• Published 25th Jun 2012
  • 1,936 Views, 486 Comments

Life Goes On - Blue Breeze



The continuing life of Blue Breeze.

  • ...
6
 486
 1,936

Bonus Chapter: Blue's Birthday

Author's Note: Yes, I realize that my birthday passed five days ago and this is pretty irrelevant, but screw relevancy. I'm doing this in attempt to escape my rut and finally give my long-starving fans something to read. Plus, I'm hoping to use this as a platform to get my writing mojo back. Here's to hoping, eh? And as per usual with bonus chapters, this is not part of the main canon. Now, on with the story(god, it feels good to say that again).

On a bright Saturday morning we find... Zephyr? Okay, I'll roll with it. We find Zephyr sleeping in bed with Octavia after a long night of sleeping, among other things.

The lean stallion groggily gets up and lets out a yawn as he stretches his limbs out in all directions. He looks down and smiles warmly at his sleeping fiancé before giving her a gentle kiss on the cheek as to not awake her.

Now awake enough to get to the bathroom without bumping into everything on the way, he does just that as he goes to start his day.

As he shaves his face of blue stubble, he starts getting a thought in his head. 'Hmm, I feel like I'm forgetting something. Something important. Dang it, why does my memory continue to fail me?'

His thought is suddenly cut off as he cuts his chin and yelps in pain. He rubs the newly formed cut on his face as he looks at his razor angrily. "Stupid thing!"

Not the razor's fault you don't pay attention.

After tending to his bleeding cut, Zephyr begins to brush his teeth as he continues trying to remember that important thing he apparently forgot.

'Is the heat soon? No, that can't be it. It it me and Tavi's anniversary? No, too soon. What is it?' he thinks to himself as he kept eliminating possibilities.

Just then, Zeph turns his head to a calendar he had hanging up and spits his mouth full of water at the bathroom mirror as he sees the circled date.

"September 12th Blue's Birthday! Don't forget!"

That sure did help, didn't it?

Zeph facehoofs so hard a smack can be heard, but he's too upset to feel it. "Oh, how in Luna's moon could I forget about this?" he says out loud, embarrassed. He looks at himself in the mirror with determination. "No, don't freak out. Just hurry up and you can still make it up!"

He quickly finishes brushing his teeth as he hurries out of the bathroom, now waking Octavia up.

She rubs her eyes as she looks at him. "Zephyr? What in Equestria are you in such a hurry for?"

He walks past the bed to the door, not bothering to stop for even a second. "Sorry, Tavi. I gotta go. It's Blue's birthday today and I gotta go wish him a happy one."

"Oh, well, do make sure to tell him I wish him a happy birthday as well."

"Will do. See ya, Tavi." he says to her before turning his head to the tank of his pet spider. "Bye, Archie. See you both later."

Zeph shuts the door behind himself before quickly flying down stairs and quickly heads out the front door as he begins searching around town in an attempt to find me.

In his frantic searching, he the force of his flying blows some ponies back a bit, knocks over some produce, and nearly makes him hit a crossing elderly pony.

I think Ponyville should issue some speed limits for things like this.

Zephyr continues his low flying as he makes a sharp turn around a corner. His eyes widen though as he sees a big mess of pink fluff in front of him with a huge smile on her face.

"Hi!" Pinkie greets excitedly, not even flinching at Zeph's speed.

His eyes widen as he can't stop, so he desperately tries to steer himself only to crash upside down into a bale of hay.

Pinkie giggles at him as he spits out a wad of hay. She giddily bounces over and looks straight at him. "Heya, Zephy."

"Hey, Pinkie." he says weekly, feeling dizzy from the crash. "You mind helping me up? I don't feel so good"

"Oh, oops. Sorry about that. Sure, give me your hoof." she says apologetically as she takes one of his forehooves and helps him back to his hooves. "You okay?"

Zephyr rubs his head and dusts off some loose hay from his coat as he gets back up. "Yeah, I'll be fine. So, what were you doing just standing there like that?"

"Oh, I had saw you zoom-zoomin' all around town and wondered what you were doing, so I decided to take a shortcut and cut you off.." she explains before before fluttering her eyelashes at him. "So, what'cha doin'?"

"Well, today's Blue's birthday and I was on my way to go wish him a happy birthday and maybe do something with him."

"Oh, that makes sense." Pinkie says with a straight face before what Zeph said suddenly catches up with her and she freezes in place with wide eyes.

Zeph looks at her worriedly as she continues standing there like a statue, not even the sound of breathing being heard from her.

He waved a hoof in front of her face in an attempt to get some kind of a response out of her. "Pinkie, you okay? Equestria to Pinkie Pie?"

Pinkie takes in a deep breath before shooting up several hooves into the air. "WHAT?!" she shouts before landing back down and starts nervously pacing. "How in Equestria could I not know it was Breezy's birthday? Oh, I'm a terrible friend. We just have have HAVE to throw him a party. I mean, he's done SO much for all of us. Don't you agree?" she says with incredible speed before getting right in Zephyr's face with bulging eyes.

Zephyr stands there for a moment in silence, barely comprehending what she had just said. "Um... yes?" he responds with a weak smile.

"Good. You wait right here while I go fetch all of the others. We're gonna need to work fast if we're gonna pull this off for Breezy."

Without another word from either of them, Pinkie zooms off in a pink blur, almost matching Zephyr's flying speed.

Remind me never to offer her caffeine. Ever.

Ten minutes later.

Zephyr sits under a shady tree as he patiently waits for Pinkie's return. He looks up at the sun to try to judge how long it's been.

Before another moment could pass, he looks ahead to see a pink figure frantically hopping backwards in front of a large, colorful mass of ponies.

"Come on, you guys! We gotta move! Time's a wastin'!" Pinkie shouts at the group hurriedly. They continue to follow her, still not yet aware of why they are doing so. But they know it's Pinkie, so yeah, best to not question it.

Zephyr gets up as he goes to join the group. He smirks as he's impressed by their timing. "Wow. I'll admit, that was pretty fast."

"No time for that, Zephy! We gottta go!" she shouts at him.

"Go where, Pinkie?" Rhino asks on behalf of the group. "You haven't told us anything."

She quickly turns around to face them before giving the reveal. "It's Blue Breeze's birthday!"

"What?" everypony in the group besides Drax all says at once.

"Yeah, I already knew that." he says. "I was on my way to see him before you pulled me over here."

"Well, that jerk never told me about it!" Rainbow Dash says angrily. "Me! His own marefriend! When I find him I'll-"

"There's no time for that, Dashie! We gotta get a party set up before it's too late!" Pinkie says, cutting her off.

"Party?" the others question.

"Well, duh. What else do you do on someone's birthday? Besides, Breezy deserves this. Don't you guys think so?"

The others begin to think it over for a minute, remembering all the time we had spent together up to this point. They each look at each other and give agreeing smiles.

Zeph puts a hoof around Pinkie's shoulder in reassurance. "You got it, Pinkie. You're the party expert, so what's the plan?"

The corners of her mouth shoot right up to her ears in excitement before she motions for the group to come closer like a huddle. An extremely big huddle.

"Okay, so we don't have a lot of time. We're gonna need to set up at Sugarcube Corner, but we have to keep Blue away long enough so it can be a surprise. Ditzy, Graze, Sunny, and I will work on treats. Fern can take the drinks. We'll need at least four of us to keep Blue occupied. The rest can work on decorations. Got it?"

"Wow, Pinkie, I'm impressed." Rhino whispers. "You sure are organized when it comes to party planning."

"Partying is my talent. No point in having a talent if you won't use it." she says before looking over the group. "So, who's gonna be our distraction for Blue?"

"I'll go." Zephyr offers, raising a hoof. "Blue's my best friend and I've known him the longest."

"I'll go too." Drax says. "I've known him just as long as Zeph. Only right I go with him."

"Anypony else?" Pinkie asks, raising an eyebrow.

"I'll go." Orion says. "Decorating and baking aren't really my thing."

"That's three. One more."

"I say Dark should go." Vine says, looking at the black and red pegasus with a vexed look.

"What? Why?" he asks in a characteristically angry tone.

"Because I don't trust you with something like this."

Everypony else exchanges agreeing mutters as Dark grows increasingly angry before letting out a loud groan. "Ugh, fine. I don't like that stuff anyway. Besides, this could be fun." he finishes with a mischievous grin. "Also, I suggest Ice not be allowed near any ice cream."

The blue earth pony facehoofs before giving him an annoyed glance. "You guys are never gonna let that go, are you? It was just one time."

"Okay, we've got everything in place." Pinkie says, switching back on topic. "Anypony know where Blue is so we can keep him busy?"

"Yeah, I saw him at the market getting some groceries earlier." Dash says.

"Perfect." the pink mare says before looking at the four volunteers. "You guys go get him and keep him off us. I'll come get you when it's time."

"Got it." they all say, giving some salutes.

With the plan now in place and the group in motion, they immediately separate and go to their assigned duties to throw my first Ponyville birthday party.

Over in the town market, I'm walking around with a basket as I grab groceries for myself and Lyall. Not exactly easy to pick out food for a wolf in a vegetarian market.

I go over to a nearby apple stand and grab one and inspect it. I take a whiff and cringe a bit at the smell. 'They call this produce?' I think to myself.

As I go to put it back, I look to see what looks to be a red eyeball. Suddenly, Zephyr, Dark, Drax, and Orion burst out from the pile of fruit, knocking out most of it onto the ground.

"Surprise! Happy birthday, Blue!" they all shout enthusiastically.

I smile at all of them widely. "Aw, thanks, you guys. Cool of you to remember."

They give me confused looks, as if something is wrong. "Um, aren't you, like, surprised that we all jumped out of these apples?" Zeph asks.

I wave a hoof at them nonchalantly. "Peh, you kidding me? With all the times Pinkie's popped out of nowhere I've gotten used to it."

"Hey, my apple stand!" an angry fruit vendor shouts from behind us. We all quickly get out of there before we get stuck with the bill or cleaning up the mess.

As we get far enough away to know the vendor gave up, we stop and I look at the guys. "So, where are the others? Why's it just you four?"

They are suddenly stricken silent as they remembered that forgot to think up an excuse for the others.

Zeph scratches the back of his head as he tries to think up a reason. "Well, uh..."

"They were busy." Dark says nonchalantly, giving the most vague and cop-out excuse ever.

I raise an eyebrow at him. "Busy? Is that it? Just busy?"

"Yep. We can't all stop what we're doing just because of a birthday, you know."

I put a hoof to my chin and look up as I think it over. While still suspicious, I shrug it off and decide to go with it. "Okay, so, what do you guys wanna do first then?"

"Oh, I know something." Drax says as he suddenly gets behind me and gets me by my forehooves, making me stand up straight. "Remember this from when we were kids, Blue"

I struggle against him, but it's no use with our huge strength difference. "What are you-" I stop as my eyes widen in realization. "Oh no."

"Yep, a birthday beating." he says excitedly.

Dark's expression immediately lightens up as he looks at us. "Oh yeah, I've always wanted to try one of these." he walks over to use and gets on his back legs as he cracks his hoof joints. He gives me an eager smile. "So, Blue, how old are you now so we can do this right?"

"T-Twenty one." I say nervously. I always hated this as a kid.

"Oh, this'll be fun then." he says as he winds up a hoof.

"No electric shocks, Dark." Drax says sternly. "Don't wanna kill him."

He rolls his eyes before turning off his hooves. "Oh, fine."

The throws the first punch straight at my chest, knocking the breath out of me. "Gah!"

"Oh, come on, Blue. I know you're tougher than that. It was just one punch. We still have twenty to go."

Zeph and Orion sit on the sidelines as Dark continues to wail on me, each of them flinching on each hit.

"Should we do something to *flinch* stop this?" Orion asks Zephyr, unsure of what to do.

"You can try to stop Dark *flinch* if you want."

Orion looks at Dark, noticing the pure joy and craziness in his eye. He cringes a bit at the thought of getting in the way of that thing. "Um, I think I'm good."

"Don't worry about it, dude. Blue can *flinch* handle it. We did this all the *flinch* time. Besides, we need to stall for as long as possible."

I let out a loud shriek of pain as Dark punches me a little too far down and I nearly slump over if it wasn't for Drax holding me up.

Zeph and Orion both flinch and shut their eyes at my pain before slowly opening them. "Ooh, that'll leave a mark. I hope the others don't take too long."

Over at Sugarcube Corner.

The others are hurriedly preparing everything for the big party. Setting up streamers, making food, blowing up balloons, all that good stuff.

Rhino blows up a balloon and ties it up with his magic as he pants a bit in exasperation. "Geez, who knew blowing up balloons would be so exhausting?" he asks himself. He looks back at Ice who is standing on a ladder as he hangs up streamers. "Hey, Ice. Mind giving me a hoof with these?"

"Sure, I'm just about done here." he says as he throws up the last colorful strip of paper and hops down.

He grabs a deflated balloon with a hoof and puts the end piece in his mouth as he begins to blow on it(don't say it). As the balloon expands with his breath, it begins to form ice on the outside and become hard.

Ice looks at his work in confusion. "Woah, didn't know I could do that." he takes a hoof and taps it. Cracks start to form from the pressure on such a thin layer of ice before it crumbles to pieces onto the wooden floor. He looks down the pile of ice chips with disappointment. "Yeah, this definitely isn't gonna work."

"You know, Ice, I bet with your powers you'd make quite the ice sculptor." Rhino says encouragingly.

"You really think so?" he asks.

"Definitely. In fact, I bet you could make quite the centerpiece for the snack table."

Ice scratch the top of his head for a moment in contemplation before deciding to try it out. "You bet I can. I'm gonna go head out the back and get started on it right away."

"But there isn't a back door."

"No, but there is a back window." he says before heading through the kitchen, not wasting another moment.

Rhino shakes his head as he continues back on the balloons. He exhales loudly as he finished tying up another one, losing more breath with every one. "Geez, I'm gonna pass out before I'm done with these."

"Um, you do know there are some helium tanks over in the corner over there, right?" Vine says from above as her and Dash are busy with tying up the banner.

"Helium?" Atom asks enthusiastically. "Oh, I've always wanted to try this."

He grabs a balloon and goes over to a tank, placing the end of the balloon on the nozzle and quickly filling it with air. He then takes the end of the filled balloon to his mouth and lets go as he breaths in the helium.

"Testing. Testing." he says in an obnoxiously high-pitched voice. He begins laughing at himself. "Dude, that is awesome. Rhino, you gotta try this."

"Uh, I think I'll pass I like my deep voice the way it is, thank you." he says proudly.

"Aw, come on. Just try it."

"Atom, I refuse to-" he's suddenly cut off as Atom sticks on balloon on his lips and forces the air into his mouth.

Rhino coughs a bit from the sudden air in his throat. "Dude, that was seriously uncalled fo-" he clasps a hoof over his lips as he hears his new voice. He takes his hoof off as he tries again. "Is that my voice?"

Atom starts laughing at him. "It sure is."

"Would you two quit fooling around and get back to work?" Vine says annoyedly.

"Yes, ma'am." they say together in their high voices before continuing.

Back out in Ponyville... Ugh, I can't even believe this one. The guys thought it'd be fun to blindfold me and play pin the tail on the pony in the middle of town.

Zeph secures the blindfold from behind me and pats me on the back. "So, how do you feel?" he asks.

"Like an idiot." I reply. "Aren't we a little old for this?"

"Pinkie's always having it at parties." Orion comments. "Everypony in town has played it at her parties at least once. Just go ahead and try it."

I give an audible sigh. "Alright, I'll try it."

"Good to hear. I'll just spin you around three times and then you can give it a go." Zephyr says as he puts his hooves on my shoulders and begins spinning me around. "One. Two. Three. Go!"

I wobble around a little from dizziness as I try to keep myself from toppling over. I end up falling snout first into a pole on the street.

I grab my face in pain. "Ow!" I shout in a muffled voice. "Dang it, Zeph!"

"That's your fault, not mine." he says back. "Just keep going, Blue. You'll get it."

I sigh again as I continue stumbling around for the pony poster on the wall that was supposed to be in front of me. I keep walking until I feel my hoof stop on a twig and I fall in a puddle.

"Get up, Blue! You're almost there!" Orion shouts from the side.

"Yeah, just get up and go directly left!" Dark advises.

I decide to try one last time as I pick myself up and go left as instructed. I reach a large, rough mass infront of me and stick the pin in.

"Did I get it? Did I pin the pony?" I ask, still blindfolded.

Dark holds a few giggles in as he tries to talk. "I'll say you did." he says before he bursts out laughing while the others look upon with worried expressions.

I take off the blindfold to see a really pissed and big stallion in front of me. I look to see my pin stuck in his flank. I give a nervous laugh as he growls angrily at me before reeling his legs back and bucking me in the face.

Dark continues to hold his gut in laughter while the others come to check on me. "Yo, Blue. You alright?" Zephyr asks.

I pick my head up from off the ground in a weak attempt to get up. I fall back down a facehoof in grief. "Why me?"

Back over at Sugarcube Corner, Twilight decides to step into the kitchen to see how preparations are going on the food.
"So, how are the baked goods coming along, guys?" she asks them.

The buzzer suddenly goes off and Graze smiles at it. "Sounds like the muffins are just about down."

"Allow me." Twilight says as she summons magic into her horn and levitates the over door open to magically remove the steamy muffins from inside. She goes over and takes a big sniff. "Mmm, these smell great, Graze."

"Well, I can't take all the credit." he says modestly. "I couldn't have done it without-DITZY!" he shouts, now noticing his marefriend scarfing down the newly finished muffins.

She swallows the last bite and sheepishly. "Um, I was, um.... taste testing?" she says nervously, giving an innocent smile.

Twilight. "Great."

"Don't worry, Twi." Sunny says gleefully. "We still have the cup... cakes." she stops as she sees Pinkie eat the last one of the tasty confections. "Pinkie, why?! We needed those!"

"I thought that was just the test batch." she says, clueless. The others all simultaneously facehoof in displeasure.

While that mess is going on, the guys decide to make up the other stuff to me by taking me to an ice cream shop. The bell at the top of the door rings as we step inside.

We all take a seat at some benches on the side of the room and a waitress comes by. "Welcome to the Pegasice Cream Parlour." she greets. "What can I get you boys?"

Dark puts a hoof around my shoulders and looks at her. "We'd like the special for the birthday boy here."

"Oh, right away." she says with intrigue.

After a few moments of waiting, she comes back wheeling in a cart with a humongous vanilla sundae covered in chocolate syrup, caramel, chocolate shavings, and cherries.

She stops just short of our table and puts a spoon in front of me. "One special for the birthday boy. Happy birthday." she says before going back to work with other customers.

I look up at the gargantuan glob of gluttonous mess put in front of me. "What in the holy name of Celestia is this thing?"

"This, my blue buddy, is the Birthday Bomb." Dark explains. "It's the biggest thing on the menu and is only given on birthdays. If you can finish it, it's totally free." he picks up my spoon and puts it in my hoof. "Eat up."

"Are you kidding? I'm not eating this thing." I say in protest.

Dark sneers at me before getting an idea in his head. "Blue! Blue! Blue! Blue!" he begins chanting slowly while banging his hooves on the table top.

The others soon join in as all four of them begin chanting faster and faster and pound on the table.

I stick my hooves out. "No way, guys! I'm not doing it, especially not after Ice's prank all that time ago."

"Just do it, you whimp." Dark mocks. "We already ordered it, so if you don't eat it, it's twenty bits."

"I don't care, I'll just pay the bill. I'm not gonna force myself to eat all of this."

"Blue, we've seen you gorge on over fifty chimicherrychongas before." Drax points out.

"That's different. Chimicherrychongas are bucking delicious."

Dark groans loudly as he sets his hooves on the table. He smirks to himself, though, as he gets one last idea. "You're right Blue. You could never eat all this bucking ice cream anyway."

I feel my ear twitch at the sound of his words. "What was that, Lightning?" I say in a deadpanned tone.

"I said-"

I get put and poke his chest with a hoof. "Buck you I can't eat all this ice cream!" I shout before I dig face first into the massive sundae.

The others quickly begin cheering me on to go for it as Dark smirks in victory. 'Got him.' he smugly thinks.

Over back at Sugarcube Corner, Pinkie goes around the entire place to do one final inspection to check for any loose ends before calling us over.

"Decorations?" she says, looking around.

"Check." Twilight says for herself and the others.

"Food?"

"Check." Graze and Sunny say, keeping Ditzy away from the muffins.

"Hmm, that seems to be about it." Pinkie says before going to the front door. "You all get in your positions. I'll be back here lickety-split."

She steps outside and shuts the door behind her as she heads down to the ice cream shop like they had planned on earlier.

She races down the streets in no time, getting there in record speed for an earth pony.

She loooks inside to see me pounding down ounce after ounce of ice cream down my gullet. Doing against normal Pinkie Pie rules, she quietly sneaks in as to not get my attention.

"Psst." she says. "Pssst."

Zephyr hears the noise and looks at the door to see her waving. He points at her and the others notice her too as I continue stuffing my face.

Zeph gently flies over to her as to not draw my attention. "What is it, Pinkie?"

"It's time to start. Get Blue and come on down to the Corner." she whispers.

"Right. Just give us a minute. He's nearly done with the ice cream."

"Okay. See you there, Zephy." she says before ninja-ing out of there without another sound.

Zeph comes back and winks at the others. Begins to pound on the table once more and the guys follow his lead. "Go, Blue, go! Go, Blue, go! Go, Blue, go!"

I start taking in more and more ice cream with every bite, quickly shortening the huge stack of vanilla goodness. After another minute and a half or guzzling down the sweet cream, I lay back and take in a huge breath of air with my belly sticking out.

The guys cheer for me all out once as I just groan. "I don't think I should've done that." I say in pain. I seriously haven't felt this sick since I binged on all those chimicherrychongas a while back.

"Well, you're gonna need to get over it, 'cause we need to be heading down to Sugarcube Corner." Dark says, not even caring.

"I don't want any more sweets." I say weakly.

"Not for that, something else."

"I don't think I can move either."

Drax sighs as he grabs me over his shoulder and hoists me onto his back. "I'll carry you on the way back then."

"Great, now let's go." Dark says excitedly as he's the first to exit the establishment.

We start walking the streets of Ponyville, ponies giving concern looks as they see me on Drax's back. But none of them really say or do anything, so carry along our way as well.

We reach just outside Sugarcube Corner and stop. "Okay, Blue. You're gonna need to do this part yourself."

"What for?" I weakly voice in anger.

"Just do it. I promise it'll be worth it."

"Yeah, I bet." I say as I begin trying to turn myself over and roll off. I roll over enough to fall down and land on my hooves, feeling a big jerk in my gut from the movement.

I grab the doorknob and turn it slowly to open it up and see a dark room. Suddenly, the room is lit up to reveal tons of balloons, streamers, a snack table filled with sweets and a big ice sculpture of a tornado.

Just then, all of my other friends pop out. "SURPRISE!" they all scream. "Happy birthday, Blue Breeze!"

My groggy expression turns into a bright one as I get a big smile on my face from seeing all my friends put in so much effort just to surprise me.

Dash comes up to me and kisses me on the cheek. "Happy birthday, Blue." she says. Then she raises a hoof and punches me hard in a shoulder.

I rub it in pain. "Ow! What'd you do that for?"

"For you not telling me it was your birthday, you big jerk!" she shouts. "I'm your marefriend for pony's sake!"

"Aw, you two make such a sweet couple." Pinkie says with a giggle. "But that's not the only sweet thing we've got for you, Breezy. Bring it out, Drax!"

"Coming through." he says from the kitchen as he pushes in a cart with a huge structure made out of chimicherrychongas on it. There's gotta be at least a hundred of them on there, and it's got lot of candles with black fire on them.

My eyes widen in excitement and I lick my lips as I begin to drool over it. "It's magnificent." I whisper in awe.

"But Blue, I thought you didn't want any more sweets." Zephyr said, perplexed.

"I can't really explain it, Zeph, but I'm suddenly feeling a bit empty inside." I say anxiously as I take further steps towards this new cuisine achievement.

"Don't forget to blow out the candles and makes a wish." Pinkie says, reminding me.

I spring up in the air and use my wings to give a blast of air that not only blows out all the candles, but knocks them off as well.

I go higher as I divebomb the tower and take it all in in one huge bite, making my form almost a ball from how much I had taken in.

Me and all the gang begin to laugh like crazy from the antics. I'm so lucky to have such great friends.

Author's Note: Well, that was a doozy, wasn't it? Feels good to finally come back to this story after so long. But, how do you all think this chapter feels in comparison to my previous ones? I'm talking tone wise, not length wise. Like, do you think it still feels like the old stuff. Personally, I think it does, only much more descriptive. But as the fans, your opinion is what matters most. Let me know what you think..