• Published 27th Mar 2016
  • 361 Views, 2 Comments

Conquest of the Mark of the Dragon - Fateful Pony



Applejack expresses concern to her friends about Derpibra lacking a cutie mark at his age, but things take a different turn.

  • ...
 2
 361

Legend Chasing

Derpibra kicked up dust as he galloped towards the school, the time being nine-thirty. As he approached the premises, the commotion the school children were amassing became more audible. It brought a smile to his face, because while he does have a history of not fancying small children for their immature tendencies, he does enjoy their joyful emotions. “This has to be the place right?” He muttered to himself.

As he approached the school, he noticed how the entirety of the students were playing on the yard and slides. The thought crossed his mind, rather regretfully: “I can’t believe I’m gonna ask some eight year olds for help.” But he just shook the thought, remembering what his objective was. As soon as he stepped into the yard, all of the foals looked at him- some smiled, others confused at why a stallion his age would be there. As he made his way through, he spotted three phillies sitting at a lunch table, but he thought nothing of it. Instead, he began asking questions around the premises, until a rather mature mare approached him.

She poked him on his shoulder. “Hello. Are you a volunteer?”

He jolted in surprise then whirled around. “Huh? No. I’m looking for Applebloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo.”

“Are you their guardian?” She questioned.

“Nuh uh. My name’s Derpibra, and I was sent by Twilight Sparkle, the princess, if that helps.”

The mare’s eyes widened. “My name is Cheerilee. Are you a Messenger of the Princess?”

(Why is she asking so many questions?) The question crossed his mind before he answered; “Not exactly, but I was sent here by her to discover my cutie mark, and I heard a group of your students could help out?” He opened his map and presented to her a signature at towards its bottom. “Here’s the signature of the Princess, if that clears things up?” (This must’ve been Twilight’s personal map. Why exactly is it signed?)

“Oh, perfect. I was just going to ask if you had proof. It’s… rather unusual to have visitors like you during the day.” She looked at him rather timidly, hoping she didn’t say anything he would misinterpret.

“Trust me, I know.” He chuckled. “I was warned I might get weird looks when I would first come here. Even with grown ponies I still look… different. It’s alright.”

Cheerilee looked relieved. “That’s good to hear. Well, it does strike me as odd that you don’t have your mark yet, and you’re…?”

“Eighteen.” He responded blankly, already knowing where this discussion was going.

“That’s unusual…” She gave him a faintly queer expression. “Well, it’s recess for them. They won’t be back in the classroom for another half hour. So, if you have any questions, I would be more than happy to assist you.” She smiled warmly.

“Thanks Miss.” Was his final statement before she made her way back into the schoolhouse.

“Oh, and... “ She stopped to turn around. “The group you’re looking for is sitting at the lunch table over there.”

(Something told me it was them.) “Oh, thanks.” He bowed his head before approaching the three phillies.




“Hey, AB?” Scootaloo nudged her yellow friend. “Who’s that?”

“I don’t know Scootaloo. Ain’t he a bit old for this school?”

Sweetie Belle quirked a brow. “Maybe he’s helping Cheerilee!”

“Hey, you three.” Derpibra greeted.

“Hiya.” Scootaloo replied. “Are you a zebra?”

He shook his head, smiling. “Not completely. I’m also a pegasus, as you can see. The stripes came from my Dad’s side.”

“That’s neat!” Sweetie Belle chirped. “Hey, why are you here? Are you Cheerilee’s helper?”

“Nope. The princess, Twilight Sparkle, sent me here to look for you three.”

Applebloom offered him a spot at the table, and he accepted happily.

“Really? Why?” Applebloom questioned.

“Look at my flank.”

All three were surprised to see their stallion acquaintance without any sort of mark.

“Aren’t you a bit old for this?” Scootaloo inquired.

“Does everyone have to ask that?” Feeling rather annoyed at her question, he adopted a small frown on his face.

Scootaloo, sensing he was tensing up fro that, decided to move the discussion along. “Erm, well… the princess sent you here so we can help you get your mark?”

“Yeah. Her and her friends tried what they could, but nothing real good came outta it.” He dropped his frowned expression and began to look rather hopeless. “Honestly, I’m not entirely sure if even you three can help me.”

Applebloom pat him on his back. “We got our marks because we help others’ get their marks too! We can help ya, but not here. You remember my big sis right?”

“Couldn’t forget.” He replied with joy.

“Well, she works on a farm off in that direction, and we got a treehouse there.” She began to obtain a confident tone. “And that’s where we work too. Meet us there after school, then we can talk.”

“Sounds good.” He withdrew his map from his bag and presented it to her. “Can you mark it on my map? I’m still kinda new in town.”

“No problem.” She summoned a pencil and scribbled in the location.

“What time does school end?” He deposited his paper into the purple bag.

“We start from eighth and get out at two. Don’t be late!”

“Thanks you three.” He got up from the table. “And, by the way you two,” Referring to Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle he was. “Name’s Derpibra.”

“Cool name.” Replied Scootaloo. “Alright, we got business to handle. Catcha later.”

“Alright.” He made his way off of the premises and started down the road from it. Seeing as he was still fresh in town, he had not the slightest idea of how to keep himself occupied until two. (It’s only four hours. What's the worst that can happen?) He thought as he traveled to Twilight’s castle to deliver the good news.


The time was only a marginally later ten o'clock as he stumbled upon Twilight’s doors. Inviting himself in rather comfortably, he spotted the purple mare rummaging through a chest located in a closet to the farthest right side of the room.

“Who’s there?” She called. “Pinkie? You’re the only one who would make that much noise coming in!”

Derpibra swore he heard a blade fall in a distant room. “Nah, just me Twi!” He shouted back.

“Oh, hey Derpi!”

He advanced down the hallway and leaned to his left around a corner to spot a violet flank dancing around in the closet. “Uh… what’cha doing there?”

She poked her head out from the towering doors. “Sorry, just… looking for my journal. Where is it…?” She cleared her throat and continued her expedition through storage containers. “You’re back kinda early. Everything went okay right?”

He nodded with a smile. “Yup. Got a date at two. I’m s’pose to met the phillies at a tree house that happens to be their base of operations.”

She returned his expression. “That’s good to hear. I hope you will get your mark.” She retracted a dusty journal from a cabinet. “But don’t think I’m just going to stop searching for your mark either. Just incase something doesn’t go according to plan,” She flipped her book ajar to confirm it was her correct finding. “You will need a plan B, C, however far it needs to go.”

He crossed his hooves. “And I guess you’re a guru of all things organizational skills?”

“That’s what everypony says.” She smirked. “Some may call me a little freaky when it comes to that. So, what are you going to do until two?”

He shrugged. “I can always just sit around and wait for the clock to work itself.”

“Oh no, don’t do that.” She responded, humored. “That’s going to bore you to death. Aren’t you the easily bored type?”

“Well, I was just joking when I said that. Makes my brain cells die of old age.” He chuckled at his own musing. “I’m guessing you have something for me to not get bored with doing, all mighty princess?” jested he.

“Depends if you find this boring.” She withdrew yet another book from a nearby shelf. This one looked to be a novel; rose red leather coverings and light purple embroiderment. It’s face featured a title The Newcomer’s Guide to Equestrian Legend: Vol. 1.

“Twi, I told you I’m not a bookworm.” He cackled at her surprised expression.

“I know, I know. But I think you’ll like this one.” She spread open the cover, revealing the vellums stained with English text. “This book tells of legends rumored to be true. Who knows? Maybe we can investigate these legends with our friends!”

“I guess I can do with some adventure.” He cracked his hooves. “What’s first?”

“Your choice.”

“Alright…” He searched through the A section to spot a title: ‘Audry, the Wandering Dragon’. “A dragon eh? Let’s see…” He muttered as he began to read the document.

With cautious, precise hoof writing, the document beared these words:

“Audry, the Wandering Dragon; a great beast among great beasts; a mild mannered traveller by trade since the untimely demise of her master by natural causes; Audry, seeking knowledge and adventure, wanders the plains, forests; varying environments, enduring any dynamic change, for the simple satisfaction of carrying out her master’s legacy. But what does she seek?”

Derpibra scratched his chin. “So she adventures around Equestria huh? Sounds like me!”

“Definitely.” Concurred Twilight. She began to check her books alphabetically to eventually find yet another journal titled: ‘Notes on Audry.’
“The book is simply an implication of her existence. I know a bit more than what the book’s letting on.” She placed the velvet faced journal on the table, flipping it open to reveal its scripture. “Here is what I gathered.”

“Alright. What’cha got Twi?” He took his place adjacent to her.

“Allow me to summarize.” Her eyes darted over the scripted vellums before replying: “There are unconfirmed eyewitness reports of her wandering around on the outskirts of Ponyville. Some say she would disappear at first glance; others say they’ve seen her for a few seconds.”
She shook her head and continued on. “It’s odd how the reports contradict each other.”

“Do you have any idea why?” Asked Twilight’s striped inquisitor.

“They say only the brave hearted burdened with fate unbeknownst to them will see her in her truest form- as much as they please.” Replied Twilight.

“Will I be any different?”

“Honestly, I can't say.” She gave him a reassuring smile. “But I’m willing to put bits on it. You will be.”

He returned her expression. “Thanks Twilight. But… where do we start? We only have ‘til two.”

“This should be easy to do. Shouldn't take us long- depends on how fast we find her.” She summoned a map from a chest and laid it flat on the face of the table. The map itself seemed dated, but serviceable- featuring a detailed illustration of Ponyville and the perimeter around it. There were signs of exquisite notations, showing Twilight has put much time into her research.

“This thing’s looking kinda dressed up.” Derpibra observed.

“Yes, indeed.” She tapped her tongue and turned some three pages, placed her hoof on a fact written in red ink, and began to elaborate. “Audry, the Wandering Dragon, is unlike any of her scaley peers. She’s been noted to at least be non-hostile, and is believed to be generous by Dragon extremists. But because no pony ever managed to talk to her directly, that fact remains uncertain.”

“I still don’t get how I’m s’posed to be able to see her if that’s the case. Got any notes on that?”

“Let me check…” She turned back a page and rummaged through the text with her amethyst eyes before replying, clearing her throat: “The only real way to see the dragon is if your fate is intertwined with hers, and the only way for this to happen is if she chooses you to be, and it could be for any reason.”

“Is that all?”

“Just about.” Twilight shut the journal and stuffed into a saddlebag that she then tossed over her back. “It’s all we need to know for now. Who knows? Maybe you’ll get a cutiemark in Adventuring or Dragon Searching?”

“Dragon Searching? Sounds kinda cool. I might have to cancel my plans later if this works out.” He wrapped the strap of his purple messenger bag over his shoulder, standing proud. “Where do we start first?”

“Eastern side of Ponyville, outskirts on the dirt roads.”

“Then let’s try it.”



“It’s a little warm out here.” Derpibra almost whined.

“It is honestly-” Twilight was interrupted by the apparent sound of a roaring engine. “What’s that?”

“Dunno.” He replied blankly.

As the party turned about, they spotted a tan SUV falling into a drift, stopping right before it would hit them. The SUV was quite dusty, with a rusted battering ram strapped to the front bumper, fenced windows, and tires built for less than smooth terrain. As moments passed, the sunroof opened unlike that of a tank hatch, and a dark brown mare emerged from the makeshift vehicle. Derpibra was graced by her tough appearance: a bullet proof helmet hiding her blonde mane, a tactical vest, rough brown boots, and aggressive eyes. She appeared to have a type of rifle strapped to her back, a rather antique-like pistol, and a machete confined to her belt.

“Wassup?” The mare called to them.

“Hey.” Derpibra replied, only slightly intimidated by her amount of equipment on hoof. “Who’re you?”

“Name’s Optix.” She leaped from her vehicle and spat in her hoof, offering a shake.

“I’m Derpibra, and this is Twilight, my best friend.” He hesitated to return her gesture.

“Nice to meet ya. C’mon, don’t be shy. I brush.” She jested.

He finally shook her hoof, and promptly wiped it clean with his coat.

“So what brings you two ponies out here huh?”

“We’re just looking for a dragon. What about you?” Twilight responded.

“Just taking my old four by four for a drive.” She patted the hood of her beloved transportation with force. “He’s a beauty. I call it the Dust Kicker. Handles terrain handsomely.” She turned back to the two. “Why are you two searching for a dragon anyways?”

“Just need to kill some time until two.” Derpibra answered. “I need to get my cutie mark, so this could be a way for me to get it.”

“You don’t have your mark yet? What the heck!” She laughed to herself.

Derpibra sulked at her sense of humor, and she quickly realized he didn’t find that to be a joke.
“Oh, don’t be so uptight chum. Tell you what, how about I help you find that dragon?”

“Yeah, if you want to. Just don’t shoot it. We aren’t dragon hunters.”

“Fine by me. Hop in the SUV.”

As Derpibra stepped into the car, he began to draw his opinions. (Optix? She’s kinda like Rainbow Dash… except she’s even more rough spoken. Heh, I’ll get used to it.)

As Optix started the engine, she looked into the rear seats. “You two comfy back there?”

“Yup.” They both replied.

“Good, cause things are gonna get rough.” She said almost cheerfully. “But of course, I love a good ride.” She put emphasis on ‘Good’.

“That’s dirty.” Twilight responded, appalled. Derpibra was just merely giggling at her.

“I’m just joking. Heh.” The SUV began to pull off. After her ‘Dirty’ joke, there was a period of silence.

And Derpibra decided to break it, as it was driving him nigh insane. “So, who are you?”

“I already told you my name silly.” Her eyes now focused adamantly on the dirt paths.

“Besides your name.” He was only partially humored.

“I’m a military mare who happens to be pretty handy with random materials and things lying about. I live in the junkyard just outside of town if that makes any sense.”

His eyebrow curled. “Why live there?”

“You know how many ‘useless’ things ponies in this town throw away? I turn ‘em into useful things, kinda like this car we’re sittin’ in.”

The two began to get slightly uncomfortable in their seats, now wondering what they may be sitting in.

“I see you two squirming back there. Don’t worry, I wash the stuff, geez.” She rolled her eyes. “Everypony thinks I’m dirty. Can’t say they’re too far from wrong when it comes to my belongings eh? But I at least wash my own ass.”

“At least.” Derpibra repeated.
“Along with everything else too.” She finished. “I don’t smell weird do I now?” She sniffed under her hoof. “Not too shabby. Wanna check for yourselves?”

They shook their heads hastily.

“Meh, suit yourselves.” Placing both hooves on the wheel, she refocused onto the road.





The road trip dragged on for hours. Twilight was directing her new, slightly vulgar friend around town, and Derpibra was bored into a simulated coma.

Optix looked across her dashboard and saw that the clock displayed one o'clock, much to her passengers’ dismay. “Deadline’s approaching.”

“Well, this stinks.”

“What, me or the car?” She jested again.

A giggle escaped him. “No… I have a meeting at two, just like I said earlier.”

“Ah. Well, we’re running on reserve fuel now, so you might be a lil’ bit late chum.” At the moment of her response, she noticed a violet dragon soaring above. “Oh shit! Hey, is that your target?”

“Not sure.” Twilight responded. “Then again, the notes weren't specific on how she looked. All I can say is this: Dragon’s aren't usually spotted close to towns, so maybe-”

“Hold your belts!” Optix shouted.

The spiny dragon generated a minor earthquake as it debarked upon the ground directly in front of the parties’ vehicle, forcing the driving mare to bring the ride to an abrupt halt.

“That’s one way to kill time.” Derpibra remarked.

“No kidding.” Optix concurred.

The breath of the great beast laid adamant on the party; it’s reptile eyes locking onto them with seemingly unbreakable concentration. It left it’s snout ajar as it took in air.

Twilight and Derpibra recoiled cowardly,thinking the beast would launch an attack, while Optix seemed less shaken by the unexpected encounter.

Instead of assailing them with a fiery attack however, the beast spoke with a mature voice of a mare. “So, I’ve found you.” She sounded apathetically.

Optix pressed a button on her dashboard to enable an intercom system atop her vehicle. Into the microphone she spoke: “Found us huh? Who are ya?”

“Audry, the Wandering Dragon…”

“Well, that was easy.” Derpibra chuckled.

“So, you’re the Wandering Dragon.” Twilight observed. “I figured we’d be looking for you longer than this honestly.”

“You, young alicorn, have not the slightest idea of how long I’ve been seeking a worthy pony- or ponies, to assist me.”

“Oh really?” Optix scoffed. “Why should we-”

“This is our target Optix.” Twilight sounded rather agitated from her hasty inquiry. “And besides, we shouldn’t anger the dragon. Who’s to say she wouldn’t blast us away?”

“I wouldn’t.” Audry replied. “It’s fine if you don’t trust me, but I’d never hurt another pony…” Disappointment was present in her tone. “Perhaps you aren’t destined afterall…”

Derpibra grabbed the door handle and left it ajar for his exit.

Optix shot a look at him. “Derpi? What are you-”

“I’m gonna make a point.” He retorted.

Twilight seemed rather relaxed in comparison to her military friend. (He’s not dumb Optix, if that’s what you’re thinking. He’s onto something, I know it! … It doesn’t make him sound any less crazy though...)

Shutting the door behind him, he approached the beastly thing rather bravely. In his mind, he was frightened out of his wits by her mere size, forced to muster enormous amounts of courage for each step he took. The wind from the beast’s breath became more forceful as he drew closer, but he pressed on. As he finally reached the snout, he heard her massive breaths unlike that of whirlwinds. He placed his hoof on her scaled jaw gently and smiled. “I don’t know much on dragons, but if the rest of your kind is bad like you’re implying, I’m sure you’re different from the rest. You seem sincere in what you’re saying Audry, and you seem really nice. I trust you.”
He shot a look back at the SUV. “What about you two?”

Twilight emerged from the vehicle. “Yes, I am. Optix?”

She stayed silent before withdrawing the keys from the ignition and stepped out. “Well, you two may either be idiots or really brave, but you two seem to mean what ya’ll say, so I guess I can’t be the oddball here eh?” She trotted over to them and smirked. “And besides, if you two get chomped, I gotta be there to avenge ya.” She humored herself, chuckling.

“I’m glad you three placed trust in me.” Audry responded with hints of glee. “So few ponies, if any, would so willingly place trust in a intimidatingly sized beast such as myself.”

“No problem big girl.” Optix nudged her claw. “Why were you searching for us anyways?”

“Well, not really just you three specifically, but… just ponies who are somehow destined to work with me. But I digress. The name of dragons are truly a pity.”

“How so?” Twilight inquired.

“Over the years, ponies have gotten accustomed to despising dragon-kind because of our selfishness.” Audry turned her back to them and sighed heavily. “Our greed and disdain for ponies- our hostility, has only added to the hatred we have for each other. I’m one of few dragons that bears any form of respect for ponies- one that seeks to restore the bond we once had.”

“What does that have to do with us though?” Optix questioned apically.

Audry shifted her sight to her left. “What it has to do with you is this: There have once been great warriors known as Dragon Riders. These knights of epic proportions facilitated a connection between dragon and pony.” She refocused her attention to her listeners. “Complete trust between the rider and steed, so to speak. Not to mention how highly respected they are in politics and courts. A pity that they exist so few and far in between…”

“What happened to them?” Derpibra took a seat upon the ground.

“A black force…” She shuddered at the mere half-mentioning. “...A black force of nearly impenetrable darkness, swept across all dragons, cursing them with greed and eventually began feeding from their developing hatred of ponies. The true identity of this advanced darkness is unbeknownst to anyone but itself.”

He scratched the back of his head. “Uh… why aren't you affected by it then? You’re really nice aren’t you?”

“It is because I refused.” She answered with impeccable simplicity.

Optix shook her head disapprovingly. “It… was that easy? Why doesn't every dragon do that then? Problem solved!”

“Not every dragon wants the same thing you see. I desire tranquility, peace. Others desire wealth and power. And at that point, they allow themselves to be taken by the darkness- consumed by its might.” She scarcely frowned at the thought. “...And such dragons that were consumed, are the ones that spread the blatant blackness that stirs in them.”

“So what do we do exactly?” Asked Derpibra.

“I fear there is no solving this problem while remaining civil. What you must do, gray one, is become a Dragon Rider. Restore the trust we once had, then we must fight back against the darkness.”

“This sounds dangerous… but I love making ponies- er, dragons, happy. Maybe I can try this out. Optix? Twilight?”

“Count me in chum.”

“This is what my job is as the Princess of Friendship.”

“I’m glad you two agree.” He responded with some animation. “When do we start Audry?”

“In some hours at the top of Ponyville Peak. Say, five o’ clock. I will answer any further questions you will have then.”

“Okay. Hopefully I got what it takes.” He stood upon all fours.

“You do. Your fate says so.” And with that, she lifted off, and soared into the distance, seemingly disappearing after half a minute.

What was this darkness? How was it able to influence the emotions of others? Just two of many questions Derpibra harbored for his new spiny friend. Meeting his contacts after their school day was over slowly began lessening in importance as he pondered the meaning of this conversation.



Just three and a half hours later, Derpibra made his way to Twilight’s library-castle hybrid home. Knocking on the door, she granted him access and offered him a seat. She seemed ready for the impending hiking trip, just as her friends were in another room.

“Did your meetup with the CMC work out well?” Questioned Twilight.

Derpibra kicked his hoof against the floor. “No. I tried many things… sports, treasure hunting, cooking, just to name a few. And I’m still blank!”

“Finding your cutie mark will take more than a few hours.” Said she as she slipped some bottles of water into her sack.

“Oh, then let’s try some years then!” He said sarcastically. “I’ve been searching my whole life, but still… nothing!”

“Maybe you’ll get it from becoming a Dragon Rider?” She feigned reassurance.

“Yeah right.” Sounding rather unconvinced, he decided to change the subject since this small talk was only angering him further. “What supplies do I need for this trip?”

“Guns n’ ammo chum.” A mare’s voice rang from a deep corner of the room, past one of the large throne-like chairs.

Twilight, startled, whirled around with great haste. “Optix!? How’d you get in here? Weren’t you getting supplies from your home in the junkyard?”

“Yeah. But me around, don’t leave a window open.” She said with a smug expression.

“Just… don’t scare me like that.”

“Oi, Derpi.” She called.

“Yeah Optix?”

She withdrew a rather antiqued rifle and held it out to him as she approached. “This is my old favorite. You’ll need it incase we run into any trouble on the mountain.”

He stared at it blankly before responding: “What kind of rifle is this?”

“One I built out of garbage of course. But it’s a replica of an M1 Garand with a clip magazine. Nice eh?” She smiled at the very appearance of her handywork.

“Sorry, but I don’t know how to shoot guns.”
“Optix, if you’re gonna give him a gun, give him something smaller.” Twilight said.

“... I don’t have any small arms. I prefer big guns.”

She sighed, annoyed by her new friend. “How do you…? ...Ok, here Derpibra.” She trotted over to a nearby closet, presumably the one she was rummaging through this morning, and discovered a purple broadsword and kite shield. “Guns aren’t too common in Equestria, so these might still be helpful.”

“What is this? The stone age?” Optix laughed beyond belief.

“What? Equestria isn’t interested in guns since we have magic, and also since we don’t focus on warfare. We still use swords!”

“I must be a goddess then. Shields can’t stop bullets, ha!”

Twilight repeated her sigh, this time somewhat heavier.

Derpibra took her gift and held his shield in his left and sword in his right. “I can use sheaths for these things too.”

“Right. Here. And take this bag too. It’s already stocked with many food supplies and plenty of water. At the time we are leaving, we will probably be late.”

He slid the blade into the sheath and stored his shield on his back, doing the same with his backpack. “So, where is the mountain anyway?”

“Not far thankfully. It’s where me and my friends first encountered a red, orange bellied dragon.”

“How’d that go?”

“Badly at first. But Fluttershy managed to defeat it.”

He recoiled in surprise. “F-Fluttershy…? How!?”

“She stared it down. She has a connection with animals, and she was able to defeat it without even touching it.”

“I gotta ask her about that. Optix, can your SUV hold all of us?”

“Nope. That Jeep Cherokee is too small. We’re gonna have to walk.”

“Ok then. Applejack? Everypony? Are you all ready?”
“Ready when you are!” She called from another room.

“Then we’re off.” Said Derpibra.