• Published 27th Mar 2016
  • 361 Views, 2 Comments

Conquest of the Mark of the Dragon - Fateful Pony



Applejack expresses concern to her friends about Derpibra lacking a cutie mark at his age, but things take a different turn.

  • ...
 2
 361

The Mane Six

Conquest of the Mark

Chapter 1 - The Mane Six



Applejack, continuing down the dirt path to her royal associate’s castle, Princess Twilight Sparkle, on the warm morning of Tuesday, date October twenty seven, and the time being a relatively early nine o’ clock. The town of Ponyville seemed rather quiet today, and since time has rotated once again this year, the sun appeared to be rather sluggish with its progression even at this time.

The cool breeze made its way through Applejack’s golden mane as she trotted with a steady pace, producing mild sweat as she moved vigorously. Within minutes, she arrived at the location in question.

She approached the towering doors of the castle, knocking on it audibly. “Twi? Ya’ll in there?”

The doors adopted a purple glow, creaking ajar quickly, revealing a purple alicorn before her. “Applejack!” She greeted with a warm smile. “You’re here early. Is there anything I can help you with?”

Applejack’s eyes shifted off to the side. “Well, yeah Twi. Mind if I come in? It’s a little… personal, but not for me.”

Twilight’s face shifted to a look of concern. “Uh.. sure.”

Applejack made her way inside as Twilight shut the colossal doors behind her. Twilight led her to a royal circular table surrounded by throne-like chairs.

Twilight took a seat and made herself comfortable. “So, what’s gotten you all secretive?”

Applejack sat down and rested her hooves on the table. “Ya see Twi, I met this gray pegasus stallion, kinda looks like a zebra, but ain’t one.”

Twilight twirled a part of her mane around a hoof. “He’s a rare genetic breed. They are referred to as Zoids-”

Applejack, realizing her brainiac friend was about to tread off topic, continued her explanation; “And, he’s a really emotional stallion and whatnot. He’s cross eyed and looks kinda handsome.” She took her hat off. “But the reason why I’m here is ‘cause he doesn't have a cutiemark and he’s something like eighteen now.”

Twilight quirked a brow. “Eighteen? No cutiemark? Wow, that’s unheard of… what’s his name?”

She blushed before she muttered: “Derpibra.”

“That name sounds close to a mare I know in town... “ Twilight leaned in. “What is he like? Maybe I can help him if you can tell me a bit about him.”

Applejack tossed her golden pony tail across her shoulder. “He’s mighty handsome. He’s really sensitive though.”

“Sensitive?”

Applejack nodded. “Yeah. He asked me if I wanted to be in a relationship, and I said no. He started crying his eyes out and later on started singing about me. All of this happened yesterday, just ask Pinkie.”

“What happened afterwards?” Twilight sat up straight, adjusting herself comfortably.

“I felt a mighty bit bad for what I did. I didn’t know he liked me that much. Honestly, I kinda liked him too, but I was scared that since I never been in a relationship, I wouldn’t have meet his expectations.” She placed her accessory back upon her head. “But it seemed like it woulda happened either way at the time.”

“I see…” Twilight pondered. “He’s that sensitive? What’d you do afterwards?”

Applejack smirked. “I accepted him, like Pinkie said. I had to fix his broken heart.”

“Mm hm…” As Applejack refocused her vision onto Twilight, she noticed that her purple Princess was scribbling on a notepad.

“Uh… is that necessary?”

“What?” Twilight kept her eyes glued to her paper. “I must take notes on this. If we are to help him, I need as much as data as I can muster!” She cheered. “Applejack, gather everypony together and bring them here. We got work to do!”





Twilight’s friends gathered around the table but an half hour later, including the gray stallion.
As he had no place to sit, and as such, he decided to seat himself on the table.

“I still don’t understand why you don’t have a mark yet!” Rainbow Dash’s wings flapped as she maintained her altitude. “It’s kinda weird you know.”

“Well I don’t know!” Derpibra retorted. “...I just haven’t discovered my talent yet I guess.”

“And that’s why we are here.” Twilight rested her notes on the table. “So, from what I gathered, it seems that you are…” She ran her eyes over her notes one last time. “Gentle, sensitive, fragile hearted, but you have a desire to adventure. You aren’t very physically strong, but you can do pretty well with problem solving and puzzles, right?”

“Yeah. I prefer to fight with my mind, since I can barely fight with my muscles, ha.” He cackled.

“You remind me of Fluttershy darling.” Rarity responded softly.

Fluttershy blushed, slightly embarrassed.

“Well, let’s see… what are you interested in?” Twilight questioned.

Derpibra pondered for a surprisingly lengthy minute before he finally answered: “I feel like I’m into a bunch of stuff. Honestly, I can’t say specifically.”

“If I may make a suggestion,” Rarity fluffed her mane. “What if we were to figure out what you are good at doing? In other words, a talent you might have dear.”

“I seem to be a jack of trades. I’m not super amazing at everything I do, but I do show skill in them.” He shrugged. “But, if I had to choose something, I’d say… Video games?”

“You don’t sound very sure of that.” Rainbow Dash pointed out. “What about flying, huh? You got those huge wings with ya. Do you ever use em?”

“Nah.” With a shake of his head, he continued: “I don’t fly too often.”

“Really? What a waste of feathers.”

“Rainbow Dash!” Rarity called to her. “Don’t be so rash! Not every pegasus is the same darling.”

She rolled her eyes in response.

Rarity ignored her pegasus friend and continued on. “What about fashion?”

“Rare,” Applejack started. “He’s a stallion, so I’m pretty sure he wouldn’t be into makeup and all that fancy stuff you’re into.”

Rarity smirked at her statement. “I’m simply throwing out ideas. Don’t be so quick to shut it down my dear Applejack.”

Twilight nodded. “She has a point. If he’s that serious about his mark, then any idea will have to do. So, are you into fashion or no?” She tapped her chin with pencil, presumably ready to write again.

He rocked on the table to keep his mind busy. “I have some knowledge about it, but not a whole lot for it to be a talent. I’m not real passionate about it I guess.”

“Do… Do you like animals?” Fluttershy inquired weakly.

“I do have kind of a soft spot for animals and nature, but what are you getting at?” He quirked a brow.

“I take of animals and I give them the best care. Wouldn’t you do the same?” She smiled.

“Yeah, no doubt, but that’s not my talent either.” His eyes wandered off before refocusing them onto her. “Don’t get me wrong, I like nature too, but I’m too much of an animal pony like you are, sorry.”

Twilight dropped her pencil. “That’s it!” She exclaimed.

Her friends winced hastily at her sudden outburst.

She blushed embarrassingly then attempted to giggle it off. “Sorry about that… hey, I just thought of something.”

“What’cha got egghead?” Rainbow Dash jested.

Twilight rolled her eyes then continued. “No two marks can be the same… I’ve never seen anyone with cutie marks that are even close to being similar with each other.”

Applejack cackled. “‘Cept for the Cutie Mark Crusaders. Thier marks are pretty much the same, kinda.”

Twilight frowned in cognition. “Ah yes, of course…”

“This isn’t getting anywhere is it?” Derpibra asked, agitated. “I have no idea what I’m good at doing, even after all these years, and you all don’t seem to have any solid ideas or anything.” He shook his head disapprovingly. “Am I just gonna be a blank flank my whole life?”

Twilight glanced over her notes and responded: “No, you won’t be. We will be certain it won’t happen that way.”

“How?”

“...We have sources, many, many sources. Connections, techniques, and best of all- research.” She had a small grin at the very thought of what great many activities her and her friends would endure. And it was all for the benefit of her newest stallion friend. What’s not to love?

“You need more than books to discover your mark dear.” Said Rarity. “We must adventure and find his true purpose beyond the covers and vellums of a book!”

“That’s how I obtained mines.” Twilight argued. “I discovered my talent through constant research and practice with magic.”

“Remember what you said Twilight? No two marks can be the same.” Rarity rebuttled. “And that’s only one of three issues with your statement darling. He’s a pegasus, so he can’t cast magic. That, and he does look as if he’s incapable of reading books. Not that his illiterate, but he’s-”

“Cross-eyed?” Derpibra finished. “I can read just fine, even with my eyes like this. I got used to seeing in two different directions at once. That’s why my head is always at an angle when I talk to ponies, or looking at anything in general.” He adjusted his posture more comfortably as he sat on the table. “And besides, I’m not a bookworm, so even if I could read straight- normally straight, I woulda turned down the idea anyway.”

“You seem to be mighty fine at makin’ arguments though.” Applejack jested.

“Thanks Apple Pie, but it’s just common sense.” He responded blankly,but he did catch onto her musing. He was more concerned about his mark now, although he previously did not care for it much before.

“Apple Pie? Awwwww!” Pinkie Pie scrunched her cheeks with her forehooves.

“Uh, Pinkie?” Derpibra cracked a smile.

“Don’t mind her Mister Derpibra. Pinkie can be a little… distracting at times, but it’s all in good nature.” Rarity giggled at Pinkie Pie’s emotional performance.

“Not that I thought it was a bad thing…” Derpibra tilted his head at Twilight. “Hey, what was that idea you had earlier before we got sidetracked?”

Twilight had to ponder deeply to recover her memory. “... Well let’s see… if, based off of what you said earlier, we- ourselves, do not have any means of getting you your mark...” Twilight gathered her thoughts as she trotted over to a bookcase, withdrawing a multi-colored, dictionary-like book from the highest shelf. “Then let’s direct you to an expert- a group of experts.”

“Group?”

“A group of three.” Twilight flipped through the book as she placed it on the table next to him, allowing everyone to look. “Just as Applejack said earlier- the Cutie Mark Crusaders. Their talents focuses on- quite literally- helping others find their talents. They will be a great deal of assistance to you I bet.”

“Sounds good. Where can I find them, and how are they like?”

“They are a group of school phillies who goes to school in the Ponyville Schoolhouse. They’re really friendly, and are always looking for potential members in their club.” Twilight gave him a map of Ponyville, stashed in a straw basket across the room. “I’ll mark it on your map here. Make your way there and talk to them. They go by the names of Applebloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo.”

“Thanks. Anything else I should know?”

Twilight levitated a purple courier bag over to him, so he may use it for easy containment of anything he deems interesting. “They might find it odd that a grown stallion is seeking their help, so don’t be surprised if they look at you weird when you first meet them. Also, since they go to school, they won’t always be available to assist you. Now, good luck!”

“Thank you- all of you, for helping me out. Let’s hope this works.” He leaped over to Applejack and pecked her on her rough but natural muzzle. Applejack turned into a shade of red-orange shortly after.

“Time to dash!” He shouted with confidence as he charged out of the castle in pursuit of his contacts.