enough force to shatter it. All he could think about was the foal, the little filly in danger, and his own past screaming in his mind now. Eyes that had spent years took in the room, the stairs up were clogged with smoke but appeared stable. He had no other options.

Testing with a hoof and ignoring the heat along his face, Rescue took a moment to snap the helmet visor down and started up the stairs. The wood under him creaked and moaned, but held for now as he reached the top. The smoke was thick, he coughed and lowered himself down best he could. Crawling now, he called out with a bellow. “Archer, stay where you are! I am coming to get you.”

The heat was growing beneath him, signalling he didn’t have much time. Reaching the second door, he tested the surface with his leg, it wasn’t hot. That was a good sign. Then, he noted the edges of a rag stuffed under the door. 'Good filly!' He thought. Rescue took a deep breath and stood, then spun and bucked his hinds. Knocking the door down, open he used his momentum to spin back forth and look around. His heart sunk, there the little filly lay on the floor, motionless. He grabbed her, ignoring the smoke, disregarding the need to breathe in the smog that burned in his lungs.

He knew he was stupid for trying this without a breather, but time was not on his side. Slinging the limp foal across his back, he was out into the hall and heading for the stairs. The air burned in his lungs, he didn’t have much in him left. Down, down he went, leaping the last two steps. His rear right hoof punched through the floor and he let out a yelp of pain as the wood bit in to him. Giving no thought, Rescue yanked it back out of the hole left as fire jumped up out behind it.

Out the door and across the small yard, he skidded to a stop as he saw the mare and stallion running for him. He didn’t have time for them, however. Laying the foal on the ground, part of him could hear the sirens coming closer, the flashing red and blue starting to bounce around the buildings as the wagons approached.

First things first, ignoring the mare in hysterics and the stallion holding her back, Rescue lifted his ear near Archer’s mouth and checked for chest movement. His heart sunk, she wasn’t breathing! Hoof up, turning her head and pressing his hoof into her throat. Life came to a grinding halt for a moment. He could hear nothing, see nothing except his hoof in place, and the silence of the body he was checking.

Time started again and his hooves rolled her onto her back. He was up on his haunches and his forehooves on her chest. He began to perform chest compressions at a steady pace, carefully focused on what he was doing. He heard someone skid up beside him, just by the pattern of hooves and breathing, he knew it was Ice.

“Ambu bag, trauma kit, and red box, now!” He ordered.

Rescue continued compressions until she skidded back up next to him with the supplies. He could hear Bull barking out orders off to the side and taking control. He heard Ailan gently pulling the two parents and the tiny foal with them back to a safe distance. However, he could not look up. Archer’s life depended on him staying focused.

“Ice, kick the redbox open, extend the antenna. Tell Mercy we are going to transport.”

She gave a nod and did as told, not once pausing to marvel at the technology once more; a box, filled with crystals and magic. It allowed them to speak with the hospital, to a doctor directly. They could even transmit EKG across this connection. Once more, Luna had pushed to equip the Equestria Fire Department with the best out there, and they were one of five stations in the world with this box. She glanced over to see Rescue grab the ambu and pump twice lightly, forcing fresh air into the fillies lungs, then initiated compressions again. Picking up the microphone in her hoof, she said, “Mercy, this is Rescue One.”

A few moments later, the speaker on it crackled, then a voice followed. It sounded like Nurse Redheart. “Rescue One, Mercy, go.”

“Mercy, we have one victim, female, age ten. Smoke inhalation. We have started chest compressions, transport available.”

There was a pause then a new voice, deeper, male. “Rescue One, Transport stat. Continue compressions. Trauma team, standing by.”

Rescue flicked an ear as he listened to Ice take full control. Leaving him to focus on slow, steady compressions. Soon a backboard was under the foal, and he was in the rear of the rescue wagon on his knees. He continued to perform the compressions despite how tired he was becoming. Sweat beaded up on his forehead, but he could not stop. This was one of the Explorers.

The trip to the hospital seemed like it took months, or longer, when in fact it was one of the fastest ones done and still safe. Little did Rescue know that Big Mac had arrived just in time, and had pulled for all he was worth. Rescue didn’t see the big red pony nearly collapse as they rushed the filly in past him. He just stayed on the gurney they had ready, kneeling over her and continuing his movements. It was only once inside he was relieved and told to stand down, did he blink. Standing there, staring at the door to the room they took her in. He didn’t hear the nurse next to him until she walked out in front of him.

“Chief, you are injured," she spoke softly

Rescue blinked and looked down slowly, seeing a light burn on his hind hoof, and the trickle of blood coming from his turnouts. He just gave a nod and on autopilot, followed her. The nurse cleaned him up, a bandage around where she had to pull a four inch-long splinter of wood out of his hoof, very painfully too. When he finally limped out to the lobby, he noticed of four of the Junior Firefighters there with their parents. He also saw Ailan with Pip. A few of the others were there including Applejack, as well as all of the ones that could make it and were not on the fire callout.

A few asked him questions, he just shook his head. His legs felt like lead, his lungs and chest felt like they were set ablaze. One thing he did also realize, was Archer’s parents were nowhere to be seen. This worried him some, but he shrugged it off. Archer would be fine, however, he did find himself pulling Pipsqueak very close and holding him to his side.

It seemed like hours later, when in fact it was only ten, perhaps fifteen minutes. His ears lifted as the muffled scream of a mare came from down the hall. A few minutes later, he watched a doctor come out of the trauma room. He looked down the hall and made eye contact with Rescue.

The world came to a complete stop again as Rescue watched the doctor's ears flatten, and his head lower. Rescue’s heart gave a lurch, and without thinking he squeezed the little paint colt tighter. A few of the others had not missed things, He heard Applejack let out a sob and then take off. Ailan was suddenly at his side, sandwiching in Pip. It was not hard for the foals to pick up on what was going on just as a small pink filly escorted by her father walked in.

Diamond was no fool, she had heard Archer was hurt. However, seeing the chief’s face, seeing the looks, seeing the doctor standing there in the lobby with tears racing down his cheek, the world narrowed to a black tunnel. She heard some filly wail in terror and then, she hit the ground with a thud.

---

It was an all-hooves on event. Fire ponies and chiefs from all over Equestria had come. A representative group from the griffon kingdoms, the diamond dogs, even as far away as the Saddle Arabian nation had come. Every one of them were decked out in dress blues, every last one with a black band over their badge.

They took Archers casket, draped in the Equestria Fire Department flag. It rode on the top of the pump wagon, pulled by four pony, all chiefs. At the front hitch, the Fire Chief of the Griffonian Fire Department. At his side, the Chief of the Diamond Dog nation hooked up.

They walked five-wide behind the wagon, over five hundred fire ponies, civilians, and family. Walking at the right side of the wagon, all of the members of the Ponyville Fire Department. Behind them, the foals of the Junior Firefighter Explorers walked, with one spot missing in the middle of them.

No eye in Ponyville was dry, not in the walk, not in the ponies and griffons lining the road through the center of Ponyville as they headed past the station and making way to the local cemetery. One of theirs had fallen, and she would be remembered no matter what.

Rescue walked at the side of Archer's family, silent. The war inside him forced down for now, he could not afford to show weakness or tears. He was a rock they needed and that the whole department looked to.

The procession moved along to where they would put Archer to rest. It was six of their own that slid the finely-polished wood coffin from the wagon and carried it over to the small table set for it, under a large tarp tent. Rescue took note of the quiet presence of all four princesses standing off to one side. Once everypony was gathered, he stepped up to the podium and let out a deep breath. There next to him on a table was the brass bell kept in the station’s shrine. He looked out, all he could see was hurt, pain, and loss. Yet, it was his job to stay calm. He had to keep it together for them all.

Clearing his throat and looking down at the note cards, Rescue spoke in a clear, deep voice.

“Junior Firefighter Archer was not on a call when she met her fate. Rather, she was the call, and still she fought with every last ounce of herself. She earned a place among our fallen," he paused, taking a soft breath before continuing.

“The mares and stallions of today’s fire service are confronted with a more dangerous work environment than ever before. We are forced to continually change our strategies and tactics to accomplish our tasks. Our methods may change, but our goals remain the same as they were in the past, to save lives and to protect property, sometimes at a terrible cost. This is what we do, this is our chosen profession, this is the tradition of the firefighter. The fire service of today is ever changing, but is steeped in traditions one-thousand years old. One such tradition is the sound of a bell."

"In the past, as firefighters began their tour of duty, it was the bell that signaled the beginning of that day’s shift. Throughout the day and night, each alarm was sounded by a bell, which summoned these brave souls to battle the flames and to place their lives in jeopardy for the good of their fellow citizens. And when the fire was out and the alarm had come to an end, it was the bell that signaled to all the completion of that call. When a firefighter had perished in the line of duty, paying the supreme sacrifice, it was the mournful toll of the bell that solemnly announced a comrade's passing."

"We utilize these traditions as symbols, which reflect honor and respect on those who have given so much and who have served so well. To symbolize the devotion that these brave souls had for their duty, a special signal of three rings, three times each, represents the end of our comrades’ duties, and that they will be returning to quarters. And so, to those who have selflessly given their lives for the good of their fellow man, their tasks completed, their duties well done, to our comrades, their last alarm, they are going home.”

Rescue glanced over at his father, and gave a single nod. The Fire Chief turned, and rang out the code. Three rapid rings, three times spaced each time by one second. Rescue exhaled and looked to the group once more.

“The Honor Guard will now recite the firefighters prayer.”

Turning and looking at his team, all of them flanking nine foals who were dressed in matching dress uniforms, each holding back tears he could see, but wanting to show their best. They spoke as a group, Thirty nine total voices.

“When I am called to duty, Luna, wherever flames may rage, give me strength to save a life, whatever be its age. Help me embrace a little foal, before it is too late, or save an older pony from the horror of that fate. Enable me to be alert, and hear the weakest shout, quickly and efficiently to put the fire out. I want to fill my calling, to give the best in me, to guard my friend and neighbor, and protect his property. And if according to your will, I must answer death's call, bless with your protecting hoof, my family one and all.”
Once more, Rescue looked out at the gathered ponies and others of the world. He lowered his head and said in a soft tone, but one loud enough for all to hear.

“Junior Firefighter Archer, has returned to station.”

---

Applejack was worried, enough so that when Ailan had shown up to ask if she had seen Rescue. She had started to look around, and soon a large group was looking for him. It was Berry Punch that had caught Twilight’s attention to a break-in at her bar. Oddly, she had explained, only two bottles of whiskey were missing, and there were bits on the bar, enough to pay for the missing booze, and the broken lock. Now, a large posse was looking for the big stallion.

Rescue, however, knew they would, and had found himself a nice spot. Far off, near Ghastly Gorge, he sat in a little outcropping of rocks and trees that looked out to where the moon sat in the sky.

“So, you killed a foal, good job.”

That voice. It was back, and he knew why. He had failed, he had let one of his own perish because he was not good enough to save her. Now, he had buried her with full honors, not that it would bring any comfort to her parents.

“So, what now, loser? Going to do something smart, perhaps jump off the cliff and end it? Might be for the best before you kill someone else.”

He closed his eyes and muttered. “We will see.”

Then he lifted up a bottle of amber liquid, and started to drain it down, ignoring the burn as he kept going, hoping it would silence the voice.

Author's Note:

All who read this.

The bell ceremony is a very real thing. It is steeped in tradition and honor. I have included it word for word, only changing out Mare and Stallion rather than Man or Woman. Please understand I have used it with the highest amount of respect for all first responders who give their life in the line of duty.

This story is a bit more to me too. I watched my father struggle after preforming CPR on the brother of a friend of mine as a kid. The brother had OD'ed and my father preformed CPR for 30 minutes before they called it. This bothered him, I think it still does to this day. I know he quit the volunteer firefighter squad just two weeks after.

Writing this, I will admit I cried. I cried because of the loss to families all over the world, and for the struggle my own father faced.

To each and every one of you in the service, be it military, firefighter, or police. Know that I hold all that charge into the jaws of danger with high regard. ...

Thank you.

PreviousChapters Next