• Published 22nd Jan 2016
  • 5,336 Views, 269 Comments

Through the Mirror - Darth Link 22



Twilight must venture into the Human World to retrieve her crown, and she only has a few allies and a limited amount of time to do it.

  • ...
12
 269
 5,336

Conversation

Twilight was just getting used to the body as Luna sat, trying to drink tea to suit her nerves. Left foot, right foot, it was starting to get easier. But these humans didn’t even have a tail for balance!

The living room was like the rest of the house that twilight had seen. It was neat and clean, but still had a lived-in feel. A large shelf decorated with books, a sofa and two armchairs with a table, and a strange screen that sat on a stand across from the sofa.

“Okay... so there’s a talking dog, a girl who looks like a human but isn’t, and apparently magic exists?”

“That is the case,” Celestia said.

...

“I don't even know what to say about that.”

Spike, who had been laying on a couch cushion next to the sisters, could only look. “These are the Humans? I kind of expected them to be more... together than this.”

“Spike, be nice,” Twilight said before she fell on the carpet. “Besides, Humans must be great to be able to walk like this.”

Celestia took a deep breath. “Why don’t you tell us the full story? For starters, if you’re not human... what are you?”

“I’m a pony,” Twilight said, reaching for her backpack. She pulled out a photo album and handed it to her. “Here, I brought a few from home in case I ran into a friendly face.”

Celestia took the album and opened it up. Twilight had only brought a select few photos, so she knew she’d be in them.

“You’re the purple one, I take it?”

Twilight nodded. “And Spike’s the dragon.”

“Are you sure I can’t have any whiskey?” Luna asked. The glare Celestia gave her sister caused her to shrink back. She turned back to the album and paused. “What’s this you and Spike are holding?”

Twilight had a feeling what Luna was talking about, and as soon as she saw the photo it was confirmed. It was the two of them, both their eyes still wet from tears, and holding a piece of paper in front of them.

“Spike’s adoption certificate. He’s my son.”

“That’s sweet,” Celestia said.

“So he’s really not your pet,” Luna muttered.

“That’s right I’m not,” Spike said. A growl was actually starting to escape his lips.

“Spike,” Twilight warned. She turned to the sisters. “Sorry, we’ve had... less than pleasant experiences with ponies that don’t treat him very well.”

The principal turned back to Twilight and nodded. “This is all so very strange. What brought you here?”

“You saw, Sunset.” she took a deep breath. “Sunset is like me. She isn’t from this world. She’s from Equestria.”

“Really?” Celestia asked. “But... she has paperwork, a Social Security card, everything!”

“Those can be forged,” Luna muttered. “Why is she here?”

She took a deep breath. “Long ago, Sunset used to be the prized student of my mentor, Princess Celestia.”

“Wait, what?” Luna said.

“I don’t quite get it, but there’s another version of both of you in my world. Princess Celestia rules over the day, while Princess Luna rules over the night.”

“We’re both Princesses? Then who’s the king and queen?” Celestia asked.

“There isn’t one. We used to have them, but after our tribes united, we kept Princess as the highest title after one of our founders.” She held up a hand as the two opened their mouths. “I’ll explain that later, but I think you want to hear why I’m here first.”

The two silenced themselves.

“Sunset used to study under Princess Celestia. However, she eventually grew too power-hungry. She disappeared through a magic mirror, which led her here. She recently came back here to steal the Element of Magic.”

“The what now?” Celestia asked.

In response, Twilight took the album and opened to another picture. It was a photo taken just after the defeat of NightMare Moon. It featured all of her friends, each sporting their Element of Harmony, with Spike and the two princesses in as well.

“Magic is one of the six Elements of Harmony. They are very powerful magical artifacts that my friends and I were chosen to wield.” She pointed to her crown. “This crown is mine.”

“That looks like the crown to our Fall Formal,” Celestia noted.

Twilight looked at her. “Sunset tried to swap it out with a fake... maybe that was it.”

“She actually offered to help design the crown. Then she got a petition together to use her idea.”

“And we couldn’t figure out how many of those signatures were the result of her ‘persuasion’.” Luna’s comment came with a heavy voice of resignation.

“I was sent here to get it back. The portal back home won’t open for another month, so I have until then to track Sunset down and get my Element back.”

There was silence for a moment.

“If it wasn’t for the talking dog, I don’t think I’d believe it,” Luna said.

Celestia took a deep breath. “Sunset’s address should be in the school’s computers. Tomorrow I’ll go down there and get it for you, then we can go track her down.”

Twilight nodded. “Thank you, I owe you a lot... but what’s a computer?”

“I’ll tell you after dinner. Right now I need some questions answered. How old is Sunset?”

Twilight blinked. “She was seventeen when she disappeared through the portal, and twelve years have passed since then.”

That got them both to gasp. “Twenty nine? but... she looks only sixteen!”

Twilight thought a bit. “Didn’t you say that Sunset had just left when I came through?”

“Yes,” Celestia said. “She came through the portal, then she ran towards some bushes and rifled through them. When I called her name, she saw me, got scared, and ran off. Not ten seconds later you came through.”

“That doesn’t add up. I spent half a day preparing to follow her. Time must flow differently between the two worlds.”

“...Sure, why not?” Luna said.

“How long ago did Sunset come to your school?” Twilight asked.

“It was about two years ago,” Celestia said. “She started out as a pretty normal girl, but she developed a bad reputation pretty quickly.”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean bullying, blackmail, a whole list of offenses,” Luna said, sounding like she was tired from reaching for something forever just inches from her grip. “We’ve been trying to get her suspended for months, but she’s as slippery as an eel. She always does just enough to keep herself safe.”

A ding sounded from the kitchen, causing Luna to perk up. “That means dinner’s ready. Why don’t we eat while we discuss this further.”


Dinner came with two further complications. The first was Luna nearly setting Spike’s plate on the floor. She quickly realized how offensive he might find it and offered to place it on the table with a few big, thick books acting as a high chair.

The second involved Twilight having to use silverware with hands for the first time. It was awkward, but by observing the sisters a bit she made a decent job of it.

At first, the conversation was dominated by Twilight, who was answering questions about Equestria and the story of Hearth’s Warming Eve. The topic turned to Twilight giving a full account of Sunset’s theft.

“Hopefully we can get this solved tomorrow,” Celestia said. “Until then, if anyone asks, we’ll say you’re our niece from out of town, coming to visit a while.”

“Sounds as good a cover as any,” Twilight said. She had to admit Luna was a good cook. She wondered if her Luna was this good.

“As long as we don’t have to keep things up for long,” Luna pointed out. “You said you were going to be here a whole month.”

Twilight nodded. “I’ll stay out of sight as much as possible,” she said. “I just want to get my Element and get back home to the others.”

“Speaking of those others, they look a lot like some of our other students,” Luna said.

That got Twilight to perk up just before another bite entered her mouth. “Who? What are their names?” Spike also looked up from his meal in curiosity.

Luna swallowed a bite before answering. “Let’s see... Applejack, Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, and...” Luna thought a moment. “...Fluttershy. Yes, she’s so quiet it’s hard to remember.”

Twilight actually squealed at that. “That’s them. My friends have alternates here too! Maybe they can help us...”

“Uh, Twilight? They aren’t the same ones we know back home,” Spike said.

“I know that. But Celestia and Luna seem as friendly as the other versions of them.” She turned back to the sisters. “But maybe we won’t need them anyway, if it’s just a visit to Sunset’s house away.”

“Here’s hoping,” Celestia said.

“Still, maybe it’s a good idea to read up on our cultures,” Luna said. “Maybe you should get on the computer after dinner.”

“What is a computer?” Twilight said.

“The technical definition is that it’s an electronic device that stores data. We use them for all kinds of things, but the Internet is the big one.”

Twilight blinked at Celestia’s explanation. “The Internet.”

“It’s a large network of information that connects computers all over the world together. You can get information on just about anything. It’s like having a large library right in your home. ...Twilight? Twilight? Are... are you drooling?”

Luna reached out in front of Twilight and snapped her fingers twice. No reply.

Spike placed a paw on his head. “Good going. I don’t think you could have broken her any faster.”

Then Twilight stood up. “You have to show me this computer!”


Twilight felt her fingers tremble in anticipation as the screen in front of her lit up. It displayed a picture of Celestia and Luna in their home, with several icons all bunched together to the left. She looked down at the smaller device in front of her.

“So... you put the letters in your alphabet in a different order?”

Celestia blinked. “What?”

“Our alphabet has the same letters, but this keyboard has them in a different order. Ours went a, b, c...”

“That’s how our alphabet goes,” Celestia said. “The keyboard is left over from when we used typewriters. Since typing too fast jammed the things, we made the system as inefficient as possible.”

“And you just kept them after this long?”

Celestia shrugged. “Well, the keys are arranged in a convenient way too. Now, you’re going to take the mouse,” she guided Twilight to a small device, “and as you move it, the pointer on the screen moves as well.”

Twilight watched the demonstration, her eyes widening. “How does this work?”

“You can look it up online. Now, move your cursor over to that icon and right click... that is, click with the right button.”

The screen showed a single screen with a strange word. “Google?”

“That’s the name of the search engine. Now listen, you have to be careful what you read on this thing. Any idiot can post anything on here with no regard to whether or not it’s true. So I’m directing you to an online encyclopedia that actually cites sources.”

It took a bit of maneuvering, but Celestia taught Twilight how to get onto the front page.

“Okay then, now just type what you want to learn about in the search bar.”

Celestia didn’t give any instruction after that, and Twilight thought she knew why. She had noticed her ability to learn quickly, and now she wanted to see Twilight learn by trial and error.

She tried typing. When the words didn’t appear, she brought the pointer to the search bar and clicked. Then she typed “car” and hit the button labeled go.

The search results came up. Twilight only took a moment to click on the first one.


Twilight fell into an unresponsive state quickly, and Celestia thought it best to leave her to it. She sat on the couch, with Spike laying on the cushion next to her and Luna on the dog’s other side.

“Already in study mode. I’ll be lucky if I can get her to sleep tonight.”

Luna actually smirked at that. “Are you sure you’re the child in that relationship?”

Spike shrugged... or at least, tried to. “I love Twilight, and she has taken care of me since I’ve hatched, but she can get... obsessive when it comes to learning. I have to keep her in line when she does that.”

Celestia smiled. “Well then, she’s lucky to have you.”

Spike grinned. “Um... you wouldn’t happen to have anything for me to do, would you? Any comic books or anything?”

She shook her head. “Afraid not.”

Luna perked up. “I have an idea.” She picked up what looked like a small screen on the end table next to her. “I can download some comics and games on my tablet for you.”

Spike tilted his head. “Download?”

“We can buy things on the Internet and store them in these devices electronically,” Celestia explained. “That includes things for you to do.”

Spike brightened. “Cool... uh, are you sure you’re not spending too much money on us? We’re already getting free food...”

“It’s a drop in the bucket,” Luna promised. “Not come on, come over here and tell me what looks interesting to you...”

“...Paper.”

Everyone stopped and looked at Twilight.

“Paper. I need paper. If there’s anything like this oil in Equestria, I can revolutionize technology in a generation! Do you have any paper? And quills?”

“Oh Celestia,” Spike muttered.

“Excuse me?” Celestia said.

Spike blinked. “Oh, right... you’re not all-powerful, are you?”

Celestia blinked and turned back to Twilight. “Why don’t I show you how to save those pages so we can print them out later?”

“...I can just make these in a physical form?”

“...And there goes the last chance she’s sleeping tonight,” Spike sighed.

Author's Note:

Edited this from the tablet, since I'm stuck at the office.